PDA

View Full Version : Talisman 3

Lilja
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
This is from an upcoming interivew with Peter Straub:

Cemetery Dance: Are you going to do a third book with Stephen King?

Peter Straub: We plan to. We were going to start right about now, but King got sidetracked by a Broadway musical that he was writing with John Mellencamp. So that's been taking shape. And I think they were having out-of-town tryouts this autumn. Then we'll see what happens. But at some point we'll get back to it, because we have to. It's like two-thirds of a long, long story, and the other part really should be done.

Lilja

sarajean
05-06-2009, 11:10 PM
thank you so much for posting this!

:rock::thumbsup::cool:

Lilja
05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
My pleasure!

Lilja

ManOfWesternesse
05-06-2009, 11:35 PM
That's great news!

We'll have to get back to speculating/wondering just where they will take that story next now! :lol: - and have a competition to see just how wrong we get it! Will we see a tie-in to Roland's world beyond the end of the 'current' DT cycle in there?

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Oooohhhh, great!! I love that yet unnamed book already. I can feel the wonderful scent of Territories.. *happy sigh*

Hannah
05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Such good news!

dotKay
05-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Great news!!
Now i just have to read The Talisman and Black House! :$

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 07:13 AM
You haven't yet, Fer?? Oh, how I envy you, I do! D'yamba! <3

dotKay
05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm still on my first reading of The Waste Lands, so you can envy me even more :P

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
:scared:

*grabs The Waste Lands off from Fer and runs away*

I'm JEALOUS.

Matt
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM

Peter Straub: We plan to. We were going to start right about now, but King got sidetracked by a Broadway musical that he was writing with John Mellencamp. So that's been taking shape. And I think they were having out-of-town tryouts this autumn. Then we'll see what happens. But at some point we'll get back to it, because we have to. It's like two-thirds of a long, long story, and the other part really should be done.Lilja

:drool:

Thanks for posting this Lilja, I know a lot of people out here are dying for information on that third book. Me included.

flaggwalkstheline
05-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I hope we get the middle part of patrick danville's story in here somewhere

gillie
05-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Can't wait! seems like forever.

Justin Case
05-07-2009, 08:15 AM
This is great news.. I loved Black House even more than the Talisman!:huglove:

jayson
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Excellent news indeed. I know I'm more interested in a third installment of the Jack Sawyer stories than I am a collaborative effort between King and John Mellencamp.

sarajean
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Excellent news indeed. I know I'm more interested in a third installment of the Jack Sawyer stories than I am a collaborative effort between King and John Mellencamp.

:couple:

Erin
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks Lilja!

Awesome! :cool:

Aaron
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
This is awesome! I have thought ever since I finished Black House that Jack Sawyer is the perfect hero to save Roland from the loop.

We know that Jack can't return to "our" world or he will die, but I would think that he should be able to travel to Roland's world again with no ill effect. This could be very cool.

Bev Vincent
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
By the way, Peter will be reprising his role as Pete Braust, retired Detective from the Llanview Police Department, on One Life to Live, ABC, Thursday, May 14th and Monday, May 18th, 2-3 pm EDT

Check local listings for channel and accurate time.

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
This is awesome! I have thought ever since I finished Black House that Jack Sawyer is the perfect hero to save Roland from the loop.

We know that Jack can't return to "our" world or he will die, but I would think that he should be able to travel to Roland's world again with no ill effect. This could be very cool.

Oh. This struck me speechless. And a new hope is awakening inside me. Never thought of it in that way - yes, could be really, really cool. Please, Gan, please.

SigTauGimp
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome, awesome news...I was just talking to some friends the other day about how much I'd like to see a continuation of this story. :excited:

Darkthoughts
05-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Peter Straub: We plan to. We were going to start right about now, but King got sidetracked by a Broadway musical that he was writing with John Mellencamp. So that's been taking shape. And I think they were having out-of-town tryouts this autumn. Then we'll see what happens. But at some point we'll get back to it, because we have to. It's like two-thirds of a long, long story, and the other part really should be done.

Lilja

Oh. my. word. !!!

Yes they do have to...very, very much.

Wow. This a real light at the end of the tunnel :rock:

Brice
05-12-2009, 03:06 AM
When they announce a date for this I'll be marking my calendar so I can stay home sick to read all day.

Lily-sai
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Ditto, Brice! :evil:

Jon
05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the news1

I love the Talisman and Black House, I just wouldn't want to paint the whole house by myself.

pixiedark76
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
You what I would like to see in Talisman 3? That Jake would come back to life only Jack Sawyer's age. Then Jake and Jack would meet, only to be jealous of one another and fight each other to get Roland's attention. Who do think would win in a fight: Jake or Jack?

Matt
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Jake, hands down.

He's a Gunslinger.

mia/susannah
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Great news, thanks, I also love Talisman and Black House

Brainslinger
05-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I hope we see more of the territories this time. I recently finished The Talisman, and although there is a lot more Territories stuff in it compared to Black House, I was struck by how most of the book is very much America side. There's a lot about the Territories we still don't know.

Would be nice if they nailed down the rules of flipping too, that was a bit over the place. (That's not a biggee though, the story is more important. It's something I'd rather like to know though. Particularly where Twinners are concerned.) And the actual relationship to Roland's world too. Is it the same world? One close by? Etc. I think the latter.

pixiedark76
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I would vote Jake also. I believe he would make Jack :cry:

obscurejude
05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Its an absurd proposition, but I bet Jack. Its about the size of the fight in the dog.

pathoftheturtle
05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
You what I would like to see in Talisman 3? That Jake would come back to life only Jack Sawyer's age. Then Jake and Jack would meet, only to be jealous of one another and fight each other to get Roland's attention. Who do think would win in a fight: Jake or Jack?I think that, even at his current age, Jake is too mature for this.

mmagunslinger
06-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Blackhouse where have I been??????? is that a second part to the talisman dangit and barnes and nobles is closed

Brice
06-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, it is the second part to The Talisman. :)

Darkthoughts
06-10-2009, 04:55 AM
And it is so fantastic, that I suggest you camp outside so you can be first in when the doors open! :D

alinda
06-10-2009, 06:44 AM
I eagerly await this book, wish I had it right here, right now...:wtf:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Latest on the third Talisman book fro the Mod at SKMB...

"Steve told me this morning (yes, I was nagging him) that he and Peter are looking at starting this in two years as that's about how long it will take each of them to clear their schedules of the projects they are working on now."

Looks like we still have a long time to wait for this.

Darkthoughts
09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Bugger :(

SigTauGimp
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
My thoughts exactly. =/

Brice
09-03-2009, 04:38 AM
I want it NOW. If they started this morning, published it, and hopped on a plane to hand deliver it to me by lunchtime it still wouldn't be soon enough. If they could go back in time and give it to me before Carrie was released (also before I was born) I'd just look at them and tell them it's about damned time. <_<

jhanic
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I just hope I'm still around when they finally publish it. I'm not getting any younger here!

John

Brice
09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Oh, like you're gonna' wait for them to publish it. :nope: You know you'll have it at least a couple months early.

jhanic
09-04-2009, 04:41 AM
True!! :drool:

John

Hannah
09-11-2009, 01:51 PM
:lol: Makes me a little jealous.

Ruthful
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
This is great news.

I love both The Talisman and Black House-probably two of my favorite Stephen King novels-and I'm looking forward to the third installment in this series.

I haven't bought a Stephen King book since the final, eponymous volume of The Dark Tower, but I would definitely be willing to shell out some cash for this.

Myste
10-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Yeah!! I'm eagerly waiting this one too!! Talisman series rock! :panic:

mae
03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
In a bit of non-news: http://www.stephenking.com/community/showthread.php/23045-Has-anyone-heard-any-definitive-news-about-a-sequel-to-Black-House?p=563217#post563217

So is this project still at a stand-still or does SK/Straub have plans to start it up anytime soon? I want to re-read Talisman and Black House but I'd rather wait till the third one comes out so they're fresher in my mind if you know what I mean...They haven't made any plans for a collaboration anytime soon that I'm aware of.

Thorin Oakenshield
03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
In a bit of non-news: http://www.stephenking.com/community/showthread.php/23045-Has-anyone-heard-any-definitive-news-about-a-sequel-to-Black-House?p=563217#post563217

So is this project still at a stand-still or does SK/Straub have plans to start it up anytime soon? I want to re-read Talisman and Black House but I'd rather wait till the third one comes out so they're fresher in my mind if you know what I mean...They haven't made any plans for a collaboration anytime soon that I'm aware of.

Bummer. Still gives me more time to read Black House since I have yet to read it.

pathoftheturtle
03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah, please keep bumping this thread in case I ever have not enough reasons to feel depressed.

jhanic
03-01-2013, 05:47 PM
My gut feeling is that this book will never happen. Just a gut feel.

John

Merlin1958
03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, please keep bumping this thread in case I ever have not enough reasons to feel depressed.

:wtf:

pathoftheturtle
03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
My gut feeling is that this book will never happen. Just a gut feel.

JohnThanks for cheering us up.

jhanic
03-01-2013, 07:10 PM
You're welcome.

John

mae
03-02-2013, 03:21 AM

:wtf:

Did not mean to upset anyone, would just prefer to keep all discussion and news (or non-news, in this case) to one thread. And this rumor has been going strong since 2001, so it's not something out of the ordinary. The gap between the first and the second books was 17 years. So maybe we'll see Talisman 3 in 2018? Were there any rumors of a sequel between 1984 and 2001, or did Black House come out of the blue pretty much?

Jean
03-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Yeah, please keep bumping this thread in case I ever have not enough reasons to feel depressed.Every time I see the title of this thread, I get annoyed for a quite different reason: it assumes that BH is "Talisman 2", which it is not.

pathoftheturtle
03-02-2013, 10:41 AM
The Talisman will always go with Jack Sawyer, sorry. And I'm not annoyed, myself. I'm too bitter to bother.

CyberGhostface
11-13-2014, 04:46 PM
From Lilja, didn't see any other threads about it.

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4348

I'm excited. Black House is one of my favorites. I am a little worried that it will fall under the rule of trilogies (the first one is what it is, the second one is better, the third one sucks) but my optimism is high.

Dan
11-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Sweet! Although the thought of more special editions of the first two books doesn't sound so appealing.

webstar1000
11-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Loved both books... The Talisman was my fav King book of all time for a long time...

CyberGhostface
11-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Sweet! Although the thought of more special editions of the first two books doesn't sound so appealing.

That's what I'm a little nervous about. I recently bought the gift set for 'Talisman/Black House' from Grant and I'm not looking forward to double-dipping.

That being said... Grant is still trying to get rid of said gift set over a decade later to the point where they're dropping off $65 if you purchase the AE for DT7 with it, so I don't know how quick they would be to do more.

Bev Vincent
11-13-2014, 05:52 PM
You might want to check out this thread: http://stephenking.com/xf/index.php?threads/sawyer-iii.4791/#post-268583

CyberGhostface
11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Per Lilja

"After reading this, I emailed Peter, who confirmed that the plan is to write the book next year. So, very good news for all fans of The Talisman and Black House!"

:confused:

Merlin1958
11-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Per Lilja

"After reading this, I emailed Peter, who confirmed that the plan is to write the book next year. So, very good news for all fans of The Talisman and Black House!"

:confused:

Encouraging news indeed!!!

Merlin1958
11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Face it guys, most of us are gonna buy them new editions anyway. You know you will.

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Face it guys, most of us are gonna buy them new editions anyway. You know you will.

Your right Bill... there sure will. lol

Bev Vincent
11-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Ms Mod's statement on the rumor

I haven't been in touch with Peter so I don't know what he and Steve discussed but I did have a conversation on Wednesday morning with Steve and when I mentioned that the picture with him and Peter from the NYC signing was going to spark speculation about the third book, he just chuckled and said that would be nice but his plan for 2015 is to write the third book for the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I might also remind people that I think it was at least 3 or possibly 4 years ago that Stephen had said that he and Peter were "planning" to write the third Talisman within the next 2 years. Even though that was the intent, it obviously didn't happen. That's another reason why I have a problem with things like this being announced in unofficial channels. It gets fans hyped up about something that may or may not turn out to happen. Even when it comes from official sources that are at least a little more reliable, it doesn't always pan out. Talisman and Dark Tower movies--need I say more? Bottom line (and this is from Steve) is this, fan sites should be considered rumors about any of his work until any OFFICIAL announcements are made on his site.

mae
11-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Strange that, according to Lilja, Straub confirmed it, yet King is denying it. Weird.

The Great Buchinsky
11-14-2014, 10:58 AM
This is kind of an odd situation. King talked about it in Washington DC the other day and Straub confirmed the intentions to write next year. I think Lilja is getting hammered a bit too hard over this. If his two sources are King and Staub what additional fact checking does he need to do??

mae
11-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Do we have a recording of what King said in DC?

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
If King said he is going to... then what is the issue here guys?

Lookwhoitis
11-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Do we have a recording of what King said in DC?

It was being videotaped. I haven't looked for it online yet. I wonder if GWU will have it online someday?

I heard King talk about it in person so that's good enough for me. All the books he talked about writing, he didnt give a schedule. He didnt say when, He just said he had an itch to write another story about those characters. Dark Tower: Jericho Hill, The Stand, and The Talisman.

And we all know Sai King is pretty good about doing whatever the heck he feels like.

Whether or not Miss Mod thinks it is true, I could give a rat's ass. I saw the man himself express he wants to revisit those worlds onstage. And that is Golden dreams and Big fuckin Mojo to me!

Ricky
11-14-2014, 12:12 PM
I agree. On Wednesday, he said he hopes to write it "next year" with Straub. How is that a rumor, speculation, etc. when he said it himself to nearly 1500 people?

mae
11-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Hopefully there's a recording soon. But then again, Ms. Mod is right, there have been many statements from both King and Straub over the years that they're planing on doing it and it never panned out. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, Black House came out 17 years after The Talisman. So we're right on track for a 2018 publication :)

CyberGhostface
11-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Lilja clarified:

In regards to my post from yesterday about that King and Straub hope to write The Talisman 3 next year I want to make it extra clear that it’s their PLAN to do it but it’s NOT set in stone yet and as everyone who has ever made plans to do something know…it’s not always the plan work as you had hoped. Before they can start they will have to coordinate their schedules and so far nothing has been written. So let’s hope they can work their schedule out and once they do I bet it will be info about it on both authors website.

herbertwest
11-14-2014, 02:18 PM
This is kind of an odd situation. King talked about it in Washington DC the other day and Straub confirmed the intentions to write next year. I think Lilja is getting hammered a bit too hard over this. If his two sources are King and Staub what additional fact checking does he need to do??

I totally agree. I think that, on the forum, people are definitely being too harsh on Lilja. If Steve has said he HOPE to do so, and that Peter confirmed it, what the hell is wrong about it? Yes it's only a rumor and it's only a HOPE TO DO IT.... but Lilja do not claim that's it's nore more than this.

Ari_Racing
11-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Lilja did one perfect move: contacted Straub, who confirmed this. If King's office said otherwise, then it's not his fault. He contacted one of the authors of the book...good source.

mae
12-03-2014, 08:43 AM
King confirms his hope to write T3 next year here (around 1 hour 10 minute mark): https://soundcloud.com/slateradio/stephen-king-live-at-politics-prose

stephenkingcast
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm currently re-reading The Talisman for an upcoming review, and it has gotten me so excited for The Talisman 3. I hope it's the story of Jack's child. I think it would be a perfect ending, coming full circle. www.stephenkingcast.podbean.com

herbertwest
12-09-2014, 01:26 AM
KA is a wheel ;)

stephenkingcast
12-10-2014, 04:50 AM
Yes it is!

mae
03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks to Lilja's site, here's Straub talking about T3 last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgRbCJe9RZI

Maybe an announcement in Brooklyn?

Deckard2112
05-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Info like this is why I come here. Delighted to hear about this

taggs7475
05-19-2015, 04:00 AM
Hope this happens I am reading The Talisman now and its glorious

Girlystevedave
05-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Hope this happens I am reading The Talisman now and its glorious

It is! It is glorious!

webstar1000
05-20-2015, 10:08 AM
yep... one of my favs for sure!

TCCBodhi
05-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Strangely, that is what I'm reading again. It has been 5 or 6 years at least, if not longer; could even be as long when Black House came out since I gave it a read. It's been too long.

Girlystevedave
05-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I keep waiting for the right time to revisit The Talisman. That book will always hold a big piece of my heart. :)

wordslingers
06-22-2015, 07:30 AM
I'm really hoping this pans out, there's something magical about The Talisman and Black House that I'd love more of.

webstar1000
06-22-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm really hoping this pans out, there's something magical about The Talisman and Black House that I'd love more of.

AGREED!

Bev Vincent
02-16-2016, 08:04 AM
What's coming next from Peter Straub?
There may be a third collaboration with Stephen King. We have the germ of a story firmly in place. All we need is time during which we're both free.

>> Source (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-rubinstein/interior-darkness-a-conve_b_9242276.html)

mae
02-16-2016, 08:07 AM
I like the "firmly" but not the "germ". Didn't they have that germ ten years ago? Still, I'm hopeful my prediction for 2018 holds (17 years between each book).

Bev Vincent
02-16-2016, 08:23 AM
The first time they talked about the "germ" in an optimistic way was at the Brooklyn event last year.

mtdman
02-16-2016, 10:53 PM
The Talisman is the book that got me started reading King. I would love to see more adventures of Jack Sawyer.

wolfehr
02-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm currently reading Black House and Jack Sawyer is just as amazing as I remember. Perfect timing for some good news about the finale :)

Bunyip
02-20-2016, 01:33 AM
Agreed. I am stoked about this coming to fruition....( fingers crossed and hope)

Brian861
02-20-2016, 09:44 PM
I have yet to read either book so I'm hoping the trilogy will be completed so I can read them all back to back to back.

Bev Vincent
02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Q. So is there any truth to the rumors that a third “Talisman” book is forthcoming? (http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article62398367.html)

I certainly hope so. It’s totally dependent on the patience of my saintly collaborator, Steve King. We were supposed to start it three or four years ago, but I had medical problems that stopped me in my tracks. Then I had problems with a book I was doing … so we’re no closer to being able to start it. But part of the reason he’s so patient is we have a great idea for the book. I won’t tell you what it is, but there was a famous story that happened in the world when we were young. He kept a scrapbook about it and so did I, him in Maine and me in Milwaukee. It has a lot of juice in it, and he and I both feel that way about it, so we are eager to do this book. I think he’ll cut me a break and let me go a year or two and then we’ll start working on it.

webstar1000
02-25-2016, 07:48 AM
Wow... so this is a LONG WAY off:( I was hoping they were knee deep already. I will wait though!! LOVED Talisman and Black House!

wolfehr
02-25-2016, 08:28 AM
I can be patient for another more Jack Sawyer story. Well, I can at least try...

Ari_Racing
02-25-2016, 09:08 AM
They mentioned the idea time ago. It was about the Starkweather Murders.

mattgreenbean
02-25-2016, 11:57 AM

I just watched The Frighteners after several years, I'd like to see what King/Straub would come up with and where Starkweather's place is in The Territories.

Merlin1958
02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm currently reading Black House and Jack Sawyer is just as amazing as I remember. Perfect timing for some good news about the finale :)

"Black House" is one of my top favorites by King!!!

Always kind of assumed that T3 would be an even more TDT related book. FWIW

wolfehr
02-26-2016, 12:39 PM
I still have about 200 pages to go and can already tell it's going to be one of my King favorites. So far I think I like The Talisman a bit more, but to be fair, that's one of my favorite books of all time by any author.

I hope you're right about T3 being even more TDT related... can never get enough TDT :)

Merlin1958
02-26-2016, 12:46 PM
I still have about 200 pages to go and can already tell it's going to be one of my King favorites. So far I think I like The Talisman a bit more, but to be fair, that's one of my favorite books of all time by any author.

I hope you're right about T3 being even more TDT related... can never get enough TDT :)

Oops, hope I didn't spoil anything. My bad. I assumed it was a re-read. My apologies.

wolfehr
02-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Nope, nothing spoiled! You did get me more excited to get off from work though :)

Merlin1958
02-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Nope, nothing spoiled! You did get me more excited to get off from work though :)

Good deal!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2016, 11:57 PM
From Lilja's Library:
The Talisman 3 At Least 2 Years AwayPosted: February 27, 2016, 00:44:58

In an interview with Miami Herald Peter Straub talks about the third book in The Talisman series and it looks like we won't see it in atleas a couple of years...

Q. So is there any truth to the rumors that a third “Talisman” book is forthcoming?

I certainly hope so. It’s totally dependent on the patience of my saintly collaborator, Steve King. We were supposed to start it three or four years ago, but I had medical problems that stopped me in my tracks. Then I had problems with a book I was doing … so we’re no closer to being able to start it. But part of the reason he’s so patient is we have a great idea for the book. I won’t tell you what it is, but there was a famous story that happened in the world when we were young. He kept a scrapbook about it and so did I, him in Maine and me in Milwaukee. It has a lot of juice in it, and he and I both feel that way about it, so we are eager to do this book. I think he’ll cut me a break and let me go a year or two and then we’ll start working on it.

Merlin1958
03-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Very interesting.

Br!an
03-02-2016, 04:43 AM
From Lilja's Library:
The Talisman 3 At Least 2 Years AwayPosted: February 27, 2016, 00:44:58

In an interview with Miami Herald Peter Straub talks about the third book in The Talisman series and it looks like we won't see it in atleas a couple of years...

Q. So is there any truth to the rumors that a third “Talisman” book is forthcoming?

Bev posted that on the previous page...
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread-Talisman-3#post983998 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8151-Talisman-3&p=983998&viewfull=1#post983998)

And Ari stated the idea...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread-Talisman-3#post984023 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8151-Talisman-3&p=984023&viewfull=1#post984023)

mae
06-14-2016, 09:50 AM
A couple of relevant quotes from the End of Watch book tour thread over at the Corner:

The book store owner said King wanted to come to IOWA as part of his farewell, last hurrah tour. I never heard that any where else.

Talked about Sleeping Beauties, said that the Talisman was due for a third book. Said he is done with a first draft of a book that is scaring him to death. Would not answer my question about a dark tower book!

What did he say about in response to the DT book Glenn?

Glenn asked if there would be another Dark Tower or Talisman book. King answered there had to be a third Talisman book (something he has said for years)....but he did not address the Dark Tower part of the question.

Nothing new, but that's been the case with this book since 2001.

herbertwest
06-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Nor denying nor confirming?
It sounds just like Bev.

Just saying ;)

Bev Vincent
09-24-2016, 07:57 AM
At the Library of Congress event today, King said that with any luck he and Peter will start writing the next book in February.

Dan
09-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Sweet! I started watching, but had to step into a meeting before he came on. Any other good info?

mae
09-24-2016, 08:04 AM
At the Library of Congress event today, King said that with any luck he and Peter will start writing the next book in February.

:excited:

Is there video of the event yet?

mae
09-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Still, I'm hopeful my prediction for 2018 holds (17 years between each book).

Bev, what's your professional opinion? If they indeed start in February, could the book come out in fall of 2018 to keep to the 17-year cycle between the novels?

Bev Vincent
09-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Still, I'm hopeful my prediction for 2018 holds (17 years between each book).

Bev, what's your professional opinion? If they indeed start in February, could the book come out in fall of 2018 to keep to the 17-year cycle between the novels?

Fall 2018 would definitely be a possibility. I'm not sure if King & Straub are looking at the gap in years at all -- it's just whenever they can both get gaps in their schedules at the same time to work on it.

mae
09-24-2016, 10:04 AM
If they're not aware of "The Talisman Cycle", maybe you can drop some knowledge on them, if you can, to motive the two? :)

Br!an
09-25-2016, 07:31 AM

:excited:

Is there video of the event yet?

King starts speaking at 21:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fsgig1OXM4&feature=youtu.be&t=1284

mae
01-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Kind of a non-update in a recent interview:

http://ew.com/books/2017/12/22/stephen-king-pennywise-it-entertainers-of-the-year/

A while back you told me you and Peter Straub were considering another return to The Talisman territories. Is that still a possibility?

Yeah, we’ve kicked it around a little bit. I’ve just got to get clear on some of these other things. Really, I don’t want to collaborate at all for a little while. I want to, you know, run my own railroads.

mae
03-26-2019, 08:27 AM
I wonder if with The Talisman movie announced now the third book could get actually written soon?

Hunchback Jack
03-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Probably not soon. Peter Straub has been struggling with health issues, and is still working on his current novel. From the quote you posted above, it sounds like King wants to work on his own for a bit after the recent collaborations he's done.

Of course, I have no "insider information" on either authors intentions, so they may surprise us.

HBJ

MikeDuke
03-26-2019, 08:43 AM
If this were true, and a movie was really being done that would be awesome. I am guessing it would be more than one movie though, and we still have to wait for the third book. But I looked up some stuff and there is recent news, as recent as this month that they are moving forward with a movie. That would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

webstar1000
03-26-2019, 08:44 AM
If this were true, and a movie was really being done that would be awesome. I am guessing it would be more than one movie though, and we still have to wait for the third book. But I looked up some stuff and there is recent news, as recent as this month that they are moving forward with a movie. That would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

A movie IS 100% true Mike.... whether King will do a 3rd book remains to be seen.

mae
03-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Yes, the movie is happening: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21251-The-Talisman-adaptation-with-Speilberg-still-a-reality

And that quote from King about collaborations was from over a year ago, so things could have changed.

MikeDuke
03-26-2019, 09:01 AM

A movie IS 100% true Mike.... whether King will do a 3rd book remains to be seen.
Very excited for this. I haven't read it in a very long time but it's one of my favorite books. This is only going to be The Talisman right? Not The Talisman and Blackhouse in one movie. Man I am stoked for this.

herbertwest
03-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Yes, the movie is happening: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21251-The-Talisman-adaptation-with-Speilberg-still-a-reality

And that quote from King about collaborations was from over a year ago, so things could have changed.

I also believe that a movie is happening. But it wouldnt be the first time that the movie is REALLY announced, and then. Nothing. Remember 2004?

But obviously IT being a massive success, King is hot now

Merlin1958
03-26-2019, 04:10 PM

Well, yeah the rumor may be confirmed and true, but we've been there before, no?I sure hope they/them/those folks follow through and we eventually do get a valid and well done movie in the near future. I love those books!!!! Maybe it's a little strange, but I actually like "Black House" a little more than "Talisman". However, both books (counted as "one") are in my top 5 of all time King books. I'll be foaming at the mouth for the release of the film version of "Talisman"!!!!!

FWIW, I don't think this news and effort will affect the writing status of "T-3" one way or the other. In fact, everyday they are not sitting down to write it significantly drops the odds that they eventually will write it in the end. Just my humble opinion is all.

Cuppa
01-08-2021, 06:30 AM
My favourite King story is Talisman and hope a movie doing it justice is coming plus a 3rd book would be great.

Any more recent news on this?

Ari_Racing
01-08-2021, 06:32 AM
No. Peter Straub has some health issues so I don't think we'll have news on this soon.

Bev Vincent
01-08-2021, 06:55 AM
Also, until Peter finishes the novel he's been working on for several years, I can't see him switching gears for another project.

mae
09-22-2021, 05:19 PM
So sounds like King and Straub have given up on T3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGoCe6PuqU

Randall Flagg
09-22-2021, 05:43 PM
I hate video links to a 90 minute piece that refers in a minute or two to a specific project. At least post the time marks for what is relevant here.

mae
09-22-2021, 06:41 PM
Sorry about that, Peter talks about King and writing with him around 30 minutes in.

herbertwest
09-22-2021, 11:19 PM
Peter Straub do not think he'll have the energy to keep up with King anymore
And I believe they gave up awhile ago on that idea, eg Peter's health issues, and that King used the idea they wanted to use about the source of evil and the Charles Starkweather case, as an implicit basis for "The Outsider"

Iwritecode
09-23-2021, 04:46 AM
I can't say I'm totally disappointed. I read the first book, then when the second one came out I had no memory of the first, so I had to re-read it again. Then I read the second one a couple of times. I think I actually liked it better. But I'm good with the story ending where it did.

St. Troy
09-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Did King or Straub ever say it was specifically envisioned as a trilogy?

mae
09-25-2021, 11:39 AM
They’ve mentioned wanting to work on a third novel ever since Black House was published, so for twenty years now.

Roseannebarr
09-25-2021, 11:21 PM
Sorry about that, Peter talks about King and writing with him around 30 minutes in.

36.41min the talisman sequel squelched. maybe?

Roseannebarr
09-26-2021, 08:15 PM
So sounds like King and Straub have given up on T3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGoCe6PuqU

Thank you for posting!

Hunchback Jack
09-30-2021, 08:47 PM
I wonder if King will ever return to the Dark Tower. His interests seemed to have led his writing elsewhere.

CyberGhostface
10-01-2021, 07:33 AM
I wonder if King will ever return to the Dark Tower. His interests seemed to have led his writing elsewhere.

I don't think we'll ever have anything beyond one-off books like 'Wind Through the Keyhole' if that.

'Gwendy's Final Task' seems to be DT-related based on the cover but who knows.

https://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendys-final-task.html

webstar1000
10-02-2021, 02:52 PM

He told me he was!

The Great Buchinsky
10-02-2021, 05:02 PM

He told me he was!

Can you expand on this?

The Great Buchinsky
07-24-2023, 11:37 AM
Anyone see this rumor today? Haven’t seen any other sources.
https://twitter.com/clubstephenking/status/1683507334742458368?s=46&t=-7hXQNNLYMDdWtkdOXJupg

herbertwest
07-25-2023, 06:43 AM
Ari originally posted the rumor on his website, but no source other than "a constant reader", whose husband met King carrying "Black House" and he said that he was re-reading it as he's writing the sequel

St. Troy
07-25-2023, 07:20 AM
Intriguing. When did the meeting happen?

Randall Flagg
07-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Noon.

Not to be flippant, but this is all rumor and innuendo.
King very well may have written a follow up novel, but certainly it would contain little or no contribution from Straub.

mae
07-26-2023, 04:49 AM
It’s really sad we never got a third book from the both of them, but I would still enjoy a solo King book, maybe even with a new co-author? This always felt more King than Straub to me anyway, especially with all the DT stuff.

St. Troy
07-27-2023, 09:43 AM
Noon.

Not to be flippant, but this is all rumor and innuendo.

Of course; I was inquiring so as to at least see how old (last week, last month, last year etc.) this particular rumor was.

King very well may have written a follow up novel, but certainly it would contain little or no contribution from Straub.

Naturally.

St. Troy
07-27-2023, 09:48 AM
It’s really sad we never got a third book from the both of them, but I would still enjoy a solo King book, maybe even with a new co-author? This always felt more King than Straub to me anyway, especially with all the DT stuff.

I'm sure King could handle writing #3 by himself; that he pulled it so far in the DT direction certainly makes this plausible.

A new co-author would feel wrong to me (especially if it was Chizmar; imagine if Talisman 3 = Gwendy 4).

The Great Buchinsky
07-27-2023, 10:32 AM

I'm sure King could handle writing #3 by himself; that he pulled it so far in the DT direction certainly makes this plausible.

A new co-author would feel wrong to me (especially if it was Chizmar; imagine if Talisman 3 = Gwendy 4).

100% agree on hoping if this is happening it’s not a collaboration.

CyberGhostface
07-27-2023, 11:19 AM

Apparently it was Straub's idea to bring DT into it but I've always wondered how Straub's fans felt about King's universe taking over. Although maybe there's a lot of overlap.

But yeah I think King could do it by himself, maybe with any notes Straub did with him as an outline. Neil Gaiman is doing additional seasons of Good Omens by himself but some of the ideas came from Terry Pratchett before he passed.

mae
07-27-2023, 04:14 PM

Apparently it was Straub's idea to bring DT into it but I've always wondered how Straub's fans felt about King's universe taking over. Although maybe there's a lot of overlap.

But yeah I think King could do it by himself, maybe with any notes Straub did with him as an outline. Neil Gaiman is doing additional seasons of Good Omens by himself but some of the ideas came from Terry Pratchett before he passed.

Yeah, King and Straub had been thinking about T3 literally since Black House came out in 2001. I'm sure they must've had notes, at least.

Randall Flagg
07-27-2023, 05:42 PM
Just a few thoughts:

Talisman Trade was published by Viking
Black House Trade was published by Random House

Both of those publishers have been "absorbed".

The S/L editions of Talisman and Black House were done by Grant Publishing.

At the most recent SDCC, I spoke with Robert Weiner, current owner of Grant Publishing.

Robert is either a great actor, or as he related to me, Grant Books is unaware of a Talisman 3, and in fact also unaware of any King new Dark Tower novel.

Of course King might not use DMG for future limited edition DT or Talisman books -----(If King has written either one).

Bev Vincent
07-28-2023, 02:31 AM

Yeah, King and Straub had been thinking about T3 literally since Black House came out in 2001. I'm sure they must've had notes, at least.

They talked about the idea they had for the third book at an event in Brooklyn in 2015.

mae
07-28-2023, 06:41 AM
Do you know anything else, Bev? :redface:

Ari_Racing
07-28-2023, 12:05 PM
They mentioned years ago that the Starkweather killings would be part of the plot.

Bev Vincent
08-08-2023, 12:39 PM
King talks a little about a third Talisman book in the Talking Dead podcast. He isn't working on it but it's in the "active file." Peter Straub sent him a long letter with a cool idea, but he's not working on it. He said it would be a really long book if he could ever get up the nerve to write it.

mae
08-08-2023, 12:58 PM
King talks a little about a third Talisman book in the Talking Dead podcast. He isn't working on it but it's in the "active file." Peter Straub sent him a long letter with a cool idea, but he's not working on it. He said it would be a really long book if he could ever get up the nerve to write it.

Awesome! Let's hope!

Herbie_Marsten
09-14-2023, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately Peter Straub passed away 9-4-2022. So any Talisman 3 would be done by SK. He may give Peter credit for it or to mark it as T3.

webstar1000
09-14-2023, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately Peter Straub passed away 9-4-2022. So any Talisman 3 would be done by SK. He may give Peter credit for it or to mark it as T3.

Peter gave him some thoughts and outlines before he passed SO 100% his name will be on the book. I believe King is already writing it.

Bev Vincent
09-14-2023, 09:47 AM

Peter gave him some thoughts and outlines before he passed SO 100% his name will be on the book. I believe King is already writing it.

He's not -- he said in a recent interview that he reread The Talisman recently but hasn't yet reread Black House because he doesn't want that book to get in his head while he's working on something else. However, he seems more optimistic that he actually will tackle it at some point. Given that he has one book done and another in progress, I can't imagine us seeing it until 2025 at best, and maybe not until 2026.

webstar1000
09-14-2023, 09:51 AM

He's not -- he said in a recent interview that he reread The Talisman recently but hasn't yet reread Black House because he doesn't want that book to get in his head while he's working on something else. However, he seems more optimistic that he actually will tackle it at some point. Given that he has one book done and another in progress, I can't imagine us seeing it until 2025 at best, and maybe not until 2026.

I agree... I meant 'writing it" to be "working on it" and that can be under any capacity... I do believe we will get it though. You Bev?

Bev Vincent
09-14-2023, 11:11 AM
Inspiration and time willing -- he previously mentioned it was in his "active file," which meant he was thinking about it. The more recent interview seems like he really does intend to do it.

mae
09-14-2023, 12:20 PM
A third book has been in the planning stages between the two of them since 2001. I really hope it happens.

mattgreenbean
09-18-2023, 11:38 AM
How about Emma Straub and Joe Hill pick up the mantle. There's been stranger things.

Randall Flagg
09-18-2023, 02:33 PM
Joe Hill would take 4 years to write the book.

RichardX
09-18-2023, 02:45 PM
Joe Hill would take 4 years to write the book.

And then CD could publish it for our grandchildren to read.

Herbie_Marsten
09-19-2023, 09:31 AM
How about Emma Straub and Joe Hill pick up the mantle. There's been stranger things.

I'd buy that one