PDA

View Full Version : Book Collection : Darkman

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
The more i come to this site, the more I find great things.....

I going to spend rainy days organizing some neat stuff and sharing some of the incredible things I've found, gathered and collected, over the last couple of decades to help me remember how the hell my house got filled floor to ceiling with "shtuff". ....I hope some of the pictures and info that gets in here will be of some help and/or interest to people as over the years, I've learned many a thing from just researching online and speaking to people.

Although I will start primarily with books, I hope its ok to extend some of the input into this thread not just to books by King or books in general, as I have many other items that were signed in my presence and provenance may be of interest to people, that i obtained over 20 years working in the music industry.

Lets call it this a "pop culture" collection that includes vintage books from about the mid 1800's to signed "shtuff" from current musical celebrities ....and had some impact on me for whatever reason....

Most of the items here will never be for sale, but from time to time, some items may be available, it will be noted (if thats ok?) anyone from DT interested in these, will have advance notice.

So where do i start?
I guess age before beauty, I'll start with my oldest beautiful books......

Hope you like looking at my "shtuff" :pirate:

darkmaniscoming

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 04:21 PM
The oldest books in my collection are related to my fascination with the artist GUSTAVE DORE ( 1832-1883 ) and were all printed at some point in the last quarter of the 1800’s although you wont find printing dates on many.

Popular because of the many incredible full page illustrations, these large size heavy folios were sold door to door believe it or not by mass publishers such as Collier, Cassle and Thompson and Thomas, each trying to outsell each other.

Countless printings were made and often on very cheap stock, but covers were as elaborate as possible to attract buyers. Remember it was a big deal to own a book at this time for many.

Although many of these were over produced and it is relatively easy to find a copy, seldom is it not in disrepair because of their large size and inferior quality. Mint copies can reach 4 digits, but I believe that a decent copy with all pages attached and some impression of it’s 130 year old cover, is certainly worth $30 to $100 depending of course on condition for the shear brilliance of the illustrations alone.

During this time Dore did hundreds of these detailed images and was commissioned for popular titles such as Don Quixote, Paradise Lost, Dante’s Inferno, Purgatory & Paradise, and many more. It is incredible to think that someone could actually do as many brilliant illustrations as Dore did, in one lifetime, especially considering he worked primarily with wood engraving and steel engraving in order to produce the illustrations...he also only lived to 51 years of age?
I will post a few here from these volumes, but I strongly recommend researching his life and work further as it's a world of its own.
The artist could capture serious religious scenes for the Bible as well as outright comical bizarre images for "Droll Stories" which had to be obviously very risqué for the time. Just amazing!

Pictured here is a double set of Dante’s Purgatory, Paradise and Inferno by Collier, still holding much of its ornate cover foil stamp
A still tight but disintegrating "red" cover copy of Milton’s Paradise Lost by Thompson. The Bible Gallery by Cassell, still tight with deep emboss , still retaining some foil and another tan variant of Paradise Lost, also by Cassell.

There are countless other variants in several colors from the same period.
Interesting old books, to say the least....

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697&d=1248567667

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
I also keep vintage 1930's copies of these titles as well as a brand new replica of Paradise Lost which is bookmarked to my favorite images for quick reference and to keep my dirty paws off the old ones as much as possible...

The illustrations are reprinted spectacularly in these printings as well.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698&d=1248568095

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
As well as being quite competent in illustrating a scene of Holy Angels fighting Demons from the pits of hell, Dore was commission for many books which were comical parodies of "modern" life, as well as the plain bizarre.

Pictured here is vintage copy of "The Works of Rabelais", "Droll Stories",
Leather bound ornate Spanish "Don Quixote" and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen...which contain illustrations of some truly bizarre stuff, especially for the time period.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1699&d=1248569845

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Some of the hundreds of religious engravings by Dore.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1700&d=1248570881

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Along with illustrating an incredible rendition of Poe's "The Raven", Dore's most difficult work to obtain is a vintage copy of Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" neither of which have joined my collection yet.
Although several variants also exist with these titles, again all fighting for first edition rights, any decent copy of these two from the 1800's can reach the four digits.

I do have a replica printing of "Rime" which these pictured plates come from.
After viewing these, I'm sure any Dark Tower fan would have to agree that Dore would have been an excellent candidate to illustrate for King's masterpiece had destiny put them on the planet at the same time.....

The thing about Dore's work is that you can look at an illustration for years and always find something new somewhere in the detail. These images here do not do justice to the pieces, find a nice resolution picture on the web to view, I guarantee you will want to see another one.

I think that's it for Mr. Gustave Dore, hope you look him up some time.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1701&d=1248572948

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Stemming from the Dore illustrated "Adventures of Don Quixote De La Mancha"
are two additional vintage copies of the Cervantes classic.

One is the first printing of an 1866 English Edition illustrated by Tony Johannot
the other is a turn of the century ornate edition as retold by Judge Perry and illustrated by Walter Crane. Also pictured is a neat little suede printing of Poe's "Raven"http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1702&d=1248577511

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
At one time I had built up a substantial Frank Baum "Oz" collection which is a very complicated field. Many Oz books are tired reprints worth very little, but many are very rare and can be lucrative. I recommend purchasing:
BIBLIOGRAPHIA OZIANA, A CONCISE BIBLIOGRAPHICAL CHECKLIST OF THE OZ BOOKS BY L. FRANK BAUM AND HIS SUCCESSORS.
to anyone interested in this field.
You can get it at:
http://www.oakknoll.com/detail.php?d_booknr=86827

Here are some of the amazing turn of the century original editions that I have found over the years. Although some have moved on to other good homes, I still consider them a part of my collecting experience.....

Original first 1903 printing "The Wizard of Oz" Frank Baum, illustrated by W.W. Denslow.

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Original first edition 'Scarecrow of Oz" Reilly & Britton...not to be confused with Reilly and Lee reprints.
All I can say is if you ever see ANY Reilly and BRITTON Oz edition for a dollar at a yard sale, even if it looks a little beat up like this one, PAY THE DOLLAR AND RUN REAL FAST!!

Darkmaniscoming
07-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Here's some less common early century reprint editions that are still very collectible.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1705&d=1248579694

biomieg
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Awesome! I also love Doré's work. I have a feeling this thread will indeed be showcasing an eclectic collection, and I can't wait to see it all :)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 07:33 AM
A few more Oz early prints...notice two copies of "Rinkitink" in different colors. Color can help determine what printing you have in this very complex field of collecting. A few of the many wonderful full page color illustrations by John Neil are pictured as well.
That's a quick look at a small selection of the most popular childrens books from 1900-1925 by Frank Baum....http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1707&d=1248622375

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Extending from the Oz book collection is a few more early children's classics.

Very rare turn of the century English "Cinderella" with tipped in color plates illustrated by Millicent Sowerby and "Snow White" featuring illustrations from the original "motion" picture 1939.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1708&d=1248624654

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Another collectible illustrator I discovered is Heath Robinson, who is credited with some of the earliest illustrations of bizarre "outrageous gadgets".

1925 "Adventures of Uncle Lubin" which he both authored and illustrated and an early printing of "Arabian Nights"http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709&d=1248625273

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I've always collected copies of Bram Stokers "Dracula"
I have too many copies of Dracula reference books to picture so here's a few.

Pictured is the 1927 very common photo-play edition which is constantly misrepresented as the real first. Tough to find with a decent dust jacket.
Also a later variant as well as a deluxe Heritage press slipcase edition.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1710&d=1248626423

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 08:47 AM
This is the real cover of the first edition of "Dracula" for reference. If you ever find it you could trade it for a small house.:thumbsup:

Also pictured is an English 1912 - 12th edition which is still a desirable printing of this title.

herbertwest
07-26-2009, 08:56 AM
a friend of mine owns the first french edition of it... it's quite impressive to see the first edition of such a mythical book :-)

e_taylor
07-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm sure Bob (carlosdetweiller) would love to see the rest of those Dracula books, he has a huge collection of them too!

Nice stuff so far!

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 08:58 AM
One of the strangest books I've ever come across is this mutilated copy of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein". It is an English 1868 edition that was found under a water heater. I've never been able to find any data on this copy and if anyone knows anything here, i would appreciate any info. Note the incorrect spelling of "Shelley" on the title page.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1712&d=1248627490

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
T. E. Lawrence, was a British officer renowned especially for his liaison role during the Arab Revolt of 1916–18. His vivid writings, along with the extraordinary variety of his activities and associations, have made him the object of fascination throughout the world as "Lawrence of Arabia"
"The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is the autobiographical (some say bs) account of his experiences of British soldier while serving as a liaison officer with rebel forces during the Arab Revolt. The original printing of 1926, is less than 200 copies and extremely rare. ($$$$)

Pictured is the original version of 1935 that was published for general circulation after Lawrence was killed in a motorcycle accident. This is the correct "rough cloth" heavy volume indicating first print. Very hard to find an original dust jacket as it was a paper wrapper that nobody really kept at the time. Beside it is the later more common smaller deluxe version as well as an ornate Folio Society later print. "Revolt in the Desert" also pictured is the follow up from in its large format first edition. Many of the smaller cheaper reprints of both these titles are listed as firsts on Ebay and have destroyed the true value of these early adventure classics.

An interesting, controversial character. I like those.:)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I've been very lucky in acquiring rare 1st printings from this era which for me, starts around 1950. Many of these titles CAN be found at yard sales, church sales, thrift shops etc.

One of my most incredible finds:

1950 first printing of C.S. Lewis "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."
in what is considered to be fantastic shape, unfortunately only the cover of the DJ was included tucked inside the book.
(It is also pictured in a fantastic replica of the original DJ)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Truman Capote....what do I say? A great writer.

Pictured are first editions of his amazing work.
Be very leery of any signed copies of these, a four year old could forge one.
There are authentic signed limited editions but very costly.
I keep reading copies of several titles as well.

These titles are all available for purchase in true 1/1.
PM me if interested.:pirate:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1715&d=1248634524

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Although known primarily for his "Sci-Fi" classics, many of Ray's non-spaceship stories are equally brilliant.

Three of my favorite Bradbury titles:

"Something Wicked this Way Comes" S&S 1962 1/1
"Death is a Lonely Business" 1985 Franklin S/L
"Fahrenheit 451" UK 1954 (sixth impression :()

A very nice sample of Ray's signature from Franklin is also pictured.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Other titles that have been signed by Ray....
Two authentic signatures for reference.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 12:17 PM
The Ray Bradbury Chronicles Volumes 6 & 7 (NBM)
Two awesome hard cover graphic novels full of many of Ray's best short stories.
These were limited to 1000 copies and these are both number 51.
Looking for the other 51's if they are exist..:drool:

Pictured as well are the limitation pages signed by all the contributors.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Right next to Bradbury lives my Harlan Ellison collection.
Famous for Sci-Fi, but just like Bradbury, his non-spaceship stuff I really like.

Ellison has won ten Hugo Awards, four Nebula Awards, and five Bram Stoker Awards (presented by the Horror Writers Association) including the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1996.

He has also been honored with the Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America twice, the Georges Méliès fantasy film award twice, and the Silver Pen for Journalism by International PEN, the international writers' union. He was presented with the first Living Legend Award by the International Horror Guild at the 1995 World Horror Convention. He is also the only author in Hollywood ever to win the Writers Guild of America Award for Most Outstanding Teleplay (solo work) four times.....

Three of my favorite Ellison books:

"Deathbird Stories" 1980
"Angry Candy" S/L 1988
"Stalking the Nighmare" 1982

Pictured is an authentic Ellison signature as well.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Other signed editions by Harlan Ellison and an unsigned 1/1 copy of the ground-breaking science fiction anthology, Dangerous Visions.

(Also pictured is holy water from the Jordan River in glass bottle)

PS. desperately looking for a dust jacket for the pictured 1/1 signed copy of "Shatterday" If you got one...can I have it?:cyclops:

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Two fantastic S/L

"No Doors, No Windows." Borderlands Press
"Dream Corridor" Graphic Novel ~ Dark horse

Authentic signatures from each.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Amazing book of Ellison's short writing as interpreted by artist Frank Yerka.

"Mind Fields"

Very cool illustrations.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1722&d=1248644011

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Original printing of the classic, rebound in leather and green cloth.
Expected to eat this book up from recommendations but honestly never could get through the writing...to each his own....

This copy for sale. PM if interested.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
The following Steinbeck books are for sale.
I would like them all to go to the right home if possible...

Wayward Bus ~ UK 1/1
Short Reign of Pippin IV ~ UK 1/1
Short Reign of Pippin IV ~ US 1/1
East of Eden ~ U.S. later print
Sweet Thursday ~ UK 1/1
Winter of our Discontent ~ UK 1/1

A nice collection of early titles from this classic author.
PM if interested in any or all titles. :pirate:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1724&d=1248647104

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Three copies in US 1/1 of Animal Farm by George Orwell.
One copy lacking DJ. Hoping to find one, a Faxs will soon be added if you don't have one to give me???

Also pictured is an ornate Orwell Omnibus and a reading BC copy of 1984, until I can get all the Orwell titles in true 1/1.....:orely:

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Best known for his novel " Brave New World " and wide-ranging output of essays, the incredible Aldus Huxley, also published short stories, poetry, travel writing, and film stories and scripts.

Recently I found a US 1/1 copy of this rare title with a poor binding, but excellent text block. It has been sent off for professional rebinding and I'm very excited to get it.

I recreated a version of the original graphics from the book to be foil stamped on the leather, a picture is included of the design, as well as a leather easton press copy and a neat little 1956 reprint.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Three other of my favorite Huxley books in 1/1 HC.

I have most all of Huxley's work in various printings but hope to acquire all in 1/1 HC.....

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you it will take a long time.....:clap:

Awesome! I also love Doré's work. I have a feeling this thread will indeed be showcasing an eclectic collection, and I can't wait to see it all :)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 03:19 PM
WOW!!! I'd love to see a picture of it if possible...:thumbsup:

a friend of mine owns the first french edition of it... it's quite impressive to see the first edition of such a mythical book :-)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
One of my all time favorites.....

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
One of my treasures.....Great copy of his first book "Hell's Angels"
This American 1/1 book is as new condition with very good dust jacket.
Hard find for sure....

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
The rest of my US 1/1 collection including another favorite:
True 1/1 "The Curse of Lono"

Still looking to get the first two F&L books to complete the collection ($$$$)

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
The king of dialogue...Elmore Leonard.
All US 1/1 signed copies with one UK 1/1

Nice samples of Leonard signatures, one including "Dutch", one with a neat gangster inscription and a sample of his latest signing.

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
All US 1/1 signed featuring the S/L edition of "Sins of our Fathers"
also signed by Stephen King

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Another personal all time favorite of mine is "The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks who also goes by Iain M. Banks when writing futuristic / Sci-fi.

This is my collection of his work including a very nice sample of one of the signed pieces....

Darkmaniscoming
07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Of course everybody knows Roald Dahl Childrens books like "James and the Giant Peach", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" etc...but he wrote some wickedly humorous adult books as well....."Switch Bitch" and "My Uncle Oswald" are two of my favorites.

herbertwest
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Your collection is impressive!

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 05:44 AM
All 1/1 signed.
Nice sample of dated signature.

jhanic
07-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Darkman, would it be possible to see an overall picture of your collection?

John

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Signed 1/1 and some S/L with signature pages.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:09 AM
You mean like the room, shelves etc????

John

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:22 AM
I collect my favorite films in 1/1 HC

Schindler's ARK is a signed first Australian (follow the flag) which became the fantastic film "Schindler's List"

Wiseguy is the basis for the film "Goodfellas" which always "amuses me"
The rest I think are pretty straight forward.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1739&d=1248704192

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
My Chuck Palahniuk Collection and some of my favorite inscriptions....:pirate:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1740&d=1248705745

jhanic
07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
You mean like the room, shelves etc????

John

Yes. I'm sure most of us would like to see just how your magnificent collection is displayed.

John

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Going to have to find my fish eye lens.....and move some crap out of the way.
Just finished (sort of) making some shelves so its probably a good time for a "work in progress" shot....:pirate:

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Fish eye lens couldn't cut it so I had to do a few section shots....
The boxes and library trolly are still full of stuff that I need to deal with.
I plan on making more of those wall hanging glass cases to showcase some more top shelf stuff.....work still in progress...:panic:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1743&d=1248724555

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
some more sections:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1744&d=1248724713

biomieg
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
A room with a view...

I love it! Please keep posting your gems :)

PS I like the guitars... I've been hooked on the instrument for a decade or two.

Ari_Racing
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Very nice!! Congratulations!!

I have two Doré books. Incredible artist!

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
OK I better take a break from books and post a guitar now then.....

Back in the eighties, yes I am an old fart.

Iron Maiden was endorsed by Lado Guitars. A few different models were made to their specifications as prototypes. Three bases were made for Steve Harris.
A "Unicorn" a "Falcon" and a "Supra"
The unicorn was very weird and Steve tried it, loved it, and they made a wicked airbrushed one for him. The Falcon same thing.

Steve also wanted a normal looking Bass as well.
The Supra was made and he tried it on two shows where he chipped it in two places slightly. The bass was returned and a airbrushed one was to follow.

Iron Maiden then became huge and got a serious ($$$$) endorsement from Gibson which voided the Lado one in contract. The bass never went back to Steve.

I got it.

For years I tried to find a picture of Steve playing this bass to no avail.
Last year, the bass was donated (lets say) to a amazing Iron Maiden "museum" in Spain.
A week after my precious beautiful Lado Supra arrived in Spain, the owner of this "museum" sent me the two pictures of Steve playing it.:clap: There's a detail pic as well of his name carved into the back of headstock.

Although I miss her incredibly, she lives in an amazing place, surrounded by her friends.
I also have a dear friend in Spain now.......http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1745&d=1248726696

Ari_Racing
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
LOL. Awesome! :)

I was one of the lucky ones to go on stage with the band and sing with them "Heaven can wait". I think I posted the pic here somewhere.

If I tell a friend of mine about that bass...he could die inmediately :D

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I worshiped AC/DC as a kid. Don't know exactly how, but fate brought me to end up being their photographer for 6 tours in my twenties.

Angus Young is just an incredibly cool dude.
He and the band would always treat me right.
No offense to Brian Johnson but Angus knew I was a huge fan of the Bonn Scott days and unfortunately Bonn was dead long before my time.

In 1997, the box set "Bonfire" came out with an incredible selection of Bonn's legacy. When the band came to Toronto that year, Angus brought me one.

He opened it and pulled out the poster and signed it:
"The Darkman Rocks ~ Angus Young."

Now you need to understand that Angus is an amazing funny guy but very very tongue in cheek sarcastic....I thought i would be the same.

I looked at it, pretending to be disappointed and said:
"The Darkman rocks??? Do you know how many things I have on my wall that say...the Darkman rocks??? can't you be original????"

He looked UP at me and in a very strong Auzzy accent said:
"Howd on, howd on, Aye ain fineesh yet........"
and wrote:
"but takes a shit photo!!"

I friken love this thing to pieces and treasure the moment forever.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1746&d=1248728415

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Coincidence??????

Unfortunately Big (and i mean BIG) Billy (RIP) is blocking me in the shot.
Where's your picture? add a link yes?http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1747&d=1248728983

LOL. Awesome! :)

I was one of the lucky ones to go on stage with the band and sing with them "Heaven can wait". I think I posted the pic here somewhere.

If I tell a friend of mine about that bass...he could die inmediately :D

Ari_Racing
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/tecabe.jpg

This is the picture of the official Iron Maiden website

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Signed by all Kiss Alive III poster...and what's that thing beside it??

Well kiddies, when I was young we didn't have CDs.

That is called an 8-track. It cost $6.99 back in 19..........
because it's a DOUBLE 8-track!!!!! That might as well been a million dollars.
We had to listen to the whole album not just one song over and over.
Sometimes the songs were too long and got cut off...????

This one is still shrink wrapped with it's original price sticker, well because I friken hated 8-tracks, but the black side is signed by Gene and the white side by Paul in my presence the first time i met them many moons ago.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1748&d=1248730627

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
DD of Pantera signed this photo of mine for approval for press. RIP
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1749&d=1248735765

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
This was signed for a friend of mine back on Pearl Jam's first tour, who passed away last year suddenly.
It's a Pearl Jam "Ten" door mat signed by all for Ray. RIP brother.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1750&d=1248736224

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Pride and Glory ~ Zakk Wyldes first record inscribed:
"thanks for all the help~ Zakk Wylde"
Zakk never needed help~killer guitar player.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1751&d=1248737132

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Hmmmm, can't write a book here, so lets just say this was signed in person by Ozzy.....VHS "Live and Loud"
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1752&d=1248737645

e_taylor
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Pride and Glory ~ Zakk Wyldes first record inscribed:
"thanks for all the help~ Zakk Wylde"
Zakk never needed help~killer guitar player.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1751&d=1248737132

Amazing guitar player, and also an amazing southern rock album!

Met him after a BLS show at Harpos in Detroit a few years back - very down to earth guy considering the fame and all that.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Neil Young Photo from 1993 signed (on the arm..look close) in person 1994
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1753&d=1248747625

Matt
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Holy shit man, that is a hell of a collection of stuff! My brother would pee himself for that KISS action.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Worked with Metallica a few times and got a lot of signed stuff.
This is my favorite shot of James signed by the whole band in my presence.

If your name is Kevin and you are a huge fan, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-James-Hetfield-METALLICA-100-Authentic_W0QQitemZ120442936460QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item1c0af55c8c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

and buy it...it's real. :pirate:

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
We've only just begun????:wtf:

Holy shit man, that is a hell of a collection of stuff! My brother would pee himself for that KISS action.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
"Generation Swine" CD signed by the band in my presence.
Also pictured is one of the first "Crue Brews" given to me by Tommy Lee.
I have a picture of him giving it to me somewhere I will have to find.
When he told me that it makes you shit blue (literally) I tucked it away,
as my liver and bowels were already taking a beating that day.
Probably more info than you need. :pirate:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1755&d=1248749861

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Photo approved and signed by Edward Van Halen in my presence.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Sign by 4 in my presence Styx 8X10 promo photo.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
A nice signed 8X10 ~ "Love Phil Collins" for my Mom RIP
and a 11 X 17 approved photo inscribed:
"What would I have done if....Thanks, Phil C."
Still to this day, I have no idea what he meant.:unsure:

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
CD signed in my presence by Jazz Legend ~ Pat Metheny.

Darkmaniscoming
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Approved photo signed by Ted Nugent and Tommy Shaw and of course the Ted Nugent "Whack Master 1993 Catalog" also signed by Ted

herbertwest
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
truly an impressive collection!

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Photo approved and signed by Steve Tyler and a photo that always amuses me.

turtlex
07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Dman - you really should consider putting the photos in the gallery or photobucket or something and linking them, rather than using attachments. They'll be larger and easier to see, if you do.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Photo approved and inscribed by Ritchie Sambora of Bon Jovi.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Might be a forgers dream though...?
If you think there's been a lot of King forgeries,
you should search rock star autographs...its sick.

This is semi private as i trust people here.:pirate:

Dman - you really should consider putting the photos in the gallery or photobucket or something and linking them, rather than using attachments. They'll be larger and easier to see, if you do.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Photo approved and signed by Ed Roland of Collective Soul.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Photo approved and signed by Chris Robinson ~ Black Crowes

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Photo approved and signed by Sammy Hagar. He's a dude

biomieg
07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Good shtuff Darkman! The Maiden collectibles are awesome (Maiden and AC/DC were my first exposure to heavy rock/metal back in '84/'85)...

... I'm curious though, when do we get to see your Stephen King collection? ;)

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't have any...:orely:

biomieg
07-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Really? Somehow I find that hard to believe.... :) but in any case, please do continue posting!

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Have to sort it out still.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1767&d=1248796977

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 09:05 AM
It is common knowledge that Pantera's guitar player Dimebag Darrel was killed by a crazy gunman 2004, however not so known is that singer Phil Anselmo also died. Pronounced clinically dead from an overdose, Anselmo somehow miraculously returned to life and these were his thoughts as he approved this photo. Pizza, Popeye, penis and the number of the Beast......?

Randall Flagg
07-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Darko, what an incredible thread! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, and special thanks for the stories behind the items.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Thank you Jerome,
I'm having flashbacks, deja vu (check spell) and serious other magic moments doing this. Sometimes you take a lot of things for granted as the years pass. I realize that meeting one of these people could be somebodies life dream. It's been a strange trip, this thing called life....

:clap::clap:

Darko, what an incredible thread! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, and special thanks for the stories behind the items.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok this one is really cool.
Check this out:
YouTube - Jimi Hendrix live painting by Denny Dent

Then if interested further see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Dent

as well as:
http://dennydent.com/

Original painting by Denny Dent as well as a picture of Jimis grave in Seattle. RIP to both of these incredible artists.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1769&d=1248806344

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Working with the Monkees is like being in a very surreal TV show from your youth. Don't remember who is the snobby rich one, but its signed by all except him.

This is what happens when you work with Iron Maiden and the Monkees in the same week:
http://audioporncentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/dj_schmolli_-_the_trooper_believer.mp3

does it work??

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Being hailed by many as having "scientific importance...to doctors, jurists, and anthropologists." and others as just vile pornography, without a doubt, either way, "the 120 Days of Sodom" by the Marquis de SADE is the most twisted, sickest piece of literature I ever read but curiosity kills you on this one.
A really interesting topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_Days_of_Sodom

Equally twisted is the fact that Italian director Pier Paolo Pasolini actually made a film "Salo" based on it.
Equally bizarre topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2_o_le_120_giornate_di_Sodoma

Banned in much of the world, pictured is a 1957 rare printing of it as well as the movie.

cody44
07-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I love the Ed Roland signed picture, and I also like the collection you have going.

Darkmaniscoming
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
~Thanks Cody ~

Darkmaniscoming
07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
British author Will Self has some serious mental instability problems.
I have all his books and most signed.
Closest I've ever come to reading anything like De Sade is
"My Idea of Fun" where some seriously disturbing things happen.
"Cock and Bull" features stories about a woman who grows a penis, and a man who grows a vagina ..... behind his knee!!!
Amusing for sure...
Pictured is both English and American signed firsts of C&B
and a signed American first of Fun.

Darkmaniscoming
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Some more of my Will Self signed 1/1 collection.

"Great Apes" special fold out limited.
"Grey Area"
"Quantity Theory of Insanity"
"Sweet Smell of Psychosis"

A great example of his signature as well.http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1773&d=1248920827

Darkmaniscoming
07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
"Incendiary" by Chris Cleave is a great book...read it.
The story revolves around a fictitious terrorist bombing of a London soccer game. It is the first person writing of a woman who loses both her husband and her son and her twisted ramblings in writing to whom she thinks is the perpetrator ~ Osama Bin Laden . Did I say it was a great book? Yes it is phenomenal.

The bizarre thing about this book is that it's release date was 7/7/05.
The same day as the London Bombings. Strange.

Cleaves second book is dynamite as well.
"Little Bee" on this side of the Atlantic, "The Other Hand" in the UK.

Pictured is 3 signed copies of this outstanding first book.
One is inscribed "To the most evil man in history",
pictured is a great inscription:
"Let's blow the world back together with incredible noise and fury!!!"

Also 2 signed limited UK 1/1 of "The Other Hand"
and a US 1/1 that is signed with a special dated immigration stamp,
with another stamp that says
"Thank Goodness Darkman transcends National Borders"
which is related to the book.
Looking forward to another book by this great new author.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1774&d=1248922606

Darkmaniscoming
07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
oh oh another music segue........

Equally coincidental is Dream Theaters Live record
"Scenes from New York"
Digi-pack promotional release date was September 11, 2001
It pictured New York's Twin Towers on fire and came stickered
with the release date "Hits the streets September 11!!"
Instead of doing promo, the band spent a lot of time being interviewed
by the FBI and CIA even though they are awesome guys and have nothing to do with this terrible tragedy....
Needless to say all the CD's were pulled except of course the ones already sent out....very rare.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1775&d=1248924167

Darkmaniscoming
07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
More Dream Theater....

Signed rare signed single "Silent Man", "Pull Me Under" (Live)

A signed photo of mine which was the center fold of the
"Touring into Infinity" Tour book as well as the same photo as a tour shirt.

Also the first album (vinyl!!!!) signed.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1776&d=1248924873

Darkmaniscoming
07-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Never a dull moment when working with the German Olympic Drinking Team.
16 X 20 color print signed by Scorpions.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1777&d=1248965823

Darkmaniscoming
07-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Photo signed inscribed by Joe Elliot of Def Leppard.

Darkmaniscoming
07-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Photo inscribed by Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains.

Darkmaniscoming
07-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Photo signed by Paul Stanley of Kiss

Darkmaniscoming
08-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Easy Rider Poster signed by Peter Fonda and John Kay of Steppenwolf.
I guess maybe I should replace the broken glass huh?
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/easy_rider_001_small.jpg

Darkmaniscoming
08-01-2009, 05:15 AM
Signed/numbered Tori Amos print.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/more_stuff_023.jpg

Darkmaniscoming
08-01-2009, 05:20 AM
G'n'R calendar 1994 signed by Slash.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/more_stuff_021.jpg

Darkmaniscoming
08-01-2009, 05:28 AM
THANKS JEROME AND MATT FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS!!!!!!
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1785&d=1249133309

Patrick
08-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Very cool collection, Darkman. I like seeing the mix of interesting books and other ephemera. :clap:

Darkmaniscoming
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
If anyone is into Iron maiden, I'm letting go a couple of authentic items.
PM interested...(not through Ebay!!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120458495443

Darkmaniscoming
08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Rare 10 inch yellow vinyl record signed by all four of the Hooties.

Ah yes vinyl was cool. You young ones don't know what you're missing.

Don't know if anyone remembers these guys, but this item is for sale to a good home:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120459056420

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/hootie.jpg

razz
08-14-2009, 08:22 AM
I keep reading this thread as "Doctor Ecclelston's Collection"

Darkmaniscoming
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
It's OK I am a Doctor...really I am.

EddyRawlea
08-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow you sure have a lot of fake signatures in your collection HAHAHAHAHA
It's raining here again if you give me your password I can post more of your fake stuff while you are goofing off in the city (IF i CAN FIGURE OUT HOW)
ANSWER YOUR EMAIL OR AT LEAST PHONE HOME E.T.!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR DOG IS REALLY PISSED OFF AT YOU!

frik
09-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Darkman, awesome collection! :clap:

sk

Darkmaniscoming
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Frik - I guess i've slacked off here since the weather got nice...:)

Some of the action on the threads lately reminded me of an item that is very close to my heart and yes,
by golly, it's a STEPHEN KING item...imagine that?

A lot of people remember their first _________. (fill in the blank)

I will never forget my first KILL...:)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/NEW_KINGFAKE_018.jpg

Patrick
09-07-2009, 07:27 PM

A lot of people remember their first _________. (fill in the blank)

I will never forget my first KILL...:)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/NEW_KINGFAKE_018.jpg
I suppose we should have seen that coming. :lol:

Brice
09-09-2009, 05:08 AM
:unsure:

Did it come with a COA? :lol:

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 06:30 AM
YES!!! Actually it did.....

I used my excellent bartering skills to trade the ashes of both the item above as well as the ashes from the COA for some yellow snow collected outside Mr. Kings house made by his dog.

I have kept the "snow" in the freezer for many years and only take it out when I'm trying to impress people. It is truly one of my most treasured items. I will take some pictures when I take it out again this Christmas....:drool:

jhanic
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Are you sure the yellow snow was made by his dog?? :P

John

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
PSA/DNA tested and passed...wasn't taking ANY chances with it not being authentic....

Are you sure the yellow snow was made by his dog?? :P

John

Darkmaniscoming
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Here's a hodgepodge of more music stuff. Many people are collecting music related tickets, passes, concert posters and programs. It is becoming a huge business. Some used concert tickets are fetching thousands of dollars, beleive it or not....
I'll be posting many more items from my "collection" as some call it, but all of these are events I personally attended either for work or fun and the items remind me of some great times.

I'll try to detail as best as I can remember off hand, you all already know I am a geezer so I'm not scared to attempt to figure out the dates:

1.Two of many dated Metallica shows I photographed. Beside is a portrait of guitarist Kirk Hammett I took in 1996 i believe. Below the passes in a shot of Metallica receiving some award, looks like 1997.

2.Next to Kirk is a photo of Sammy and Eddie from Van Halen 1993.
Below those signatures is a photo of Alex Van Halen and moi, Alex is a very down to earth guy and was always very good to me. Below that is a portrait I took of Eddie flexing his new tattoo "Wolfang" which is his son. A couple of VH passes are next to that from looks like '96.

3.Above those is my working pass from Nirvana 1993, and one of the last live photos of Kurt Cobain. The image is very low res (sorry). A limited/numbered edition of only 12 have been produced 16X20 and are for sale if anyone is a big fan. PM me if interested.

4.Bottom left is some Ozzy passes along with a photo of him and a glass that I had a "tea" with Ozzy out of, and man I'm a pack rat cause I took it home as a souvenir.

Next to that is a "Money talks" dollar signed by Angus Young of ACDC. Thousands of these were dropped from the ceiling during one tour in the 90's but I'm a little hazy as to what year cause I did so many tours with them. Beside that is a picture of me throwing Angus in the air, because I always wondered how the hell Bonn Scott/Brian Johnson were able to run through the crowd with him on their shoulders....
Answer: Angus Young is very light.
Above that is my "Ball Breaker " working pass signed by the band.

Hope you like lookin at this shtuff cause theres lots more here..:)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/653/medium/music_shtuff_small.jpg

Merlin1958
07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow!!! That is an extremely varied and Awesome collection!!!! Love the classic books and Rock n Roll memorabilia.

Truly Awesome!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Cook
06-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Interesting... Did you ever feed the dog?
Has the Darkman come & gone? I'd like to see more.

Ben Eads
11-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Awesome books!

I'm happy to see another Capote fan!