PDA

View Full Version : How to: The Wiki's

Matt
09-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Figured since we seem to have this down (for the most part), I would stick a little tutorial out here explaining what the wiki forums are and how they are used.

NuWiki

Is the product we are using and it does a really cool thing. It turns a forum into a wiki. A thread in the forum with the same name acts as the "front page". All other threads in the forum act as the "articles".

The first post in each "article" is it's page (see: Roland Deschain entry is first post in thread)--subsequent posts represent the "discussion" on each article.

So basically a forum that is graphically represented through the first post and then cross referenced and tabled at the bottom. Plus auto links. The auto links can be turned on to link any article in the wiki forum when its name is typed exactly elsewhere in the forum.

That is the first main reason we are using it, the second is its easy and familiar to everyone because it uses standard posting (BB) code

The third is its ability to work in all kinds of situations. We now have the main Towerpedia! wiki that will be for all things "All World". The primary wiki on the site.

but also the tower connections one that is just for that piece of information. Organized the same way but different and is also represented by a page on the site. http://www.thedarktower.org/towerconnections

High potential--we may use it next for this catalog. Because that is yet another reason to cross reference information.

Both wiki's are opened to all members to add and edit.

We wanted to make sure the information was collaborative among the members

How To:

Using the wiki's is simple. You may create an article by a few methods
Link in the toolbar up top>pulldown>create article (this will be a towerpedia article by default)
Edit an existing article to include the information you want the new article to be about (ex: Update Blaine's article to mention Lud). In the example you would put [*wiki]Lud[/wiki*] (or simply two brackets on either side of word without asterisks) When you save the Blaine article, the word "Lud" is red. Click it and it starts a new article called "Lud"
This is how is should be done in the connections wiki since the tool bar link is set to update the Towerpedia! which will obviously have tons more traffic. Its really easy to update and use. Daghain is monitoring changes to it but we have it basically wide open. Please feel free to contact her for either wiki and Darkthoughts on the connections one. Plus me of course. :grouphug:

I think these can be great if we all chip in, thanks for all the help each of you has contributed so far. :thumbsup:

Daghain
09-03-2007, 06:21 AM
And please read the guidelines before posting - lots more good info in there, as well. PM or email me if you need any help - that's what I'm here for! :)

Great Old One
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Gotta hand it to you guys. This site just gets better and bbetter.. loved the wedding photos:thumbsup:

Daghain
09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks! You can contribute to the wiki too if you want - feel free to poke around in there!

Matt
09-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Gotta hand it to you guys. This site just gets better and bbetter.. loved the wedding photos:thumbsup:

Thanks Mom!!

Glad you got a chance to stop by :wub:

alinda
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
This past poster is a protected spammer:arg:how to ban him/her?

Matt
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Send a PM to Hannah so she can totally delete the sign on. I will remove the posts.

You SUCK SPAMMER!! Leave us alone. :fairy: