PDA

View Full Version : The Indiana Jones Thread

ZoNeSeeK
09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Latest Indiana Jones gets title

The battle to name the new Indiana Jones film is over, and the winner is The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Forget about Indiana Jones and the City of Gods or even Indiana Jones and the Destroyer of Worlds, two of the potential names registered by producers Lucasfilm Ltd. The next movie featuring the two-fisted adventurer will be called Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Actor Shia LaBeouf, who has been cast to play Jones' son in the film, blurted out the title on stage yesterday's MTV Video Music Awards - only to have the news overshadowed by two former husbands of Pamela Anderson scuffling with each other and Britney Spears dancing barely clothed on stage.

But Lucasfilm, which is producing the fourth Harrison Ford-starring installment of the Indiana Jones series, was quick to confirm the new title today.

The film is to be directed by Steven Spielberg and is slated for release in May 2008.

LaBeouf's revelation ends months of speculation as to what the new film will be called.

Reuters

ZoNeSeeK
09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Woohoo! Sounds very 90's :) :)

awesome.

Nerak
09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Matt
09-11-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm actually really looking forward to this thing. The Indiana Jones movies have been pretty good overall. :rock:

sarah
09-11-2007, 07:18 AM
:dance:

I'm so super excited about this. My new fav is Shia LaBeouf :drool: I don't want to get all heart palpations on him but well, at least he's 21 :lol:

I found this lovely photo SQUEEE!

http://www.fantasymundo.com/imagenes/noticias/4479.jpg

She-Oy
09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
He looks decent in that picture, but I don't get why everyone thinks he's so hot. Which is strange, because I usually can spot out a good looking male! That said and sticking with the subject, sort of....I miss River Pheonix!

Erin
09-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Sarah, I think Shia LaBeouf's a hottie too. :dance:

OchrisO
09-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I've been a big Shia LaBeouf fan for a long time, since the Even Stephens days, but not because he's hot or anything, he's actually kind of goofy looking, whioch is why I like him.

I'm excited about the movie, but that title is pretty weaksauce.

MonteGss
09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm excited about the movie and I like the title. :)

sarah
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I've been a big Shia LaBeouf fan for a long time, since the Even Stephens days, but not because he's hot or anything, he's actually kind of goofy looking, whioch is why I like him.

I'm excited about the movie, but that title is pretty weaksauce.

shut up. so you liked him first. big deal. i like him now so there. and you only liked him becuase he is hot.

OchrisO
09-11-2007, 08:30 PM
He also has a huge penis, so, you know.

sarah
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
yeah, i heard. you're mom told me all about it the other day on the phone. just fyi

OchrisO
09-11-2007, 08:33 PM
She must have called you from some time in 1998, before she passed away, which would be really gross, because Shia was only 12 then.

sarajean
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
:rofl:

even stevens was a good show.

but you could see the potential even then.

sarah
09-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Mike Beck
09-12-2007, 05:43 AM
Ooh, I'm excited for this movie.

I kind of preferred City of the Gods to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But I don't really care what it's called, so long as the movie is good.

sarah
09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
exactly, mikeb. the movie better be good. after 19 years of hype if i'm let down, so help me, i will freak out.

now. hmmm. lets see here....

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/10001591/photo_04.jpg

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/10001591/photo_02.jpg

Mike Beck
09-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Marian! She was the best Indy chick of them all. Can drink the hell out of some booze as well. ;) My kinda lady.

Matt
09-12-2007, 04:21 PM
If she is in this movie, I am totally back.

That bar scene in Raiders is some of the best shit on film imo.

ZoNeSeeK
09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sounds like a version of Monkey Island ;P

BlakeMP
09-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I hereby declare the title sufficiently pulp-fictiony. I like it. :)

sarah
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/36781/2005158851598502568_fs.jpg

is this picture even real? Harrison Ford got touched up big time. He looks
40 years old

Will
12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
It's at least as real as the giant crystal skull behind him.

Sai Joshua
12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I thought that this one was going to be called "Indiana Jones And The Golden Bottle Of Geritol"! I hear he dies in this one by falling and breaking a hip. Seriously, I am hyped about this movie, I just hope that all of the action doesn't come on Shia's end but that Harrison Ford still has a little gas left in the tank.These were some of my favorite movies as a kid and now my kids watch them.

Still Servant
12-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I saw some of the fliming here at Yale University this summer. They were filming parts of a car chase scene. It looked pretty cool.

I'm hoping that maybe they can turn the franchise over to Shia if all goes well. I'd be up for a new, younger Indie. Some might not feel the same.

Also, this film has Cate Blanchett in it. Nuff said.

Mattrick
12-11-2007, 04:33 AM
I remember when this movie was first talked about in 98 and it was to be Indiana Jones and The Lost City of Atlantis...

Shia Labeouf is going to taint this movie as he has every other movie he's in. In a goon who I've only seen play an awkward, verbally clumsy, unpopular kid (who manages to get the hot girl) and he does it very, very, badly. He over acts what doesn't need to be acted.

If it wasn't for knowing Lucas and Spielberg are behind this I would just ignore it. Ford hasn't made a good film in about a decade and, as for Shia...you know already. Seeing Blanchette and Winstone involved is a plus as well as a screenplay by Koepp. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. The Last Crusade will be a tough movie to outdo.

Still Servant
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow, I think you're the first person I've heard that doesn't like Shia Labeouf.

I hope you're not forming these thoughts from his performance in Transformers alone. I thought he was really good in Disturbia.

Although it was a crappy movie, I thought he did a nice job in The Battle of Shaker Heights. I also liked him in Holes.

I hope he changes your mind with Indiana Jones. I'm always interested when I see somebody who dislikes another actor like Shia. I just don't see it.

Some guys I can understand like Vin Diesel. I have a friend who hates Tom Hanks. What? That's just un-American.

OchrisO
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Sia Labeouf is really good in The Greatest game Ever Played, in my opinion.

They should change the name to Indiana Jones and The Worst Name Ever.

Mattrick
12-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Wow, I think you're the first person I've heard that doesn't like Shia Labeouf.

I hope you're not forming these thoughts from his performance in Transformers alone. I thought he was really good in Disturbia.

Although it was a crappy movie, I thought he did a nice job in The Battle of Shaker Heights. I also liked him in Holes.

I hope he changes your mind with Indiana Jones. I'm always interested when I see somebody who dislikes another actor like Shia. I just don't see it.

Some guys I can understand like Vin Diesel. I have a friend who hates Tom Hanks. What? That's just un-American.

I'm not just basing it on Transformers but Disturbia sucked and he sucked in it. I just don't see the appeal in this guy. He's little little to no screen presence. I was rooting for David Morse all of Disturbia, I was just waiting for him to stab Shia in the face with a piece of rebar or something.

Holes nor The Greatest Game Ever Played interest in me in the slightest. Besides Transformers being average, him being in the next two make me want to see them less.

Vin Diesel I can see why people like him, he's an action star and the women love him. Shia, though, just nothing. I haven't been this clueless on how a guy keeps getting roles since Orlando Bloom. I understand with Bloom it's the women factor but other actors must realize how much of a drain he is on the movie.

There are two things that make an actor; Screen Presence and Acting Ability, looks aside. Actors such as Vin Diesel, Arnold, George Clooney and Keanu Reeves, Sam Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis etc. have made careers out of their presence.

Shia does not have this, at least in my opinion. Until I see him in a role where is isn't a quirky, awkward yet charming person then I call em as I see em.

OchrisO
12-12-2007, 02:33 AM
There's nothing wrong with quirky, awkward yet charming being one's specialty. Someone has to play that role. That's what he does and I find that he's good for that sort of role in the same way that Sam Jackson is good for the guy who yells motherfucker a lot and doesn't know how to whisper. :)

Mattrick
12-12-2007, 03:09 AM
The difference is people see Sam Jackson and think 'wicked, he'll say mother fucker a lot or the token black guy' then you've got Shia, do people think 'he's gonna stumble on his words a lot or he'll be uncomfortable around the opposite sex!'...I doubt it. He's starred in two movies, one major and I don't hink he's a draw to either of them. Transformers could have starred Henry Wrinkler and no one would've cared as long as robots blew things up.

I think it's horrible to be type cast as that kind of character because it's only going to last for so long. The list of actors from the previous thread (minus Keanu) can go away from that type cast and still maintain their screen presence. I just can't see this in Shia's future. I give his mainstream career another two years before he falls by the wayside.

It's not very often actors who come in and break huge into the business at a younger age and progress. Many viewers think of them as playing teenagers or kids and their roles diminish as they age. It's the few exceptions like Leonardo DiCaprio and Jake Gyllenhaal that make the transition from teenage actor to adult actor without seeming to miss a beat. Then you've got your rare exceptions like Elijah Wood and, probably Dakota Fanning, that will just keep going and going. If Shia makes it out of his teenager/young adult role phase I'll be impressed.

Still Servant
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
There are two things that make an actor; Screen Presence and Acting Ability, looks aside. Actors such as Vin Diesel, Arnold, George Clooney and Keanu Reeves, Sam Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis etc. have made careers out of their presence.

Vin Diesel has no business being anywhere close to those other actors in any category known to man.

Shia does not have this, at least in my opinion.

You're right, we differ in opinion on this subject. I'm sure you'd have people agree with you on this and so would I. I'm also pretty sure there are actors you like that I just despise.

That being said, I liked Disturbia. I'm not really sure what he did wrong in that one for you.

cozener
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I dunno...ever since Harrison took up with that scrawny Flockhart chick I've lost a lot of respect for him. Its like she magically transformed him into a giant tool.

And the title sucks.

Ah...you know I'll watch it though.

Some guys I can understand like Vin Diesel. I have a friend who hates Tom Hanks. What? That's just un-American. I liked him in Chronicles of Riddick but honestly I think I just liked the character he was playing...but he did play that character well.

sarah
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
It gave me goosebumps. :D

YouTube - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Trailer

fernandito
02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
That video made me tingle in all the right places.

sarah
02-14-2008, 12:47 PM
yes, me too fever. ;)

jayson
02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
perhaps in this new one the ancient artifact he can rescue will be a copy of the first film. i don't see why movies have to be "franchises." why do we have to see old actors rehashing old roles? i have nothing against harrison ford, but let's retire some of these roles already.

fernandito
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
NEVER!

Matt
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
That looks great!!

Wuducynn
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/36781/2005158851598502568_fs.jpg

is this picture even real? Harrison Ford got touched up big time. He looks
40 years old

Wow. This actually looks worth getting excited about!

fernandito
02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh shit, I just noticed that this movie is going to be released on my birthday! :lol:

SUUUUH--WEET!

Wuducynn
02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I dunno...ever since Harrison took up with that scrawny Flockhart chick I've lost a lot of respect for him. Its like she magically transformed him into a giant tool.

And the title sucks.

Ah...you know I'll watch it though.

Some guys I can understand like Vin Diesel. I have a friend who hates Tom Hanks. What? That's just un-American. I liked him in Chronicles of Riddick but honestly I think I just liked the character he was playing...but he did play that character well.

Well just the fact that you said something positive about The Chronicles of Rid-DICK shows your opinion isn't worth dick.

jayson
02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Well just the fact that you said something positive about The Chronicles of Rid-DICK shows your opinion isn't worth dick.

words right out of my mouth...

Scoogs
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
HD trailer is up on the official site.

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

I see everyone talking about Shia movies and not one of you mentioned A Guide to Recognizing your Saints. You need to go rent that.

Mattrick
02-14-2008, 07:20 PM
That being said, I liked Disturbia. I'm not really sure what he did wrong in that one for you.

He played the same character I've always seen him as. And Disturbia was a cheap, teenage thriller remake to a great movie like Rear Window, which I saw AFTER Disturbia. I'm just hoping Shia LaBeofoeuf doesn't get a cut from my movie ticket. I loved the trailer, looks like old school indiana jones with a more clean and crisp look. Also love Shia being but a mere glimpse in the trailer. :P

OchrisO
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
The trailer has me quite excited. It doesn't look like Harrison Ford has lost it at all. It reminds me of why I love Indiana Jones.

Brice
02-15-2008, 05:45 AM
perhaps in this new one the ancient artifact he can rescue will be a copy of the first film. i don't see why movies have to be "franchises." why do we have to see old actors rehashing old roles? i have nothing against harrison ford, but let's retire some of these roles already.

99 times out of hundred I agree with you. This time I just can't based on two points

1) So far it looks like they didn't fuck it up (as most remakes are). It really looks great from what little I can see.

2) It's motherfuckin' Indiana Jones and...see #1

Woofer
02-15-2008, 11:12 PM
There are two things that make an actor; Screen Presence and Acting Ability, looks aside. Actors such as Vin Diesel, ...and Keanu Reeves have made careers out of their presence.

Vin Diesel has no business being anywhere close to those other actors in any category known to man.

On the contrary, he fits beside Keanu - both being wooden actors. At least Vin is buff.

Blech on Flockhart and her bony ass! It was cool to see Ford acknowledge horror and how the Academy screws horror movies at the Scream awards.

sarah
02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1185233/photo_06.jpghttp://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1185233/photo_10.jpg

ZoNeSeeK
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Watch the trailer for Raiders of the Lost Ark, then watch the trailer for Crystal Skull, and you'll immediately notice how old Ford is :) But they've written his character age as much older aswell so from what I've seen its going to flow quite well. "Accomplished archaeologist adventurer about to lay down his hat has another shot at it" kind of stuff. It'll work.

Completely agree with Mattrick about Shia Labeouf, nothing about the guy interests me. Stick to B-grade action roles. He sounds like a french prostitute - but saying that, the 'sidekick' role in the Indie movies is always a 2 dimensional B-grade action role anyway, so he's probably perfect for it :)

Blanchett looked fucking killer as the villain though, looking forward to that!

Mattrick
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm a very huge fan of the theatre environment, it's one reason why assholes that get movies off the internet for free piss me off, their killing the market. Everything is so big and loud and powerful at the cinema. I could've seen No Country For Old Men but this was around a time when The Mist and I Am Legend were out which I'd rather the theatre atmosphere. I often leave dramas and comedies for DVD. I've got surround sound a widescreen TV and Tommy Lee Jones being 40 ft. tall doesn't add much for me. But sitting front row, looking up at a 70 ft. screen with the Cloverfield monster and it's one hell of an experience.

MonteGss
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Trailer was awesome! I personally don't understand why the title of this new one is "crap" and the others were not. The Temple of Doom....oooooh, sounds soooo creepy. *sacrcasm* That title is retarded in comparison to one that actual makes you rack your brain trying to figure out what it is about. My two cents. :)

ZoNeSeeK
02-18-2008, 05:58 PM
your sig just cracked me up :)

MonteGss
02-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Yes, I'm hysterical, I know. ;)

Aesculapius
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
*bump*

I came across this last night...couldn't help but laugh.

Regardless of any unearthly properties the crystal skulls may or may not possess, the question remains: where did they come from? There are countless hypotheses that they are the legacy of some higher intelligence. Many believe they were created by extraterrestrials or beings in Atlantis or Lemuria. One elaborate theory maintains that the skulls were left behind by a sophisticated Inner Earth society which lives at the hollow center of our planet, and there are thirteen "master skulls" which contain the history of these people.

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Indiana Jones movies past and current!!!!!!

I am sooooooo excited about this movie coming out that I made it's own table at the bookstore that I work at !!!!!!

And it's doing soooo well that Jan is letting me pick out the next table (we are next having a "green" table) but let's discuss

favorite Indy movie, why, what you don't like, etc.,.

sarah
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey ya Lady! We have an Indy thread :D just fyi this will probably be merged.

<---personally, I'm freaking excited about it. I'm going this weekend with my Dad!

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Already have a Indy thread? *wipes forehead* Thank Gan!!!!!!! :D

I may see it Saturday with my brother and my mommy..

obscurejude
05-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Just saw it tonight.

Erin
05-22-2008, 09:18 PM
How was it Ryan?

obscurejude
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
How was it Ryan?

It was very good and far from disappointing. The movie is getting excellent reviews, I read Ebert's before I saw it. I watched the other movies this past week and this one fits very nicely. Same cinematography, same serial feel. None of the CGI is overdone, which makes the timeline a lot more believable. The skull theme may seem stupid from the promos, but I found it really interesting (has to do with aliens. :ninja: Shia did a good job, as I know many of you were antsy about. He plays a greaser of the 50's era, which isn't exactly the nerd he is usually type casted as. I'd say more, but spoilers and all...

Erin, go see it. You'll really enjoy it if you liked the other ones. Its exactly what any Indy fan would expect.

Erin
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Great review!

I'm seeing it tomorrow night! :D

Unfound One
05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm going to see it Saturday and I'm very excited.

obscurejude
05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
:)

special k
05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
i thought the movie was awesome up until..... the fuckin aliens and the spaceship:angry:

obscurejude
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd ask why, but obviously you're a moron.

just kidding, but I thought they were cool, I mean, how else are you going to top the Holy Grail?

Unfound One
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Damn, I wanna click both of those spoilers, but I'll wait.

obscurejude
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Mine isn't actually a spoiler. Anyone can click on it, just don't click on special K.

And K, I don't think you are a moron, I was just joshing.

Matt
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Dang! After these reviews, Dora and I may have to haul our asses over to Junction to see it. :rock:

obscurejude
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Go for it Matt. I really liked it. It was completely in step with the previous ones. If you liked those, you'll like this one.

obscurejude
05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we didn't have to worry about spoilers. How did you like it? I was worried about how they were going to top the Holy Grail, and the aliens did it for me. What about that guy getting eaten by the ants? I also liked the Cold War elements and was glad they brought Russia in as the baddies this time (no offense Jean).

Discuss away.

special k
05-23-2008, 11:07 PM
i hated the aliens. it just didnt seem to fit. other than that the movie was great

obscurejude
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
i hated the aliens. it just didnt seem to fit. other than that the movie was great

At what point? It sort of began that way, and on through the end. Did you have a specific scene in mind?

special k
05-24-2008, 01:46 PM
the very end when the alien came back to life and the spaceship flew away.

LadyHitchhiker
05-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I loved everything about the aliens and it did it for me. Big flesheating ants, everything. It was stellar...

special k
05-24-2008, 05:40 PM
the ants were pretty badass

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 02:34 AM
The ants were crazy. I knew you were going to like the aliens Liz.

RUBE
05-25-2008, 03:48 PM
I really liked most of the movie because the action was fun in a "suspend your disbelief" kind of way just like the other movies. I thought the Alien element was a little too Spielberg (I think he has decided every third movie he makes must have aliens and they must look similar, see AI if you don't believe me) but there was only one part I hated. That part is the scene with Shia's character and the monkeys. All I could think was, "This is not fucking Tarzan or George of the fucking Jungle!" Other than that it was pretty good. Now if they go and continue the franchise with Shia as the new Indiana I will be pissed.

Sai Joshua
05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Well I hate to be "Debbie Downer" of the bunch, but this movie did not do it for me. I will say that on the whole I liked it, but there were some elements about it that I definitely disliked.
1. Harrison Ford didn't seem to put his self into his character like he did on the other 3 movies. To me I didn't see Harrison Ford in the first 3 movies, I saw Indiana Jones. In this movie I saw the actor Harrison Ford reading lines and wearing the Indiana Jones costume. He didn't "sell" the character to me.
2. While I like Shia Labouf, I didn't like him in this movie. He an Harrison Ford never really seemed to click in this movie.
3. While the special effects were great, I didn't care for the whole alien premise. I would think that they could have come up with something better.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from seeing the movie, Overall it was worth seeing Indiana Jones on the big screen one more time. If you are a big effects fan, this is the movie for you.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
No need to apologize Sai Joshua. This is a spoiler thread, so I don't think a whole lot of people will pop in here if they haven't seen it.

I thought Harrison pulled it off. I watched all the other ones the day before I saw the new one, and I'm under the opinion that they were in step. The only thing that changed was a few years, it was surprisingly in continuum for me.

Shia was good, but the monkey swinging scene was pretty lame, although I will say it was sort of a serial series type of scene, and that was what Lucas always had in mind.

I really liked the alien premise up until the very end, the spaceship was lame, but I liked the premise.

Unfound One
05-25-2008, 07:27 PM
I liked it a lot. Very entertaining, but perfectly unbelievable, which I'm totally okay with. :)
I was totally into the aliens, all except when the one came back to life.
The Shia monkey swining scene was ridiculous, but I loved Shia otherwise.
I also watched the first the within the last week and I really felt like this one continued in the same vein. Also, I appreciated how they didn't over-use technology - what they did do worked for me.
Harrison's still a badass even though he's 65. Rock on.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Harrison really did rock, 65 or otherwise.

Maerlyn, what did you think?

ZoNeSeeK
05-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Im going to merge this with the other thread. The movie has been released now so there's no need to have a "pre release" discussion thread about it. Ill keep the spoiler warning in the title.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 07:53 PM
That was the only reason I started a new one Josh. I didn't want people to have to worry about spoilers.

ZoNeSeeK
05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Yep fair enough, but its fine to start discussing spoilers since the movie is reelased, just as long as users are warned before entering the thread.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 07:59 PM
You are the man. I just wanted you to know that I considered before starting a thread.

ZoNeSeeK
05-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah thanks for that, I can see why you started it :)

I was thinking about just moving the original one to The Clearing instead but thought it may be better keeping the posts there for continuity's sake.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 05:50 AM
I thought this movie was fantastic and fit perfectly with the other three. This one had the same sort of "unbelievable" scenes and sequences which I love and come to expect in Indiana Jones movies...

Shia did well, I liked him. I DID like the monkey scenes, they were hysterical as was the entire point of it. Harrison totally ROCKED. I loved the 50s feel to it and the turn towards sci-fi the movie had. Fantastic flick and even though it is absolutely WRONG and THIEVERISH ( :lol: ) to charge $10 for a movie...it was worth it. :)

Ka-tet
05-26-2008, 06:48 AM
The movie was well made, and i did infact enjoy it.

But it didnt seem like Indiana Jones to me. I mean Aliens? WTF :S. I think they should have foucoused more on the El Dorado side of the movie.

And just as a note, i think Shia did well.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 07:03 AM
For me, it was Indiana Jones because they shifted their focus to the 50s (sci-fi) rather than the 30s type feel. I loved the switch-up. All 4 of the movies had a different flavor which was why I liked it so much. :)

Odetta
05-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Just saw it last night... overall, I wasn't getting my hopes up before going in, so I was happy I saw it... however,

I had a real problem with the spaceship at the end. You want to make it be about aliens? Fine... but having the spaceship at the end was a little too lame and it makes no sense. If they are "Transdimensional" as was stated in the film, do they need a ship to get around???

I also have to get my head wrapped around CGI in films. I don't usually enjoy it, because you can tell when it's computer generated (ex. the car chase/sword fighting scene). In the "good old days", they would have performed that entire scene genuinely. The scene was cool, don't get me wrong... I just want it to be real. Like I said, something I need to just accept.

LOVED the ants... LOVED the scene in the sand with the snake! I liked the falling over the waterfalls... very typical Indy stuff.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Hmm, interesting. I don't pay too much attention to the special effects so I personally didn't notice when things were CG and when they were "traditional" effects. :) I was too busy enjoying the scene. :)

Odetta
05-26-2008, 07:32 AM
yeah, I don't know what to say, Monte... it's a thing that I want to get over. It was a good scene tho!

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 07:34 AM
No worries, my dear. To each their own. I learned years ago to stop noticing the different types of special effects and just enjoy what I'm watching. I know...I'm fortunate. :)

Ka-tet
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
So...did anyone notice the Ark of the Covenant at the start?

I sure you guys will have >.<

obscurejude
05-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah, of course. I love the continuity. This one seemed perfectly in step to me.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 07:44 AM
AGREED!!! I nudged my wife when the Arc came on screen! :lol:
She rolled her eyes at me....:lol:

Ka-tet
05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Me and my friend kinda shouted "ITS THE ARK".

Telynn
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I liked it, I liked all the Indiana Jones movies. If I had to rate them all it would be like this:

The main reasons 4 is below 3: I think Marion should have had more to do. I mean she was badass in the first movie. Just kinda there in this one. Wasn't too thrilled with the Aliens. I like Cate Blanchett, but she didn't do it for me as the bad guy.

I did like Shia. I thought he did a good job. I like how they didn't try to make Ford the total hero, but put Shia in to do alot of the heavy stuff since Ford is older. That was one of the things that turned me off of the last Die Hard movie. I mean, come on. Age does affect these people. The ants were totally nasty, in wonderful Indy fashion. :shudder:

All the being said, I found out my daughter hasn't seen Raiders. I'm a terrible parent and need to rectify this as soon as possible.

Oh and no freaking way would a refriderator survive a nuclear blast.

Unfound One
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh and no freaking way would a refriderator survive a nuclear blast.

HELL no. I laughed during that whole scene as the fridge was pummeling across the desert.

MonteGss
05-28-2008, 05:50 PM
:rolleyes:
Jeez guys...it's Indiana Jones, not a friggin documentary. :)

Unfound One
05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh I know, and that's why I love them so much. :)

Scar
05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I saw Indy yesterday. I thought it was great! Right up my alley; I have been interested in UFOs, pschics, the Mayans, the Nazca lines and other things that were in the movie, for some time now. Good stuff.

turtlex
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Um, my two cents and maybe not welcome much - I hated it. I mean, I was VERY disappointed. I am a big Indiana Jones fan. I mean, BIG. I was very excited when filming started and thrilled with the cast and the return of Marion. However, after seeing this movie today - I could not have been more disappointed. I thought it was poorly written and the acting forced. It was like Harrison watched his old movies and then acted like Indiana Jones acted. Not sure if that makes sense but he just wasn't quite Indy.

Very disappointing for me.

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
hey i have a question. we're going to see this tomorrow night (my husband and i) and i know there's ants in it but are there spiders? i have a thing about spiders. :panic:

say thankya

Unfound One
05-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Not that I remember... Anybody else?

ladysai
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Um, my two cents and maybe not welcome much - I hated it. I mean, I was VERY disappointed. I am a big Indiana Jones fan. I mean, BIG. I was very excited when filming started and thrilled with the cast and the return of Marion. However, after seeing this movie today - I could not have been more disappointed. I thought it was poorly written and the acting forced. It was like Harrison watched his old movies and then acted like Indiana Jones acted. Not sure if that makes sense but he just wasn't quite Indy.

I'm with you.
I cant really put my finger on what was wrong with the acting...bad script, bad directing, whatever; but, it wasnt at all like the endearing, memorable characters in an Indy movie. The characters seemed like cardboard cutouts somehow.

I enjoyed the special effects, and that's about it.
~shrug~

I recommend waiting for the DVD release to anyone who plans to spend the cash to see it in the theatres.

Telynn
05-30-2008, 08:31 PM
hey i have a question. we're going to see this tomorrow night (my husband and i) and i know there's ants in it but are there spiders? i have a thing about spiders. :panic:

say thankya

Don't recall any spiders, but plenty of other creepy crawlies.

MonteGss
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
:rolleyes:
Grown-ups.

:)

The movie was super-good!

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
There's TONS of ants...and there's some scorpions but I dont' remember spiders...

I know how you feel... I watched the second Harry Potter movie in the theatre and felt like my skin was crawling th rest of the night.

Shamey
05-31-2008, 01:23 PM

say thankya

No spiders. Ants, a snake, monkeys, scorpions...but nooo spiders.

turtlex
05-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Creepy crawlies, yes. Ants, scopions, but I don't recall any spiders either.

Matt
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm with you.
I cant really put my finger on what was wrong with the acting...bad script, bad directing, whatever; but, it wasnt at all like the endearing, memorable characters in an Indy movie. The characters seemed like cardboard cutouts somehow.

I enjoyed the special effects, and that's about it.
~shrug~

I recommend waiting for the DVD release to anyone who plans to spend the cash to see it in the theatres.

I have decided this is the very thing we are doing.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
urban dictionary word of the day:

The word for June 03 is nuke the fridge

A colloquialism used to delineate the precise moment at which a cinematic franchise has crossed over from remote plausibility to self parodying absurdity, usually indicating a low point in the series from which it is unlikely to recover. A reference to one of the opening scenes of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, in which the titular hero manages to avoid death by nuclear explosion by hiding inside a kitchen refrigerator. The film is widely recognised by fans as a major departure from the rest of the series both in terms of content and quality.

Guy 1: "Wow. Did you see the new Indy movie? What the hell was that? It was like I was having some kind of flu induced absurdist nightmare."

Guy 2: "Yep... did or did not that series permanently Nuke the Fridge?"

Guy 1: "Oh, totally Nuked the Fridge! But I guess Spielberg is happy as long as he has the money of the people who trusted him."

Guy 2: "Guess so..."

Bev Vincent
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I just got back from seeing it. I liked it okay, but I wasn't thrilled out of my seat like I hoped to be. Outside of the odd nuclear bomb, there weren't really many pitfalls or traps, the kinds of gags that made the earlier movies so exciting. It had its moments, and I like the way they acknowledged the passage of time, but it was missing something vital.

turtlex
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
urban dictionary word of the day:

The word for June 03 is nuke the fridge

A colloquialism used to delineate the precise moment at which a cinematic franchise has crossed over from remote plausibility to self parodying absurdity, usually indicating a low point in the series from which it is unlikely to recover. A reference to one of the opening scenes of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, in which the titular hero manages to avoid death by nuclear explosion by hiding inside a kitchen refrigerator. The film is widely recognised by fans as a major departure from the rest of the series both in terms of content and quality.

Guy 1: "Wow. Did you see the new Indy movie? What the hell was that? It was like I was having some kind of flu induced absurdist nightmare."

Guy 2: "Yep... did or did not that series permanently Nuke the Fridge?"

Guy 1: "Oh, totally Nuked the Fridge! But I guess Spielberg is happy as long as he has the money of the people who trusted him."

Guy 2: "Guess so..."

Sounds like "nuke the fridge" is the new "jumped that shark".

Darkthoughts
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
This thread has been renamed - feel free to come and discuss all things "Indy" in here :D