PDA

View Full Version : The Right Profile: Discussion of Actors & Their Craft

turtlex
08-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Yea... eventually I'm gonna sneak out of here quietly before I get flamed to bloody hell...but first, I have to comment - you so knew I would. :P

I just don't get the whole Bale thing. He's not that great an actor. He has his moments, but honestly, for every good movie he's done - he's done one equally as bad.

The DK voice was rediculous. It was stupid... Dude?!? You're in a mask. I would love to know who's idea that was. I am willing to bet it was not Nolan's. It comes off as completely cheesy to me.

And how can DK belong to anyone except Ledger. He steals every scene he's in.

Isn't saying Bale is the best Batman like saying ... never mind. We haven't exactly had a plethora of "good" Batm...Batmen :lol: to compare him with.

The Machinist - Meh. Weight loss. Wow. Gee.
The Prestige - Oh My ... I thought it was just so boring.

People... wanna see bad? He's got a list... Laurel Canyon. Captain Corelli's Mandolin. ( sorry sweetie ) the remake of Little Women. Reign of Fire. ???

Honestly, he sorta peaked with Newsies! :panic: :lol:

Okay, I'm out on the Bale thing now. I know you all love him, so I'm bowing out.

:huglove:

Yea... my movie snobbery is definitely showing.

candy
08-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Yea... eventually I'm gonna sneak out of here quietly before I get flamed to bloody hell...but first, I have to comment - you so knew I would. :P

I just don't get the whole Bale thing. He's not that great an actor. He has his moments, but honestly, for every good movie he's done - he's done one equally as bad.

The DK voice was rediculous. It was stupid... Dude?!? You're in a mask. I would love to know who's idea that was. I am willing to bet it was not Nolan's. It comes off as completely cheesy to me.

And how can DK belong to anyone except Ledger. He steals every scene he's in.

Isn't saying Bale is the best Batman like saying ... never mind. We haven't exactly had a plethora of "good" Batm...Batmen :lol: to compare him with.

The Machinist - Meh. Weight loss. Wow. Gee.
The Prestige - Oh My ... I thought it was just so boring.

People... wanna see bad? He's got a list... Laurel Canyon. Captain Corelli's Mandolin. ( sorry sweetie ) the remake of Little Women. Reign of Fire. ???

Honestly, he sorta peaked with Newsies! :panic: :lol:

Okay, I'm out on the Bale thing now. I know you all love him, so I'm bowing out.

:huglove:

Yea... my movie snobbery is definitely showing.

:rofl:i love you for your sno:couple:bbery

Woofer
08-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Exactly. Val Kilmer? George Clooney? Michael Keaton? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm not a Bale fanatic and I don't know who I would've chosen had I been in charge of casting, but I do think that he makes a better Batman and a better Bruce Wayne than anyone we've seen since ever.

IMO, since Batman doesn't have any "powers" and relies only on just training and gadgets, getting the actor right is critical. I agree about the voice issue, as I already mentioned, and while he wears a mask, it's just not enough of a disguise. I think he should mask his voice using a highly sophisticated digital voice synthesizer manufactured by the Wayne corporation and built into his suit.

And while HL stole the movie with his performance, other people and aspects were great as well. (ETA: Damn, I posted while not finished. I blame Mr. Woofer.) In fact, HL's performance alone being great would be less so were the others not complimentary. I think that the intricate plot also added to this. As a fan of a lot of bad movies, I can confidently state that a single performance, no matter how great, is rarely enough to save a movie. (Not to say that HL wasn't awesome. Srsly, Jack Nicholson should be fucking jealous. Jesus.) A diamond in a pile of shit is still in a pile of shit, and The Dark Knight was far from shit.

:huglove: :couple: :rose:

Brice
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Even if they were though, Heath made them all look mediocre in comparison. :D

candy
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
i have a hard hat on when i say this but
while HL was good, i dont get all the raves bout him in DK, and i feel that had he not died the reviews would not be as raving.

ok that me running out behind Pam

Woofer
08-09-2009, 09:32 AM
i have a hard hat on when i say this but
while HL was good, i dont get all the raves bout him in DK, and i feel that had he not died the reviews would not be as raving.

ok that me running out behind Pam

I agree with the second part of your spoiler comment.

turtlex
08-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Okay, I gotta pop back in... on account of it being about Heath Ledger and not ... you know, that other guy in Dark Knight.

I think what is absolutely amazing about Ledger's performance is the utter immersion in the role. He literally disappeared behind the make-up and still managed to project menace, hurt and evil.

I disagree, wholeheartedly, about the kudos coming because of his death. There was a lot of set talk and leaking of comments to the press, about Ledgers performance ... they were already talking Oscar, long before his unfortunate death.

candy
08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
ok, runs in opposite directions away from Pam
i agree that HL did a fine job, what annoys is people who jumped on the band wagon, a lot of times not even seeing the film.

Woofer
08-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I also agree with you, Pam, as strange as it may sound. I know it seems as if I am agreeing with everyone, but that's only because I believe parts of each.

That is to say that I agree with HL's performance. I'm glad that I waited to see it (since I missed it in the theater, another story) because the hype around it had spoiled it a bit in advance. The cooling off period allowed me to come to the movie with a more receptive mind. (I feel like BW in the party giving the "I believe in Harvey Dent" speech. :rofl:)

HOWEVER, death always brings out more commentary, more reviews, more people who claimed to know that he was going to come to this spot from the first second they saw him in Roar, etc. That's what I mean about his death fueling the raving reviews. What's the old joke? If you want your art to be successful, you need to die.

turtlex
08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Did anyone see Heath in "Candy"? Amazing.

Still Servant
08-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents into the Bale discussion.

I don't think anybody mentioned Rescue Dawn. I thought that was an amazing film. I also really like Bale's performance in 3:10 to Yuma.

Also, it's never fair to list an actor's bad films. Every actor, no matter how good he or she is, has their fair share of clunkers. I dare anybody to name an actor that hasn't made a bad film.

turtlex
08-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents into the Bale discussion.

I don't think anybody mentioned Rescue Dawn. I thought that was an amazing film. I also really like Bale's performance in 3:10 to Yuma.

Also, it's never fair to list an actor's bad films. Every actor, no matter how good he or she is, has their fair share of clunkers. I dare anybody to name an actor that hasn't made a bad film.

Spencer Tracy. Katharine Hepburn, too. I'll venture to Vivian Leigh, as well. And James Dean. All - Never made a bad film... or rather, never been bad in a film.

Actually, my theory is that there are a lot of really bad films, but that doesn't mean an actor has to be bad in them.

Gene Hackman is in a lot of bad movies, but he's always good in them. He can rise above. Dianne Wiest is the same way. Michael Caine is as well, at least very close ( hard to forgive Jaws:The Revenge ). Julie Walters comes to mind, too.

Regardless - I stand behind those I've mentioned.

pathoftheturtle
08-11-2009, 06:26 AM
General actor criticism may not be apposite for this thread, but, while we're on it, I tend to agree with turtlex regarding great actors. Of course, it is also true that an actor can be good even if not perfect. It is wise to take a balanced view before you judge... but not wanting to jump to conclusions doesn't have to mean that it is never fair for one to form an opinions.

Still Servant
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
James Dean died before he was able to make a bad film.

I'd have to research the other actors bios in order to see if they had bad films. I'm sure they have a few that are just ehh.

Just because a film is in black & white doesn't make it good.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Oh. I didn't realize you'd had a qualifier there... is there a minimum number of movies you had in mind?!? :P

He made three films, btw, and was outstanding in all three of them. Playing three very different characters. All were in color.

I'd have to research the other actors bios in order to see if they had bad films. I'm sure they have a few that are just ehh.

The films may be "ehh" but the performances, I feel you'll find, were not. That was my point. That they could rise above.

Are you saying you've seen no films starring Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Vivian Leigh or James Dean? Oh, and they made quite a few in color as well. Gone With The Wind? Color. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? Color. Giant? Color.

Just because a film is in black & white doesn't make it good.

Nor does it mean they should be dismissed out right.

Heather19
08-12-2009, 02:24 AM

Oh. I didn't realize you'd had a qualifier there... is there a minimum number of movies you had in mind?!? :P

He made three films, btw, and was outstanding in all three of them. Playing three very different character. All were in color.

I'd have to agree with Pam about James Dean. I've seen a ton of his earlier work, he did a lot of those playhouse shows in the early 50's and he shined in them as well. Out of everything I've seen, I've never seen a poor performance come out of him. He really immerses himself in the role. I would even go so far as to say he was the greatest actor ever (but of course that is my own personal opinion). I'm not saying he would never have made a bad film in his career had he lived longer. But I just can not imagine getting a bad performance out of him.

Maybe we should start a new thread about actors and their craft since we seem to getting more and more sidetracked here. I'd actually love to see this discussion continue more.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Heather, that's a great idea, re: new thread on actor's and their craft. :couple:

I'll see if I can get one of the mod's in this forum to start it and move these comments.

SS - I love talking this stuff with you so be sure to look for it.

Darkthoughts
08-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure where I stand on HL's performance in DK either. It was good and I really enjoyed his performances as an actor in general, but his Joker didn't blow me away. I actually preferred Nicholson.

jayson
08-12-2009, 05:42 AM
quite a bit of great conversation lately in one of the film threads has focused on actors and their performances.

that discussion warranted its own thread, so this is that, a thread for the discussion of actors and acting.

i'll be moving the relevant posts from the other thread here momentarily.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 05:44 AM
jayson rocks. :rock: Thank you.

jayson
08-12-2009, 06:02 AM
and chronologically, your post is first so you get thread-starter status on this one, so perhaps i should tell you good choice on the clash reference in the title. :D

turtlex
08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Oh, yeah, that was totally me !!! :P

Darkthoughts
08-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey Feverino! How come your comment got sent to the archive? :unsure:

To answer your comment, I'm not so sure HL did lose himself in the role. Personally I think he was able to relate to the role being so messed up at that point in his own life, I think the spin put on it by the film industry or the media - that is was the role that drove him over the edge - was really more shameful or possibly tasteless way to drum up publicity.

I agree, that Nicholson is always Nicholson whatever the role - but I found him so well suited to The Joker - almost comical, but utterly insane and dangerous because of it.

turtlex
08-13-2009, 12:47 AM
( um, we had two of the same threads, so - zip, off one goes )

Just a quick note here... since we were talking about actors rising above crap movies - at least I was :D - a perfect example is Julie Walters in :gulp: Mamma Mia!. Yes, a movie with an exclamation point in it's title.

Now, granted, I'm a big Julie Walters fan. Ever since Educating Rita and her amazing performance in Billy Elliot. Now, I'm not sure if anyone here loved Mamma Mia! or not, but honestly - I think it's about the worst movie I've ever seen in recent years. And that includes 88 minutes with Al Pacino.

But, somehow, Julie Walters is able to rise above and bring a charm to her role. Given the movie, that's nothing short of a miracle.

( and honestly, I'm all for contemporary musicals - I loved RENT and really enjoyed Evita, and frankly - I like me some ABBA even, this movie is just painful for me to watch )

Quick suggestion - if anyone wants to see Meryl Streep sing, they should skip Mamma Mia! and stick around for the ending of Postcards From The Edge. Sincerely, that's an awesome movie, she's great in it, and it's funny as all get out. Plus, you get Shirley MacLaine in one of her best.

re: Jack. To me, sometimes he's not acting anymore, but just being Jack. That's not acting. If you can forget you're watching Jack, then that's acting.

Darkthoughts
08-13-2009, 03:33 AM
I know what you mean completely, and I agree, I find Brad Pitt the same. But with the Joker, as with his role in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest I thought he fit the character well enough for Jack and the character to be one and the same. I think delivery of lines and stance and an ability to compliment your fellow cast are also good acting qualities.

Seymour_Glass
08-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I loved jack in Cuckoo's Nest. And he was okay in Batman (I'm not fond of that film, so he's probably better in it than i think.) He has kinda started stopped trying hard, though.

Speaking of actors, Robert De Niro. He's hyped, but he's really damn good, too.
Al Pacino has given some great performances("Attica!")

And, this next one's gonna be more controversial: I think brad Pitt is one of the finest actors to be called a movie star working today. I've never not been impressed wih him in a picture.

Leo DiCaprio's been doing some fine work.

Christian Bale is overrated.

Johnny Depp is usually good, just not in Public Enemies.

ADDguy, over and out.

candy
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I know what you mean completely, and I agree, I find Brad Pitt the same. But with the Joker, as with his role in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest I thought he fit the character well enough for Jack and the character to be one and the same. I think delivery of lines and stance and an ability to compliment your fellow cast are also good acting qualities.

yep, he has tended more in his later years to read them in, the bucket list was a prime example esp when looking back at the shining and cuckoo nest.
but the difference is even when he phones it in, he is still head and shoulders above the young whipper snappers currently on screen

I loved jack in Cuckoo's Nest. And he was okay in Batman (I'm not fond of that film, so he's probably better in it than i think.) He has kinda started stopped trying hard, though.

Speaking of actors, Robert De Niro. He's hyped, but he's really damn good, too.
Al Pacino has given some great performances("Attica!")

And, this next one's gonna be more controversial: I think brad Pitt is one of the finest actors to be called a movie star working today. I've never not been impressed wih him in a picture.

Leo DiCaprio's been doing some fine work.

Christian Bale is overrated.

Johnny Depp is usually good, just not in Public Enemies.

ADDguy, over and out.

maybe i am the opposite of a movie snob, but i dont get the hype around al pacino? he is neeee actor and he doesnt get me running to the cinema

agree that Johnny depp i a good actor, but so far he has picked really good films, makes you wonder if he can bring a bad film upwards (as mentioned with Jack Nicholson)

I also rate brad pitt as an actor, i feel he has also made good film choices,

think your all being very cruel to C bale when you see what he does for his craft, he is one of a handful of actors that really does immerse them selves into a role so much that sometimes his personal life suffer (as has been widely documented)

Seymour_Glass
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
He's just not as expressive as I want him to be. He'll go through all the hoops, but rarely do I feel what his character does in a film.

Woofer
08-15-2009, 05:44 PM

One last comment, and Pam I am not singling you out, but I am using your quote as an example.

Why is it that people think I am in love with Bale just because I think he is the best Batman?

Srsly.

Hasn't anybody else looked at the list of live action Batmen that preceded him? George Fucking Clooney? Val Kilmer? Michael Keaton? He is the best we've had, and that doesn't piss me off.

Out.

Seymour_Glass
08-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Bale is the best batman.

turtlex
08-16-2009, 04:44 AM

One last comment, and Pam I am not singling you out, but I am using your quote as an example.

Why is it that people think I am in love with Bale just because I think he is the best Batman?

Srsly.

Hasn't anybody else looked at the list of live action Batmen that preceded him? George Fucking Clooney? Val Kilmer? Michael Keaton? He is the best we've had, and that doesn't piss me off.

Out.

:couple: SG.

Woofer
08-16-2009, 06:12 AM

Srsly.

Out.

:couple: SG.

Thankee. Sorry if I sound touchy, but I've even had casual coworkers call Bale "your boy Bale" just because I praised him as Batman (starting with his first appearance as, of course). They say this as if I love him like I love Malcolm McDowell or something. :arg: I've liked him in some of his work (American Psycho, Equilibrium), not in others (Reign of Fire, The Prestige - to be fair, I didn't like movies either), and love him as Batman. I never thought I would love a Batman, so maybe the fact that I am so excited that I do like one makes it sound like I want to stalk and kidnap him or something. I don't know.

But thanks for understanding - and letting me use your post as a jump point.

Really out now.

ETA: And no, I wouldn't kick him out of bed, but I also wouldn't kick out Gary Oldman, Angelina Jolie, Tim Roth, Salma Hayek, Brad Pitt, Malcolm McDowell, Aaron Eckhart, Alan Rickman, or the ghost of Cary Grant.

pathoftheturtle
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Hasn't anybody else looked at the list of live action Batmen that preceded him? George Fucking Clooney? Val Kilmer? Michael Keaton? He is the best we've had, and that doesn't piss me off.Adam West?:wtf:

turtlex
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Adam West brought a layered sensibility to the rol..... No, sorry, I can't even type it without laughing.

Woofer
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Adam West's pole was larger than Burt Ward's.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/TheCuteWoofer/Movie%20Picture%20Game/batpoles_01.jpg

Seymour_Glass
08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
:excited::nana::)

cozener
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Exactly. Val Kilmer? George Clooney? Michael Keaton? :cry: :cry: :cry: I actually liked Keaton's Batman the most. He fit the look and the feel of Burton's Batman movies as both Bruce Wayne and Batman better than Bale fits in Nolan's movies. I do prefer Nolan's movies to Burton's though. Burton's movies went for a more comic book feel. Nolan's movies spring more from the idea of a "real" Batman. There's no weird camera angles in Nolan's movies, no outrageous color contrasts. Even the Joker displays this with his appearance being created with makeup and scars as opposed to the far fetched scenario of being dropped into chemicals and being disfigured in such a way by them.

And I don't think Bale is a bad Batman. I think he's a rather good Batman. The problem with Bale is that he makes for a shitty Bruce Wayne. Not because he doesn't act the part well. He does. He just doesn't look the part to me.

pathoftheturtle
08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
He did look the young BW in parts of Batman Begins, IMO.

Thanks for getting my point that the nature of a film is more complicated than the subject of acting ability.

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Actors don't have to be Great in order to be great or perfect in a roll. Who says they do?It's an interesting question. I would have to say that sometimes when an actor is "perfect in" a certain role, the casting director actually deserves more credit for it than that actor does.

turtlex
12-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Actors don't have to be Great in order to be great or perfect in a roll. Who says they do?It's an interesting question. I would have to say that sometimes when an actor is "perfect in" a certain role, the casting director actually deserves more credit for it than that actor does.

This is very perceptive.

I always thought one of the coolest jobs in the Industry was casting director.

Seymour_Glass
12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah. Keanu Reeves in Thumbsucker.

cozener
12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I like the whispering that Bale does as Batman just because it makes sense that he'd want to disguise his voice. Bruce Wayne's image, at least in Nolan's movies, is almost like a male Paris Hilton. And he does everything he can to cultivate that image by acting the obnoxious, ditzy spoiled rich boy part. He's probably been interviewed by paparazzi, done fluff pieces for local tv stations. People that have interacted with him in person as both Batman and Bruce Wayne would almost certainly recognize his voice...especially astute people like Gordon and Dent.

Besides...it gets me all moist.

turtlex
12-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks, Coz - I just laughed coffee all over my computer !! :rofl:

( mostly, I just wanna hand Batman a Sucret and tell him to get over himself and remind him he's wearing a mask )

ArtherEld
01-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Well, I'll say something I'll probably get flamed for. I think Tom Cruise is a damn good actor. There I said it. I think most who criticize are bothered by his offscreen personality. Really I don't care how many couches he jumps on, he gets the job done onscreen. That's all I care about.

His best performances: "Born on the 4th of July", "War of the Worlds" (I'll get flamed for that one), "Tropic Thunder".

turtlex
01-19-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm not going to flame, but I will say that I think he's better in secondary character parts than in leads.

I loved him in Rain Man, and he absolutely rocked in Magnolia. I hated War of the World, and thought he really phoned that one in. He was really good in Born on the 4th of July. Without a doubt.

Unfortunately, he's done enough crap that it's hard for me to say he's a great actor, in general.

candy
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
i agree that he was top on rain man and born on.

but tropic thunder? really?

Jean
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I think the only movies with Cruise I've seen are Rain Man and Vanilla Sky; he was quite adequate in both.

fernandito
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
... and he absolutely rocked in Magnolia. .

He was amazing in Magnolia.

turtlex
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
... and he absolutely rocked in Magnolia. .

He was amazing in Magnolia.

Feev - I agree completely. 100%. Actually, though I loved Magnolia, all of it - my favorite scene is his with the reporter, when he's just sitting there and she asks what he's doing and he just says "What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you."

So great.

pathoftheturtle
01-20-2010, 01:15 PM

but tropic thunder? really?Well, it does show that he has some range, doesn't it?

Jean: You're saying that you've never seen Jerry Maguire?

Jean
01-21-2010, 03:18 AM
No... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

turtlex
01-21-2010, 03:27 AM
I enjoyed Jerry Maguire, too, but didn't think Cruise was that great in it. It's just a very well written part.

candy
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM

but tropic thunder? really?Well, it does show that he has some range, doesn't it?

oh path honey i do hope your being sarcastic?

pathoftheturtle
01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Huh? All I was saying was that the character was... different. I think that that might have been why ArtherEld brought it up. Whether or not he actually did a good job of playing the part is another matter. What is it exactly that you are trying to say about it, candy?

Woofer
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Gary Oldman.

He was convincing as both Sid Vicious AND Ludwig van Beethoven, not to mention Sirius Black, Commisioner Gordon, Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern), Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, O. W. Grant, Drexl Spivey, Stansfield, Oswald, and even Doctor Smith in that godawful Lost in Space remake.

http://www.empireonline.com/images/features/high-hair/gary-oldman.jpg

http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/oldman2.jpg

http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/oh3gjlha6.jpg

http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/leon-der-profi-5.jpg

http://www.ugo.com/movies/gary-oldman-spotlight/images/gary-oldman-interstate-60.jpg

http://www.ugo.com/movies/gary-oldman-spotlight/images/gary-oldman-true-romance.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/07/21/gary_oldman_black_narrowweb__300x375,0.jpg

ArtherEld
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Probably not. I just like that character. One of my personal favorites, but as far as being a factually superb acting, you're probably right.

All I'm trying to say about Cruise is that he is underrated amongst the critics, even as he is overrated amongst celebrity lovers.

DoctorDodge
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Gary Oldman.

He was convincing as both Sid Vicious AND Ludwig van Beethoven, not to mention Sirius Black, Commisioner Gordon, Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern), Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, O. W. Grant, Drexl Spivey, Stansfield, Oswald, and even Doctor Smith in that godawful Lost in Space remake.

Oh, i definitely agree with ya there, Woofer. I haven't seen all of Oldman's films, but i'll say this much: i've loved him in pretty much everything I've seen him in so far. His portrayal of Sid Vicioius was especially brilliant and haunting. However, having just watched Leon, his performance as Stansfield might just be my new favourite. At least he's easily one of my favourite villains in cinema. He was one bad fucker in that one. If ever they were to remake the Stand, just get Gary Oldman to play Flagg. He's just too good at playing the cold hearted, crazy arsed bastard not to do it!

gsvec
01-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Let us not forget Kevin Costner who always plays Kevin Costner. Great costars often make him look good, but jeez...

Woofer
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Gary Oldman.

Oh, i definitely agree with ya there, Woofer. I haven't seen all of Oldman's films, but i'll say this much: i've loved him in pretty much everything I've seen him in so far. His portrayal of Sid Vicioius was especially brilliant and haunting. However, having just watched Leon, his performance as Stansfield might just be my new favourite. At least he's easily one of my favourite villains in cinema. He was one bad fucker in that one. If ever they were to remake the Stand, just get Gary Oldman to play Flagg. He's just too good at playing the cold hearted, crazy arsed bastard not to do it!

That movie is awesome, and Stansfield is a great character, one of my favorite villains as well. Gary Oldman and independent film fans must check out Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165832/).

I firmly believe he will be remembered as one of the great leading character actors of our time. He's so damn believable.

cozener
01-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Gary Oldman rules. One of the most talented actors in film.

And on Kevin Costner, yeah. He does pretty much play himself in every role. But a lot of actors that are considered "great" do that. Al Pacino, Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson...always the same...maybe not so much when they were younger but now, definitely. Some people can let their screen presence carry them. Costner is one of those people. And he's really good at playing himself. I like watching his movies. You look at Kevin and you think, "I could sit and have a beer with that guy". Anybody see Mr. Brooks? Great movie. I've enjoyed all of the Costner movies I've seen. (but then I haven't seen Message in a Bottle)

turtlex
01-22-2010, 06:30 AM
On this, the anniversary of his death, I celebrate his life.

Heath Ledger - Rest In Peace - You Are Missed

Heath Ledger : 4 April 1979 – 22 January 2008
http://thetbjoshuafanclub.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/heath-ledger.jpg
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/Images/heath-ledger-somber.jpg
http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/nmedia/18/63/97/89/18934766.jpg

Woofer
01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/HHNews/roar_04.jpg

candy
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Huh? All I was saying was that the character was... different. I think that that might have been why ArtherEld brought it up. Whether or not he actually did a good job of playing the part is another matter. What is it exactly that you are trying to say about it, candy?

that the role could have been played by a monkey! i understand the whole film was a caricature, (and it doesn't help my asessment that i didn't like the film) but the cruise character was just a gurning baffoon! it just seemed to me to be tom cruise in a suit, and yes that may have been the whole point of the film, but that doesn't mean it was good acting.

Probably not. I just like that character. One of my personal favorites, but as far as being a factually superb acting, you're probably right.

All I'm trying to say about Cruise is that he is underrated amongst the critics, even as he is overrated amongst celebrity lovers.

i do actually agree with you, all to often the characters that we see in film are overridden by the 'celebrity' we have seen in the media, but seldom have i found that with cruise (accept for tropic thunder - pls see above:)) but i would say 90% of his films i have bought into his character which to me equals a damn good actor when you consider the column inches he gets

pathoftheturtle
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Let us not forget Kevin Costner...Please... let us!

...What is it exactly that you are trying to say about (Cruise in Tropic Thunder), candy?

that the role could have been played by a monkey! i understand the whole film was a caricature, (and it doesn't help my asessment that i didn't like the film) but the cruise character was just a gurning baffoon! ...Yeah, I kind of guessed that that might be what you had in mind. You're certainly entitled to not like the film, but, after all, yes, a gurning baffoon was exactly their intention.
...that doesn't mean it was good acting. ...True. Just so it's clear that it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not.
... it just seemed to me to be tom cruise in a suit...I wouldn't go that far. I'm not saying that it was really good, but it did seem, to me, that there was some acting involved.

No... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif:( Yar, I bet that you would really like it.

Woofer
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
No... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif:( Yar, I bet that you would really like it.[/QUOTE]

Neither have I. Can't get past Cruise.

I concur completely with Jean's appraisal of Cruise in Rain Man and Vanilla Sky, and I have seen a lot of his movies.