PDA

View Full Version : Favorite book series besides DT?

Pages : [1] 2

al'Lan Mandragoran
09-19-2007, 10:13 AM
I've seen many good books recommended by all of you on other threads, but I'm more of a series reader... I like my books to have several sequels. So what's your favorite series? Mine would have to be A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Matt
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I haven't read many series but I would have to go with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Those books had a deep and lasting effect on me the first time and every time I have read them since.

Great thread man :cool:

Patrick
09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Great thread idea, Lan.

I'm sure Harry Potter will show up a lot when this thread gets rolling, but personally I've only read the first two of those.

Off the top of my head:

Lord of the Rings

Odd Thomas

Chronicles of Narnia

Paddington the Bear

Ok, that last one was a very long time ago, but oh how I loved those books.

al'Lan Mandragoran
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Glad you like it. Hoping for more input by the time I get home... there are many good series out there that I'm sure none of us have heard of yet.

Patrick
09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Glad you like it. Hoping for more input by the time I get home... there are many good series out there that I'm sure none of us have heard of yet.
Yep, there are probably also some great series that I read so long ago that I've forgotten about them.

Matt
09-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree, I can't wait to see some that come up out here.

Mike Beck
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Obviously Harry Potter. *adjusts nerd glasses* :D

in no real order whatsoever:

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Dune
3. Harry Potter

Matt
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
I can't believe I forgot HP <_<

Daghain
09-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Harry Potter is the only one I can think of. :lol:

OchrisO
09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

MonteGss
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice (well the first couple anyway)
Necroscope series by Brian Lumley
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

I'd like to hear about others as well. I like reading/following series. :)

Arthur Heath
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I'll throw out some Orson Scott Card since I have yet to see it on the list.

The Ender quartet:
Enders Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

And if your really into it, theres always the corresponding Bean series:

Enders Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
HP and LOTR of course, but for me also:

PG Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster series
Robert B Parker - Spenser novels
Darren Shan - Vampire Saga
Neil Gaiman - The Sandman

Arthur Heath
09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Ooohh, graphic novels are fair game eh? Then I am also throwing out Garth Ennis Preacher series.

Daghain
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
PG Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster series

DBF would totally love you. :lol:

I forgot about the Anne Rice stuff. The Witching Hour was the only good one in that series, IMHO.

MonteGss
09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
The Witching Hour was the only good one in that series, IMHO.

I agree Daggers. I didn't enjoy all the crap about the Taltos. :lol: I like the backstories about the Mayfair family though.

sarah
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I really wanted to read the Song of Ice and Fire series but i just couldn't get into it.

for me, hands down, harry potter and the lord of the rings.

I'm also trying to get through His Dark Materials and The Twilight/New Moon/Eclipse series so i'll keep you posted.

fernandito
09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll throw out some Orson Scott Card since I have yet to see it on the list.

The Ender quartet:
Enders Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

And if your really into it, theres always the corresponding Bean series:

Enders Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

All of the books in the Ender universe are amazing. I think the rights to a movie were purchased already.

Telynn
09-19-2007, 04:15 PM
LOTR
HP
Ender
Thomas Covanent
Dragon riders of Pern
Anyone else ever read the Dernyi books by Katherine Kurtz?
Dune (First three)
Gateway/Heechee books
Song of Ice and Fire

And for a little bit of fluffy fun, the Myth Adventure series by Robert Asprin

Storyslinger
09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
LOTR and Hatchet

Letti
09-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Nobody has written "War and Peace" yet. :orely:

Mattrick
09-19-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't like fantasy so my book series is pretty limited.

My friend reaves about Odd Thomas, I'll get around to reading it at some point.

So, besides that, I would have to say:

- Jurassic Park/Lost World
- Dexter
- Lord of the Rings (meh)

OchrisO
09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I can't believe noone else has said Sword of Truth. Everyone go out immediately and pick up Wizard's First Rule. You won't regret it. I tried to convince Erin to read it for a long time, because she always said she didn't like fantasy. I told her that if she read this one it would get her into fantasy. I finally went out and bought a copy of Wizard's First Rule and handed it to her so she would read it. She then read the next 10 books almost straight through, I think. It is really an amazing series. Terry Goodkind really has a way with making you care about teh characters.

MonteGss
09-20-2007, 03:14 AM

Because it is only one book, silly. :)

Jean
09-20-2007, 03:51 AM
how about the Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny? I don't recomment it, mind you, I only want to remind you that it exists.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 06:17 AM

It might as well be one with how long it is :D

Letti
09-20-2007, 06:33 AM

It might as well be one with how long it is :D
Uh sorry. I think in Hungarian it's more than one book...

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Really, I would be amazed to see such a rare thing, at least to me.
Do you think you could find it Letti

Jean
09-20-2007, 06:36 AM
it consists of 4 volumes - not because it is so long that can't be fitted into one volume for reasons of convenience, but because Leo Tolstoy conceived it as a four-volume novel. But it is definitely not a series, and the volumes are not separate parts.

I am not sure, by the way, that the DT is a bona fide series, either. It started, developed, culminated, and ended; isn't it just a long novel consisting of 7 volumes?

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Fair enough, well put

Letti
09-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Jean... you have saved me...
I started to feel sooo stupid. :D
Thank you.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 06:40 AM
It would be immpossible for you to be stupid Letti :couple:

Letti
09-20-2007, 06:50 AM
It would be immpossible for you to be stupid Letti :couple:
Don't tell it to anyone but it's in my veins... ;)

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I don't believe it :couple:

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Oh, Sandman! I need to add Sandman to my list as well.

Fall of Gilead
09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
The Malazan Boook of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
The Demonwar series by R.A. Salvatore

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 08:18 AM
it consists of 4 volumes - not because it is so long that can't be fitted into one volume for reasons of convenience, but because Leo Tolstoy conceived it as a four-volume novel. But it is definitely not a series, and the volumes are not separate parts.

I am not sure, by the way, that the DT is a bona fide series, either. It started, developed, culminated, and ended; isn't it just a long novel consisting of 7 volumes?

i suppose you could argue that Lord of the Rings is not a series either. just one long novel. Harry Potter too.

Jean
09-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't know. I see how HP could, theoretically, go on and on and on, with all them sons and heirs. LotR is rather amorphous and, though the ring has been destroyed, it never seemed to me so really crucial - the lore is spacious, there's always room for more creatures and more artefacts etc etc. I see your point, though. If there isn't an official definition of "series" somewhere, it may be not easy to define in every particular case.

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 08:46 AM
i always thought LotR was a standalone story compared to the Silmarillion and Lost Tales, and the numerous books he wrote that were all tied to middle earth.

I don't know. I'm getting all fuzzy on this "is it a series or not" business. It is a little tough to determine.

Jean
09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
supposing, a novel (however long) is a single story (with multiple lines combining to form a whole - doors, rose, beams, todash, the development of all characters etc all culminate towards the denouement), while a series is more or less independent stories in the same setting, with more or less same key characters. (I can see the week point of this, of course, - it's the "more or less" part...) Thus, neither LotR or HP is a series, but they both have at least a potential to be developed into one, while TDT, in my opinion, is exactly what it is.

(HP too, on second thought...)

Matt
09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess that would make my "People of the..." books a series.

Even though they really have nothing to do with each other. Characters in some end up as legends in others to there is continuity.

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Dune is a good example, because each of the books is basically a self-contained story. Harry Potter, for the most part, as well. There's a problem and resolution at the end of each book, even though there's an overall theme and conflicts that take place over the course of the entire thing.

LotR continues from one book to the next, as does the DT series.

I agree that they have the potential to become series.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
MORE DT BOOKS, lets tell King we want a real series

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
yeah! let's see an entire novel all about Randall Flagg. Or a novel all about the Fall of Gilead and the Battle of Jericho Hill.

Oooh, i'd like that, yessir.

Jean
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
MORE DT BOOKS, lets tell King we want a real series

I dread the thought... no, really. It's perfect as it is. I wouldn't mind creating an additional series, though, to combine with Little Sisters of Eluria. Just more Roland backstory; I suppose something that happened to the second ka-tet was omitted, too, and now I would gladly read about it... but not as part of the novel. The novel is finished.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 09:26 AM
That is exactly what I want too

Jean
09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
let's hope! I doubt this will ever happen, but I'll hope anyway
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Mike Beck
09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
exactly. like the Silmarillion or Lost Tales to LotR.

Just some fun shit to shed more light on Roland's world and side stories. Eluria is a perfect example.

Mike Beck
is that a three bear salute. :D

Storyslinger
I shall also hope

Letti
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Cry your pardon Jean maybe in this post of yours (#38 here) you should use a spoiler about the ending of LOTR.

Jean
09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I will now sweetheart http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif
(another three bears salute!)
(wish I had kissing bear smilies... for my Nikolett)

Letti
09-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks a lot.

al'Lan Mandragoran
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Wow... so many posts in just two short days! And so many good series! I'll have a field day writing all of them down.

Daghain
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah, we are a bunch of readers, we are. :lol:

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Good shout! I particularly love books featuring Esme Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg - the Tiffany Aching books were excellent too.

Letti
09-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Wow... so many posts in just two short days! And so many good series! I'll have a field day writing all of them down.
good thread = many posts ;)

al'Lan Mandragoran
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Hmm... I need to add a few more series. My little sister managed to force me into reading a few books she likes, and The Enchanted Forest isn't a bad children's series, though adult is much better. The Wheel of Time is another one, and the Camulod Chronicles, for those of us who love stories of arthur, it is how the wizard Merlin grew up and things that happened to create excalibur and the evolution of Britain.

Matt
09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
That last one sounds really interesting, I may have to check that out.

fernandito
09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Has anyone read The Dark is Rising series? The first movie , which I believe is based on the 2nd book, is due out soon, and I wanted to look into the books before I see the movie(s).

Mike Beck
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
I haven't finished it yet, but the Night Watch trilogy has been pretty good so far.

russian vampires and dark wizards and vortexes and blood and people that change into animals. neat stuff. the movie was good too, but the book is already better, as they almost always are.

OchrisO
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't finished it yet, but the Night Watch trilogy has been pretty good so far.

russian vampires and dark wizards and vortexes and blood and people that change into animals. neat stuff. the movie was good too, but the book is already better, as they almost always are.

I saw a trailer for the second movie yesterday. It made me happy in the pants.

Erin
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
I can't believe noone else has said Sword of Truth. Everyone go out immediately and pick up Wizard's First Rule. You won't regret it. I tried to convince Erin to read it for a long time, because she always said she didn't like fantasy. I told her that if she read this one it would get her into fantasy. I finally went out and bought a copy of Wizard's First Rule and handed it to her so she would read it. She then read the next 10 books almost straight through, I think. It is really an amazing series. Terry Goodkind really has a way with making you care about teh characters.

For real, The Sword of Truth books are freaking awesome. And like Chris said, I read them all back to back without stopping and never got bored. And these are all 500-700+ paged books.

Really, really good stuff. The final book comes out November 13! :nana:

Darkthoughts
09-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Has anyone read The Dark is Rising series? The first movie , which I believe is based on the 2nd book, is due out soon, and I wanted to look into the books before I see the movie(s).
Blimey!! Blast from the past!! I read those books when I was about 10/11...really good, a little dated when I reread them years later - but i think things you loved in childhood should often be left there for fear of spoiling them:thumbsup: A movie though?!:doh: ...why do they keep doing that? Is it English or American FP?

Mike Beck
09-25-2007, 05:02 AM

no shit? i saw the movie with bootleg subtitles and it was really hard to follow. i'm interested in catching it again in hopes that it makes more sense this time around.

:pirate:

OchrisO
09-25-2007, 06:21 AM

no shit? i saw the movie with bootleg subtitles and it was really hard to follow. i'm interested in catching it again in hopes that it makes more sense this time around.

:pirate:

There's an american release now that is actually very well dubbed and much easier to follow.

Mike Beck
09-25-2007, 06:22 AM
awesome! is it in theaters or on dvd?

the chalk of destiny. it just sounds cool. :D

fernandito
09-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Blimey!! Blast from the past!! I read those books when I was about 10/11...really good, a little dated when I reread them years later - but i think things you loved in childhood should often be left there for fear of spoiling them:thumbsup: A movie though?!:doh: ...why do they keep doing that? Is it English or American FP?

What are they about, exactly? In the previews it seems that the main character has the power of telekinesis, and he even lit a bunch of candles by simply looking at them.

And one of the old guys in the preview was wearing a top-derby hat, so I'm assuming it's British...aren't they all? :lol:

Darkthoughts
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Its by a British author, Susan someone I think, its a trilogy - the books are boxed up somewhere. Its about this family (just the kids really) that have to battle some powers of darkness aided by their Uncle Merry who sounds suspiciously like Merlin. Its kinda like Lord of the Rings meets the Famous Five :lol:

Wuducynn
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
I love the Dark Is Rising Sequence as its called for some reason. Especially The Grey King, Silver On The Tree and The Dark Is Rising. I LOVE those books. I'm glad someone mentioned them.

fernandito
09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Don't mention it. :D I saw the boxed set on amazaaan.caaaam for about $20 something USD, seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Harrald
09-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I would have to say one of my favorites are the "Ender Wiggins" books. Pretty profound with a plethora of things to make you rethink what you know.

They are

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide

There are others but these three are the main story.

Telynn
09-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Harrald, have you read the shadow series? The first book, Ender's Shadow (I think) is Ender's Game from a different point of view, Bean. I loved those books. I love, love, love Bean.

fernandito
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Bean is the shiznit. I need to pick up Shadow of The Giant, it's the only Bean book I haven't read yet.

Telynn
09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh! You have got to read it. Now!

Harrald
09-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, I've read them all. I enjoyed them, just not as much as the first three. In the rumor mill the Shadow books will be used to help make and fill out an "Enders Game" movie. I've spoken to someone close to David Benioff (the executive producer) and it seems to still be in the works.

This is another group of books I would be more than happy to see Not turned into a movie(s). Enders Game had such an impact on me I don't want to have it spoiled.

Harrald, have you read the shadow series? <<SNIP>>

Harrald
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I forgot "The Chronicles of Narnia" books. I loved them when I read them, I must have been and 11 or 12 at the time. Great warm ups for "The Hobbit" and the LOTRs books.

Telynn
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I read my son The Hobbit when he was around 2 or 3. Skipped some of the longer, heavier parts but he loved it. He actually remembers me reading it to him.

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Thats awesome and humbling all at once, what a memory to have

fernandito
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I wish my parents had read to me as a child, all I got was "go to sleep or I'll smack ya!!" (en espa&#241;ol)

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I never got read to either, :cry:, but I read on my own when I learned how
That'll show you mom and dad

Daghain
09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Bummer guys. My mom used to read to me a LOT when I was little (which is probably why I studied English Lit :lol:). We had most of the Dr. Seuss collection at one point. :D

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Dr.Seuss kick butt, but some of those things scared the shit out of me :scared:

Daghain
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
:lol: Grimm's Fairy Tales. THOSE were scary! :D

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
The origanals were pretty damn scary

Daghain
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes, yes they were. :lol:

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
:scared: :lol:

Telynn
09-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Or depressing. I read the orginal story of Hans Christain Anderson's The Little Mermaid once. It ends REALLY sad. :cry:

ManOfWesternesse
10-12-2007, 06:09 AM

For real, The Sword of Truth books are freaking awesome. And like Chris said, I read them all back to back without stopping and never got bored. And these are all 500-700+ paged books.

Really, really good stuff. The final book comes out November 13! :nana:
I wrote this one down in the 'wish-list' in the back of my wallet.
Sounds like it would be worth a try. (I love finding a new long series!)

Some of my favourite fantasy series' (not in any order)

Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
King - Dark Tower
Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (First Chron. + Second + Last (work-in-progress)
Jordan - -Wheel of Time
Martin - A Song od Ice and Fire
Feist - Magician trilogy (Magician + Silverthorn + Darkness at Sethannon)
Feist & Wurts - Empire Trilogy (Daughter of the Empire + Mistress of... + servant of...)
Julian May - Saga of the Exiles

Wuducynn
10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Some of my favourite fantasy series' (not in any order)

Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
King - Dark Tower
Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (First Chron. + Second + Last (work-in-progress)
Jordan - -Wheel of Time
Martin - A Song od Ice and Fire
Feist & Wurts - Empire Trilogy (Daughter of the Empire + Mistress of... + servant of...)
Julian May - Saga of the Exiles

Ever read The Dark is Rising Sequence, Brian?

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Harry potter only thing i can thick of at the moment

Cutter
10-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen
Terry Brooks - Shanarra
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Gap Cycle & The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Tolkien - Middle Earth
C.S. Lewis - Narnia
Martin - Ice and Fire
H.P. Lovecraft - The Cthulhu Mythos
F. Paul Wilson - The Adversary Cycle
Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas & Frankenstein
Gary A. Braunbeck - The Cedar Hill Stories
Douglas Clegg - The Vampyricon

and I'm sure there are a lot of others that I have loved, but just can't remember right now. :)

Harrald
10-12-2007, 01:09 PM
My wife loved these books. I on the other hand struggled to read each page. There have been many a heated debate in our house over these books.

<<SNIP>>
<<SNIP>>

Wuducynn
10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
C.S. Lewis - Narnia

H.P. Lovecraft - The Cthulhu Mythos

:thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup: :cool:

Telynn
10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I have to admit, I also liked all the Drizzt books. Even though Salvatore is the exact opposite to King when it comes to killing off characters. He can't leave anyone dead.

Erin
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I read my son The Hobbit when he was around 2 or 3. Skipped some of the longer, heavier parts but he loved it. He actually remembers me reading it to him.

That's awesome. I remember my mom reading James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte's Web to me as a kid. And I remember my dad reading the pop-up book Goodnight Moon to me as well.

Darkthoughts
10-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Faery Tale is the only book of Feist's I've read. I was quite enjoyable - is it typical of his work?

Telynn
10-19-2007, 06:38 PM

That's awesome. I remember my mom reading James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte's Web to me as a kid. And I remember my dad reading the pop-up book Goodnight Moon to me as well.

I read Goodnight Moon to my kids so many times I had it memorized.

Fall of Gilead
10-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I have to admit, I also liked all the Drizzt books. Even though Salvatore is the exact opposite to King when it comes to killing off characters. He can't leave anyone dead.

He managed it some in the Demonwar series. :thumbsup:

BlakeMP
10-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Geez, how to choose? Harry Potter, Ender, Discworld...

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Aaah :)

David Eddings - Belgariad / Mallorean & the two prequels (his other series is alright, lots of similarities, and i wouldnt bother reading anything else he's done as its become quite crap, unfortunately)
Frank Herbert - Dune Series
Ray Feist - Riftwar & Serpentwar series
Jordan - Wheel of Time

I started the Terry Goodkind series but it kinda peters out towards the end. . i dont even know if he finished it or not

BlakeMP
10-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I never got in to Wheel of Time... everyone I know who's read it told me that it starts to meander after a while.

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
This is true, i had to print out this 100 page synopsis when the last book came out as i had nfi what was happening, the plot is quite complex

BlakeMP
10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
A 100-page SYNOPSIS?

Yeeeeeeah... that seems a bit much for me.

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
yeah i know :)

ManOfWesternesse
10-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Ever read The Dark is Rising Sequence, Brian?
No CK! Who/what etc?.... (never heard of it - but I'm willing to try most things!)

My wife loved these books. I on the other hand struggled to read each page. There have been many a heated debate in our house over these books.

<<SNIP>>
<<SNIP>>
I love that series Harrald. Have read it over again many times. Was in the shop Saturday looking for 'Fatal Revenant', but even though it was released Thursday it has not reached this remote part of the world yet! Looking forward immensely to it.

Faery Tale is the only book of Feist's I've read. I was quite enjoyable - is it typical of his work?
That's brilliant Darkthoughts! - faery Tale is probably the ONLY Feist I have NOT read! (because the plotline on the back of the book always looked totally un-typical of his other work I guess! - I'll remedy that one of these days)
'Magician' is the best place to start if you want to give it a go. Extremely good Fantasy. I venture to guess you would not be dissapointed.

Darkthoughts
10-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks - I'll pick it up next time I'm at Waterstones. Faery Tale wasn't something I'd have picked up myself, but I was lent it by someone who waxed lyrical about it and couldn't say no :D
It wasn't the best book ever, but the setting and plot were very good.

ZoNeSeeK
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Magician is one of the most epic and amazing first books of a series I have ever read. On a par with Dune.

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 05:38 AM
So many great series: My list includes:

The Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter 1-7
Dune (more to come still)
Ender's Game and sequels
The Shanarra Series
Terry Goodkind's Sword in Truth series
Sinclair Lewis - Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, that Hideous Strength
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and follow ons
Odd Thomas Series
Clan of the Cave Bear and follon stories
Chronicles of Thomas the Covenant

ZoNeSeeK
10-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Chris: I loved the dragonlance series aswell .. in a way that was one of the more contemporary pioneers of modern epic fantasy i think.

Jean
10-23-2007, 10:28 PM

hmm, I should have a look at this one...

ManOfWesternesse
10-24-2007, 03:14 AM

Are you saying you were Jean Auel's inspiration for the series JeanBear?

Hmmmmm 'Jean' - 'Jondalar' - similar??:ninja:

Jean
10-24-2007, 03:29 AM

Are you saying you were Jean Auel's inspiration for the series JeanBear?

Hmmmmm 'Jean' - 'Jondalar' - similar??:ninja:
I should look deeper into that. I know, however, for a fact, that my ancestors inspired both Goldilock and Winnie-the-Pooh, as well as the main male character of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon; it also runs in the family to guard one of the Beams.

ManOfWesternesse
10-24-2007, 05:10 AM
I should look deeper into that. I know, however, for a fact, that my ancestors inspired both Goldilock and Winnie-the-Pooh, as well as the main male character of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon; it also runs in the family to guard one of the Beams.

And of course you need to stay in shape as, should they get around to making 'The Hobbit' one of these days, you will certainly be needed to play Beorn.
Hit the gym man!

Storyslinger
10-24-2007, 05:12 AM
:D

al'Lan Mandragoran
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I just remembered the name of an awsome trilogy I read a year or two back, The Tears of Artamon series. Mainly about this under-appreciated artist getting dragged by his coat collar back to a homeland he never knew existed except in stories by savages claiming he's their king. He also happens to be partially possessed by a demonic dragon thing. The first book is Lord of Snow and Shadows, and all three are by Sarah Ash.

Wuducynn
10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
No CK! Who/what etc?.... (never heard of it - but I'm willing to try most things!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_is_Rising_Sequence

They're written by Susan Cooper. The Dark is Rising and Grey King are Newbury Award winners I believe. They're fantastic. Its like trying to accurately describe the Dark Tower series; very hard to do. All I can say is that it is a series involving a different take on Arthurian and British Isles pagan traditions involving a profound time traveling quest. Intricately and richly told. Okay, that description sucked serious ass. But it was the best I could do.

cozener
10-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I am not sure, by the way, that the DT is a bona fide series, either. It started, developed, culminated, and ended; isn't it just a long novel consisting of 7 volumes?By that rationale, aren't all series?

Oh and I read the Amber series, Jean. Loved it when I was 14. Not so sure I could get into it now though so I don't think I could recommend it either. But as I recall I really enjoyed the first 5 books...the ones that dealt with Corwin. After that I lost interest.

Jean
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I am not sure, by the way, that the DT is a bona fide series, either. It started, developed, culminated, and ended; isn't it just a long novel consisting of 7 volumes?1. By that rationale, aren't all series?

2. Oh and I read the Amber series, Jean. Loved it when I was 14. Not so sure I could get into it now though so I don't think I could recommend it either. But as I recall I really enjoyed the first 5 books...the ones that dealt with Corwin. After that I lost interest.
1. I am not sure. I can confess I haven't read many series, though, but it's the "ended" part that I'm most hesitant about. To me it feels like a novel is written with the denouement inevitable, revealing the truth of the whole story in the end; while a series is something that, theoretically, could go on forever.

2. You're way ahead of me... I remember I read only two or three (and liked only the very first).

ManOfWesternesse
10-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Susan Cooper. The Dark is Rising.....

Thanks CK - might keep an eye out for this.

Wuducynn
10-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Here is the U.K. Amazon link for the boxed set

Amazon.co.uk: The Dark Is Rising Sequence 5 Volume Boxed Set: Books: Susan Cooper

They're selling it on there for £13.15

Wuducynn
10-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Here is a fantastic review on Amazon for you Brian (Just for you, no else can read it) I'm going to un-spoilerize the descriptive parts of the review so if you don't want to read them you don't have to. The writer of the review doesn't give a lot away though.

By E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA)

Susan Cooper's books are the sort that immediately cause people to say "But aren't those for kids?"

Technically, yes. So is "The Hobbit," for that matter. And Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising Sequence" has joined the elite shelf of timeless books that are technically for kids, but not necessarily JUST for kids. With her use of myth and folklore, rich language, and a time-spanning battle between good and evil, Cooper spins up a rare tale in her majestic prose.

"Over Sea Under Stone" features the three Drew children coming to stay with Merriman Lyon. In his attic, they find an ancient treasure map that leads to a hidden grail -- if they can only figure out what the map's writing and symbols mean. But they are not the only ones who are looking for the grail -- three sinister people are in pursuit.

"The Dark is Rising" shifts its focus elsewhere. On his eleventh birthday, young Will Stanton encounters the mysterious Merriman, and is told that he is the last of the immortal "Old Ones" who are fighting the forces of evil (known as the Dark). As the power of the Dark grows, Will must gather the six Signs that can help stop them -- and protect his friends and family from the Dark.

"Greenwitch" brings the four young heroes together. Will and the three Drew kids are brought to Cornwall, where the grail has been stolen. Jane is haunted by nightmares about the Greenwitch, a symbolic weaving of branches and leaves cast into the sea, and a sinister artist captures Barney. But the Greenwitch is not just a tangle of sticks -- it's alive with wild magic that neither Old Ones nor the Dark can control.

"Grey King" is the threat of the Dark. Will is recovering from an illness in Wales, where he meets a "raven boy" (an albino Welsh boy, Bran) and a dog with "eyes that see the wind" -- part of an old legend. Will must lead Bran into a closer connection with the Old Ones. But when an accident befalls the dog, Bran is angry with the Old Ones -- until the truth of his past comes to light.

"Silver on the Tree" brings the series to a climax. Will receives visions of the past, and a message from Merriman that the final battle between the Dark and the Light is about to come. Evil creatures (minks, specifically) are swarming near his house -- and the Old Ones, while almost ready, don't have the power of the Lady. He teams up with the Drews and with Bran to find the Lost Land.

Sure, fantasy incorporating old myth and legend is nothing new. People have been doing it for as long as the genre has existed. But Susan Cooper brings the idea of time-travelling immortals and ancient magic to life in this, and avoids the usual syrup and dumbing-down that most authors feel compelled to include.

Cooper's writing is detailed and atmospheric, although the first book is much more plainly written than the following four. She can switch instantly from lighthearted to mystical and back again, and her writing is heavy with description. Moreover, she takes the folklore and legends of Britain and interweaves them with Arthurian legend, giving the whole Arthurian story a new spin.

While some may not like the portrayal of good and evil as evenly matched, the strength of the Old Ones' determination is extremely invigorating. They're powerful, but still very human, able to make errors and feel sorrow. And there are lessons carefully interwoven about good and evil, about loyalty, compassion, redemption, and friendship. These sentiments are never gooey, just powerful.

As for the kids, Jane, Barney and Simon Drew are a little less endearing because they seem a little dated -- think E. Nesbit characters out of time. Will Stanton and Bran, however, have the qualities of timeless characters, both wise and ancient and yet still very young. And Merriman looms over it all as the all-seeing guardian, alternately forbidding and dignified or kindly and grandfatherly.

With its majestic prose and entrancing, otherworldly characters, the "Dark is Rising Sequence" is a remarkable piece of work, and one that deserves many rereadings. Outstanding.

cozener
10-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I am not sure, by the way, that the DT is a bona fide series, either. It started, developed, culminated, and ended; isn't it just a long novel consisting of 7 volumes?1. By that rationale, aren't all series?

2. Oh and I read the Amber series, Jean. Loved it when I was 14. Not so sure I could get into it now though so I don't think I could recommend it either. But as I recall I really enjoyed the first 5 books...the ones that dealt with Corwin. After that I lost interest.
1. I am not sure. I can confess I haven't read many series, though, but it's the "ended" part that I'm most hesitant about. To me it feels like a novel is written with the denouement inevitable, revealing the truth of the whole story in the end; while a series is something that, theoretically, could go on forever. I haven't read that many either. But I also see series that I have read as one story. I think the only "series" I've ever seen that comes close to your description are all of the Star Trek books. Dunno if they'll go on forever but there never seems to be a shortage of authors willing to do them. Now with the new movie coming out who knows what kind of fanbase thats going to build up. Maybe we'll have another 40 years of Trek. Ugh. I like Star Trek but damn, enough already.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
The vampire chronicles - Anne Rice

The riftwar books - Raymond fiest

The Farseer trilogy by robin hobb (Im gettin a tear in my eye just thinkin about this one).

Does the lord of the rings count as a series? If it does, lord of the rings.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Ugh. I like Star Trek but damn, enough already.

QFT

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Don't know if someone already brought this up, but A Song of Ice and Fire has to be one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

It has a couple of problems (in my opinion, its too complex for its own good and you have to really pay attention to know what's what and who's who) but overall its filled with intriguing plotlines and some of the most fascinating characters you'll ever meet. 'Good' and 'evil' aren't so easily defined here; rather, its all varying shades of gray.

Highly recommended.

CK, your "Dark is Rising" looks interesting. Once my book pile clears up I'll try to give it a shot.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
CK, your "Dark is Rising" looks interesting. Once my book pile clears up I'll try to give it a shot.

You should put it towards the top of the pile, its that great. Like I've said though it is oriented towards the 11 through 15 age bracket...but since you're a Potter-ite I know that wouldn't turn you off.

Childe 007
12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
1. The Wake Up America Trilogy by Ayn Rand: Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged
2. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (which - got me re-interested in those "every 10 year installment" Dark Tower books when Little Sisters of Eluria was included in the 1st Legends book.) This is the most intelligently written and addictive series I have ever read. I grieve the passing of the author and the story (though I hear it will be finished). I have truly loved every minute I spent with this series.
3. The Hobbit & The Lord of The Rings - I think it safe to say that without these we don't have much of the "fantastic" literature we enjoy today
4. Star Wars - Yes, yes - they are first and foremost films - but when I'm not reading King these days I find myself picking up Star Wars novels - not great literature - but damn fun most of the time.
5. Harry Potter - and no I haven't read the last one yet - stubbornly waiting for the paperback so they look uniform on the bookshelf - but I can't wait to read these to the Grandchap - who will be a year in Jan.
6. Anne Rice - The Vampire Chronicles: But really only the Books 1-4 - and the last two (which tied her "universes" together)- the rest were exactly what the critics said they were - self plagerism in it's most commercial form. Change the names and the settings a tad and have at it. Though I will freely admit to owning them all and enjoying them all.
7. The Collected Works of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson: If Ayn Rand - who came from communist Russia - was so able to capture the True American Dream in her work - and show us what America should be - Hunter Thompson tells us what America IS. Hunter was able to capture, better than anyone else - that period in American history that made us a society of "Fear and Loathing" people. These books - though often convoluted and hard to follow - will give you a better understanding of politics in America than any news story on CNN or Fox. Hunter saw it for what it was - and told it like it was. Hunter loved and hated it all. If you want a "fair and balanced" view of American Politics - check out these books.

Telynn
12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Only HST could pull off starting a book with:

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Childe 007
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Ah - but my favorite is this one:

Agnew was the Joey Buttafuoco of the Nixon administration, and Hoover was its Caligula. They were brutal, brain-damaged degenerates worse than any hit man out of The Godfather, yet they were the men Richard Nixon trusted most. Together they defined his Presidency.

It would be easy to forget and forgive Henry Kissinger of his crimes, just as he forgave Nixon. Yes, we could do that--but it would be wrong. Kissinger is a slippery little devil, a world-class hustler with a thick German accent and a very keen eye for weak spots at the top of the power structure, Nixon was one of these, and Super K exploited him mercilessly, all the way to the end.

Kissinger made the Gang of Four complete: Agnew, Hoover, Kissinger and Nixon. A group photo of these perverts would say all we need to know about the Age of Nixon.

Which says all I need to about my inclusion of him here.

TerribleT
12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I will always love the whole Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy.

fernandito
12-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I think it's safe to say that the A Song of Ice and Fire series will be among my all-time favorites once I finish it.

And I still picture Eddard Stark as Beowulf. :)

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I think it's safe to say that the A Song of Ice and Fire series will be among my all-time favorites once I finish it.

Even over the Dark Tower series?

CyberGhostface
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Provided that Martin finishes the series with the same quality that he started it with, the answer would be an easy 'yes'. Which is not to say that DT doesn't have its share of advantages of ASoIaF. But if you ever do read the series, I don't think you'll look at the fantasy genre the same way again.

fernandito
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, the DT will always have a respective advantage over other fantasy titles and series. However, that's not to say that Martin's ASoIaF series isn't A-List in it's own right.

al'Lan Mandragoran
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't know if someone already brought this up, but A Song of Ice and Fire has to be one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

It has a couple of problems (in my opinion, its too complex for its own good and you have to really pay attention to know what's what and who's who) but overall its filled with intriguing plotlines and some of the most fascinating characters you'll ever meet. 'Good' and 'evil' aren't so easily defined here; rather, its all varying shades of gray.

Highly recommended.

Who is your favorite charactor? Mine would have to be the Hound... Sandor Clegane is kickass. His brother deserved the death he got from the Red Viper. And does anyone have a clue as to when the fifth book A Dance with Dragons is supposed to come out? Least I think that's what the titles gunna be.

ManOfWesternesse
12-13-2007, 02:26 AM
.... does anyone have a clue as to when the fifth book A Dance with Dragons is supposed to come out? Least I think that's what the titles gunna be.

Yes that's the title - & no, just checked georgerrmartin.com & the 'update' is unchanged as of 15 Feb '07.
It's gotta be soon though.....

CyberGhostface
12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Who is your favorite charactor? Mine would have to be the Hound... Sandor Clegane is kickass.

Oh, Sandor's definitely up there with my favorite characters. But there are so many ones to choose from. Besides Sandor, I like Jon Snow, Daenarys, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa and Arya.

Adumbros
01-07-2008, 08:05 AM
hm...i'm a mult-tiered reader of ecclectic tastes. so let's go with:

The entire works of James Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Most Stephen King works, although the end of TDT kinda felt like a sellout. it was like the cheap thrill one gets by fucking a smokin' hot female, only to find out she has AIDS afterwards. sorry, but we were cheated. from everything i can tell, he just rush-jobbed it to publication after his accident to ensure that it would get finished before he died. and inserting himself into the story was ludicrous at best.

The Harry Potter series, though, again, the final book was a rip-off. half of the claims she made about the book turned out to be completely false, such as Harry's eyes having some special meaning; and although you kind of had to expect an anti-climactic finale what with Voldemort being Satan and Harry merely being Paul the Apostle, the way it was written was a frigging fluke.

The Chronicles of Narnia.

Jeff Lindsay's surprisingly good "Dexter" set, upon which an absolutely amazingly fresh Showtime series has been based.

Almsot anything by Clive Barker, particularly the Abarat series, which has now been extended to a minimum of five books from the original four due to popularity and could become a modern-day fantasy version of the Hardy Boys. Book 3 due out in August...!

Speaking of the Hardy Boys...

ManOfWesternesse
01-07-2008, 08:20 AM

That'd be John Ronald Reuel......

Cannot agree with you on the endings of either DT or HP. They both worked for me. :)

jayson
01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
aside from the DT....

1. Lord of the Rings [including Hobbit & The Silmarillion and the rest of the Middle Earth stories] - JRR Tolkien

2. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Wuducynn
01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah, the DT will always have a respective advantage over other fantasy titles and series.

Quoted For Truth

Brice
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
hm...i'm a mult-tiered reader of ecclectic tastes. so let's go with:

Most Stephen King works, although the end of TDT kinda felt like a sellout. it was like the cheap thrill one gets by fucking a smokin' hot female, only to find out she has AIDS afterwards. sorry, but we were cheated. from everything i can tell, he just rush-jobbed it to publication after his accident to ensure that it would get finished before he died. and inserting himself into the story was ludicrous at best.

The Harry Potter series, though, again, the final book was a rip-off. half of the claims she made about the book turned out to be completely false, such as Harry's eyes having some special meaning; and although you kind of had to expect an anti-climactic finale what with Voldemort being Satan and Harry merely being Paul the Apostle, the way it was written was a frigging fluke.

The Chronicles of Narnia.

Jeff Lindsay's surprisingly good "Dexter" set, upon which an absolutely amazingly fresh Showtime series has been based.

Almsot anything by Clive Barker, particularly the Abarat series, which has now been extended to a minimum of five books from the original four due to popularity and could become a modern-day fantasy version of the Hardy Boys. Book 3 due out in August...!

Speaking of the Hardy Boys...

Tolkien, Lewis, and Barker are great. You already know I disagree with your opinion of TDT, and now I must also tell you I disagree with you about HP also.

William50
01-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Besides the DT, I like the Lord of the Rings.

CRinVA
01-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Several; Series that I love in no particular order other than #1

1 - Dune (both Frank Herbert's and Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson)
2 - The Lord of the Rings (including The Hobbit)
3 - The Narnia series
4 - The Shanarra series (Terry Brooks)
5 - The Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind)
6 - The Hitchhiker's Guide series (Douglas Adams)
7 - The Odd Thomas series (Dean Koontz)
8 - The DaVinci Code series (Brown)
9 - Wizard of Earthsea Trilogy (Ursula K LeGuin)
10 - Out of the Silent Planet Trilogy (Lewis)
11 - Chronicles of Thomas the Covenant
12 - Ender's Game series (Orson Scott Card)
13 - Clan of the Cave Bear series (Auel)
14 - Harry Potter sereis
15 - Peter and the Starcatchers sereis (Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson)

jayson
01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
The Shanarra series is another one I really enjoyed.

Vasagi
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM

There's still 1 or 2 of us out there who've braved Lumley's gorefests :)

Other series' I've enjoyed:
Dune
Rama
Harry Potter

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Haven't read any George R.R. Martin stuff yet, but I plan to do so after I read the Robert Jorden, R. A. Salvatore and Garth Nix stuff I have piling up on my shelf waiting to be finished.

So far friom what I've read, I would have to say other than the DT, the Harry Potter series and the Legend of Drizzt series are very high on my list right now.

PedroPáramo
01-13-2008, 11:04 PM
-Diablo Guardian (Guardian Devil), by Xavier Velasco
-Our lady of the Assasins, Fernando Vallejo
(just finised and woo I loveed it!)
-Sputnik sweethearth, Haruki Murakami.

Ka-mai
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Harry Potter, Narnia, and to a certain degree the Hannibal Lecters. Also The Sandman and Fruits Basket, even though they're graphic novels.

aurora
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
For me, and in no real order:
- LOTR + Hobbit +(especially) The Silmarillion
- Dune (the entire series to date)
- Clive Barkers, 'Book of the Art' when the heck is book 3 coming out!!!!!!!!
- A.C. Clarkes, Rama seres
- A.C. Clarkes, Time Odyssey (Reading book 3 right now)
- Chris Clarmount & George Lucas's, Shadow Wars (yes that Lucas and as in Willow and not Star Wars)
- Greg Bears, Eon & Eternity

ManOfWesternesse
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
For me, and in no real order:
- Greg Bears, Eon & Eternity

Yeah - 2 good ones!

blackrose22
02-27-2008, 03:40 AM
His Dark Materials trilogy- Philip Pullman
The Red/Green/Blue Mars Trilogy - Kim Stanley Robinson
Rama - Arthur C Clarke
Dunes Series - Frank Herbert (Rereading the books at the moment)
The Traveller Books (book 3 not out till next year) -John Twelvehawks
Discworld - Terry Pratchett

On a sad note I've been told that Terry Pratchett has the onset of early Alzheimer's Disease. He has said he hopes to knock out a couple more Discworld books before it completely takes overs. I can't believe this, such a great and humorous mind been destroyed by such a horrible disease.

ManOfWesternesse
02-27-2008, 04:36 AM

Read Red & Green years ago, but never got my hands on Blue.
Dunno why, because the first 2 were damn good.
I'll have to remedy that one of these days.:nana:

blackrose22
02-27-2008, 05:17 AM

Read Red & Green years ago, but never got my hands on Blue.
Dunno why, because the first 2 were damn good.
I'll have to remedy that one of these days.:nana:

You won't be disapointed if you do. They are 3 of the best books I've ever read.

jemaher
04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
does the green mile count as a series? it was awesome.

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:28 AM
The Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy

The Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency

Star Trek series (espec. The Original Series)

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Big surprise, huh?

turtlex
04-16-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd have to weigh in for the "Lord Valentine" book series by Robert Silverberg.

"Lord Valentine's Castle" is one of my all time favorites.

Edited to Add : I also read all the Patricia Cornwell "Kay Scarpetta" books, though the most recent ones have been a bit of a disappointment to me.

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Jim Butcher's series of the dreseden files is starting to gain favor with me.

jemaher
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Loved the tv series

aurora
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Anybody read 'The Swarm' Frank Schatzing? I did last year but a related project to it was brought to me the past few days. I loved everything up till the end. It kept mentioning this was the real world and not some stupid sci-fi movie where everything ends for the good fast and easy like and there was no way their situation could. But alas it did. In fact if you just skip the last couple chapters its a fantastic read, but the last couple well turn it into a hypocritical piece of ....
Wondering what others thought of the end if you have read it.

Disturbed Angel
05-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Harry Potter - no question about it
His Dark Materials - fantastic books
Odd Thomas series
LOTR and DT (if they are being counted as a series)
Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver are good
The Saga of Darren Shan series - by Darren Shan
The Demonata series by Darren Shan

The last 3 mentioned are British authors and classed as childrens books but they are great :thumbsup:

Ka-tet
05-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Harry potter, hands down its awsome!

LadyHitchhiker
05-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Loved the tv series

Haven't watched it yet but now I'll have to

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
in no particular order:

Jim Butcher's Dresden Series
John Sandford's Prey series (lucas davenport rocks!)
Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series
David Eddings The Belgariad (The Mallorean followed it but i didn't like it nearly as much)
Julie Kenner's Demon Hunting Soccor Mom series (she's only published two and i wish she'd get off her ass and resume the series!)

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, Turtlesong, why so gloomy tonight? Anything I can do to cheer you up? :nana:

you know, i'm just kind of having one of those everything makes me cry kind of moods. don't really know why. i posted a response to the have you cried during the quest thread and cried for like 20 minutes after it. (don't visit the thread if you haven't finished the series.) thanks for asking - and for the macarena banana. :couple:

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I second (or fifth) the Dune series,although I lost interest after the original 3. I felt like the story had been told, and the resto f them jsut don't grab me.

Also Hitchhiker's guide. Douglas Adam will continue to be my favorite British person (aside from my fiance).

And I am glad to see I am not the only Dresden Files fan. They are a little pulpy, but they are great, fast, fun reads and Harry Dresden is the most lovable, sardonic anti-hero I've ever "met". I've never been so glad to take a book reccommendation in my life as I was to start the Dresden Files.

JQ The Gunslinger
06-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Harry Potter deff.
But Darren Shans Cirque Du Freak is the Best series ever besides DT of course lol

Matticus-Finch
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Harry Potter is at the top, along with LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia. And now that I'm reading the Twilight series, I'd probably throw them in the mix too!

Come to think of it, I'm not familiar with that many 'series' books :(
The Dresden Files sound interesting.

Rjeso
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
My favorite is Tad Williams' Otherland series. I finally got Jimmy to start reading them, and he's hooked too. :D

Otherwise, I like Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, LotR, and Judith Tarr's The Hound and the Falcon trilogy.

fernandito
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I love coming in here and reading up on potential new series' to get hooked on. :D

Rjeso
07-11-2008, 10:44 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_is_Rising_Sequence

They're written by Susan Cooper. The Dark is Rising and Grey King are Newbury Award winners I believe. They're fantastic. Its like trying to accurately describe the Dark Tower series; very hard to do. All I can say is that it is a series involving a different take on Arthurian and British Isles pagan traditions involving a profound time traveling quest. Intricately and richly told. Okay, that description sucked serious ass. But it was the best I could do.

This was my favorite series when I was a kid. I don't know what happened to them all, I miss them. I was still rereading them every now and then when I was 17. They're just enjoyable. I tremble to think what they did with the movie to COMPLETELY BUTCHER the story. <_<

Also, Will Stanton is the only fictional character I ever fell for. :lol: What can I say, I was ten! Also, Will kicks so much ass. :P

Telynn
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I just started The Dresden series. I like it so far.:thumbsup:

Sai
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Great thread. I'll have fun shopping for some of these books. :drool:

Rider_of_Discordia
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I struggle to enjoy Harry Potter ... just seems so ordinary and Enid Blyton to me. Boy wizards were done so much better and magically in Neil Gaiman's BOOKS OF MAGIC. I still need to read the final one, but I have been finding it increasing hard to trudge my way through recent installments.

Lord of the Rings. Call me a low brow person, but if I want fantasy I find Lord of the Rings a touch dull. Michael Moorcock puts it thus, "Tolkien takes you to the edge of the abyss, and points out a little tearoom just down the side." .... A lot of walking to drop a ring into a volcano. ((Ooops, should I have put spoilers on that one?)) I remember being truly dumb struck when I first reached the battle of Balin's Tomb and read the "action scene" Tolkein had built upto... it goes (pardon my memory here ... I haven't got the book to hand, but please check up yourself!) "Gimli slew three, Aragorn slew four and Legolas slew 6 ..."
It reads like a scorecard for an action scene he intended to flesh out later, but never got around to. Coming from reading Robert Howard's CONAN books, where every sword stroke is painted with gore filled glee I found this horribly English and Professory ... and frankly dull. I value its role in the history of fantasy in inspiring others to create some fantastic stuff ... but it has also inspired a hideous industry of even duller clones. For years publishers have laboured under the chains of "Every fantasy story needs to be at least three books long ... with a map ... with a back history that would give a weightlifter a hernia ... with a dark lord and an evil army ..." I like my fantasy fresh and free from cliche. John Barnes' ONE FOR THE MORNING GLORY is great. THE PRINCESS BRIDE by William Goldman is as lovely as the film, and tells its story in one clever and well crafted volume.

Favourite book series then

SANDMAN by Neil Gaiman. I know it is really comic book series, but the quality of the writing and creation make most novel series weep in shame.

The Instrumentality of Mankind series by Cordwainer Smith. This is more a short story series than a novel series, so maybe I am cheating again ... oops!

Dune by Frank Herbert. Frank gets naffed off by Book 3. He doesn't want to write about the same characters anymore. But those damn publishers can't stop waving big cheques at him. So he writes a 4th Dune book set 1,000 years in the future. Basically changes all the rules. lol ... fits into the series because it has Dune in the title, but is really a book he wanted to write anyway. Publishers don't learn their lesson and continue offering large amounts of cash. Frank moves the story forward 10,000 years (or something like that....) and again writes some stories he wants, they fit into the Dune series again by virtue of the "DUNE" in their titles. All good stuff, but not really Dune books.

KaLikeAWheel
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

OMG, that series rocks!!!:rock: I even enjoyed the couple of offshoot series he did.

Another vampire series is the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. I think there are 14 of them in all. After the first few, there is a LOT of sex in them. She has a series, that I actually prefer, called Merry Gentry about fairies...but not little bitty faries, really bad ass fairies! :fairy:Lots of sex in this series too.

Donna

Bluenose
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Sandman is an amazing series - Gaiman has an imagination that is pretty much second to none. I love how he mixes mythology and folklore and plays with cliches - Death is a young, beautiful girl, in love with life. Dream is a much more traditonally death like figure. Even his stand alone stuff, like American Gods, has so much depth and history built into the pages and the story.

jhanic
08-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Has anyone else here read the Burke series by Andrew Vachss? I just love this one!

John

CRinVA
08-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Currenlty listening to Jordan's The Wheel of Time. On book two right now, The Hunt, and so far enjoying it!

CS Lewis wrote a series but I don't know the name of the series but the three books are:

Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

Ursula K. Leguin wrote a pretty good series as The Earthsea Trilogy

I liked the Shanarra series by Terry Brooks, but have not read all of them - they are on my to read list!

I have also heard good things about Terry Goodkind's, Sword of Truth series - I have the first book in my to read pile!

I have read three of the four Koontz Odd Thomas books and like them although the writing style is quite different to my normal tastes. I have the audio CD of the 4th on reserve at the Library right now.

I also read the first book in the Ender series by Orson Scott Card and thoroughly enjoyed it - I need to read more here.

I read a fun series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson - Peter and the ... about the adventures of Peter Pan before the sotyr that we all grew up with called Peter Pan where Peter takes Wendy and her borthers away to Never Never Land.

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME!

stone, rose, unfound door
08-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Nothing's close to the DT for me. Although I liked the HP series, it doesn't have the same feeling to it :(

fernandito
08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I also read the first book in the Ender series by Orson Scott Card and thoroughly enjoyed it - I need to read more here.

Hit up Enders Shadow and Shadow of The Hegemon next :cool:

cozener
08-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Lord of the Rings. Call me a low brow person, but if I want fantasy I find Lord of the Rings a touch dull. Michael Moorcock puts it thus, "Tolkien takes you to the edge of the abyss, and points out a little tearoom just down the side." .... A lot of walking to drop a ring into a volcano. ((Ooops, should I have put spoilers on that one?)) I remember being truly dumb struck when I first reached the battle of Balin's Tomb and read the "action scene" Tolkein had built upto... it goes (pardon my memory here ... I haven't got the book to hand, but please check up yourself!) "Gimli slew three, Aragorn slew four and Legolas slew 6 ..."
It reads like a scorecard for an action scene he intended to flesh out later, but never got around to. Coming from reading Robert Howard's CONAN books, where every sword stroke is painted with gore filled glee I found this horribly English and Professory ... and frankly dull. I value its role in the history of fantasy in inspiring others to create some fantastic stuff . I'd have to agree. I do love Tolkien but for me its more about the world he created than the actual story...or rather...the story and characters great but the way Tolkien writes it all can be, as often as not, rather dull.

Dune by Frank Herbert. Frank gets naffed off by Book 3. He doesn't want to write about the same characters anymore. But those damn publishers can't stop waving big cheques at him. So he writes a 4th Dune book set 1,000 years in the future. Basically changes all the rules. lol ... fits into the series because it has Dune in the title, but is really a book he wanted to write anyway. Publishers don't learn their lesson and continue offering large amounts of cash. Frank moves the story forward 10,000 years (or something like that....) and again writes some stories he wants, they fit into the Dune series again by virtue of the "DUNE" in their titles. All good stuff, but not really Dune books. I love all six but I do admit that the flavor changed after the first three. I just happened to like the new flavor. But the 4th book, God Emperor of Dune is one of my favorite books of all time. To me, its every bit as good as the orginal Dune...but very different. What I hate are the prequels written by Frank's kid and Kevin Anderson. The writing is ok...even good here and there. And the parts that concern the Fremen are worthy of the Herbert name. Its the main story itself and how it all plays out that bothers me. It ranges from dumb continuity mistakes to outrageous disregard for Frank's original story.

Tony_A
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
LOTR
James Clavelle's Asian Saga, particularly Noble House
James Patterson's Alex Cross series
Harry Turtledove's alternate history saga with the Union and CSA starting with the South winning the Civil War and culminating with a Nazi-like CSA losing WWII to the US
Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series

Beamer
12-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter (Blame my wife)
Left Behind
Merlin
My wife says the Outlander series...havent read one yet
The Jason Bourne trilogy
Star Wars...come on...

flaggwalkstheline
12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
the Necroscope series is amazing, its simultaneously the best vampire, spy, and psychic superpower story ever
and Ive only read the first five dealing with the adventures of harry keogh, there like another 12 books I need 2 get ahold of!

Sam
12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
My top three would be:

The Dune series by Frank Herbert
Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony
The Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn

Empath of the White
12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
The Aloysius Pendergast novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Wheel of Darkness has been the only stinker so far, imo).
Harry Potter by JK Rowling
The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
Age of Fire by E.E. Knight
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Possibly The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I'm enjoying the first book a lot more at the moment, so I may go on and get the next two or three.

flaggwalkstheline
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
oh YES someone mentioned the inheritance stories, I so Wanted to hate those books but theyre amazing! cant wait for the 4th, theres a fair amount of books that unfairly fall into the abyss of "young adult" reading (sounds like something ud have 2 register with the police and then tell all ur neighbors about, young adult reading)
The one that I think suffers most from this and as such makes people look down upon is the pendragon series, it actually shares some traits with the dark tower, alternate universes/ worlds n stuff, although the 9th book pissed me off major, anyone else read pendragon?

MonteGss
12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
the Necroscope series is amazing

So true! They are great books! :thumbsup: :D

its simultaneously the best vampire, spy, and psychic superpower story ever

Gotta disagree here. For vampire novels, they are utterly crap. Ridiculous interpretation of the vampire, imo. I found the story of the necroscope and his powers to be MUCH, MUCH more interesting than the "vampires."

flaggwalkstheline
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I thought the whole reinterpretation of vampires was really entertaining, didnt dislike the necroscope and his powers but for me in the first book I much prefered to read about boris dragosani and thibor ferenczi, though keogh is a fascinating character, especially in the 5th book deadspawn alternate title: the last temptation of harry keogh or passion of the vampire the christ-like metaphors in that book r really thick
the twist at the end of book 4 deadspeak when He finds out faethors spirit infected him with the mushrooms which was what had been causing him to act strange throughout the story caught me totally off guard, actually the ending of deadspawn bears a bit of resemblance 2 roland deschains fateKeoghs corpse is sent back in time with a memory erased and cured shaitan where it becomes the source of the wampyri plague on starside by first infecting shaitan
I'm planning on picking up the vampire world books next since they r the begining of the next major part in the saga (or so Ive heard) though all the post-deadspawn stories seem to be rather difficult to procure...

fernandito
12-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Thank Gan for this thread and all the wonderful new ideas it gives me. :D

Empath of the White
01-01-2009, 11:50 PM
oh YES someone mentioned the inheritance stories, I so Wanted to hate those books but theyre amazing! cant wait for the 4th, theres a fair amount of books that unfairly fall into the abyss of "young adult" reading

I hardly think Inheritance deserves the category; given the elvish beliefs on the afterlife in Eldest, I'm surprised it hasn't attracted any criticism similar to (I think) Mr. Pullman? The guy that did the Golden Compass and related novels? There's also the impaled baby from the first book. They are something of a morbid fascination for me. I acknowledge that it does seem as if the author lifted the basic framework from Star Wars, and some of the locations look like rescrambled names from Lord of the Rings. My fascination is how he pulls together his literary Frankenstein that is Inheritance. :unsure:

He does get some originality points for Brisingr though: Ninja dwarves and furry elves.

Guy Incognito
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I was dead set against reading Harry Potter, but my fiance basically made me read them, and I'd have to say, it's by far my favorite series. Completely epic.

The Icewindale(sp?) Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore is right up there too.

Chap
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Without any doubt at all, it has to be "The Legend of the Ice People".
Better than LotR in it's own ways, better than what little I've read of Harry Potter (and the movies of course :p ), better than any series. As a whole I think it's better (not better written, but a more intriguing story) than DT, even though very few of the books measure up to the individual DT books. If that made any sense :p
Check it out people, it's got sex, magic, love, evil curses, history (spanning 600 years in Europe), heroes, villains and so on and so forth.

ManOfWesternesse
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
.... I acknowledge that it does seem as if the author lifted the basic framework from Star Wars, and some of the locations look like rescrambled names from Lord of the Rings......
Yes, and from elsewhere. The city of Gil'ead springs to mind!.......

I'm on the last couple of pages of Brisingr now. Not too bad in many ways, but the 'childish' quality of some of the writing annoyed me, and indeed the lack of decent editing in places too. Still, all-in-all it's well worth a read.

===
I also just finished another re-read of the whole 'Wheel of Time' series - Robert Jordan.
This one is still a great series imho - with the (last?) Book 12 to publish in late '09. (By the replacement author Brandon Sanderson).

theyspunaweb
01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
For sure my favorite would be Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" series.
Or LOTR for classics.

theyspunaweb
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
By Ender I mean all 8 books.

fernandito
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Ender! :wub:

theyspunaweb
01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
it's exciting that so many people like Ender here :)

fernandito
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
There's a whole thread dedicated to Ender's series! Check out Dutch Hill :D

mystima
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
i read a few books a while back that i would like to get back to again...one is called:
The Runelords.

T.A.M
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok...
Harry Potter:thumbsup:
Artemis Fowl:drool:
The Princess Diaries:wtf:
Animorphs:thumbsup:
Dexter:drool::huglove::wtf::thumbsup::rock:

girl at the window
01-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Some of my favorite book series are:

The Mists of Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, etc.))

Regarding the Mists of Avalon. I really loved it and wanted more so I was happy to discover that there were prequels. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line Ms. Bradley passed and it seems that one of her relatives is kind of ghost writing some of the books. I am not a big fan of the non Bradley written books.

As for the Earth's Children books I started out really loving them. The last few books though I think I just read because I wanted to find out what happened to the characters and not because I was actually enjoying what I was reading. I think that I have been waiting for like a hundred years now for Ms. Auel to write her next book. I wish she would just write it already. I guess I'm going to have to wait until she dies and for someone to write a subpar ghostwritten version of her books.

My oldest daughter has been trying to get me to read the Harry Potter series for years now. She is a big fan. I have read the first two and I am stuck somewhere in the third book. I guess they are okay but I'm just not that into them. Another problem is that I have seen the movies prior to reading these books so I don't know if that is what is putting a damper on it for me. My daughter is also bugging me to read the Twilight series. But in her own words she says that "they are crappily written but (she) likes the storyline." I think I will leave this series for the tween/teen set.

pookie
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm really fond of book series. Just love that "getting to know" the characters thing. My touchstone series since I was a kid was the Little House on the Praire series. Still reread it once a year. Of series I've read since I've grown up, behind The Dark Tower series, my favorite series is Harry Potter. I want to read the Twilight series, but my girl (turtlex) refuses to let me :orely:

Chap
01-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm really fond of book series. Just love that "getting to know" the characters thing. My touchstone series since I was a kid was the Little House on the Praire series. Still reread it once a year. Of series I've read since I've grown up, behind The Dark Tower series, my favorite series is Harry Potter. I want to read the Twilight series, but my girl (turtlex) refuses to let me :orely:

that's cruel.

but very understandable :lol:

mystima
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
i liked the inheritance series by piolini(sp?)
narnia
harry potter
all the pern books with and without son writing
anita blake vampire hunter series
abarat (clive barker)
read the whole LOTR series but took a whole year to do it. and it was all bound in one book!!!
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing With dragons/ Searching for Dragons/ Calling on Dragons/ Talking to Dragons. more for younger crowd than adults but still good series

pookie
01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh! I loved Narnia too. Didn't include it in my list above because I didn't "officially" read it rather I listened to it on CD. Am a little cranky about being forbidden to read the Twilight series.:arg:

Also love the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

wolverine0712
02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm a big fan of some already mentioned (Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for sure), but the Tim Zahn "Thrawn" Trilogy of Star War books are probably my top series. I've re-read them a few times - something I rarely do - and they live up to the test of time. I'd always hoped Lucas would use that for the 3rd trilogy.

I've never been able to get into LotR - I've read the first book, but never went past it. The Hobbit was good though.

wolverine0712
02-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Also, for graphic novels, I'm a big fan of Transmetropolitan (for those Hunter Thompson fans) and what I've read of Lone Wolf and Cub.

Depren
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
The Night Watch series has four books in it, the fourth is called The Last Watch. I just finished Night Watch a few days ago and it is definately a captivating read. :thumbsup:

college_ewok
02-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia

candy
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
LOTR - tolkien (including the hobbit)
Harry Potter - JKR
His Dark Mateials - phillip pulman
keys to the kingdom - garth nix
abhorsen serie - garth nix
the black magician trilogy - trudi canavan

erm thats all i can think of off the top of my head. i really like series as you can get really deep into characters

Ruthful
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
The Night Watch series has four books in it, the fourth is called The Last Watch. I just finished Night Watch a few days ago and it is definately a captivating read. :thumbsup:

I want to start reading those, esp. after seeing the cinematic adaptation of "Night Watch." I bought a copy for my brother too-it's a really interesting film.

SigTauGimp
02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
How did I miss this thread for so long? :wtf:

I love book series...like others have said, it's one of those "you're really getting to know the characters" type of things.

My favs:

The Elric Saga - Michael Moorcock
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams :wub:
Myst - Rand Miller
The Drizzt Do' Urden Series - R.A. Salvatore
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling

I think those are all the "big" ones that I like. :grouphug:

Merlin1958
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I haven't read many series but I would have to go with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Those books had a deep and lasting effect on me the first time and every time I have read them since.

Great thread man :cool:

I'm with you!!! LOTR is arguably the finest trilogy ever written. That is substantiated by its standing as one of the best selling books of all times and the inspiration behind DT

But, here's a personal and perhaps obscure one for all you secret Detective novel lover's out there. The Deadly Sins (1st Deadly Sin, 2nd Deadly Sin, etc.) novels by Lawrence Saunders. Always loved those!!!

Munchausen
04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm digging a lot of the Harry Turtledove alternate history stuff. Don't even have to read it in order.

The King of Kings
04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm on the second book over the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice and so far it's pretty good.

Harry Potter is the only other book series I've ever read outside of DT though. (Great stuff, btw)

Claude Clay
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
youthful read--e e 'doc' smith--the lensman series
---------------normans--gor series
-----zalazneys amber series
burroughs-martian cronicals [ not bradburys--was a good movie though]
grow up a bit with
lazarath long features in much of heinleins works
farmers --riverworld
clarks-- 2001 series
--------rama seeries
asimovs --foundation series series
lewis-- peralanda [tough read]
heberts--dune-- 1st 3 books and all the others also
stephen hunter--bob lee

books into great movies goes to p k dick

and don't forget the 1st and best selling most widely read sci-fi series condensed into one book ever written......

John_and_Yoko
05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Offhand....

The Oz books, the Harry Potter books, the Silverwing books....

Otherwise not sure--I don't really think the Tolkien works count as a "series." Maybe if all the First Age works were to have been published, but they haven't and I don't think they will be (save The Children of Hurin). Only three works (I don't count The Silmarillion since it isn't a single narrative) don't seem to count as a series to me.

(Why do I feel like I've already posted in a thread like this? I haven't posted in this one--I checked....)

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 09:03 AM
cant believe noones mentioned R Scott Bakker's the Warrior Prophet series. amazing, if you aint read them, you should.
others i like include LoTR. Harry potter, Runelords by David Farland, Night angel by brent weeks

Special mention to the diskworld books, they are as funny as the warrior prophit is awesome.

also i quite enjoyed the Langdon series by dan brown and look forward to the new movie.

AcidBumbler
06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are fantastic.

And I like the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.

Myste
10-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, naturally Talisman + Black House!
LOTR
Dan Simmons' Hyperion saga

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series

I don't know if the Halo books count as a series but I enjoyed reading them

(I like quite a few manga series's, too many to post here)

12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Some of my favorite book series are:

The Mists of Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, etc.))

Regarding the Mists of Avalon. I really loved it and wanted more so I was happy to discover that there were prequels. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line Ms. Bradley passed and it seems that one of her relatives is kind of ghost writing some of the books. I am not a big fan of the non Bradley written books.

I hated her rewriting of the Round Table myth. She made it sound feminist with the narrator being female and criticizing things that were common in the Middle Ages in Europe. I also thought it wasn't even well documented so I found it a total waste of my time.

12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I love Pratchett's Discworld :)

Xanthus
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I am amazed the the person who started this didnt mention his own namesake. I read the first few pages of this and decided to just post.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan !! Gotta love it !!

also of course LotR

I did enjoy the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, but it got a little repetative after the first 5 books, same plot, new scenery.

Of course both Vampires and Witchs by Anne Rice (I am hoping the new Angel series is good, am getting ready to read the first installment)

I liked the Thomas Covenant series.

Piers Anthony's Xanth series was fun (I read the first 20 or so books and got a littlle sidetracked). Also like the Incarnations of Immortality he did, great stuff.

I loved Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia of course, as well as the Twilight Saga.

Jim Butchers the Dresden Files is fun too.

Mark Anthonys The Last Rune series was great !!

Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga.

Boy there are just so many good series out there.

Devorah
01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
The Master's of Rome - Colleen McCullough

Harry Potter - JK Rawlings

lowdown
01-03-2010, 10:20 AM
lloyd alexander - chronicles of prydain

terry brooks - kingdom for sale

i read both of those before i was grown ....i guess they are kids books but ...i still love them and will read them again ........as soon as im done with this dome clustermug

glm
02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
The Pine Deep Trilogy - Jonathan Maberry

lophophoras
02-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Harry Potter - Rowling
Event Group Series - Golemon
Odd Series - Koontz
Necroscope Series - Lumley
Meg Series - Alten

Claude Clay
02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
still a good thread--

some great reads here

Sai Hurin
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
DragonLance anyone? maybe not but it's still my favorite

dubrosa22
02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
The other best book series for me is Richard Stark's PARKER series!

Blazing writing with amazing characters and the most cold criminal brain ever imagined.

RIP Donald Westlake :(

http://violentworldofparker.com/

RainInSpain
07-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Did anyone mention Andrzej Sapkowski and his books from "The Witcher" series? It might be that not all of them have been translated to English yet, but they will be worth a look once they are - it's fantasy with a touch of Slavic mythology.

ELazansky
07-30-2010, 08:50 AM
My two favorite series are Dragonlance (but I only liked the Weis and Hickman written stories) and The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Okay so I have to get in on this...definitely my faves other than TDT (to which there is no comparison) are:
Harry Potter
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (awesomeness)
and *a little ashamed of this one* Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

Darkthoughts
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Bahahaaaa! Sookie is nothing to be ashamed of!

Welcome back, you haven't been here in aaaages! :D

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Bahahaaaa! Sookie is nothing to be ashamed of!

Welcome back, you haven't been here in aaaages! :D

I know, it's just that those books are so girly and romance-novel-y, which is not at all what I usually like to read.

And thankee sai, it has been a long time, and I'm glad to be back. Falling back into the palaver is kinda hard though, all these threads are so long! I'll never be able to read them all to the newest posts, so I'm just jumping in wherever.

Darkthoughts
10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I vote you jump into the fottergraphs thread immediately! I used to love your photos :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about Sookie. I avoided them for the longest time and ended up reading one whilst bored at my sister's house. It's everything I hate in a book and yet...I can't get enough of them!

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I vote you jump into the fottergraphs thread immediately! I used to love your photos :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about Sookie. I avoided them for the longest time and ended up reading one whilst bored at my sister's house. It's everything I hate in a book and yet...I can't get enough of them!

Thankee! Mayhap I'll take a gander in there...I haven't changed much but boy is my daughter a cutie pie. I think everyone should see a fottergraf or two of her for sure.

alkanto
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I have lots...
LOTR (and all companion novels)
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Dresden Files
The Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
The Legend of Drizzt - R.A. Salvatore
The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay
The King Raven Trilogy and The Song of Albion - Stephen Lawhead

I have a tendency to get involved in series rather than standalone books, it seems. It's not on purpose, but it does tend to get a bit expensive...

Darkthoughts
10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Mine are currently:

The Stephanie Plum series
The Dresden Files
The Felix Castor series

fernandito
10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Lisa - are you a fan of the Ender's Game series ?

haunted.lunchbox
10-21-2010, 09:19 AM

I have read some of the Drizzt series. I love them, the idea of a dark elf is very interesting to me. What do you think of the series Pond?

alkanto
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM

I have read some of the Drizzt series. I love them, the idea of a dark elf is very interesting to me. What do you think of the series Pond?

I really like them, personally! How far are you along in the series? The nice part about the series, for me, is that it really examines a lot of ethical and moral issues, without making it heavy or unenjoyable. For example, just look at the "Drizzt journals" between each sections of the book. Those are my favorite parts of those books.

Erin
10-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I have lots...
LOTR (and all companion novels)
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Dresden Files
The Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay
The King Raven Trilogy and The Song of Albion - Stephen Lawhead

I have a tendency to get involved in series rather than standalone books, it seems. It's not on purpose, but it does tend to get a bit expensive...

Awhile back I had someone buy me the three books in the Fionavar Tapestry, but I haven't read them yet. I need to get on that.

I also prefer series to stand alone books, but that's just because I like getting attached to characters and reading more and more about them.

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I think that The Dresden Files is probably my favorite series as of late. It changes a lot.

Sam
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
The Dune series through God Emperor of Dune
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson (I've been reading the Greek Myths since I was 8)
The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony

And I think I'll stop there.

haunted.lunchbox
10-25-2010, 09:29 AM

I really like them, personally! How far are you along in the series? The nice part about the series, for me, is that it really examines a lot of ethical and moral issues, without making it heavy or unenjoyable. For example, just look at the "Drizzt journals" between each sections of the book. Those are my favorite parts of those books.

I have made it to the Crystal Shard. I would like to continue to read all of them; however, there are a lot of things I wish to do and only so much time to do them in. I have to say I was very upset with what happened to Drizzt's birth father, and I am really interested in actually going back to his Homeland... I just found the plot lines there to be better than the ones where he is on the surface... then again, there are still at least six books I haven't read yet. One thing that bothers me about the way it is written is how it always goes back to his 'bleeding heart' and him questioning how other people are. I kind of feel, I know they are already, you don't have to describe their immorality for the tenth time.