PDA

View Full Version : DT Typos, Bloopers and Artwork Mistakes.

Pages : [1] 2

Randall Flagg
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
1. Roland still "fans the trigger". That's not how a gun works. You fan the hammer.
2. The artwork for the gathering in the compound after the attack on the guards which shows the Ka'tet together appears in the book after Eddie is shot. It should be immediately after they gather.
3. Whelan's drawing at the end of the chapter after Ediie is shot shows Eddie with his hand over his LEFT eyebrow. The book says the gunshot entered over Eddie's right eye.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 07:02 PM
1. Roland still "fans the trigger". That's not how a gun works. You fan the hammer.
2. The artwork for the gathering in the compound after the attack on the guards which shows the Ka'tet together appears in the book after Eddie is shot. It should be immediately after they gather.
3. Whelan's drawing at the end of the chapter after Ediie is shot shows Eddie with his hand over his LEFT eyebrow. The book says the gunshot entered over Eddie's right eye.

King has NEVER gotten guns right and seems not to care to try. Look at Drawing of the Three where he talks about the massive recoil of an M-16! :lol: I've shot an AR-15 which there is barely any difference between the two and you can hardly feel a thing.

Nerak
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM

I actually made a comment to Robert about that one. LOL He thinks that maybe the image got reversed.

fernandito
08-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Anybody else come across the omni-present typos while reading the series? :)

I dont remember exactly which books to find these at, but at one point, King goes on to describe how Roland's right hand is practically useless without the first two fingers...and then he talks about Roland's 60% percent reduction...er, make up your mind? :P

And I'm 110% positive that somewhere in the middle of W&G there's a 'Ronald' in there somewhere :lol:

What else you guys got?

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Book I talks about Roland's parents and somewhere a gender switch occurs.

Fanning the trigger.

fernandito
08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
What do you mean gender switch?

Mattrick
08-24-2007, 09:57 AM
King has NEVER gotten guns right and seems not to care to try. Look at Drawing of the Three where he talks about the massive recoil of an M-16! :lol: I've shot an AR-15 which there is barely any difference between the two and you can hardly feel a thing.

You do know that guns are constantly upgraded and a similar model from twenty+ years ago and would probably have a lot more recoil. Recoild also depends on experience with a gun and strength. A gun will move around a lot more for someone who is not apt for firing them. They now have a portable howitzer with zero recoil, computer chips etc.

A guy I worked with shooting an M-16 one weekend (saw video of it) and his face was all bruised from the gun bouncing back and hitting him in the face.

tamez
08-24-2007, 10:00 AM

I actually made a comment to Robert about that one. LOL He thinks that maybe the image got reversed.

it's awesome that you actually said something about that K.
:lol:

Wuducynn
08-24-2007, 10:31 AM
You do know that guns are constantly upgraded and a similar model from twenty+ years ago and would probably have a lot more recoil. Recoild also depends on experience with a gun and strength. A gun will move around a lot more for someone who is not apt for firing them. They now have a portable howitzer with zero recoil, computer chips etc.

A guy I worked with shooting an M-16 one weekend (saw video of it) and his face was all bruised from the gun bouncing back and hitting him in the face.

The M-16 is called a recoilless rifle for a reason. It was designed to have hardly any recoil. It hasn't changed between now and then and certainly not in 1986-1987 when King was writing Drawing of the Three. Also the recoil of any gun does NOT depend on the experience with the gun. How you handle the recoil does. I've shot a lot of guns and several different AR-15s various years apart in manufacture and their recoil doesn't change.
King has never known guns or made any attempt to. Him making some guy firing an M-16 out like he was firing an Thompson gun which from all accounts DOES have a big recoil especially the 45 cal ones, was just another example of it.

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I believe Roland's father starts singing to him, and in the next sentence it talks about SHE is singing to him.

Wuducynn
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Roland's Father and Mother were together in the room and, while Roland watched, suddenly merged into one androgenous being, at different points singing like Gabrielle and another Steven. Its why Roland became the way he did.

Nerak
08-24-2007, 03:35 PM

it's awesome that you actually said something about that K.

it bugged me!! lol

Randall Flagg
08-25-2007, 08:52 AM

I think Ediie is right handed, and the image has him with the gun in his right hand.
I think it is just a screwup on Whelan's part.

Darkthoughts
08-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes, like the screw up the WotC artist made making Susannah white :lol:

Wuducynn
08-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Don't even get me started on the WOTC "artwork" *ralf*

sarah
08-26-2007, 08:33 AM
You know this first softcover of The Wolves of the Calla bothered me big time when it first came out. Why is the gun on his right hip? We all know Roland stopped wearing the gun on his right side in DotT. I feel that if you are lucky enough and talented enough to get to draw/paint the cover of one of the dark tower books you wouldn't have overlooked over something that major. AND how did it even get printed in the first place? How did no one catch it or care to catch the mistake?

http://www.overlookconnection.com/images/WolvesCallaTP.JPG

any other mistakes or annoyances?

MonteGss
08-26-2007, 08:34 AM
We are, of course, assuming that the picture is Roland. I noticed that too but I just played it off that it was of Eddie. :)

Wuducynn
08-26-2007, 08:42 AM
They should have used this cover. http://addons.books.com.tw/G/F01/0/0/3/F010660933.jpg This is the only Wolves cover I've seen that is actually good.

Wuducynn
08-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Overall King's art choice for Wolves was poor. Bernie Wrightson's stuff is just awful.

sarah
08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
We are, of course, assuming that the picture is Roland. I noticed that too but I just played it off that it was of Eddie. :)

You know it looks as if the artist was trying to show you that the fingers were missing on the right hand and so saying that it is roland.

They should have used this cover. http://addons.books.com.tw/G/F01/0/0/3/F010660933.jpg This is the only Wolves cover I've seen that is actually good.

Yes, I too like this cover much better.

Wuducynn
08-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Normally I wouldn't care but this is the Dark Tower series, my favorite books and VERY important to me.

MonteGss
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM

You know it looks as if the artist was trying to show you that the fingers were missing on the right hand and so saying that it is roland.

I totally never noticed that before...it does look like the fingers are missing. Good call!

Daghain
08-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Overall King's art choice for Wolves was poor. Bernie Wrightson's stuff is just awful.

Amen, brother!

Telynn
09-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Like, Jakes hair being the wrong color in The Wastelands?

Wuducynn
09-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Like, Jakes hair being the wrong color in The Wastelands?

Yeah, but the artworks quality itself was very high. The artwork in the Wastelands is up there in the top three of the series for me.

Matt
09-03-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm just really glad they didn't attempt to use some of that stuff for the comics. Its god awful in some instances

Randall Flagg
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
In DTVII there is a picture of Eddie at the end of a chapter.

Major spoiler alert:
The picture shows him clutching his left hand over his left eye. He was shot in his RIGHT eye.

sarah
09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
grrr. that really annoyed me too. how could that be messed up? How could that not have be catched?

Wuducynn
09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Or caught even??

sarah
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
blast you all hail and your grammar catching. :P

Wuducynn
09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
:lol: Good catch!

Letti
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Thank God I am very bad at noticing mistakes. It can be a book or anything else... my mind jumps over them. Sometimes it can be good... and very bad as well.
It's good because such things can't bug me.

Wuducynn
09-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Thank God I am very bad at noticing mistakes. It can be a book or anything else... my mind jumps over them. Sometimes it can be good... and very bad as well.
It's good because such things can't bug me.

Same here. I usually catch them but when I love something as much as the Dark Tower series then I just ignore them. Why let it bother you?

jayson
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I find the illustrations in DT-7 to be amazing, however there is one aspect of one of them which continues to bother me every time I see it. The picture is the one of Roland, Jake and Oy looking out over Algul Siento while still planning their assault. The picture is stunning, with one exception... in the picture, Roland has ten fingers!!! It gets me every time.

Odetta
12-05-2007, 09:50 AM
*runs to look*

Mike Beck
12-05-2007, 09:51 AM
holy shit. i never noticed that. :(

goddamn inconsistency. :P

jayson
12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
It makes me sad because otherwise it's such an amazing illustration.

Matt
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm going to need to go home and look at it. I know people thought Susannah's legs were shown in one but on closer inspection, she had no legs. :lol:

I don't remember this particular one but it could be just a flat mistake.

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Man and I (use to) pride my self as observant! Good catch! :o

fernandito
12-05-2007, 10:07 AM
You have eyes as sharp as Roland's, meng.

jayson
12-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Than perhaps you caught this one... there is an issue I have with two illustrations in The Waste Lands. They are (1) the illustration of Eddie at the far end of the field of roses looking at the Tower, and (2) the illustration of Jake's drawing from Dutch Hill to Mid-World. What bothers me about these drawings is the presence of Jake's Piper uniform in one of them and its absence in the other. The illustration of Eddie is supposed to represent Eddie's vision of the Tower from his dreams. In these dreams it is he who is wearing Jake's uniform. When this dream is illustrated he is in his Eddie clothes. This isn't too big of a deal until the illustration of Jake's drawing. In this illustration, Jake IS wearing the uniform though he was not wearing it the morning he left home hoping to end up back in Mid-World. Small details, but they don't go unnoticed.

Ruthful
12-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Is this the Grant hardcover edition? Because in mine you can only see seven of his fingers-three of them fully, the other four partially.

If he were giving Jake a high-five on both hands-and you could clearly distinguish each finger-that would be one thing, but I don't think you can tell if he has ten complete fingers simply by looking at that illustration.

jayson
12-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Is this the Grant hardcover edition?

I am not sure because I am not at home right now to check which edition it is, but it is the hardcover, so perhaps. I will double-check this evening.

...but I don't think you can tell if he has ten complete fingers simply by looking at that illustration.

I do have that illustration on my laptop [as well as most of the others] and from what I see, you are correct in that you do not see all 10 fingers. However, what you DEFINITELY see in that picture is that he has the index and middle fingers on his right hand [in the picture he is holding a cigarette between them], and, as you know, these two fingers were lobstrosity food long before this scene, so the picture is inaccurate.

fernandito
12-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Than perhaps you caught this one... there is an issue I have with two illustrations in The Waste Lands. They are (1) the illustration of Eddie at the far end of the field of roses looking at the Tower, and (2) the illustration of Jake's drawing from Dutch Hill to Mid-World. What bothers me about these drawings is the presence of Jake's Piper uniform in one of them and its absence in the other. The illustration of Eddie is supposed to represent Eddie's vision of the Tower from his dreams. In these dreams it is he who is wearing Jake's uniform. When this dream is illustrated he is in his Eddie clothes. This isn't too big of a deal until the illustration of Jake's drawing. In this illustration, Jake IS wearing the uniform though he was not wearing it the morning he left home hoping to end up back in Mid-World. Small details, but they don't go unnoticed.

You get an A+ for the day.

[Places star-stamp on R of G's paper]

jayson
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
You get an A+ for the day.

[Places star-stamp on R of G's paper]

I remembered the face of my father.

Ruthful
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Hmm...

Yes, well that would require another wholly implausible explanation.

Hopefully this will be corrected in a future revised version of The Dark Tower where we find out what happened to Dennis and Thomas.

Erin
12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I can't wait to get home now and check my copy of DT 7. I can't believe I missesd something like that! Great catch, R of G!

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Guys, we are talking about this pic, aren't we?
I can't see all of his fingers but my eyes aren't too good...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/Belowtheminthesleepinglightwasthevi.jpg

jayson
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Guys, we are talking about this pic, aren't we?
I can't see all of his fingers but my eyes aren't too good...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/Belowtheminthesleepinglightwasthevi.jpg

Yes, Letti, that's the one. What's important to note is that you should be able to clearly see the cig between the first two fingers on Roland's right hand, fingers that should be long gone by this point. Perhaps had this been later on in the book we could speculate that Patrick drew Roland some new fingers, but this is too early in the story for that.

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Which fingers did he lose?
Shame on me I don't know. Forgive me.

Storyslinger
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
First two of his right hand(index and middle)

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Index and middle?????
In this case this pic really has a damn big mistake... damn...
So it's not Roland but someone who is very similar to him.

Storyslinger
12-05-2007, 11:22 AM
His twinner :cyclops:

Jean
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
doesn't anyone have a bigger picture? Can it be that he is holding the cigarette between the ring finger and the pinkie, and that shadow is the stumps? (not that I really believe that, though)

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I keep the book in my hand and... no... I wish I could say yes.
From this angle we should see what left from his index and middle fingers but we can see just one beautiful healthy finger.

jayson
12-05-2007, 11:27 AM
doesn't anyone have a bigger picture? Can it be that he is holding the cigarette between the ring finger and the pinkie, and that shadow is the stumps? (not that I really believe that, though)

My eyes are pretty good [not quite Roland of Gilead good, but I do have 20-15 vision, so better than normal], and I can say pretty confidently that that picture represents the index and middle fingers. Take a look at the thumb first and follow that up and to the left and you will see that the outside of the palm is complete and joins the thumb in a way that could only make those fingers be the index and middle.

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
R_of_G... you have just opened in front of us such a door... such a door...

Jean
12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I am a visual idiot - I can't recognize things I see before I verbalize them, and even then can never be sure - so I will just trust those who can see. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I must say Jean, in the book it's clear. :(

jayson
12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I am a visual idiot - I can't recognize things I see before I verbalize them, and even then can never be sure - so I will just trust those who can see. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Jean, I think when you have a chance to sit down and take another look at the illustration in it's book form [ie. where you can hold it right up to your face if you need to] it will be a little easier to tell. If not, trust me, I've studied this picture too long and hard. I'm an artist, so I have a bit of an hyper-developed eye for detail. It's a blessing and a curse.

Letti
12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
It's a blessing and a curse.

But now you are here with us and now you are not alone anymore. We all are shocked.

Jean
12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
R_of_G: yes, that's what I meant! I can't tell a hand from a foot going by the way they look, so from now on I'll take your word on anything visual! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

jayson
12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
But now you are here with us and now you are not alone anymore. We all are shocked.

Yes, at least here the things I am a nerd about are things people care about.

Matt
12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure you guys, to me, it looks like he is holding it in the last fingers and there is a stump between thumb and smoke

jayson
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure you guys, to me, it looks like he is holding it in the last fingers and there is a stump between thumb and smoke

I'd never say I was completely positive unless I could see the original full size illustration Whelan submitted, so I will say it is within the realm of possibility that you are correct Matt [see, like Roland I am a bit of a diplomat], but my eyes are typically correct, and from an art-critic point of view, if that area between the cig-holding finger and the thumb was supposed to be Roland's injury, it should be a lot bigger and bloodier than that [given his lack of ability to properly clean and bandage the wound at all times]. Also, you ever try smoking a cigarette from between your ring finger and pinky? Now that's a good party trick!

Matt
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM

I can agree on that but Roland is highly adaptable. Also, I believe the wound itself would be basically healed at this point in the story wouldn't it? I know time is soft but there were at least a bunch of months in between the event and this scene?

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
"Healed" yeah, but not grown fingers back. ;)

Matt
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
That's what I mean, it looks like a stump to me with only the last two fingers holding a the smoke. :D

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Snot to me..I'll have to look again.

Ruthful
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
He simply reached into his growbag and replaced the missing digits while fishing out two loosies.

Problem solved!

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
The more I look at it the more I can see that it could go either way.

Spencer
12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I find the illustrations in DT-7 to be amazing, however there is one aspect of one of them which continues to bother me every time I see it. The picture is the one of Roland, Jake and Oy looking out over Algul Siento while still planning their assault. The picture is stunning, with one exception... in the picture, Roland has ten fingers!!! It gets me every time.

Damn, I'll have to check that out.

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Spencer my man, you need to read through the thread..I believe someone posted the picture on the second page.. ;)

robotechlu
12-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Thats what i see 2 sorta but im not sure http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/Robotechlu/?action=view&current=k.jpg

Ruthful
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I think you all need to be less hypercritical.

I mean, he didn't turn Susannah into an Asian chick, or add an extra human head to one of the taheens.

And even if he did, wouldn't that be his prerogative under artistic license?

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Ruthful. How about I be as critical as I like and you just deal with it?

Matt
12-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Holy shit you guys, I looked in my copy at home and his fingers are totally gone. Its like...prominent in the picture.

:cool:

Ruthful
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
*cue Outer Limits theme*

Letti
12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
He simply reached into his growbag and replaced the missing digits while fishing out two loosies.

Problem solved!

Holy shit you guys, I looked in my copy at home and his fingers are totally gone. Its like...prominent in the picture.

:cool:

Okay.
Now I am absolutely confused.
Do you really see that?
I am holding the books in my hand and altought I am not a doctor (where is a doctor???) for my eyes it's impossible that those two fingers are his pinky and ring.

jayson
12-06-2007, 04:19 AM
So I looked at the crystal clear picture in the book when I got home last night and I am more convinced than ever that I am looking at Roland's first two fingers on his right hand. If that area is supposed to be anything other than the webbing between index finger and thumb than Whelan needs a little more training and I know he doesn't. What I mean is, if it's a normal hand it's perfectly drawn, but if it's supposed to represent Roland's injury the shading and the size are off completely.

Also, and this is just a practical question for those of you who feel this could be the injured Roland... why would he put a smoke between his ring finger and pinkie in his bad hand when he could more easily use his whole left hand to smoke with? I know he's Roland of Gilead and he could do more with the two fingers on the useless hand than I can with all ten, but still, he was nothing if not pragmatic, and it seems to me as if he could make the left the dominant hand for shooting he could make it that way for smoking too.

Matt
12-06-2007, 05:27 AM
:o

The image is so clearly a stump with only the last two remaining there is no question.

Seriously, everyone please have a look. I may need to scan and bring it forward somehow because there are only two fingers plus a thumb on that hand. Why he would smoke in it, I have no idea but there it is. :lol:

Jean
12-06-2007, 05:33 AM
well - as a version - I'm a smoker with 27-year experience, and I'd rather smoke with the help of the hand I always smoke with even if it was injured, than with the other. Smokers have rituals, without which it just doesn't taste as delicious.

jayson
12-06-2007, 05:43 AM
:The image is so clearly a stump with only the last two remaining there is no question.

Seriously, everyone please have a look. I may need to scan and bring it forward somehow because there are only two fingers plus a thumb on that hand.

You seem awfully positive there Matt. I agree that there are only two fingers visible, as from the angle the other two would be hidden. I have studied this picture I'm sure as closely as you have, and while I still cannot say with the certainty that you apparently can, it sure as hell looks like a drawing of a normal hand which connects directly from thumb to index finger. I see no evidence of stump, scarring, et al that would be there if this picture represented injured Roland. Like I said, if that is supposed to represent Roland's injury, Whelan needs a brush-up course on size and perspective because an injury which robbed a hand of its first two fingers would take up a larger portion of his hand and leave a more visible wound, healed or not. We can agree to disagree, but to my eyes that will never be anything other than a miraculously healed Roland.

jayson
12-06-2007, 05:53 AM
well - as a version - I'm a smoker with 27-year experience, and I'd rather smoke with the help of the hand I always smoke with even if it was injured, than with the other. Smokers have rituals, without which it just doesn't taste as delicious.

Yes, but on the other hand [pun intended], if Roland continued smoking with the right hand after the injury, this would have second-hand smoke basically consuming the injury the whole time he wasn't actively taking a drag. Smoke into an open wound, that's not particularly sanitary, and I don't know that they stole enough 'cheflet' to help if he got that thing more infected.:cool: lol

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I looked at it last night and I'm still not convinced, it just seems like Mr. Whelan made a boo-boo and thats okay, he's still my favorite Dark Tower artist by far.

jayson
12-06-2007, 06:29 AM
I looked at it last night and I'm still not convinced, it just seems like Mr. Whelan made a boo-boo and thats okay, he's still my favorite Dark Tower artist by far.

No doubt Whelan is still the best. His representations of Oy [particularly of Oy at Jake's feet helping defend the door below the Dixie Pig] are spectacular. His drawing of Roland carrying Jake to his burial spot chokes me up everytime I see it.

Matt
12-06-2007, 07:23 AM
:The image is so clearly a stump with only the last two remaining there is no question.

Seriously, everyone please have a look. I may need to scan and bring it forward somehow because there are only two fingers plus a thumb on that hand.

You seem awfully positive there Matt. I agree that there are only two fingers visible, as from the angle the other two would be hidden. I have studied this picture I'm sure as closely as you have, and while I still cannot say with the certainty that you apparently can, it sure as hell looks like a drawing of a normal hand which connects directly from thumb to index finger. I see no evidence of stump, scarring, et al that would be there if this picture represented injured Roland. Like I said, if that is supposed to represent Roland's injury, Whelan needs a brush-up course on size and perspective because an injury which robbed a hand of its first two fingers would take up a larger portion of his hand and leave a more visible wound, healed or not. We can agree to disagree, but to my eyes that will never be anything other than a miraculously healed Roland.

Yes, agreeing to disagree is what makes this so cool :couple:

As for me, I can actually see the horrific scar lump where his fingers used to be. Right between the thumb and the first finger you can see (3rd). Smoke between that one and the pinky.

The hand (on close inspection) looks very mangled to me--post healing, but mangled for sure.

And we also must consider Michael Whelan himself. Obviously a professional and I have always had a hard time believing someone that entrenched in the story--on a paid job that is his livelihood, could possibly make that kind of mistake.

However, I would still say it was so if the evidence was not right there in front of me. Only two fingers and a thumb on that hand :grouphug:

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Yeah, Matt, we'll just have to agree to agree that you're wrong... :huglove:

jayson
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Yeah, Matt, we'll just have to agree to agree that you're wrong... :huglove:

I can agree with that.:clap:

Matt
12-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, we'll see when a few more people have a chance to look at it. :lol:

Matthew has an axe to grind and R of D is the one that brought it up, conflict of interest. :cool:

jayson
12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
... R of D is the one that brought it up,

R_of_G, not D, as in R[oland]_of_G[ilead]:rock:

Matt
12-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Dang! I had been so good about not screwing that up. :lol:

Lucky I am not typing R and D witch is something you put on a baby's bottom to prevent rash. My daughter bought a tub and it brought back weird memories. :cyclops:

Sorry about that Ro

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah, we'll see when a few more people have a chance to look at it. :lol:

Matthew has an axe to grind and R of D is the one that brought it up, conflict of interest. :cool:

I've already ground all my axes..nice and sharp too, just like they need to be.

jayson
12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Dang! I had been so good about not screwing that up. :lol:

Lucky I am not typing R and D witch is something you put on a baby's bottom to prevent rash. My daughter bought a tub and it brought back weird memories. :cyclops:

Sorry about that Ro

Get on your knees and cry my pardon!:dance:

Matt
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM

Lets see...that'll happen

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Okay, this is getting kinky..

Matt
12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Too bad I am totally right. :lol:

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/501/drmatt.JPGhttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/peeing_smiley.gif

Matt
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Oh man, that's wrong as hell. :lol:

Now I will have to start a vote.

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
'Cause, you know, a vote proves something beyond a majority opinion :rolleyes:

Letti
12-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I asked my Moon ("Hey, darling would you smoke with your same hand if a big moster cut off three of your fingers - your index and your middle as well - from that hand of yours??") he was a bit surprised first but then he said that Jean had said before - he would use the same hand.
So,
smokers
do you all say that you would use the same hand?
It's very interesting and it's important to understand the picture to.

Anyway...
Jean...
haven't you given up smoking??

Brice
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually, although I use my right hand most often both of my hands have a smoking habit.

jayson
12-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I quit a few months ago, but when I did I smoked with the right except when I drove, then with the left so I could keep it out the window. So if I can, surely Roland of Gilead can:cowboy:

Letti
12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Of course he can the question is if he would or not...

Anyway I am from the club who sees his index and middle fingers. :D

jayson
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Like I said earlier, if he was using his right hand to smoke after he was injured he was getting all kinds of nasty smoke into his wounds, not to mention he was putting his wound right in his face every time he took a drag. For those reasons I think he'd have switched to smoking lefty.:cool:

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Like I said earlier, if he was using his right hand to smoke after he was injured he was getting all kinds of nasty smoke into his wounds, not to mention he was putting his wound right in his face every time he took a drag. For those reasons I think he'd have switched to smoking lefty.:cool:

But, he wouldn't have a free hand to draw his gun if he were smoking with it

jayson
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM

He'll have to determine his priorities.:shoot:

Matt
12-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Tobacco is actually quite good for open wounds. :lol:

Not sure about the smoke, but there you go.

This is obviously a moot point because the pic shows only two fingers with a thumb so he's doing it right there. :thumbsup:

Letti
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Brice
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Tobacco is actually quite good for open wounds. :lol:

Yes, didn't he sprinkle tobacco on the wound before he ever got the Keflex?

I'm also not sure about the smoke. I don't think it would do any significant harm to any open wound though

Jean
12-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Anyway...
Jean...
haven't you given up smoking??
Yes. I haven't smoked for one year (come January), and had smoked for 27 years before that. But even my not smoking now (for the reasons you know) does certainly not make me a non-smoker. I am still a confirmed smoker, who has to abstain.

And yes, tobacco is good for wounds! Tobacco is good for everything! (some argumentation is given in this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1242), and if we go on developing this particular question, it's where we'll have to move).

For me personally, the most sound argument so far was the one coming from R_of_G as an artist - namely, that if it's the index and the middle finger, the picture is perfect, while if it's those other two fingers, it is not. I can't form my own opinion here, but I like the logic and I trust an artist's eye much more than my own.

Matt
12-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Wow, I'm a little amazed by it all. It just seems so very clear to me. :lol:

I figured when people saw the full sized pic the question would be answered, that hand is totally mangled.

jayson
12-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I figured when people saw the full sized pic the question would be answered, that hand is totally mangled.

On the contrary. The more I look at the full-sized version, the more I'm convinced I am looking at the first two fingers. Maybe we should email Mr. Whelan and ask him. "Dear Mr. Whelan, did you screw up a pic of Roland's right hand?":panic:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Maybe we should email Mr. Whelan and ask him. "Dear Mr. Whelan, did you screw up a pic of Roland's right hand?":panic:

That sounds like the plan. I'm right on it.

Matt
12-07-2007, 07:26 AM

I actually considered doing that very thing. Strange how we can both see two totally different things.

For instance, there are only two fingers there if you look close. There should be 4 if they are all there. No hint of the other two whatsoever

jayson
12-07-2007, 07:38 AM
I actually considered doing that very thing.

I'm not at all above doing it. On a guitar forum I belong to I had gotten into a deate with another member about what model guitar a specific musician was using with one of his projects. The other guy was going by his best estimate from pics he had seen, I was going from stuff I'd read in interviews with the guitarist and having seen him play the guitar in question from about 2.5 feet away. Long story short, I wrote to the musician's agent and asked him to pass along the question. I got a response from the artist an hour later [I was correct btw]. We should try to contact Whelan, but we have to find a way to phrase the question without tipping the scales one way or another.

For instance, there are only two fingers there if you look close. There should be 4 if they are all there. No hint of the other two whatsoever
[/QUOTE]

From the angle, it is perfectly reasonable that the other two fingers would be hidden from view if the first two are present. There are also two ways of looking at what is visible between his fingers closer to the palm. One view says its the butt end of the cigarette, and this is how I see it. However, it is also possible that that little thing is the tip of his ring finger visible beneath the other two. It's impossible to tell as the area is so small, but it is entirely possible.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I sent out the e-mail. It would be nice to get a response from Mr. Whelan himself.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Of course I'll post the reply if I get one.

Matt
12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Oh yeah, I would love to hear what Michael Whelan would say. I'm totally up for that.

To me, that space between finger and thumb is a very grisly piece of hand, seems clear as a bell to me.

But I can understand different perceptions. :grouphug:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Oh and I name dropped TheDarkTower.com of course ;) :cool:

Matt
12-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Sweet!

I had an email from his wife wishing us luck on the site. :nana:

About a week ago

jayson
12-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I sent out the e-mail. It would be nice to get a response from Mr. Whelan himself.

Way to go! Whether he proves me right or wrong it'd be so cool if he responded.

Aaron
12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't have a full-sized image to look at right now, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that Michael Whelen is a huge DT fan. During PalaverCon we actually had him hosting a feature called "Stump the Artist" where the crowd gave him DT trivia questions. He got the majority of the questions correct. Being the type of artist that he is, who gives great attention to detail, I find it hard to believe that he flubbed it up. Especially since Grant Books and King both had the opportunity to go over all of the illustrations long before they were put into print.

I don't think that Robert at Grant has the original of this one. I don't remember seeing it in his gallery. But they would have full-sized scans of the painting on file. We should hit up Nerak to do some detective work for us.

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I totally agree Aaron.

If Aaron goes home and doesn't see it...I'll sit in the car with the engine on and the garage door closed. :lol:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:18 AM
If Aaron goes home and doesn't see it...I'll sit in the car with the engine on and the garage door closed. :lol:

How about going ahead and doing it anyway? Just for fun?

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I totally agree Aaron.

If he sees it I will do the same. :lol:

Damn... I need to get a car somehow...
But hey... there is no problem because my handsome neighbour has just bought a new Audi...
Great.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:21 AM
No, no, no...not you Letti, you have to fly over here to be part of my harem.

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Oh, dear. There are so many hot women out there around you.
And the garage door is waiting for me... :D

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Because it isn't Christmas yet, so you don't get a present.

And watch out Letti--the fingers aren't there.

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM

And watch out Letti--the fingers aren't there.

They are.

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:25 AM

:huglove:

We may need to start a glasses fund for some folks here.

Aaron
12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
:rofl:

I find this entire thread terribly cute.

It's like the debates that kids have about whether Batman could kick Superman's ass. (totally could, BTW)

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Oh, dear. There are so many hot women out there around you.
And the garage door is waiting for me... :D

*Locks the garage and throws away the key*

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

We may need to start a glasses fund for some folks here.

I used my microscope.
They are.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

I celebrate the One True Holiday...Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us. So thats alright.

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Well Letti--you got me there.

I suppose there is a like.00001% chance a man like Michael Whelan forgot Roland lost his fingers when being paid to do an illustration for one of the most famous writers in history. :lol:

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Anyway what Aaron wrote is so right very true...
So... If I believe my heart I say they aren't there. Impossible.
If I believe my eyes they are there.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Just believe what your vagina says Letti.

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:35 AM

:fairy:

Its been a hell of a discussion on any front.

Wuducynn
Well Letti--you got me there.

I suppose there is a like.00001% chance a man like Michael Whelan forgot Roland lost his fingers when being paid to do an illustration for one of the most famous writers in history. :lol:

Yep, and we'll hopefully find out soon.

Letti
Just believe what your vagina says Letti.

She doesn't give a damn about it, sorry. :rolleyes:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:36 AM
There you go! Thats really the important feeling.

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM

:fairy:

Its been a hell of a discussion on any front.

I really wish I could look at that pic with your eyes... I have no idea how you cannot see them...

Enigma.

Matt
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I have no idea how you guys can :lol:

Grisly looking stump between finger and thumb. I mean, its like really there in my eyes, not kind of...very much there.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Its alright buddy, I still hate you.

Matt
12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6440/jakegp6.jpg

I put a red circle on the mangled stump--the hand is a literal claw if you look at it right

Letti
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh, yes.
It's very visible.

Check this one out:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/proof.jpg

Matt
12-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Exactly!!

See that horrible lump of scar tissue there? The shadow tip beginning right before the first visible finger starts?

Letti
12-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Exactly!!

See that horrible lump of scar tissue there? The shadow tip beginning right before the first visible finger starts?

No.
I see two beautiful healthy index and middle fingers.

jayson
12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Exactly!!

You say scar, I say shadow.:dance:

Aaron
12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, and the mistakes in The Waste Lands mentioned are nothing when compared to the fact that Jake is clearly described as being blond in the books, not dark-haired.

jayson
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh, and the mistakes in The Waste Lands mentioned are nothing when compared to the fact that Jake is clearly described as being blond in the books, not dark-haired.

I agree. Any images of Jake with dark hair really annoy me. :shoot:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM

It IS shadow ;)

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM

Very true..my only real problem with that artwork. I'm not sure what the artist was thinking with that.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Although I do applaud Matt's Photoshop abilities

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:05 AM

It IS shadow ;)

Letti
12-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Guys, I must say this is the best picture of Roland ever.
Everyone can see what they want... ;)

For my part I really would like to see that thing as a scar.
But I can't.

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I wish I could see it as a mistake, I love that stuff.

jayson
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I wish I could see it as a mistake, I love that stuff.

You can if you think you can grasshopper.:orely:

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM

Good advice ;)

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I see the scar and choose the red pill.

no I don't

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
WOOHOO!!

Go red pill :rock:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll say whatever makes Matt feel better about himself and about his sanity. Whatever will help him sleep at night.

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Its working...a little.

When a person has no soul, its hard to make others feel better

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh I have a soul its just very hard to see because its so dark.

Letti
12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Matt,
I think the scar and the shadow can't be the same colour.
Okay, let's say that there is a scar.
But it should be different from the shadow we see above on that finger... don't you think?
I see it as a shadow because it's long and it begins at the bottom of his finger and it oes up and it's the same colour on its way.

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I love that there are now SEVEN pages of this thread dealing with this topic..:cool:

jayson
12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I love that there are now SEVEN pages of this thread dealing with this topic..:cool:

One page for each of Roland's remaining fingers by the end.:orely:

Matt
12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Matt,
But it should be different from the shadow we see above on that finger... don't you think?
I see it as a shadow because it's long and it begins at the bottom of his finger and it oes up and it's the same colour on its way.

That's what I mean Letti, there is no shadow, its all scar tissue.

R of G---:rofl:

Letti
12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Matt,

That's what I mean Letti, there is no shadow, its all scar tissue.

R of G---:rofl:

:panic: :panic: :panic:

jayson
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Though I only have one in mind, but I am sure we can think of others. I wanted to start a thread of quotes from the series that could be taken in a humorous way out of context.

The example I offer is the following...

"I plow my sister." - Tian Jaffords

Any more?...

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Obviously you're not very open minded about some of the Calla's customs... :rofl:

jayson
12-10-2007, 11:49 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was hoping you'd see this thread. I knew you'd appreciate it.:excited:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I see all threads, just hope I don't blow your mind by posting on them all at once one day.

Letti
12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
AllHail sees evvvverything... ;)

Matt
12-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Is this just for the books or all things?

Rhett Butler to Bonnie Blue

"if you fall off that horse and break your neck, don't come crying to me"

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Is this just for the books or all things?

Rhett Butler to Bonnie Blue

"if you fall off that horse and break your neck, don't come crying to me"

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH good one!! :lol: But I do think this is the Dark Tower series only...I wish could remember one right now.

jayson
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Matt, I was just talking Tower-related, but that was still funny. I 'spose we can open the category up a bit and make it anything by Sai King.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Surely he can't read my mind with my special cap on.. ;) Not verbatim quote there but close enough..

jayson
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Surely he can't read my mind with my special cap on.. ;) Not verbatim quote there but close enough..

Close enough. Poor Dim Walter.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Got a response from Mr. Whelan -

Notes - Hello, I am a Tower Junkie and long-time fan of Mr. Whelan's
> Dark
> Tower artwork, especially his artwork for Dark Tower 7. I'm also a
> member
> of a online fan community called TheDarkTower.Com and on their message
> board
> there is a thread about one piece of his artwork in The Dark Tower.
> The one
> in question is where Roland Deschain and Jake Chambers are looking
> down on
> Blue Heaven.
> It appears that he still has his two fingers that he lost to the
> lobstrosities on the beach of the Western Sea.
> Can Mr. Whelan confirm whether this was a mistake? Or whether Roland
> is
> smoking with his stubs?
> Thank you so much for your time and helping to end this debate! :-)
>
>

No, I knew Roland was supposed to have only the two fingers. His
cigarette is held between the last two fingers on his right hand [
quoting King: "Roland was nothing if not adaptable."] Here's a close up
of the painting
so you can see for yourself: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/DT7_ASdet1.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Michael Whelan

Well there you go, Matt was right! :) Yep, that loud noise is Hell freezing over..

Matt
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
:excited:

I love me!

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
To both Mr. Whelan and Matt, I cry your pardon.

Ps. to AllHail Matt, you rule for contacting Whelan!

MonteGss
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Got a response from Mr. Whelan -

Notes - Hello, I am a Tower Junkie and long-time fan of Mr. Whelan's
> Dark
> Tower artwork, especially his artwork for Dark Tower 7. I'm also a
> member
> of a online fan community called TheDarkTower.Com and on their message
> board
> there is a thread about one piece of his artwork in The Dark Tower.
> The one
> in question is where Roland Deschain and Jake Chambers are looking
> down on
> Blue Heaven.
> It appears that he still has his two fingers that he lost to the
> lobstrosities on the beach of the Western Sea.
> Can Mr. Whelan confirm whether this was a mistake? Or whether Roland
> is
> smoking with his stubs?
> Thank you so much for your time and helping to end this debate! :-)
>
>

No, I knew Roland was supposed to have only the two fingers. His
cigarette is held between the last two fingers on his right hand [
quoting King: "Roland was nothing if not adaptable."] Here's a close up
of the painting
so you can see for yourself: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/DT7_ASdet1.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Michael Whelan

Well there you go, Matt was right! :) Yep, that loud noise is Hell freezing over..

That is awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

Erin
12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
How awesome that Michael Whelan wrote you!

Jean
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Well there you go, Matt was right! :)

hey, hey, I want the credit, too! I was the first to cast that shadow of doubt (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=72538&postcount=39)) http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif
and yes, AllHail, you rule!

Jean
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Matt, I was just talking Tower-related, but that was still funny. I 'spose we can open the category up a bit and make it anything by Sai King.
then it should be moved to Cara Laughs. Do you think it's time to do so? Moreover, if we decide it should extend to all unfortunate quotes by any authors, it will go to Dutch Hill.

jayson
12-11-2007, 04:15 AM
then it should be moved to Cara Laughs. Do you think it's time to do so? Moreover, if we decide it should extend to all unfortunate quotes by any authors, it will go to Dutch Hill.

Let's try to keep it Tower only for now and see how that works out.

jayson
12-11-2007, 04:32 AM
hey, hey, I want the credit, too! I was the first to cast that shadow of doubt (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=72538&postcount=39)) http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

yeah, yeah, you too jean!:clap:

Letti
12-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Wow, Michael Whelan took his time to answer us... he got even bigger for me if that's possible.

AllHail, thank you.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Michael Whelan answered us, thats awesome. Thanks CK

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Michael Whelan answered us, thats awesome. Thanks CK

Wow, Michael Whelan took his time to answer us... he got even bigger for me if that's possible.

AllHail, thank you.

How awesome that Michael Whelan wrote you!

Hell yeah :cool:

That is awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

To both Mr. Whelan and Matt, I cry your pardon.

Ps. to AllHail Matt, you rule for contacting Whelan!

**Bows to all** :harrier:

jayson
12-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I think it proved once and for all what we already suspected, Whelan is at the top of the food chain for Tower artists. Not only is his artwork amazing, but he's cool enough to take time to answer fans. Class act.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 06:56 AM
I think it proved once and for all what we already suspected, Whelan is at the top of the food chain for Tower artists. Not only is his artwork amazing, but he's cool enough to take time to answer fans. Class act.

Couldn't have put it better if I tried.

Matt
12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I totally agree, he's a terrific guy

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Its wicked cool that the best artist of the Dark Tower series is also a Tower Junkie. Hes said so himself many times on .Net.

Matt
12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
I hope he came out and checked the thread. :rock:

I got an email from his wife wishing the site luck a while back, it was really nice of her to do.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:39 AM
I hope he joins the site! Probably under the unassuming ID of "Michael_Whelan" or something.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah, real tricky like that :lol:

Matt
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Guests can read the whole thing so if you like hanging back a bit, the place works :lol:

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but you know he'll want to join if he reads the threads ;)

Matt
12-11-2007, 09:37 AM
How could you not? We have some of the most amazing discussions on the net happing right here.

(if you are into the Dark Tower that is, not so much if you are into chickens)

jayson
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but you know he'll want to join if he reads the threads ;)

That's how I got here.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
This whole I thought you got to this site by logging onto a computer..

jayson
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
This whole I thought you got to this site by logging onto a computer..

Nope, I darkled and tincted my way in.:rock:

Matt
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I wish I could darkle and tinct :lol:

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I wish my head didn't hurt when I try to read that :lol:

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Hmmmmm good topic for a thread...

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
??? :orely: Now I'm lost

sarah
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
yes, lets keep it tower only here. You can always start a similar thread in Dutch Hill

jayson
12-18-2007, 05:30 AM
There was a moment of near silence, except for the oblivious piano player who continued to tinkle.

From The Gunslinger, revised

Randall Flagg
12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
OK. I wish Whelan could answer the question about Eddie holding the wrong eye when he was shot.

jayson
12-19-2007, 04:14 AM
OK. I wish Whelan could answer the question about Eddie holding the wrong eye when he was shot.

I'm still not sure what picture you refer to RF. I looked through all the pics in DT-7 which must be the book you are talking about, but the only pic I see with Eddie in it is the one of the tet celebrating in Blue Heaven a few moments prior to Eddie's wounding.

Erin
12-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I remember the picture, it was one of Whelan's sketches before a chapter right?

I would look, but I don't have a copy of DT 7 anymore because my tattoo artist friend lost it. <_<

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I remember the picture, it was one of Whelan's sketches before a chapter right?

I would look, but I don't have a copy of DT 7 anymore because my tattoo artist friend lost it. <_<

Yeah, thats right. Its one of the sketches. Oh and is this "friend" of yours still alive Erin?

Erin
12-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately. I'm seriously pissed about it though. It was the copy I stayed up reading for almost 2 days straight to finish it when it first came out. :(

Jean
12-21-2007, 01:51 PM
I have now a book with those Whelan pictures, and right now I am looking at Roland smoking!!! thank you RF!!!!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

alinda
12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Jean, it makes me wish I had sent copies of all the duplicate SK books I have
in a box for you....the pic is Roland & Jake smoking together?:cool:

Jean
12-21-2007, 02:00 PM
yes, that very picture!

love, I really truly have no place for more books, much as I would love to have something (anything!) else from you http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif! so now it's all settled the best way possible, I have all DT books (at last!), two of which those big, beautiful hardbacks (oh I wish I had room for them - I'll take them to my mother's, and will look at the pictures once a week, and read the paperbacks) with pictures RF sent. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

jayson
12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
He bent forward and looked into the Old Fella's hidey hole.:excited:

- Wolves of the Calla

TerribleT
12-27-2007, 01:59 PM
He bent forward and looked into the Old Fella's hidey hole.:excited:

- Wolves of the Calla

LMFAO!!!!!!!

jayson
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!

I'm listening to Wolves again on audiobook, and I've gotta tell you, some of these quotes are that much funnier to hear aloud than to read. I just passed Tian's "I plow my sister" line, and I nearly pissed myself.

TerribleT
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!

I'm listening to Wolves again on audiobook, and I've gotta tell you, some of these quotes are that much funnier to hear aloud than to read. I just passed Tian's "I plow my sister" line, and I nearly pissed myself.

I'm really glad you started this thread, some of this shit is hilarious!!!

jayson
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm really glad you started this thread, some of this shit is hilarious!!!

I can't help it, when it comes down to it, I'm Eddie without the addiction. I can't ignore a joke no matter how bad.

Letti
01-01-2008, 02:48 PM
The part where Susannah leaves Roland and chooses another world.
I loved the whole book... really but that part.
It pissed me off a lot. It was very disturbing and I can't accept it. I try not to think of it at all.

OchrisO
01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Maybe Roland was playing paintball. One can fan the trigger in paintball.....

Ruthful
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
About #2,

I don't think the placement of drawings in that book is intended to correspond precisely with the timeline of events as it unfolds.

Matt
01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think so either.

On the gun thing--I believe all King was trying to say is that having a fully automatic weapon is not the best case for accuracy in almost any circumstance. And I agree on that.

I've shot a lot of guns as well and in a situation like that, a pistol would be much more effective.

Wuducynn
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
No, Matt. It was just a screw up because he doesn't know his guns. Its okay, King isn't perfect like you are.

Matt
01-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Sure, if you love seeing the worst in people :lol:

I'll tell you right now, an M-16 in close quarters with an unexperienced firer will mean probably 90% miss rate.

Wuducynn
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Well I've shot an M-16 and an AR-15 and you might as well be shooting a .22 recoil-wise. It would not do what King describes in the book.

Matt
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM

You must be a very strong man Matthew. I'm not saying it would knock you off your feet but the barrel drifts up, it can't be stopped.

Its not about recoil, its about the thing being inaccurate after about 3 bullets. To me, that is what he was trying to say.

And yes, I have fired them both as well.

Wuducynn
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I am a pretty strong guy and I do realize the barrel drifts but no where to the extreme "The Amazing Rambo Machine" described in Drawing does.

Matt
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I would call that perspective :couple:

and even a little drift kills accuracy which is again, what I believe he was trying to say.

Wuducynn
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh and he keeps calling magazines "clips"... :rolleyes:

sarah
01-10-2008, 08:21 AM
sarajean is reading the Plume tall paperback of The Drawing of the Three. she says that on page 44 Roland still has all his fingers and he is wearing an earring. Does anyone have the picture that I'm talking about? Can someone help me track it down and post here? Thank you.

Erin
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I have a Plume paperback edition of The Drawing of the Three and I just checked it, but I guess it's not the "tall" edition SJ has as there is not a picture on page 44, but on page 49, and in that pic Roland is missing his fingers.

Hopefully someone has the right book on here.

sarah
01-10-2008, 02:39 PM
I have the one with Roland on page 49 with bandages on his right hand. sj took a picture of her book and sent it to my phone.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/38941/2003186236583496003_fs.jpg

Erin
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, i've never seen that picure before.

timtempest6
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Did any one catch the goof when Roland is hiding behind the pyramid. where he thinks he will be fine if Los doesn't through more than 12 sneaches at a time, even though sue took 1 of his guns with her.?

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Did any one catch the goof when Roland is hiding behind the pyramid. where he thinks he will be fine if Los doesn't through more than 12 sneaches at a time, even though sue took 1 of his guns with her.?

I have to go back and read that part..is portrayed as having both his guns at that point? I can't remember now.

Dud-a-chum?
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM

+++++1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cover that topic starter posted is one that I've seen in the bookstores before, and . . . ugh! How ugly can you get?

Dud-a-chum?
01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Alright, probably already mentioned before, but the artwork in WotC in which Susannah is out in the woods . . . I swear to God it looks like she is simply bending down, because the tips of her "stumps" look like knees to me, and if I remember correctly, you can even see a portion of lower leg bending back underneath her. Not to mention she looks like an American (native) instead of a black person, given the unusually straight hair, especially after being in the wilderness for so long. Damn, she must have some major grouming habits that I don't know about.

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, and its mentioned several times throughout the series that she has kinky hair. The WORST artwork in the series by far. Bleh!

Dud-a-chum?
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah, and its mentioned several times throughout the series that she has kinky hair. The WORST artwork in the series by far. Bleh!

lol, it's interesting that we are so at odds about the book itself, but agree with one another so strongly that the artwork featured in the book is trash. :p

That being said, however, the artwork for both books that followed redeemed the artwork aspect of the series for me. However, I honestly think Whelan should have illustrated the whole series; he was clearly King's favorite anyway, and I would have enjoyed every single book's artwork. As it is now, I only really enjoy three artworks: The first book, and the last two. Just think of what Whelen could have done with Susan in W&G!

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
The Dark Tower and Song of Susannah both have my favorite artwork in the series.. :cool:

Dud-a-chum?
01-15-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't understand why people are bothered by little mistakes like that when King has described Susannah with legs on many occasions, :lol: That to me is his most unforgivable sin.

Letti
01-15-2008, 05:01 AM
I don't understand why people are bothered by little mistakes like that when King has described Susannah with legs on many occasions, :lol: That to me is his most unforgivable sin.

I can't be bothered by little mistakes maybe because I am not able to notice them at all but where did King describe Susannah with legs? I am interested in it.

jayson
01-15-2008, 05:17 AM
I like finding the little inconsistencies or inaccuracies or anachronisms. Gunslingers are supposed to notice every detail. I try to do that and when something seems out of place, I notice. I don't judge King for the "mistakes," but I do enjoy finding them and laughing if they are funny.