PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Of The Dark Tower!!

RolandOfEld
08-22-2009, 01:53 AM
MY FIRST POST!!

What are your favorite weapons of the books, and why?

Ill start off with the HORN OF ELD, not a weapon in the traditional sense, but shows the variety of "Weapons" we can use here..

It was a rallying horn, it was a calling of the soul to the gunslingers of Gilead, Striking fear into they're enemies.. Keeping the peace

alinda
08-22-2009, 06:47 AM
I liked the Orizza plates myself.:)

PS Welcom Rolandof Eld

Cort
08-22-2009, 07:10 AM
The faith Father Callahan showed in the Dixie pig turned out to be a pretty good one.:onfire:

RolandOfEld
08-22-2009, 12:24 PM
NICE ANSWERS SO FAR, I WAS THINKING OF BOTH OF THEM!!!!!

Merlin1958
08-22-2009, 03:54 PM
The Guns of course!!!!!!!

:shoot::shoot::shoot:

ola
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm torn. Roland's guns are up there obviously, but I'm going to have to say 'Rizas are my favorite. It's a very original weapon and would scare the heck out of me if someone were attacking me with them, I wouldn't know where they were coming from at all.

Is there an historical inspiration for Orizas?

RolandOfEld
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
GREAT QUESTION!
Im not sure... they were described almost as plates rather than rings, but i know many cultures used throwing rings, here is one
http://www.flight-toys.com/rings/chackrum.html

ill check for plates

RolandOfEld
08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
some one should put up the rizas in the towerpedia, who does that?

Jean
08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Oriza plates always remind me of shuriken

http://www.completemartialarts.com/information/weapons/images/shuriken.gif

alinda
08-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Of course! Or just some crazy throwing a tantrum in the kitchen. :lol:

mia/susannah
08-23-2009, 06:43 AM
The orizza plates are my favorite weapon.

ola
08-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Shiruken were also the first thing that came up in searches for similar throwing weapons.

BUT I also just found out about a Sikh weapon called the Chakram. While I'm not sure if it had any influence on the origin of 'Rizas, they are the most similar pre-exsisting weapon imo:

"The chakram, sometimes called a war quoit, is a flat metal disc with a sharp outer edge from 5–12 inches (130–300 mm) in diameter used as a weapon by the Sikh people. Unlike wind and fire wheels, which are larger and used as melee weapons only, the chakram was designed to be thrown."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakram

It's more like a ring than a plate, but they don't have spikes and they're about plate-size vs. the shiruken which I think are smaller.

Plus...Xena had em!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/6/9262454_23f5a2e44b.jpg?v=0

alinda
08-23-2009, 09:16 AM
The one thing that bothers me about circular sharp edged weapons
is this...one would need to be awefully carefull it seems to me that they did'nt cut their hands holding /throwing them.:orely:

TheCrisisKing
08-23-2009, 11:54 AM
The colts

RolandOfEld
08-23-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.flight-toys.com/rings/art/chackrumall.gif

the Chakram

lead dealer
08-24-2009, 04:40 AM
So many guns, so little time....

Than there are the homicidal robots....

batsker
08-24-2009, 12:48 PM
I liked that King brought the sneeches from Harry Potter into the story. Using them as weapons is a good idea, imo.

ola
08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I liked that King brought the sneeches from Harry Potter into the story. Using them as weapons is a good idea, imo.

The sneetches never seemed to fit for me in the series like the Orizas, bahs, etc. did. I guess the fact that they were from Harry Potter was almost too distracting.

They made very effective, terrifying weapons however...can't argue with that!

Letti
08-24-2009, 11:11 PM
not a typical weapon.. but the skölpadda
so tiny and innocent still so powerful

alinda
08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
:thumbsup:that's very true Letti ...so smart!

lead dealer
08-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Think of the sneeches as more of a guided missile, rather than a crossover from another series. Makes more scence that way... Not a far leap from the weaponry we have currently...

ola
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Think of the sneeches as more of a guided missile, rather than a crossover from another series. Makes more scence that way... Not a far leap from the weaponry we have currently...

Yeah I guess the Golden Snitch didn't explode Quidditch players.

MPatrick
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
The big ones with the sandalwood grips :shoot:

Letti
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Yeah I guess the Golden Snitch didn't explode Quidditch players.

Yep. Sadly.

;)

Brice
08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
a gunslinger's mind :)

RolandOfEld
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM
not a typical weapon.. but the skölpadda
so tiny and innocent still so powerful Yeah!

A

YEP!! Disipline and training..

RolandOfEld
08-28-2009, 10:20 PM
OK how ABOUT DAVID! great weapon choice

ola
08-30-2009, 12:52 AM

The weapon that officially made Roland a gunslinger, yeah!

I have a feeling he could have pulled it off with something else, though - or maybe I just wish David didn't have to get mangled for the sake of him winning. Do you think Roland could have bested Cort otherwise? It seems like he was so quick to sacrifice a friend for the sake of getting back at Marten, when maybe he could have just used his guns instead.

Jean
08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a feeling he could have pulled it off with something else, though - or maybe I just wish David didn't have to get mangled for the sake of him winning. Do you think Roland could have bested Cort otherwise? It seems like he was so quick to sacrifice a friend for the sake of getting back at Marten, when maybe he could have just used his guns instead.
Symbolic, wasn't it? Maybe the answer is no, he couldn't have beaten Cort otherwise. The sacrifice was what it took. It was a manifestation of such dark abysses of his soul even Cort with all his skill and experience was unable to fight.

blaine
08-30-2009, 11:20 AM
my favourite is probably maturin the turtle , the little statuette that makes people look at it.

and i've just done a little reading on the origins of SK's naming of the turtle and its named after steven maturin from the patrick o'brien books which gave us the the film 'master and commander'. one of my favourite films! so if thats not 19 i don't know what is ;-)

birdandbear
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Jake's Ruger. :excited:
otherwise the most powerful weapon, Ka.

Letti
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

The weapon that officially made Roland a gunslinger, yeah!

No, I don't think so. David was the key. And Roland was ready to be a true gunslinger because he could see this key. I always felt he deserved it.

ola
09-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Being a gunslinger isn't just about skill at shooting, that's for sure.

You could say that a big part of it is a certain heartlessness, to be able to see even the people around you as tools or weapons towards a greater cause - to be able to sacrifice the right thing at the right time without succumbing to emotional attachment. (I.E. seeing things with "gunslinger's eyes.") Maybe a decent description of a gunslinger's temperament would be 'ruthlessness and skill, bound by a code of honor.'

...one of my favorite things about the series is the gunslinger tradition. It's part zen, part chivalry, part vigilante.

Letti
09-19-2009, 10:32 PM
...one of my favorite things about the series is the gunslinger tradition. It's part zen, part chivalry, part vigilante.

If only we knew more about it.

Ka-Shume
09-22-2009, 02:00 AM
The gun that Susannah gets from the military crates in The Dark Tower is pretty sweet, and her three wheeler if that counts.

The wolves' lightsabers are really cool too.

And lets not forget Cuthbert's slingshot in Wizard and Glass.

ola
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM

If only we knew more about it.

I would reeeeally like more books set in/around Gilead before it fell. Something I know I'll never get, however, so I'll just settle for the bits and pieces. :(

krisagon
08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
The sneetches never seemed to fit for me in the series like the Orizas, bahs, etc. did. I guess the fact that they were from Harry Potter was almost too distracting.

They made very effective, terrifying weapons however...can't argue with that!

Agreed 100%... I wasn't really into the HARRY POTTER MODEL thing either. Honestly, I kind of wished that the Wolves weren't Dr Doom carrying lightsabers either.

Two very small gripes with the series, the rest of it was outstanding.

Brainslinger
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
and i've just done a little reading on the origins of SK's naming of the turtle and its named after steven maturin from the patrick o'brien books which gave us the the film 'master and commander'.

Really? If you read that, fair enough, but I would have thought it was different. I was wondering about the origins of the Turtle just the other day(Hindu I believe) and I thought it curious that the giant world turtle from the Discworld books and the Turtle guardian from the Dark Tower books have such similar sounding names...

Atuin and Maturin.

It got me thinking that the two authors must have gotten the name from the same mythology. On the other hands maybe this be just a coincidence? Or is this ka at work in the real world? (Da, da, DAAAAAAA!)

A bit of research methinks.

As for favourite weapons.. yeah I suppose I'm going to be boring and go for the revolvers. I did think the pistols they got from the crates in the last book were pretty cool though. I never quite understood why they never seemed to keep hold of the guns they picked up in the latter books. In the course of the last book Susannah had a Walther PPK (I think) and another pistol.. which seemed to mysteriously vanish into todash space (as far as we know...)

lead dealer
08-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Praise the man Jesus!

A dark tower weaponry thread has resurfaced!!:shoot:

LovesSweetExile
08-27-2010, 06:30 AM
The lightswords, bollocks to Star Wars, in WOTC their actually quite terrible weapons, when you think of lightsabers you think...meh, but the wolves lightswords, damn their horrible, not only do they cut you up, they even set you on fire after ! not even Vader could do that !

Also, I wouldn't want that mechanical rat chasing after me either !