PDA

View Full Version : Marvel vs. DC!!!!!!!!!! All out WAR!!!!!

Seymour_Glass
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
So, which of the Big Two do you prefer. Right now, I'm gonna have to side with DC (Final Crisis>Secret Invasion)(Grant Morrison>Bendis), despite Ed Brubaker's stunning work on Daredevil and Captain America.

Also, how can this be made into a poll?

DoctorDodge
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Although Marvel does have the cooler heroes and better written long running storylines, i'm gonna have to side with DC, since i'm a casual reader of both, and what DC is REALLY good at is big epic battles such as Crisis on Infinite Earths, but it's also notably brilliant at crafting really special stories that give us a good realistic glimpse at the heroes behind the masks, such as Identity Crisis, Batman: Year One, and the Killing Joke. So, out of the two, i'd say i'd prefer DC.

Having said that, i'll ALWAYS be a 2000AD fan, of course! :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
04-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Having said that, i'll ALWAYS be a 2000AD fan, of course! :thumbsup:

I subscribe to that!

As for Marvel vs DC... I probably haven't read enough of either to judge fairly. One thing I'll say, in the past Marvel was credited with doing more realistic heroes, characters one could empathize with (i.e. Spider-man being a student, etc.)

I don't think that is the case anymore though. I like Batman and Superman. And Animal man was good (although I wasn't keen on the Deus Ex Machina novel I much prefered Stephen King's venture into metafiction in the Dark Tower. I feel inclined toward DC.

On the other hand I like the X-Men and rather liked some of the Daredevil stuff I've read too.

The Lady of Shadows
04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
meh. for me that's like saying "republican" or "democrat". it's not about the party, it's about the person. if the characters are good, i could care less where they are from you know?

now that said, let's not turn this into a political debate please because, just for the record, i'm an independent. in my politics and my comics. :)

Seymour_Glass
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Brainslinger, you blaspheme against my Church ofGrant Morrison (GOD of All Comics).

And, I can appreciate your opinion Lady, but pretty much all the superhero books I still read are DC (All Star Superman, Green Lantern, Action Comics, Batman when it gets off hiatus), and most of the books I read are from Vertigo, a "mature readers" imprint of DC that publishes some of my favorite stuff ever.

turtlex
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I had plans to be doing a poll like this in the future, Seymour, but you should have been prompted to add a poll when you created the thread... PM me if you want me to put up a poll, and then merge this into the new thread.

Now for the very good question you asked.

Hello? Marvel all the way my friends.

And here's why :
Spider-Man, Wolverine, X-Men ( yeah, pretty much all of them ), Daredevil, Captain America, Silver Surfer, etc.

Seymour_Glass
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh, shit, Jason Aaron's Marvel exclusive. Now, may I officially change my position to neutral?

flaggwalkstheline
04-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Marvel All the Way
I pretty much worship brian michael bendis

Ultimate spiderman is the best comicbook series EVER and Norman Osbornes Meteoric Rise to power at the end of secret invasion has been stunningly awesome, someone carve the words EPIC FAIL into Tony Starks Armor lol

Sam
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I have to chime in here. I currently only regularly read three or four titles, NONE of them are DC. DC has had more consistently good writing than Marvel (when they use it like they have in the last five years), but Marvel has better and more interesting characters. DC's biggest problem is that their characters are often left to languish, and they aren't interesting enough to do that. I love Green Lantern. I loved it even more when Kyle Raynor was the new lantern. Bringing Hal Jordan back was baloney. I loved Hal and mourned his plight, but bringing him back the way DC did just totally negated years worth of great storytelling. Just my opinion, but it's one of the reasons that when the time came that I had to cull some titles, GL got cut.

Marvel has some great writers too, but Marvel doesn't give the writers enough room to do great crossover fights like Crisis (which isn't as great now as it was then. Sorry to say it, but it's true). Even Civil War could have been better. Identity Crisis had me literally on the edge of my seat with each issue. Even so, Final Crisis didn't garner a read from me, mostly because I found Infinite Crisis kinda boring.

Btw, the other titles I read each month are: The Boys, PvP (Player vs Player), The Ultimates (now Ultimatum), and The Punisher: Frank Castle (MAX series).

CyberGhostface
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Marvel.

Although I'm not too happy with the way they're running things (*coughs*onemoreday*coughs*) nowadays, I still prefer most of their characters to DC's. With DC, I really only like Batman. (Not counting their Mature titles, of course...)

RUBE
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Marvel... but DC does get respect for Watchmen.

Brice
04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I had plans to be doing a poll like this in the future, Seymour, but you should have been prompted to add a poll when you created the thread... PM me if you want me to put up a poll, and then merge this into the new thread.

Now for the very good question you asked.

Hello? Marvel all the way my friends.

And here's why :
Spider-Man, Wolverine, X-Men ( yeah, pretty much all of them ), Daredevil, Captain America, Silver Surfer, etc.

There needn't be a new thread...Seymour or you could just add the poll to the existing thread can't you? :orely: