PDA

View Full Version : Raves

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 08:16 AM
So. I've been a rave girl (kandi kid) since I was 14, attending house-raves and all ages events in Barrie for three years constant, until they stopped occurring when I was 16 or so. I never stopped liking raves, I just couldn't find any to attend, and couldn't go out of town for them at all. (Unlike now, as I have a cash flow, and can go down to Toronto for all the raves I can find and book time off for.) But lately I've been wondering and wondering where all the raves have gone, and in my search, I found one next weekend here, downtown at the Foxx Lounge, and am actually old enough to attend (because its a 19+ event)! I'll be going for sure.

Recently I've been getting into a rave "sport" called Glowstringing or Glowsticking. Thats where you tie industrial glowsticks to shoestrings and spin them around in patterns. There's a lot of complex moves, and it looks like a lot of fun ( I used to see it all the time, but I never really thought much of it until I got back into the idea of it when I joined GenXGlow forums ), and so thats been taking up some of my online time. I got my brother into both glowstringing, and the rave scene. We're going to attend one in Toronto on October 7th, and all ages event.

I wanted to know how many other Stephen King fans were into raves as well, just because I wanted to see how much I have in common with you guys besides The Dark Tower, and Kings other books. So drop me a line here, and/or we can chat through PM's.

Erin
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I've never been to a rave before. I'd like to check one out sometime, just to be able to say i've been to one.

Here's a question Candice....Due to stuff i've seen in the media, one tends to associate raves with drug use, particulary ecstasy. What's your experience with this? Do the raves you attend have heavy drug use?

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Thats a myth, Erin. Not all ravers take drugs, and not all drugies are present at raves. Some of them do, and its generally hallucinogens, but in all the raves I've been to, its never been a problem.
I won't touch E, which is chiefly associated with ravers and our culture. I despise the stuff. But DOI100, if you can find it, is a nice, safe, and legal alternative to the rave drugs that I've seen. If you're into that sort of thing.

The thing is, a lot of us just want a place where we can be ourselves and transcend the hate and anger in this world. We're all about PLUR (Peace, Love, Respect, Unity) and making friends with everyone we can. We don't judge, and we ask not to be judged. Were we a society, we'd be almost Utopian. Almost.
Like every culture, the Rave culture has its pitfalls, and sometimes people get in who don't cling to the music and the atmosphere as though it were the only thing keeping them sane... People who judge, and people who hurt, and people who are everything we're against. It can't be helped, but we try to ignore it. It gives us a bad name, though.

A lot of us, real kandi-kids, follow loosely a manifesto. I've posted it below. We love, we care, we protect, we share. We can't be put down, and when we're hurt by others, we can always count on another kandi-kid to give us a shoulder to cry on, and a warm hug. We see outside cultures with eyes unclouded, and we stick to our own because we're above all the hate out there.

Anything else I can answer for you?

Our emotional state is ecstasy..

Our nourishment of choice is love..
Our addiction of choice is technology..
Our religion of choice is music..
Our currency of choice is knowledge..
Our politics of choice is none..
Our society of choice is utopian.

You may hate us,
you may dismiss us,
you may misunderstand us,
you may be unaware that we exist.
We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you.

We are no criminals.
We are not disillusioned.
We are not drug addicts.
We are not naive children.
We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself.
We are the massive one massive.

We were first drawn by the sound, from far away the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mothers heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical writing.
We were drawn back into this womb, and there in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it, we came to accept that we are all the same.
We came to accept that we are all equal; not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls and somewhere around 35Hz, we could feel the hand of God at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, bodies, and spirits.
Pushing us to turn to the person beside us..
To join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world.
It is in that very instant with these very realization that each of us is truly born.
We continue to pack ourselves into clubs, warehouses, or buildings you've abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night; strong, throbbing, vibrant life in its purest, most intense, most hedonistic form.
In these makeshift havens, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilize and secure for us.
We seek to relinquish our inhibitions and free ourselves from the shackles and restraints that you've put on us for your own peace of mind.

We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born.
Programming telling us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest, most convinant pigonhole possible.
Programming that even tells us to climb the ladders, jump through the hoops, and run through the mazes for you.
Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of opening them!

Until the sun raises to burn our eyes by revealing the distorted reality of the world you've created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in Peace, Love, Freedom, Tolerance, Unity, Harmony, Expression, Responsibility, and Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance..
Our weapon of choice is information..
Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in our place to stop us from celebrating our existence.
However, know that while you may shut down any given party, on any given night, in any given country or continent on this beautiful planet, you can never shut down the entire party.
You dont have access to that switch no matter what you think.

The music will never stop - the heartbeat will never fade - the party will never end.

I am a raver, and this is my manifesto.

Matt
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I've always wanted to try ecstasy. I figured I would have to attend a rave to do it. :lol:

^joke

We are way to rural out here to even have them but I bet they go on in Denver

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I've always wanted to try ecstasy. I figured I would have to attend a rave to do it. :lol:

^joke

We are way to rural out here to even have them but I bet they go on in Denver

:cool:You're one cool customer, Matt.

No, if you want to do any kind of rave drug, I said above, legal and safe, DOI100 if you can find it. Otherwise, I don't recommend anything aside from LSD or something more natural, like shrooms or pot. I mean, if you're going to do it at all.

Generally, I don't even drink at raves (except from my water bottle. A water bottle is a ravers best friend!), let alone take drugs. But when I do, I'm always sure of my drugs, and I always take them before I get there, because you never know whats in what someone offers you.:orely:

Matt
09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, everything on the list has been done and got the teeshirt. :lol:

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
XD Welly-well, how fun. Haha.

Brice
09-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Back around the days when I followed the Grateful Dead around I went to maybe a couple dozen or so small raves up in Virginia. This was more than a dozen years ago.

funky dredd
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Well....where should I start?
I started going to raves back in 1990 (I am dating myself here) in clubs called AAHZ (Orlando), Brassy (Cocoa) MARZ (Cocoa), The Edge (Orlando), The Abyss (Orlando), Firestone (Orlando). We had places in Daytona called The Colisseum, Madhouse, 3D, Sol-Rays, and Stealth just to name a few. I started Dj'ing around 1991 playing at that time house/deep house then moved on to progressive house. I don't DJ that much in the clubs anymore because I tend to spend my time with my family now, but I still DJ.
I can't even begin to count how many party's I have been to or played at, I use to keep a notebook with all of the flyer's but that got too much because every friday and saturday I was somewhere. Unfortunately as time went on the drug use started to get bigger and it seemed to swallow up the whole underground community. This was never the case in the beginning, drug use was seldom. I personally have not done anything since the early 90's but DJ'ing at one will give you a wide eye over everything that is happening. To me it became too much watching some of these kids ruin there life. I once watched a kick O.D. right in front of me while I was DJ'ing (not cool) but I kept playing while he was being attended too. I don't know if he made it or not? I watched this activity up until I stopped playing in the clubs around the end of 2002 beginning of 2003. I basically got sick of watching kids do this to themselves.
But as far as the music goes I still listen to it everyday and have listened to some form of electronic music since the middle of the 80's. Starting with New Wave then onto acid house then house, progressive house, deep house, jungle and so forth and so on. To me it's all about the music, it's always been about the music.
If anyone wants to have a listen to some of my sets just let me know.

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Back around the days when I followed the Grateful Dead around I went to maybe a couple dozen or so small raves up in Virginia. This was more than a dozen years ago.

Wow, long time. Heh. I'm going to rave till I die, man. Honestly? I'll never stop attending the ones I can find.

I remember the first bush rave I went to... Those were the days. Don't have those 'round here anymore.

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I'd love to hear some of your sets, Funky. Its cool to meet a DJ, even one that doesn't play anymore.

I always seem to find the ones where drug use is minimal. Lucky me, eh? Even still, I'm very against the use of E at raves, I feel it detracts from everything. But I'm not against certain drugs, in moderation. ODing is being an idiot.

funky dredd
09-06-2007, 09:22 AM
The thing is, a lot of us just want a place where we can be ourselves and transcend the hate and anger in this world. We're all about PLUR (Peace, Love, Respect, Unity) and making friends with everyone we can. We don't judge, and we ask not to be judged. Were we a society, we'd be almost Utopian. Almost.

True! I have never ever seen a fight at a rave in all the years I have been going or playing. I've met people from all walks of life who are there to have a good time and that's it. :cool:

Brice
09-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Wow, long time. Heh. I'm going to rave till I die, man. Honestly? I'll never stop attending the ones I can find.

I remember the first bush rave I went to... Those were the days. Don't have those 'round here anymore.

Shockingly, there aren't many raves in rural NC. They were somewhat more commonplace when I lived at the beach. Yes, it's been a long time. I am old. :(

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:24 AM

True! I have never ever seen a fight at a rave in all the years I have been going or playing. I've met people from all walks of life who are there to have a good time and that's it. :cool:

Exactly! We're happy, generous, kind, and caring people, even transcending age and place. We just want the music, the dancing, the glowstringing, and the freedom that raves provide. :huglove:

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Shockingly, there aren't many raves in rural NC. They were somewhat more commonplace when I lived at the beach. Yes, it's been a long time. I am old. :(

Age is a state of mind, babe. You're not old, just mature. I know a few sites where you might be able to find listings for raves in and around where you are. If you're interested.

funky dredd
09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I'd love to hear some of your sets, Funky. Its cool to meet a DJ, even one that doesn't play anymore.

I always seem to find the ones where drug use is minimal. Lucky me, eh? Even still, I'm very against the use of E at raves, I feel it detracts from everything. But I'm not against certain drugs, in moderation. ODing is being an idiot.
I still play, just not at the clubs :D
There are other ways to have a warehouse party (which is what they used to be called).

You can find my sets here (http://funkydredd.blacknineteen.com/jzdanis/)
The Stealth set is actually live on a new years night. I am still upping some sets as we moved our host but keep checking for more.

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:32 AM
There are other ways to have a warehouse party (which is what they used to be called).

The Stealth set is actually live on a new years night. I am still upping some sets as we moved our host but keep checking for more.

We don't have them in warehouses, here... I wanted to buy an abandoned warehouse and hold raves there, though. I figured would be fun. Convert it and everything, make it work. <3

Brice
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Age is a state of mind, babe. You're not old, just mature. I know a few sites where you might be able to find listings for raves in and around where you are. If you're interested.

My state of mind is old too. :lol:

Send me links if you would if you would. I'll at least check them out and see what I see. My ability to travel is heavily limited though and for the most part I rarely go out anywhere anymore.

This may just be the first time ANYONE has ever called me mature dear. ;)

Brice
09-06-2007, 09:39 AM

I may have to check this out too if I can. I do love music.

<---remembers them being called warehouse parties too.

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, here's a rave site for the world over, at any rate, Brice, babe. Should have something in the way of rave locations. I think there are a few, I saw.

http://www.genxglow.com/f51/

Brice
09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Well, here's a rave site for the world over, at any rate, Brice, babe. Should have something in the way of rave locations. I think there are a few, I saw.

Thank you Can! :huglove:

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Thank you Can! :huglove:

Hey, no prob, hon. I spend a lot of time on genXglow because its partially dedicated to Glowstringing, and I love Glowstringing. Haha.

tamez
09-06-2007, 10:42 AM
i was totally into going to Raves a few years ago
but, they've all but disappeared here.
about five years ago, they were declared illegal in Texas
so, there's only small parties now.
i've been to a couple illegal ones
but, they got busted pretty fast.

i just want to say, about the glowstick on a string thing?
watch out where you're swinging that shit man.
i don't know how many times, i'm trying to DANCE
and i get whacked by the stupid glow stick.
besides I think twirling fire is where it's at :nana:

oo, i wrote a poem about Raves once
i wonder if it's on this computer somewhere... hmm :orely:

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Illegal in Texas? Thats awful, man. How yucky.

Don't worry. When I glowstring, I do it where I have ample room. Haha... I never do it at clubs.

tamez
09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
ee
i found the poem I wrote.
i think i posted this at the .net a loooooooooong ass time ago
so it's not new or anything
but
this is for Candice and her thread

RAVE

Glowing neon shades and black.
light sticks float and dance in back.

lazers stream across the air.
vibrant colors blend everywhere.

sounds,
sights,
flying lights:

these you'll find
on special nights.

people bumpin,
breakin,
jumpin.

everyone moves
as beats
set grooves.

the room evolves:
a dancing zoo
all the lights illuminate you…

to the floor you must move
you feel the urge, the need to groove.

the base fills your chest cavity
the melody sets your body free.

feel the bliss you'll soon grow fond of.
let the sounds move you beyond love.
under lines of lazer's gleams,
find the world that ravers dream.

tamez
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
oo oo
i found another
actually i think this one is better:

Music Saves

The people lay sleeping
Dreaming of bliss.

Ignorant of pleasures
In nights that they miss.

The street remains,
Deserted and dark,
Yet down the alley:

FLASH!

A lighter spark?

Can it be,
A life there stirring?
Faintly I hear dance beats whirring…

It’s something beautiful,
And Something loud.
Outside quiet…
Inside,

CROWD!

Remember this secret
So you may find it:

Decipher the flyer
And we move higher
Together as one
Without the sun.

See a dawn rise
Just for our kind
And let the sleepers
Remain blind.

For our entrancing laser lights
Create celestial raver nights.

All,
Dance under,
The digital thunder,

Then loose your souls in electric waves
And pray they never stop throwing raves.

(cool thread Candice, i haven't dug these out in awhile)

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Ooh, I love it, Tamez! It really captures the mood of a good rave! Thanks for posting it!

Edit: I love them both! Ee~!

Matt
09-06-2007, 10:56 AM
:wub:

Candice Dionysus
09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
:huglove: @ everyone.

Darkthoughts
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I started raving in 1990 - over here they were mostly run by travellers and everyone called them "Hippy Raves" even though there were more organised outfits like Eclipse, Perception, Spiral Tribe etc.

Sometimes they were in warehouses, mostly though in huge tents in fields. The atmosphere was just indescribable, so together and uplifting - I was glad to have been a part of it.

It started becoming more club orientated in the mid 90's and thats when the atmosphere changed. It got more of a "look at me!" type affair, less a community and more fragmented. People's attitudes changed - personally I think because everyone switched from the hippy rave drugs (E, acid, shrooms) to coke and totally embodied the attitude that comes with that.

I went to a few good clubs in Liverpool and London before finally saying good bye to my raving days :D Its not something you can do once you have kids - they don't care if you've been up dancing all night until the next morning...raves and lie ins go hand in hand ;)

ZoNeSeeK
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Ive been to the Earthcore gigs a few years in a row over here - im a massive Infected Mushroom (psy trance) fan :P

Jean
09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
ee
i found the poem I wrote.
i think i posted this at the .net a loooooooooong ass time ago

Turtleback Lane is waiting. The carpet is already rolled. The bear is pacing back and forth, trying to lash his sides with his tail impatiently (and failing)

Really, we need more poems there! Post post post.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

tamez
09-07-2007, 04:56 AM
and here I didn't think Dark Thoughts could get any cooler duh! ;)
infected mushroom is genius Zone

and Jean, I'll see what i can do about posting some other poems too :huglove:

Candice Dionysus
09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm really pleased with the response to this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! I really appreciate it!

ZoNeSeeK
09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
and here I didn't think Dark Thoughts could get any cooler duh! ;)
infected mushroom is genius Zone

and Jean, I'll see what i can do about posting some other poems too :huglove:

IM are solely responsible for my love of any electronic music, I was hooked as soon as i heard Intelligate (the one using voice samples from Contact - very moving!). They are brilliant live, really use an array of musos and instruments other than their decks and mixing stuff.

funky dredd
09-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I started raving in 1990 - over here they were mostly run by travellers and everyone called them "Hippy Raves" even though there were more organised outfits like Eclipse, Perception, Spiral Tribe etc.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who was doing this back then! :cool:

Darkthoughts
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Heh heh! 1990 was very probably my best summer ever! :D

Infected Mushroom...that is such a brilliant name :lol: Tamez, the feeling is mutual then, you are one muy cool chica :wub:

Funky Dredd - what sort of tunes were people playing over there back then? Did Bizarre Incs - Playing With Knives make it over your side of the pond? That was a bit of an anthem here. And LFO!!! Also I loved this tune called Mr Kirk's Nightmare - totally freaked me out when I first heard it, because I was a bit mashed and thought it was an announcement...:P

We should have a top ten anthems list!...*goes off to dig out some tunes*

funky dredd
09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh ya Bizarre Inc, LFO and Mr. Kirks Nightmare were played over at this side. I'll need to go through my records and get some of them for you. But just off the cuff I'll name one...
Total Confusion - A Homeboy, A Hippie And A Funki Dredd :D (see a similarity there?) *whistles*

Mr.Kirk...your son is dead!

Candice Dionysus
09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Ooh, you'll have to give me a list of things I should download... Both of you!

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
2 Fabiola - The Milkyway Story
2 For Joy - Let The Bass Kick
Axis - Rolling With Rai
Bam Bam Musique - Milk Of Magnesia
Ben Chapmen - Erotic Animals (Love And Sex Mix)
Brothers In Rhythm - Such A Good Feeling
Caron Wheeler - Livin' In The Light
Cedric Winkleburger And The Yellow Blueberries- Take It Easy(Takin It Easy Remix)
Creative Thieves - Nasty Rhythm
Da Juice - C'Mon C'Mon
Doo Lally D - Floorquake
Double Sense - You Make Me Feel
D-Ream - U R The Best Thing
E-Zee Possee - Everything Starts With An E
E-Lustrious - Dance No More
Energize - Report To The Dancefloor
Eon - Spice
Erogenous Zone - Take Me
Eternal13 - Eternal
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Nightmare Mix) <-----CLASSIC!!!!
Evolution - Metropolis
Felix - Don't You Want Me
Freshtrax & Ace II With Pressure Zone - X-O-Cet - Destruction (War Zone Mix)
Genaside II - Sirens of Acre Lane
Genaside II - Narra Mine
JC-001 & DJ D-Zire - Favourite Breaks
Jinny - Never Give Up
Jinny - Keep Warm
King For A Day - Kick That Rhythm
Layizon - The Ride Insisde
Liquid - Liquid Is Liquid
Liquid - Sweet Harmony
Love Revolution - Give It To Me Baby
M.A.N.I.C. - I'm Comin' Hardcore
MB - You Don't Get Stop
Marathon - Movin'
MC Magik Max - I Don't Want (Your Love)

....more to come!

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 08:57 AM
cont...

MC Wildski - Warrior
Mr & Mrs Dale - It's You
My Friend Sam - It's You
Mystery Productions Inc. - Tainted Cash
Nation 12 - Listen To The Drummer
Neutron 9000 - Love's Got A Feeling
Orchestra JB - Come Alive
Pin-Up Girls - Take Me Away
PKA - Powergen
PKA - Temperature's Rising <----What a tune!!!!
Primal Scream - Come Together
Quadrophonia - Man With The Master Plan
Ramjac - Massif
Ravers Choice - Hey Jude
Rebel MC - Tribal Base
Return Of The Living Acid - Get Funky In Cardington Hangers
Rhythm On The Loose - Break Of Dawn
Rhythm Quest - Closer To All Your Dreams
SL2 - Way In My Brain
Son'z Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out
Taste Experience - Frustration
The Source Feat. Candi Staton - You Got The Love (Eron's Bootleg Mix)
Tonal Fusion - Broken Rhyme
Toni Scott - The Chief
Toxen - Nightmare Walking (I am a nightmare walking - Ice T sample)
Turnatable Terror - Break
Tyrrel Corporation - Better Days
Unit 3 UK - We Are Family
Westbam - Alarm Clock <---To this day I still hate this tune!
Wood Allen - Airport '89
YBU - Keep It Up

last but not least

A Homeboy A Hippie And A Funki Dredd - Total Confusion :D

That's all I have on my work computer. I'll dig into my records later...BTW these aren't downloaded, they are from my vinyl collection that I put into mp3.

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 09:33 AM
If you want to download some classic mixes Jody Wisternoff (Way Out West) put together some Old Skool mixes for a couple of different shows doing an Old Skool day. You can get them from Hybridized at the following links.

Jody Wisternoff - Danceradio.gr Sessions (http://www.hybridized.org/sets/403)
Jody Wisternoff - Danceradio Shut Up And Dance Tribute (http://www.hybridized.org/sets/412)
Jody Wisternoff - Danceradio Old Skool Day Jungle Mix (http://www.hybridized.org/sets/424)

If you look at the page you will see the songs listed, below that you will see a torrent link and then below that you will see "Download with HTTP", you will see a button that says "save". Just click that and you will be transferred to another page and then download will start.

Jody is one half of Way Out West and has been around for a long time (since 1990 or before). He happens to be one of my favorite DJ's and is always consistent with his mixes! For other mixes by other artists see http://www.hybridized.org/.

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Also here is a picture of me with Sander Kleinenberg last year. Great guy!
Also in the picture is my brothers girlfriend.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/30/sandermonijoncv0.jpg

Darkthoughts
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! It took me ages to read through those lists because I was playing each tune in my head :lol: Do you have The Wickedest Sound - Rebel MC (ft Tenor Fly I think) I love that tune - I had the 12" once but it got pinched somewhere along the line.

I also love the True Faith version of Take Me Away...oh and Reel to Reel - practically everything they did!

I have a bootleg of a Sasha set at Perception where he played the most awesome song - it starts with a girl doing a sort of voice over, and then she goes into the song - I have NO idea what its called or who its by...it starts with her saying:

Baby, I think theres something you should know
I don't think I'll be needing you anymore
Its just one of those things, I hope you'll understand...

the chorus is:
temptation is a part of life, it doesn't matter if its wrong or right
temptation is a part of life, it doesn't matter if its wrong or right - it makes you do, what you love

any idea what that is? (Yes, I'm one of those people, who walks into record stores and goes - do you have this song?...It sorta goes *sings badly* :lol: )

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
It's Corina - Temptation :D
I have several Rebel MC tracks but I need to go through my records and find out which ones.

johnny
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
But DOI100, if you can find it, is a nice, safe, and legal alternative to the rave drugs that I've seen.

are you referring to 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine ? also known as DOI. its a close chemical relative of DOB (aka STP, which caused a huge freak out in the 60s when a bunch of hippies thought it was LSD), as well as MDMA (ecstasy, which you so despise). they are all phenethylamines. very closely related in chemical structure and action.

if so, it is NOT legal due to the analog act. read about that here (http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/law/analog/analog_info1.shtml).
that being said, I think you are in Canada? if so, then it is probably legal? I don't know.

as far as it being safe, that is pretty debatable as well. there have been several deaths from phenethylamines very similar to DOI. I haven't been following the research chemical scene in the past few years, so I don't really know what has happened recently. however, if you are talking about DOI, then IMO its pretty foolish to think it is completely safe, since it is a research chemical which means there is little to no scientific research having been conducted on its pharmacological properties/long term effects (unlike LSD which has tomes written about it).

I have been involved in the rave scene in varying degrees for about ten years. I started spinning records in 1998 and I have spun at raves all over since then. for the few years it existed from '99 through '03 I was a part of the largest American happy hardcore crew, American Cheese.

you are near Toronto? did you ever go to any Hullaballo parties? or WEMF? I have attended several WEMFs and quite a few Hullas.

btw, darkthoughts and funkee dread, thanks for bringing back some memories. I love some of those tracks... Mr Kirk's Nightmare is just fuckin great... SL2.. LFO>>> so many good tracks... ahhhhh

funky dredd
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
btw, darkthoughts and funkee dread, thanks for bringing back some memories. I love some of those tracks... Mr Kirk's Nightmare is just fuckin great... SL2.. LFO>>> so many good tracks... ahhhhh

Word!!!!! :cool:

Candice Dionysus
09-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks you guys! Especially Funky, you rock, man!

Johnny, I am in Canada, and it is legal here. A friend of mine got caught with it, and they had to drop the charges when the lab results came back because its not on the banned substance list here.
So, yeah.
I don't take it anymore, though. Not since the end of last September. And I don't plan on starting again any time soon. Its just not fun anymore, and that was the only reason I did it in the first place. I guess I just did it too much. [shrugs]

funky dredd
09-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks you guys! Especially Funky, you rock, man!
I don't take it anymore, though. Not since the end of last September. And I don't plan on starting again any time soon. Its just not fun anymore, and that was the only reason I did it in the first place. I guess I just did it too much. [shrugs]

That's just old skool stuff...I have a ton more both new and old. When work settles down I'll post more of them.
Also i think you probably just got wise to the drug, not necessarily did it to much...

Oh a couple more just came to me.

Shut Up and Dance - I'm Raving I'm Raving
Yargo - The Love Revolution (Justin Robertson's Scream Team Remix)

Yargo's The Love Revolution is about going to a Rave. :thumbsup:

Candice Dionysus
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Ooh, awesome. Thanks. ^_^

Darkthoughts
09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
:lol: I thought the title was probably a given!! Cheers though - its such a badass track - her vocals are wicked :thumbsup:

Just a few more to add to the old skool list:

Shades of Rhythm - Sweet Sensation
Human Resource - Dominator (could never make up my mind whether I liked it or not, but it always made me dance :P )
Ratpack - Searchin' For My Rizla
Krome and Time - This Sound is for the Underground
Lennie De Ice - We Are I.E
Manix - Feel Real Good
Quadrophonia - Quadrophonia
The Scientist - The Bee

Theres loads more that I don't know the names of...but I could sing them to you...:D

funky dredd
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Sing away :D

Darkthoughts
09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I was serious...I hope you are!! :D

Ok, theres one that has a guy singing something like "Whos that man in the windowpane?"...and another track I LOVE that either says "Kicking in the beat" or "kick it in the beat" - the rest of the lyrics go "if you're sad and lonely, and you've got nothing to do - I know the feelin' baby, baby - I know whats good for you..."

Candice Dionysus
09-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Haha! Singing.

XD

Darkthoughts
09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
You'd laugh even more if you could actually see/hear me...I can't help having a little groove to my own singing :lol:

Brice
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
You'd laugh even more if you could actually see/hear me...I can't help having a little groove to my own singing :lol:

Yes, we should be able to really see and here you.

Candice Dionysus
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I love singing, but I hate my voice. XD

johnny
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
:lol: I thought the title was probably a given!! Cheers though - its such a badass track - her vocals are wicked :thumbsup:

Just a few more to add to the old skool list:

Ratpack - Searchin' For My Rizla
Krome and Time - This Sound is for the Underground

tunes!!!

anything by Krome and Time really...

funky dredd
09-12-2007, 05:21 AM
I was serious...I hope you are!! :D

Ok, theres one that has a guy singing something like "Whos that man in the windowpane?"...and another track I LOVE that either says "Kicking in the beat" or "kick it in the beat" - the rest of the lyrics go "if you're sad and lonely, and you've got nothing to do - I know the feelin' baby, baby - I know whats good for you..."

Who's That Man.... = Bomb The Bass - Bug Powder Dust
Bomb The Bass also did "You See Me In 3D", "Beat Dis", "The Air You Breathe" and "Megablast". Also Tim Simenon did some remixing for several Depeche Mode singles and an album.
As far as the second one goes if I heard a sample of it I might be able to tell you.

funky dredd
09-12-2007, 05:24 AM
I forgot to mention that Tim Simenon is also half of Nation 12. They did a few tracks "Listen To The Drummer (Get Wicked)" and "Electrofear".

Darkthoughts
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I've heard some of those Depeche Mode remixes and they are amazing...also a tune which had a sample of Freddie Mercury singing "Is this the real life?" which was used on a dance track more recently, but the old one was waaaay better. Do you know another track that, well it hasn't got singing, just someone chanting sounds - they start off going "Um da da, um dodo, um da da, um do" its far out :thumbsup:

Listen to the Drummer...was that "Peace, love, unity and having fun - lets move on cuz its time to groove on, hear the drummer get wicked!" ?? :D

funky dredd
09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Do you know another track that, well it hasn't got singing, just someone chanting sounds - they start off going "Um da da, um dodo, um da da, um do" its far out :thumbsup:

Listen to the Drummer...was that "Peace, love, unity and having fun - lets move on cuz its time to groove on, hear the drummer get wicked!" ?? :D

Have no idea with the first one.
The second one is Chad Jackson - Hear The Drummer

:D

Darkthoughts
09-13-2007, 12:36 PM
:lol: that was well cheesy!!

funky dredd
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
BTW...it's the raggnatious mix

http://www.discogs.com/release/526007

Candice Dionysus
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
So the rave that sparked me creating this thread was last night... Oh my GOD I've never had so much fun (but I was having sprite and vodka's all night). I was soooo wiped out by the time I got home, that I don't even remember what time it was. XD I just got in a cab, got home, and passed out.
I know they went through two DJ's while I was there, though... DJ Marty McFly was awesome. He really had me moving.
Melicious was more poppy stuff, which I had expected, so I calmed down a bit and chilled out when she came on.

Darkthoughts
09-15-2007, 01:02 PM
DJ Marty McFly?!!! How fucking cool is that!!! :thumbsup: :D

Funky - talking of ragga, I have to give a shout for SL2 - On A Ragga Tip...wooo, got me on the dance floor EVERY time!!

Candice - I don't know if you get this but, when I used to go raving it felt sometimes like I was living two lives. I had one set of raving friends, but my other friends that I went to college with weren't into it, so with them I'd goto gigs and indie clubs and it was bizarre at times - like you'd have a real blast at a rave and you'd be with the "other" friends - and it wasn't like you couldn't tell them...just that if you did, they wouldn't quite get it.

funky dredd
09-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's some classics...
Yothu Yindi - Treaty
The Source - Sanctuary of Love
M&M Feat. Rachel Wallace
Kicks Like A mule - The Bouncer
Laws Of Rhythm - Baby (Come On Lets)
Fits Of Gloom - Differences
The Grid - Figures Of Eight
Coco Steel & Lovebomb - Work It
King Bee - Back By Dope Demand
Hysterix - Talk To Me (Sasha's Full Music Master)
Doo Lolly D - Floorquake
The Sound Foundation - Quiet Child
Adventures Of Stevie V - Dirty Cash (Red Zone Mix)
Duran Duran - Save Prayer
Taboo - Good Life
T.N.G - Bass Kick
Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath (Bootleg version, which is slowed to 108 BPM)
Mr. Peach - Do It
Cool Lemon - Cool Lemon
A Guy Called Gerald - Emotions Electric
DEA - You Think It's Over Now
Gongo - Masterblaster
Zero B - Lock Up
Cotton Club - Cotton Whool
Massiv - Unfinished Sympathy
Unity - Unity
Gat Decor - Passion
Part E - Give Me Your Love
Rhythm Invention - Ad Infinitum
Success And Effect (White Label)
Frontline - Scream
Cosmo & Dibs - Star Eyes
Blame - Music Takes You
Trilogy - Love Me Forever

funky dredd
09-15-2007, 04:10 PM
D-Shake - Yaaah
Aphex Twin - Digeridoo (Same as Analogue Bubblebath, original @ 146 BPM)
Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
Rabbit In The Moon - O.B.E
Rabbit In The Moon - Orisha
Rhythm Invention - Chronoclasm/Can't Take It
UR003 - Final Frontier
Panic - Voice Of Energy
Bomb The Bass - The Air You Breathe
Morgan King - I Am Free
Hypnotone - Hypnotonic
Altern 8 - Armageddon/DJ Nex's Break
Praise - Easy Way Out
Leftfield - Release The Pressure
L.D Jam Inc - Rude Boyz Gettin Funky
Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul
Nitrous - Rok Skool
TC 1992 - Funky Guitar
Hypnotone - Dream Beam
Electrotet - I Love You
Electra - Autumn Love
The Lilac Time - Dreaming
Nitribit - Harmonic Drive (In The Air Mix)
Humba Humba - Voice Of Africa
Nitrous Oxide - Lazer Worshippers
Enigmalist - Goal Kick
Ben Chapman - Erotic Animals
D-Shake - Interstellar Overdrive
Brothers And Sisters (White Label)
Power Fun - I Want
Orchestra JB - Free Spirit
Soul Patrol Featuring Cold 45 Automatic - Cocaine

That's all I have in my DJ crate. I'll need to go digging for more (I have a whole closet full).

johnny
09-16-2007, 10:05 AM
hey Candice, ever seen DJ Virus? hes from Toronto. hes an old friend of mine. dunno if he still plays out much anymore, though. its been a few years.

Candice Dionysus
09-16-2007, 04:53 PM
DJ Marty McFly?!!! How fucking cool is that!!! :thumbsup: :D

Candice - I don't know if you get this but, when I used to go raving it felt sometimes like I was living two lives. I had one set of raving friends, but my other friends that I went to college with weren't into it, so with them I'd goto gigs and indie clubs and it was bizarre at times - like you'd have a real blast at a rave and you'd be with the "other" friends - and it wasn't like you couldn't tell them...just that if you did, they wouldn't quite get it.

Yassuh, Marty McFly. He was totally awesome. I hardly sat down when he was up there doing his thing. Except to drink, because I didn't wanna spill vodka and sprite all over me... Haha.

I dunno. I hardly have any friends to begin with. I've got, like, two or three people from work, and then there's Twiggy, Amanda, Jay, Minion, my brother, a few people in Toronto... Most of the people I know are acquaintances, and the people I do consider friends are the ones I don't see so much anymore.
The thing with that is, Minion, Amanda, and Twiggy are ravers, too. But Amanda goes to school in TO, Twiggy is... Hard to get ahold of... And into drugs I don't like, to boot. And Minion's underage until next June, which means I can only go to all ages events with him.
Like, I ended up going alone. Meaghan was supposed to come, but she got scared and backed out last minute... Twiggy was supposed to come, but he had no time on his phone, so I couldn't get ahold of him, either.
So just as always in the past, I ended up going alone. I never seem to keep in contact with the people I meet at raves, so I always end up raving on my own. I always have fun, though, so I don't so much care.

tamez
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
aww, wish i coulda gone with ya girlie! :huglove:

Candice Dionysus
09-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I wish you coulda, too! :wub:

Darkthoughts
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Me three :huglove: And by the way...ot for this thread but...thats the loveliest photo of you I've ever seen (in the fottergrafs thread) :thumbsup:

Candice Dionysus
09-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Me three :huglove: And by the way...ot for this thread but...thats the loveliest photo of you I've ever seen (in the fottergrafs thread) :thumbsup:

D'aww, you're a sweetie. Thank you!:huglove:

funky dredd
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
A couple of sets from a long time ago. You old skoolers might recognize a few tracks.

Get Into It

Side A
The Grid - Figures Of Eight
Fluke - Electric Guitar
Gat Decor - Passion
Tessier-Ashpool - Zero G
Crunch - 50 Cents
?? - High Energy
Lickwid Lips Featuring Chantzi D - Take My Love
Atlas - Compass Error

Side B
THK - France
The Riders Of The Soundguard - The Ride Of The Soundguard
?? - ??
?? - ??
Thompson Twins - Play With Me (Jane)
The Grid - Crystal Clear
House Junkie - Skeletone
?? - Be Alright

Get Into It (http://funkydredd.blacknineteen.com/jzdanis/Get%20Into%20It/Get%20Into%20It.zip)

Speed Control

Side A
BT - Embracing The Sunshine
Acorn Arts - Vanilla
Shimone - Amazone
Acorn Arts - Speed Control
Spooky - Little Bullet
Exoterix - Void
?? - ??

Side B
Murk - Bugged Out
Jagga - Na-Na-Na
Acorn Arts - Candyman
Evolution - Photogenic
Lionrock - Packet Of Peace
Stereogen - Hold Me
The Grid - Rollercoaster
D.O.P - Electronic Funk
Acorn Arts - Body

Speed Control (http://funkydredd.blacknineteen.com/jzdanis/Speed%20Control/Speed%20Control.zip)

funky dredd
12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
ba bump!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4r77p

A very old tape from a club called Brassy's.
There are some really great old skool tracks on this one. I recorded it and cleaned it up!

Enjoy :)

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 03:07 AM
Nice one Funky!! I shall have a lil' groove to that while I do my chores :D

funky dredd
12-13-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a 100 more of those :D

Darkthoughts
12-14-2007, 02:42 AM
We should totally set up our own hippy rave organisation :D You're the DJ, Candice and I can be dancers/fly posters :lol:

funky dredd
12-14-2007, 05:42 AM
:lol: We can do that!

Candice Dionysus
12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd love that. ^_^

Ah! I return to my own thread! Glad to see its still being posted in.

Darkthoughts
12-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Yep, just by our little rave ka-tet though :D :grouphug:

Candice Dionysus
12-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah, but thats better than no one. ^_^

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I should send my friend that link, funky. He's an ex-raver who loves making trance and house when not doing his rock/shoegaze music.

funky dredd
12-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Send it along. :)