PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

mae
05-08-2009, 05:59 AM
So who's seen this already in the Thursday night preview showings? I was tempted, but I'll be going this weekend. I'm very excited. I'm not a big fan of Star Trek, I watched on and off The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 back in the early 90s as a teen and was fascinated, but never seen the original series nor any of the movies or the newer series. I just started watching TNG again on DVD and it's really nostalgic but also very good and interesting. And all indication is that this new film will be huge.

And of course this only bodes well for the Dark Tower.

:excited:

Seymour_Glass
05-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Love :wub:

Pretty perfect writing, direction, acting, effects, score, everything.

Sam
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
So Seymore, tell us how you really feel.

candy
05-09-2009, 03:50 AM
i watched this last night, and oh my god it was fantastic

the geek in me was in heaven due to old references but it also does not alienate new fans.

it does not dwell on technology -so any clashes with the original series are not glaringly obvious.

the actors that they chose were just brilliant.

its safe to say i came home last night a very happy bunny indeed

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 06:02 AM
I have seen every single Star Trek episode there is out there, minus half of Voyager. Lost interest in the series at that time. However, I have seen every movie except the newest one. I guess that means you can't call me a Trekkie because it's not #1 on my list of things to get done :lol:

Anyway, probably see it Monday night. Let the crowd die down a bit.:rock:

candy
05-09-2009, 06:24 AM
let us know what you think when you have seen it, dying to discuss it with someone.

but will wait till more people have seen it then i am not putting spoilers all over

**sits patiently**

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 06:26 AM
I was planning on it tomorrow, but I forgot it is Mother's Day. Hmmmm..maybe I am a Trekkie if I put it above Mother's Day. :lol:

OH...unless there's another thread, I have a question about Voyager. Did they ever make it home or did they end the series before?

razz
05-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I was supposed to go yesterday but something came up with a friend so he couldn't go.

candy
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
i was a full blown original trekie and NG trekie. dibbed in and out of voyager but could never get into DS9 for some reason. i do know the answer to your voyager questions but am putting it in spoilers just in case

yes they did, it was not a simple - oh look we are home episode, it was really complicated in a way on star trek can do. oh and it was really sad too

in fact, its one of the few finales i really enjoyed and admired

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 06:56 AM
i was a full blown original trekie and NG trekie. dibbed in and out of voyager but could never get into DS9 for some reason. i do know the answer to your voyager questions but am putting it in spoilers just in case

yes they did, it was not a simple - oh look we are home episode, it was really complicated in a way on star trek can do. oh and it was really sad too

in fact, its one of the few finales i really enjoyed and admired

hmmm...I might have see if I can down load it. ty

sarajean
05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
to boldly go...the star trek discussion thread (http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1701)

:D

Nerak
05-09-2009, 08:15 AM
OMG!!! The movie was sooo awsome!!

I loved loved loved the references to all the old characters! The new characters they picked were perfect! Everything about it was AWSOME!!!!!

candy
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
hey sarajean, will you be merging this thread?

Nerkak - wasn't it just the best? sat there all the wa through with goosbumps (spoilt slightly by the snoring old fart behind me!!!)

i just thought the actors they got to play the parts where spot on, both in looks and mannerisms with one VERY notable exception and as soon as you watch the film you will know who i am talking about

turtlex
05-09-2009, 08:40 AM
*shakes fist* I'm OnCall for work so can't go until Monday !!!

sarajean
05-09-2009, 08:50 AM

probably not...yet.

mord had asked where there was a star trek discussion, so i was pointing him in the right direction, that's all.

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
*shakes fist* I'm OnCall for work so can't go until Monday !!!

I'm right there with ya. I have to wait until Monday too.

probably not...yet.

mord had asked where there was a star trek discussion, so i was pointing him in the right direction, that's all.

Thank you! you know I'm clueless!

sarajean
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
:rolleyes:

oh, yes...i'm aware. :P

turtlex
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
( I can sooooo see sj doing that rolling eyes thing )

sarajean
05-09-2009, 09:24 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/1196146390.jpg

turtlex
05-09-2009, 10:29 AM
:wub: :blush: :wub: Yup. That's the look. :wub: :blush: :wub:

sarajean
05-09-2009, 10:35 AM
:lol: that picture is, like, two years old and was taken at work on a very frustrating day.

mae
05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Going finally to see it tonight! :panic:

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 02:16 PM
SHUT UP PABLO!!

just kidding

RUBE
05-09-2009, 03:45 PM
The alternate time-line and time travel was very Lost/Dark Tower-like. With that and how I got into this movie without being a Trek fan I am now very excited about the Dark Tower movies being good.

mae
05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow, just got back from seeing this. Pure awesomeness. I can't even analyze this now... just wow.

Mordred Deschain
05-09-2009, 07:08 PM
SHUT UP PABLO!!

just kidding

Wow, just got back from seeing this. Pure awesomeness. I can't even analyze this now... just wow.

:P

Mordred Deschain
05-10-2009, 05:16 AM
damn I was trying to post the video of Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update last night with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Leonard Nemoy. Here's a link to the website, youtube doesn't seem to have it yet.

http://tv.popcrunch.com/chris-pine-zachary-quinto-leonard-nimoy-star-trek-snl-weekend-update-video/

If you didn't see it, I thought it was pretty funny. Chris and Zachary talk about being harrassed from Trekkies or Trekkers. And then Leonard Nemoy comes out. You have to listen to what Nemoy says. He glorifies Chris being an awesome Cpt. Kirk and then he looks at Zachary and says that he was ALMOST the best Spock or something like that. If an old navy add comes up on the video, wait it thru, I don't know how to skip it.

candy
05-10-2009, 07:41 AM
god darn it, the clip is not available in my location. why? hm am i on a leper colony or something grrrrr......

anyhoo, agree ith you pablo is was awesome.

DoctorDodge
05-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. I'm not a HUGE Star Trek fan, but i knew enough to appreciate what the filmmaker's had done to remain faithful, yet update the story enough to interest newcomers.

And Simon Pegg as Scotty = pure awesomeness. Perhaps, dare i say it, even more awesome than Mordred's signature!

fernandito
05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I've never watched a Star Trek episode in my life, yet I really really want to see this movie. :)

Mordred Deschain
05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
And Simon Pegg as Scotty = pure awesomeness. Perhaps, dare i say it, even more awesome than Mordred's signature!

what? NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo.....

heh..ya when I saw him on the previews I was like brilliant!

I've never watched a Star Trek episode in my life, yet I really really want to see this movie. :)

get out! leave...don't ever come back!!! heh...just kidding.

mae
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM

It's really not necessary to enjoy this film to have seen Star Trek. That was their mission statement. One might even be so bold as to say that since it's a new alternate reality timeline, it doesn't matter if you've seen Star Trek or not. But we all know some things from it that have entered the popular culture parlance, like "My God man, I'm a doctor, not a..." and a few other things that pop up here and there. If you've seen some Star Trek, there will be more nods that you'll notice, but like I said, it's an absolutely awesome and cool sci-fi action film that anyone can see and enjoy the hell out of.

Live long and prosper!

Ka-mai
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Nerkak - wasn't it just the best? sat there all the wa through with goosbumps (spoilt slightly by the snoring old fart behind me!!!)

i just thought the actors they got to play the parts where spot on, both in looks and mannerisms with one VERY notable exception and as soon as you watch the film you will know who i am talking about

I don't know who you're talking about. :( But then again I'm only a little familiar with the original Star Trek.

I thought this movies was excellent, with the exception of the whole "dramatically giving birth in crisis while your husband saves hundreds" scene. Childbirth scenes in movies are terrible and unnecessary about 99% of the time. My boyfriend didn't like that freaky alien dude that was hanging out with Scotty. Also, I DO know that Spock's mother is in one of the old movies, so I was kind of like "wtf" on that... but I guess they were all "ooh, time travel, we can do what we want here." But I thought it was an excellent movie. The special effects were awesome, not cheesy at all like a lot of new movies (coughHarryPottercough coughStarWarscough).

LadyHitchhiker
05-11-2009, 04:31 AM
I am going Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D I'm excited and will check the spoilers out afterwards and let you know what I think.
<----------- enormous Trekkie. I'm working on getting all the star trek books, and I have seen every tng tos and enterprise episode, and most of voyager, but not as much ds9 because of the change in stations that disrupted my Trek life. Bleh. :(
But I will be able to tell you what I think quite soon!!!!!! :cool:

candy
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM

good god man nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know who you're talking about. :( But then again I'm only a little familiar with the original Star Trek.

that was the one i was talking about, he just grated on me with the scottish accent that was there one minute and then gone the next, it got to a point where i did not want to see him on screen no more which is a shame as
a) love scotty
b) love simon pegg
just wish they had got a proper scottish chap in

and i loved loved loved scotty friend.
i actually said ahhh out loud when he left him lol

LadyHitchhiker
05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I can't believe you've never seen any star trek feev!!!!!! You can come watch it at my house! I have all of the original series and all of enterprise at my house so that's a start, and then I have all the movies...

New Star Trek Movie release date to dvd: July 29th!!!!!!!!

candy
05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
thats a date for my diary, although saying that it may be after that over here in UK
hey ho - i shall keep my peepers peeled

Mordred Deschain
05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Isn't Ewan Mcgregor Scottish?

DoctorDodge
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
that was the one i was talking about, he just grated on me with the scottish accent that was there one minute and then gone the next, it got to a point where i did not want to see him on screen no more which is a shame as
a) love scotty
b) love simon pegg
just wish they had got a proper scottish chap in

and i loved loved loved scotty friend.

I honestly didn't mind Pegg as Scotty, but then I'm not a huge fan of Scotty anyway. I don't hate him or anything, i clearly just don't love him as much as you do, candy, lol. I also don't mind the fact that they didn't use a proper scottish chap, considering, well, James Doohan was american, anyway. But then again i wasn't being that observant with Pegg's accent slippage.

I think the only thing that annoyed me was that little green dude. Wtf was he doing there, anyway?

mae
05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
All is forgiven due to Pegg's line:

"You're from the future then? Brilliant! Do they still have sandwiches there?"

Not verbatim, perhaps, and perhaps a tad silly and juvenile, but it had me laughing out loud.

Ka-mai
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
:P I liked it too.

Erin
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I absolutely loved it.

Matt
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I wish I could see it. It's one hour one way to get to a movie theater for me

sarajean
05-12-2009, 11:14 AM
i cheated. i haven't the time (or the babbysitters) to go to the movies, so we watched it from the comfort of our couch last night online. that said. i fucking loved it.

turtlex
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
<-- loves a woman who can illegally watch a new movie online.

sarajean
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
:ninja:

Bev Vincent
05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
It's hard to believe that our little Bobby Garfield grew up to be Pavel Chekov!

LadyHitchhiker
05-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I truly loved this movie. I had tears in my eyes during many a part, and my husband's shorts will never be the same, since I was grasping them so hard during the movie, during parts I was excited (which actually was a lot of the movie). I had little nitpicky bits I didn't like about it, but let's completely overlook the fact Kirk's eyes are blue, or that Vulcan's sky wasn't red. Let's overlook that, and accept: this movie was amazing

Leonard Nimoy once again rocked my world :cool:
Sulu I thought was better than the original
Chekhov was sooooo smart but I didn't like his curly hair
Spock and Uhura together soooooooooooo hot, though I would have liked to see a curvier Uhura, but it's okay.
Kirk's playful womanizing nature, instead of acting like he could completely fall in love with any woman at the drop of the hat? Nice touch.
McCoy was super super dreamy hot, even though he didn't have the baby blues, and I loved his lines.
And Scotty was actually fun, even though I didn't think he would be. I mean, someone who isn't James Doohan being Scotty? I still liked him.
I even liked the guy who played Christopher Pike. (Actually I like him in every movie he is, bad guy, good guy, he's great)
And Eric Bana? Well, with what few lines he had, still a badass.

But I have a question for those who have seen this movie already:

Why couldn't Spock just go back to the future and destroy the sun ahead of time so Romulus was never destroyed? Or was there too much of a time difference because of the whole Romulan ship coming through 25 years ago?

Just curious.

But it was hot. It was amazing. It was brilliant, and I don't know if they could have done much better than what they did. I give it a 12 out of 10 stars. :nana:

The jokes were funny without being overly cheesy, and the script was definitely there, even though I wished they had gone a little bit more into the Romulan backstory, but we couldn't make it into 3 hours, now could we?

Here's hoping there's a sequel!

mae
05-15-2009, 07:09 AM
and my husband's shorts will never be the same

Quote of the year!

LadyHitchhiker
05-15-2009, 08:19 AM
and my husband's shorts will never be the same

Quote of the year!

I can just imagine this being in someone's siggy... oh how THAT will be misconstrued... LOL

candy
05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
i must say i wa tempted to use it for a sig, esp edited

I truly loved this movie. I had tears in my eyes during many a part, and my husband's shorts will never be the same, since I was grasping them so hard during the movie

Here's hoping there's a sequel!

i must say i agree with you, i thought the actors they got where brilliant and esp loved zach quinto as spock, more so because he is such a good sylar in heroes that i was unsure if he could make me beleive he was spock, but he soo did. and how young did he look????

i cant answer your question unfortunatley but think it may be something to do with one of those paradox things.

behind you on the sequel though :rock:

sarajean
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
for those of you with facebook. star trek easter egg contest. (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/note.php?note_id=80929709882&ref=mf)

Mordred Deschain
05-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I just got back from seeing Star Trek, it was...

AWESOME!

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Meh.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 4.

Star Trek works best when it comments on the human condition. This film had little of that: it was a simplistic action film that put style over substance. Where was the moral? What was the message? The meaning? What was the point? The issues which were raised are hard to comprehend in any sense outside of that of being conventions used by the filmmakers.
...I have a question for those who have seen this movie already:

Why couldn't Spock just go back to the future and destroy the sun ahead of time so Romulus was never destroyed? Or was there too much of a time difference because of the whole Romulan ship coming through 25 years ago?

Just curious.
...Apparently, Spock had no choice about time travelling. Still, someone in the later generations should be able to do something about it. What does this film say about the science of reality or about the nature of humanity's place?The reason that fiction franchises have been given continuous storylines is to reflect the static nature of our real lives, and thus give us dramas that we can relate to. If the world around me were pure chaos, and everything could change without warning, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Preventing any descent into such madness is one of the things which heroes like James Kirk have always fought against.

I think that this Star Trek's creators failed to understand the subtle morals of the past and focused too much on the money to be made from shallower audiences.

obscurejude
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmmm... I don't know Mike. I wish there was more substance and ontological discussion, but there was some... but maybe you're right about what little there is basically being filler. I was going to comment on leadership, friendship, integrity... but you're right, its not as poignant as it seems.

It was strange seeing very little emotion conveyed in the midst of genocide. Exterminating the Vulcans was an interesting choice...

Geomon
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
It was ok. I'd have to watch it again to see if I really enjoyed it.

pathoftheturtle
05-18-2009, 07:37 AM
... I was going to comment on leadership, friendship, integrity... but you're right, its not as poignant as it seems.
Well, in any case, its not nearly as poignant as the treatment of those themes in The Wrath of Khan.

It was strange seeing very little emotion conveyed in the midst of genocide. Exterminating the Vulcans was an interesting choice...Right: you'd think that that would have been motive enough to try to restore the original timeline.

In the nexus, Kirk could have been virtually immortal and created any alternate world for himself that he liked, but he left it because it was not real. He wanted to make a difference. Will this new Kirk feel that way?

turtlex
05-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Okay, finally saw it.
I liked it.
I didn't love it.
It doesn't touch Khan as far as storytelling goes, nor does it get close to Voyage Home in humor or warmth.
Truly appreciated the "in memory of" after the credits but really wish they had been before the credits, rather than dead last.
I get this odd kind of feeling that people are forgetting Gene in all this hoopla.

Does this mean, since they've mucked with the timeline of pretty much every Star Trek series ever now, that Tasha Yar will be back in the next movie someplace down the line?

Oh, and best casting, IMHO - Karl Urban. Hands down.

candy
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Okay, finally saw it.
I liked it.
I didn't love it.
It doesn't touch Khan as far as storytelling goes, nor does it get close to Voyage Home in humor or warmth.

Oh, and best casting, IMHO - Karl Urban. Hands down.

i thought all 3 of the 'big guns' were fantastic casting.

in terms of the story line, tbh i was expecting it to be really bad so because my expectations where so low, i thought it was really good.

which i know is a really topsy turvy way of looking at things - but hey thats me:orely:

turtlex
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh, I liked it - but with all the hub-bub I was expecting it to be amazingly great and really, I didn't think so.

I really thought they made Kirk into a bit of a jerk, which I didn't like. Arrogant and cocky, but not a jerk.

Oh, and why was She-Hulk there? :P

KaLikeAWheel
05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Saw it over the weekend and loved it!! Kirk with blue eyes and Vulcan's sky being the wrong color bothered me, but that's just my inner geek coming out. The casting was brilliant! Even my husband (the uber-Trek-geek) loved it, and I expected him to nitpick it to death. I could've lived without the Uhura/Spock thing, though when watching the original series, I did always get the feeling those two had a deeper relationship than was ever explored on screen.

Donna

turtlex
05-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Donna - I really could have done without that as well, but sort of ignored it. :D

( the inner geek in me wondered if perhaps they were trying to steal a little of the TOS's thunder, what with the Uhura/Kirk kiss being the first ever inter-racial kiss on network television )

candy
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
i agree with both of the above, i dont think it was done to steal thunder i think it was just done to sex things up. rather stupidly if you ask me,

turtlex
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
You guys have to try this... it's too funny.

http://www.trekyourself.com/

sarajean
05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
i posted mine in the other trek thread, pammikins. :P

turtlex
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Oops. Sorry. My girl just sent me one and I figured I'd share.

sarajean
05-20-2009, 12:37 PM
there's no reason it can't be both places. :D

idk, my bff jill?
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I watched it on Saturday, and it was even better than I had expected!
I loved it!

As if I needed another reason to worship J.J. Abrams, Zachary Quinto, and Eric Bana. :wub:

Ka-mai
05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I actually kind of liked the Uhura/Spock deal, just because it's so hard to imagine Spock having a sex life. :lol: It made him more human (or Vulcan) in my mind.

pathoftheturtle
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
:P They should have called this movie "Kirk and Spock's Excellent Adventure."
Nimoy was all like, "The future will be totally non-triumphant if you two dudes get separated." :lol:

KaLikeAWheel
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Nimoy was all like, "The future will be totally non-triumphant if you two dudes get separated." :lol:

OMG :rofl:

I'm at work, and I think I just broke my spleen trying not to laugh loud enough to wake up my patients. :rofl:

Mordred Deschain
05-26-2009, 01:25 PM

hahahahah...Kirk and Spock go to Whitecastle! I mean it already had Harold...where the f was Kumar?

jayson
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
YouTube - My Favorite Movie (Star Trek vs. Star Wars)

turtlex
05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
My only response to that -- Let The Wookiee Win.

:thumbsup:

sarajean
05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
:thumbsup:

:wub:

Woofer
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Saw it last night. I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed it, and the effects were (of course) awesome, but as pathoftheturtle pointed out, it missed a critical aspect of Star Trek - well, missed or just didn't care and traded it for flash and glam.

I thought that Spock prime might go through via the hole caused by the red matter somehow and/or that Scotty would figure out how to bring Amanda back from the transporter a la ST:TNG. Alas, neither happened.

By NOT going back and "fixing" the timeline, they have not contradicted ST:TOS in any way and have, instead, opened up an entirely new box of adventures for the crew of NCC-1701. I'm kind of okay with that, but I do hope there is a little more depth and a little less "trendiness" in the next movie. Hey, it's Hollywood. You know there will be another movie.

Soooo. Tough call.

Woofer Trek Background: While I don't have all the episodes on tape or anything of that nature, I am a Trekker (or Trekkie if you prefer) from way the hell back. My father made some faux (wooden) phasers, tricorders, and communicators for my brother and me so that we could play Star Trek as kids (I was about 5 or so). I always played Scotty. Yes, I was Scotty. Nyah nyah nyah. That was back in bad old 1969. Also, I still have my original models of the Enterprise, Constellation, and a warbird from when I was 9ish.

Agreed on Karl Urban's awesome job. I didn't even bloody recognize him! :thumbsup:

mystima
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
if you remember in both the Search for Spock and in TNG it tells us that Spock's father remarried after his mother died. both women are human(mother and Sarek's new wife) but this is his stepmother in both movie and tng.

Woofer
05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
However, Amanda Grayson was Spock's mother, and that's how Winona Ryder was credited in the movie. More information on Spock's lineage here (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Sarek), here (http://www.marketaz.co.uk/StarTrek/Vulcan/Sarek-bib.html), or here (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Amanda_Grayson).

turtlex
05-29-2009, 02:19 AM
Crap!!! Woof just reminded me that was Winona Ryder.

Woofer
05-29-2009, 03:53 AM
Yeah. Like I told Cthulhu Lady: "Winona Ryder is playing Spock's mom? It's official. We're old."
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Freak279/Characters%20and%20Professions/Get_of_mah_lawn_by_de_Mote.gif

candy
05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah. Like I told Cthulhu Lady: "Winona Ryder is playing Spock's mom? It's official. We're old."
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Freak279/Characters%20and%20Professions/Get_of_mah_lawn_by_de_Mote.gif

I KNEW IT!!!!! I did not want to look as i knew it would age me out, BUT i bloody knew it.

ok so thats two casting that have got my back yp
(love the smilie tho)

Woofer
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Heh heh. Thanks. I thought it was appropriate for the subtopic.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I wish I could see it. It's one hour one way to get to a movie theater for me

Download the DVD like I did :)

Matt
06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
:ninja:

cozener
06-08-2009, 11:49 AM
All in all, I didn't like it. It was exciting enough but messy. It just seemed disorganized the whole way through. Also, how is it people that are in Starfleet Academy and in Kirk's case not even that much, get to suddenly turn around and be the bridge crew of a ship worth approximately 1,394,494,934,939 credits? That part really annoyed the hell out of me. And then they sort of 'pick up' Scotty more than halfway through the film and he somehow gets put in charge of the Enterprise' engines. But then, I guess if all you have to have to be made the captain of a starship is the last name "Kirk" Scotty's winning his place as chief engineer of a Starfleet battlecruiser by 'hooking up' with Kirk along the way makes perfect sense. I mean seriously, the way they introduced Scotty reminded me of the time that some street walker I deigned to say "Hello" to followed me and my friends to a frat party.

I'm still on the fence with how they worked the plot...basically making it so that they can rewrite cannon anyway they want. I can't decide if its pure genius or just the easy way to get out of following the established history. I guess its a bit of both.

Spock? WTF? Emotional enough for ya? Hey Spock why don't you just break down and start balling like a little girl!?

Now I will say that McCoy? Dead...fucking...on. Perfectly written and acted. I'll see the next one just so I can see how McCoy works out.

Ka-mai
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I will agree that being like "ooh, time travel!" was probably the easiest (and therefor probably worst) way to take their own creative liberties. It was lazy. Still like the film, though.

And Spock WAS emotional, I mean, I never watched much original Star Trek, but I'm pretty sure Spock was always cool and collected. So watching him flip out like a nutjob was kind of weird.

Also, am I completely dense for not realizing Winona Ryder was in this? Yes. I'm less happy now that I know. :lol:

cozener
06-09-2009, 05:02 AM
She was? Wow...I totally missed that one.

candy
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
She was? Wow...I totally missed that one.

she was - but we dont like to talk about it due to the terribleness that is Ms Ryder playing spocks mum.

just to got back a few posts, respock being too emotional, i have to agree with you on this one, i know he is half human but the whole trek series was made around him havin no emotions and things being logical. the most frustrating part is, its sylar for gods sake!!! ZQ plays sylar brilliantly without emotion, so i say its down to scripting!!!

Woofer
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think). He was all right, but he was too Sylar for me.

candy
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
probabley because he played sylar better, ie without depth:wtf:

jhanic
06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
My daughter and 12-year-old grandson took me to see this Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably because I didn't over-analyze it. This was my grandson's second viewing and he said he enjoyed just as much as the first.

John

Arthur Heath
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably because I didn't over-analyze it.
Here here. I felt the same way. I thought the casting couldnt have been better (in the exception of Scotty. I would have loved to see Paul McGillion in that roll). Outside of Spock I thought the actor who portrayed Bones nailed it the best. I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.

Woofer
06-11-2009, 04:25 AM
*looks around for the post she made after this one* :orely:

I guess I never hit post reply.

Bottom line: Some of us can't divorce the images of TOS and the spirit of all of the ST series from it. We've been Trekkers for 7x as long as we haven't (42 years). That is a lot of years to influence our view of the franchise, particularly when you consider the additional influences of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise over those 42 years.

But I did like Bones, goddammit. Karl Urban rocked my world as young Leonard McCoy. :wub:

candy
06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
*looks around for the post she made after this one* :orely:

I guess I never hit post reply.

Bottom line: Some of us can't divorce the images of TOS and the spirit of all of the ST series from it. We've been Trekkers for 7x as long as we haven't (42 years). That is a lot of years to influence our view of the franchise, particularly when you consider the additional influences of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise over those 42 years.

But I did like Bones, goddammit. Karl Urban rocked my world as young Leonard McCoy. :wub:

you know, i actually quite liked Kirk too. not to start with, but he did grow on me, and he certainly had that kirk twinkle in his eye. mr c thoughts on this
are that kirk would never have got as far as he did due to his whole rebelish ness and recklessness, he would never have been invited into the academy with this attitude (basing this on original starfleet discussions from star trek and NG)
spock as mentioned, would appear at first glance to be perfect casting, but i felt let down by the script with spock, mr c thoughts on this and he felt that spock would have been very emotional when he was younger and he would still be coming to terms with his human part, and the spock we saw on Strek would have been one that had spent years coming to terms with this.

Loved bones, and he had the perfect lines (very bonesish). therefore I can only presume that the script writers only watched a few of the old episodes and based the film on these. mr c says he thought he was shorter

as previously mentioned i did not rate scotty, very badly casted, scripted and thought out. mr c says; in the series they were all the same age, but scotty in this film was a decade older.

turtlex
06-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Karl Urban was probably my favorite part of the movie. It's been a couple of weeks now, and that's still what stands out in my mind. He nailed the role.

pathoftheturtle
06-11-2009, 08:01 AM
That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think)...Sadly, I think just the opposite. <_< Leonard Nimoy created one of the most deeply layered characters ever to be on T.V. All that I saw was the dissolution of all of that.:arg:

One way of looking at it, though, which is kind of interesting:One of the unexpected side effects of the early demise of Kirk's father, apparently, was that Spock's father stopped being a total jerk much earlier in life. Did this Sarek object at all to Spock going into Starfleet? No clear reason why that should be so, but that's chaos theory for you. One little thing leads to another, and another...

...I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.Best line in the movie; Kirk asks something like "Who is that Vulcan guy?" and McCoy says, "I don't know, but I like him.":lol:That would be the only time that he will ever say that.

Woofer
06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
That's because Zachary Quinto is bringing new "depth" to the character (or that's what they want us to think)...Sadly, I think just the opposite. <_< Leonard Nimoy created one of the most deeply layered characters ever to be on T.V. All that I saw was the dissolution of all of that.:arg:

One way of looking at it, though, which is kind of interesting:One of the unexpected side effects of the early demise of Kirk's father, apparently, was that Spock's father stopped being a total jerk much earlier in life. Did this Sarek object at all to Spock going into Starfleet? No clear reason why that should be so, but that's chaos theory for you. One little thing leads to another, and another...

...I got a sense that this Bones will also turn to be old a crotchety one day.Best line in the movie; Kirk asks something like "Who is that Vulcan guy?" and McCoy says, "I don't know, but I like him.":lol:That would be the only time that he will ever say that.

Actually, path, reread my comment regarding Quinto's portrayal of Spock. It's 100% sarcasm.

Regarding Sarek I don't think that we're supposed to believe Kirk's father's death caused Sarek's change as much as we are to believe that the entire incident surrounding that death caused changes that reached far beyond the impact of a wife losing a husband or a son losing a father. That incident caused far-reaching changes in the universe - at least in our portion of it.

pathoftheturtle
06-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Uh... I don't see any disagreement here at all, between you and I. We're saying the same things... which is fine, right? :)

Woofer
06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, that's absolutely correct, but I thought (and I was clearly wrong) that you thought that I meant the opposite of what I meant, so I wanted to be sure that you knew what I meant. :couple:

Thought. Meant. Thought. Meant. Thought. Meant. Sorry. I just felt that I had not used those two words sufficiently in this post.

Thought.

Meant.

ETA: THOUGHTMEANT. That is all.

candy
06-12-2009, 01:08 AM
:rofl: love that pot woofer, i dont think it could have been more confusing:P

pathoftheturtle
06-13-2009, 06:54 AM
:rofl: love that pot woofer, i dont think it could have been more confusing:P:P Is that a typo, or are you girls on the chronic? :harrier:

Woofer, I knew that what you meant was that what you thought was the opposite of what the filmmakers wanted. I was clarifying why I agree with you, but also trying to shed a little more light on their reasoning, for candy and Coz.
Chaos theory is the scientific school which holds that minute variations lead to drastic change, which is to say that a relatively minor incident can cause far-reaching changes. I'm not sure if all of it is true, but it is based on reason.
Anyway, my point was that, while we may not know the specific reasons, the exact chain of cause and effect, that led to Sarek having a different personality in the new universe, it does make sense that that would lead directly to his son Spock having a different personality, too.

candy
06-13-2009, 07:18 AM
:blush:whoops - my secrets out i type too fast for my laptop

Woofer
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
:rofl: love that pot woofer, i dont think it could have been more confusing:P:P Is that a typo, or are you girls on the chronic? :harrier:

Woofer, I knew that what you meant was that what you thought was the opposite of what the filmmakers wanted. I was clarifying why I agree with you, but also trying to shed a little more light on their reasoning, for candy and Coz.
Chaos theory is the scientific school which holds that minute variations lead to drastic change, which is to say that a relatively minor incident can cause far-reaching changes. I'm not sure if all of it is true, but it is based on reason.
Anyway, my point was that, while we may not know the specific reasons, the exact chain of cause and effect, that led to Sarek having a different personality in the new universe, it does make sense that that would lead directly to his son Spock having a different personality, too.

Very true. My best friend got her PhD in chaos theory - yes to your interpretation of it.

And yes to everything you said in your spoiler box.

Woofer
06-13-2009, 08:48 AM
:blush:whoops - my secrets out i type too fast for my laptop

I do the same thing. I can't stand slow software.

turtlex
08-11-2009, 09:51 AM
DVD release announced for November 17th, 2009.

The 3 Disc Edition features :

Disc 1:
Commentary—By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.

NASA News— This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured imagery from around the universe.

Disc 2:
To Boldly Go— Taking on the world’s most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
Branching Pods:
The Shatner Conundrum
Red Shirt Guy
The Green Girl
Trekker Alert!

Casting— The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.

A New Vision— J.J. Abrams’ vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production—from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks—was guided by this overall objective.
Branching Pods:
Savage Pressure

Starships—Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film’s starships.
Branching Pods:
Warp Explained
Paint Job
Bridge Construction Accelerated
The Captain’s Chair
Button Acting 101
Shuttle Shuffle
Narada Construction Accelerated

Aliens— Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
Branching Pods:
The Alien Paradox
Big-Eyed Girl
Big Bro Quinto
Klingons
Drakoulias Anatomy 101

Planets— From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create. Abrams’ desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a number of strange and surprising locations.
Branching Pods:
Extra Business
Confidentiality

Props and Costumes— Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today’s technology. Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
Branching Pods:
Klingon Wardrobe

Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek— When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original “Star Trek” series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.

Score— As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage’s celebrated theme.

Gene Roddenberry’s Vision— J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.

Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
Spock Birth
Klingons Take Over Narada
Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
Prison Interrogation and Breakout
Sarek Gets Amanda
Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
Sarek Sees Spock

Starfleet Vessel Simulator—Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360° views and close-ups, review detailed tech information and even launch weapon simulations.

Gag Reel— Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.

Disc 3:
Digital Copy
STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation Network

turtlex comments - Okay, every time I see "Narada" I am reading "Narnia"... makes for a whole different movie. :lol:

Of all this, I'm looking forward to the stuff with Ben Burtt the most. I think he's just amazing and have admired him since his Star Wars days.

turtlex
11-19-2009, 05:56 AM
New Amazon exclusive edition with collectible has been released :

Super cool.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yyZDVUhbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Details on the ship :
The U.S.S. Enterprise Commemorative Replica is modeled directly from the digital effects files used in Star Trek (2009). Hand cast in solid metal, the replica incorporates chrome, textured steel and pewter finishes to create a collectible of unsurpassed detail and elegance. From the delta command badge base to the tip of each nacelle, not a drop of plastic was used in the construction of this substantial piece. Each ship is crafted by the artisans of Quantum Mechanix Inc. (QMx), a boutique collectibles maker. The U.S.S. Enterprise Commemorative Replica was created exclusively for Amazon.com to celebrate the maiden voyage of Starfleet's newest flagship, and is available in a limited edition of only 5,000 ships. Each replica comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, signed by QMx and Industrial Light & Magic's Roger Guyett, Visual Effects Supervisor.

• Model directly from the digital effects files used in Star Trek (2009)
• Made of solid metal with chrome, textured steel and pewter finishes
• 8.5 inches long and weighing over a pound
• Limited Edition of 5,000
• Comes with Certificate of Authenticity

The BluRay is a hundred dollars at amazon.

Nerak
11-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Love me some Zachary Quinto. Just watched it last night (also saw it in the movies) still a great flick! Blown away again!

Will have to watch it again with Hubby this weekend.

Woofer
11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Mr. Woofer finally saw it, so I got to see it again. :nana:

turtlex
11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
No surprise but I ordered the collectors edition with the ship. :blush:

candy
11-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i suppose its pointless asking for pics?:huglove:

edit ;- of you with the ship?

turtlex
11-21-2009, 08:49 AM
candy - When the ship gets here, I'll take pics of that... solo !! :P

:huglove:

LadyHitchhiker
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I got the 2 disc special edition *sighs* I :wub: it so much...

mae
07-09-2016, 09:12 AM
http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/08/romulans-always-get-the-damage-waiver-enterprise-rent-a-car-partners-with-star-trek-beyond/

Here’s a marketing partnership done right: Enterprise Rent-A-Car has released their first commercial featuring their Star Trek partnership, and it’s perfect.

In the ad, employees beam up, offer the Starship Enterprise for rental (and get asked about mileage), practice their Klingon, and “yes” the Vulcans over the phone. One of them even walks into a cloaked ship. Ouch! (“Sheila, you HAVE to turn off the cloaking device”!)

The ad is called “Business Is Going Boldly,” and features the phrase “Until We Can Beam You Up, We’ll Pick You Up.” In additional to commercials, you’ll see signage with the slogan on it on airport shuttles in NYC and Philadelphia, plus various other locations.

We have to give them credit for this one. We’ve seen some terrible ads from Rocket Mortgage, which include an unfortunate shot of a Vulcan handing over his dirty laundry to his wife, and a more creative ad from Hewlett Packard Enterprise, focusing on new technology. But Enterprise Rent-A-Car wins for being the most creative as well as the funniest.

Watch the clip below, and let us know what you think. Pick-up in the Beta Quadrant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfxYtmmpXjY

mae
07-20-2016, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06N42xAKwhU

mae
09-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek so I'm finally going out to see Star Trek Beyond!

Merlin1958
09-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek so I'm finally going out to see Star Trek Beyond!

LOL Where? It's on DVD Tuesday.

mae
09-08-2016, 01:16 AM
It's playing at my local theaters still.

mae
09-08-2016, 03:17 AM
Looks like today is actually the last day it will be in theaters.

Merlin1958
09-08-2016, 04:41 AM
Good for you then. I missed it and have to wait until Tuesday.

mae
09-08-2016, 04:58 AM
I'm not sure why you think it's out on Tuesday. I just checked Amazon and there is no date listed. It would be a very quick turnaround as it came out July 22.

Merlin1958
09-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Oops, you're right. Civil War comes out Tuesday. No date for Beyond as yet.

mae
09-08-2016, 05:25 AM
I would highly recommend seeing it tonight if it's still playing around you.

Merlin1958
09-08-2016, 05:32 AM
It's been gone here for two weeks. I hesitated and blam!!! lol

pathoftheturtle
09-09-2016, 05:12 AM
What did they replace it with? I know it wasn't doing real brisk business nationally, but few movies are this year. Seems like not holding out at least until the anniversary was a waste of free marketing.

Jean
09-09-2016, 05:34 AM
What did they replace it with? I know it wasn't doing real brisk business nationally, but few movies are this year. Seems like not holding out at least until the anniversary was a waste of free marketing.
Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got nothing to say in this thread, but it's the first time I've seen you in years!!!!!!!!!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

pathoftheturtle
09-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got nothing to say in this thread, but it's the first time I've seen you in years!!!!!!!!!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)
Well, you've just been not looking, then. I've posted here semi-occasionally, I'm on Facebook, Twitter...
It's really good to see you doing well. (-:

On Topic
The TV show next year had better be really good. Otherwise, at this point I think ST:B could end up being the very Last Star Trek movie ever made. It was a little better than the last two, but the whole thing is a bit of a downer. Still has basically good heart, though. I'd be glad to see the franchise actually get popular again.

needfulthings
09-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Good for you then. I missed it and have to wait until Tuesday.

It is coming out Tuesday!
JUST NOT THIS TUESDAY....:lol:

mae
04-27-2018, 02:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7d6eyg4MLE

Govea
05-18-2018, 03:48 AM
Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you've just been not looking, then. I've carefully read this honest review of Bluehost (https://www.sfgate.com/market/article/bluehost-review-17336062.php) and posted here semi-occasionally, I'm on Facebook, Twitter...
It's really good to see you doing well. (-:

On Topic
The TV show next year had better be really good. Otherwise, at this point I think ST:B could end up being the very Last Star Trek movie ever made. It was a little better than the last two, but the whole thing is a bit of a downer. Still has basically good heart, though. I'd be glad to see the franchise actually get popular again.

So this is Clarkson's directorial debut when it comes to movies? All I see on her resume are TV shows. Not judging, just asking. Well, I'm a bit concerned but that's about it.