PDA

View Full Version : General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

Pages : [1] 2

CyberGhostface
06-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Courtesy of ICv2

This should give a general idea of how the comics have been doing since it began to now. For the record, these don't count issues bought in the months after the initial release. (I.E. a July issue bought in October)

I would assume that variants are included in sales.

Rankings indicate how well they're doing in comparision to the other titles released that month. So one issue can have a higher ranking than a later month's, but still do worse. For example, the final issue of The Fall of Gilead had a higher sales ranking than the previous one, but still had fewer issues sold.

I'll be editing this post as updates occur.

Sale Estimates

Title | Rank (out of the top 300) | Est. Sales

The Gunslinger Born #1 | 2 | 172,147
The Gunslinger Born #2 | 5 | 136,338
The Gunslinger Born #3 | 4 | 132,481
The Gunslinger Born #4 | 2 | 131,753
The Gunslinger Born #5 | 5 | 132,090
The Gunslinger Born #6 | 5 | 128,336
The Gunslinger Born #7 | 3 | 124,609

Gunslinger's Guidebook | 54 | 48,806

The Long Road Home #1 | 1 | 123,839
The Long Road Home #2 | 3 | 103,008
The Long Road Home #3 | 12 | 87,605
The Long Road Home #4 | 14 | 79,240
The Long Road Home #5 | 15 | 74,965

End-World Almanac | 87 | 29,257

Treachery #1 | 9 | 82,517
Treachery #2 | 21 | 65,724
Treachery #3 | 18 | 58,268
Treachery #4 | 36 | 53,728
Treachery #5 | 22 | 50,668
Treachery #6 | 27 | 48,119

Guide to Gilead | 114 | 21,171

Sorcerer #1 | 50 | 39,207

The Fall of Gilead #1 | 31 | 43,580
The Fall of Gilead #2 | 50 | 39,978
The Fall of Gilead #3 | 57 | 36,982
The Fall of Gilead #4 | 63 | 35,607
The Fall of Gilead #5 | 64 | 34,522
The Fall of Gilead #6 | 57 | 32,531

The Battle of Jericho Hill #1 | 67 | 30,756
The Battle of Jericho Hill #2 | 77 | 28,350
The Battle of Jericho Hill #3 | 65 | 27,215
The Battle of Jericho Hill #4 | 69 | 26,336
The Battle of Jericho Hill #5 | 77 | 25,896

The Gunslinger #1 | 79 | 26,275
The Gunslinger #2 | 82 | 24,024
The Gunslinger #3 | 90 | 22,744
The Gunslinger #4 | 91 | 21,820
The Gunslinger #5 | 93 | 21,323

jhanic
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Very interesting! A REALLY definite drop in volume as the series continues.

John

turtlex
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Good stuff, Cyber. I'll merge this after a bit into the general thread.

The drop-off is scary. That's very significant.

I don't see any of the other one-shots listed, were those not available? ( ie - Gunslingers Guidebook, Guide to Gilead, etc )

CyberGhostface
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
What I find interesting is that the decreasing sales were attributed to the break between the first two arcs, which is why they're all coming out rapidly and Jae Lee's taking a breather for the current arc. But the list shows that the first two issues of Long Road Home sold pretty good and didn't peter off until later...

I don't see any of the other one-shots listed, were those not available? ( ie - Gunslingers Guidebook, Guide to Gilead, etc )

I didn't look for those when I compiled the data but I'll go take a look now.

EDIT: I added them.

turtlex
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Nice. Great info. Thanks, Cyber.

turtlex
07-22-2009, 02:49 AM
This thread is for all NON-King related Comic News - industry, retail and artist.

Anything really.

Feel free to post stories and discuss same here.

Use spoilers if appropriate.

turtlex
07-22-2009, 02:53 AM
What an odd upcoming offering from Dark Horse. ~ turtlex

Morgan Spurlock ready to "Supersize" comics

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Super Size Me," the Oscar-nominated documentary that took the fast-food diet to extremes, is getting a companion piece in the form of a graphic novel.

The film's director, Morgan Spurlock, and his production company, Warrior Poets, are teaming with Dark Horse Comics for an original graphic novel, "Supersized: Strange Tales From a Fast Food Culture."

Conceived as an adjunct to the 2004 movie -- and aiming, like it, to make a point about health and nutrition -- the book will feature bizarre stories about the United States' obsession with fast food. Spurlock will write the stories, with a mix of established and up-and-coming artists scripting and drawing the book. It's set for publication in the spring.

Spurlock said that after his movie was released, he and Warrior Poets were inundated by calls from people who wanted to share their tales from the fast-food underbelly. Among them: the story of a fat man whose cremation made a mortuary smell like French fries and the man who built in his garage a museum of McDonald's food that never aged.

"As great as they were on paper, I think they'll be better told in a graphic-novel form," Spurlock said. "They're funny, they're gross, and hopefully they'll be informative too."

A clown character called MC Super-Size Me, created during the promotion of the movie, will act as the guide through the stories, in the same way the Crypt Keeper hosted the ghoulish stories in EC Comics' "Tales From the Crypt."

CyberGhostface
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I added Fall of Gilead #2. It's just barely ahead of Sorcerer this time--interesting, given that Sorcerer was a one-shot with no variants...

jhanic
07-24-2009, 05:11 AM
This is all EXTREMELY helpful! No wonder the 1:75 sketch variants are so hard to come by for these later issues!

John

turtlex
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks again, CG. I appreciate the updates.

John - Exactly, my friend! This explains the scarce variants!

turtlex
07-26-2009, 04:22 AM
The 2009 Eisner Awards were held Friday evening at Comc-Con International: San Diego. Here is a list of the winners.

2009 Eisner Winners

Best Short Story: "Murder He Wrote," by Ian Boothby, Nina Matsumoto, and Andrew Pepoy, in The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror #14 (Bongo)

Best Continuing Series: All Star Superman. by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC)

Best Limited Series: Hellboy: The Crooked Man, by Mike Mignola and Richard Corben (Dark Horse)

Best New Series: Invincible Iron Man, by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larocca (Marvel)

Best Publication for Kids: Tiny Titans, by Art Baltazar and Franco (DC)

Best Publication for Teens/Tweens: Coraline, by Neil Gaiman, adapted by P. Craig Russell (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Best Humor Publication: Herbie Archives, by "Shane O'Shea" (Richard E. Hughes) and Ogden Whitney (Dark Horse)

Best Anthology: Comic Book Tattoo: Narrative Art Inspired by the Lyrics and Music of Tori Amos, edited by Rantz Hoseley (Image)

Best Webcomic: Finder, by Carla Speed McNeil, www.shadowlinecomics.com/webcomics/#/finder/

Best Reality-Based Work: What It Is, by Lynda Barry (Drawn & Quarterly)

Best Graphic Album—New: Swallow Me Whole, by Nate Powell (Top Shelf)

Best Graphic Album—Reprint: Hellboy Library Edition, vols. 1 and 2, by Mike Mignola (Dark Horse)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips: Little Nemo in Slumberland, Many More Splendid Sundays, by Winsor McCay (Sunday Press Books)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books: Creepy Archives, by various (Dark Horse)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material: The Last Musketeer, by Jason (Fantagraphics)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Japan: Dororo, by Osamu Tezuka (Vertical)

Best Writer: Bill Willingham, Fables, House of Mystery (Vertigo/DC)

Best Writer/Artist: Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library (Acme)

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team: Guy Davis, BPRD (Dark Horse)

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: Jill Thompson, Magic Trixie, Magic Trixie Sleeps Over (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Best Cover Artist: James Jean, Fables (Vertigo/DC); The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse)

Best Coloring: Dave Stewart, Abe Sapien: The Drowning, BPRD, The Goon, Hellboy, Solomon Kane, The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); Body Bags (Image); Captain America: White (Marvel)

Best Lettering: Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library #19 (Acme)

Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism: Comic Book Resources, produced by Jonah Weiland (www.comicbookresources.com)

Best Comics-Related Book: Kirby: King of Comics, by Mark Evanier (Abrams)

Best Publication Design: Hellboy Library Editions, designed by Cary Grazzini and Mike Mignola (Dark Horse)

Hall of Fame:
Judges' choices: Harold Gray, Graham Ingels;
Voters' choices: Matt Baker, Reed Crandall, Russ Heath, Jerry Iger

Sam
07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm REALLY surprised All Star Superman won. I tried to read it and found the story very lacking.

turtlex
07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
McFarlane Back for Spawn # 200

"It's issue #200, a big anniversary book, so I thought I'd come in there," McFarlane told CBR News of his return to "Spawn's" pencil-based interiors. "I've got some ideas for the story where I might have some pages done by guest artists for some flashback sequences. I'd do the A-story, and then within the confines of that there would be three or four little B-snippet flashbacks. So it'd kind of put together an all-star team, but until I get them to fully commit, I'll hold off on the names."

turtlex comments - This could be intersting... bringing in other artists to work on flashback panels. :orely:

turtlex
07-28-2009, 03:35 AM
In a posting on his official site, Warren Ellis announced Monday that he is writing a film treatment for a story based on the Arthurian legends. Ellis has yet to determine a title for the project, which is known as “Excalibur” by its producers, Hollywood Gang, who also co-produced Zack Snyder’s adaptation of Frank Miller’s “300” and previously optioned Ellis and Chris Sprouse’s “Ocean.”

This “Excalibur” is not related to Ellis’ work on a Marvel comic book series of the same name.

turtlex
08-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Archaia Teams with Amazon to Produce OGNs for the Kindle

Meeting the growing demand for more digital content, Archaia announced that it would produce original graphic novels (OGNs) exclusively for the Amazon Kindle, which will include the Kindle’s iPhone and iPod touch apps.

Archaia will initially premiere four OGNs on the Kindle over the next 12 months. The new collaboration kicks off with Tumor, an original story from Joshua Hale Fialkov and Noel Tuazon, the creators of the Harvey Award-nominated Elk’s Run. Tumor, a Los Angeles noir about a private investigator with a terminal brain tumor trying to close one last case before the cancer kills him, will be released as eight individual chapters over the next six months, to then be collected into a hardcover edition. The first chapter of Tumor is available now on the Kindle for free, with subsequent chapters priced at 99 cents.

turtlex
08-17-2009, 12:44 AM
“TALES OF THE STARLIGHT DRIVE-IN” won the treasured BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE YEAR award in the 2009 Comics Buyer’s Guide Annual Fan Awards!

The book handily beat work by giants like Alan Moore and Brian Azzarello and garnered a whopping 53 percent of the vote.

CyberGhostface
08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
The sales for Fall of Gilead #3 came in. It's #57 in the rankings, selling 36,982 copies.

In comparision, the Sorcerer one-shot came in at #50 and sold 39,207 copies.

turtlex
08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
The sales for Fall of Gilead #3 came in. It's #57 in the rankings, selling 36,982 copies.

Ouch.
Is the new sales for Sorcerer? Or total since release, I wonder?

CyberGhostface
08-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Ouch.
Is the new sales for Sorcerer? Or total since release, I wonder?

The numbers for Sorcerer that I mentioned are from when it was first released.

turtlex
08-31-2009, 07:40 AM
turtlex comments - I will merge this with the General News Thread in a few days, but wondered about your thoughts everyone?!?

Disney to buy comic book powerhouse Marvel for $4B
By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES – The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is buying Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. That contrasts with Disney's recent successes among young women with such fare as "Hannah Montana" and the Jonas Brothers.

"It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with," Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at "full price."

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26 percent, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Disney last made a big purchase in 2006 when it acquired Pixar Animation Studios Inc., the creator of the "Toy Story" franchise, for $7.4 billion in stock.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said the latest acquisition combines Marvel's "strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters" with Disney's "unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties" and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

Marvel earned a net profit of $206 million last fiscal year, up 47 percent from a year earlier, on revenue of $676 million, as it took movie production in house instead of just cutting licensing deals.

Daghain
08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
....and, that's the death of Marvel.

Seriously, has Disney touched anything in the last several years and not fucked it up completely?

fernandito
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Seeing Marvel, Jonas Brothers, and Hannah Montana in the same body of writing is making my stomach turn. I hope this falls through, horribly.

razz
08-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, there goes the future.

John_and_Yoko
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM

Seriously, has Disney touched anything in the last several years and not fucked it up completely?

Pixar?

cozener
08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

And it will make future trips to Disney a lot cooler. Wouldn't it be great if they made a whole theme park around Marvel superheroes? :excited:

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
I just died a little bit inside:angry::pirate::pullhair::borg::(><

cozener
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
As long as Disney is smart enough to not try and change Marvel and just use it for what it is, it'll work out fine. But if they start trying to make Marvel comic books and movies more "child friendly" it'll be an absolute disaster.

turtlex
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I can't see Disney not coming in and Disney-fying everything about Marvel.

Ugh.

Good for the shareholders - but not good for Marvel fans, at least I don't think so.

Also, does this mean that future Marvel movies will be under the Disney banner and distribution?!?

I think Marvel already has a theme park - or their characters are liscensed to one.

Also... I hope they're covering Stan Lee in some of this. Disney will own all of Marvel's characters! That seems so wrong.

Damn... I so see Spider-man meet Shrek direct to DVD in the future.

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2009, 09:38 AM
As long as Disney is smart enough to not try and change Marvel and just use it for what it is, it'll work out fine. But if they start trying to make Marvel comic books and movies more "child friendly" it'll be an absolute disaster.

My thrice monthly spiderman comics are something I enjoy very much and I take it very seriously when the possibility of disney interfering with them happens and that is what disney BUYING marvel is, in the mid 90s marvel was fucked up because of hyper marketing, specators market and the FREQUENT interference of people whose job was marketing with the comics
and now theyre being bought by disney:panic: I think I'm gonna be sick

razz
08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Incredible Hulk: the Musical. >.>

Daghain
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM

Pixar?

Yes, Pixar. Worse once Disney got their mitts on it.

turtlex
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Disney has management issues, they have for years.

I'm really surprised that with Marvel doing so well ( publishing and films and television ), that the shareholders are buying into this. Granted $50 for a $32 stock is a nice profit, but I suspect a lot of dumping once that goes through.

Disney is not the super-power it once was.

Arthur Heath
08-31-2009, 10:50 AM
This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

And it will make future trips to Disney a lot cooler. Wouldn't it be great if they made a whole theme park around Marvel superheroes? :excited:

They have a theme park in FL. full of Marvel characters and rides.
If Hanna Montanna makes a cameo in my X-Men comics im going to pee on it.

mystima
08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
and also doesn't marvel do the dark tower, the talisman and the stand comics as well....i hope that they are not kiddiefied.

cozener
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I shall refrain from judging it until I see it go bad with my own eyes.

Daghain
08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Don't worry, it won't take long. :(

SigTauGimp
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
:O

*sigh*

Brainslinger
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
An article that might put things in perspective. (http://robio.livejournal.com/369767.html)

In short, it's quite possible Disney will simply allow Marvel to do their thing.

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
An article that might put things in perspective. (http://robio.livejournal.com/369767.html)

In short, it's quite possible Disney will simply allow Marvel to do their thing.

I really hope thats correct:(

SigTauGimp
08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Ya know, after reading that article, and calming down from the initial shock of the whole thing, I think I'll just go with the "wait and see" state of mind.

turtlex
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't know - a blog entry doesn't make me feel so great. If it were The Fool or WSJ, I'd feel better about it.

I just have a bad feeling about this.

John_and_Yoko
08-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Pixar?

I...don't agree. I think the earliest Pixar films were not as good, and they seem to be getting better over time--I think that's IN SPITE of Disney, not because of it, but I don't think it's gotten worse at all.

razz
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
THIS is in our future D: (made by a friend)
http://i87.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/33/94/deargo10.jpg

Sam
08-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Take some time and see what happens here y'all.

If Disney does get this through, they'll own Marvel. I wonder what'll happen to Universal's rides since they have an entire theme park (that competes with Disney World I might add) centered around Marvel heroes. That will mean Disney would own stock in one of their biggest competitors (or Universal will have a shitload of painting to do this winter). We shall see what happens from here.

For my money, I think things will be fine for a little while (several years maybe) then Disney will poke their nose in Marvel's work and force them to be more family oriented. Say good-bye to my favorite The Punisher. Say good-bye to the Max line completely. Say good-bye to the comics fans that have bought for years and years and are no longer kids. Say good-bye to Marvel's profits. Say good-bye to the new Marsney (Disvel?) and close the doors on some very old but very well loved characters. Say hello to the next people to step in and fill the void... DC anyone? Maybe Dynamite?

pixiedark76
08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
In my local comic shop I have already seen comics such as Finding Nemo and Cars! I was wondering why there were these types of comics! :orely: Oh well maybe I can give these comics to my 4 year old son and he can start collecting!:)

pixiedark76
08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
I really hope that Disney does not mess with any of the Stephen King comics! I don't want the Dark Tower Comics or The Stand Comics to be "politically correct" or "kid friendly" :nope:

I feel the end is near for anymore Stephen King comics!(At least from marvel) :(

Ruki
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
ick. why couldn't they buy budweiser instead?

Sam
08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Because Disney wanted to buy something good?:dance::cyclops:

jhanic
09-01-2009, 05:34 AM
and also doesn't marvel do the dark tower, the talisman and the stand comics as well....i hope that they are not kiddiefied.

Del Rey is doing Talisman, not Marvel.

John

Cloysterpete
09-01-2009, 09:41 AM
In my local comic shop I have already seen comics such as Finding Nemo and Cars! I was wondering why there were these types of comics! :orely: Oh well maybe I can give these comics to my 4 year old son and he can start collecting!:)

Those releases were nothing to-do with Marvel though. Boom does Incredibles and a few others so they'll just be moved over to Marvel. I expect the Disney comic range will now be expanded.

Back when Marvel had a Disney license (1994 - 1996) there were series based on Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast etc as well as books like The Disney Afternoon and Disney Comic Hits that featured loads of characters!. I've not read any of them honest.....

.......well ok so maybe I am a fan of the Little Mermaid :dance:

Bev Vincent
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Starting with the final arc of the DT series, all of the characters will have only four fingers. :panic:

I don't expect this to cause any changes for Marvel. Disney will probably not meddle with a good thing.

Kidd Ikarus
09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I just died a little bit inside:angry::pirate::pullhair::borg::(><

My feelings exactly.

wizardsrainbow
09-02-2009, 06:20 AM
ick. why couldn't they buy budweiser instead?

Because Budweiser was already bought a year ago by a Belgian company.

Woofer
09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't see Disney not coming in and Disney-fying everything about Marvel.

Ugh.

Good for the shareholders - but not good for Marvel fans, at least I don't think so.

Also, does this mean that future Marvel movies will be under the Disney banner and distribution?!?

I think Marvel already has a theme park - or their characters are liscensed to one.

Also... I hope they're covering Stan Lee in some of this. Disney will own all of Marvel's characters! That seems so wrong.

Damn... I so see Spider-man meet Shrek direct to DVD in the future.

I finally broke down and checked this out. I kept denying it, but the title kept popping up. 'orrible, just 'orrible.

In short, I agree with Pam's assessment.

birdandbear
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I used to like Disney characters. Now i dont.

turtlex
09-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Guy Ritchie to direct DC Comics adaptation "Lobo"
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Guy Ritchie has signed on to direct his first superhero movie, "Lobo," a big-screen translation of the DC Comics antihero.

Lobo is an blue-skinned cigar-chomping alien who is an interstellar mercenary and bounty hunter. The character is one of DC's more recent creations. He was introduced in the 1980s by creators Roger Slifer and Keith Giffen, and for a brief run in the 1990s was one of comicdom's most popular characters.

Lobo was meant to serve as a parody of violent heroes such as Wolverine and the Punisher. His stories feature a nihilistic streak tinged with dark comedy and excessive violence.

Silver Pictures is co-producing the Warners production with Weed Road. Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman, and Andrew Rona are producing. Don Payne wrote the script.

Doug Liman previously was attached to direct the film. Silver, who has been developing the project for the past 10 years, was hoping to reunite with Ritchie, with whom he just wrapped "Sherlock Holmes."

Ritchie -- whose films include "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," "RocknRolla" and "Swept Away," which starred his wife at the time, Madonna -- also plans to direct "The Gamekeeper," based on the Virgin Comics title.

razz
09-03-2009, 06:50 AM
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr82/Devavres/poohdeadpool.png

rosie real
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
*ahem*

winnie the pooh would never play with spiderman. i have it on excellent authority that he is afraid of spiders.

:P

Brainslinger
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
*ahem*

winnie the pooh would never play with spiderman. i have it on excellent authority that he is afraid of spiders.

[whisper mode]Psst! That's not spider-man![/whisper mode]

rosie real
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
*ahem*

[whisper mode]Psst! That's not spider-man![/whisper mode]

[whisper mode]who the fuck is it then? looks like spider-man. he's wearing spider-man's suit. :orely: [/whisper mode]

SigTauGimp
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
[whisper mode]Deadpool, daa'lin.[/whisper mode]

rosie real
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
[whisper mode]Deadpool, daa'lin.[/whisper mode]

[whisper mode] what in the name of all that's chocolate is "dead pool" [/whisper mode]
[whisper mode] (other than a really bad clint eastwood movie i mean)? :orely: [/whisper mode]

razz
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
toldja :P

Woofer
09-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Did someone say chocolate?

rosie real
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
shutup razzle. :shoot:

yes i did woofer. :D

Brainslinger
09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
[whisper mode]who the fuck is it then? looks like spider-man. he's wearing spider-man's suit. :orely: [/whisper mode]

OK, the questions answered now, but I wasn't sure who it was either (apart from not Spidey.) although he looked familiar. I see what you mean though, Deadpool's mask is kinda reminiscent of Spidey's suit. No web motif though.

As for not knowing who Deadpool is, that's not surprising. He's not all that well known. I've heard he makes an appearance in the new Wolverine film and they're planning on giving him his own movie at some point. A Disney film now. Heh.

rosie real
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
brainslinger - :huglove:

jhanic
09-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I think the success of this merger (as far as the Marvel Comics go) will depend on how much control Disney will take. Many mergers are at the upper-level management only, which would be okay. If Disney starts taking artistic control, that's could be a problem. Only time will tell.

John

Sam
09-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Very true. I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.

turtlex
09-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Okay, this just made my ( very early ) morning "Psst! That's not spider-man!" :rofl:

flaggwalkstheline
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM

OK, the questions answered now, but I wasn't sure who it was either (apart from not Spidey.) although he looked familiar. I see what you mean though, Deadpool's mask is kinda reminiscent of Spidey's suit. No web motif though.

As for not knowing who Deadpool is, that's not surprising. He's not all that well known. I've heard he makes an appearance in the new Wolverine film and they're planning on giving him his own movie at some point. A Disney film now. Heh.

"Steamboat Wadey" :drool:

Sam
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Steamboat WADEY????...ROTFFLMFAO!!!!

turtlex
09-08-2009, 02:33 AM
We laugh now... lets hope we laugh last on this one!

Brainslinger
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Joking aside, I honestly don't think we have much to worry about. I doubt they'll have much to do with the creative side of things with Marvel's work.

John_and_Yoko
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Joking aside, I honestly don't think we have much to worry about. I doubt they'll have much to do with the creative side of things with Marvel's work.

Why would they? They're not doing it because they don't like Marvel's output and think they can do better, they're doing it because Marvel IS popular and they want an unearned cut of the money. :P

idk, my bff jill?
09-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh, my friend told me about this the other day.
I think this next picture is relevant to the discussion.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kCOf1ksDLOk/SIohlaUy5cI/AAAAAAAABOk/L7yQaSdUn4I/s320/Spider_Mouse2.jpg

Anyway, I agree with Brainslinger; Disney probably won't do much to screw things up, but it came as a surprise.
To me, at least.

CyberGhostface
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Really? Except for Cars, all of their films have been fantastic.

rosie real
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
la paula that pic rocks! :D

and by the way - didn't disney buy miramax back in the day? and that wasn't ruined. at least i don't think it was. so. . . .

ETA: of course i thought some dude named dead pool was spiderman so wtf do i know? :wtf:

flaggwalkstheline
09-08-2009, 07:09 PM
ETA: of course i thought some dude named dead pool was spiderman so wtf do i know? :wtf:

deadpool is fairly modern character (created in the 90s) and is too violent and insane to become an icon the way spidey is ( his costume isa bit similar) though when it comes to sanity peter parker did trade his marriage to a supermodel in a deal with the devil to keep his frequently near death aunt alive, his grasp on reality has never ben that strong lol

turtlex
09-09-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure Miramax has done much since the Weinstein's left, honestly, and that was directly due to issues they had with Disney over creative control.

I just don't know - I think Paula may be more accurate with her photo than we all want to admit !

And... I can completely see Disney pushing any Marvel film with a great big fat - "Bring that in with a PG-13".

Brainslinger
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
And... I can completely see Disney pushing any Marvel film with a great big fat - "Bring that in with a PG-13".

I actually don't mind films toned to PG13 as long as effort is made with the storyline. PG13 still gives plenty of scope for a mature adult storyline. It can be pretty dark too. There'd be less lashings of ultra-violence, and rumpy pumpy (not that there was ever much of the latter in superhero stories. ;) ) but that's probably not a bad thing. It just might require the creators rethinking ways to get the point across more subtley.

turtlex
09-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Warner Bros shakes up DC Comics division
By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A Warner Bros executive guiding "Harry Potter's" box office magic will be taking control of Superman as well, the Hollywood studio said on Wednesday in a shake-up of its DC Comics brand.

In its reorganization of DC Comics, Warner Bros changed the division's name to DC Entertainment Inc and named movie executive Diane Nelson as president of the unit, with the goal of using DC's characters across film, television, video games and consumer products, Warner Bros said.

Nelson manages the studio's "Harry Potter" movie franchise. This year's "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" has made more than $917 million at worldwide box offices since its July release. Nelson will continue her role with "Harry Potter."

Warner Bros is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

turtlex
09-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Disney's Bob Iger Talks Marvel at D23
by Mark Cronan/CBR Fri, September 11th, 2009

The 4,000-seat arena was packed this Thursday at the Anaheim Convention Center for the opening remarks of Disney’s first annual D23 Expo, touted as the “Ultimate Disney Fan Experience.”

After an introduction to the D23 fan club and review of Disney’s global resources and reputation for creative storytelling, Disney President and CEO Bob Iger remarked on Disney’s recent acquisition of Marvel. “Now for anyone who hasn’t heard, just last week we announced that Disney plans to acquire Marvel Entertainment,” Iger said to rousing applause from the hardcore Disney fans attending the Expo from around the nation. “Marvel owns world renowned superheroes such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, X-Men, and Thor, and thousands of others. We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced, but we’re bringing together two groups of really talented and dedicated people whose creativity and passion have made both their companies successful over a long period of time.”

Iger addressed some of the reasons behind the acquisition, emphasizing the similarity between Disney and Marvel creators and stories. “Marvel stories are marked by great storytelling, creativity and artistic innovation. Does that sound familiar?” he said.

Speaking to some of the potential for Marvel characters to achieve more global appeal, Iger said, “Marvel characters transcend gender, age, culture, and geographical boundaries, and [do that] successfully on both traditional and on new media platforms. So the possibilities are endless for using Disney’s global resources to extend and increase the popularity of the Marvel brand and the characters that were brought to life by Marvel’s great creative team.”

Iger outlined the composition of those global resources. Disney can bring to bare quite a long list of affiliated companies and capital, including: The Walt Disney Studios and their dozen companies and divisions; theme parks and resorts including a large cruise line; consumer product sales and distribution, including high end collectibles, worldwide retail stores, and the world's largest publisher of children’s books and magazines; media networks in television, radio, publishing, and the internet; and most importantly a large fan base spanning 86 years of history.

Iger concluded his Marvel-related comments by again accentuating the similarities between the two companies: “Iconic, memorable characters are of course the Disney mainstay as well.”

Brainslinger
09-14-2009, 04:19 AM
We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced,

Okay, that bit might have proven my past comments wrong. Mind you, 'providing' could simply mean 'distributing' rather than 'creating'. I hope so anyway.

turtlex
09-14-2009, 04:31 AM
We’re incredibly excited because we’re not only providing the great characters and storylines that Marvel has always produced,

Okay, that bit might have proven my past comments wrong. Mind you, 'providing' could simply mean 'distributing' rather than 'creating'. I hope so anyway.

I hope so, too!
Please.

Sam
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Make that three!

Daghain
09-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Four!

CyberGhostface
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Sale estimates for #4 of Fall of Gilead have come in. It came in at #63 for the month of August, selling 35,607 copies.

turtlex
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, again, CG!! :grouphug:

I love knowing these numbers. Are you still getting the info from ICv2 ?

CyberGhostface
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep.

I wonder if the increasingly low sales has to do with Jae Lee's absence, and if they will bump up when he returns. The final issue for Treachery was at #27, and now we're all the way down to #63. I personally don't see buying or dropping a title based on the art alone, but...

Aaron
09-23-2009, 11:37 AM
It seems to me that the sales decreased as the story went further from the content originally written by King and into content written by Furth. I am sorry, but look at the extreme quality in the storytelling for Gunslinger Born and compare it to Treachery or Fall of Gilead. King has something special in how he tells a story; Furth doesnt have that. I wish she did.

Wuducynn
09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I think it's a combination of Jae Lee's absence and lack of mind-blowing excitement in the storytelling. I've got to say I've been disappointed at what seems like Furth falling back on cliche's in regards to certain characters, namely the Crimson King and Aileen.

CyberGhostface
09-24-2009, 05:15 AM
In all fairness, the trades are selling better from what I've seen.

Personally, I thought the Gunslinger Born was pretty weak too with how it handled the Susan/Cordelia storyline and Rhea's detoriation (among other things). The finale with Cordelia and Rhea plotting together for Charyou Tree and rallying the town was fantastic because everything prior with them had lead up to it. It was just a wonderful payoff. And in the comics it's just, "Meh, who are these people?"

I seem to be in the minority, but I still think "The Long Road Home" was the best. It was one of the few times when I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next issue.

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Initially, I was leaning away from Jae Lee's absense playing into it - but honestly, his art ( and his covers! ) are just so amazing, it's very possible that had something to do with it. He's got a great following of fans.

mikeC
09-25-2009, 09:24 AM
It could also be that The Long Road Home and Treachery didnt really have anything to keep people reading single issues, they could have easily been combined into one arc.
Fall of Gilead is actually pretty good and I look forward to the next series.
Sales could be down because of The Stand and SK fans might just give up on single issues and wait for the Trade since the novelty has worn down.
The Talisman looks abismal which might hurt sales for all SK comics.

markadie01
10-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Do you believe that with Disney owning Marvel that Marvel will change everything? I mean the dark tower is a pretty grim comic and I don't see Disney holding on to it, do you think they will discontinue the comic and never let use see the drawings of the Jake, Eddie, Oy, and Susannah?

cozener
10-02-2009, 06:58 AM
When I was in Disney World a couple of weeks ago I asked someone that worked there about the purchase when we were at Hollywood Studios. She was pretty excited because she said that the park doesn't get as much traffic as some of the others. She thinks that some Marvel characters are going to show up at Hollywood Studios and she was hoping that would make her park more popular.

idk, my bff jill?
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Do you believe that with Disney owning Marvel that Marvel will change everything? I mean the dark tower is a pretty grim comic and I don't see Disney holding on to it, do you think they will discontinue the comic and never let use see the drawings of the Jake, Eddie, Oy, and Susannah?

Whoa.
This worries me.
:scared:

turtlex
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I just think that Disney is famous for being DISNEY and for making sure everything DISNEY is known to be DISNEY.

I also think that Marvel won't have a choice but to change things. They're now owned by another company. If that company ( Disney ) didn't have some plans or expectations, I doubt they would have purchased them.

Brainslinger
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The current run of comics shouldn't be affected one bit by the takeover, even if Disney were to poke their noses into the creative side of Marvel* the fact remains that the current run of DT comics are all plotted out now. As for even more DT comics, well they needn't be overtly violent or sexy to tell a good story.

As for Eddie, Suze and Jake, while I'm interested in seeing a comic artists' take on the characters, I don't want to see a graphical representation of the current novels. New stories set between books... maybe, but I'd rather that were kept within the creative province of Stephen King himself.

* As I've said, I doubt they will have much to do with the creative side of Marvel, at least in the comics. (I'm not so sure about future film adaptations considering the sudden frenzy in getting new films off the ground). Even if they did increase the censorship of Marvel stories toning down the violence, etc, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly prudish about comics. I read 2000 AD for goodness sake, and some of the violence in that makes Marvel and DC look pretty tame (not including Vertigo and more horror niche stuff like Marvel Zombies). And the Marvel/DC stuff I tend to gravitate too tends to be rather dark like Swamp Thing and Constantine. But the point is, if the censorship is turned up, maybe it will give the creators more inclination to work on their plotting to get around it. To plot and draw decent stories with subtlety in other words. Not that they aren't in some stories, I don't intend that as a criticism. And not that a subtle story can't be violent two. I just mean that for those who decided to take a more heavy handed approach in shocking or titillating their readers, forcing their creators to take a more subtle approach could work to the comics benefit as long as the creators took that opportunity.

I'm referring to Marvel's future work as a whole here not the DT comics which, as I've said, likely won't be affected.

Woofer
10-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I just keep thinking of that King of the Hill episode with the rock and roll preacher.

Hank Hill observed: "Don't you see? He's not making religion better; he's making rock and roll worse."

turtlex
10-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Cool new book from Top Cow Comics!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1254434769.jpg

Top Cow Productions, Inc. proudly announced the October 2009 release of The Top Cow Bible.

The Top Cow Bible is a comprehensive collection listing all of Top Cow’s properties and key characters. The volume includes profiles, first appearances, key creators, trivia, and a top-secret “In Development” section. The Top Cow Bible packs everything well-known and loved by fans with a few gems slipped in that even a true fan may have missed all in one compact guide. Every Top Cow property listing suggests a corresponding “Must Read” trade paperback collection or single comic book issue serving as an introduction to the series for fans unfamiliar with the title.

“The Top Cow Bible is a culmination of seventeen years of Top Cow’s finest works,” said Publisher Filip Sablik. “We are thrilled to provide fans of our work with a resource to reacquaint themselves with familiar characters and to introduce themselves to newer properties.”

Top Cow Productions, Inc. has been a major player in the comic book entertainment market since Silvestri formed the company in 1992. Top Cow has created more widely recognizable properties than virtually any other comic book publisher that was established within the last twenty years. From its first publication of Cyberforce to current fan favorite titles such as Witchblade and The Darkness, The Top Cow Universe and its library of properties is one of the most intricate and varied in comics today.

Written by Scott Newman, Bryan Rountree, and Jennifer Chow, and featuring art by Marc Silvestri, Dale Keown, Stjepan Sejic, Kenneth Rocafort and many more, The Top Cow Bible is a full color, 176 page soft cover essential guide for navigating the Top Cow Universe and beyond. Retailing for $19.99, The Top Cow Bible was previously only available at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con. This must-have for all die-hard Top Cow fans will be available in comic book stores everywhere October 7, 2009.

Brice
10-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Expect to see Roland trying to climb Sleeping Beauty's castle instead of The Tower.

turtlex
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Founder of San Diego Comic-Con dies at 76

SAN DIEGO – Sheldon Dorf, who founded the world famous Comic-Con International comic book convention, has died. He was 76.

A longtime friend, Greg Koudoulian, says the Ocean Beach resident died at a San Diego hospital on Tuesday from kidney failure. He had diabetes and had been hospitalized for about a year.

Dorf, a freelance artist and comic strip letterer, founded Comic-Con in San Diego in 1970 after moving from Detroit.

Today, the convention draws 125,000 fans a year and is a major gathering for comic book fans, artists, writers and movie stars.

Koudoulian says Dorf was friends with comic greats such as Marvel artist Jack Kirby and "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz. He says Dorf was also instrumental in helping budding artists find audiences.

Patrick
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Rest In Peace, Mr. Dorf.

turtlex
11-17-2009, 07:11 AM
New Study Finds Comic Books Are Legitimate Kid's Literature (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091105-comics-legitimate-literature.html)

This is interesting reading.

Personally, I didn't discover comics until my teens, but I've introduced all the younger kids in my family to comics as soon as they could read.

turtlex
12-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Hey, Neil Gaiman fans in the Decatur Georgia area... Neil is appearing/signing on Monday, Dec 14th.

Check out the info at Little Shop of Stories (http://www.littleshopofstories.com/events.php).

Little Shop of Stories is maniacally thrilled to announce that Neil Gaiman will be speaking at co-host Agnes Scott College on Monday, December 14, 2009, at 6 p.m.

turtlex
12-10-2009, 11:08 AM
JH Williams III ( Detective Comics / Batwoman ) has been named Wizard Magazine's ARTIST of THE YEAR for 2009.

As a big fan of this Detective Comics / Batwoman arc - I'm thrilled to see this. He's truly an amazing artist.

turtlex
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey all you Green Lantern Fans.... Guess who's getting the Absolute treatment now?!?

Coming in April 13th, 2010. Absolute Green Lantern Rebirth.

Description : Hal Jordan was the greatest Green Lantern of them all, until his shocking fall from grace. Now witness his awe-inspiring redemption at the hands of writer Geoff Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver!

This amazing Absolute Edition collects the best-selling miniseries that relaunched one of DC Comics' greatest heroes and is the first part of a trilogy that spans THE SINESTRO COPRS WAR and BLACKEST NIGHT! This deluxe slipcased volume also includes Johns's original series proposal, the full script to issue #1, sketches from Van Sciver, and the breathtaking story "Flight" illustrated by acclaimed artist Darmyn Cooke.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QVcB4lzYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

List price is $75.00 but Amazon is selling for $47.25.

( if you buy through amazon, be sure to click through the Amazon banner at the bottom of any page - this way a donation is made to the Haven Foundation )

Sam
12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I think it's LONG overdue, but I'm not going to be getting this one. I think what DC has done to Hal Jordan is really bad. I thought his turn was well done and understandable in his grief at the loss of his home, friends, and family. Then they made him The Spectre for redemption. Then DC basically said "Forget about that" and brought him back to be a GL again. Oh, and it wasn't his grief that cause him to turn, it was this parasitic creature instead. That's all that was at fault, not Hal.

It's all crap. I dropped Green Lantern right after the Sinestro War storyline because of that whole parasitic creature bullshit. It just demeaned everything that had come before in my eyes. I loved the way the GLs hadn't forgiven Hal for what he did and how he was having to earn their trust back (though I thought it a bit odd he came back with no real mention of The Spectre). Then, all of a sudden, it ain't his fault. He was under the influence (a problem in Hal's life for many years, true, but here?). It wasn't really Hal. So that means when he relit the sun it was... who?

Anyway, I am reading the Blackest night series, but still don't buy GL. And not gonna buy this one either. I'm still glad that DC is doing it, but it'd be better if they did Emerald Twilight like this as well I think.

turtlex
12-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Okay, all you Frank Miller fans... finally, some info on the sequel to 300 !

Via CBR :
Previous reports had indicated that the new graphic novel, which would be used as the basis for another movie, is set between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea, shown at the end of 300.

However, according to the LA Times, the follow-up is now titled Xerxes -- Xerxes I of Persia is the antagonist of 300 -- and takes place 10 years before Thermopylae.

“It’s the Battle of Marathon through my lens,” Miller told the newspaper last week. “I’ve finished the plot and I’m getting started on the artwork.”

Among the criticisms levied against 300 is Miller's depiction of Xerxes as an inhumanly tall, bejeweled androgynous figure at the head of a near-demonic horde.

The Battle of Marathon marked the end of Persia's first invasion of Greece, triggered by the involvement of Athens and Eretria in revolts by several regions in Asia Minor against Persian rule. Xerxes' father Darius I was the ruler of Persia at the time of the conflict.

turtlex
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Really cool news for all Sandman/Neil Gaiman fans.

Via www.digitalspy.com : ( thanks Jamesey for the heads-up )

Vertigo announces new 'Sandman' editions
Monday, December 21 2009
By Hugh Armitage, Comics Reporter

Vertigo has announced new, re-coloured editions of its legendary series Sandman.

Next year, Vertigo will begin publishing the first books of Neil Gaiman's ten-volume series, remastered and corrected with new covers provided by Sandman cover artist Dave McKean.

The series was initially re-coloured for the four oversized Absolute Sandman editions.

turtlex
01-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Diamond Announces 2009 GEM AWARD Nominees
By Newsarama Staff

Diamond Comics Distributors opened up voting for the 2009 edition of their 19th annual Gem Awards ("Gemmies"), which are voted on by Diamond customers (i.e. Direct Market comic book store owners). Diamond describes the awards as embodying the "very best of what the specialty market has to offer", giving storeowners "a fantastic opportunity to honor those that have been instrumental in helping their businesses grow over the past year."

According to Diamond, nominees were chosen by a panel of Diamond product specialists based on, "their overall impact on the industry, while comics and related merchandise were chosen on the merits of their quality, creativity and sales performance over the past year."

Fans can't vote on the awards, but here is a look at some of the publishers and products nominated, which provide a glimpse at what storeowners considered some of the bigger 2009 success stories.

The award winners will be announced in early February...

2009 Comic Book Publisher of the Year Over 4%
Dark Horse Comics
DC Comics
IDW Publishing
Image Comics
Marvel Comics

2009 Comic Book Publisher of the Year Under 4%
BOOM! Studios
Dynamite Entertainment
Oni Press
Viz Media

2009 Backlist Publisher of the Year
Dark Horse Comics
DC Comics
Dynamite Entertainment
IDW Publishing
Image Comics
Marvel Comics

2009 Manga Publisher of the Year
Dark Horse Comics
DC Comics/CMX
Digital Manga
TOKYOPOP
VIZ Media

2009 Comic Book of the Year Under $3.00
Archie #600 (Archie)
Batman and Robin #1 (DC)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Vampires (Dark Horse)
Haunt #1 (Image)
The Boys #30 (Dynamite)
Wolverine #71 (Marvel)

2009 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00
Amazing Spider-Man #583 Obama Variant (Marvel)
Blackest Night #1 (DC)
Image United #1 (Image)
Irredeemable #1 (BOOM!)
Star Wars: Invasion #0 (Dark Horse)

2009 Licensed Comic of the Year
Buffy the Vampire Slayer #22 (Dark Horse)
Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash: Nightmare Warriors #1 (DC/WildStorm)
Stand: American Nightmares #1 (Marvel)
Transformers Ongoing #1 (IDW)

2009 Original GN of the Year
Asterios Polyp GN (Pantheon Books)
Book of Genesis: Illustrated by Robert Crumb HC (W.W. Norton)
Filthy Rich HC (DC/Vertigo)
Grandville HC (Dark Horse)
Richard Starks’ Parker: The Hunter HC (IDW)
Scott Pilgrim Volume 5: Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe (Oni)

2009 Reprint TP or HC of the Year
Bloom County Complete Library HC Volume 1 (IDW)
Final Crisis HC (DC)
Irredeemable TP Volume 1 (BOOM!)
Secret Invasion TP (Marvel)
The Boys TP Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now (Dynamite)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz HC (Marvel)
Umbrella Academy TP Volume 2: Dallas (Dark Horse)
Walking Dead Compendium TP Volume 1 (Image)
Watchmen TP (DC)

2009 Licensed TP or HC of the Year
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 TP Volume 4: Time of Your Life (Dark Horse)
Halo Uprising Premiere HC (Marvel)
Star Trek: Countdown TP (IDW)
World of Warcraft: Ashbringer HC (DC/WildStorm)

2009 Manga TP of the Year
Fruits Basket GN Volume 22 (TOKYOPOP)
Lucky Star GN Volume 1 (Bandai Entertainment)
Naruto TP Volume 45 (Viz Media)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project TP Volume 1 (Dark Horse)

2009 Anthology TP of the Year
Flight GN Volume 6 (Villard Books)
Pixu TP Volume 1: Mark of Evil (Dark Horse)
Popgun GN Volume 3 (Image)
Toon Treasury of Classic Children’s Comics HC (Abrams Comicarts)

2009 Indie GN of the Year
Alan Moore’s The Courtyard GN Color Printing (Avatar Press)
Eternal Smile GN (St. Martin’s Press)
Fahrenheit 451 GN (St. Martin’s Press)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen III: Century #1 – 1910 (Top Shelf Productions)
Love & Rockets: New Stories TP Volume 2 (Fantagraphics Books)

2009 Trade Book of the Year
Al Williamson’s Flash Gordon: Lifelong Vision of the Heroic (Flesk Publications)
Dawn: The Worlds of Final Fantasy HC (Dark Horse)
Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide Volume 39 (Gemstone Publishing)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies SC (Chronicle Books)

turtlex
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
FYI : Bringing this over from Calvin's.

The graphic novel of THE DARK TOWER (#7, in France), have recently changed of publisher (the former one was a new publisher managed by Panini & Soleil)
According to Panini which will publish it... the publication is postponed : to an unknown date... :-(

turtlex
02-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Author Patterson looks to Hollywood in comics deal

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Bestselling American author James Patterson is expanding into comic books under a new deal announced on Tuesday that is designed to help him boost his profile in Hollywood.

The author of adult and children's thriller novels will adapt two existing books, "Witch & Wizard" and "The Murder of King Tut," as well as develop an original new comic series, IDW Publishing and James Patterson Entertainment said on Tuesday.

"It extends his storytelling into a segment that doesn't necessarily read books," Steve Bowen, President of James Patterson Entertainment told Reuters of the comic series deal. "It (comics) is an incubator for Hollywood. It helps inspire filmmakers to see the potential in stories -- this is a test lab in some ways."

Bowen said the 62-year-old author, who has sold more than 170 million books worldwide, was looking to "more effectively" translate his books into films and attract movie studios.

He has sold the film rights to previous books that have been adapted to movies including "Kiss The Girls" and "Along came a Spider" from his Alex Cross detective series.

Under the comics deal, the main characters of siblings Whit and Wisty Allgood from "Witch & Wizard" will be adapted to explore new storylines to be released under five issues in the United States in May, said Ted Adams, CEO of IDW publishing.

Patterson's non-fiction adult thriller "The Murder of King Tut," will be adapted to a comic series using the same storyline for another five issues to be released in the United States in June. Both series will also be collected into two separate graphics novels.

Patterson will also develop an original new comic book series under the working title "Beer Belly and Fat Boy" to be released at a later undecided date -- an idea Patterson had already developed for a video game and movie possibly released in two to three years, Bowen said.

"He understands mainstream storytelling and entertainment like probably nobody else on the contemporary scene does," said Bowen. "We want to more effectively translate that into films."

Ted Adams, CEO of IDW Publishing, said Patterson would collaborate with artists to create the comic books. "The writing and story ideas will come directly from Mr. Patterson," he said.

Patterson has a current publishing deal to author 17 books until 2012 in a deal worth $150 million with Hachette Book Group and sells an average of 20 million books a year, according to Forbes.com.

CyberGhostface
02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Updated the list to the most current issue.

So to answer the one-million dollar question that you've all been asking--did the return of Jae Lee (who had been absent for the previous arc) improve the sales? Nope--it's at its lowest yet (even in comparision to Sorcerer) with an estimated 30,756 issues sold.

turtlex
02-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Many thanks!

Daghain
02-18-2010, 08:25 AM
It's possible people gave up after Jae stopped drawing and didn't come back, but really, I think the series just isn't going anywhere. I've lost some interest in it, but I'm a completist so I'll collect them all.

turtlex
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
It will be interesting to see how many ( if any ) people come back when The Gunslinger starts. That's an established KING story and might appeal to more people than Robin Furth's take on King's work.

Daghain
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that will be interesting to see.

turtlex
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
DC Names JIM LEE & DAN DIDIO Co-Publishers, GEOFF JOHNS CCO
by Newsarama.com / David Pepose

After months of speculation, DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson announced who would succeed outgoing publisher Paul Levitz as head of the comics giant.

DC's executive editor Dan DiDio and Wildstorm editorial director Jim Lee have been appointed co-publishers of the company, Nelson said. Meanwhile, current "Green Lantern" writer Geoff Johns was named the company's Chief Creative Officer.

"DC Entertainment's new executive team is a creative 'dream team,' with accomplishments and talent unrivaled in the business," Nelson said in a statement Thursday. "This announcement continues and underscores DC's legacy as the ultimate destination for creators."

The creators tapped for these top positions encompass a wide range of media and experience. DiDio, a former TV story editor, has served as DC's executive editor since 2002, overseeing numerous comic book events including the controversial "Identity Crisis," as well as the recent series "Final Crisis," which included the apparent "death" of Batman Bruce Wayne.

Meanwhile, Lee has served as both the editorial director of DC sister imprint Wildstorm as well as an exceedingly popular artist in his own right for the better part of 20 years. A founding member of the artist-built publisher Image Comics, Lee has drawn comic book icons such as Batman, Superman and the X-Men. Aided by the speculation boom of the 1990s, Lee holds the record of comics sold in North America, with his "X-Men #1" selling about 8 million copies in 1991.

"With our respective experiences and history with DC and our relationships with the world's best writers and artists, our mission is to reinvent DC Comics to prepare it for the challenges and opportunities in this quickly changing world," DiDio and Lee said in a joint statement.

As DC and Warner Bros.' film division have become closer in their hopes of replicating the billion-dollar success of 2008's "The Dark Knight," presumably having DiDio in New York and Lee on the West Coast acts as a strategic move. "With the Co-Publisher structure, it's going to allow us to be in many places at once, both literally and metaphorically," they said.

Finally, Johns is one of DC's most prolific writers, having retooled classic characters including Green Lantern, Superman and the Flash. Having worked on company blockbusters such as "Infinite Crisis," "52," and the current "Blackest Night," Johns has been one of comics' most bankable commodities, selling upwards of 250,000 comics a month. He has also written for TV's young Superman series "Smallville" and was named last year as a co-writer and producer on a "Flash" feature film, amongst others.

Discussing his responsibilities of his new position as DC's first-ever CCO, Johns said in a statement that "Diane's asked me to take our comic book world, embrace it (as I do) and use it to lead the creative charge on bringing it all to film, toys, television, video games, animation and beyond."

Comics have been no stranger to corporate shakeups for the past year -- DC's biggest rival, Marvel Comics, was recently purchased by the Walt Disney Company for more than $4 billion. Around the same time, Warner Bros. took a more active interest on its superheroic sister company, with Nelson taking the reins as DC Entertainment President only a week after Marvel's August announcement.

"I'm not looking to stick my nose into an area where I'm not needed," Nelson told the comic news site Newsarama shortly after being named for the position. "What I'm hoping to do, and what this move by the company is about is taking DC as an entity and as a holder of wonderful stories and characters and focusing on it, prioritizing it, and working more effectively with it throughout Warner Bros. and Time-Warner."

The full announcement from DC follows.

DC ENTERTAINMENT NAMES EXECUTIVE TEAM

Jim Lee and Dan DiDio Named Co-Publishers DC Comics

Geoff Johns to Serve as Chief Creative Officer

John Rood Named EVP, Sales, Marketing and Business Development
Patrick Caldon Named EVP, Finance and Administration"

(February 18, 2010 - New York, NY and Burbank, CA) DC Entertainment, founded in September 2009 to unleash the power of the DC Comics library of characters across all media platforms, has named its executive management team, including new co-publishers of DC Comics and a Chief Creative Officer, as well as heads of Sales/Marketing/Business Development and Finance/Administration. Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, made the announcement today.

The new senior executive team includes Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, who have been named Co-Publishers of DC Comics, and Geoff Johns, who will serve as Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment. Additionally, John Rood has been named Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Business Development, and Patrick Caldon will serve as Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration. Each of these executives will report directly to Nelson.

"DC Entertainment's new executive team is a creative 'dream team,' with accomplishments and talent unrivaled in the business," said Nelson. "This announcement continues and underscores DC's legacy as the ultimate destination for creators. We'll benefit enormously from the deep experience this team represents, while re-energizing the direction and focus of the company. I'm excited and honored to have each of them with me at the helm of DC Entertainment."

"With this new leadership team, Diane will be able to fully and respectfully integrate DC's brand and characters, not only as key content drivers in the film division, but across all of the businesses of Warner Bros. and Time Warner," said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. "I am very proud and excited about the accomplished executives who are charged with expanding this powerful library. They each have a diverse and complementary skill-set and are deeply committed to contributing to the DC Comics legacy."

Prior to his current post, Lee served as Editorial Director, where he oversaw WildStorm Studios and was also the artist for many of DC Comics' bestselling comic books and graphic novels, including "All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder," "Batman: Hush" and "Superman: For Tomorrow." He also serves as the Executive Creative Director for the upcoming DC Universe Online massively multiplayer action game from Sony Online Entertainment.

Lee is an award-winning comic book illustrator/creator/publisher who started his professional career at Marvel Comics where his work on the X-Men continues to hold the all-time sales record for single issue sales at eight million copies sold in one month. At Marvel, he also drew the Punisher and co-created many characters, the most popular being Gambit, featured in 2009's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" feature film. In 1992, he started his own production company, WildStorm Productions, and co-founded Image Comics, an independent comics company which quickly grew to become the number-three North American comics publisher. His most notable creations, "WildCats" and "Gen 13," saw life beyond comic books as a CBS Saturday morning cartoon and as a direct-to-video animated movie distributed by Disney, respectively. In 1998, he left Image Comics and sold WildStorm to DC Comics.

DiDio most recently served as Senior Vice President and Executive Editor, DC Universe, overseeing the editorial department for the DC Universe imprint, including the ongoing adventures of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and scores of heroes and villains. He also worked to develop new titles with the industry's premier writers and artists. At DC Comics, DiDio has spearheaded such bestselling projects as "All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder," "Identity Crisis," Green Lantern, Teen Titans and The Outsiders.

Before joining DC in 2002, DiDio was with Mainframe Entertainment, where he most recently served as Senior Vice President, Creative Affairs, overseeing the development, distribution, marketing and promotion of all Mainframe's television properties. Prior to that, he served as Executive Director of Children's Programming for ABC, where he was also a publicity manager, having started his television career at CBS, working in a variety of positions.

Johns builds on his current role at DC from being one of today's most prolific, popular and award-winning contemporary comic book writers with this new executive role. He is a New York Times bestselling author who has written highly acclaimed stories revitalizing Green Lantern, Superman, the Flash, Teen Titans, and the Justice Society of America for DC Comics.

Johns began his comics career creating and writing "Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E." for DC Comics while at the same time working with film director Richard Donner. After acclaimed runs on Flash, Teen Titans and the bestselling "Infinite Crisis" mini-series, Johns co-wrote a run on Action Comics with his mentor, Donner. Johns has also written and produced for various other media, including the acclaimed "Legion" and "Absolute Justice" episodes of Warner Bros. Television's "Smallville" and Adult Swim's "Robot Chicken" and "Titan Maximum." He also wrote the story of the DC Universe Online massively multiplayer action game from Sony Online Entertainment.

Rood returns to Warner Bros. after 10 years with the Disney ABC Television Group, where he most recently was Senior Vice President of Marketing, ABC Family. While at ABC, he also consulted for ABC News during the recent transitions at "Good Morning America" and "ABC World News with Diane Sawyer."

Prior to Disney, Rood worked for six years at Warner Bros. Consumer Products, negotiating promotional deals with national advertisers using Warner Bros.' properties, including the DC Comics characters. He has also worked in promotions for Equity Marketing on the Burger King account and in advertising for Leo Burnett on the McDonald's and Miller Brewing accounts.

Caldon most recently served as Executive Vice President, Finance and Operations of DC Comics and MAD Magazine. Before that, he served as Senior Vice President, Finance and Operations, and his other posts at DC include Vice President, Finance and Operations, and Controller, the position in which he joined the company in 1985. Prior to joining DC Comics, Caldon spent a decade at Warner Communications in corporate accounting and as Senior Vice President and CFO of the Cosmos soccer team (owned by Warner Communications at the time).

DC Entertainment, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment, is charged with strategically integrating the DC Comics business, brand and characters deeply into Warner Bros. and all its content and distribution businesses. DC Entertainment utilizes the expertise the Studio has in building and sustaining franchises to prioritize the DC properties as key titles and growth drivers across all of the Studio, including feature films, television, interactive entertainment, direct-to-consumer platforms and consumer products. The DC Comics publishing business is the cornerstone of DC Entertainment, releasing approximately 90 comic books through its various imprints and 30 graphic novels a month as well as continuing to build on its creative leadership in the comic book industry.

herbertwest
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
When did Jae stop working on the dark tower?
I remember reading it somewhere else too..

Brainslinger
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I was quite surprised that the last series is only five issues. I wonder if they shortened the series due to the low sales.

RIsanove
02-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi

Thanks for compiling this data. I had never seen it like that, it's pretty scary.

Keep in mind, though, that the sales of the hardcover are consistently more than decent. Much more. That's why the book keeps on going. A lot of people simply prefer to wait for the collected editions.

I've talked to retailers and The Dark Tower is an unusual book. Clients walk in, grab it, and don't even look at anything else except maybe the Stand. It's mostly bought by Stephen King readers who don't follow Comics, some don't even know exactly when it's coming out. I was freaking out when I saw a bunch of Fall of Gilead #1 on the rack when #3 had already come out. The guy told me that since the readers don't really follow the release schedule they walk in every few months and buy the back issues. In the end, they always sell out. I guess, by now, the novelty has worn out and the ubiquitous availability of the hardcover makes it a more convenient buy for the unhurried reader.

Believe me, I'm not the glass half full type, but the book is doing really well and Marvel was more than eager to sign on for another 30 issue run.

Finally, The Battle of Jericho Hill is only 5 issues long because the original contract with SK was for a total of 30 issues.
Gunslinger Born was 7 issues, Long Road Home: 5, Treachery: 6, Sorcerer:1, Fall of Gilead :6, BOJH: 5.
7+5+6+1+6+5=30 that's all.

Cheers
-richard

herbertwest
02-21-2010, 06:26 AM
I've read that there will be more issues... no?

Ari_Racing
02-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Richard, do you know if Marvel plans to release anything else related to the series? For example, action figures.

Thanks!

turtlex
02-21-2010, 09:39 AM
The Gunslinger is scheduled for 2010.

I haven't heard anything about merchandising ( t-shirts, action figures, etc ) .. however, there are a couple of posters available.

CyberGhostface
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Update for issue #2 of Jericho Hill--it sold 28,350 issues, coming in at #77 on the rankings. You know the drill by now...lowest sales yet for the title, etc, etc.

That being said...it came out in the same month as the first issue (missed the rankings the first time I checked) and at the end of said month, so take that as you will. Don't know if that's normal but thought it deserved mention. If it does any better this month I'll be sure to find out.

I will also be adding hardcover rankings from now on. However, as these too come from ICv2, I should note that these sales represent hardcovers sold at comic shops during the month of its' release only. So these don't include sales from Barnes & Noble or books bought at a later date. That's one of the prime reasons why I neglected to add them in the first place, as they don't give a full picture, but I thought people would be interested nonetheless.

turtlex
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much, CG! These are great to have.

CyberGhostface
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Updated for February with the third and fourth issues of Jericho Hill and the hardcover release for Fall of Gilead.

turtlex
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Courtesy of ICv2

This should give a general idea of how the comics have been doing since it began to now. For the record, these don't count issues bought in the months after the initial release. (I.E. a July issue bought in October)

Rankings indicate how well they're doing in comparision to the other titles released that month. So one issue can have a higher ranking than a later month's, but still do worse. For example, the final issue of The Fall of Gilead had a higher sales ranking than the previous one, but still had fewer issues sold.

I have decided to list the hardcover rankings according to ICv2 as well at the bottom. NOTE: These only include hardcovers sold in comic stores during the month of it's initial release. So they don't include hardcovers bought elsewhere and/or at a later date. So take that as you will.

Issue Sale Estimates

The Battle of Jericho Hill # 1 | 67 | 30,756
The Battle of Jericho Hill # 2 | 77 | 28,350
The Battle of Jericho Hill # 3 | 65 | 27,215
The Battle of Jericho Hill # 4 | 69 | 26,336

Hardcover Sale Estimates

The Gunslinger Born | 3 | 13,472
The Long Road Home | 5 | 8,014
Treachery | 2 | 5,602
The Fall of Gilead | 7 | 4,200

Wow. Fall of Gilead HC - only 4200 !!!

CyberGhostface
03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Keep in mind, though, that those are just the sales for the books sold in comic shops for its first month. It doesn't account for bookstore/online sales.

turtlex
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Keep in mind, though, that those are just the sales for the books sold in comic shops for its first month. It doesn't account for bookstore/online sales.

Oh, good. That's an excellent point.

I got my copies via Amazon.

Thanks for the clarification. :couple:

RIsanove
03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks for clarifying CGF.
Don't worry, Turtlex, the book is doing OK:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/bestseller/bestgraphicbooks.html?ref=bestseller

turtlex
03-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Richard - Thanks!

Looks like Fall of Gilead is listed 2nd on the New York Times Best Sellers List for GNs, and has been on the list for 5 weeks. That's great, actually.

I guess it all really depends on where the information comes from.

Brainslinger
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Yep. Most wait for the GN. Actually to think of it, for other comic collections I'm inclined to do that too. With the DT comics I went the individual issue route though, right from The Gunslinger Born to here. I keep meaning to get a binder (or 2. Or 3) for them so I've kinda got the best of both worlds.

turtlex
03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, with the DT comics - the individual issues have "bonus" materials that aren't included in the GNs, so to me it makes sense to buy the individual and then the GNs.

Not all comic arcs have any bonus material, so waiting on the GN isn't such a bad idea.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Channing Tatum approached for "Captain America"
By Borys Kit B

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Add Channing Tatum to the list of actors being considered for the role of Captain America.

The co-star of the recent weepie "Dear John" now joins soap star Wilson Blethel ("The Young and the Restless") and Mike Vogel ("She's Out of My League"), who have screen-tested, as well as Chris Evans ("Fantastic Four"), who has read for the part. Marvel Studios is also still keen on Garrett Hedlund ("Tron Legacy").

At this stage Tatum, who just wrapped filming on the Steven Soderbergh action flick "Knockout," has only been approached for the role and has not seen a script. The actor played Duke in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," but despite that movie doing modestly at the box office, fanboy reaction was muted and its viability as a franchise is set on neutral.

Tatum certainly has the heft for Captain America, but can he play the 98-pound weakling alter ego Steve Rogers was before taking the super-serum which turns him into a perfect human specimen? This could be Tatum's chance to pull a "Machinist" -- Christian Bale lost 60 pounds for the role in the 2004 drama which, while attracting some heat from health groups, received acclaim for his performance in that movie.

Casting for other roles in the Captain America movie is just as hot.

Hugo Weaving's deal is still being worked on, though not much movement has occurred since last week.

And the search is on for the female lead. Details for the part are being kept secret for now but it is rumored to be his flame Betsy Ross (ironically, named after the woman who is credited with creating the American flag). Keira Knightley was approached last week, but the studio is also looking at other actresses.

turtlex comments - Um... Is this movie going to be something like, Captain America The Early Years?!? Aren't all these actors being considered sort of young? Like in their early 20s? I'm not thrilled with any of these possibles.

RIsanove
03-16-2010, 05:32 AM
turtlex comments - Um... Is this movie going to be something like, Captain America The Early Years?!? Aren't all these actors being considered sort of young? Like in their early 20s? I'm not thrilled with any of these possibles.[/QUOTE]

Steve Rogers was born in 1917 and received the Super-Soldier Serum in 41. The movie takes place during the US involvement in the War in Europe so he'll be between 23 and 28.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks Richard!

I think the actors being considered are just ... well, sort of young and ( more importantly ) not exactly great actors at all.

I always thought Eric Bana would make a good Cap.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Two kiwi actors join "Green Lantern"
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – A pair of New Zealand actors have joined the cast of "Green Lantern," a superhero movie that happens to be directed by one of their compatriots.

Production on the 3D feature begins this week in New Orleans, with Martin Campbell directing Ryan Reynolds as the DC Comics crime-fighter.

Taika Waititi has come aboard as the best friend of Hal Jordan, a.k.a. Green Lantern, the test pilot who comes to wear the super-powered ring of the interplanetary police force known as the Green Lantern Corps.

Temuera Morrison, best known as Jango Fett from the "Star Wars" movies, is playing Abin Sur, a member of the Corps who is instrumental in Jordan becoming the superhero.

The movie is set for a June 17, 2011 release.

Waititi first gained attention for writing and directing the short movie "Two Cars, One Night," which earned him an Oscar nomination in 2005. His first feature, "Eagle vs. Shark," won him best screenplay at the US Comedy Arts Festival and landed him work directing episodes of "Flight of Conchords."

Waititi continued his indie career with "Boy," which after three years of development, premiered at Sundance in January. It was "Boy" that caught the attention of Campbell and Warners, which led to him being cast in "Lantern."

Morrison recently wrapped the New Zealand-made thriller "Tracker" with Ray Winstone.

turtlex comments : You know, I'm not sure even Jango Fett could save us from Ryan Reynolds playing Hal. ( yeah, I can't stand Ryan Reynolds ).

turtlex
03-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Chris Evans offered role of Captain America
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Chris Evans is one step closer to the role of Captain America.

Sources said the actor, who donned superhero garb in two "Fantastic Four" movies, has been offered the role in the Marvel feature film.

Marvel has not confirmed the development, and Creative Artists Agency, which represents the actor, declined to comment.

Evans' offer would encompass starring in up to three "America" movies plus "The Avengers" movies and appearances in several other Marvel movies. A possible complication is that Evans is committed to co-star in the Anna Faris romantic comedy "What's Your Number?," which, like "Captain America," is scheduled to shoot this summer.

The role of Captain America and his alter ego, Steve Rogers, has been one of the most heavily scrutinized parts by the industry, the media and comic book fandom in recent memory.

Evans wasn't in the initial round of actors being considered, which leaned toward newcomers. Michael Cassidy, Patrick Flueger, Scott Porter, Wilson Blethel and Mike Vogel, along with John Krasinski and Chace Crawford, were those testing and reading. Marvel also was interested in Garrett Hedlund.

Evans, who did not screen-test, already has a relationship with Marvel, having starred as Johnny Storm, the fire-covered superhero in the two "Fantastic Four" movies that Fox released in 2005 and 2007. There is some question as to whether fans would accept an actor who played a Marvel superhero just a few years ago, but given that the movies were not well embraced, with no one faulting the actors, Evans might have a clean slate with moviegoers as Captain America.

Joe Johnston ("The Wolfman") is directing "America," which shoots in England.

Evans has the DC Comics adaptation "The Losers" in the can and also appears in "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," Edgar Wright's adaptation of the popular Oni Press graphic novel series.

Sam
03-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Poor casting if he gets the role. He's too small for it. Someone who looks like an NFL linebacker is what that particular role needs rather than a lithe, pretty boy like Johnny Storm was. As for whether fans would accept him since he played Johnny, such rubbish to even ask it. Of course we would, provided he did a good job with it. Personally, I didn't think he brought much to the character and have doubts as to what he can really do if he has the entire load.

turtlex
03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Sam - I think they need someone slightly older, actually, rather than bigger. Of all those considered, I think I like Chris Evans the best ... of those offered.

As cheesy as the FF movies were - I liked them. Because, well, they embraced the cheese and ran with it. I liked that.

I think Eric Bana would have been a perfect Cap... but again, no one asked me!

fernandito
03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Honestly, I've never found the character / comics of Captain American appealing in the least. I might watch this movie in theaters if it ever sees the light of day and if there's nothing else at the time ...

Sam
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I understand about the someone older, but I would think it has more to do with when the story is to take place. The average age (roughly) of American servicemen in WWII was 25. It stands to reason that Captain America shouldn't be much older, maybe 30-35.

Steve Rogers was born on July 4, 1917 accrding to his Wikipedia entry. If that's true, that puts his age at the beginning of the US involvement at 24. By the end of WWII, he was 29, so 30-35 isn't unrealistic.

Personally, I haven't seen any actors that really personify the character well out of those that have been mentioned. I think Ryan McPartlin looks the part better than any of the others. He plays on the series Chuck as Chuck's brother-in-law "Captain Awesome". Just my thought though, no one's asked me.

Captain America has long been one of my favorite characters, so I'm really hoping Hollywood doesn't fuck this one up like they have his other film incarnations, and boy HAVE THEY EVER.

Brainslinger
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
When I see the name 'Chris Evans' this is who I think of (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrisevans/). I didn't know the Johnny Storm bloke had the same name. Hee, hee.

turtlex
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
:rofl:

Chris Evans V. Chris Evans!!

BBC Chris Evans does NOT win !!!

:rofl:

Patrick
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
... "America," which shoots in England.
:orely:

turtlex
03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Captain America. :lol:

turtlex
04-01-2010, 04:39 AM
It's official: Comic-Con 2010 is sold out

Comic-Con International has sold out, two months ahead of last year's event, after the remaining Sunday memberships were purchased late this afternoon.

The early sellout comes as no surprise, as four-day passes disappeared in November, while Saturday memberships were gone by mid-December, almost four months earlier than those for the 2009 convention. The other two days weren't far behind, with Friday selling out in January and Thursday going the way of the dodo just two weeks ago.

The news arrives as Anaheim and Los Angeles step up their efforts to lure Comic-Con from San Diego, where the event long ago outgrew the city's convention center, resulting in a capping of attendance at about 125,000.

Comic-Con's contract expires in 2012, but the San Diego Convention Center Corp. is seeking to extend the agreement an additional three years, in part, by securing commitments from three waterfront hotels to provide for free about 300,000 square feet of meeting space from 2013 to 2015. The San Diego Convention Center has 615,700 square feet of exhibit space, compared to the Los Angeles Convention Center's 720,000 square feet and the Anaheim Convention Center's 815,000.

There's also an effort by San Diego to increase the number of dedicated convention hotel rooms from 7,000 to 14,000, which would give the city a great advantage over Anaheim and L.A. (The former has about 4,500 hotel rooms within walking distance of its convention center, the latter just 2,000.)

Comic-Con begins July 21 with Preview Night, and continues through July 25.

Woofer
04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1002/c-h-o-i-c-e-s-batman-superman-christmas-wonder-woman-justice-demotivational-poster-1267049269.jpg

Tito_Villa
04-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I've had a quick look for the answer to this question and i couldn't find it anywhere, so whats people's opinions as i have quite a few comics now and they are all just stuck together on a bottom shelf and im sure there must be a better way to see them displayed!?!?!!?

Daghain
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I have slipcases for mine that I bought from the Overlook Connection. (http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/) They fit all the comics nicely and look good on a shelf. I'll try and remember to post up a couple pics when I get home tonight.

turtlex
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Tito - Another option, besides the slipcase is to buy individual frames for the comics.

I have several signed comics that I purchased frames for and have hanging up.

I use a "kit" sold by BagsUnlimited (http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?cat=433&gclid=COnktY3o7aACFeg85QodEFQDBg) which features a archival matte and conservation grade acrylic front sheet, which helps block harmful UV. They cost about $35 each. Kind of pricey, but worth it for me.

HOWEVER - a comic should never be displayed in direct sunlight. Never.

Another framing option is FramesByMail, but again - never display in direct sunlight.

WeDealInLead
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I've had a quick look for the answer to this question and i couldn't find it anywhere, so whats people's opinions as i have quite a few comics now and they are all just stuck together on a bottom shelf and im sure there must be a better way to see them displayed!?!?!!?

What's quite a few? I put my single issues in a standard longbox. I don't have them on display, that is reserved for trades and graphic novels. I'm one of those suckers who buys single issues as they come out and then also a collection, if at all possible in hardcover.

I haven't framed any yet but if I do they would have to be if not rare than somehow important to me and definitely black and white.

Tito_Villa
04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Errrrrrr well i have most of the Dark Tower series with most of the varients/sketch issues so quite a few :) thanks for the ideas everyone because at the moment they are all just stored on the bottom shelf where i can't see any of the front covers!

turtlex
04-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Tito - Please please please tell me that at the very minimum, you have them in bags with boards, right?!?!

You can get yourself a comic half-box for storage, but it wouldn't be for display.

mattv2099
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I intend to put my DT comic collection in the bottom shelf of a barrister bookcase. This particular shelf will have a solid wood door that won't let any light in.

Currently they are in a long box from the comic shop and hidden away from view in my closet.

turtlex
04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Matty - that sounds fine. They're bagged and boarded, yes?

If you have a set or two - the slipcases from Overlook that Daggers mentioned above are pretty cool looking on a bookshelf.

mattv2099
04-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Matty - that sounds fine. They're bagged and boarded, yes?

If you have a set or two - the slipcases from Overlook that Daggers mentioned above are pretty cool looking on a bookshelf.

All but a few.

I went to the comic shop recently to get bags and boards for my DT sketch books. I thought 30 would do it... I was wrong - LOL.

So maybe 5 Dt sketchbooks I still need to bag and board. All other comics I buy come with bags and boards except of course the CGC graded comics.

Tito_Villa
04-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Yup all bagged & boarded :D so no worries there, i think i might have to look at these slipcases and i will have to have a look through to see if there are any i want framing!

Patrick
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
The vast majority of my comics are in comic book longboxes - all bagged and boarded.

My signed comic books are also bagged and boarded, but are stored in cheap cardboard magazine holder things in my bookcase. I need to replace these with some sort of appropriate comic book slipcase.

I have slipcases for mine that I bought from the Overlook Connection. (http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/) They fit all the comics nicely and look good on a shelf. I'll try and remember to post up a couple pics when I get home tonight.
Daghain, please post photos if you get a chance. I can't tell anything from Overlook's website.

If anyone has any of the Locke & Key slipcases, I would be especially interested in seeing those as well.

Thanks.

turtlex
04-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Patrick - They make a "short box", also sometimes called a "half box", for bagged/boarded comics as well.

I prefer the Short Box ( that's what she said ) just because the regular (long) boxes are so darn heavy when they're full, I can barely lift them.

turtlex
04-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Judge tosses lawsuit against Marvel, Stan Lee

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A Manhattan federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Marvel Entertainment Inc and comic book creator Stan Lee over the ownership of famous characters including Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four and X-Men.

The $750 million lawsuit filed on behalf of Stan Lee Media Inc alleged that shareholders were harmed when Lee in 1998 transferred rights to the characters to Marvel, which is now owned by Walt Disney Co. Stan Lee Media filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001.

In a March 31 ruling, U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty noted that litigation over the characters had lasted nearly a decade in various state and federal courts in New York, California and Colorado, and included a securities class-action settlement.

"It is now time to call a halt," Crotty wrote in his 14-page opinion.

The judge concluded that the shareholders, Jose Abadin and Christopher Belland, lacked standing to sue because they did not acquire their Stan Lee Media shares until 1999, more than a year after the alleged illegal conduct.

Crotty also said the shareholders waited too long by not filing their latest lawsuit until January 2009, saying they "cannot wait a decade to enforce their rights."

A lawyer for the plaintiffs did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Monday.

Disney acquired Marvel on December 31 for about $4.2 billion in cash and stock.

The case is Abadin et al v. Marvel Entertainment Inc et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-00715.

Daghain
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
The vast majority of my comics are in comic book longboxes - all bagged and boarded.

My signed comic books are also bagged and boarded, but are stored in cheap cardboard magazine holder things in my bookcase. I need to replace these with some sort of appropriate comic book slipcase.

Daghain, please post photos if you get a chance. I can't tell anything from Overlook's website.

If anyone has any of the Locke & Key slipcases, I would be especially interested in seeing those as well.

Thanks.

I'll get some up tonight. :)

I'm waiting for the ones for The Stand right now. The Overlook is SLOW in getting stuff done; they've been working on these since the comics came out. They'll be cool, though - the Stand logo will go across all the boxes for all the arcs. :D

Daghain
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Okay, here you go. The pictures don't really do them justice; the foil embossing is pretty cool. I think you'd have room to bag and board the comics and they'd still fit. (Oh, and Miss Nosy Pants couldn't help herself LOL).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/IMG_1394.jpg?t=1270603165

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/IMG_1396.jpg?t=1270603208

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/IMG_1398.jpg?t=1270603226

Patrick
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Daghain!

Does anyone know if they all still fit in the slipcases when bagged and boarded? Seems like 6 or 7 boards would add a bit of thickness.

Daghain
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't know for sure, but I *think* they would. you can email Dave at Overlook; I'd assume he'd know.

I DO know the slipcase for the first arc is significantly wider than 2 or 3 - no help there, I'm sure. :D

Tito_Villa
04-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Wow those look great, i will have to see about getting some!

turtlex
04-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm pretty sure they would fit with the bags/boards ...

... and thank you Pixel for making a surprise guest appearance over here in the Comic Tower!

:grouphug:

Daghain
04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
:lol:

I could not get her to leave those alone, so I gave up and took the picture anyway. Now you know why her nickname is "Nosy Nora". :lol:

Patrick
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Does anyone have the Locke & Key slipcases? I would love to see photos and feedback about those.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Those DT slipcases look great. I wish the first one would say just 1 and not 1-7.

Daghain
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, me too. I think the game plan changed somewhere down the line for those.

turtlex
04-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Joss Whedon directing "Avengers" for Marvel
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Joss Whedon is in final negotiations to direct the movie version of Marvel's all-star super-hero team "The Avengers."

Whedon's name first surfaced on Web site iesb.net in early April as being on the shortlist of directors Marvel was considering for the gig. He quickly and quietly became the only candidate, with reports surfacing Tuesday he was in talks.

Marvel had no comment.

"The Avengers" is the culmination of Marvel's movies and the storylines featuring the company's individual heroes: Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor; other Marvel comic book mainstays include the Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, the Vision and Hawkeye although it remains to be seen which of those characters will make the cut.

Marvel's dealmaking with its main actors in those previous movies provided for their inclusion in starring roles in "Avengers." That means Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evan (Captain America) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) are expected to take part.

The involvement of Ed Norton, who portrayed Bruce Banner/Hulk, is less clear; the last Hulk movie, released by Universal in 2008, saw the actor clash with the company during post-production, leaving future association in doubt.

Marvel executives have a busy time ahead: "Iron Man 2" opens May 7; they are in production on "Thor" in New Mexico; and "Captain America" begins shooting in England this summer.

"Avengers" is expected to begin shooting in early 2011. Paramount, which has handled several of the company's recent pictures, presumably will distribute, though Marvel itself is now wholly owned by Disney.

Whedon is well-regarded in the comic community for creating "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," spin-off show "Angel," and cult sci-fi show "Firefly," and he directed many of the shows' episodes. The one feature he directed -- the big-screen version of "Firefly" called "Serenity" -- received good reviews but failed commercially.

Hiring Whedon as the director of "Avengers" would continue Marvel's out-of-the-box thinking when choosing directors (and actors, for that matter). Jon Favreau, now a superstar director thanks to the first "Iron Man," was considered a fish-out-of-water choice for that movie, having previously shot the well-reviewed box-office bomb "Zathura."

turtlex
04-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Some big news ( at least for me and other Batwoman/Kate Kane fans ) :

J.H. Williams III To Drive "Batwoman" Ongoing (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25719)

Batwoman is getting her own title, starting in July, with JHW3 doing the art and co-writing.

turtlex
04-15-2010, 03:49 AM
I'll eventually roll this into the News Thread, but thought it would be a good avenue to discuss some very good comic titles.

Laura Martin has a couple of nominations for her work including The Stand: American Nightmares!

Listed below are the 2010 nominees - The results in all categories will be announced in a gala awards ceremony on the evening of Friday, July 23 at Comic-Con International.

The 2010 Will Eisner
Comic Industry Award Nominees

Best Short Story
"Because I Love You So Much," by Nikoline Werdelin, in From Wonderland with Love: Danish Comics in the 3rd Millennium (Fantagraphics/Aben maler)
"Gentleman John," by Nathan Greno, in What Is Torch Tiger? (Torch Tiger)
"How and Why to Bale Hay," by Nick Bertozzi, in Syncopated (Villard)
"Hurricane," interpreted by Gradimir Smudja, in Bob Dylan Revisited (Norton)
"Urgent Request," by Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim, in The Eternal Smile (First Second)

Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
Brave & the Bold #28: "Blackhawk and the Flash: Firing Line," by J. Michael Straczynski and Jesus Saiz (DC)
Captain America #601: "Red, White, and Blue-Blood," by Ed Brubaker and Gene Colan (Marvel)
Ganges #3, by Kevin Huizenga (Fantagraphics)
The Unwritten #5: "How the Whale Became," by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)
Usagi Yojimbo #123: "The Death of Lord Hikiji" by Stan Sakai (Dark Horse)

Best Continuing Series
Fables, by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, Andrew Pepoy et al. (Vertigo/DC)
Irredeemable, by Mark Waid and Peter Krause (BOOM!)
Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)
The Unwritten, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)
The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard (Image)

Best Limited Series or Story Arc
Blackest Night, by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis, and Oclair Albert (DC)
Incognito, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Marvel Icon)
Pluto: Urasawa X Tezuka, by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki (VIZ Media)
Wolverine #66-72 and Wolverine Giant-Size Special: "Old Man Logan," by Mark Millar, Steve McNiven, and Dexter Vines (Marvel)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young (Marvel)

Best New Series
Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Image)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick, art by Tony Parker (BOOM!)
Ireedeemable, by Mark Waid and Peter Krause (BOOM!)
Sweet Tooth, by Jeff Lemire (Vertigo/DC)
The Unwritten, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)

Best Publication for Kids
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute, by Jarrett J. Krosoczeka (Knopf)
The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook, by Eleanor Davis (Bloomsbury)
Tiny Tyrant vol. 1: The Ethelbertosaurus, by Lewis Trondheim and Fabrice Parme (First Second)
The TOON Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, edited by Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly (Abrams ComicArts/Toon)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz hc, by L. Frank Baum, Eric Shanower, and Skottie Young (Marvel)

Best Publication for Teens
Angora Napkin, by Troy Little (IDW)
Beasts of Burden, by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson (Dark Horse)
A Family Secret, by Eric Heuvel (Farrar Straus Giroux/Anne Frank House)
Far Arden, by Kevin Cannon (Top Shelf)
I Kill Giants tpb, by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura (Image)

Best Humor Publication
Drinky Crow's Maakies Treasury, by Tony Millionaire (Fantagraphics)
Everybody Is Stupid Except for Me, And Other Astute Observations, by Peter Bagge (Fantagraphics)
Little Lulu, vols. 19-21, by John Stanley and Irving Tripp (Dark Horse Books)
The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet the Muppets, by Roger Langridge (BOOM Kids!)
Scott Pilgrim vol. 5: Scott Pilgrm vs. the Universe, by Brian Lee O'Malley (Oni)

Best Anthology
Abstract Comics, edited by Andrei Molotiu (Fantagraphics)
Bob Dylan Revisited, edited by Bob Weill (Norton)
Flight 6, edited by Kazu Kibuishi (Villard)
Popgun vol. 3, edited by Mark Andrew Smith, D. J. Kirkbride, and Joe Keatinge (Image)
Syncopated: An Anthology of Nonfiction Picto-Essays, edited by Brendan Burford (Villard)
What Is Torch Tiger? edited by Paul Briggs (Torch Tiger)

Best Digital Comic
Abominable Charles Christopher, by Karl Kerschl,
www.abominable.cc
Bayou, by Jeremy Love,
http://zudacomics.com/bayou
The Guns of Shadow Valley, by David Wachter and James Andrew Clark,
www.gunsofshadowvalley.com
Power Out, by Nathan Schreiber,
www.act-i-vate.com/67.comic
Sin Titulo, by Cameron Stewart,
www.sintitulocomic.com/

Best Reality-Based Work
A Drifting Life, by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (Drawn & Quarterly)
Footnotes in Gaza, by Joe Sacco (Metropolitan/Holt)
The Impostor's Daughter, by Laurie Sandell (Little, Brown)
Monsters, by Ken Dahl (Secret Acres)
The Photographer, by Emmanuel Guibert, Didier Lefèvre, and Frédéric Lemerier (First Second)
Stitches, by David Small (Norton)

Best Adaptation from Another Work
The Book of Genesis Illustrated, by R. Crumb (Norton)
Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation, adapted by Michael Keller and Nicolle Rager Fuller (Rodale)
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, adapted by Tim Hamilton (Hill & Wang)
Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter, adapted by Darwyn Cooke (IDW)
West Coast Blues, by Jean-Patrick Manchette, adapted by Jacques Tardi (Fantagraphics)

Best Graphic Album-New
Asterios Polyp, by David Mazzuccheilli (Pantheon)
A Distant Neighborhood (2 vols.), by Jiro Taniguchi (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
The Book of Genesis Illustrated, by R. Crumb (Norton)
My mommy is in America and she met Buffalo Bill, by Jean Regnaud and émile Bravo (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
The Photographer, by Emmanuel Guibert, Didier Lefèvre, and Frédéric Lemerier (First Second)

Best Graphic Album-Reprint
Absolute Justice, by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger, and Doug Braithewaite (DC)
A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge, by Josh Neufeld (Pantheon)
Alec: The Years Have Pants, by Eddie Campbell (Top Shelf)
Essex County Collected, by Jeff Lemire (Top Shelf)
Map of My Heart: The Best of King-Cat Comics & Stories, 1996-2002, by John Porcellino (Drawn & Quarterly)

Best Archival Collection/Project-Strips
Bloom County: The Complete Library, vol. 1, by Berkeley Breathed, edited by Scott Dunbier (IDW)
Bringing Up Father, vol. 1: From Sea to Shining Sea, by George McManus and Zeke Zekley, edited by Bruce Canwell (IDW)
The Brinkley Girls: The Best of Nell Brinkley's Cartoons 1913-1940, edited by Trina Robbins (Fantagraphics)
Gahan Wilson: 50 Years of Playboy Cartoons, by Gahan Wilson, edited by Gary Groth (Fantagraphics)
Prince Valiant, vol. 1: 1937-1938, by Hal Foster, edited by Kim Thompson (Fantagraphics)
Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz, by L. Frank Baum, Walt McDougall, and W. W. Denslow, edited by Peter Maresca (Sunday Press)

Best Archival Collection/Project-Comic Books
The Best of Simon & Kirby, by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, edited by Steve Saffel (Titan Books)
Blazing Combat, by Archie Goodwin et al., edited by Gary Groth (Fantagraphics)
Humbug, by Harvey Kurtzman et al., edited by Gary Groth (Fantagraphics)
The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures deluxe edition, by Dave Stevens, edited by Scott Dunbier (IDW)
The TOON Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, edited by Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly (Abrams ComicArts/Toon)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material
My mommy is in America and she met Buffalo Bill, by Jean Regnaud and Émile Bravo (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
Tiny Tyrant vol. 1: The Ethelbertosaurus, by Lewis Trondheim and Fabrice Parme (First Second)
West Coast Blues, by Jean-Patrick Manchette, adapted by Jacques Tardi (Fantagraphics)
Years of the Elephant, by Willy Linthout (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material-Asia
The Color Trilogy, by Kim Dong Haw (First Second)
A Distant Neighborhood (2 vols.), by Jiro Taniguchi (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
Oishinbo a la Carte, written by Tetsu Kariya and illustrated by Akira Hanasaki (VIZ Media)
Pluto: Urasawa X Tezuka, by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki (VIZ Media)
Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)

Best Writer
Ed Brubaker, Captain America, Daredevil, Marvels Project (Marvel) Criminal, Incognito (Marvel Icon)
Geoff Johns, Adventure Comics, Blackest Night, The Flash: Rebirth, Superman: Secret Origin (DC)
James Robinson, Justice League: Cry for Justice (DC)
Mark Waid, Irredeemable, The Incredibles (BOOM!)
Bill Willingham, Fables (Vertigo/DC)

Best Writer/Artist
Darwyn Cooke, Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter (IDW)
R. Crumb, The Book of Genesis Illustrated (Norton)
David Mazzuccheilli, Asterios Polyp (Pantheon)
Terry Moore, Echo (Abstract Books)
Naoki Urasawa, Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Pluto: Urasawa X Tezuka (VIZ Media)

Best Writer/Artist-Nonfiction
Reinhard Kleist, Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness (Abrams ComicArts)
Willy Linthout, Years of the Elephant (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
Joe Sacco, Footnotes in Gaza (Metropolitan/Holt)
David Small, Stitches (Norton)
Carol Tyler, You'll Never Know: A Good and Decent Man (Fantagraphics)

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
Michael Kaluta, Madame Xanadu #11-15: "Exodus Noir" (Vertigo/DC)
Steve McNiven/Dexter Vines, Wolverine: Old Man Logan (Marvel)
Fiona Staples, North 40 (WildStorm)
J. H. Williams III, Detective Comics (DC)
Danijel Zezelj, Luna Park (Vertigo/DC)

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
É Bravo, My mommy is in America and she met Buffalo Bill (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
Mauro Cascioli, Justice League: Cry for Justice (DC)
Nicolle Rager Fuller, Charles Darwin on the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation (Rodale Books)
Jill Thompson, Beasts of Burden (Dark Horse); Magic Trixie and the Dragon (HarperCollins Children's Books)
Carol Tyler, You'll Never Know: A Good and Decent Man (Fantagraphics)

Best Cover Artist
John Cassaday, Irredeemable (BOOM!); Lone Ranger (Dynamite)
Salvador Larocca, Invincible Iron Man (Marvel)
Sean Phillips, Criminal, Incognito (Marvel Icon); 28 Days Later (BOOM!)
Alex Ross, Astro City: The Dark Age (WildStorm/DC); Project Superpowers (Dynamite)

Best Coloring
Steve Hamaker, Bone: Crown of Thorns (Scholastic); Little Mouse Gets Ready (Toon)
Laura Martin, The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (IDW); Thor, The Stand: American Nightmares (Marvel)
Alex Sinclair, Blackest Night, Batman and Robin (DC)
Dave Stewart, Abe Sapien, BPRD, The Goon, Hellboy, Solomon Kane, Umbrella Academy, Zero Killer (Dark Horse); Detective Comics (DC); Luna Park (Vertigo)

Best Lettering
Brian Fies, Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow? (Abrams ComicArts)
Tom Orzechowski, Savage Dragon (Image); X-Men Forever (Marvel)
Richard Sala, Cat Burglar Black (First Second); Delphine (Fantagraphics)
Adrian Tomine, A Drifting Life (Drawn & Quarterly)

Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism
Alter Ego, edited by Roy Thomas (TwoMorrows)
ComicsAlliance, edited by Laura Hudson www.comicsalliance.com
Comics Comics, edited by Timothy Hodler and Dan Nadel
(www.comicscomicsmag.com) (PictureBox)
The Comics Journal, edited by Gary Groth, Michael Dean, and Kristy Valenti (Fantagraphics)
The Comics Reporter, produced by Tom Spurgeon
(www.comicsreporter.com)

Best Comics-Related Book
Alan Moore: Comics as Performance, Fiction as Scalpel, by Annalisa Di Liddo (University Press of Mississippi)
The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics, by Denis Kitchen and Paul Buhle (Abrams ComicArts)
The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga, by Helen McCarthy (Abrams ComicArts)
Manga Kamishibai: The Art of Japanese Paper Theater, by Eric P. Nash (Abrams ComicArts)
Will Eisner and PS Magazine, by Paul E. Fitzgerald (Fitzworld.US)

Best Publication Design
Absolute Justice, designed by Curtis King and Josh Beatman (DC)
The Brinkley Girls, designed by Adam Grano (Fantagraphics)
Gahan Wilson: 50 Years of Playboy Cartoons, designed by Jacob Covey (Fantagraphics)
Life and Times of Martha Washington, designed by David Nestelle (Dark Horse Books)
Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz, designed by Philippe Ghielmetti (Sunday Press)
Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow? designed by Neil Egan and Brian Fies (Abrams ComicArts)

turtlex
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
'BETTY or VERONICA...or KEVIN?': First gay character enrolls at Archie's Riverdale

The way Archie Comics artist-writer Dan Parent tells it, Riverdale High is getting ever more diverse.

Archie's already dating Valerie from Josie and the Pussycats. The House of Archie is discussing a "Jersey Shore" influence. And according to Parent, a new gay character will enroll at Riverdale later this year.

Suddenly the ol' "Betty or Veronica?" question just got potentially more interesting. (And a lot more like a story-line from, say, the '90s film "Clueless.")

With some comics, this would qualify as non-news. But in the historically less-diverse world of Riverdale, in the longtime land of white-walled jalopies, this registers as notable.

"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books," Archie Comics honcho Jon Goldwater said in announcing the news.

In an interview (clip below), Parent said that the comic is striving for more diversity and that the new character, a "burgeoning journalist" named Kevin Keller, reportedly will appear in Veronica Comics (#202) in September, in an issue titled "Isn't It Bromantic?"

"Veronica's got the hots for this guy and can't understand why he's not interested in her ... and, uh, he's gay," Parent says in the interview.

Adds the artist, about any other potential gay characters (Jughead? Perhaps Moose?): "Traditional Riverdale characters won't be coming out."

turtlex
05-11-2010, 02:57 AM
turtlex comments : Sad news to deliver today. A giant in comic/illustration has passed.
Frank Frazetta : May He Rest In Peace.

Renowned fantasy artist Frank Frazetta, 82, dies

Fantasy artist Frank Frazetta, who created iconic images of Conan the Barbarian and other characters, died Monday. He was 82.

PHILADELPHIA — Pioneering fantasy artist Frank Frazetta died Monday in a Fort Myers, Fla., hospital, a manager said. He was 82.

Frazetta had been out to dinner with his daughters Sunday but suffered a stroke at his Boca Grande home later that night and was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital, manager Rob Pistella said. A hospital spokeswoman confirmed the death, as did his daughter Heidi Frazetta Grabin.

"He's going to be remembered as the most renowned fantasy illustrator of the 20th Century," Pistella said.

Frazetta created covers and illustrations for more than 150 books and comic books, along with album covers, movie posters and original paintings. His illustrations of Conan the Barbarian, Tarzan, Vampirella and other characters influenced many later artists.

His children have fought over an estate estimated to be worth tens of millions of dollars, filing lawsuits in Pennsylvania and Florida.

His son, Alfonso Frank Frazetta, 52, was charged in December with using a backhoe to break into the artist's museum in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains and trying to remove 90 paintings insured for $20 million. The charges were dropped late last month after two days of mediation produced a truce.

"It is resolved, but there's always new issues that can come out," daughter Heidi Frazetta Grabin said.

Frazetta had a history of strokes, but appeared well and was still painting, she and Pistella said.

Grabin and her sister, Holly Frazetta Taylor, dined out with their father Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day, then walked with him on Englewood Beach.

"We had a lovely time, and he just talked about how beautiful the sunset was, and how his next studio was going to have windows around it overlooking the Gulf," Grabin said.

Alfonso Frank Frazetta did not return a message Monday.

A lawsuit he had filed in Florida alleged that his sisters and brother Billy were plotting to wrest control of the family business and fortune from him after their mother died in July 2009.

http://frankfrazetta.org/ff_silver_warrior.jpg

Brice
05-11-2010, 03:02 AM
:(

turtlex
05-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Brice, I couldn't agree more. FF was such an iconic artist - his images so amazing.

Click Here (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/artists-remember-frank-frazetta-100510.html) for some of today's comic artists tributes to FF.

I think Gary Frank said it best : Unrepeatable. Irreplaceable.

Sam
05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
It sounds to me that the Death Dealer has another rider with him now.

It's a sad day for the comic and art world.

CyberGhostface
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Updated to include the sales numbers for the final issue of Jericho Hill. It had an estimated 25,896 copies sold. For those wondering, it's the lowest yet. So it appears Jae Lee's return had little impact.

I'm curious as to how the new Gunslinger series does...

turtlex
05-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much for the data, CGF!!

Should be interesting when the "name" title starts soon.

I mean, the name The Gunslinger ... I would think that would bring in readers, in and of itself.

turtlex
06-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Biff! Pow! Comic artists clash over copyrights
By TODD RICHMOND, Associated Press Writer

MADISON, Wis. – Bam! Zap! Whammo! It's a battle royale between two of the toughest heavyweights in the superhero business. The fate of the world doesn't hang in the balance, but a lot of money probably does.

Sci-fi writer Neil Gaiman and former Spider-Man artist Todd McFarlane's attorneys have been sparring for years over Gaiman's claims to a handful of characters created for McFarlane's classic Spawn series, which features a murdered CIA agent who becomes a demon.

Now Gaiman insists McFarlane owes him for three more characters — a demon named Dark Ages Spawn and two avenging angels in thong bikinis. A federal judge in Madison has scheduled a Monday hearing to listen to both sides' arguments.

The long-running case underscores the tension among comic artists as they vie for rights to even minor characters in an industry that has grown more lucrative over the past 20 years through movies, graphic novels and international distribution.

Comic book sales totaled about $429 million last year, up from $360 million to $400 million in 1996, according to estimates by The Comics Chronicles, which compiles comic sales data. The Batman movie sequel "The Dark Knight" has grossed over $1 billion worldwide since it was released in 2008, according to Box Office Mojo.

Spawn isn't nearly as popular as Batman or Spider-Man, but the series has been fairly successful with action figures, an Emmy-winning HBO series and a 1997 movie that grossed $87 million worldwide. A sequel is in development, according to Image Comics' Web site.

Gaiman's attorneys said Gaiman plans to donate any money that comes out of the case to charity. The lawsuit for him is more about establishing clear guidelines for other comic book creators about their rights to characters, they said.

"Our view is McFarlane just took some of the characters Neil was a co-creator of and just gave them different names," said Gaiman's attorney, Allen Arntsen. "It's a matter of principle."

McFarlane's lead attorney, James Alex Grimsley, didn't return several messages seeking comment. In court filings, though, McFarlane's legal team denied Gaiman has any right to the three additional characters, arguing they're based on ideas from the Spawn universe, not other characters.

McFarlane created Spawn in 1992 for a startup comic book company, Image Comics. Gaiman and McFarlane collaborated on early Spawn stories. In 2002, Gaiman sued McFarlane in federal court, arguing he was a co-copyright owner of supporting characters Medieval Spawn, a demon similar to Spawn; Angela, a red-haired angel; and Cogliostro, a one-time Spawn ally.

A jury found in Gaiman's favor later that year. He and McFarlane have spent the past eight years figuring out how much money the three characters have generated and how much Gaiman deserves. A number has yet to emerge.

Gaiman filed a motion in March claiming the demon Dark Ages Spawn and two more angels, Tiffany and Domina, were derived from Medieval Spawn and Angela. They should be figured into the accounting, too, he argued.

Gaiman contends Medieval Spawn and Dark Ages Spawn both wear metal helmets, carry shields and help the defenseless. Tiffany, Domina and Angela, meanwhile, all have long hair and wear armored bras and thong bikinis.

"There's certainly historical examples of minor characters becoming major breadwinners," said Mark Zaid, founder and marketing director of the Comic Book Collecting Association. "Characters start off in a cameo and, to put a pun on it, spawn into something bigger. ... When you succeed, you can hit the lotto."

McFarlane's attorneys counter that while Dark Ages Spawn, Tiffany and Domina have "superficial qualities" similar to other characters, but they have unique personalities and express broad concepts in the Spawn story, including the ideas that demons walked the earth throughout time and God created an angel army to battle them.

Gaiman, who lives in northwestern Wisconsin near the Twin Cities, worked on the "Sandman" comic book series. His novels include "American Gods," "Coraline" and "The Graveyard Book," which won the John Newberry Medal.

McFarlane illustrated a number of big-time superheroes, including Batman and Spider-Man, before co-founding Image Comics. He also manufactures action figures and made headlines in 1999 when he paid $3 million for the baseball Mark McGwire hit for his then-record 70th home run in a season.

McFarlane told The Associated Press in a phone interview he thinks Gaiman is a "good man."

"We just sort of hit a crossroads in the piece of the puzzle in our relationship," he said, choosing his words carefully. "I don't begrudge anybody from taking a strong position if they think something isn't quite right. I try not to get overly worked up about it. Somebody smarter than all of us will tell us where this all will land."

turtlex
06-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Legendary Al Williamson: 1931-2010

The comic book community has lost another great. Al Williamson has passed away at the age of 79.

With a career that spanned four decades and who helped break other legends such as Mike Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson break into the industry, and who influenced the likes of Frank Cho and Dave Gibbons, we truly have lost one of the best.

He was the recipient of two Eisners for Best Inker in 1996 and 1997, as well as was a Hall of Fame Eisner in 2000.

From his comic strip Secret Agent X-9, to his Star Wars adaptations, and his legendary work on Flash Gordon, his legacy lives on.

Another WriteUp :

Comics and illustration legend Al Williamson passed away yesterday at age 79. Williamson was renowned for his fantasy and adventure illustration, having started in the comics industry in the 1950s. Among his celebrated works are illustrations in Weird Science and Weird Fantasy for EC Comics, Warren Publishing's Creepy and Eerie magazines, and the newspaper strip Secret Agent X-9.

Williamson may be best known to Star Wars fans through his work in the early comics publishing of the 1980s. Partnered with inker Carlos Garzon, Williamson brought new vividness, detail and flair to the monthly Star Wars title from Marvel Comics starting with the six-issue adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back. Though Williamson did not remain the regular artist for the title, he would return to it on occasion with memorable installments -- such as issue #50's "The Crimson Forever", issue #98, and the four-part Return of the Jedi adaptation.

Perhaps his most widely read work in Star Wars comics was the daily newspaper strip distributed by the Los Angeles Times Syndicate that ran from 1981 through 1984. With Archie Goodwin writing, Williamson illustrated black-and-white dailies and color Sunday installments of daily Star Wars adventures set between the events of Episode IV and V. These bite-sized installments attained an epic feel due to Williamson's sense of scale and composition, and the tales told such momentous events as Han's run-in with a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, the relocation of the Rebel base from Yavin to Hoth, and the introduction of Admiral Ackbar and the Mon Calamari to the Rebel Alliance. This introduced Williamson to a whole new generation of fans. "The fact that I was suddenly working on something that all the kids knew was gratifying. 'Oh... You do Star Wars!' they'd say in hushed tones. It was great!" Williamson recounted in an introduction to a compilation of his work.

In the 1990s, Williamson had retired from penciling, but still worked as an inker for various publishers. He contributed art to West End Games' Star Wars roleplaying game, and returned to Star Wars comics when Dark Horse Comics reformatted the newspaper strips into monthly comic books. Williamson was involved in the composition of the reformatted art, providing new art and covers as required. He also inked Dark Horse's adaptations of the special edition release of Star Wars and Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace.

turtlex comments : RIP Al Williamson. I loved his Star Wars work.

Sam
06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
This is a sad day for comicdom.

Darkthoughts
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm glad Gaiman and MacFarlane appear to be quite amicable about this. It all seems a bit tit for tat on one hand, but then I suppose if one of the characters had a spin off series/movie and raked in the cash it'd be a different matter.

Shame everything boils down to money for so many people.

CyberGhostface
06-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Updated with the first issue of The Gunslinger. With 26,275 issues sold, it did slightly better than the last issue of Jericho Hill.

I also decided to remove the hardcover rankings as ICV2 only covers a fraction of its actual sales (books sold in comicbook shops) and, while I explained that, it misled people as to thinking those were all the sales. I didn't think it was fair on my part, so...that's that. For now.

turtlex
06-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks very much, CG.

I look forward to these updates!

turtlex
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Anne Frank story published as graphic novel

AMSTERDAM – The Anne Frank House Museum launched a graphic novel version of the teenage Jewish diarist's biography Friday, hoping to bring her story and death in a Nazi concentration camp to a wider audience.

Spokeswoman Annemarie Bekker said the publication is aimed at teenagers who might not otherwise read Anne Frank's diary, already the most widely read document to emerge from the Holocaust.

"Not everyone will read the diary," she said. "The one doesn't exclude the other."

Using the style of comic books to illustrate serious historical topics, even genocide, is not new. "Maus," Art Spiegelman's graphic biography of his father, a survivor of the Auschwitz death camp, won a special Pulitzer Prize in 1992.

The Anne Frank biography, authorized by the museum, is a collaboration between American author Sid Jacobson and artist Ernest Colon. They also co-produced a best-selling graphic novel, The 9/11 Commission Report.

Publisher Hill & Wang will launch the graphic narrative in the U.S. later this month and MacMillan in Britain in the fall. Translations in German, French and Italian also are planned.

Bekker said the biography would be included with classroom teaching materials about World War II. The museum decided to commission the work after the success of a similar educational project, "The Search," about a fictional family in hiding.

Anne Frank wrote the diary from her 13th birthday shortly before her family went into hiding from the Nazis, and during the two years she and her family remained in a concealed apartment in Amsterdam. It was published after the war by her father Otto Frank, the only survivor. Anne Frank died in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in 1945.

turtlex
07-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Comic book writer Harvey Pekar dies at 70 in Ohio
By THOMAS J. SHEERAN and JAKE COYLE, Associated Press Writers

CLEVELAND – Harvey Pekar, whose autobiographical comic book series "American Splendor" portrayed his unglamorous life with bone-dry honesty and wit, was found dead at home early Monday, authorities said. He was 70.

The cause of death was unclear, and an autopsy was planned, officials said. Pekar had prostate cancer, asthma, high blood pressure and depression, said Michael Cannon, a police captain in suburban Cleveland Heights.

Officers were called to Pekar's home by his wife about 1 a.m., Cannon said. His body was found on the floor between a bed and dresser. He had gone to bed around 4:30 p.m. Sunday in good spirits, his wife told police.

Pekar took a radically different track from the superhero-laden comics that had dominated the industry. He instead specialized in the lives of ordinary people, chronicling his life as a file clerk in Cleveland and his relationship with his third wife, Joyce Brabner. His 1994 graphic novel, "Our Cancer Year," detailed his battle with lymphoma.

The dreary cover scene shows him sprawled beside his wife on a snowy curbside with shopping bags on the ground. "Harvey, forget about the groceries, honey. Let's get you inside first," she says.

Pekar never drew himself but depended on collaborations with artists, most notably his friend R. Crumb, who helped illustrate the first issue of the ironically titled "American Splendor," published in 1976. It was made into an acclaimed 2003 film starring Paul Giamatti as Pekar. The most recent "American Splendor" was released in 2008.

"Harvey was one of the most compassionate and empathetic human beings I've ever met," Giamatti said in a statement. "He had a huge brain and an even bigger soul. And he was hilarious. He was a great artist, a true American poet, and there is no one to replace him."

Pekar's quirky commentary developed a following, and his insights and humor were often a bit on the dark side.

Lucy Shelton Caswell, curator of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum at Ohio State University, said it was inaccurate to describe Pekar's work as "cult."

"His work was accepted by the mainstream," Caswell said. "It was bought by public libraries and read widely." The cartoon library has all of Pekar's works in its collection, she said.

"He will be remembered as an innovator who wrote stories about ordinary things that were then illustrated by some of the most notable cartoonists of the late 20th century," Caswell said. "People identified with what he was writing about and the stories that these people were drawing because it was so ordinary."

In 2003, the New York Film Critics Circle honored "American Splendor" as best first film for the directing-writing team of Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini. Part feature and part documentary, and with occasional animated elements, the film's tearing down of the fourth wall — with Giamatti, as Pekar, often appearing alongside the real Pekar — paralleled his comic's realism.

Pekar, himself, introduces the film and the character based on him: "This guy here, he's our man, all grown up and going nowhere. Although he's a pretty scholarly cat, he never got much of a formal education. For the most part, he's lived in ... neighborhoods, held ... jobs and he's now knee-deep into a disastrous second marriage. So if you're the kind of person looking for romance or escapism or some fantasy figure to save the day, guess what? You've got the wrong movie."

Pekar, who was a repeat TV guest of David Letterman, told The Associated Press in a 1997 interview that he was determined to keep writing his "American Splendor" series.

"There's no end in sight for me. I want to continue to do it," Pekar said. "It's a continuing autobiography, a life's work."

CyberGhostface
07-13-2010, 09:42 AM
The second issue of The Gunslinger came in at #82 in rankings, selling an estimated 24,024 copies.

turtlex
07-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Hello,
StephenKing.pl made an interview with Mike Perkins, you can read it here: http://stephenking.pl/sk_wywiady_skpl_081.html

Thought I'd quote this post here where hopefully more folks will see it.

Mike Perkins is the comic artist for The Stand series.

Thank you, nocny!!

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Before I knock myself out looking....does this 3rd story of Gunslinger Journey have a variant cover? Or like #2, a singleton.

jhanic
07-22-2010, 06:07 PM
As far as I know, it does not have a variant.

John

jhanic
07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
From CNBC.com,

The Most Valuable Comics of All Time (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38383325?slide=1)

John

turtlex
07-26-2010, 02:32 AM
From CNBC.com,

The Most Valuable Comics of All Time (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38383325?slide=1)

John

Awesome, John !!!

Thanks!!!

turtlex
07-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Winners are in ... and I'm incredibly thrilled for artist JH Williams III, winner of both pencils and cover artist for his run in Detective Comics featuring Batwoman!

Best Short Story
"Urgent Request," by Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim, in The Eternal Smile (First Second)

Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
Captain America #601: "Red, White, and Blue-Blood," by Ed Brubaker and Gene Colan (Marvel)

Best Continuing Series
The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard (Image)

Best Limited Series or Story Arc
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young (Marvel)

Best New Series
Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Image)

Best Publication for Kids
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz hc, by L. Frank Baum, Eric Shanower, and Skottie Young (Marvel)

Best Publication for Teens
Beasts of Burden, by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson (Dark Horse)

Best Humor Publication
Scott Pilgrim vol. 5: Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe, by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Oni)

Best Anthology
Popgun vol. 3, edited by Mark Andrew Smith, D. J. Kirkbride, and Joe Keatinge (Image)

Best Digital Comic
Sin Titulo, by Cameron Stewart, www.sintitulocomic.com

Best Reality-Based Work

Best Adaptation from Another Work

Best Graphic Album—New
Asterios Polyp, by David Mazzuccheilli (Pantheon)

Best Graphic Album—Reprint
Absolute Justice, by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger, and Doug Braithewaite (DC)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips
Bloom County: The Complete Library, vol. 1, by Berkeley Breathed, edited by Scott Dunbier (IDW)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books
The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures deluxe edition, by Dave Stevens, edited by Scott Dunbier (IDW)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material
The Photographer, by Emmanuel Guibert, Didier Lefe&grave;vre, and Frédéric Lemerier (First Second)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia

Best Writer
Ed Brubaker, Captain America, Daredevil, Marvels Project (Marvel) Criminal, Incognito (Marvel Icon)

Best Writer/Artist

Best Writer/Artist–Nonfiction
Joe Sacco, Footnotes in Gaza (Metropolitan/Holt)

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
Jill Thompson, Beasts of Burden (Dark Horse); Magic Trixie and the Dragon (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Best Cover Artist

Best Coloring
Dave Stewart, Abe Sapien, BPRD, The Goon, Hellboy, Solomon Kane, Umbrella Academy, Zero Killer (Dark Horse); Detective Comics (DC); Luna Park (Vertigo)

Best Lettering

Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism
The Comics Reporter, produced by Tom Spurgeon (www.comicsreporter.com)

Best Comics-Related Book
The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics, by Denis Kitchen and Paul Buhle (Abrams ComicArts)

Best Publication Design
Absolute Justice, designed by Curtis King and Josh Beatman (DC)

Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award
Vault of Midnight, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Steve
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
The Walking Dead love makes me soooo happy.

Sam
07-26-2010, 08:12 PM
AMAZING list of works there. Hey Pam, now you can say you have an original work by an Eisner winning artist. Holy remarques, Batwoman!!

turtlex
07-27-2010, 02:41 AM
AMAZING list of works there. Hey Pam, now you can say you have an original work by an Eisner winning artist. Holy remarques, Batwoman!!

I know !!!

And the most super-cool thing about it ?? ... JHWilliams III is just a really nice, very cool guy. I love when the good-guys get what they have coming to them!

Sam
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Thought y'all might like this site I found through Darick Robertson's website.

The 50 best comic covers of 2009 (http://best.complex.com/lists/The-50-Best-Comic-Book-Covers-of-2009)

turtlex
07-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Thought y'all might like this site I found through Darick Robertson's website.

The 50 best comic covers of 2009 (http://best.complex.com/lists/The-50-Best-Comic-Book-Covers-of-2009)

Oh, that's cool, Sam, thanks.

( hmmmm.... can't say I agree with his top pick though! )

WeDealInLead
07-28-2010, 11:40 AM
So according to bleedingcool.com (a cool blog about comics) Alan Moore was offered rights to Watchmen back but if they could write the prequel and sequel to the movie. "No wonder he told them to fuck right off". Oh Mr. Moore, you rule.

I'm not sure how I feel about Red (the movie). It's based on Warren Ellis's graphic novel but from the previews the only things they have in common is the name.

turtlex
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
You know - I love Alan Moore ( I mean, Watchmen, V for Vendetta ), but honestly, he needs to get over himself. :rolleyes:

turtlex
08-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Author Neil Gaiman wins suit over Spawn characters

MADISON, Wis. – A federal judge has ruled that Coraline and Stardust author Neil Gaiman is owed royalties for three more characters that appeared in artist Todd McFarlane's classic Spawn comic book series.

U.S. District Court Judge Barbara Crabb ruled last week that the characters Dark Ages Spawn, Domina and Tiffany were derived from characters Gaiman created.

A jury eight years ago found that Gaiman was due money for being a co-copyright holder for three other characters that appeared in the comic series. Neither side has agreed to how much is owed.

McFarlane created the series about an undead superhero in the early 1990s.

Some of Gaiman's other work includes The Sandman comic book series, The Graveyard Book and American Gods.

turtlex
08-04-2010, 03:20 AM
turtlex comments : why, oh why, can't I find stuff like this in my basement?!?

Superman Comic Saves Family Home From Foreclosure

Unexpected Find of Action Comics No. 1 Could Fetch Upwards of a Quarter of a Million Dollars at Auction By RAY SANCHEZ / ABC News

A struggling family facing foreclosure has stumbled upon what is considered to be the Holy Grail of comic books in their basement a fortuitous find that could fetch upwards of a quarter million dollars at auction.

A copy of Action Comics No. 1, the first in which Superman ever appeared, was discovered as they went about the painful task of packing up a home that had been in the family since at least the 1950s. The couple, who live in the South with their children, asked to remain anonymous.

"The bank was about ready to foreclose," said Vincent Zurzolo, co-owner of ComicConnect.com and Metropolis Comics and Collectibles in New York. "Literally, this family was in tears. The family home was going to be lost and they're devastated. They can't figure out a way out of this. They start packing things up. They go into the basement and start sifting through boxes trying to find packing boxes and they stumble on eight or nine comic books."

Most of the comic books in the box were worth between $10 and $30 but one dated June 1938 and depicting the Man of Steel lifting a car above his head was extremely rare. That issue, which originally sold for 10 cents, is considered to have ushered in the age of the superhero.

"It's a tremendous piece of American pop culture history," Zurzolo said. The couple learned online that ComicConnect.com had brokered the record-breaking sales of Action No. 1 copies for $1 million in February and then $1.5 million one month later. They immediately texted a cell phone picture to the firm's co-owner, Stephen Fishler.

"You couldn't have asked for a happier ending," Zurzolo said. "Superman saved the day."

Most Americans aren't so lucky. Nationwide, more than 1.6 million properties were in some stage of foreclosure in the first half of the year, according to RealtyTrac, up about 8 percent from a year ago but down 5 percent from the final six months of 2009. The couple had recently taken out a second mortgage on their home to start a new business, which failed in the uncertain economy. Mortgage payments were missed and the bank soon came after their home, which became theirs after the death of the wife's father. Fishler had to get on the phone to convince the bank to back off.

"My partner basically had to explain to the bank, 'You'll have your money soon,'" Zurzolo said. "We sent them information about our previous sales and what this could realize."

In a statement released through ComicConnect, the owner of the prized comic book said the family was still "a little shell shocked" after the unexpected find. "I was so nervous when I realized what it was worth," the owner said. "I know I am very fortunate but I will be greatly relieved when this book finds a new home."

Last Thursday, the couple's copy received a 5.0 VG(Very Good)/Fine rating on a scale of 1 to 10. It could fetch upwards of $250,000 when it goes up for auction on ComicConnect.com from Aug. 27 through Sept. 17.

While many businesses have been hurt by the recession, the comic book collection industry has received a boost. It all started in the spring of 2009, in the bleakest days of current downturn, when ComicConnect sold a copy of Action Comics No. 1 for $317,200 a record at the time.

"That was at the worst part of the recession," Zurzolo said. "All the publicity we got on that was incredible&From all this publicity people started looking around and they started finding things." There are about 100 copies of Action Comics No. 1 believed to be in existence, with only a handful in good condition. In the last year and a half, about 7 copies have turned up. "You never know," Zurzolo said. "You might have a hidden treasure in your home which can change your life."

Zurzolo said more and more investors are calling ComicConnect looking for ways to make their money grow. One recent caller wanted to invest half a million dollars that he said were sitting in a bank account. "This happens to be the best year we've ever had," he said.

The copies of Action Comic No. 1 that sold for $1 million and $1.5 million earlier this year had been purchased for about $140,000 each more than a decade ago.

"When you tell people they might have more than a million bucks somewhere, it makes people move around and check places," he said. "In terms of the prices we've been able to realize, I do think that ties directly to the economy. You're dealing with a time in history when people are very uncertain about the stock market. They are extremely wary of the real estate market. They're making absolutely no money in their bank accounts."

After discovering their small treasures, many people want to remain anonymous like many lottery winners. "People don't want people knowing how much money they have," Zurzolo said. "Some people are very paranoid."

lophophoras
08-04-2010, 04:02 AM
:thumbsup:

jhanic
08-04-2010, 05:31 AM
That's a great story! Amazing what a superhero (comic) can do!

John

turtlex
08-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Disney snaps up "Tron" director's comic book
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Oblivion," the upcoming illustrated novel from "Tron Legacy" director Joseph Kosinski, has found a home with Disney.

The story is set on a future Earth, where civilization lives above the clouds and alien scavengers stalk the irradiated surface below. When a surface drone repairman finds a woman inside a crashed spacepod planetside , it leads him on a journey filled with romance and adventure.

Kosinski, who will direct and produce the feature version, created the comic. Writtem by Arvid Nelson and illustrated by Andree Wallin, it will be released in the fall by Radical Publishing.

He spent the last year honing the story while putting the finishing touches on "Tron," which is shaping up to be one of the most important movies for Disney in quite a while. The costly sci-fi remake is set for release on December 17.

mystima
08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
What? comic heroes not good role models?

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-study-superheroes-might-not-be-such-super-role-models.html

CyberGhostface
08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Third issue of the Gunslinger sold an estimated 22,744 copies, coming in at #90 on the rankings.

turtlex
08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks, CG!

turtlex
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Oh, you have got to be kidding me!

turtlex
09-09-2010, 02:42 AM
The Official Statement - including this in this thread because the rights purchased include rights to the comic books!

UNIVERSAL PICTURES AND NBC UNIVERSAL TELEVISION ENTERTAINMENT TO MAKE FILM TRILOGY AND TELEVISION SERIES BASED ON STEPHEN KING’S EPIC SERIES OF NOVELS THE DARK TOWER

Academy Award® Winners Akiva Goldsman, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer Will Produce the Three Films and the TV Series Based on The Dark Tower

UNIVERSAL CITY, CA, September 8, 2010 – Universal Pictures Chairman Adam Fogelson and Co-Chairman Donna Langley—along with Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment and Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC & Universal Media Studios—today announced that Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have acquired the rights to produce three films and a television series based on the seven epic novels, short stories and comic books from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower.

Ron Howard will direct the first film and the first season of television, which will be written by Goldsman. Goldsman will produce the film through his Weed Road Pictures with Howard and Grazer for Imagine Entertainment. Howard, Grazer and Goldsman will executive produce the television series for Universal Media Studios. Kerry

Foster will executive produce the first film for Weed Road Pictures along with Todd Hallowell and Erica Huggins for Imagine Entertainment.

“I’ve been waiting for the right team to bring the characters and stories in these books to film and TV viewers around the world,” said King. “Ron, Akiva, Brian along with Universal and NBC have a deep interest and passion for theThe Dark Tower series and I know that will translate into an intriguing series of films and TV shows that respect the origins and the characters in The Dark Tower that fans have come to love.”

The Dark Tower is Stephen King’s opus of seven bestselling novels with, to date, more than 30 million copies sold in 40 countries. The novels incorporate themes from multiple genres including fantasy, science fiction, horror and adventure. After the series was completed, a prequel of comic books based on one of the characters was also published.

“Building a franchise home for The Dark Tower is an exciting opportunity for this studio, and we’re thrilled that Stephen has entrusted us to bring his beloved novels to the big screen,” said Fogelson.

“Stephen King is a brilliant storyteller who creates imaginary worlds that resonate with the broadest audiences across ages and demographics,” said Gaspin. “We are thrilled to partner with our colleagues in the film division and Brian, Ron and Akiva to bring Stephen’s vision to the largest audience possible through this innovative multi-platform collaboration.”

Howard, Grazer and Goldsman are planning for the first film in the trilogy to be immediately followed by a television series that will bridge the second film. After the second film, the television series will pick up allowing viewers to explore the adventures of the protagonist as a young man as a bridge to the third film and beyond.

“We are excited to have found partners at Universal who understand and embrace our approach to King’s remarkable epic,” said Howard. “By using both the scope and scale of theatrical filmmaking and the intimacy of television we hope to more comprehensively do justice to the characters, themes and amazing sequences King has given us in The Dark Tower novels. It might be the challenge of a lifetime but clearly a thrilling one to take on and explore.”

“The worlds of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series are richly detailed, inter-locking and deeply connected,” said Goldsman. “By telling this story across media platforms and over multiple hours—and with a view to telling it completely—we have our best chance of translating Roland’s quest to reach The Dark Tower onto screen. We are proceeding with tremendous excitement, fidelity to the source material and, quite frankly, no small amount of awe at this opportunity.”

“King has created the most visually enthralling places and characters in The Dark Tower,” said Grazer. “The synergy created across all the media divisions of our partners at NBC Universal to tell this remarkable story is ground-breaking and invigorating. This project will be one of the most exciting and challenging that I will have ever worked on and I am thrilled to be a part of it.”

CyberGhostface
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Updated with August's issue.

turtlex
09-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Courtesy of ICv2

Sale Estimates

Bringing this over to this page.

Thanks again, CGF!

turtlex
09-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Very interesting editorial on Variant Covers here.

YouTube - acomicshop.tv: &quot;NO MORE VARIANTS&quot;

wizardsrainbow
09-18-2010, 06:21 AM
WOW! That is quite a decline in the span of a couple years. I have nothing to compare it to so don't know if this is common or not in a comic series.

Am actually glad they are not doing variants anymore as with the sharply reduced sales, retailers are just not ordering the size they once did and therefore variants would be quite scarce. I noticed how much scarcer they became towards the end of the first story arc.

herbertwest
09-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Any sales figures concerning the hardcovers though?

turtlex
09-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm okay with no variants, too, which can play into the number of issues sold, btw. All variants are only available with a minimum number of "regular" issue purchases.

These wouldn't show up with the monthly sales chart, as they're considered books, rather than comics.

CyberGhostface
09-19-2010, 12:39 PM
WOW! That is quite a decline in the span of a couple years. I have nothing to compare it to so don't know if this is common or not in a comic series.

To be fair, most comicbooks decline after the initial "buzz" wears off unless they're a big hit or a popular title. Different declines for different books, but it's very rare for a series to stay consistently in the top spots. Dark Tower also appeals to, when you get down to it, a fairly limited audience.

Personally, I think a lot if it has to do with the fact that Marvel just stopped promoting it. Compare the level of publicity Marvel gave to the first arc to now. Huge levels of mainstream coverage, midnight release parties, etc. Now, it's like they stopped caring.

I used to have the hardcover sales from ICv2, but they only counted the hardcovers sold in comic shops, so that only accounted for a fraction of the overall sold. It lead some people to erroneously believe that they accounted for all the sales, so I removed them. And as opposed to monthly comics, hardcovers usually sell over a span of time, so I'm not sure how accurate they would necessarily be.

That being said, in terms of overall ranking, the hardcovers have sold very well in comic shops. In August, the Jericho Hill hardcover came in at 5th place, which is pretty good. I'd even guess at this point that the comics are more or less being made for trade sales.

Brainslinger
09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I've seen a couple of the hardbacks appear in my local library too. I'd like to think that's a little indication they're doing reasonably well in that the library are picking up a niche graphic novel.

I know libraries usually have a wide selection of books anyway, but compared to the other sections the GN section is pretty small. It's improved a lot (they have two book cases devoted to the medium now, and it's not all mainstream Marvel/DC stuff) but one entire case is devoted to Manga! (Not that there's anything wrong with manga. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there, but I've found the (granted few) bits and pieces I've picked up rather over-rated. A lot of the kids love it over here though. To be fair there was one horror book which really gave me the chills... A kind of creepy body-horror selection of stories about a regenerating schoolgirl who drives men homicidally insane....

turtlex
09-20-2010, 04:49 AM
NJ theme park plans new Green Lantern roller coaster

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, N.J. – Six Flags Great Adventure theme park in central New Jersey is planning to build a 15-story roller coaster.

The ride will be named after DC Comics superhero Green Lantern.

Officials say the ride will be 154 feet tall and reach speeds of up to 63 mph. The coaster will offer a two-minute ride and will begin with a 45-degree vertical drop before rocketing riders through five loops.

Park spokeswoman Angel Aristone tells the Asbury Park Press the coaster's opening in the spring will coincide with the release of a motion picture based on the Green Lantern comic book character.

Starring Ryan Reynolds in the title role, the 3-D movie opens in June and also features Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard and Mark Strong.

wizardsrainbow
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM

YouTube - acomicshop.tv: &quot;NO MORE VARIANTS&quot; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowjMERHhaA&feature=player_embedded)

I like this message! I was one of those OCD people with the Dark Tower stuff. Had to have it all. Now, I did enjoy the story and lived for the story, but as a collector, I had to have them all. In the end I did. Now I'm glad it's over.

jhanic
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
I was the same way. I had to have them all! I'm SO glad no more variants are being issued for these!

John

turtlex
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM

YouTube - acomicshop.tv: &quot;NO MORE VARIANTS&quot; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowjMERHhaA&feature=player_embedded)

I like this message! I was one of those OCD people with the Dark Tower stuff. Had to have it all. Now, I did enjoy the story and lived for the story, but as a collector, I had to have them all. In the end I did. Now I'm glad it's over.

I was the same way. I had to have them all! I'm SO glad no more variants are being issued for these!

John

I agree whole-heartedly. I thought of all of us here, as I was watching it!

Patrick
09-26-2010, 08:13 AM

John

I agree whole-heartedly. I thought of all of us here, as I was watching it!
Man oh man, talk about hitting the nail on the head. :unsure:

frik
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not really sure where to post this request, but I'm looking for a hardcover edition of Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, vol.1. Impossible to find - maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction?
Thanks,

Siep

sk

jhanic
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Try:

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=don+rosa&title=life+and+times+of+scrooge+mcduck&keyword=&isbn=&order=PRICE&ordering=ASC&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&exclude=&dispCurr=USD&timeout=20&store=Alibris&store=Abebooks&store=AbebooksDE&store=AbebooksFR&store=AbebooksUK&store=Amazon&store=AmazonUK&store=AmazonDE&store=AmazonFR&store=Antiqbook&store=Biblio&store=BiblioUK&store=Bibliophile&store=Bibliopoly&store=Booksandcollectibles&store=Half&store=ILAB&store=LivreRareBook&store=Powells&store=Strandbooks&store=ZVAB

John

turtlex
09-30-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm not really sure where to post this request, but I'm looking for a hardcover edition of Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, vol.1. Impossible to find - maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction?
Thanks,

Siep

sk

www.mycomicshop.com doesn't have any in stock. It lists the following details : 1st printing. You asked for them, and here they are...the pre-chapters and in-between-chapters of Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck! Along with classic Rosa adventures like "Hearts of the Yukon" and "Vigilante of Pizen Bluff," this volume includes the all-new, long-awaited Klondike epic "Prisoner of White Agony Creek!" Vintage prequel "Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies" is here, too! Softcover, 208 pages, full color. Cover price $16.99.

turtlex
09-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Oops. Found one. PM sent to you, frik !

frik
10-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Oops. Found one. PM sent to you, frik !

:excited:

sk

turtlex
10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Stan Lee joins with MTV to create new comic series
By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES – MTV is helping to bring Stan Lee's newest superhero to life.

The network is joining forces with Lee's POW Entertainment to create a new digital comic series called "The Seekers."

"It involves superheroes, it involves a very high-concept plot, it's a story such as you never have seen before, and it spans the centuries," Lee said in a telephone interview from New York Comic Con, where he and MTV are set to announce the new series on Saturday.

Lee went on to say that "The Seekers" is "more than just a comic. It's actually the start of a tremendous franchise."

He hopes "The Seekers" will grow into a TV series or film.

First, though, it has to be written and illustrated. MTV will hold a contest to find an undiscovered writer and artist to work on the new comic series. The winners will work with Lee and POW to develop the concept and create multiple issues.

The 87-year-old comics legend says he's excited to work in a digital arena.

"It's thrilling because it's a whole new discipline," he said. "But it's a funny thing: Whether it's electronic, whether it's digital, whether it's on paper, whether it's on a television screen, it's the story that counts. You don't let the fact that there's a different area of exhibition change the fact that you need a great story filled with action and surprises and suspense."

"The Seekers" will be available for free on the new MTV Geek website that launched earlier this week. The site will offer comics, horror, sci-fi and gaming news, as well as coverage of comic-book conventions and previews of new comic books, games and movies.

Brainslinger
10-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Looks interesting. And I knew Stan Lee was getting on but 87? He's doing well, isn't he?

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 12:10 AM
This thread may or may not be bait for a particular forum user.

I'll start us off.

Hostess used to be all up in some Batman:

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/themuse_top.jpg

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/themuse_resolution.jpg

There were also in a lot of other comics: http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm

The chicken in Goats is pretty fond of cupcakes: http://www.goats.com/archive/060222.html
http://www.goats.com/comix/0602/goats060222.jpg

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rma/lowres/rman4264l.jpg

One can always count on The Simpsons for some Donut love(Donut Love is a name I used to dance under).
http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51KKqzLHN9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

*sigh* It is a shame when donut kingdoms can't get along:
http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100708-lordbagel.jpg

I suppose one could also talk about comic related confection?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2009/03/watchmen.jpg

Feel free to post your instances of donuts or cupcakes in comic books or web comics. Also feel free to post any comic related versions of the two.
If you happen to be reading a comic and see a cupcake or donut in the pages, remember this thread and come here and post about it.
<3

Emily
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I am speechless.

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Top Shelf Productions seems o be making a comic called Okie Dokie Donuts:
http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/okie-dokie-donuts-book-1/724

Donuts are not always fun and games, though.

http://www.thebookofbiff.com/comics/2006-03-08-0029.png

Ziggy and Marmaduke both look like they may have eaten a donut or thirty in their day.
http://joshreads.com/images/07/03/i070312marmzig.png

Oh, if only Garfield really worked this way:
http://www.hyperdeathbabies.com/panelproject/images/002-garfield-hungry-for-donuts-b.gif

John Blaze
10-21-2010, 01:30 AM
:wtf:

this thread is great, can't wait until Ricky finds it, see what he'll post.

BTW, does a comic based movie count?

YouTube - strolling down the park

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
It does if it is Tony Stark:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-fiend-ryan-jones.html

CyberGhostface
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Updated with September's issue, which sold an estimated 21,323 copies, which is not that much lower than last month's total of 21,820.

John Blaze
10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
i like that. Too expensive for me though. I'm saving up for an original Emily Bohan print. :)

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Oh yeah, I'd never buy it. I was just using it to illustrate the dangers of cupcake addiction.

Emily
10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
i like that. Too expensive for me though. I'm saving up for an original Emily Bohan print. :)

:wub:

And I don't have an addiction! :panic:

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 09:39 PM

:wub:

And I don't have an addiction! :panic:
Tony Stark clearly does, though.
:)
It must be horrible to have to take all that armor back off to knock off all the cupcake crumbs.

John Blaze
10-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Yes, that's funny.

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Updated with September's issue, which sold an estimated 21,323 copies, which is not that much lower than last month's total of 21,820.

Thanks, CG. :thumbsup: Much appreciated.

I am interested in how well the Sheemie one-shot sells. That should be interesting. I know a lot of DT fans really like Sheemie.

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:34 AM
<clip>
Sale Estimates

The Gunslinger #5 | 93 | 21,323

Bringing this over for easy reference. Thanks again, CyberGhostface!