PDA

View Full Version : How far does the tower reach?

Ka-tet
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Somthing me and my uncle were discussing not long ago.

We know that in rolands world the tower is the tower, we know that in eddie and co's its the rose. My question is, are those the only worlds in which the tower has a physical existance? Or does it exist physically in every world, as a purple blade of grass for instance.

Sorry if the answer to this question is obvious :P

Woofer
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes. I think it exists in every world in some form.

Tvmorbid
08-07-2009, 02:13 PM
What do you reckon it is in this world then? :) I doubt there are too many singing Roses in abandoned lots these days, it would have been built over by now :lol:

Ka-tet
08-07-2009, 02:18 PM
What do you reckon it is in this world then? :) I doubt there are too many singing Roses in abandoned lots these days, it would have been built over by now :lol:

Haha good question!:P

Would anyone like to venture a guess as to the answer? I dont know where to start XD

Woofer
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
That's actually a good question. If there are an infinite number of possible universes, each splitting off from every choice we make, then it's possible. How would we know if we were in a piece of fiction? I doubt it would be like that Night Gallery episode.

candy
08-08-2009, 06:38 AM

Haha good question!:P

Would anyone like to venture a guess as to the answer? I dont know where to start XD

i think that there are still some sacred places in this world. i drive through towns, that i either know well or i have lived in and there are places that remain untouched. Alley ways, patches of fields, run down buildings. Most of these places are not peasant to look at, but neither i beleive was the lot where the rose was? who knows why these places are left?

pathoftheturtle
08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
...does it exist physically in every world, as a purple blade of grass for instance.I think that blade of grass was nothing other than a part of the same Rose, but that's just my opinion. There's a whole thread about it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2586).
Every world has a connection to the Tower, or else it couldn't properly be defined as a world in any coherent sense; it would be a part of the Prim, in the Outer Darkness.
What do you reckon it is in this world then?Yar, ironically, the world which we live in clearly is not the Keystone Earth.
... If there are an infinite number of possible universes, each splitting off from every choice we make...Not necessarily the way that things work in the TDT multiverse.:orely:

...I doubt there are too many singing Roses in abandoned lots these days, it would have been built over by now :lol:i think that there are still some sacred places in this world. ...Sure, but if there is a Tower here and some version of gunslingers hasn't intervened like in the novels, then it does indeed seem doubtful that it could be in Manhattan.

Woofer
08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
... If there are an infinite number of possible universes, each splitting off from every choice we make...Not necessarily the way that things work in the TDT multiverse.:orely:

Maybe our King got it wrong.

Brice
08-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I think King is singular.

Tvmorbid
08-09-2009, 02:19 AM

I can't remember where I read this (might have been a foreword in the revised Gunslinger) but didn't King say that he had written the whole layout for the Tower series but lost it off of the back of his bike? Maybe that was the true story.

candy
08-09-2009, 02:23 AM
...I doubt there are too many singing Roses in abandoned lots these days, it would have been built over by now :lol:i think that there are still some sacred places in this world. ...Sure, but if there is a Tower here and some version of gunslingers hasn't intervened like in the novels, then it does indeed seem doubtful that it could be in Manhattan.

but does that not make the presumption that the rose needed saving?

i may be having a senior moment, but i am sure that there is a thread around somewhere that suggests maybe the rose did not need saving. So i shall hunt for that before i make a great big fool of myself:grouphug:

pathoftheturtle
08-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Or maybe Hugh Everett got it wrong. :P

Ka-tet
08-09-2009, 01:18 PM

I can't remember where I read this (might have been a foreword in the revised Gunslinger) but didn't King say that he had written the whole layout for the Tower series but lost it off of the back of his bike? Maybe that was the true story.

Interesting way of looking at it. Maybe king did get it wrong, maybe the true story was lost.

ola
08-13-2009, 01:30 PM

I thought this was a lie that King told Roland in one of the later books, as an excuse to not write the series.

Tvmorbid
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM

I thought this was a lie that King told Roland in one of the later books, as an excuse to not write the series.

That sounds about right, I knew I'd read it somewhere :)

osseolax28
08-16-2009, 01:19 PM
the Tower has to reach everywhere because it is the nexus that holds ALL WORLDS. and in the gunsliger, Flagg,(or walter doesnt matter cuz their the same) tells Roland the Tower exists in some way in every world. for example, He said in one it manifests itslef as a lion

if it didnt reach everywhere nothing would exist because it would have fallen. thats my thought

Ka-tet
08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
the Tower has to reach everywhere because it is the nexus that holds ALL WORLDS. and in the gunsliger, Flagg,(or walter doesnt matter cuz their the same) tells Roland the Tower exists in some way in every world. for example, He said in one it manifests itslef as a lion

if it didnt reach everywhere nothing would exist because it would have fallen. thats my thought

Walter said that the tower manifests itself as a lion? Damn how did i miss that :P can you give me a book and page number perchance sai?

Reviarc
08-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I believe the tower in this world is a bottle of beer as I constantly feel drawn to it.

ola
08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I believe the tower in this world is a bottle of beer as I constantly feel drawn to it.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu201/eidmawclackshaw/darktower1.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I think outside of sai king's stoies, Leonard Cohen put it best when describing the tower

YouTube - Leonard Cohen - Tower Of Song

19th post on this thread btw:excited:

Tvmorbid
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Really? I don't remember that bit! I'm guessing it was at the end of The Gunslinger though. Do you think he was making a reference to Aslan from Narnia by any chance? :P

Jean
08-17-2009, 01:55 AM
it was a tiger, not a lion

Reviarc
08-17-2009, 01:57 AM

As Reviarc awakes in another wet, tainted puddle of urine after another inglorious night, he comes to realize that the world hasn't moved on but has just left his sorry-ass behind. Ka...

pathoftheturtle
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
and it was in DT7, and not TMIB who said it

Anyway, quite fitting, methinks.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

~ William Blake

Ka-tet
08-17-2009, 07:30 AM
and it was in DT7, and not TMIB who said it

Anyway, quite fitting, methinks.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

~ William Blake

Please refresh my memory sai, who was it that said it?

Letti
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM

Oh my.. that's a true win! :wtf: I love it to pieces.

pathoftheturtle
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Please refresh my memory sai, who was it that said it?
We 3 Kings

osseolax28
08-17-2009, 02:04 PM

Walter said that the tower manifests itself as a lion? Damn how did i miss that :P can you give me a book and page number perchance sai?

when walter and roland palaver, just before roland goes into that trance or deep sleep i think.

Jean
08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Then Feemalo said, almost apologetically:
"The cost might not be so great if one were just to consider this world, which we might call Tower Keystone, since the Dark Tower exists here not as a rose, as it does on many, or an immortal tiger, as it does on some, or the ur-dog Rover, as it does on at least one—"
(DT7)

Ka-tet: William Blake's Tiger used to be sung to Jake by his mother as a lullabye.

Ka-tet
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Then Feemalo said, almost apologetically:
"The cost might not be so great if one were just to consider this world, which we might call Tower Keystone, since the Dark Tower exists here not as a rose, as it does on many, or an immortal tiger, as it does on some, or the ur-dog Rover, as it does on at least one—"
(DT7)

Ka-tet: William Blake's Tiger used to be sung to Jake by his mother as a lullabye.

I dont remember the lullaby or Feemalo, i think its about time for me to refresh my memory and re-read DT, i just have to finish amber and re-read TGWLTG first :P