PDA

View Full Version : Best King Decade

mae
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Under the Dome will be the last King book this decade. As the calendar turns to 2010 in a few months, Stephen King will have published books in four different decades. Which is your favorite, and why?

flaggwalkstheline
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I cant vote in this
its too hard
in the 70s he released one classic after another like the shining and carrie and salems lot and the stand in the 80s he continued spitting out masterpieces with stuff like it and cujo, in the 90s he reinvented the prison story AND the serial novel at the same time while never letting his quality slip on many other novels and this decade, well this decade he finished the dark tower stories
so nope not voting

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Have to go with the eighties because of the volume of great work. But the fact that Salems Lot, The Shining and The Stand were all 70's made it tough.

Sam
09-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I have to say also that this is a very difficult decision. Having said that, I am eliminating our current decade in my thought process. While I do believe King has written some of his best work in Duma Key and On Writing, he has also written what for me was a somewhat disappointing ending for The Dark Tower series beginning with Song of Susannah as well as Dreamcatcher which is one of the two King novels I have simply put down and never finished. (The Tommyknockers is the other.)

The 90's saw the publication of the uncut The Stand, but that tome should be considered in the 70's since the whole thing should have been published then. They also saw The Green Mile, Bag of Bones, DT IV: Wizard and Glass, Dolores Claiborne, and Insomnia. Unfortunately Gerald's Game was also published during this decade as well.

The 80's began with Firestarter (one of my favorites) and ended with The Dark Half (and two Limited Editions, Dolan's Cadillac and My Pretty Pony). In between them we saw, The Tommyknockers (ugh), Misery, DT II: The Drawing of the Three, Eyes of the Dragon, Pet Semetary, DT I: The Gunslinger, Cujo, and IT (always capitalize both letters, IT deserves it) as well as others. HUGE decade for King fans.

The 70's is where it all began. In 1974 Carrie was published and shortly followed by Salem's Lot. 1976 saw no King book published and then he proceeded to publish two a year for the rest of the decade. (He had to catch up you know.) Rage and The Shining in 1977, Night Shift and The Stand in 1978, and The Long Walk and The Dead Zone in 1979. That's eight books published in FIVE years in a time when authors often didn't publish even one a year. Many still don't. Not every book he published that decade is great (Carrie is still a good read though, and Night Shift is a collection and collections don't count).

VERY tough choice here. Some hits, some misses, and an assload of home runs.

As I look through the decades, I see misses in each decade except the 70's for me. I am not very fond of Night Shift, but there are some very good stories in there as well. I have to pick the 70's as his best decade. Not because the books are my favorite (though The Stand IS my favorite), but because in my opinion what he published that decade can be held up to everything he has published since then, 35 years later, and is as fresh as what has been published just recently.

I've read quite a few "first novels" (the first few books of an author) after reading an author's works and most of them show in their writing that they were written early in the author's career. King's works don't show that to me. So I'm going with the 70's.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I've read quite a few "first novels" (the first few books of an author) after reading an author's works and most of them show in their writing that they were written early in the author's career. King's works don't show that to me. So I'm going with the 70's.

I usually feel that an authors first few are usually their best, as it seems to me that after an author has written a large volume of work, they dont have as many unique ideas.

mae
09-14-2009, 04:39 AM
The 80's began with Firestarter (one of my favorites) and ended with The Dark Half (and two Limited Editions, Dolan's Cadillac and My Pretty Pony). In between them we saw, The Tommyknockers (ugh), Misery, DT II: The Drawing of the Three, Eyes of the Dragon, Pet Semetary, DT I: The Gunslinger, Cujo, and IT (always capitalize both letters, IT deserves it) as well as others. HUGE decade for King fans.

This is the reason I chose the '80s, myself. My favorite King novel came from this decade, Pet Sematary. And a bunch of other great books as well, like It, Firestarter, Cujo, Skeleton Crew, not to mention the best DT book in my opinion, DT2.

Of course other decades contain their own pearls, but I think the body of work as well as the language is King at his highest in the '80s.

Melike
09-14-2009, 06:40 AM
80's.
It, Christine, Night Shift, Eyes of the Dragon, Misery, Pet Semetary...
The Gunslinger!

Darkthoughts
09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Wow. This is hard! I like King stuff from all over the place, timewise...IT, Different Seasons, Black House, Insomnia, Firestarter, Drawing Of The Three, Wolves Of The Calla...

But, I think I might go with the 2000's just because I loved Lisey's Story and Duma Key with a passion and I just want to give a nod to how brilliantly I think he's matured as a writer, without losing his touch.

mae
09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
It seems the '90s aren't very popular. But some of my favorite KIng books came from that decade: The Green Mile, Insomnia, Rose Madder, etc.

Sam
09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
My biggest problem was choosing between the 90's and the 70's. I chose the 70's because he was SO consistent then and not quite so consistent in the 90's.

candy
09-14-2009, 12:08 PM
My biggest problem was choosing between the 90's and the 70's. I chose the 70's because he was SO consistent then and not quite so consistent in the 90's.

could not have put it better myself. so i wont.:thumbsup:
instead i will say i was torn between the 70's and the 80's

i chose the 80's only because more of the books then are now my favourites.

i also like nearly all of his books even - da da dah
lisey's story, but please dont hate me for it:huglove:

Sam
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Lisey's Story is a very good story. I found it very romantic and touching. It could be because I was very afraid I was losing my wife while I was reading it. Just a few days after I finished it, we learned she had advanced breast cancer. With Lisey's Story fresh in my mind, I found a deeper appreciation for it.

cody44
09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I think it would have to go to the 80's. You have the Talisman, Skeleton Crew, IT, Misery, Different Seasons, and Pet Semetary. That's an impressive 10 years of writing.

Melike
09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Lisey's Story is a very good story. I found it very romantic and touching. It could be because I was very afraid I was losing my wife while I was reading it. Just a few days after I finished it, we learned she had advanced breast cancer. With Lisey's Story fresh in my mind, I found a deeper appreciation for it.

Sam:huglove:.
I love Lisey's Story.

SkippyD023
09-15-2009, 04:57 AM
It is very tough to pick just one decade, they all have their good and bad... Since I needed to choose just one for the vote, I also selected the 80's. Different Seasons (the book that started it for me), Pet Sematary, The Tailsman, Skelton Crew, IT ... and the list goes on.

Myste
10-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Had to go with 80's too...

stone, rose, unfound door
12-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I voted for the 1970s because as someone put it, he wrote one classic after another. Most of my favourites were written in the 70s so I guess it figures...
But it's still hard choosing!

mae
12-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, only three people for the post-1980s King.

pathoftheturtle
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM

I usually feel that an authors first few are usually their best, as it seems to me that after an author has written a large volume of work, they dont have as many unique ideas.That's one way of putting things, BC, but, as in other areas of life, youthful energy gives way to experience and knowledge. An older writer has different abilities than a good, young one. I think there is some truth in both of your theories, and SK certainly has done great, if distinct, work in either incarnation.
I wouldn't vote for this decade, I don't count any single thing as really of his best work, but I could almost vote for the 90s. Some misses, but also some stuff that's awesome in specific ways.

Had to go with 80s, though. The 80s list is, indeed, just so impressive.

ChristineB
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry but I have to correct you on your decade assumption. The decade doesn't end until the stroke of midnight on the 31st of December 2010. There was no year 0 in our calander, remember?

Anywho, I went with the 80s, BUT... this was a very hard choice, I loved his work in the 70's and the 90's and 00's, it's just the 80's have the most that I loved in them (by 1 book).

mae
12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, I'm not disputing that but generally a decade starts on a year 0 and ends on a year 9. So when we say "the eighties", we mean the decade that started on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989.

Jean
12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, I'm not disputing that but generally a decade starts on a year 0 and ends on a year 9. So when we say "the eighties", we mean the decade that started on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989.
That's how bears define a decade, too. What starts with "0" isn't zero year, it's the "first" year, just like when someone's child is 5 months old it means he lives his first year of life.

pathoftheturtle
12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Technically, the year 2000 is the last year of the 1990's, but widespread social convention does hold otherwise. I figured that for this thread, the latter interpretation would be preferred, so I didn't try to bring it up. Why quibble?

Merlin1958
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I had to go with the 70's because I remember that his first books had a kinda, Beatles: is Paul dead?, thing running through it. For those not familiar, there was a sense that there was an underlying theme in his books (which as it turns out there was, i.e. Dark Tower) that was entwined with the "Physic Residue and Telepathic powers" that was abundant in his books. In fact, that new "twist" in horror writing was one of the things that first "hooked" me on SK. That and his uncanny character development. The Beatles reference has to do with the "play the Album backwards" thing that was going on and the anticipation of the next album with further clues. Exactly how I felt about each book that was published.

Sort of like trying to figure out "Lost". LOL Hope this makes sense to someone out there LOL LOL

mae
03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I forgot all about this poll, but I'm glad to see the '80s running away with it :) My favorite King decade, too.

mae
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Maybe we should add the 2010s to the poll now :unsure:

Jean
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I think I have, only don't know if it works, since I'd already voted

someone who hasn't voted yet should test it

mae
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
It shows up, but obviously you can't vote since you already did before.

Jean
03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
yes, so someone who is new should try to vote this decade

I can edit the vote later, should they want to change it

Dan
03-26-2012, 04:39 PM

I was your guinia pig. It works. If you like you can edit my vote to the 80s.

Garrell
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I voted the 80's but the 70's was close second and 2000's for 3rd.

Xile
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Yep. 80s is definitely the majority of titles that stand out to me. If he was nineteen when he started The Slinger what decade would that have been? 70s? 60s?

harrison ryan
03-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Yep. 80s is definitely the majority of titles that stand out to me. If he was nineteen when he started The Slinger what decade would that have been? 70s? 60s?

Jean
03-26-2012, 10:14 PM

I was your guinia pig. It works. If you like you can edit my vote to the 80s.

thank you!!! I have edited the poll accordingly, but as far as I know it will still show your vote for 2010th in italics, even though the count is 0 - there's no way I can change it; but in reality your vote is for the 80s.

Ben Mears
03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
I went with the 70s. Although SK has had an amazing career I find his 70s output to be his most visceral and powerful. As a young writer coming into his own I think he was the truest to himself, painting on new canvas so to speak, exploring themes for the first time and more in touch with his roots. Take way official publication dates and ponder what he wrote during that decade: Carrie, Blaze, 'Salem's Lot, The Body, Roadwork, The Running Man, The Shining, Apt Pupil, most of the stories in Night Shift, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, Pet Semetery, and Firestarter. That is one heck of a line-up!

misterman
08-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Hehe, I'm going with the 80's and I can even show my work!

October 1982 Creem Magazine article.

The language is colorful, it's a pretty good read, I bought this from Stu a few months before he closed up. Thought I might as well share the article.

You can click at the top for a full-size image here: http://twitpic.com/aphtp4

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/647483800.jpg?key=23333304&Expires=1346402978&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=2EwmjO-SSjPvzbM7F~jBxHV4V1LD22nVPJEFAMsYCCi3nYLfRXzWBEc9p fHJtf2STGAnglimGNe7doNmE8LXagc25g5gSmTaerPenA8JLjI u5Mx69MfDom5iNHl6cLLvlGL-GQbY2IxmSLsfH6Hpj0YrYgsahW5qIEPT6NNSBFs_

Joka42
09-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I voted 80'. It beats all.-