PDA

View Full Version : BMCOAT - Round 1, Group I

fernandito
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Henry II (The Lion in Winter)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/Henry_II.JPG

Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/captain-jack-sparrow.jpg

Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/hannibal-lecter-hopkinsopt.jpg

Dracula (Dracula - 1931)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/image2135155g.jpg

Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/scarlett2.jpg

John (The Lion in Winter)
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/nigelterry.jpg

Vito Corleone (The Godfather)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/don-vito-corleone-the-godfather-pos.jpg

Margot Tenenbaum (The Royal Tenenbaums)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BMCOAT/margo.jpg

Woofer
08-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Just making sure we show the right character image:

Here is Nigel Terry as John in The Lion in Winter.
http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes-77/lioninwinter422.jpeg

And with Geoffrey.
http://www.videodetective.net/photos/042/001771_31.jpg

fernandito
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Cool, I'll use the first image. Thanks Woofer :)

Woofer
08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
You're very welcome. :couple: Thanks for doing this!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Hannibal Lecter was so convincing, that for a long time I thought that Silence of the Lambs was based on a true story.

IWasSentWest
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
vito

Jean
08-17-2009, 09:12 PM

And with Geoffrey.

Neither of them is Henry II, though, who seems to be the first option.

Melike
08-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Damn. Dracula. Lecter.
:panic:
Lecter.

Brice
08-18-2009, 03:22 AM
I had the same dilemma, Melikey.

I chose Dracula though.

Melike
08-18-2009, 04:03 AM
I had the same dilemma, Melikey.

I chose Dracula though.

:wtf: We balance each other. :D

Brice
08-18-2009, 04:53 AM
:D Yup! :couple:

Woofer
08-18-2009, 05:06 AM

And with Geoffrey.

Neither of them is Henry II, though, who seems to be the first option.

I sent a message, too. Poor John. Clearly he's so disliked that if he were to go up in flames there's not a living soul that would pee on him to put him out.

Jean
08-18-2009, 06:08 AM
bears are definitely going to vote for Henry, only they must be sure they're voting for whom they're voting

But if Henry wasn't there, bears would have voted John

cozener
08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I voted Lecter...but Vito came damn close. If Sonny or Michael Corleone had been one of the choices I would have picked one of them.

turtlex
08-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Seriously? Jack Sparrow has more than Scarlett O'Hara?!? Really?!?

Odetta
08-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again.

Heather19
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Dracula :)

Sorry Woofer, my apologies, the picture mistake was my fault. I was having a hard time finding the correct picture and since I've never seen the movie I wasn't entirely sure I found the right character. I'll let Feev know. The original Henry picture was correct though, wasn't it?

Woofer
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Absolutely! Any time you guys need help on those things, feel free to ask. If I am here and free, then I'm usually happy to help.

Still Servant
08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
How did Margot Tenenbaum get in this tourney?

I sure hope we didn't leave out other deserving characters for her.

Woofer
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Which characters did you nominate?

cozener
08-19-2009, 04:34 AM

Whats killing me is that James Bond is not on any of these lists.

Woofer
08-19-2009, 04:39 AM
But nobody nominated him. We had tons of time to nominate and everybody was allowed to nominate. There are many characters I love, but don't consider "great" and so didn't nominate them.

If these people aren't on the lists, then they didn't strike as deep of a chord with folks in general as we think and/or assume they do.

As I explain to Mr. Woofer
In a completely unscientific manner and based solely on the feelings of the members of The Dark Tower.com who were a) aware of this contest and b) cared enough to vote, the best Stephen King novel of all time is _____.

turtlex
08-19-2009, 05:01 AM
My description is a little less technical...

The nominations and votes are by movie lovers, not film critics.

cozener
08-19-2009, 05:20 AM
But he was nominated!

Brice
08-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Yes, that's right! I believe he was.

cozener
08-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Odetta nominated him (and she's earned cool chick points for doing so, btw)
119. James Bond (from too many movies to list)
120. Frodo (LotR)

James Bond movies have been going for nearly 50 years and are still going strong. I'm not a Bond freak but one cannot deny his staying power. He's also universally recognized. You have to go a pretty fuckin' far way to meet someone that hasn't heard of him...like the unexplored jungles of the Amazon or something. I'd vote for him as the greatest movie character for these two reason alone. But I also view him as the ultimate "guy" hero. He's everything a guy would like to be.

This, though, is probably the best argument for his not being #1. The appeal of Bond movies is, more or less, limited to men. Number one really should be someone that appeals to both. But even women, at the very least, know who Bond is. He's archetypal.

fernandito
08-19-2009, 06:11 AM

Couldn't have put it better myself.

cozener
08-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure what film critics have to do with James Bond not appearing on these lists. I suggest you correct this egregious error before MI6 catches wind of this effrontery and sanctions your "liquidation". :scared:

turtlex
08-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Coz - Feev has more polls still to be put up, I believe!

fernandito
08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Correct! James Bond is in group K , I believe.

Woofer
08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
But nobody nominated him. We had tons of time to nominate and everybody was allowed to nominate. There are many characters I love, but don't consider "great" and so didn't nominate them.

If these people aren't on the lists, then they didn't strike as deep of a chord with folks in general as we think and/or assume they do.

As I explain to Mr. Woofer
In a completely unscientific manner and based solely on the feelings of the members of The Dark Tower.com who were a) aware of this contest and b) cared enough to vote, the best Stephen King novel of all time is _____.

My description is a little less technical...

But he was nominated!

120. Frodo (LotR)

James Bond movies have been going for nearly 50 years and are still going strong. I'm not a Bond freak but one cannot deny his staying power. He's also universally recognized. You have to go a pretty fuckin' far way to meet someone that hasn't heard of him...like the unexplored jungles of the Amazon or something. I'd vote for him as the greatest movie character for these two reason alone. But I also view him as the ultimate "guy" hero. He's everything a guy would like to be.

This, though, is probably the best argument for his not being #1. The appeal of Bond movies is, more or less, limited to men. Number one really should be someone that appeals to both. But even women, at the very least, know who Bond is. He's archetypal.

Coz - Feev has more polls still to be put up, I believe!

Correct! James Bond is in group K , I believe.

My apologies, Coz. I thought you had checked all the lists and found him missing. (Btw, I like Bond though I like some Bonds more than others.)

I seem to be batting 1000 today (as they say in baseball).

Odetta
08-19-2009, 08:06 AM
120. Frodo (LotR)

:harrier:

candy
08-19-2009, 09:08 AM
well i am relly struggling with this one. i have been in each night since the thread started, and i am all jack sparrow? good character (made me laugh and tastey to look at)
hanibal - fantastic character,
and dracula, the best character ever - with many a copy cat.
nope going to have to think about it another night?//?//

i never cared for scarlett as a character, she was very spoilt and needed a slap:unsure:

Woofer
08-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Henry II (The Lion in Winter)
http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes2/lioninwinter19.jpeg"I found out the way your mind works and the kind of man you are. I know your plans and expectations - you've burbled every bit of strategy you've got. I know exactly what you will do, and exactly what you won't, and I've told you exactly nothing. To these aged eyes, boy, that's what winning looks like!"

"Geoffrey. There's a masterpiece. He isn't flesh: he's a device. He's wheels and gears. And Johnny... Was his latest treason your idea? I've caught him lying, and I've said, 'He's young.' I've found him cheating, and I've said, 'He's just a boy.' I've watched him steal and whore and whip his servants, and he's not a child; he's the man we made him."

Girlystevedave
08-19-2009, 08:21 PM

I almost voted for her, but chose Jack Sparrow instead.
My reasoning: Jack Sparrow is a jerk and makes me laugh.
Scarlett is just a jerk bitch. :lol:
And I agree with Candy...she was in need of a good slapping.

But, for the record..I do love Gone With the Wind anyway.

candy
08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
finally went for hannibal.

just a fantastic character
cpt jack a very close second

cozener
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah I don't really get the love for Scarlett. Its no wonder Rett left her spoiled, bitchy ass.

sarajean
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
um, i nominated margot, i'm pretty sure, and i stand by it.

her character is fucking phenomenal.

so, yeah. that's how i voted.

turtlex
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah I don't really get the love for Scarlett. Its no wonder Rett left her spoiled, bitchy ass.

Coz, you have got to be kidding? Scarlett O'Hara is one of the most evolved in all of film. Her character comes full circle. Have you seen GWTW? By the end when he leaves, she's no longer a spoiled brat. That's the irony. She's finally realized her love for him. It's sad, and triumphant at the same time.

She's very cool, without a doubt.

flaggwalkstheline
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Coz, you have got to be kidding? Scarlett O'Hara is one of the most evolved in all of film. Her character comes full circle. Have you seen GWTW? By the end when he leaves, she's no longer a spoiled brat. That's the irony. She's finally realized her love for him. It's sad, and triumphant at the same time.

She's very cool, without a doubt.

Scarlet O'hara needed to find a man like Hannibal Lecter :rock:

Still Servant
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM

None.

Unfortunately, I always seem to miss that portion of these tourneys. I'm not bashing the people who nominated her. I like the Royal Tenenbaums, I just don't think she's a very memorable character.

For example, I'm not sure if he's in the tourney or not, but Terry Malloy (Brando's character from On The Waterfront) is a way better and more important character to cinema than Margot Tenenbaum.

I'm just saying.

Woofer
08-20-2009, 08:41 PM

None.

Unfortunately, I always seem to miss that portion of these tourneys. I'm not bashing the people who nominated her. I like the Royal Tenenbaums, I just don't think she's a very memorable character.

For example, I'm not sure if he's in the tourney or not, but Terry Malloy (Brando's character from On The Waterfront) is a way better and more important character to cinema than Margot Tenenbaum.

I'm just saying.

I understand what you're saying, but BMCOAT really is an opinion vote (or series). I would never consider any Brando character because I think he hams up his roles too much for my taste. The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

Curiously, I have been surprised by some of my own votes. :orely:

BTW: There are Bonds who would get my vote and Bonds who would not.

rosie real
08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
<snip>

The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

<snip>

the bear is most correct in this assessment.
i find that character deplorable, that movie despicable, and i despise that book.

Woofer
08-21-2009, 03:46 AM
<snip>

The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

<snip>

the bear is most correct in this assessment.
i find that character deplorable, that movie despicable, and i despise that book.

I still love you both anyway. :grouphug:

pathoftheturtle
08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Hardest group yet, but I finally voted for Henry.

BTW, I still think that "The Lion in the Winter" doesn't sound as good.

Darkmaniscoming
08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I guess the actor(s) and the actual film isn't really the point here..it's the character right?

cause man... deniro and brando??? Hello?

You all sleep with the fishes if Vito doesn't win.....
I see hannibal being a top character, but i think deniro would kill hopkins in a street brawl LOL

Merlin1958
08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Lecter with Jack Sparrow a close second

Woulda gone with Mike Corleone not Vito although both were fantastic