PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sarah
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
So lets say they actaully do it. What would be the best format?

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see some great, real, landscapes for the movie

Daghain
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd rather see it on the big screen, but I think it could be condensed to 4 or 5.

Letti
09-18-2007, 10:37 AM
maerlyn, thanks I have been waiting for this poll for long :)

Matt
09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes!

Me and Sarah on the same page. :nana:

and...this is the newest poll on our news (http://http://www.thedarktower.org/news) page

MonteGss
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I voted for movies though I think seven is too many. I think Zone had the best idea for movies and I think his idea was four (??).

Patrick
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I'd like to see seven movies, but I don't think that would ever happen. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong someday.

I voted for the tv series option, in hopes of something high quality that takes the time to develop the full story well.

Odetta
09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
sorry... I don't want anything... can't be done right.

Letti
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
sorry... I don't want anything... can't be done right.

I thought the same for long... but now I think it's possible.
Maybe if King would be one of the directors, hm?

Arthur Heath
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
If they could get a great budget, go for it. If not, leave it alone.

fernandito
09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I voted movies, although I don't think think there should be so many. I can't think of any other thing I'd rather watch in a theatre then Roland and the Ka-Tet mowing people (and things!) down. :)

sarah
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
hmmm maybe i'll amend the poll.

I think if Jae Lee had his hand in some of the drawing it could really be done right as computer animation.

EDIT: I can't edit this poll as i don't have the power. :shrug:

She-Oy
09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I can't believe I voted this way, but I said "none of the above".

Sometimes it's best to keep things in one's own imagination. So many of King's works have been turned into crappy visual media. I have my own Roland in mind and I don't want him to be Clint Eastwood or some animated character...and I know if they are made into something, I would have to watch them, therefore forever altering my imagination....and I don't want that.

I'd like to see King keep these books pure to the individual.

sarajean
09-18-2007, 03:03 PM
i voted miniseries.

some of the best adaptations of king's work have been done through the miniseries vehicle, and i think it could really work if the right people were brought on board.

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm down with Odetta and She-Oy at the end of the day. If it has to be done I'd prefer anime.

ZoNeSeeK
09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I voted miniseries aswell. I dont see it ever lifting off ont he big screen due to funding.

jhanic
09-21-2007, 06:32 AM
I voted for not having it done. The mind's eye is best.

John

Storyslinger
09-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Very true John, nothing can ever compare to the movies we see in our minds, it is what makes us all unique, because we all see something different

Patrick
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I would have voted not to do it if it weren't for the Lord of the Rings films showing how wonderful it can be when a project is done right.

Letti
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I would have voted not to do it if it weren't for the Lord of the Rings films showing how wonderful it can be when a project is done right.

How true.

Harrald
09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
I honestly don't see how these could be made into movies. Even the Lord of the Rings was changed quite a bit for the movies. Time lines were different and some other details about relationships were added.

I'm not one of those people that rants about "the movie changing the book" If I was I wouldn't have been able to watch the Harry Potter movies. I look at these movies as if they are the abridged versions. I wouldn't want to see an abridged version of these books.

The only way it could be made would be in anime form and that would also ruin the story. There isn't enough of a following to make movies any money (it is show business, not show fun). An anime series could be made cheaply enough to be cost effective. The problem is it would have to be changed a bit for Japanese audiences. Japanese stories translate well to westerns, not the other way around.

But these are only my opinions.....

**EDIT**
Since I always imagined Roland as Clint Eastwood from The good, the bad and the ugly, it was easy to build the movie in my head. I had a main character, a setting and a feel for the world already.

Odetta
09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm down with Odetta and She-Oy at the end of the day.

:wub:

Letti
09-22-2007, 11:20 PM
The only way it could be made would be in anime form and that would also ruin the story.

Why do you think anime form would be better than a real movie? I am interested in it a lot. I am absolutely sure that real people (good ones the best ones) could give back the story much better.
Real people are real people.

Harrald
09-23-2007, 07:06 AM
The problems I see with this are

The amount of time that it would take to film movies. In the books the only person that ages more than a few months (maybe a year) is Roland. Jake becomes a real problem

The audience for these films would be to limited to recoup the investment. (Harry Potter works because of children. Every kid that sees the movie is at least 2 tickets. Lord of the Rings was paid for mostly with government funds. A box office bust wouldn't put a film company out of biz.)

It would be abridged to fit into movie form. (the parts I think would be cut and slashed would ruin it for me. I think W&G would become nothing more than a 5-10 minute flashback)

And finally....Could a movie come close to how good it looked in your head? (Like I posted elsewhere, I already had a face for Roland, a style for the scenery and a world for it all to take place in. It just looked like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to me

I don't think Anime would be better, just the only way to do it close to the books. Even then I don't think it could be done right. I'm sure there's more. But mostly I am scared that it would suck.

Why do you think anime form would be better than a real movie? I am interested in it a lot. <<SNIP>>

Matt
09-23-2007, 07:44 AM
I am not sure the Jake problem is that big of an obstacle, not only is time soft over there but they could make an effort to film most of his major scenes at the same time.--meaning all first or something like that.

Also, its a big deal in the story that time is "off" throughout. If asked how many years went by from the time Jake was drawn back into the story and the end, it would be impossible to say.

This is why I wouldn't mind seeing it done as a series of well done graphic cartoons--even if it was only to dvd or something like that---episodes on adult swim. The reason is because it would generate interest and how many of those kinds of things gone on to the big screen as actual movies?

ZoNeSeeK
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
The more i think about it, the more a cartoon-style series (anime or not) would work really well. And as its fake and artificial anyway, there's no real harm done to the images we have in our heads, plus they would have more screentime flexibility.

Storyslinger
09-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Ah, good point

fernandito
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM

Amen.

Also, if the movies are made and are not as good as we all hope they would be, it doesn't make the books any less grandiose than what they are.

And thaaaaaat's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so!

ZoNeSeeK
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Just saw the new movie trailer for "Cloverfield", JJ Abrams newest project, about some sort of invasion

looks kinda creepy

OchrisO
09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Just saw the new movie trailer for "Cloverfield", JJ Abrams newest project, about some sort of invasion

looks kinda creepy

There's some theory that http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com is a viraal marketing campaign for that movie, though Abrams denies it. http://slusho.jp
is most likely connected as well. There's a lot of pages dedicated to theory on figuring out what it is. Some folks think it is a Cthulhu movie.

Mordred Deschain
09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't realize the youtube teaser trailer with Clint Eastwood wasn't real. I was all excited!

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Some folks think it is a Cthulhu movie.

You better not even be kidding about that. I'm a big-time Cthulhu Mythos/Howard Phillips Lovecraft fan and that would be awesome.

Harrald
09-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Don't you mean "He who must be named"?

I have yet to see a good film/video version of an Ancient ones story. As a younger man I was a friend of the the son of one of the translators (cough..cough) of the Necronomricon.

\
You better not even be kidding about that. I'm a big-time Cthulhu Mythos/Howard Phillips Lovecraft fan and that would be awesome.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
The only movie that is a worthy "almost" adaption is In The Mouth of Madness..inspired by Lovecraft. One of my favorite horror movies.

Harrald
09-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of it let alone seen it. Looking at the director though, Carpenter is one of the few people that should be able to pull it off. Now I guess I need to check blockbuster and see if I can find it.

Thanks for the heads up.

The only movie that is a worthy "almost" adaption is In The Mouth of Madness..inspired by Lovecraft. One of my favorite horror movies.

Mordred Deschain
09-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey CK,

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/necro.jpg

my tattoo, the symbols are from the great book

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tattoo1.jpg

There was a movie, I think it was a 80's movie, but I can't remember the name of it, but in was about Lovecraft, er, one of the stories.

fernandito
09-29-2007, 12:10 PM
That's a dope ass tattoo :cool:

Wuducynn
09-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey CK,

There was a movie, I think it was a 80's movie, but I can't remember the name of it, but in was about Lovecraft, er, one of the stories.

Ohhhhh nice! :thumbsup: Go rent In The Mouth of Madness if you're a Lovecraft fan..fucking awesome movie.

flair
09-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Seven movies. The last time I read the series I kept thinking of it as a movie in my head. I could easily think of things they need to focus on, things they could get away with cutting out, and all that good stuff.

Letti
09-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Seven movies. The last time I read the series I kept thinking of it as a movie in my head. I could easily think of things they need to focus on, things they could get away with cutting out, and all that good stuff.

So we agree. :couple:

Mordred Deschain
09-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Hey CK,

Ohhhhh nice! :thumbsup: Go rent In The Mouth of Madness if you're a Lovecraft fan..fucking awesome movie.

Saw it, thought it was good, but I keep thinking like other movies, someone can do a better job.

ZoNeSeeK
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Is that the one with Sam Neil?

Brice
10-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Yes, it is.

Girlystevedave
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
The idea of having some awesome Dark Tower movie is so exciting. But then I think about how easy it would be to mess it up. There could be one bad actor, one scene cut out that would ruin the whole thing. Oh! I'm so torn.

RUBE
10-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I think it COULD be awesome as a series of movies but I do not see them making seven. I know you would have to cut a lot but I think four might be best. Maybe you could combine 1 & 2, 3 & 4, and 5 & 6 and leave 7 alone. Of course, since 3 & 4 are so long, the time in Mejis would probably be a much smaller flashback.

Everyone should send Peter Jackson copies of the Dark Tower books and hope he reads and likes them. Just kidding, but I do think it will take someone who loves the books like Jackson loved LOTR to make the movies great. Maybe Abrams is that person. Maybe.

BTW, I have titles for three of the four movies:

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Draws Three
The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands, the Wizard, and the Glass
The Dark Tower: ? (this one is harder, maybe just The Song of Susannah since her story is very key in WOTC anyway)
The Dark Tower

Wuducynn
10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it COULD be awesome as a series of movies but maybe not seven. I know you would have to cut a lot but I think four might be best. Maybe you could combine 1 & 2, 3 & 4, and 5 & 6 and leave 7 alone. Of course, since 3 & 4 are so long, the time in Mejis would probably be a much smaller flashback.

Everyone should send Peter Jackson copies of the Dark Tower books and hope he reads and likes them. Just kidding, but I do think it will take someone who loves the books like Jackson loved LOTR to make the movies great. Maybe Abrams is that person. Maybe.

BTW, I have titles for three of the four movies:

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Draws Three
The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands, the Wizard, and the Glass
The Dark Tower: ? (this one is harder, maybe just The Song of Susannah since her story is very key in WOTC anyway)
The Dark Tower

Paul W.S. Anderson, the only man for the job.

Letti
10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
The idea of having some awesome Dark Tower movie is so exciting. But then I think about how easy it would be to mess it up. There could be one bad actor, one scene cut out that would ruin the whole thing. Oh! I'm so torn.

Yes, these things bug me too.
Some or only one bad choice could ruin the whole movie for me.
(Am I too sensitive?)

Wuducynn
10-17-2007, 05:35 AM
(Am I too sensitive?)

Well you could choose not to let it ruin the whole movie for you.

Letti
10-17-2007, 05:46 AM
(Am I too sensitive?)

Well you could choose not to let it ruin the whole movie for you.

How so?
To close my eyes while I am watching it?

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 05:59 AM
and your ears :lol:

Letti
10-17-2007, 06:02 AM
and your ears :lol:

Yes. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 06:02 AM
:lol:

Wuducynn
10-17-2007, 06:27 AM
How so?

So your telling me you have no control over your own feelings or how you deal with things?

Letti
10-17-2007, 06:30 AM
How so?

So your telling me you have no control over your own feelings or how you deal with things?

Sadly, Matthew I often have no control over my own feelings. Yeah. But... you know... I am a chick. A quite silly one. :)
How do I deal with things?
Usually I manage..
and sometimes I don't.
But I can live with it.

Wuducynn
10-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Sadly, Matthew I often have no control over my own feelings. Yeah. But... you know... I am a chick. A quite silly one. :)
Usually I manage..
and sometimes I don't.
But I can live with it.

That is sad. Because I wouldn't want to let one moment in an otherwise wonderful movie experience of a lifetime ruin it for me.

lepra79
10-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I donīt like DT movies idea. I thinks like Jhanic

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
they could never make a DT movie sereis and if they i hope to God, Jesus, Buda, Zues, Jupiter, Shiva, Odin, and any other gods out there that if they do it wont turn out like Eragon (movie) a steaming pile of S***

Randall Flagg
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I would rather the movie(s) not be made if they came out as bad as Eragon.

Erin
10-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree. I say either go Lord of the Rings-style quality with it or don't do it at all.

ZoNeSeeK
10-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Dark Tower MMORPG would be the shit. How awesome would that be???

Letti
10-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Usually I manage..
and sometimes I don't.
But I can live with it.

That is sad. Because I wouldn't want to let one moment in an otherwise wonderful movie experience of a lifetime ruin it for me.

But we weren't talking about a bad moment but bad characters. That's not the same.
Of course one moment or one bad scene can't ruin a good movie for me (if that scene wasn't very important.
But an important but bad charater could. Easily.

Darkthoughts
10-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Dark Tower MMORPG would be the shit. How awesome would that be???

WHOA YEAH!!! That would be amazing!! They're bringing out a Lost pc/Xbox360/ps3 game next year, so if the movie gets underway maybe they'll push for that too if the Lost one is successful.:excited:

Wuducynn
10-18-2007, 05:46 AM

(Am I too sensitive?)

One choice? Sorry, I guess I took that as a moment in the movie ruining it for you.

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Some movies. I don't know if seven. Maybe they can do just six. But, of course, it should be GREAT movies... with a great budget!

Harrald
10-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I've been thinking about this since I first read the thread.

The BBC could have done justice. They are well known for keeping as close to the books as possible. From Conan Doyle to Douglas Adams and every sci-fi and mystery in between. The only problem as I see it is that they are getting ready to downsize and cut costs. This could dramatically decrease the quality of programing they deliver.

If a miracle happens and they don't begin to lose quality I feel they could make a great DT mini series (however many it would take)

Darkthoughts
10-20-2007, 03:37 AM
The BBC made a mini series of Gormenghast a few years back - the cast was excellent, costume, scenery etc - but I still nit picked.

I also think it should be made by Americans in America, it'd lose something being made by Brits I reckon. Still, I feel that way about alot of native legends etc that get made into films, I think they should be made by directors native to the tale, and likewise with cast.

JWskiman
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I've given this lots of thought. IMHO, the only ways I'd like to see it done are big-screen, miniseries, or regular series. My thoughts on each:

BIG-SCREEN: I'd think they'd have to use LOTR as a template to shoot DT as a trilogy. You couldn't do it as 7 movies for three reasons: money, money, and money. Hell, look how long it took for the Star Wars prequels to get made! Think of the scope and scale that LOTR was done with - you'd need the same sprawling landscapes (albeit deserts instead of mountainous plains) to convey the length of the quests. The only downside to the trilogy would be making cuts to some parts. I could see I and II combined as the first... III, V and VI as the second (IV might be used as flashbacks in all three, but couldn't stand on it's own), and VII standing pretty much on it's own as the finale. Not perfect, I know, but hey - it's not like I'm a big Hollywood producer that's actually going to make this happen!

MINISERIES - The plus side to a mini-series is that whichever network (cable, most likely Sci-Fi) bids on it would be committed to running it in it's entirety. Miniseries typically have a bigger budget than regular TV series, and of course a TV series could always be canceled if the ratings were poor. I still think the best I ever saw was "Shogun", and if DT could match its scope, it could be very well done indeed.

TV SERIES - This option would actually allow for the fullest narrative, allow more in-depth exploration of the characters, and best chance to tell every chapter of every story. As noted before, however, ratings would spell it's fate and possibly before the story is completely told. I could see it being done, however. It would again have to be on a cable network - they're less prone to ratings swoons than the big 4 (sorry CW - you're not). The other drawback would be the time it takes to shoot the entire story. For instance, our dreams come true and it's successful TV series that lasts for, say, 5 years. An actor portraying Jake would age quite a bit, wouldn't he?

I've read the rumors about JJ Abrahms possibly directing a movie about it, but I can't bear the thought of it being just one. And I cant' imagine SK's 'magnum opus' being an after-thought type of project. I'd want to do the whole thing from start to finish and do it big. *sigh* We all can dream, can't we?

Randall Flagg
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Good thoughts. Welcome to the site. Hope to see you posting more great stuff.

Darkthoughts
11-15-2007, 04:42 AM
I still think the best I ever saw was "Shogun", and if DT could match its scope, it could be very well done indeed.
Oh bloody hell! Shogun was brilliant!! I have all the James Clavell books and was not at all disappointed by the series :thumbsup:

RUBE
11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
At first I was totally against The Dark Tower being a set of animated movies but, now that I have the way they used it for Beowulf, I think it might be the way to go. With the motion-capture technology used in Beowulf the characters could look pretty real and it would solve problems like Jake aging and recreating some of the crazy things that King has thought up. I guess how well Beowulf does at the box office will determine if more movies will be made that way.

Hannah
11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I can see everyone's votes! teehee.

Rolands_Father
12-03-2007, 05:17 AM
If a movie did ever come out, I would definitly send one of my lesser DT junkie friends, that dont care as much, just to see what they said about it. You now... Just to stay on the safe side. It means alot to me, and i hope SK is critiquing it the entire time. They Can't SCREW IT UP!!!!!!!! After all $19 for the rights is alot of $money$!!!!!:orely:

Dan Dinh
12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I voted movies. Beowulf style CGI would be awesome.

I think a Tv miniseries is the way it will probably end up though.

Matt
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I agree, I think in the end it may be the only way they can really do it.

NeedfulKings
12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I voted for computer animated movie. I think they would have so many more resources available to make it work. 7 movies would be too much. 3 might be too little.

I would hope they could follow the sequence of events just as the books were written. And I do think W&G could stand on it's own. The only change would have to be the cliffhanger ending of III.

Great question!!!! :D

Bill Denbrough
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I just watched Once Upon a Time in the West with Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda.

If you have not seen this motion picture, rent it immediately and watch it start to finish.

This is how the Dark Tower movies need to be made. None of this half-assed, animated, television crap. Epic western. The books are westerns at heart, and that spirit has to be preserved.

Seven live action movies. Seven Sergio Leone epics.

That is the only way to do this right.

'Nuff said.

Matt
12-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Great insight Bill--thanks for posting it.

I have to agree it could be done well in this format but the magic aspect would worry me a bit.

Bill Denbrough
12-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I think, if I was given the opportunity to make the films (which I will relentlessly pursue once I graduate UCLA), I would make some changes to DT7: such as, move Walter's death closer to the end, and give him a 'Last Palaver' with Roland, as well as have Patrick fulfill Clotho and Lachesis's prophecy, giving Roland more of a hand in CK's death.

timtempest6
01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
did anyone else fell sick when thay saw the preview of cloverfeild caus thedarktower.net had my hopes up. there is another problem that has not been posted (or i missed) dr doom, light sabers, harry potter, sneeches, and more, how much money would it take to buy the right to that stuff??. and i never realy thought about anime but thats not a bad idea. 60% of the story is peoples thoughts. like mordred there would be no way to capture his personality without hearing his thoughts

William50
01-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I do not think that anyone should even try to make the DT sereis into a movie, or movies. It would ruin it for sure!

Matt
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
did anyone else fell sick when thay saw the preview of cloverfeild caus thedarktower.net had my hopes up. there is another problem that has not been posted (or i missed) dr doom, light sabers, harry potter, sneeches, and more, how much money would it take to buy the right to that stuff??. and i never realy thought about anime but thats not a bad idea. 60% of the story is peoples thoughts. like mordred there would be no way to capture his personality without hearing his thoughts

I consider that a huge hurdle to consider when doing this movie, so much of it happens inside one person or another's head.

William50
01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
If anyone could make the movie it would be Peter Jackson.

jayson
01-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Sure, he'd probably eliminate a few characters and just have Susan Delgado do what they did like he did with Arwen.

ZoNeSeeK
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM

King has already sold the option to JJ abrams, remember.

But who knows, apparently he has a stupid amount of projects going on at the moment. Another director may take it over - but yeah, I don't think King would let some hack ruin his life's work, he's said so himself.

Thats the best assurance any of us can ever have - that the end product is something King will be really happy with. As a fan you can't ask for more, I don't think :)

William50
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I take back what i said. NOBODY should try to turn it into a movie or movies. I like it as it is, and there is no need for a film.

Randall Flagg
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I think anyone and everyone should make the movie.
If you have already read the story, the movie does not ruin the book, it only is a letdown-if you see it as such.
If by chance the movie inspires someone to read the books, I think the person will be pleased to have been alerted to the written word.
There are at least 3 version of The Shining out there. King hates 2 of the 3, yet Film Critics love one of the two King hates.
Go figure.

Kancer
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it should be an HBO or Showtime Series. Each book would be more than enough for 1 season making it a 7-season series. That's a good TV run in anyone's book.

TerribleT
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I think it should be an HBO or Showtime Series. Each book would be more than enough for 1 season making it a 7-season series. That's a good TV run in anyone's book.

Kind of like Band of Brothers?

Matt
01-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Kind of like Band of Brothers?

That's a pretty good idea there!

Welcome to the site Kancer

ENDER1984
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh yeh...a Band of Brothers type series would be perfect, as long as the budget was large enough, but i think in the end it would be impossible to capture everyone's "mind's eye" of the Dark Tower series...everyone will most likely be disappointed with something. But i believe it would be worth it for the moments it could possibly capture.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
THIS POST IS ENTIRELY MAJOR SPOILERS!

Y'know, after many years of defending this idea, I am now changing my mind: this series should never see film. Now, it's a rumour that J.J. Abrams will do this, right? and that is apparently looking more likely, but I don't care. No one could do this right. I was reading Robin's concordance the other day and was reminded of the Tower's "singing" of sorts. How could anyone possibly make this work on screen? So many other things in the books would also not translate well. I would much rather imagine it in my mind than watch some overrated director's vision of it.

Other things that won't work on film: Jake's age staying consistent, the abortion scene, the demon scenes, mordred, the entire abandoned house sequence with Jake, the concept behind drawing people, wolves of the calla's villains, the ending.

Could these things really work on film? Really?

On the other hand, if we were to be given a film based on Roland's origins and would actually tell more of the story like the comic book lied it would do, we could get some very visually engaging sequences: The entire W&G story, Gilead in it's prime, Jericho Hill, young Roland in all his kick-ass glory, Cuthbert, Cort, and Flagg when he was still written as an omnipotent force rather than just a little boy who ran off to learn magic tricks after his daddy touched him in his special place.

If any film should be made involving Roland's story, I think his past would work much better on film.

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm against any books being made into films, but if this has to be done I voted for animation.
All those concepts and scenes you mentioned above could be realised in that media, rather than glossed over or missed out completely.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm against any books being made into films, but if this has to be done I voted for animation.
All those concepts and scenes you mentioned above could be realised in that media, rather than glossed over or missed out completely.

I agree that animation would be the only way alot of this stuff could work, but y'know, I am sure that I am not alone here when I say that an animated Dark Tower film would ruin the story for me.

jayson
01-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Agreed. It's really the only way I would feel comfortable seeing it on the screen. In addition to the good points that Lisa & Dud-a-chum made about certain scenes not working in live action, I wonder a lot about casting. I feel there may too much pressure from one quarter or another to cast known commodities who might not be the best casting choices. With live action, I'd prefer complete unknowns [let Roland be Roland at first, not an actor I know who is playing Roland]. With animation this wouldn't be an issue. All that said, it is fun to play would-be casting agent for the series. [Have I suggested the lady from "Jesus Camp" as Sylvia Pittston yet?]

As anyone who has read my posts in the Lord of the Rings thread, my biggest concern involving any attempts at bringing the series to film is that a director would create new material at the expense of existing material.

jayson
01-13-2008, 12:29 PM
ultimately, my vote is still for "don't make it at all." i'm comfortable with the version in my imagination.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
ultimately, my vote is still for "don't make it at all." i'm comfortable with the version in my imagination.

I agree, but sadly, the Dark Tower cow is way too juicy not to milk in film companies' eyes. Let's face it, much smaller scale King stories have been adapted; what would stop a company from adapting his greatest work? Especially now, considering it is complete.

jayson
01-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I agree, but sadly, the Dark Tower cow is way too juicy not to milk in film companies' eyes. Let's face it, much smaller scale King stories have been adapted; what would stop a company from adapting his greatest work? Especially now, considering it is complete.

oh i'm quite sure it will happen and i will feel compelled to see it. i'm just afraid i'll wish i hadn't.

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
The only way I could see this working for the big screen would be if Peter Jackson and the folks at WETA were to do it. I think the landscape of New Zealand would be perfect for some of the outdoor shots, but they'd pretty much have to build sections of New York and dress them for three different periods.

Thing is though, some of those books are farking huge.
I cringe thinking what might get cut out of some of them. :scared:

I wonder if Jackson and WETA would consider doing a mega series?
I really dig the mini series that were done for King's stuff in the past, especially The Shining. (Hugs DVD)

We now need an Actor thread... if there isn't one already.

Matt
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I think if they can take HP 7 movies, they should be able to do them with this series as well.

Randall Flagg
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
John, I merged this into this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=913&page=4) that is discussing format and casting for the series.
I'll leave a 1 day redirect.

sarah
01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi all you posters! This thread is going to be moved to Gilead and then taken apart to make two threads. I'm hoping to have it all sorted by sometime tomorrow.

thanks!

~maerlyn

EDIT: UPDATE!

Hi everyone-

Sorry for the mix up and confusion today with these two threads. I have split the two threads that were merged earlier today. Lets try and keep them on topic.

Thank you!!

~maerlyn

cozener
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
THIS POST IS ENTIRELY MAJOR SPOILERS!

Y'know, after many years of defending this idea, I am now changing my mind: this series should never see film. Now, it's a rumour that J.J. Abrams will do this, right? and that is apparently looking more likely, but I don't care. No one could do this right. I was reading Robin's concordance the other day and was reminded of the Tower's "singing" of sorts. How could anyone possibly make this work on screen? So many other things in the books would also not translate well. I would much rather imagine it in my mind than watch some overrated director's vision of it.

Other things that won't work on film: Jake's age staying consistent, the abortion scene, the demon scenes, mordred, the entire abandoned house sequence with Jake, the concept behind drawing people, wolves of the calla's villains, the ending.

Could these things really work on film? Really?

. Absolutely...I think those things could be done on film quite well.
The biggest obstacle would be Jakes age. I think they'd have to do a Peter Jackson and do all the movies at once. I don't think they could do 7 movies. The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three would have to be one movie. Wastelands and Wizard and Glass another. The last three could be one very long movie...a good 3 and a half hours but, and I know I'll catch hell for saying it but, Wolves of the Calla really could be condensed dramatically as could SoS.

jmhpfan
01-24-2008, 10:12 AM
The only way for the DT series to generate the buzz neccisary to realy pull it off successfuly is to turn it into a massive multi-media event. There need to be games (ARG, RPG, FPS, pen and pape), online viginettes, documentaries, toys, anything and everything possable to grab peolpes intrest. There needs to be as much money put into marketing the series as is put into producing the series. People need to feel like they have to see what this whole Dark Tower thing is about.

childeluke
01-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Hands down, an HBO Series. Spend a season on each book(12 1 hour episodes) They do really good work. Although they have a horrible history of canceling magnificent shows.......BRING BACK CARNIVALE YOU BASTARDS!

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 06:46 AM
The only way for the DT series to generate the buzz neccisary to realy pull it off successfuly is to turn it into a massive multi-media event. There need to be games (ARG, RPG, FPS, pen and pape), online viginettes, documentaries, toys, anything and everything possable to grab peolpes intrest. There needs to be as much money put into marketing the series as is put into producing the series. People need to feel like they have to see what this whole Dark Tower thing is about.

Exactly. I feel if they don't do something like this, it would bomb because its too different from what most folk are used to, especially coming from S.K.

jmhpfan
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
One of the big problems with making them into movies is that they don't have a genre. They have elements of fantasy, horror, and science fiction but they don't fit any one. This shouldn't be a problem once people start watching but it is getting them to watch in the first place that will be hard. Advertising for a genreless movie is a nearly imposable task. I know alot of people would think that you could bill it as an action movie but that wouldn't work. It is the same problem that advertising the LoTR movies as action movies had, i.e. most of the movies were filled with walking, talking, and more walking.

I think that the only way to advertise effectively is to focus on all of the books different qualities at the same time. Different commercials for the Sci-fi, fantasy, action, horror and philosophical aspects. These adds need to be everywhere. The fan community needs to get behind this buzz and push the hell out of it. If they do this then what ever form the adaptation takes it will be a success if not we will never see the end of the series it will die before we get there.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
LOTR was a lot easier to sell to the public because its well known and already had a giant fan base. The DT is nowhere NEAR as known, sadly. I don't agree that it is no genre, I consider it "multi-genre". I do agree that, that kind of thing is hard sell, especially for movies, where most of the population isn't that interested in having to think about things in a different way.
They like something easy to define... "good guy here" "bad guy here" "easily understood goal here" insert funny dialogue.

jayson
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
LOTR was a lot easier to sell to the public because its well known and already had a giant fan base. The DT is nowhere NEAR as known, sadly. I don't agree that it is no genre, I consider it "multi-genre". I do agree that, that kind of thing is hard sell, especially for movies, where most of the population isn't that interested in having to think about things in a different way.
They like something easy to define... "good guy here" "bad guy here" "easily understood goal here" insert funny dialogue.

Well said Matt. It's the multi-genre thing that attracts me to it so much, but also what I know will not be an asset with the general public who like things in easily categorized servings. In an ideal world the general public wouldn't matter, it would made for people who would already appreciate it solely because it is what it is, but I agree, there aren't nearly enough of us to make that a realistic possibility. Movies are a business. In the long run, if I don't like whatever film eventually comes, I always have the audiobooks and my very visual imagination.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Well said Matt. It's the multi-genre thing that attracts me to it so much, but also what I know will not be an asset with the general public who like things in easily categorized servings. In an ideal world the general public wouldn't matter, it would made for people who would already appreciate it solely because it is what it is, but I agree, there aren't nearly enough of us to make that a realistic possibility. Movies are a business. In the long run, if I don't like whatever film eventually comes, I always have the audiobooks and my very visual imagination.

The multi-genre thing is a big attraction for me, but I've always been an "out-of-the-box" thinker. I have no problem with movies being a business, and the fact that those who want to make money will sell something accordingly, but whats nice is that there are folks who do things whether or not they'll make mass appeal.
Hopefully someone will come along and say "I want to do it right and I have the bucks to do it"..in that case I'm all for making the Dark Tower series into movies. Until then and including, I'm pushing for a full-cast audio drama with sound effects and music. :cool:

jayson
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
The multi-genre thing is a big attraction for me, but I've always been an "out-of-the-box" thinker. I have no problem with movies being a business, and the fact that those who want to make money will sell something accordingly, but whats nice is that there are folks who do things whether or not they'll make mass appeal.
Hopefully someone will come along and say "I want to do it right and I have the bucks to do it"..in that case I'm all for making the Dark Tower series into movies. Until then and including, I'm pushing for a full-cast audio drama with sound effects and music. :cool:

couldn't agree more on all counts. if it's not going to be done right, i'd rather it not be done at all. a full-on audio version would be an easier to achieve goal, and should def be done, movie or not.

Valkyrie
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I would love to see Roland and ka-tet on the big screen. I remember that feeling I had as I sat in the theater waiting for the first Lord of the Rings movie to start. I was completely nervous and eager to see it.

My biggest misgiving in seeing it turned into a movie is that I kind of like it's relative obscurity compared to other works of King. In a weird way, even though I know that these books have been read millions of times, I feel like it is a small community of people who felt so much a part of the story. Roland and the ka-tet became real to me. Okay, I know it is simply fiction, but hopefully you'll know what I mean by that statement. I don't know what I'm trying to say. But I think my fear of something being done horribly wrong about the movies would upset me greatly. Way more so than anything in the Lord of the Rings.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I Roland and the ka-tet became real to me. Okay, I know it is simply fiction, but hopefully you'll know what I mean by that statement. I don't know what I'm trying to say. But I think my fear of something being done horribly wrong about the movies would upset me greatly. Way more so than anything in the Lord of the Rings.

I know EXACTLY what you mean and I feel the same, to the word.

jmhpfan
01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
The way I have been recently imagining having the story re-told is on the big screen in a manner somewhat like that of Kill Bill with every thing broken up into different sections each with its own feel. I think that the tale of Roland should be told more or less chronologically starting just before his test of manhood. I also think that the tale should be told in its entirety (all of the DT stories should be done as side inserts). Some parts of the tale can be made into net shorts to keep interest up between films. Parts of it can be anime parts live action other parts CGI all of it designed to keep the interest level up. This is a really long story and people need a reason to keep watching and part of that is not making them board. Adding in some of the other DT writings that are more like what people expect from Stephen King will keep them from losing interest in the series.

I also am on the side of showing more of Roland after Mejis and before the fall of Gilead. Lets see what Gunslingers were like before they were wiped out. We also need to see at least one film with Roland helping a town in need before he slaughters the town of Tull. I realize that these suggestions make what is already a monster of a project seem even more outrageous but I think it can be done. I am thinking along the lines of the James Bond series, there are 21 of these films already with plans to make two more already in the works. The DT series deserves no less ambitious an aim. Some will say that they could only accomplish this with multiple actors playing the part of Bond and rightfully so but what harm would there be in that. I see nothing but positive in this regard. Many people complain that if the books were made into movies that it would ruin it for them due to the fact that they would be forever stuck with the image of one actor playing the part of Roland. If there were several different Rolands over the course of the films no one would be stuck in anyone’s mind. It may even get to the point where people start whole websites dedicated to their favorite Roland or Eddie. Wouldn't that be great!

Modesto
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
As everyone knows, J.J. Abrams is rumored to do some type of film version of the Dark Towers, most people speculating a miniseries. As I was watching the season premier of LOST last night, it kind struck me that it was very likely the Dark Towers could become a big budget television series just like LOST. Do you think its possible that Abrams wants the Dark Towers to be his next show, a couple years from now when LOST concludes?

Matt
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Interesting idea Modesto, I could certainly handle it in that format.

Great first post, welcome to the site

Modesto
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
thanks matt :)

Matt
02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
You welcome.

Since this is a speculation thread, it will probably be moved out of the "news" forum.

And possibly merged because I believe someone has already started something similar--but I am going to leave that up to the staff to figure out. :lol:

Mattrick
02-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I've been saying this for years. What makes The Dark Tower so good is the journey, how long it takes and the rewards that brings. That's what makes LOST so great, the slow burn, the intricate plot, learning bit by bit the realities of the island. There is too much content to be bottled up into movies. I hear Harry Potter is bad for this, imagine the Dark Tower...

I think it might have to be HBO though...the demon rape scene (kind of crucial to plot) comes to mind when it comes to taboo for TV.

ATG
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
As everyone knows, J.J. Abrams is rumored to do some type of film version of the Dark Towers, most people speculating a miniseries. As I was watching the season premier of LOST last night, it kind struck me that it was very likely the Dark Towers could become a big budget television series just like LOST. Do you think its possible that Abrams wants the Dark Towers to be his next show, a couple years from now when LOST concludes?

I hope not; The Stand mini-series was weak imo.

jhanic
02-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Actually, I'm hoping that The Dark Tower NEVER be done, either as a movie, set of movies, TV series or whatever. I just don't think that whichever way it is done can compare to what I have in my head. All it would take is a mistake in casting (remember Molly Ringwald in The Stand?) to ruin the entire thing. And the things they'd HAVE to leave out!! Thanks, I'll stick to the books.

John

jayson
02-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Actually, I'm hoping that The Dark Tower NEVER be done, either as a movie, set of movies, TV series or whatever. I just don't think that whichever way it is done can compare to what I have in my head. All it would take is a mistake in casting (remember Molly Ringwald in The Stand?) to ruin the entire thing. And the things they'd HAVE to leave out!! Thanks, I'll stick to the books.

John

John, I couldn't agree more, and the notion of it as a TV series, well that alone is enough to piss me off. If, and I mean IF, it is to be made, the small screen is not the place for a story like this. The TV format, miniseries, full season, whatever, is not the place. The stories are not meant to be told in little one-hour chunks.

Brice
02-02-2008, 04:29 AM

John

I actually liked Molly Ringwald in The Stand. *shrug* Otherwise I agree with you entirely John.

jayson
02-02-2008, 04:34 AM
I actually liked Molly Ringwald in The Stand. *shrug* Otherwise I agree with you entirely John.

Not often we disagree Brice, but here, alas we do. Like John, I use her as an example of how not to cast a Stephen King adaptation.

Brice
02-02-2008, 04:36 AM

Not often we disagree Brice, but here, alas we do. Like John, I use her as an example of how not to cast a Stephen King adaptation.

I just really enjoyed that whole movie for the most part. :) Oh well, we can't agree on everything.

jayson
02-02-2008, 04:38 AM
truth be told, i didn't love it so much. i use it as an example of why i don't want to "see" dark tower on the screen in anything other than a fully animated version. the idea of using known quantities as actors just rubs me the wrong way.

Brice
02-02-2008, 04:47 AM
I can understand. I just disagree in that instance. I definitely am opposed to any kind of DT movie, series, or the like.

jayson
02-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I definitely am opposed to any kind of DT movie, series, or the like.

that we agree on, and that is the important part

Brice
02-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes, it is. :thumbsup:

Matt
02-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I think the "Molly Ringwald in The Stand" example is a perfect point. I didn't like her in the Fran role either...I mean, totally wrong. Felt the same about the guy who played Flagg.

I've watched the miniseries 3 or 4 times and even after all that, it takes nothing away from the original story in my mind. That's why I don't mind if they make the movies...it will expose people to the story and if they want the real deal, they will read it.

Imagine how many people decided they really needed to actually read LOTR for the first time after the movies came out

Modesto
02-02-2008, 07:43 AM
I agree with Matt. Even if the film version of DT was bad, It wouldn't ruin the books. I'd also suspect a much higher production and budget from a project run by J.J. Abrams then that of the The Stand miniseries. I also think the Dark Towers could fit perfect in a LOST format.

jayson
02-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't think it would ruin the books in any way. Nothing could do that. I jujst don't want to deal with what I dealt with after LotR came out as movies, which was the idiocy of hearing "i like the movies better" from people who never read the books until it was a movie. i dont begrudge them their incorrect opinions, but should i hear that about the DT, i may have to punch someone. i know it doesn't make it true, but it is nonetheless annoying.

Matt
02-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I hope they come here in the millions and say that very thing. :lol:

jayson
02-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I hope they come here in the millions and say that very thing. :lol:

:rofl:

Brice
02-02-2008, 08:38 AM
...so we can set them straight. :dance:

Mattrick
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
[quote=jhanic;102261]Actually, I'm hoping that The Dark Tower NEVER be done, either as a movie, set of movies, TV series or whatever. I just don't think that whichever way it is done can compare to what I have in my head. All it would take is a mistake in casting (remember Molly Ringwald in The Stand?) to ruin the entire thing. And the things they'd HAVE to leave out!! Thanks, I'll stick to the books.

John

I'm sure it can't, but it would be nice to see. Having a TV series would help more things be included where as a movie series would be very condensed. I'm not sure why people complain about things being left out. If anyone thinks that they will get a perfect, unchanged adaptation they are mistaken. Things work better in written word than film sometimes and vice versa. I can see being mad if they pulled a Dreamcatcher and just plain mangled it. I heard enough from hardcore LOTR fans about leaving things out in the movies. If you want it to be just like the books, don't watch the movies.

John, I couldn't agree more, and the notion of it as a TV series, well that alone is enough to piss me off. If, and I mean IF, it is to be made, the small screen is not the place for a story like this. The TV format, miniseries, full season, whatever, is not the place. The stories are not meant to be told in little one-hour chunks.

It's not meant to be told in little one-hour chunks? Let's see if you can do the math...If following Lost's forumal we have 24, 40 (more like 42, but I'm rounding down) minute episodes. Now multiply those. Now, mutliply that by number of seasons made for The Dark Tower (Let's say, we have five). But seven, 2-4 hours movies are the same? 7x4=28...less hours than a season and a half if on TV.

As for how The Dark Tower is meant to be told, did you read every book in a single sitting? If not, then I don't get your point. A television series is more like a book, anyways - little bits of information per episode. Why do you think Lost is so popular? It wouldn't be as good if it was all condensed into a three hour movie per season...which is how the dark tower would be.

I don't think it would ruin the books in any way. Nothing could do that. I jujst don't want to deal with what I dealt with after LotR came out as movies, which was the idiocy of hearing "i like the movies better" from people who never read the books until it was a movie. i dont begrudge them their incorrect opinions, but should i hear that about the DT, i may have to punch someone. i know it doesn't make it true, but it is nonetheless annoying.

I read 2/3's of Lord of the Rings before I saw the movies. And I still like the movies better because Tolkien is one hell of a boring writer. You have to remember, the way you experienced middle earth for the first time on pages, others experience it for the first time on the screen. If you've never read a book after you've seen the movie and not be able to get the movies images out of your head...While reading The Mist the movie played out in my head. I enjoyed the theatrical experience more but I still loved the novella. Don't begrudge people because you read the books first, they don't begrudge you for it.

Darkthoughts
02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
If you want it to be just like the books, don't watch the movies.
I think people who love certain books cannot help watching the movie sometimes, perhaps in the hope the translation was faithful.

But really, so what if they critique the film for that very reason?

As for how The Dark Tower is meant to be told, did you read every book in a single sitting? If not, then I don't get your point. A television series is more like a book, anyways - little bits of information per episode. Why do you think Lost is so popular? It wouldn't be as good if it was all condensed into a three hour movie per season...which is how the dark tower would be.
Well, obviously the difference with a book is, you're in control of when you stop reading. You control the length of the "episode", you take it at your own pace. Its going to get condensed whether its a series or a movie.

Don't begrudge people because you read the books first, they don't begrudge you for it.
You have an odd way of regarding other people's opinions. Its as if anyone that disagrees with you is bitching, but if you disagree its because you're right - how is that so?

Mattrick
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
If you want it to be just like the books, don't watch the movies.
I think people who love certain books cannot help watching the movie sometimes, perhaps in the hope the translation was faithful.

But really, so what if they critique the film for that very reason?

I'm not saying to not compare it to the book, that is obviously impossible. But I hear the same complaint from any cross medium adaptation. I can see if your complaint is 'it was hardly like the book' as was my complant when I watch 'Jurrasic Park: The Lost World' in theatres. I'd say besides a couple scenes and a couple characters it was the same in name only.

But really, anyone going into a movie based off something, in a different medium, has to expect things to be lost in translation. Many things that are subtle in the film (see parts of Dreamcatcher, Beav and the toothpick for example) but full fleshed in the books. Maybe instead of telling you what they think you have to try and figure it out for itself. But when I hear 'it wasn't like the book! They left stuff out!' over and over again, movie to movie, I just wonder. You have the movie to be a movie and the book to be the book. Neither gets ruined and both can be appreciated for different reasons.

Well, obviously the difference with a book is, you're in control of when you stop reading. You control the length of the "episode", you take it at your own pace. Its going to get condensed whether its a series or a movie.

When a writer has chapters - that is to break up the book. What do episodes do? Break up the season. I'm not sure how they are different. Sure you don't have to read the whole chapter at once but it was broke into pieces like that, by the author, for a reason. Also, I started watching Lost a few months ago. I had the option of watching as long as I wanted in a sitting and I could stop halfway through episode, thanks to DVDs. Now tell me, how is that different than putting a book down whenever? Hell, right now I've had the last ten minutes of Season One finale on pause while writing this post, coincidentally.

Find it ironic that this is also said about a book series that took 30 years to release 7 books and has a periodical graphic novel...How is a book series different than a television series, by the way?

Does it have to be condensed? Read 'Darkly, Dreaming, Dexter' and then watch season 1 of 'Dexter'. Look at how much they had to add, relationships they had to develop for the sake of it being a TV and not a book. While both cover the essential same plot points, the book is first person, the movie is not. I'm sure you've read The Mist, which actually develops more characters, sheds light on a few more and extends the story past where the novella ends.

Abrams is a King fan, King is an Abrams fan. You know why I love Lost (besides the characters and production quality) so much? Because I have that same feeling I did when reading The Dark Tower - flesh characters, a weird place/world where you slowly learn more and more about as you go. You watch Lost, right? Could you have imagined after season one that there would behelicopters dropping people of who want control the island, Dharma, The others (not their act, but the real others), Jacob, Christian Shepard etc? The Dark Tower slow burns the same way, going from A Gunslinger going to a tower to Beams and Breakers to demons and Crimson King, todash, time travel, doors to people's minds etc. It's the same quality I know would be brought to the tv show, where it would be most effective, with a lot of the same people involved. They are all huge fans. I figured people would be overjoyed to hear Dark Tower maybe going to a tv show with Abrams behind it.

I agree that's it's impossible to put it on film. Too much in too little amount of time. But onto a TV series when they have upwards of 15 hours a season? I think we stand a much better chance of having it accurate. Afterall, how much budget are they really going to need? Most of the series will take place in desolate areas

Don't begrudge people because you read the books first, they don't begrudge you for it.

You have an odd way of regarding other people's opinions. Its as if anyone that disagrees with you is bitching, but if you disagree its because you're right - how is that so?

No. But I hate hearing tired complaints as I've stated above. I thought it was common knowledge that movies will be missing things the book had. I would be expecting that. I understand some things will be tweaked and altered for film/tv. No, unless they just go around changing key parts (my examples above hold), I'm not sure how anyone can use that complaint. Why? Because that isn't the movies fault (you forget studios have a lot of push when it comes to scenes getting cut for time, LOTR Extended's show that) because you expected certain things, parts of facts to be there. You read the book, you know them, fill in the blanks in your mind. If the movie is just plain crap (like dreamcatcher) then feel free to complain about whatever you want. But not liking a movie, for missing pieces from a book, is ridiculous to me - as a writer, reader, movie watcher and aspiring director - because that complaint stems from preconcieved notions and information and not the movies fault. Other people that read that very same book may feel the exact opposite of you. Those complaints are from you, your mind and not just because you read the book.

The Shining differs in many respects to it's source work but it's still a masterpiece.

Also, you mistook what I meant in that last thing you quoted. I say if other disagree it's because I'm right 'you should read R and G's post for this:

don't think it would ruin the books in any way. Nothing could do that. I jujst don't want to deal with what I dealt with after LotR came out as movies, which was the idiocy of hearing "i like the movies better" from people who never read the books until it was a movie. i dont begrudge them their incorrect opinions, but should i hear that about the DT, i may have to punch someone. i know it doesn't make it true, but it is nonetheless annoying.

I read this as someone who didn't start the books until I'd seen Fellowship of the Ring and I read them because I didn't want to wait to find out what happens. So my liking the movie's better, according to R and G, makes me an idiot with incorrect opinions who deserves to be punched. Don't talk to me about being funny with others opinions when I'm responding to this. He's upset at the movie because he read the books first. That was his first experience of Lord of the Rings and it will always be the more real one. Well, MY first experience was the movies. I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

movieman19
02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
My hopes would be for them to have a 7 part movie series, like what Harry Potter has done. However, it is so unrealistic for that to happen. I honestly never thought that series would last all 7 movies with the same cast but I'm about to stand corrected. It's not impossible for the movies to happen but it is highly unlikely considering it would, more than likely, be rated R. They could get by with a PG-13 in some novels though. But they also have to worry about the lengh too. A two hour movie would be fine with Gunslinger, but W&G? no way. WotC? proabably not. Thats why I think it would be better as a tv show than as a 7 part movie series. I'd rather have a more faithful adaptation than a half-assed one. I'd still watch it though:D

I was excited to learn that JJ Abrams bought the rights a while ago. If he waits untill Lost is over then it would be a perfect vehicle for him to continue with. And with the way his name sometimes carries fans....Cloverfield.....then I would love for him to do a tv show for TDT. It would be rather difficult for a network channel to work with though. I wouldn't think twice about paying for HBO or Showtime, or any other cable channel for this. Most of it could be done on ABC or whatever but there are a few parts where it would be inpossible and it would ruin it.

But just think of a 10 to 12, Abrams produced, episode season on HBO for each book. It would be simply astounding to watch.

jemaher
02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I would love a bigscreen movie like the harry potter series, but would be happy with a hbo miniseries approach. Im afraid that a network show would be too watered down.

Mist_on_the_Water
02-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I voted movies, and if they do the movies i think they should be done in the order of the books, without delving into Roland's past first as the comics have done. i think Wizard and Glass (or the movie equivalent of it) ought to be made in the movies as Roland talking to his ka-tet

that and if they end up like the HP movies, orribly innaccurate and leaving out the most important parts, I will promtply throw up...

Mist_on_the_Water
02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I also think that they ought to do a full seven movies, full length, so they have room for all of the bits and pieces that go into these book, much in the way Dreamcather was made, nice and long, but only long enough so it stays true to the book, y'know?

Jimmy
02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
You just got a new job and a new toy. Casting Agent for The Dark Tower series of films and a time machine. Who would you get for each role?

I figure this thread is different enough from the regular casting thread to exist on it's own. If the mods disagree, please accept my apology and merge on.

Roland : Clint Eastwood - 1971 (Dirty Harry)
Eddie : Johnny Depp - 1984 (Nightmare on Elm Street)
Susannah : Angela Bassett - 1991 (Boyz in the Hood)
Jake : Haley Joel Osment - 1999 (Sixth Sense)

sarah
02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Jimmy, this thread is fine on its own for now.

I like the dream idea of a cast from the past. It leaves no room for it actually happening except in your dreams. :lol:

btw, I love the Johnny Depp from 1984 being Eddie. I can totally see that.

Jimmy
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Jimmy, this thread is fine on its own for now.

I like the dream idea of a cast from the past. It leaves no room for it actually happening except in your dreams. :lol:

btw, I love the Johnny Depp from 1984 being Eddie. I can totally see that.

Cool thanks.

It also goes hand in hand with the series itself. Plucking people from random times to do jobs only they can do.

Storyslinger
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I can definitly see the Depp as Eddie

jayson
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
he'd be good. i'd also thought a young tim roth would have made a fine eddie.

Jimmy
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Roth as Gasher

jayson
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Roth as Gasher

interesting, interesting. i could see that. what's great about roth is he could play a lot of different roles. i could see the present tim roth as Richard Sayre as well.

kithereal
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I would like
Jake _ would be the kid who played Anakin Skywalker....

KIT

Matt
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I think part of the game is you have to post a pic of the person dated for the suggestion. :D

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Roland : John Wayne (Hello! It's John Wayne...)
http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/1/3/Celebrity-Image-John-Wayne--1943-134714.jpg
Eddie : Skeet Ulrich - Scream (1990s)
http://www.fortunecity.de/anlagen/garten/63/geili_geili_super-skeet.jpg
Susannah : Nichelle Nichols - 1969 (Star Trek The Original Series)
http://www.nndb.com/people/712/000023643/nichols.jpg
Jake : Jonathan Brandis - 1993 (Seaquest)
http://www.suicide.org/images/jonathan-brandis-5.jpg
Walter O'Dim: Christopher Walken
http://www.phillymag.com/blogs/philly/wp-content/uploads/Philly/0907DailyExaminer/ChristopherWalken.jpg

How about... these guys?

jayson
02-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Susannah : Nichelle Nichols - 1969 (Star Trek The Original Series)

I've got to admit, I never thought of that, and yet now it seems perfect. Nice one Liz!

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I couldn't think of ANYONE more perfect than her... *le sigh*

Daghain
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Chris Walken as Walter....yeah. :)

Darkthoughts
02-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Mattrick - I was trying to think how to word my response to you. I infinitely prefer books to films but was having trouble expressing why until I came across this quote from Stephen King; its in the preface to the revised edition of The Stand and encapsulates what I want to say to the word:

I am inevitably asked if it is ever going to be a movie. The answer, by the way, is probably yes. Will it be a good one? I don't know. Bad or good, movies nearly always have a diminishing effect on works of fantasy...But in the end, I think perhaps its best for Stu, Larry, Glen, Frannie, Ralph, Tom Cullen, Lloyd, and that dark fellow to belong to the reader, who will visualise them through the lens of imagination in a vivid and constantly changing way no camera can duplicate. Movies, after all, are only an illusion of motion comprised of thousands of still photographs. The imagination, however, moves with its own tidal flow. Films, even the best of them, freeze fiction - anyone who has ever seen One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and then reads Ken Kesey's novel will find it hard or impossible not to see Jack Nicholson's face on Randle Patrick Murphy. That is not necessarily bad...but it is limiting. The glory of a good tale is that it is limitless and fluid; a good tale belongs to each reader in its own particular way.

MonteGss
02-05-2008, 07:15 AM
That is a great quote Lisa, and is how I feel pretty much as well. We all know though that what we feel isn't correct....as I'm sure will be pointed out soon by another. :)

sarah
02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
well said Darkers, er um, I mean Stephen King. :lol:

Thanks for posting that.

sarah
02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Balthazar Getty as Jake

Lord of the flies

http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/%7Emovies/new/p_Getty.jpg

fernandito
02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Roland - Henry Fonda (Once Upon A Time In The West, 1968)
http://website.lineone.net/~braithwaitej/mainsite/overview/actors/fonda.jpg

Eddie - Ethan Hawke (Found this picture on google, not sure of the year)
http://www.blogdecine.com/images/Ethan%20hawke.jpg

Jake - Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense)

Susannah - (undecided)

Walter - Gary Oldman (Dracula, 1992)
http://ever-yours.net/vlad/main.png
-

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Its cool, isn't it! I love his forewords and afterwords almost as much as the stories themselves :D

jayson
02-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Its cool, isn't it! I love his forewords and afterwords almost as much as the stories themselves :D

sometimes i like them more. i'm being partly facetious, but i do love when king talks to us as king. he's often funnier there then when he thinks he's being funny in a story.

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
No, I know what you mean! And it always seems so personal, to you, the Constant Reader. No wonder so many people get irate when they discover he isn't a close personal friend of theirs really :lol:

Storyslinger
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
You mean he's not my friend.
"Damn!" :(

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Apart from you, Brian. You're special :P

Storyslinger
02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I knew I was.....wait....you were being sarcastic.
"Damn!"

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
:lol: :couple:

Storyslinger
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
:couple:

LadyHitchhiker
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Ooooh Henry Fonda.. I like that even better than John Wayne...

LadyHitchhiker
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
btw can Ethan Hawke do funny?

fernandito
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
There are other Dark Tower movie threads that deal with a hypothetical cast, but this thread is solely for discussing the enviroments, items, props, and other misc. happenings that we read of along the way.

Two things that I would love to see in great detail in a (hypothetical movie) are

-Roland's infallible reloading trick that's so avidly described in The Gunslinger
-The Fall of The Hounds, need I say more?

MonteGss
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
-Roland's infallible reloading trick that's so avidly described in The Gunslinger

This is something that I am curious to see as well feev. I also am really interested in seeing how a movie would portray his "supernatural speed" when drawing and firing his guns. Would the director depend on an actual "fast draw" or would he use camera tricks/CGI to showcase Roland's skill?

Nice thread!

jayson
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
-The Fall of The Hounds, need I say more?

A scene I have seen in my head so clearly but would love to see on film! Good call Fev! Another I'd love to see is the shoot-out at Balazar's.

Storyslinger
02-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I would really love a detailed showing of the Crimson Kings Court/Castle

jayson
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM

they should DEF consult Whelan on that one, his painting of the throne is phenomenal!

Storyslinger
02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Damn right. Hear, Hear!

jayson
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
any real attempt at visualizing it cinematically without a LOT of input from Mr. Whelan would be just wrong in my opinion. i know PJ consulted the two most known Tolkien artists when he did his film of LotR. I hope if DT is ever made, they use Whelan in the same way. his vision of Roland's world is such a key to my appreciation the series.

Storyslinger
02-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I think the man's actually been there....he's that good.

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm curious about how they would make a thinny look. Of course, Roland's shooting skills, Jake being pulled through to join the ka-tet, and the shoot out at Balazar's would be pretty cool to see.
There are so many things....

Storyslinger
02-18-2008, 09:17 AM
OY...I loved to see how he would get portrayed.

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
OY...I loved to see how he would get portrayed.

Yes!

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 09:39 AM
oooh, Todash space would be interesting

aurora
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Now this is an area of great interest to me since I work in the CG industry!

Would the director depend on an actual "fast draw" or would he use camera tricks/CGI to showcase Roland's skill?
Both! Theres a gazzilion variations on the 'Matrix' effect that would be the first area they would look at mainly one where they could show the real speed as well as the motion of that speed at the same time and it would be oh so cool!

Actually I'm hoping that 'if' and right now thats a HUGE if, a movie were to be made that it would almost entirely 'The Gunslinger' to start with, pure and plain straight from the book. If that were successful then move on to other areas of the story!

Having said that location is everything and the perfect locations would probably be in Australia. You have the perfect vast empty deserts, the mountains, and the sea all in one area which are perfect for shooting 'The Gunslinger'

The under the mountain shots with with Roland and Jake would be a combo of set and cg. but the slow muties HAVE to be live actors blended with either incredible make up or cg, preferably makeup, else the glow that they would undoubtedly add would be to distracting from reality.

The oracle scene in the stone circle would relie on mocapped data with cg for the demon and should expand on this scene to help carry it out through other stories if they should ever come to play.

The palaver with Walter at the end should open the vista into the Dark Tower mythros a bit more though and use a fluid mixture of live shots and cg.

Style wise, there are 4 basic options.
1 - pure cg animation in the style of say Ghost in the Machine and Appleseed
2 - pure cg animation in the style of Beowulf and Final Fantasy
3 - Stylized live action such as Sky Captain, Sin city, and more importantly 300 and/or Pans Labyrinth.
4 - Lived action with PR-CG such as the LOTR series.

My hope is that they would go with option 3 looking for a style that works for the entire series showing off the speed of Roland, Todash space, thinnies, Taheen, Can-toi, ect in a supernatural yet realistic manner.

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Bumpity bump bump

The Man With No Name
02-22-2008, 03:30 AM
For the Gunslinger, I would like most of it to be filmed with the same kind of panoramic cameras used to film the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns. I would like to use as much real scenery as possible. Perhaps a cautious mix between real scenery and digital special effects only when needed. Then make it kind of gritty.

I would like a Ennio Morricone-like movie score.

aurora
02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
My vote is for live action seven movies But its not impossible to combine V and VI together. For me the movie would need some type of stylizing but something that complements the story and not distract from it meaning it would be slight but additive.

If only one were ever to be made I'd hope it would be 'The Gunslinger' While 'Wizard and Glass' was my fav book, 'The Gunslinger' would make the best standalone best movie which describes the whole series. However if 'Wizard and Glass' were the only one done it should be taken from 'The Gunslinger Born'! Most importantly subtracting out the forward scenes of Rolands Ka-tet being told the story.

Woofer
02-23-2008, 09:40 AM

they should DEF consult Whelan on that one, his painting of the throne is phenomenal!

I have a large print of that picture (36"x48") that goes on my work door at Halloween. Except last year. I had a new roomie, Lovecraft Lady, and we did a door together.

Ka-tet
02-24-2008, 03:30 AM
I belive that when the make a DT movie(or TV adaption) there going to rip it apart like so many other book to film adaptions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_%28series%29

4.3 Film adaption

Storyslinger
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm so jealous of you now.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM

That would rock in a deep and profound way. Only thing is, I'm guessing is that Le Casse Roi Russe would be hard to map because of it possibly not always being the same.

fernandito
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Can Ka No Rey!

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Are you having a Tourettes Syndrome moment Fever?

fernandito
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately. :)

No but seriously folks, I bet that the sight of Can Ka No Rey on a big screen will send chills up the spines of all DT fans.

jayson
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
i agree fev, it's prob the most important place to get right for whoever directs it, and again i suggest they consult michael whelan

Erin
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Ooooo it so will. A nice big, wide shot of a field of bright red roses with the tower in the middle and the sun setting in the background.

Just picturing it gave me chills.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Ooooo it so will. A nice big, wide shot of a field of bright red roses with the tower in the middle and the sun setting in the background.

Just picturing it gave me chills.

What? Picturing Le Casse Roi Russe doesn't give you chills too?

Erin
02-26-2008, 02:21 AM
:lol: It gave me chills....of a different kind.

blake316
02-26-2008, 04:23 AM
I would love the soundtrack to be similar to the one Neil Young made for 'Dead Man'. Cool film but the music is amazing.

jayson
02-26-2008, 04:28 AM
i'd have the soundtrack done by either Marc Ribot or Bill Frisell though I suspect only Frunobulax may know who I am talking about. Both are great experimental guitarists who have done extensive scoring and soundtrack work, a lot of which I have listened to reading the series and it works PERFECTLY. either or both could create a masterful score for the series.

MonteGss
02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
:lol: It gave me chills....of a different kind.

There is another thing we agree on Erin. ;) :lol:

Armand St Pierre
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd be interested to see them get NY (in all it's different whens) right. I mean, there's SO many ways you can do NY, but I certainly had a particular version of it painted for me in all of the books.

Doing Shardik the right way is probably going to be pretty tricky too.

The Calla and all that rice.....picture Mexico crossed with China....where do you film that?

jayson
02-27-2008, 12:27 PM
since we have a time machine for this casting call... how about a young Matt Dillon as Eddie. he has the look, the attitude, and, an extra bonus, he can actually ACT!

fernandito
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm liking that Matt Dillon idea the more and more I think about it. :thumbsup:

jayson
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
too bad we don't have a working time machine... somebody with some tech skills get on that please!

sarah
02-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Edward Norton (from Primal Fear) as Eddie

Brice
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
ABSO-FUCKIN'-LUTELY!!!! :thumbsup:

blake316
02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Christian Slater - (True Romance) as Eddie, Matt Dillons a great shout though

MonteGss
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Yikes! I can see Matt Dillon for sure but nothing about Christian Slater comes across as Eddie to me.

blake316
02-29-2008, 01:54 AM
I see your point but in True Romance I think there are various similarities between the two characters.

blake316
02-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Slater FROM TRUE ROMANCE, would not be my first choice, it was just an idea that no one had put forward. In True Romance the character is in way over his head, yet he never faulters, never shows any fear - why? Because of his love for a woman. He played the role well.

Its Eddies love for Susannah that replaces his need for heroin, its his love for her that gives him strength and makes him fearless. Maybe its just me but I see a lot of parallels between the two characters.

RUBE
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I am not sure about the Calla but the desert scenes should be filmed in New Mexico and west Texas (see No Country for Old Men). We just visited Carlsbad to see the caves and I noticed there is a lot of wide open land there where it is hard to see signs of human life.

Ironically, Carlsbad made me think of It because, like Derry, there is a big canal that runs through the town and one of the roads there is called "Standpipe Rd." I also noticed a street with the name "Tower."

sarah
03-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Like Erin said, The Tower in a field of roses and the look on Roland's face when he first sees it.

The Man With No Name
03-07-2008, 01:02 PM
For "The Gunslinger" movie I would like for it to be filmed in an actual desert. Something about having to wait for the perfect time to film it appeals to the old school in me. I would want it filmed very panoramic and using the same kind of cameras used to film the Leone spaghetti westerns. I'd want it to have a gritty, element to it. Maybe have some props of ruins and such half buried in the sun baked sand to convey that the 'world has moved on'.

Of course I'd want the film to be as organic as possible, but use CGI/special effects when needed i.e. the confrontation between Roland & the Man In Black.

I would hire the group Secret Chiefs 3 to score the movie. They have the talent to create something that would fit very well with this first movie.

MonteGss
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Like Erin said, The Tower in a field of roses and the look on Roland's face when he first sees it.

It would be pretty damned cool to see the part when Roland sees the Rose for the first time too. When he falls to his knees before it. The director would need to do a bit of CGI to show the swirling suns within the Rose though but DAMN would that be a sight to see! :)

nusik
03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
hi, im new. i would like to see Jake being pulled into Mid-World. them running, jumping and falling, Eddie grasping the gunslinger's hair. it would be crazy to see

Matt
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey nusik--welcome to the site :rock:

I would love to see that part as well, its one of my favorite moments from the books.

fernandito
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
...Eddie grasping the gunslinger's hair. it would be crazy to see

You mean that section in Drawing of the Three? The knife bit?

Matt
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
I think he may have meant the door in the ring of stones. Wasn't Eddie the one that had to ultimately pull Roland back through by the hair?

fernandito
03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I think he may have meant the door in the ring of stones. Wasn't Eddie the one that had to ultimately pull Roland back through by the hair?

To be honest, I don't really remember that part all that well so you could be right, Matt. But doesn't he also grip Roland's hair when he puts the knife to his throat?

Matt
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
He does indeed, Eddie couldn't keep his hands off Roland. :lol:

Girlystevedave
03-25-2008, 02:39 PM
He does indeed, Eddie couldn't keep his hands off Roland. :lol:

Considering how many times Roland got laid in the series....who could?

Matt
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Not me!

<--total man crush. :rock:

fernandito
03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Roland is so good, even demon oracles want a piece of him.

(rimshot)

Girlystevedave
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Roland is so good, even demon oracles want a piece of him.

(rimshot)

OOh!:cyclops: Damn!

fernandito
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
His milkshake brings all the oracles to the yard. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic - I also want to see Roland through the Andolini's eyes once Eddie pulls him through the door; A tall, deathly pale figure with a feverish look in his eyes.

asamorris
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
the vision that roland has during walters palaver.

oh, and the lobstrosities. just not done like in "the mist". the cg in that sucked. it took a lot away from the movie for me.

Erin
03-27-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm excited to see just how they do the scenes in The Drawing of the Three with Roland being in Eddie's head and how they communicate between themselves. I think with the right editing and smoothness, this scene could be really amazing.

fernandito
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
That's a good one, Erin.

I wonder if that whole story of how the Oriza blades came to be used will be shown on screen or if it will remain only as something spoken between them.

Unfound One
03-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Hmm... I'm interested to see how they would portray the beam. I'm thinking specifically of how the clouds follow it, how pine needles point toward it, etc.
I have a image in my head but I think seeing it on the big screen would be marvelous!

Mark
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
CHARYOU TREE!

I'd also like to see the fightin WAG toward the end with Jonas. And Eddie getting shot in the head.

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
^That is a spoiler that should be marked. This isn't a spoiler thread. :)

Erin
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Monte! I went ahead and added the spoiler tag. :wub:

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
:cool:
Thanks Super-Star. You're hot...er, I mean, you're the best. ;) :wub:

Mark
03-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Oh right, sorry guys, wont happen again!
I'd also like to see how the tower is acutally portrayed. I've seen numerous different illistrations (sic)

Unfound One
03-30-2008, 10:37 AM
And Eddie getting shot in the head.

:( - I don't want to see that...

Mark
03-31-2008, 03:31 AM
A fan of Eddie then? I only want to see it becausei think if they filmed it right, like, in a first person view from the guy on the floor, (his name escapes me), then Eddie being shot, then it all going into slow motion, then everything but the music that plays is silent and they do the same sort of thing that they did in Harry Potter: OotP, with Sussanah shouting but you can't hear her and her running/crawling/wheeling/trikin' over to him. I think i'd be a pretty emotional scene, if done right.

Unfound One
03-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Oh definitely, extremely emotional.
But sad, nonetheless.
(you might want to add spoiler tags again up there^)

MonteGss
03-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Yes, please watch your spoilers. This is not a spoiler thread. There are people here that have not finished the series. Please review posting guidelines with questions.

Erin
03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Mark...I added spoiler tags to your post.

But I totally agree with what you said. I think that would be the perfect way to film that scene.

Erin
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh and I just thought of something. How do you think the filmmakers would handle the scene in which:

Susannah gets it on with the speaking circle demon? :lol:

Wuducynn
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Or how they would do the scene in Little Sisters of Eluria where the Little Sisters jack off Roland for his semen, because they can't drink his blood

Crandyman
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
For me, I would REALLY be psyched to see a version of Lud.

Oh and I just thought of something. How do you think the filmmakers would handle the scene in which:

Susannah gets it on with the speaking circle demon? :lol:

And Erin...
Well, I for one am not ashamed of my demon-sex fetish so I would make it devilishly graphic. :)

Jack Lee
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
What about the shoot-out at the genral store in Maine, and the meeting of Cullum. And of course anytime a door is used, either type.

fernandito
04-27-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't remember the exact wording, but Roland says that it was pretty obvious that something was going on between Marten and his mother because of the way they were dancing - I would like to see that emphasized.

Brice
05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Here is that scene feve:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/dancing460.jpg

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Here is that scene feve:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/dancing460.jpg

Ummmmm no.

Unfound One
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Girlystevedave
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh man! That made me laugh just like I needed today.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fernandito
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
If I get the urge to start singing "I've had the time of my life" while watching the DT movie, I'm going to decapitate Brice.

Rolands_Father
05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok. I know if a DT movie came to theaters, some of us would rush out to see it right away, and some of us would remain glued to the books, refusing for a crappy tv miniseries or a horrid film to destroy our favorite series.
But imagine for a moment Sk somehow got a top notch filmaker on the job. If this were the case, And everything was done PERFECTLY, i think at least one of the seven posible films would have a shot at Best Picture. If I were to guess, I would bet on wizard and glass.
What films do you think would have the greatist chance to win (if they were done right!) and why?

jayson
05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
i'm still against the concept of a movie(s) being made, but it's a good hypothetical question so i will answer... i agree the W&G is prob the one that could do it because, imo, it is the most self-contained story. also it's a western, and all good people love westerns.