PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Bev Vincent
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
From Mellencamp's official web site (http://www.mellencamp.com/)

Meanwhile, casting continues for the projected "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" CD/book package involving a recording of the songs and the dialog of John's musical collaboration with Stephen King. No word yet on who's on board, but several major artists have signed on.

5) "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" CD/Book Package: This will involve a recording of the songs and the dialog of John's musical collaboration with Stephen King, with T-Bone Burnett producing and acting as musical director. It won't be a "cast album," but will contain performances by major artists. The book will include the text of the musical-also called the "book" in theater lingo.

If things go as planned, the set will be available prior to the "Ghost Brothers" opening next April at Atlanta's Alliance Theater. In the works for 10 years, the production remains a priority for both John and King, who have become close friends during the intense collaboration.

Remember: None of this is written in stone! Everything is subject to change!

mae
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Great news. I was hoping this would happen. I could probably do without the CD, just the actual script or play or whatever the format is.

Bev Vincent
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
The CD is perhaps the closest many people will get to seeing the play, so I'm pleased it will be released in this format. And I can't wait to hear who they enlist to perform on the album.

Matt
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I hope they take the thing on the road. Not quite enough to get me to Atlanta.

However, John Mellencamps "The Best That I Could Do" is one of my favorite greatest hits albums.

Brice
05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
A CD is nice. I wish they'd put it on dvd though.

jhanic
05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
My thoughts exactly, Brice. A DVD would be nice for those of us who have no chance of seeing the show itself.

John

mae
09-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Ms. Mod says so over at the SKMB. The board is closed now, so I can't ask if she means just the originally-announced April date is pushed back or if it's canceled for good. Which would suck.

Bev Vincent
09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
The CD/book package is still in the works, but plans to turn it into a Broadway play are on the back burner.

Nerak
09-19-2009, 03:30 PM
bummer dude!

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Really, It should be retitled as

"The Almost Ghost Brothers of Somewhere Off Broadway!"

mae
09-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Now I'm confused. Ms. Mod says:

This project was originally planned as a stage musical for which Steve has written the play and John Mellencamp wrote the music, but it was never intended to be a book.

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 07:22 AM
"The book" is the term for the text part of a musical.

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 07:43 AM
ell I am confused too John! What I read from Ms Mod is exactly the opposite of what I fread from Bev.

Bottomn Line

1 - is there ever going to be a book?
2 - is there ever going to be a play/musical?

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 07:50 AM
The play/musical is way on the back burner. As I understand it, there will be a CD release next year which is supposed to contain "the book," which is simply the text of the proposed musical. Everything but the lyrics. It won't really read like a novel. Of course, they may decide to drop that part of it -- we'll see.

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Bev

mae
09-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Right. I was under the impression the CD/book package mentioned before would contain this text. That's what was meant by "book". Nobody expected an actual novel. More like a play.

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 08:05 AM
According to Rolling Stone, two of the artists performing on the CD will be Elvis Costello and Neko Case

herbertwest
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Right. I was under the impression the CD/book package mentioned before would contain this text. That's what was meant by "book". Nobody expected an actual novel. More like a play.

Am sure that it was also posted by Lilja on his website, with details of the book...

DanishCollector
09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
a bit like reading a screenplay/script I imagine

BillyxRansom
10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
According to Rolling Stone, two of the artists performing on the CD will be Elvis Costello and Neko Case

:excited:

mae
03-30-2011, 04:38 AM
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/king-mellencamp-musical-tuned-890814.html

Suspense has surrounded "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," the Stephen King-John Mellencamp musical that the Alliance Theatre announced for the 2008-09 season, then promptly delayed. But the on-then-off-then-oft-rumored world premiere is officially back on again, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned.

Atlanta's biggest theater, which announced only the first part of its 2011-12 season earlier this month, saved a big surprise for Wednesday's announcement of the second half, carried exclusively in the AJC, including "Ghost Brothers" among its final four plays.

The King-Mellencamp collaboration, with musical direction by renowned producer T-Bone Burnett ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?"), will close the Alliance main stage season in spring 2012. Alliance artistic director Susan V. Booth will direct. That, too, is a surprise if you believe Web sites such as Liljas Library: The World of Stephen King (www.liljas-library.com), which has quoted Mellencamp as saying that Swedish actress Liv Ullmann would helm it.

The Alliance describes the show as a "Southern Gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy and ghosts of the past."

The fate of the show itself has been a bit of a mystery. When it was delayed in May 2008, Booth said in an Alliance statement that the creative team was "in agreement with the evolution of the new work-in-progress and the direction it was moving in development" but realized that "the script would not be ready by spring 2009."

There were numerous online reports that the musical would be part of the Alliance's 2010-11 season. But then it wasn't included in the lineup announced in February 2010, and the Alliance had nothing to say officially then on the show's prospects.

"The Alliance one time previously – and one time only – announced this show," theater spokesman Terry Sagedy said Tuesday. "The postponement at that time was due to the challenges of delivering revisions in time for the scheduled production dates.

"Obviously, with a creative team of this stature, there’s a lot of attention and speculation," he continued. "Fact is, we’re going forward with the piece’s premiere at the Alliance in 2012."

Sagedy added that Booth, as the director, had given input on the script.

Also being announced Wednesday: Yasmina Reza's comedy "God of Carnage"; "Fairytale Lives of Russian Girls" by Meg Miroshnik, eighth winner of the Alliance's Kendeda Graduate Playwriting Competition; and Stephen Jeffreys' bluesy drama "I Just Stopped By to See the Man."

The Alliance's earlier 2011-12 announcement was highlighted by the Tony-winning musical "Into the Woods"; a revival of "Golda's Balcony" with its original Broadway star, Tovah Feldshuh; and "Broke," a world premiere comedy by Atlanta playwright Janece Shaffer. A Second City comedy revue, "A Christmas Carol" and the family shows "The Real Tweenagers of Atlanta" and "The Wizard of Oz" completed the initial announcement.

mae
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/stephen-king-coming-to-944772.html

The Alliance Theatre's "Taste of the Season" event promoting its 2011-12 slate will feature an especially notable special guest May 24-25: Stephen King, whose musical with John Mellencamp, "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," will receive its world premiere at the Midtown theater next spring.

King will speak live at the Alliance on May 24 and via video on May 25. The event is by invitation only, but the Alliance will extend an invite to anyone purchasing season subscriptions (starting at $80) by May 19.

Also appearing at the promotional event will be Tovah Feldshuh, Broadway star of "Golda’s Balcony"; Atlanta playwright Janece Shaffer ("Broke"); and Alliance artist-in- dialogue Pearl Cleage.

The King-Mellencamp collaboration, with musical direction by renowned producer T-Bone Burnett ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?"), will close the Alliance main stage season. Alliance artistic director Susan V. Booth will direct. The run will be April 4–May 13, 2012.

The Alliance describes "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" as a "Southern Gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy and ghosts of the past."

Information: 404-733-5000.

mae
05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/qdarkland-writer-stephen-king-957296.html

The horror master professed that he was a little frightened to be facing a full house at the Alliance Theatre's "Taste of the Season" event on Tuesday night.

"Sometimes people ask what scares me," Stephen King said during the Alliance's 2011-12 season preview. "Um, these situations."

The crowd howled and the famed author, who didn't seem that nervous to start with, loosened up as he recounted the genesis of "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," his musical with John Mellencamp that will receive its delayed world premiere at the Alliance next April. He even did a pitchfork-sharp imitation of Mellencamp's Midwestern rasp as he recalled the singer-songwriter approaching him more than a decade ago to collaborate on the chilling story he'd heard after visiting an Indiana lakeside cabin he was thinking about buying.

"The Shining" author tells it better, of course. But in short, "Darkland" is about two teen brothers who drank too much at a dance, drove to the cabin with a girl and drank some more, then had a gun accident that led to a fatal wreck in a car speeding to the hospital. As in most King tales, the deaths are merely part of the creepy backdrop in a dissection of the flaws of human relations.

We later met up with the strikingly genial, sandpaper-voiced writer.

Q: How long have you known John Mellencamp?

A: I've known him since we started working on this. Basically we shared an agent and we didn't know it because it's from CAA [Creative Artists Agency] and they keep really quiet. They're almost like psychiatrists. John was talking with my agent and said, "I'm really looking for somebody to write the book for this thing, someone who's good with scary like Stephen King." And my agent said, "I agent Stephen."

John came down to Florida and told me the idea and I said I'd like to try. Because it's something different.

Q: Is the story that he told you that led to writing the musical true?

A: John Ford in "Liberty Valance" said, "If they give you truth and legend, print the legend." We printed the legend. I don't know how much of it's true. You know what? There's a story like that about every house, every hotel.

Q: Why did the setting move to Mississippi?

A: Because John loves Tennessee Williams and he really liked the idea of it being some sort of a Southern-feeling thing, like Blanche DuBois and all that. And I love William Faulkner and I love stories about the South and it just seemed natural. It's a Gothic thing, so why not make it a Southern Gothic?

Q: How scary is it?

A: If it's staged the right way, with the right lights and the music, it could be pretty scary. It's not for kids, unless they've got the price of admission and then [King rubs his hands like Scrooge] it's, "Come on in, kids!"

Q: Is it hard to be scary in a musical?

A: John was really adamant that he wanted to use a small group. And I said, "Like blue jeans music?" And he said, "Yeah, yeah, we want to get away from all the strings and the high tenor voices and the sort of melodramatic thing." He wanted to do a kind of country rock sort of crossover, more like "Big River" than the opera.

He really wanted to do this thing about sibling rivalry. At first I saw the ghosts as almost comforting because we see them and the people in the story don't. But it turned out to be pretty scary. I don't have any real feeling like that because it's a musical, that it ought to be this, that or the other thing. It ought to be what it is. And John adapted his music to the story. It's great.

Q: Did he stay with the songs while you concentrated on the script or did you get in each other's wheelhouses?

A: Yeah, we did. John is not shy about telling anybody to change anything. I'm a little bit more shy. I did a 20- or 30-page treatment. And then we tinkered it out a bit. And then I did a script and I would put in, "Here's [where] a song [goes]. It should be about brotherly love or brotherly hate." John wrote the songs. And then my job was to go back after he'd done the demos and kind of build pockets for them, so there'd be transitions in and out. It was an interesting challenge.

Q: Do you feel like you'll be tinkering up to the premiere?

A: It's got to be pretty much done at this stage. Because John's got this other life where he's on tour all the time and I have to try to write a book this summer. I've got an idea for one but I'm going to have to tour [to promote] the book in the fall and I'll get down here for rehearsals. I'd love to be here for some of the casting, but it's really [Alliance artistic director and "Darkland" director] Susan Booth's baby at this point. And if Susan says I need this or I need that, I'll do what I can.

Q: The show was announced for the 2008-09 season. Why was it delayed?

A: Fired the director. He was really New York. John just didn't feel like it was working. John's a great guy. [The director] is a great guy. They just didn't see eye to eye and finally I got tired of being like the mediator.

Q: So you feel good about where you are now?

A: Yeah, real good. I love the Alliance. You know, it's been so long that we've been involved in this that it's easy [for "Darkland"] to get a little bit flat. But the readings are energizing.

Q: Did you have any say in the musicians for the soundtrack album (a two-CD set that's expected to be released this fall)?

A: John and I and [producer] T Bone [Burnett] got together in Nashville. And we talked about everybody from Kris Kristofferson, who's about 70, to Justin Bieber's kid brother. John knew some people I really admired, like Sheryl Crow, and I really pushed for Rosanne Cash. She's a beautiful singer. We both loved the idea of Elvis Costello.

Q: What's the ultimate goal for "Darkland?"

John always wanted to be on Broadway, see his name in lights on the Great White Way. And I'm not adverse to that. But my big thing about it is, like, one step at a time. Let's see if we can have success in Atlanta.

Ultimately what I wanted to do and what John wanted to do is kind of like the anti-"Spider-Man." We wanted to do a musical that had modest aspirations, modest casting, modest staging. Humble, but modest. And if that happens, I thought maybe we'll have some kind of a life, regional theater, community theater, that sort of thing. I'd love to see that happen.

In his own words: Stephen Kind recounts his first meeting with John Mellencamp about "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County."

"He told me a story. He assured me that this story was true. He lives in Indiana, in Bloomington. His wife decided they were going to buy a cabin on the lake and they looked at a couple of places. They went by a nearby store and the proprietor said, ‘You know, that house is haunted.'

"And John said, ‘No what happened.'

"And the proprietor said that in the '50s there were two brothers, one 18 and 16, who were at a dance with a girl who was in between them. She was 17. They had a few drinks after the dance and decided they were going to go to the boys' parents' cabin by the lake, which was the one John was interested in buying. They went there and had a few more drinks. And the older brother dared the younger brother. There was a rifle in the house and he put an apple on top of his head and dared his younger brother to shoot it off. Well, the kid probably wouldn't have done it if he was sober, but he wasn't sober. So he took the rifle and he shot and instead of getting the apple, he hit his brother in the head. So the brother who had done the shooting and the girl were hysterical with terror, with fear. And they grabbed the older brother and put him in the car and drove out of there. About a half mile down the road, they were doing 80. The younger brother lost control, hit a tree and they were all killed.

"And John thought, I don't know if there are ghosts but there's a story in that. He came to me and said [King laughs] ‘We could do a musical on that!'

"I said, ‘Now John, it sure as hell won't be ‘My Fair Lady.'"

mae
06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2368

Here is an interview with King from when The Alliance Theatre had their "Taste of the Season" that took place on May 24th. For more info, head over to The Alliance Theatre (http://alliancetheatre.org/en/Our-Plays/Next-Season/Ghost-Brothers-of-Darkland-County.aspx).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQEYr8xompk

stevohump
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Tickets go on sale July 11. Does anyone have any idea how much the tickets are gonna be.

Garrell
07-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Not sure but early this year, the we saying $119 per season pass. It is like three different shows besides the SK show. Debating on going, could visit my Auburn while down there.

Ari_Racing
07-11-2011, 04:13 AM
If any of the shows is played near a DT 4.5 signing event, I might be able to attend. ;)

TwistedNadine
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Tickets go on sale July 11. Does anyone have any idea how much the tickets are gonna be.

65. On the off chance that SK will attend opening night and that the book will be released there I decided I would go. And in fact the show sounds like it will great. Looking forward to it.

stevohump
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Just bought my tickets. Too excited. Cant wait. Hey Garrell.. I live in Valley, AL about 15 minutes away from Auburn

herbertwest
09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
EXCLUSIVE : GHOST BROTHERS... Trailer! Check this out :
http://t.co/us3px1W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6l-EXZlRbA

Ari_Racing
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I've just saw the tweet a couple of minutes ago :)
Nice!

Garrell
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Just bought my tickets. Too excited. Cant wait. Hey Garrell.. I live in Valley, AL about 15 minutes away from Auburn
When I played Magic: The Gathering, I used to go to the card shop there alot. The owner and I would go to the big tournaments together also.

mae
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/158510/emily-skinner-shuler-hensley-justin-guarini-and-more-to-haunt-stephen-king-and-john-mellencamps-ghost-brothers-of-darkland-county/

Billy Elliot star Emily Skinner, Tony winner Shuler Hensley, American Idol vet Justin Guarini and musician Jake La Botz will lead the the world premiere cast of Stephen King and John Mellencamp's musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre. Directed by Susan V. Booth and featuring musical direction by T Bone Burnett, the show will begin a 10-day developmental workshop on December 5. Performances for the full production in Atlanta begin April 4, 2012.

Featuring music and lyrics by Mellencamp and a book by King, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County centers on the story of a 1957 tragedy that haunts a small Mississippi town. The show is billed as "a Southern gothic tale fraught with mystery, tragedy and ghosts of the past."

The cast also features Lucas Kavner, Kate Ferber, Christopher Morgan and country musician Dale Watson, as well as Peter Albrink, Kylie Brown, Lori Beth Edgeman, Gwen Hughes, Joe Jung, Joe Knezevich, Rob Lawhon, Royce Mann and Travis Smith.

In a Facebook message posted on October 13, Skinner wrote, "Get your tx now: Stephen King and John Mellencamp have written what has to be the world's most heterosexual musical ever imagined. Great story, great music, great cast (including myself)!"

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will feature scenic design by Todd Rosenthal, choreography by Daniel Pelzig, costume design by Susan E. Mickey, lighting design by Robert Wierzel, media design by Adam Larsen and sound design by Clay Benning.

The show, which was first announced in 2001, was originally slated to be part of Atlanta’s Alliance Theater’s 2008-2009 season. Liv Ullmann had previously been attached as director. A recording of the musical featuring Kris Kristofferson, Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Neko Case, Sheryl Crow and Mellencamp was also announced for release in 2010, but never came to fruition.

Stockerlone
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Some news direkt from SK´s page about Ghost Brothers....

a guest star-packed studio concept album will follow on May 22, via Hear Music, in both a single disc and 3-CD deluxe edition.

Ghost Brothers Update
Posted: January 31st, 2012 8:00:00 am EST

John Mellencamp and Stephen King’s dramatic “roots musical,” in the works for more than a decade, will finally debut this spring. Ghost Brothers of Darkland County debuts as a theatrical presentation beginning April 4 in Atlanta; a guest star-packed studio concept album will follow on May 22, via Hear Music, in both a single disc and 3-CD deluxe edition.

Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Sheryl Crow, Taj Mahal and Neko Case are set to sing on the project, with Matthew McConaughey, Meg Ryan, former boxer Joe Frazier and Costello doing readings, as well. Both projects are produced with the input of producer T-Bone Burnett — who described the sound as “dark, foggy … and scary.”

The novelist King authored the narrative, while veteran singer-songwriter Mellencamp added music and lyrics. “It sounds like the Sgt. Pepper of Americana to me,” Mellencamp said in pre-release materials, adding that the goal was to make the recording sound something like “an old radio play” complete with dialogue and sound effects.

Other musicians who worked on the project include Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin and Will Dailey.

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

mae
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I wonder if that 3CD deluxe edition will contain the text written by King.

DanishCollector
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I hope so. Maybe it will be on the third cd (á la CD-ROM).

mae
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/darkland-county-performers-take-1358737.html

Come April, the musically-inclined cast of the Stephen King/John Mellencamp musical “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” will be seen nightly on the Alliance Theatre stage.

But starting next week – and nearly every Tuesday leading up to the April 4 debut of the show – members of the ensemble will take to a smaller stage to perform a different type of musical.

“Darkland County Tuesdays” will hold court at Eddie’s Attic (and, on March 17, the new Red Clay Theatre in Duluth) with a carousel of artists from the play, ranging from Justin Guarini to Jake La Botz to Dale Watson.

The acts will also sometimes bring along other musician friends not associated with “Ghost Brothers” (such as Danny “Mudcat” Dudeck joining Lori Beth Edgeman), and the music they play won’t be selections from the musical, but, rather, their own compositions or cover songs.

For the most part, though, the weekly gatherings are structured to be as loose as possible.

“It looks like it’s just going to be a big guitar pull,” said Watson, who plays a character in the show he calls “a Wolfman Jack of the South-type.”

For a regularly touring musician such as Watson, the ability to maintain any type of live playing during the run-up to “Ghost Brothers” is heartily welcomed.

Watson joked that even though he’s never played Eddie’s Attic, “Any place I play, I turn it into a honky-tonk. I tell my band, the number one rule is to have fun. I get the feeling that’s what everybody in this company would like, too. Just have fun. And for me, I’ve gotta be able to sing or I’ll go crazy.”

The Texas-based singer/guitarist also plans to line up a weekly Monday gig on his own at his usual Atlanta haunt, Smith’s Olde Bar.

But while “Darkland County Tuesdays” will serve as an outlet for the musicians in the cast to keep their playing muscles limber, it’s also a novel way of publicizing the King/Mellencamp production.

“It’s a great way to not only promote the show to the Eddie’s crowd, but to let [the crowd] be exposed to other musicians and see that these singers are also actors in the show,” said Caroline Tanner, brand manager at the Alliance.

The affable Watson is particularly looking forward to jamming with his castmates and having what he calls a “musical vacation.”

“This cast is full of really great musicians and singers,” he said. “You’ll get a taste of what the talent is, but it’s also as much for the cast to blow off some steam and have fun.”

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/01308/010112artshighligh_1308535c.jpg

mae
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/03/john-mellencamp-stephen-king-musical-to-debut-in-april/1

John Mellencamp often talks about his music in an aw-shucks, self-deprecating manner, but he's not hiding his pride when it comes to Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, the Southern gothic musical he and author Stephen King have been tinkering with for 12 years.

"I think it's going to be one of the best original American musicals in quite some time," says the singer/songwriter, likening the work in tone to Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night. "I am more thrilled about this than anything I've done in my whole life. I'm pretty pumped up!"

Ghost Brothers, on stage from April 4 to May 13 at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, presents a mysterious family drama that springs from a 1967 tragedy in Mississippi, with the bluesy roots music and lyrics by Mellencamp, book by King and music direction by T Bone Burnett. Susan V. Booth is the director.

"The first time Steve and I worked on it in New York, it was terrible and we wanted to kill ourselves," Mellencamp says. "Then we got involved with Susan Booth, who found the real meaning of the words. She is unbelievable and I love her to death. Everyone is down there working seven days a week. I'm just excited that it's so good."

No release date is firm yet for a three-disc soundtrack album.

Garrell
03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend asked about the show again today, still debating it. She is a huge JCM fan. I could time it with the Alabama A game (spring football practice).

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-20-2012, 12:30 AM
From SKMB:

The March issue of Atlanta Magazine includes an interview with Stephen and John Mellencamp regarding the upcoming Ghost Brothers of Darkland County musical. The article is available in both print and online formats with the an extended version available online.
Read it on AtlantaMagazine.com

Bev Vincent
03-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Here's the link to the interview: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/entertainment/story.aspx?ID=1666927

EXPLORER
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
My girlfriend asked about the show again today, still debating it. She is a huge JCM fan. I could time it with the Alabama A game (spring football practice).

My wife reminded me last week she had scheduled vacation for the April 4-6th and asked if I knew why... I quickly realized why. We grabbed tickets and will be headed there.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Obviously this isn't a official SK appearance, but do you believe King will attend the premiere?

EXPLORER
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Hard to say if he will be at 1st show or two... However wife can not be away during on official opening night and Every single ticket purchase using the promo code KING10 during ticket purchase, prior to April 1st (11:59 pm, March 31, 2012), receives an entry into a sweepstakes to win a VIP experience consisting of:
• Two opening night (April 11) orchestra tickets
• Two tickets to the VIP opening night party at the Four Seasons in Atlanta following the April 11 performance (transportation and lodging not included)
• Photo op with Stephen King
• A Stephen King autographed copy of 11/22/63

If we were to win.... I would find a way to be there for that.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Is opening night 4/4?

EXPLORER
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Yes...and no.... It is the first performances where tickets available.. However it seems the (official?) VIP Opening night is the 11th

Bev Vincent
03-29-2012, 01:55 AM
That's right. I'll be at the official "red carpet" opening night, which is a week after the play starts its run.

RichardX
03-29-2012, 06:15 AM
This strikes me as a project that will either turn out really well or be a complete disaster. Probably not much middle ground.

mystima
03-29-2012, 08:05 PM
well i know one of the performers is a former American Idol...Justin Guarini

Bev Vincent
03-30-2012, 07:14 AM
NY Times: Haunted by Ghost Tale? Call an Expert (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/theater/stephen-king-and-john-mellencamps-ghost-brothers-musical.html)

EXPLORER
04-03-2012, 07:33 AM

My wife reminded me last week she had scheduled vacation for the April 4-6th and asked if I knew why... I quickly realized why. We grabbed tickets and will be headed there.

Is anyone else going to be in Atlanta for the early performances? We will be up there at least the 4th - 7th. 3rd rows seats on th 5th.... and whateverr else we decide once we get up there.

DisneyGuys
04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
I wandered through the lobby of the theater last night and listened (through an open door) to some of the rehearsal. It sounds very interesting to say the least. I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight. I was told that King and Mellencamp have been in and out all day.
I spoke to one of the marketing people and the only merchandise that will be for sale tonight is a $20 t-shirt. I failed to ask about after tonight if there would be more merch produced during this one month production before it heads to Broadway. There are brochures and flyers available about the show. There should, of course, be a Playbill (or similar) for patrons tonight.
If anyone is interested, I'll post a review late tonight or tomorrow morning.
Very excited to be going to the opening, first public performance.
I'll be in Row C #105 in case Mr. King reads this and wants to stop by and ask what I thought after the show. [A guy can dream.]
Daniel

DisneyGuys
04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I'll be in Row C #105 in case Mr. King reads this and wants to stop by and ask what I thought after the show. [A guy can dream.]
Daniel
Heck... I'm available during intermission for Mr. King, too. <grin>

you ever seen a ghost?
04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
any word on whether the script will be published? i know that was planned at one point, but it looks like it may have fallen by the wayside...

-justin

DisneyGuys
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Just left the theater. The show is phenomenal and the story is soooo Stephen King. I can't say much without spoiling the show for the next audience... so I won't.
I will say the theme is classic King with an over-arching story of evil vs. good. The story simmers on a medium heat until the lid blows off and everything is drenched in a stew when it would be least convenient. A great story.
The music has a lot of "dark notes" and really colors the story. This is not your Grandmother's musical with an uplifting message and a heavy end beat so everyone knows to applaud. The moments in song were so wrenching that it was a little uncomfortable to clap (but the actors really deserved it). Yes, there are touches of King humor to lighten (and bring a laugh) at certain moments (which is a relief).
The cast is such an interesting mix just like the characters that populate a King novel. Very engaging staging and a set that wraps into the audience. A really incredible set that moves almost effortlessly from the past to the present (although on the first night one cast member was almost run over by a set piece... wouldn't THAT have made an interesting King-esque twist with someone dying in the 2nd Act?). The set really is another character in the show.
Again, I really can't say anything about the storyline without spoilers. It grabs you and really takes the audience for a wild ride with dark and light spirits.
The language and theme is defiantly by King and a warning is posted on the entrance doors to the theater. My absolutely favorite quote in the show has adult words... we're all adults here? A great moment is when one of the lead characters says, "I like songs about fucking... and murder... preferably at the same time!"
If you are a King fan, you must see this show. What would have been a great novel is brought to life on stage. The King and Mellencamp collaboration is very successful, but the actors have really put the life (or is it "the death") into the show.
I'll put together some more thoughts and share a photo or two later.
Daniel

EXPLORER
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Just left the theater. The show is phenomenal and the story is soooo Stephen King. I can't say much without spoiling the show for the next audience... so I won't.
I will say the theme is classic King with an over-arching story of evil vs. good. The story simmers on a medium heat until the lid blows off and everything is drenched in a stew when it would be least convenient. A great story.
The music has a lot of "dark notes" and really colors the story. This is not your Grandmother's musical with an uplifting message and a heavy end beat so everyone knows to applaud. The moments in song were so wrenching that it was a little uncomfortable to clap (but the actors really deserved it). Yes, there are touches of King humor to lighten (and bring a laugh) at certain moments (which is a relief).
The cast is such an interesting mix just like the characters that populate a King novel. Very engaging staging and a set that wraps into the audience. A really incredible set that moves almost effortlessly from the past to the present (although on the first night one cast member was almost run over by a set piece... wouldn't THAT have made an interesting King-esque twist with someone dying in the 2nd Act?). The set really is another character in the show.
Again, I really can't say anything about the storyline without spoilers. It grabs you and really takes the audience for a wild ride with dark and light spirits.
The language and theme is defiantly by King and a warning is posted on the entrance doors to the theater. My absolutely favorite quote in the show has adult words... we're all adults here? A great moment is when one of the lead characters says, "I like songs about fucking... and murder... preferably at the same time!"
If you are a King fan, you must see this show. What would have been a great novel is brought to life on stage. The King and Mellencamp collaboration is very successful, but the actors have really put the life (or is it "the death") into the show.
I'll put together some more thoughts and share a photo or two later.
Daniel

And Mr King was present slipping into a seat towards the back just before the show.. exiting just prior to intermission to avoid being mobbed, returning quietly and escaping quickly at the end of the show... ushered out the side while hugging colaborators and politely declining to sign anything tonight.

mae
04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
According to Ms. Mod at SK.com back a few months ago, this should see a 3-disc CD release (and I remember there was talk of King's text being included) on May 22, 2012:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/24413-Ghost-Brothers-Update

But I checked Hear Music (http://www2.concordmusicgroup.com/labels/hear-music/) and there's nothing about it there at this time.

mae
04-04-2012, 09:04 PM
http://buckhead.patch.com/articles/ghost-brothers-of-darkland-county-premiers-wednesday

More than a decade since the project was first announced, “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” makes its long-awaited premiere Wednesday evening at the Alliance Theatre.

The anticipated new musical was written by novelist Stephen King, features music and lyrics by John Mellencamp, and has musical direction provided by legendary producer T Bone Burnett. The closing show of the Alliance Stage Series season is directed by Alliance Artistic Director Susan V. Booth.

It features Tony Award winner and Atlanta native Shuler Hensley and Tony Award nominee Emily Skinner, and also includes Justin Guarini of “American Idol” fame. Hensley is an alum of Westminster.

Described as “a riveting Southern gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy, and phantoms of the past, along with a roots and blues-tinged score,” here’s the official production synopsis:

In the tiny town of Lake Belle Reve, Mississippi in 1967, a terrible tragedy took the lives of two brothers and a beautiful young girl. During the next forty years, the events of that night became the stuff of local legend. But legend is often just another word for lie. Joe McCandless knows what really happened; he saw it all. The question is whether or not he can bring himself to tell the truth in time to save his own troubled sons, and whether the ghosts left behind by an act of violence will help him – or tear the McCandless family apart forever.

In a press conference late last year, King explained why the musical is debuting in Atlanta: “We wanted a place that was cosmopolitan but not out of touch with country roots. Atlanta seemed like the middle of the bulls-eye. You know that song, ‘If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere?’ That’s how I feel about Atlanta and this show.”

Mellencamp’s three-CD studio album of the production and its music will be released next month. Tonight's preview is considered a "soft opening" with the official Opening Night set for April 11. The production runs through May 13.

DisneyGuys
04-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Two photos that this group might find interesting:
One is the warning on the entrance doors to the theater, and the other is of the t-shirt available ($20 includes tax) in sizes S to XL only. Looking at much of the audience gathered, the theater really should have produced XXL shirts and they would have sold more.
http://www.disneyguys.com/images/king01.jpg

http://www.disneyguys.com/images/king02.jpg

Daniel

Bev Vincent
04-05-2012, 06:05 AM
I like the "rating" sign!

Ari_Racing
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the posts, Daniel! :)

Are the t-shirts available for purchase online?

Thanks!

AND I LOVE THE RATING SIGN! :)

DisneyGuys
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
A couple more photos from the opening night...
Here is the marquee outside the theater, and a copy of the program (not a Playbill).
http://disneyguys.com/images/king08b.jpg

http://disneyguys.com/images/king09.jpg

Here is Mr. King with the cast after the first night's performance.
http://disneyguys.com/images/king05.jpg

And here is John Melencamp graciously signing autographs after the first show.
http://disneyguys.com/images/king06.jpg

Sorry that the photos seem a little fuzzy... crappy camera syndrome.
Daniel

EXPLORER
04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Marvelous show..... This can be a hit. Kept a great momentum with style very typical of King and the story unfolds moving forward while jumping back to develope charactor and plot.

EXPLORER
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
need a shirt Ari?

Ari_Racing
04-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Nice to see more pics! :) The truth is that I considered taking a flight in July from Comic Con and attend to one of the shows, but I won't be able to do it.

Explorer, they look nice! I'd like to buy one. :)

DisneyGuys
04-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Here's a video about the show that I don't think has been shared here, yet. This shows a times-lapse during the construction of the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDT9isPf-pQ&list=UUuqsqJIgeNTwxG7fleBxhEw&index=1&feature=plcp

Brice
04-06-2012, 06:48 AM
I want that restricted sign.

DisneyGuys
04-06-2012, 07:13 AM
I want that restricted sign.

Ha... it was very tempting... they were just Scotch-taped onto the glass.
The graphic would make a great addition to the t-shirt.

Here are some other articles that have come out about the show.
The first is the Atlanta Journal Constitution blog:
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scene/2012/04/05/ghost-brothers-of-darkland-county-scores-with-honest-rustic-tunes/

And this (with a nice photo of some of the cast) is from an entertainment blog called Vulture*:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/stephen-king-john-mellencamp-ghost-brothers-of-darkland-county.html
*A little 'warning'... the 2nd link contains what I would consider spoilers. So, if you want to enjoy this show with a fresh and unspoiled vision, then you should skip this article.

Daniel

needfulthings
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/5015/img154n.jpg

Ben Staad
04-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info and the photos! I so wish I could have made it up there for this showing. Life is always in the way...

EXPLORER
04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Went over to grab a few extra shirts and wound up picking up "RUSH tickets". The production was even better the second time around!

biomieg
04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
http://disneyguys.com/images/king09.jpg

Maybe I missed something, but what 'book' by King are they referring to on the cover of the program? Do they mean that he wrote the story, or is there a chance that there will be a publication in book format as well? Just curious!

DanishCollector
04-07-2012, 04:27 AM
He wrote the play which in the world of theater is called a book, and the book/script should hopefully be included in the 3 CD-package planned for release.

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Mellencamp & King put together a heck of a show. A Musical with Mellencamp feel for music and story so King in charactor developement. If you are a fan of either or good theatre, this is worth the trip to Atlanta.. We wound up going two nights in a row and it only got better the second time around. Had to come pull up some old Mellencamp today to remind myself of his style and music which I see fits within the storytelling portayed in Ghost Brothers

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
We had a couple of very interesting experiences while at or around the show. The first night of the show we did not have tickets however went over before the show to observe what was going on and see if we recognized anyone. We also went back prior to the show ending. While anticipating the close of the show I walked over to a lady who looked like she might work there as she was hanging out by a podium by the doors. I approached her and asked if she knew how long the show ran. She responded immediately, "TOO LONG, I walked out along time ago. I could not stand the foul lanquage. I came for some good country music however they do alot of talking in this play... and every other word is cussing or sex." I stood there and let her spout off noting this was a play. "She went on and on stating, "They did have some good music in the begining while I was there however the writer just put too much nasty words into the story". She then had a troubled look on her face and turned to me and said, " Oh... and if you are Mr King, I never read any of your books". I did not say anything. I just walked away grinning.

herbertwest
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
http://club-stephenking.fr/img/NEWS/avril/2012/StephenKing-warning.jpg

Cool he? :-)

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
When we pulled into the Hotel we were staying at, we got into conversation with the valet about being in town to see Ghost Brothers and he informed us that a bunch of the Musicians were also staying there. We found ourselves keeping an eye out for them watching who was who during cocktail reception etc. After the 1st performance we noticed a group all sitting outside on the patio drinking wine and laughing and sharing stories. It became obvious this was a group from the show. We did not realize until the next night when we saw the show these were not just the musicians but also a number of the perfomers. We saw them again at breakfast and eventually would up in conversation with them. Todd Rosenthal (set designer) had some interesting things to say about King, Mellencamp and the show. He mentioned how King had been very generous with his time. "He really wanted to work and rework things to be just right." "King just acted like a cool commonn guy and did not like the noteriety"..."Mellencamp loved the noteriety". He also noted of all the shows he has worked on, he had never seen one come together so well in such a short period of time. (I assume he was talking about the staging and not the creation).

Bev Vincent
04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I'll be there tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
We also met a young lady who won tickets to the VIP performance.... She was in Atlanta visiting relatives and had bought tickets for Thursday showing... had to go back to (Cleveland ?) before returning for the opening night performance and VIP reception.

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I'll be there tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.
I am sure you will enjoy...

EXPLORER
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Casting did a great job choosing Jake La Botz to perform the charactor called "The Shape" ... had to check him out online today... he's got a great part throughout the show performed perfectly. This is NOT from the show however a sound fitting the charactor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAw1F5--2Fg&feature=related

Ari_Racing
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Very nice experiences! I really would love to have the chance of attending one perfomance someday.

Bev Vincent
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Just passed T Bone Burnett on the street.

mae
04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
http://atlanta.broadwayworld.com/article/Stephen-King-John-Mellencamp-et-al-Talk-New-GHOST-BROTHERS-Musical-20120411

Atlanta's ALLIANCE THEATRE launches its world premiere of Stephen King and John Mellencamp's new blues and rock ghost musical tonight, April 11. The show plays now through May 13. King, Mellencamp, director Susan V. Booth and producer T Bone Burnett recently spoke at a press conference about the process of creating the musical.

King said that Mellencamp suggested an idea he'd heard in Indiana about two brothers who died and wanted to create a musical in which, "the ghosts would be there but the people wouldn't know, and the audience would." King said he wrote up a "treatment" in three weeks.

"I wanted to try something that was a little bit risky and something that was outside my comfort zone," King said. "For this show, we wanted a place that was cosmopolitan but not out of touch with country roots, and Atlanta looked to me like the middle of the bullseye."

The show has been in the works for 12 years, three or four of those in talks with Alliance. Described as a "Southern, gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy, and phantoms of the past, along with a roots and blues-tinged score," on the company's website, the show will be directed by Alliance Artistic Director Susan V. Booth, with musical direction provided by producer T Bone Burnett.

"We're really fortunate that we have an audience that's gone on a journey with us about new American musicals—that's really smart and receptive to that," Booth said. "Atlanta has an opportunity to introduce a major, new American musical into the cannon."

In the tiny town of Delight, Mississippi in 1967, a terrible tragedy took the lives of two brothers and a beautiful young girl. During the next forty years, the events of that night became the stuff of local legend. But legend is often just another word for lie. Joe McCandless knows what really happened; he saw it all. The question is whether or not he can bring himself to tell the truth in time to save his own troubled sons, and whether the ghosts left behind by an act of violence will help him – or tear the McCandless family apart forever.

Read more about the show and watch a clip from the press conference on Alliance's website here.

The band, including many members from Mellencamp's own group, includes Dane Clark (Percussion & Acoustic Guitar), Troye Kinnett (Keyboardist), Dave Roe (Upright Bass), Andy York (Band Leader, Guitarist, Vocal Arranger, Associate Musical Director).

Ghost Brothers' creative team includes Todd Rosenthal (Scenic Designer), Clay Benning (Sound Designer), Susan E Mickey (Costume Designer), Robert Wierzel (Lighting Designer), Adam Larsen (Projection Designer), Scot J. Mann and Kelly Martin (Fight Choreography) and Steve Tolin (Special Effects Designer).

The cast includes Jeremy Aggers (Ensemble/US Frank McCandless), Peter Albrink (Jack McCandless), Kylie Brown (Anna Wicklow), Russell Cook (US Male Ensemble), Lori Beth Edgeman (Ensemble/US Anna Wicklow & Jenna), Kate Ferber (Jenna), Justin Guarini (Drake McCandless), Shuler Hensley (Joe McCandless), Gwen Hughes (Ensemble/US Monique McCandless), Joe Jung (Newt/Ensemble/US The Shape), Lucas Kavner (Frank McCandless), Joe Knezevich (Ensemble, US Drake McCandless & Newt), Jake La Botz (The Shape), Stephanie Laubscher (US Female Ensemble), Rob Lawhon (Ensemble/US Andy McCandless & Zydeco Cowboy), Royce Mann (Young Joe), Christopher L. Morgan (Dan Coker), Joseph Signa (US Young Joe), Emily Skinner (Monique McCandless), Travis Smith (Andy McCandless), Dale Watson (Zydeco Cowboy/Ensemble/US Joe McCandless), DeWaye Woods (US Male Ensemble) and Ryan Wotherspoon (Ensemble/US Jack McCandless).

EXPLORER
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Here's Just a sampling of the King & Mellencamp joined creative forces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLkOJKv4n0E

Bev Vincent
04-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Everyone involved did a terrific job. The *stage was excellent, the lighting effects were brilliant, the music and vocal performances great (I especially liked it when the ensemble sang) and the story was terrific. The guy who was The Shape was awesome.

DisneyGuys
04-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Here are a couple more reviews that have been posted. One is good and one is not so good — one I would agree with and one I would not (respectively).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2012/04/stephen-king-john-mellencamp.html
and
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/not_scary_enough_for_way_xBhroeeVlltBwYqs5TpiaP

(sigh) I can still remember how the NYC critics blasted Disney when they first came to Broadway stating how Disney would never make it with pedigreed audiences.
Daniel

Randall Flagg
04-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Is there any interest in seeing the program for the show?
I have scans of the relevant pages.

Brice
04-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, please.

Randall Flagg
04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Here are a couple more reviews that have been posted. One is good and one is not so good — one I would agree with and one I would not (respectively).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2012/04/stephen-king-john-mellencamp.html
and
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/not_scary_enough_for_way_xBhroeeVlltBwYqs5TpiaP

(sigh) I can still remember how the NYC critics blasted Disney when they first came to Broadway stating how Disney would never make it with pedigreed audiences.
Daniel
The New York Post piece of shit never saw the play, he's just trying to get attention with an article that "steals' from every person who has something negative to say. Perhaps the sad sack should get off his ass, go see the play, then write an original, informative critique. He (or their webmaster) might also consider putting spaces between words.
The cast isamix of local actors

Brice
04-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Reviewing something you haven't experienced is absurd and just shows you to be an ass.

EXPLORER
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM

and

Daniel
The New York Post piece of shit never saw the play, he's just trying to get attention with an article that "steals' from every person who has something negative to say. Perhaps the sad sack should get off his ass, go see the play, then write an original, informative critique. He (or their webmaster) might also consider putting spaces between words.
The cast isamix of local actors

The Post does not have a budget to send someone that far..... and do not feel they need to as they can create some sensational bunch of Riedel (excuse the explitive) hanging out in NYC

Bev Vincent
04-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Study guide: http://alliancetheatre.org/Our-Plays/Now-Playing/~/media/Ghost%20Brothers%20of%20Darkland%20County%20Study% 20Guide%20FINAL.ashx

Bev Vincent
04-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Part 1 of my FearNet write-up (http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b26068_ghost_brothers_of_darkland_county_i.html): the long road to Atlanta

Randall Flagg
04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Is there any interest in seeing the program for the show?
I have scans of the relevant pages.

Yes, please.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029327-Slide1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029335-Slide2.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029344-Slide3.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029352-Slide4.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029360-Slide5.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029367-Slide6.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029377-Slide7.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029384-Slide8.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029392-Slide9.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029401-Slide10.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029584-Slide11.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1335029411-Slide12.JPG

EXPLORER
04-21-2012, 04:25 PM
should have sent the signed one to you if knew you would be posting.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Yes you should have:)

EXPLORER
04-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Yes you should have:)
was actually only signed by Royce Mann......Young Joe.. Caught him in the lobby and was telling him how well he did and figured would make him feel like a big star so asked for his autograph.

mae
04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Really hope that 3-disc set with King's book is coming.

DanishCollector
04-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Me too.

EXPLORER
04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Really hope that 3-disc set with King's book is coming.
I will be interested in seeing if they release this as a set before decisions are made as to where the show may go next.
I would like to see it too as I believe it stands on it's own as a fabuluos creative performance.

Brice
04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I just want one of those restricted signs on my bookcase.

Bev Vincent
04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
My review at FEARnet (http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b26105_news_from_dead_zone_lsquoghost_brothers.htm l)

mae
05-03-2012, 10:30 AM
http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/theater/reviews/stephen-king-and-john-mellencamps-musical-ghost-brothers.html

At the bloody heart of “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County,” the Southern gothic musical by Stephen King and John Mellencamp, is a tense sibling rivalry between a novelist with a dark streak and a blue-jeans-wearing crooner. Frank (Lucas Kavner) and Drake McCandless (Justin Guarini) are surely meant to evoke younger versions of the famous team that created them.

The brothers are at odds over, among other things, the attention of their parents and the affections of a woman, but creating a musical can inspire just as much tension. Just ask Bono, another pop star moonlighting as a theater composer.

While nowhere near as messy, “Ghost Brothers” has an ungainliness that brings to mind the original “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.” Also developed over many years by famous musical-theater novices, this sprawling show, running at the Alliance Theater in Atlanta, stitches together dynamic elements that never satisfyingly cohere. It has the feel of something devised over Skype.

Fans of Mr. King and Mr. Mellencamp will, however, find much of interest, since you can hear their unmistakable voices, particularly the witty, literate cackle of Mr. King, one of popular culture’s greatest storytellers. His melodramatic yarn opens with a creepy, tattooed singer named the Shape (which, incidentally, is what Michael Myers is called in the credits of “Halloween”) ascending out of a trap door.

A redneck version of the M.C. from “Cabaret,” played with oily glee by Jake La Botz, he presents himself as our conscience’s evil alter ego. About church he says:

“I get bad reviews there. Always have. True artists usually do.”

The musical comes alive in Mr. La Botz’s every bravura entrance. But his stage time is too brief. The plot instead hangs on a perpetually postponed story told by the brothers’ anguished father, Joe (Tony winner Shuler Hensley), who keeps getting sidetracked by a flashback or a visit from a ghost.

Joe’s older brothers died mysteriously in their family cabin, and the similarities between Frank and Drake and that generation don’t bode well for them. Dead ancestors wander in and out of Todd Rosenthal’s shadowy, nicely dilapidated set.

One benefit of this fleet of apparitions is that they provide an impressive chorus of voices to support Mr. Mellencamp’s score of blues, gospel and roots. The music director, T Bone Burnett, the Grammy-winning producer of the “O Brother, Where Art thou” soundtrack, handles a diverse range of styles without ever sounding a slick note.

Hard-driving songs like “Brotherly Love,” sung between punches by Drake and Frank, and the Shape’s impish numbers are catchy, backed by gravelly voices and modest choreography. The ensemble number “Tear This Cabin Down” closes the first act with a lift, but its warning of terrible things from the past returning has already been established, so there’s no satisfying twist to create buzz during intermission.

The songs don’t move the story along so much as illuminate character. Too often they slow down Mr. King’s tale, when not actively distracting you from it with lyrics that tell more than show.

Why would the sexpot Anna (Kylie Brown), the girl the living brothers are fighting over, tell Frank she’s a liar who is “one thousand percent illusion”? And in an overcrowded show, does their mother (Emily Skinner) really need her own song?

It’s not just the tension-killing tangents that prevent one from getting lost in this story. The director Susan V. Booth’s often-fussy staging mixes in a variety of video images and elaborate lighting sequences, not to mention words projected on the set that comment knowingly on the action. The production is as rambling as the script.

An anything-goes strategy could work for a looser, comic entertainment, but not a ghost story that aims to spook. Or, with its parade of Southern gothic references (Faulkner Williams, O’Connor) and melodramatic metaphors, is the show supposed to be a winking, mischievous musical? It’s not clear.

Gothic fiction is often overstuffed, but as Mr. King pointed out in his book “Dance Macabre,” what the genre still requires are convincing characters and an evocative mood.

The intricate story of “Ghost Brothers” might work wonderfully on the page, and the show does resist cliché. Far from cheaply horrifying ghouls, Mr. King’s ghosts appear as haunted by the living as the reverse.

But the mood too often wavers. The ghosts fade into the background, sometimes on purpose, other times not.

One can understand the temptation to let Mr. King’s imagination roam, but for a delicate, collaborative form like the musical, a simpler, streamlined narrative might have made more sense. “Ghost Brothers” brings to mind a suitably violent writer’s truism: Sometimes you have to kill your babies.

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Book by Stephen King; music and lyrics by John Mellencamp; musical direction by T Bone Burnett; directed by Susan V. Booth; choreography by Daniel Pelzig; sets by Todd Rosenthal; costumes by Susan E. Mickey; lighting by Robert Wierzel; sound by Clay Benning; projections by Adam Larsen; music supervision and arrangements by Andy York; fight choreography by Scot Mann and Kelly Martin; dramaturgy by Celise Kalke; production stage manager, Pat A. Flora. Presented by the Alliance Theater at the Woodruff, Ms. Booth, artistic director. At the Alliance Theater at the Woodruff Arts Center, 1280 Peachtree Street, Atlanta; (404) 733-5000; alliancetheatre.org. Through May 13. Running time: 2 hours 30 minutes.

WITH: Peter Albrink (Jack McCandless), Kylie Brown (Anna Wicklow), Kate Ferber (Jenna), Justin Guarini (Drake McCandless), Shuler Hensley (Joe McCandless), Joe Jung (Newt), Lucas Kavner (Frank McCandless), Jake La Botz (the Shape), Royce Mann (Young Joe), Christopher L. Morgan (Dan Coker), Emily Skinner (Monique McCandless) and Travis Smith (Andy McCandless).

mae
05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Sounds like the story is very interesting. Wonder if the book, when and if published with the CD, will be more like a novel and less like a script. I never read a theater book. Is it like a play? Maybe King will novelize it...

DanishCollector
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm sure it's like reading a screenplay, with descriptions and dialogue and the like. King is good with that, I always enjoy reading his scripts as much as his ordinary prose fiction.

DisneyGuys
07-12-2012, 09:06 AM
There is a new mention of the musical with a possible New York City run in September.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/167982-Stephen-King-Musical-Ghost-Brothers-of-Darkland-County-May-Get-NYC-Presentation

mae
11-14-2012, 08:15 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-mellencamps-musical-with-stephen-king-nearing-completion-20121114

It's taken 13 years, thousands of hours and countless rewrites, but Stephen King and John Mellencamp's musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County is beginning to take its final shape. A version of the show ran in Atlanta earlier this year, and a CD/DVD deluxe edition, featuring the soundtrack, handwritten lyrics and a mini-documentary about the making of the musical, is hitting shelves on March 19th. The soundtrack features guest singers Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Taj Mahal, Kris Kristofferson and Mellencamp himself.

Mellencamp got the initial idea for the musical in the late 1990s from his own cabin in Bloomington, which he claims is haunted. In the 1930s two brothers got into a fight over a woman at the cabin, and one of them wound up dead. The surviving brother and the woman sped away in a car, but crashed into a lake and drowned. "I called up Stephen King and told him I wanted to make a musical out of the thing," says Mellencamp. "It's outside both of our wheelhouses."

Stephen King only vaguely knew Mellencamp when he got the call. "He came to my place in Florida and it was the first time we ever met in person," says King. "He tuned my guitar and told me about this ghost story about a cabin he owned. I loved the idea they were brothers, and then years later history repeats itself. Something in that resonated with me deeply."

King agreed to write a treatment of the story – which seesaws between the two sets of brothers going through a similar struggle 30 year apart at the same cabin – and Mellecanmp began writing songs. They agreed early on that the songs wouldn't move the story forward. "It was Steve's job to tell the story," says Mellencamp. "It was my job to develop the characters through songs. That's different than most musicals. The best example of that is My Fair Lady. They had a story with Pygmalion, so they just stuck songs in there."

The process was extremely slow since both men were busy with their day jobs. They slowly picked away at it during their downtime, often e-mailing each other to compare notes. "On a creative level we were always in harmony," says King. "We have the same kinds of interests, same background, small town, regular people kind of thing. Also, the more I worked with him the more amazed I was by his level of talent."

Neither man is used to collaboration, let alone working on a single project for more than a decade. "It's very hard for us to work with so many people," says Mellencamp. "We're not really collaborators. I make my records, and he writes his books." Ultimately, they both found it rewarding to stretch their boundaries. "You can just keep doing the same shit and you'll make a living at it," says King. "But the question is, do you want to dig a rut and furnish it? Or do you want to try something new, particularly when you know if you screw it up, you're gonna fall on your face?"

As the musical got closer to completion they brought in producer T Bone Burnett to help flesh out the music. "The idea was for me to come in and create the vibe," Burnett says. "We took the songs and cast them with different singers and musicians , and began creating what I hoped would be a foggy, ghost sound – something that grew up out of the Mississippi."

There was a recent table reading in New York for possible investors, but as of now there's no definitive plan for it to come to Broadway. "There's business people that want it to be on Broadway," says Mellencamp. "I can't speak for Stephen, but for me it doesn't matter. It's the process I enjoy, not the outcome."

King has a different take on the matter. "We were talking about Broadway right away," he says. "John believes in reaching for the stars in everything he does. . . . But a lot of Broadway these days is fucking Disneyland. It's blue-haired ladies from Westchester County. They come in buses and they want to see Aida or the Lion King. It's almost like an amusement park."

They also think it might work as a movie at some point in the future. "I'd love to see that," says King. "One of the other reasons that I did that is that I'm a total whore for musicals. I love Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge, Bugsy Malone. You name it and I just love it! It appeals to a sentimental side of me."

Whatever happens, King and Mellencamp are confident they're nearly done fiddling with it. "At this point I don't know what else we could so," says King. "Unless we set it in fucking outer space. Hey, that's not a bad idea! It could work!"

Here is the track listing for the Ghost Brothers of Darkland Couny soundtrack, coming to stores on March 19th, 2013:

"That's Me," Elvis Costello
"That's Who I Am," Neko Case
"So Goddamn Smart," Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Sheryl Crow
"Wrong, Wrong, Wrong About Me," Elvis Costello
"Brotherly Love," Ryan Bingham, Will Dailey
"How Many Days," Kris Kristofferson
"You Are Blind," Ryan Bingham
"Home Again," Sheryl Crow, Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Taj Mahal
"What's Going On Here," Rosanne Cash
"My Name Is Joe," Clyde Mulroney
"Tear This Cabin Down," Taj Mahal
"And Your Days Are Gone," Sheryl Crow, Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin
"Jukin'," Sheryl Crow
"What Kind of Man Am I," Kris Kristofferson, Phil Alvin, Sheryl Crow Dave Alvin, Taj Mahal
"So Goddamn Good," Phil Alvin, Dave Alvin, Sheryl Crow
"Away From This World," Sheryl Crow
"Truth," John Mellencamp

No King text?

Bev Vincent
11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000033894464-3e5dd8-t300x300.jpg

You can also hear Elvis Costello's rendition of "That's Me" at the Rolling Stone site (bottom of the page) (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-mellencamps-musical-with-stephen-king-nearing-completion-20121114)

Bev Vincent
11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will be available across a variety of formats. The (enhanced CD) Standard Edition features the complete soundtrack, dialog excerpts and digital libretto. The (2CD/1DVD) Deluxe Edition contains the complete soundtrack (with and without dialog), deluxe art work, handwritten lyrics, specially printed libretto and the “Making of Ghost Brothers” mini-documentary DVD featuring in-depth interviews with King, Mellencamp and Burnett along with other bonus material. Ghost Brothers of Darkland County digital editions for tablets, smartphones and e-readers will allow users to interact in unprecedented ways with the complete soundtrack + digital libretto, as well as exclusive video and graphic materials.

Ari_Racing
11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Too bad there won't be an edition with the play filmed.

you ever seen a ghost?
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
so, i'm guessing King's script will not be included in that deluxe edition?

-justin

Bev Vincent
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
The way I read it, the libretto (King's script) will be digital in the enhanced CD edition and printed in the deluxe edition.

mae
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Deluxe edition it is! The RS article didn't specify that detail, which is huge, one would think.

Bev Vincent
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
ghostbrothersofdarklandcounty.com

you ever seen a ghost?
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
actually, it says the deluxe has a printed libretto and the other editions have a digital libretto and then it says libretto by Stephen King, so perhaps we will see a proper release.

-justin

mae
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
If you mean a separate book, I don't think so.

you ever seen a ghost?
11-15-2012, 07:58 AM
it says the printed version will appear in the deluxe edition and digitally on the regular release. i'm assuming it will be some sort of bound book.

-justin

mae
12-29-2012, 01:21 PM
The set is still not available for preorder anywhere, looks like.

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/releases/releases_all/upcoming/

mae
01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
https://catalog.simonandschuster.com/TitleDetails/TitleDetails.aspx?cid=1305&isbn=9781579402358&FilterByName=Pub+Month&FilterBy=24&FilterVal=March+2013&ob=0&pn=1&ed=&showcart=N&camefrom=&find=&a=

Is this the deluxe edition with King's printed book? Seems rather long, 110 pages.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Size is 11x11. Perhaps a lot of photos/images?

Bev Vincent
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
If it's in script format, a page of script per minute is the average, so the size isn't a surprise. The listed publisher is the same company producing the CD/DVD sets.

EXPLORER
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Really looking forward to this. The Play was great. Elvis Costello should do a great job with "That's Me"

mae
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Not yet up on Amazon though. Or anywhere else.

Bev Vincent
01-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Ms Mod is looking into it.

herbertwest
01-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Any update? :)

mae
01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
The deluxe book/CD/DVD thing is up for preorder: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1579402356/

TwistedNadine
01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks Pablo!

herbertwest
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
So it's still march apparently

Jimimck
01-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Its available from CD also.
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king93

Cheaper at Amazon, but people may prefer to get it from CD.

you ever seen a ghost?
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
i've just been informed by Concord Music Group that the date is being pushed back to April 2.

-justin

cit74
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Its available from CD also.
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king93

Cheaper at Amazon, but people may prefer to get it from CD.

If i don't like one of my CD book club books - i might just substitute this (if still available on their site)

mae
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
http://z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/1579402356.01.IN01._SCRM_SCLZZZZZZZ_V395252960_.jp g

cit74
01-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the pictures - from Kings website:

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will be available across a variety of formats. The (enhanced CD) Standard Edition features the complete soundtrack, dialog excerpts and digital libretto. The (2CD/1DVD) Deluxe Edition contains the complete soundtrack (with and without dialog), deluxe art work, handwritten lyrics, specially printed libretto and the “Making of Ghost Brothers” mini-documentary DVD featuring in-depth interviews with King, Mellencamp and Burnett along with other bonus material. Ghost Brothers of Darkland County digital editions for tablets, smartphones and e-readers will allow users to interact in unprecedented ways with the complete soundtrack + digital libretto, as well as exclusive video and graphic materials.

mae
02-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Seems this was pushed back to June 4, according to Amazon.

mae
02-08-2013, 07:14 AM
I also just got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1892950510/ - I'll put it into the GBDC case once I have it :) Cool little item.

Ari_Racing
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtI5F3odgDo

herbertwest
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
I dont get it.
Amazon have 2 different listins.
- The CD+DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Darkland-County-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B00BHWG1L2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368119484&sr=8-1&keywords=ghost+brothers+darkland&tag=csk-21)
- The hardcover book (http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Brothers-Darkland-County-Stephen/dp/1579402356/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368119484&sr=8-2&keywords=ghost+brothers+darkland)

I thought that there was supposed to be a limited edition with both the book & the CD+DVD. Does anyone have a link for it?

Bev Vincent
05-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm fairly sure the one labelled "hardcover book" is actually this: A hardcover CD/DVD deluxe edition, featuring the musical's libretto as written by King, soundtrack, handwritten lyrics and a mini-documentary about the making of the musical, will be released on June 4, 2013.

The copy they sent me for review has a paperback version of the libretto but no DVD or handwritten lyrics.

you ever seen a ghost?
05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
that is the same thing i got in my review packet. i think the DVD/CD will contain the digital version of the libretto.

-justin

herbertwest
05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm fairly sure the one labelled "hardcover book" is actually this: A hardcover CD/DVD deluxe edition, featuring the musical's libretto as written by King, soundtrack, handwritten lyrics and a mini-documentary about the making of the musical, will be released on June 4, 2013.

The copy they sent me for review has a paperback version of the libretto but no DVD or handwritten lyrics.

thanks. so i'll preorder this one.

TwistedNadine
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
This is the one I pre-ordered. Hope it was the right one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579402356/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bev Vincent
05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
AEG Live is pleased to announce that the southern gothic, supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, written by Stephen King, with music by John Mellencamp and T Bone Burnett, has confirmed a tour of 20 American cities throughout the Midwest and Southeast beginning October 10 in Bloomington, IN, and ending November 6 in Grand Rapids, MI. Tickets go on sale Friday, May 17 at 10am at aeglive.com. This extraordinary collaboration, 13 years in the making, is a haunting tale of fraternal love, lust, jealousy and revenge, which will be performed by an ensemble cast of 15 actors and a four-piece live band. The album of the musical will be released on June 4 via Hear Music and the Concord Music Group.

>>> Read more, including list of locations/dates (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ghost_brothers_of_darkland_county/tour/index.html)

ChristineB
05-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Will be in Nashville in October, may have to go see this one, depending on ticket prices.

CyberGhostface
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Damn not playing in my state. :(

you ever seen a ghost?
05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
the script is really awful...

-justin

mae
05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Really?

Bev Vincent
05-13-2013, 06:43 AM
I haven't spent any time with the libretto to see how it compares to the performance in Atlanta, but I plan to check it out for a forthcoming article. I know there were significant changes to the music. Lyrics were changed and some songs were added/removed.

Bev Vincent
05-28-2013, 11:46 AM
The entire album is now streaming at WSJ: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/05/28/listen-to-john-mellencamp-and-stephen-king-team-up-on-ghost-brothers/

subie09lega
06-05-2013, 07:15 AM
For those not on Lilja's list, good interview regarding the project.

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12958

Bev Vincent
06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
My new FEARnet essay (Stephen King’s Enhanced eBooks (http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/news-dead-zone-stephen-king%E2%80%99s-enhanced-ebooks)) covers the iBooks version of Ghost Brothers (as well as Hard Listening).

Dan
06-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Probably this has been asked and answered, I apoligize. Which version should imordermfrom Amazon? Has anyone received one and been happy with it?

mae
06-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Got mine today. Looks very cool, and has a nice textured feel, the outside slipcase. The book itself is paperback.

Bev Vincent
06-09-2013, 03:46 AM
It's also very big--about the same size as a vinyl record. The three disks are in pockets inside the back cover.

mae
06-09-2013, 04:01 AM
That's what I also thought, that it looks like a vinyl record.

you ever seen a ghost?
06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
i thought the libretto was supposed to be hardbound? the proof was trade paperback, but they told me the libretto was to be hardbound and i thought the website said that as well.

-justin

Bev Vincent
06-10-2013, 02:21 AM
It says "hardcover" not "hardbound," which I suppose is splitting hairs. It is a hard slipcase but the book itself is an oversized paperback. I was surprised, too, when I got my copy.

Merlin1958
06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I have a feeling I am going to regret this!!!! LOL

Bryant Burnette
06-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Well, the DVD is certainly a disappointment. A whopping eleven minutes. Eleven fairly good minutes, granted; but still...that's a YouTube video slapped onto a disc, is what that is.

herbertwest
06-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Is that it??

Ben Staad
06-11-2013, 05:08 AM
I have a feeling I am going to regret this!!!! LOL

Well, the DVD is certainly a disappointment. A whopping eleven minutes. Eleven fairly good minutes, granted; but still...that's a YouTube video slapped onto a disc, is what that is.

Is that it??

I think I will regret buying this as well. For some reason when I saw "DVD" I was expecting a lot more then 11 minutes. To be truthful I was expecting to watch the show and not just some production and back stage stuff.

mae
06-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Well I only bought it for King's text.

Bev Vincent
06-11-2013, 05:49 AM
They were pretty clear up front that the DVD would have a featurette and the digital libretto. "Featurette" is DVD speak for "very short behind the scenes video."

The iBooks version is probably the cheapest way to get everything except for a hardcopy of the libretto.

Ben Staad
06-11-2013, 06:23 AM
They were pretty clear up front that the DVD would have a featurette and the digital libretto. "Featurette" is DVD speak for "very short behind the scenes video."

The iBooks version is probably the cheapest way to get everything except for a hardcopy of the libretto.

I went back and looked at the description. What I saw was this "DVD will feature interview footage with Stephen, John and T Bone plus footage of John recording the show-closing song "Truth."

I read that to mean that this was bonus material in addition to a recording of the show.

Bryant Burnette
06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
DVD is lame; the book itself is a semi-flimsy paperback instead of a hardback; the discs are housed in paper pockets (which love to scratch discs)...the whole thing is kind of a bummer. I'd also love to know what genius had the idea to print the libretto on black paper, so that it immediately begins showing a ton of fingerprints.

I thought the music was pretty great, though.

Dan
06-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Received from Amazon today. First of all, it was shipped perfectly. Completely wrapped in bubble wrap. Was in mint condition. It was free shipping and discounted to $30, so not a bad deal. I have same complaints as everyone else, but not completely upset with the product. I'll try to get around to reading it soon, hopefully.

Merlin1958
06-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Oh, I was pretty sure it was crap before I wated a "Father's Day" gift request on it. However, I collect King and well you guys know the rest!!!

Still, I coulda had a "Yankee" item!!! LOL LOL

cit74
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
If you pop the DVD into your computer - there is a pdf version of the libretto - you can just save a duplicate copy to your desktop and then email it wherever you want to read - i just sent it to ipad and will read it there. Since whatever chemicals they used in the print are pretty noxious. the animation they use in the dvd is what is seen in ibooks (at least the sample i saw on ibooks) - although i doubt that i will purchase that - just to see what extras were added.

Has anyone seen the full ibooks version yet?

Bev Vincent
06-12-2013, 02:04 AM
I have the full ibooks version on my ipad but I haven't compared it to what's in the hardcover edition yet.

Ben Staad
06-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Does anyone now if they plan to release a DVD of the actual show? That was really all I was interested in.

Bev Vincent
06-12-2013, 02:46 AM
There are no plans for that. At one time they discussed including a radio drama-like recording, but all we got were the dialog snippets on the full CD.

TwistedNadine
06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
I like the overall packaging and how it was made to look reminiscent of a vinyl LP but very disappointed the DVD doesnt include the show. I also assumed (nope didnt read the whole description) that it would be a DVD of one of the performances

cit74
06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
I am just glad that I did not pay full retail price for this -

Ben Staad
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Based on the information provided about this item I just sent the seller a request to cancel my order. This sounds like something I do not want in my collection.

jhanic
06-14-2013, 07:32 AM
As a completist, I'm getting it. That's the only reason.

John

Ben Staad
06-14-2013, 07:48 AM

John

Hope you like it. I don't have the means to be a completist so this one can kiss my grits.

subie09lega
06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks Flo. Wow, can't believe I still remember that.

John

Hope you like it. I don't have the means to be a completist so this one can kiss my grits.

Ben Staad
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Flo. Wow, can't believe I still remember that.

John

Hah. This one is on the edge of my memories but I still like it. Nano Nano.

subie09lega
06-14-2013, 03:15 PM
I love how King is always in his jeans and black Velcro sneakers. Then there's T Bone always fancy in his suit and argyles. Then John somewhere in between.
http://liljas-library.com/cell/article.php?id=3643&ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Iwritecode
07-02-2013, 06:17 AM
AEG Live is pleased to announce that the southern gothic, supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, written by Stephen King, with music by John Mellencamp and T Bone Burnett, has confirmed a tour of 20 American cities throughout the Midwest and Southeast beginning October 10 in Bloomington, IN, and ending November 6 in Grand Rapids, MI. Tickets go on sale Friday, May 17 at 10am at aeglive.com. This extraordinary collaboration, 13 years in the making, is a haunting tale of fraternal love, lust, jealousy and revenge, which will be performed by an ensemble cast of 15 actors and a four-piece live band. The album of the musical will be released on June 4 via Hear Music and the Concord Music Group.

>>> Read more, including list of locations/dates (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ghost_brothers_of_darkland_county/tour/index.html)

I guess I'm late to the party but I just saw a TV commercial for this last night. It'll be in my hometown in October. I had glanced at the thread before but never read it so I was vaguely aware of the title but had no idea that it was a play.

Bev Vincent
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
It ran for several weeks as a full performance in Atlanta in April 2012. It's a musical drama, with dialog and songs. The tour is going to be done more in the vein of a radio play. The actors will be in costume, but I'm not sure there will be much by way of staging.

EXPLORER
07-02-2013, 07:47 AM
It ran for several weeks as a full performance in Atlanta in April 2012. It's a musical drama, with dialog and songs. The tour is going to be done more in the vein of a radio play. The actors will be in costume, but I'm not sure there will be much by way of staging.

Meet the Creators (live event at Apple's NY Soho ) Was taped and has been released FREE for download by Apple.
It was a fun event with great conversation and interesting insights about how the touring show in fall will differ from the performance in Atlanta. Wonderful interaction between King, Mellencamp & Burnett.
This topic was discussed in the Q and A segment.
Itunes podcast :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...661888573?mt=2
Q&A starts about 25:33 into podcast with me asking first question.

dnemec
07-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm kind of disappointed they are doing it that way. The Atlanta production was fantastic!

sentinel
07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I agree, I really liked the Atlanta production, I wish that had been on the DVD!

EXPLORER
07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm kind of disappointed they are doing it that way. The Atlanta production was fantastic!

I agree, I really liked the Atlanta production, I wish that had been on the DVD!

I also agree..... and T Bone commented that he thought Atlanta's performance was very well done in a great venue (The Alliance Theater).

However King and Mellencamp seem to be sold on the idea of the reading type performance and spoke of how good it was in a test last year in NYC.
I'll give it a shot and judge later whether their original thought (the upcoming rendition) for the performance can be as good as the musical.
They do not sound like they will rule out going back to doing a musical if there is more demand for it in the future.

I was not familiar with T Bone Burnett prior to GBDC however I see he is producing Elton John's next album.

Bev Vincent
07-02-2013, 05:17 PM
He also produced his last one with Leon Russell, and many of Mellencamp's, as wel as just about anyone else you might care to imagine!

Bryant Burnette
07-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm a little surprised there's no bootlegs of one of the Atlanta performances floating around out there. I'd download one of those in a heartbeat.

needfulthings
07-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Not only does it STINK that I paid CD full price for this misadvertised HARDCOVER book. But the SOFTCOVER book in a hard slipcase itself gives off an OFFENSIVE ODOR. Between the eye strain & the smell I'm sure It will give me one BIG headache trying to read it. OH WELL Just but it on the shelf.
HINT When you but this soft cover book back in its hard slipcase put it in backwards so you don't fuck up the edges of the book.

Bryant Burnette
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Not only does it STINK that I paid CD full price for this misadvertised HARDCOVER book. But the SOFTCOVER book in a hard slipcase itself gives off an OFFENSIVE ODOR. Between the eye strain & the smell I'm sure It will give me one BIG headache trying to read it. OH WELL Just but it on the shelf.
HINT When you but this soft cover book back in its hard slipcase put it in backwards so you don't fuck up the edges of the book.

The book does stink, doesn't it? Literally, I mean. I'm very pleased that I got my copy from Amazon, and at least didn't pay full price for it.

Good tip on putting the book -- which I kinda think of as fancy liner notes more than as an actual book -- into the case spine-first.

Ari_Racing
07-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Did anyone adquire the iPad version? I tried to purchase it but it's only available for the US store.

Garrell
10-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Going to see the opening of the Ghost Brothers tour in Bloomington with Amanda tonight. Should be fun!!!

Bev Vincent
10-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Sneak peek, with video: http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/kingmelle-56815/

EXPLORER
10-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Going to see the opening of the Ghost Brothers tour in Bloomington with Amanda tonight. Should be fun!!!
ENJOY ! ... Would love to hear your view afterwards...
Although this performance is said to be how the duo envisioned it performed,
I wonder if it can be as good or better than the musical stage performance in Atlanta

Ben Staad
10-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Have fun. Hope you have an awesome evening.

Garrell
10-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Was an awesome show and time. Got tshirts and the play poster. I will post photos of the poster when I get off work. Didn't see King or Mellencamp though. I loved the old radio style with the actors sitting in the background when they were not up and the music fit the show incredibally. It was very entertaining from start to finish and the audience seemed to really like the show. Having read King most of my life and seen Mellencamp from 1978 on up, it was easy to distinguish their styles and parts in the play. Seems weird saying that I enjoyed a "musical" but I would see it again later this month but will be in California to see my son and sis and 30th year class reunion.

DoctorZaius
10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I am so envious that you are getting to see this production. Please do some elaboration on the show itself, without ruining it of course. I hope it gets up to the northeast at some point.

mae
05-25-2014, 05:35 AM
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/05/23/living/collins-center-to-bring-stephen-king-john-mellencamp-musical-to-its-stage-in-november/

Collins Center for the Arts Executive Director Danny Williams offered up a sneak preview of one of the shows to be included in the upcoming announcement of the center’s 2014-2015 season. The CCA will welcome the kickoff performance of the national tour of Stephen King and John Mellencamp’s musical “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” to its stage in early November.

Williams said the musical, with a libretto by King, music and lyrics by Mellencamp and production assistance from T-Bone Burnett, will hold technical rehearsals for the tour for the four or five days leading up to the two performances at the CCA. The first night of the show will be the CCA’s gala opening for this year’s season.

“It’s an incredibly exciting thing for us and for the region in general, as synonymous as we are with Stephen King,” said Williams. “We’re lucky enough to be the first stop on their national tour.”

“Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” is described as a “southern Gothic” musical, centering on two brothers who hate each other who are forced by their father to spend the night in a haunted cabin, where they are visited by the ghosts of two brothers who also hate each other. Mellencamp’s music draws on blues, country and rock, and King’s story brings in familiar elements of the supernatural and American family struggle.

The musical had its premiere at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta in April 2012, and had a 20-city tour of the Midwest and South in the fall of 2013. A soundtrack album featuring musicians including Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, Kris Kristofferson and Neko Case was released in June 2013. This tour will be the musical’s first national tour. Tickets and exact dates and showtimes for the Orono performances will be announced later this summer.

The new season also will bring more changes at the Collins Center for the Arts. On the heels of the announcement that Williams, a former University of Maine Foundation officer, was named executive director of the arts facility back in March, Williams confirmed Friday that associate director Adele Adkins would also be leaving her position.

Adkins was with the Collins Center for more than 15 years, assisting with both programming and marketing. Williams said her leaving the position marks a “changing of the guards” for the nearly 30-year-old cultural center.

“She has been a great asset for us over the years and has done a great job,” said Williams. “There are a lot of things here and at the university in general that are naturally evolving. Change is in the air.”

What position Adkins will take next and where is not yet known. The CCA will be hiring a new marketing and outreach director in the coming months, while the task of programming will fall mostly to Williams for the foreseeable future.

EXPLORER
05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Pablo, it will be interesting to see where a tour schedule takes it. i would see it again if came to a location nearby or where I might travel.

dnemec
05-25-2014, 07:03 AM
I would love to see it again. Hope it comes close!

Bev Vincent
06-12-2014, 10:57 AM
AEG Live announced today (http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1983551) that the southern gothic, supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will tour across North America this Fall. Written by celebrated suspense author Stephen King, with music by Grammy Award-winning John Mellencamp and produced by Grammy and Academy Award-winning T-Bone Burnett, the tour will hit 18 cities this fall.

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES
Nov 8 Orono, ME Collins Center For The Arts
Nov 9 Orono, ME Collins Center For The Arts
Nov 11 Toronto, ON Massey Hall
Nov 13 Philadelphia, PA Merriam Theatre
Nov 14 Durham, NC Durham Performing Arts Center
Nov 15 Washington, DC Warner Theatre
Nov 16 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House
Nov 18 Red Bank, NJ Count Basie Theatre
Nov 20 Portland, ME Merrill Auditorium
Nov 21 Boston, MA Emerson Colonial Theatre
Nov 22 Providence, RI The VETS
Nov 24 New York, NY Beacon Theatre
Nov 26 Detroit, MI Fisher Theatre
Nov 28 Chicago, IL Chicago Oriental Theatre
Nov 29 St. Louis, MO Peabody Opera House
Dec 1 Denver, CO Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre
Dec 3 Phoenix, AZ Orpheum Theatre
Dec 4 Los Angeles, CA Saban Theatre
Dec 5 San Francisco, CA Curran Theatre

herbertwest
06-12-2014, 11:30 AM
thanks!
I hope that they will take the opportunity of this tour to record a video, as if i remember correctly you said that it was quite a visual musical.

Heather19
06-13-2014, 05:09 AM
Any word on when tickets are going on sale? They're coming nearby, so I definitely don't want to miss it.

CRinVA
06-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Tickets go on sale June 19th! How apropo!

Heather19
06-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Thanks! I just checked and looks like some go on sale the 20th as well. I wonder if that's just a typo. Also AEG doesn't list any info on ticket prices or anything.

CRinVA
06-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Right - I was looking for prices but nothing yet!

I'm looking for tickets at the Warner Theatre in Washington, DC on Sat Nov. 15th!!!!!

Heather19
06-13-2014, 05:43 AM
I'll have to keep my eye on them. I've already got a reminder set for when they go on sale. Either Boston or Providence isn't too far for me.

CRinVA
06-13-2014, 06:08 AM
I went directly to Warner Theatre web page and see ticket price ranges between $52 and $96 (which includes stupid add-on fees of $12.50 to $16.50)!

DoctorZaius
06-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Ordered my tickets this morning for the Boston, November 21st show - can't wait. First row mezzanine!

DoctorZaius
06-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I'll have to keep my eye on them. I've already got a reminder set for when they go on sale. Either Boston or Providence isn't too far for me.

There is a presale today.

Randall Flagg
06-19-2014, 11:47 AM
They want over $100 a ticket for "fair" seats at the San Francisco event.
For those who have seen it; is it worth that price?

EXPLORER
06-19-2014, 02:01 PM

The cheap seats in NYC NY Beacon Theatre Upper Balcony...... are $102 plus tax & fees (only 6 seats still available)
Only 2 of the best Orchestra seats left at $360 +

EXPLORER
06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
that is better than Phoenix, AZ Orpheum Theatre prices also.

EXPLORER
06-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Phoenix, St Louis and others seem to be in similar range of over $100 - 300-$400 for prime seats.

However:

GHOST BROTHERS OF DARKLAND COUNTY 11/08/14 To 11/09/14 Orono, ME
Ticket Prices $79.00 - $59.00 - $39.00
A $3/per ticket fee is included and no other fees will be added.

CRinVA
06-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Orderede tickets for teh Warner Theater in Washington DC - Nov 15th! $140 for two tickets! :-)

dnemec
06-23-2014, 09:26 AM

We paid about $185 for the pair to see it in Atlanta. It was really great, and even my non-reading boyfriend enjoyed it. My only hesitation is that it won't be as good as the original run, but if you didn't see it...

Bev Vincent
10-29-2014, 03:07 AM
6-minute inverview: Extended Cut: King, Mellencamp Promote “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” Musical (http://wabi.tv/2014/10/28/extended-cut-king-mellencamp-promote-ghost-brothers-darkland-county-musical/)

EXPLORER
10-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Looking forward to seeing it again and experiencing the touring version.
Would love to be in Orono for opening of tour however chose another venue to fit with other travels.

... and Thanks Bev for sharing that interview... always great to hear such off the cuff remarks.

DoctorZaius
11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Just saw the show in Boston on Friday, November 21st. Mixed review from me. The music and the singing were phenomenal. Sorry Stephen, but the book/dialog, not so phenomenal. I was trying to figure out why, and the best I can figure is that King's unique style of dialog comes off the page so well because we, the readers, have the benefits of exposition, of inner thoughts, of motivations, etc. A two hour musical does not have the time to invest in the same kind on characterization as a novel, or even a short story. In the end, much of the dialog came off flat and often contrived. The story itself reminds me, thematically, of Roland's journey in The Dark Tower books, but this time, with some resolution. The sparse staging was reminiscent of the musical Once. Overall, well worth my time, and yours. I would love to hear the thoughts from others who have seen it.

tippy4
12-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Saw it in Beverly Hills this month....my wife disliked it, and I was lukewarm on it at best.....

mikeC
05-02-2017, 06:07 AM
I thought this was a funny quote about SK from JCM.

You worked extensively with Stephen King on the musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County. What did you guys have in common?
I'm a hypochondriac. Steve's a hypochondriac. "Steve, I can't possibly have sickle cell anemia. But I think I do." And he's always got some kind of ankle disease or some shit. But he explained it to me. He said, "Here's the thing, John. You and I make shit up for a living. When we have idle time on our hands, we turn it on ourselves and make shit up. You don't have sickle cell!"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/john-mellencamp-on-bob-dylan-stephen-king-the-kinks-w477544

Ari_Racing
05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Ha! Priceless!

herbertwest
05-08-2017, 01:23 PM
I am REALLY disappointed that there wasn"t a video recording sold as a DVD!

mae
10-24-2018, 12:53 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Stephen-King-and-John-Mellencamp-Will-Redevelop-GHOST-BROTHERS-OF-DARKLAND-COUNTY-for-Licensing-20181022

Stephen King and John Mellencamp Will Redevelop GHOST BROTHERS OF DARKLAND COUNTY for Licensing

Broadway Licensing is working with Stephen King and John Mellencamp to redevelop their haunting musical for worldwide licensing.

The Gothic southern musical about a decades-old tragedy that haunts the population of a small town has a roots rock score by Grammy winner Mellencamp, ("Pink Houses", "Jack and Diane", "Small Town") and a book by "Carrie," "Misery" and "The Shining" Master of Horror novelist King. It premiered in a full stage production in 2012 at the ALLIANCE THEATRE in Atlanta, GA. The production also played a limited concert tour.

"We are humbled and honored to have been entrusted by Steve and John to redevelop their thrilling and innovative musical," says Broadway Licensing president Sean Cercone. "The newly revised version will be available for worldwide licensing in 2019."

Author Stephen King says "This is terrific news. I loved working with John Mellencamp, and the ghostly result is one of my most proud accomplishments."

John Mellencamp added, "When Steve and I decided to mount a musical ... neither of us knew what we were doing... we learned on the job.. I have never had so much fun or laughed so hard in my life...."

A studio album of Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, recorded in 2010, was released from Hear Records/Concord Records Group. A standard, single-disc version includes the complete songs, dialogue excerpts and digital libretto; while a two-disc format features complete songs (with and without dialogue), deluxe artwork, "handwritten lyrics," a libretto and a DVD with a "Making of Ghost Brothers" documentary including interviews with King, Mellencamp and album producer T Bone Burnett along with other bonus material.

For more information about Broadway Licensing, call (866) 639-7529 or email info@broadwaylicensing.com.

Broadway Licensing (www.broadwaylicensing.com) is a full service theatrical partner specializing in the development, production, and worldwide distribution of new and established theatrical properties. Broadway Licensing services the Playscripts collection and Stageworks Media, a development company committed to creating new musicals and plays.

Ari_Racing
02-27-2023, 09:18 AM
Still crossing my fingers it's recorded and released in Blu-Ray