PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson R.I.P 1958-2009

Room 217 Caretaker
06-29-2009, 06:44 AM
I’m sure you’re trying to figure out why in the world Mulleins would post anything about Jackson on a site for Stephen King collectors.

Before you get angry and post nasty responses, let’s dig deep in our King collecting brains and play a little trivia.

Before you run out to the web and do a simple search (yes it’s easily found).

Let’s see who knows:

Question: What 1993 project did Stephen King, Michael Jackson & Mick Garris create together?

THRILLER is not the answer.

Dig deep (remember, no sneaky peaky at the web)

I’ll post the answer along with some information about the project tonight.

Don’t post your answer here. PM me your answer.
I’ll take the winners names; place them in a hat for a prize drawing.

Since it’s Michael Whelans birthday today. The prize is something King related and signed by Michael.

Let the fun begin. :rock:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

flaggwalkstheline
06-29-2009, 06:48 AM
I have no idea
but I'm gonna post some videos from the king of pop here just because

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Thriller

YouTube - Michael Jackson - You Rock My World

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Bad

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Beat It

alinda
06-29-2009, 07:09 AM
no clue at all. darn!:wtf:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-29-2009, 08:10 AM
King's only involvement was the IDEA. Stan Winston & Mick Garris wrote the screenplay.

Brice
06-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I have it on my laptop. :)

Room 217 Caretaker
06-29-2009, 09:16 AM
King's only involvement was the IDEA. Stan Winston & Mick Garris wrote the screenplay.

Stephen King wrote the first screenplay in 1993 but because of the controversy over allegations with Jackson, the project was shelved. To get the project back on track, Jackson and director Stan Winston, who has been friends with Jackson for over 20 years, reworked the screenplay, centering it on the song 2 Bad.

It premiered for one week in selected theaters in the US alongside Stephen King's Thinner.

Kings name does appear and credited:

Story by: Stephen King, Stan Winston, Mick Garris & Michael Jackson

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Room 217 Caretaker
06-29-2009, 04:54 PM
To give our friends on the West Coast time to play the game, I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to post the answer, information and winner of the signed Michael Whelan item.

Hope this is OK with everyone that has played so far. The hat is getting full with names :)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Here's a response from West Coast:

I did not know the answer without research, so to play fair, I'll be sitting this one out.

Good luck, everyone.

Spencer
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I knew this one. I may be wrong about the length of the work, but I do know the name of it and the significance of it's length.

However, I've never seen it. :lol: I'll correct that soon.

Spencer
06-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Speaking of Michael Whelan, (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!), has anyone asked Michael Whelan his thoughts about Michael Jackson's passing? He had some interesting takes on Michael at Palavercon, and, of course, this amazing album cover is his work:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Jacksons-victory.jpg

Patrick
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
:o I had no idea that cover was Whelan's work.

Room 217 Caretaker
06-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks for all the great stories sent through PM on this video. This has been a lot of fun.

The winner will be announced very soon (I have to put the names in a hat and have my wife pull one out)

And now...........the answer to the trivia question:

Ghosts

(Interview taken from Cannes film festival program with director Stan Winston)

Ghosts is a musical movie, 38 mins long, with Michael Jackson playing both the main characters.

Stephen King wrote the first screenplay for Ghosts in 1993 but because of the controversy over allegations with Jackson, the project was shelved.

To get the project back on track, Jackson and director Stan Winston, who has been friends with Jackson for over 20 years, reworked the screenplay, centering it on the song 2 Bad. "It started out being 12 to 15 minutes long but as we were shooting it grew in power and length," Winston explains. He promises Cannes that Ghosts will show Jackson as we've never seen him before.
The first of those characters is a Maestro who lives alone in a haunted looking castle on a hill. It’s known he has been entertaining the local town children with scary magic tricks which they have found to be pure fun.

Ghosts premiered for one week in selected theaters in the US alongside Stephen King's Thinner

Michael Jackson also plays the role of the second main character, the Town Mayor, a white aging, overweight man. The makeup effects are amazing it’s not easy to tell this isn't a real human actor let alone guess this role is being played by Michael Jackson. The Mayor leads some of the town’s folk up to the castle along with some of the kids on a mission to run the Maestro out of town.
They believe he is not just entertaining the children but scaring them. They or at least the Town Mayor perceive the Maestro as a "Freak" and "Weirdo". The children say the Maestro is harmless and want him to be left alone.
When the Mayor backed up by the town’s people finds the Maestro and tells him "Are you going to leave, or am I going to have to make you?" The Maestro is unfazed by this and questions "You're trying to scare me, aren't you? I guess I have no choice, I have to try and scare you." This is when the movies special effects really begin.

The Maestro then reveals he is not alone in the castle and many of his ghostly friends start appearing from balls of light thrown by the Maestro. Michael performs a dance to the song "2 Bad". This is also followed by some more routines, one with Michael's skeleton dancing and even moonwalking. The Maestro also enters into the body of the Mayor and makes the Mayor dance to the music. The Mayor ends up disappearing through a window and the town’s people appear to accept the Maestro.

Overall the movie really does make the most of some of the latest special effects of the time. The dance routines, although somewhat reminiscent of Thriller, with Michael leading ghosts from past era instead of zombies are amazing and the music is Michael Jackson at his best, maybe not as regards hit records, but ideal for the movie. This is must see movie for any fan of Michael Jackson and Stephen King.

Songs featured in the film were "2 Bad" which was from Michael Jackson's History album and Ghosts and Is It Scary which were both taken from Blood on the Dance Floor, which was a History in the Mix album with some new tacks.

Directed by: Stan Winston
Produced by: Michael Jackson, Stan Winston & David Nicksay
Screenplay by: Stan Winston & Mick Garris
Story by: Stephen King, Stan Winston, Mick Garris & Michael Jackson
Based upon an original concept by: Michael Jackson & Stephen King

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Room 217 Caretaker
06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Congratulations to one of our newest members here:

Cody44 you are the winner

DT picture signed by Michael Whelan with his famous gold pen

(not auto-pen, it's real)

:rock::thumbsup::rock:

Cody44 please PM me your address so I can get this on the way to you.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
06-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Awesome! This is very cool of you Ralph! And congratulations to Cody44. :D

jhanic
06-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Congratulations, cody44!

John

Randall Flagg
06-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Michael Jackson's Ghost:

YouTube - michael jackson's ghost

turtlex
06-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Ralph - That's so cool of you. :grouphug:

Congrats, Cody44 !!!

Patrick
06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Ralph, this contest was very cool of you. And what a cool prize.

cody44, congratulations on your win!

cody44
06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow! Awesome. Thank you very much! to celebrate I'll post my favorite Michael Jackson music video. :drool:

Man In the Mirror

vacant lot
06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Congrats Cody44!!

Ari_Racing
07-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Congratulations, Cody44!!! :excited: