PDA

View Full Version : General Comic Info, Questions and Help Wanted

Pages : [1] 2

Chassit
06-05-2007, 09:57 AM
The comics have started coming in...I have only gotten #3 so far so haven't started reading it (I will read them in order). I am just wondering if I should even open them up over...the condition is ...pristine and I am afraid of de valuing it, LOL. Advise or opinions please :)

XIX

Frunobulax
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Bah, just read them!! Then hermetically seal them away.

Matt
06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I think the printing runs on these are so large that unless we have another war and mom's recycle entire collections for paper...it probably won't ever gain too much value. :(

So I say read them!! :D

Daghain
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't believe in "saving" anything for a special occasion - LIFE IS SHORT! ENJOY THEM! :D

Frunobulax
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Daghain--good outlook!

Chassit
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, sounds good to me!! As soon as 1 gets here (chomping the bit).

XIX

nyy3723a
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I think the printing runs on these are so large that unless we have another war and mom's recycle entire collections for paper...it probably won't ever gain too much value. :(

Yep! Pretty much the same as any baseball card printed after the early 80s - there are just too many of them out there for them to be worth anything in the long run, so enjoy them!

Wuducynn
06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Always buy two of something you want to both save and enjoy. So you can save one and enjoy the other.

VolsToTheWall
06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Always buy two of something you want to both save and enjoy. So you can save one and enjoy the other.

That's what I've been doing with the regular covers, buying one that I just bag and store, and one for reading and re-reading and getting my fingerprints all over it. ;)

Patrick
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I just renamed this thread from "Allright" to something more descriptive.

Hannah
07-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Aaron and I have been trying to buy all the variants. Does anyone know where we can look to find the "average going rate" for all of the variants.

Here's what happened to us a couple of weeks ago: I bought a few of the variants for Aaron for father's day. I got one of the sketch variants (Maybe issue #5?) for $49.99. We visited another comic book store a few weeks later and they were selling the same variant for $250. Seems like a major discrepancy there. I want to eventually collect them all (and hopefully not have my five year old run and jump on them like she did the other day), but I don't want to get ripped off.

Matt
07-11-2007, 07:30 AM
That's an amazing difference!!

Could they simply be worth that much now?

Brice
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
That's an amazing difference!!

Could they simply be worth that much now?

I would say definitely not.

Brice
07-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Aaron and I have been trying to buy all the variants. Does anyone know where we can look to find the "average going rate" for all of the variants.

Here's what happened to us a couple of weeks ago: I bought a few of the variants for Aaron for father's day. I got one of the sketch variants (Maybe issue #5?) for $49.99. We visited another comic book store a few weeks later and they were selling the same variant for $250. Seems like a major discrepancy there. I want to eventually collect them all (and hopefully not have my five year old run and jump on them like she did the other day), but I don't want to get ripped off.

I would try ebay personally. Just wait on low prices.

Hannah
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Brice. Yeah, I guess Aaron was talking to the guy at the comic book store he went to and that dude told him to stay away from Mile High Comics, where the price is miles higher than everyone else's... :P

Matt
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
:rofl:

Fuckin' Mile High anyway--my son is still pissed at those guys.

David
07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
There's a Jae Lee signed original cover of #2 limited and numbered to 300, one of which is at my LCS which has been sitting there for a couple of months with a listed price of 30 dollars that i'll probably bag tommorrow. I believe that this is a copy of the signed series he did where he actually signed 301 by losing count and signing two of them the same number.

I'd like to find out which number is duplicated. It may not add value financially, but it would make for a good conversation piece. The one at my LCS is a lower 200 (228, if I remember correctly).

Hannah
07-12-2007, 07:46 AM
only $30 for a signed copy? I would think that's a pretty good deal. :D

Yes, Matt, Mile High can go fuck themselves. They're evil comic vampires.

Randall Flagg
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
E-bay is a good reference point for pricing. In general, in my area both variants of each copy have stabilized at about $50-$60 total for the two.

Patrick
07-13-2007, 01:02 PM
E-bay is a good reference point for pricing. In general, in my area both variants of each copy have stabilized at about $50-$60 total for the two.
Same here as well.

David
07-13-2007, 02:26 PM
only $30 for a signed copy? I would think that's a pretty good deal. :D

Yes, Matt, Mile High can go fuck themselves. They're evil comic vampires.

Agreed. And I did pick it up yesterday. I'll see about posting a picture of it at some point.

Patrick
07-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice acquisition, David. :thumbsup:

David
07-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, seemed like a steal. Regardless of what it's worth by any appraisal, it was easily worth 30 to me. :D I didn't even notice until I got out of the store that there was a beautiful certificate of authenticity inside the slip case right on the back in plain site. :lol:

jhanic
07-14-2007, 06:15 AM
I also have a copy of #1 signed by Jae Lee (#369 of 499) that I got for $29.99 from my local comics store. Those are available from the website:

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/search2.html?KMPZ=gunslinger+born&0=19&next0=

They have a wide assortment of issues available. They are also the ones that issue the Certificate of Authenticity.

As for the pricing of the variants, I don't think there is any "standard". I just got the 1:50 variant of #6 for the cover price of $3.99! I usually pay $10-$30 for them from my local store, but he gave me a break on this one.

John

Matt
07-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Wow!!

These are some amazing deals.

Aaron
07-15-2007, 10:35 PM
I've found that there really is no standard in the long run. The comic book stores aren't paying extra for the variants; they're just purchasing larger quantities of the standard print run in order to get them, and many shops would have bought those quantities anyway. But, from searching around and talking with my local guy, the best practice I can see is that if it is a 1:25, then you should pay no more than $25 (during the initial month it is released), and the same with the 1:50. Pay no more than $50. After the print run is out for the variants, however, then the prices can raise. The sketch variant for #2, for example, is tougher to find--especially at shops. I've generally seen it running in the $150-$200 range. But then I got one on ebay the other day for $70. It is twenty more than the 1:50 would normally call for, but the market is still higher, so it was a good deal. Savvy?

Hannah
07-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Savvy?

What are you Captain Jack Sparrow all of the sudden?

Aaron
07-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.

:harrier:

David
07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Here's that Jae Lee autographed copy of issue #2.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3309/pic0723071jpg3re7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It is, in fact, number 228 of 300.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3884/228of300tc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I totally forgot to take a picture of the letter of authenticity. It will be edited in this post within a day or two.

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 04:55 PM
The comics have started coming in...I have only gotten #3 so far so haven't started reading it (I will read them in order). I am just wondering if I should even open them up over...the condition is ...pristine and I am afraid of de valuing it, LOL. Advise or opinions please :)

XIX

When it's something like this, I usually buy 2 copies of each issue, one to read and one not to touch.

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I've found that there really is no standard in the long run. The comic book stores aren't paying extra for the variants; they're just purchasing larger quantities of the standard print run in order to get them, and many shops would have bought those quantities anyway. But, from searching around and talking with my local guy, the best practice I can see is that if it is a 1:25, then you should pay no more than $25 (during the initial month it is released), and the same with the 1:50. Pay no more than $50. After the print run is out for the variants, however, then the prices can raise. The sketch variant for #2, for example, is tougher to find--especially at shops. I've generally seen it running in the $150-$200 range. But then I got one on ebay the other day for $70. It is twenty more than the 1:50 would normally call for, but the market is still higher, so it was a good deal. Savvy?

Unless comic book collecting and buying rules have changed in the last 10 years, usually variants are worthe less then the original run of the series. Unless a variant has a mistake or is rare, it will be considered a re-print and not be as valuable as the first run.
The only reason for collecting the variant covers (unless you are just a fan of the newer cover) would to be collect every variant including the original and auctioning off the entire collection.

Patrick
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM

Unless comic book collecting and buying rules have changed in the last 10 years, usually variants are worthe less then the original run of the series. Unless a variant has a mistake or is rare, it will be considered a re-print and not be as valuable as the first run.
The only reason for collecting the variant covers (unless you are just a fan of the newer cover) would to be collect every variant including the original and auctioning off the entire collection.
Mordred, are you talking about original limited variants that were part of the first release? Or are you talking about the 2nd printings that have a different cover?

Mordred Deschain
07-31-2007, 07:32 PM
this is an old pic and horrible, but this is my collection..

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/070707_23331.jpg

As for as I know this is the first run. In a collectors mind set they are worth more than the variant covers, because the variants come out after the original release, the variants are considered reprints even if it has a different cover. If the variant covers are rare or have a mistake, they would be worth more than the original. If you wanted "money" for your collection you would have every original plus every variant and sell it as a whole rather than individual. is that what you're asking?

jhanic
08-01-2007, 04:21 AM
I have to disagree with you that the variants are issued AFTER the original release. The variants are issued at the same time as the original release. It's only the second and third printings that are issued afterwards.

I'm a completist, in that I'm going to try to get every issue of every Dark Tower comic that's out there, including the variants and the subsequent printings. I know I may never get back what I'll be spending, but, to me, it just feels right. I'm not into collecting as an investment.

John

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I have to disagree with you that the variants are issued AFTER the original release. The variants are issued at the same time as the original release. It's only the second and third printings that are issued afterwards.

I'm a completist, in that I'm going to try to get every issue of every Dark Tower comic that's out there, including the variants and the subsequent printings. I know I may never get back what I'll be spending, but, to me, it just feels right. I'm not into collecting as an investment.

John

Well, like I was getting at above, I haven't collected comics in 10 years, so if they are releasing variant covers at the same time, then yes, I agree with you. But, my comic store may suck, but they are only getting the first covers, like in my photo. They get the variants after the release date, so that may be why I'm confused on the issue. As far as being a completist, that's what I mean, if you really want something worthe value (say this series) you need to collect every variant, and possible the re-prints. Only a serious collector would want the entire thing. I've had dealers pissed at me, because I wanted to break up their entire set because I only need one issue.

Patrick
08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I think you are both correct as far as the Dark Tower comics are concerned.

Marvel is issuing limited "variant" covers (1:50 ratio for the sketch variant and 1:25 ratio for the color variant) concurrent with the regular cover issue. These are the ones that John is talking about.

Later Marvel has been releasing second printings of the issues with a yet another cover and calling those "variant" as well - although they do sell for the same cover price as the regular first printing. I believe these are the ones that Mordred is talking about.

Like John, I am buying both "original issue" variants of this first seven issue story arc, and I am buying the "second printing" variants as they are released. I plan to continue to buy the original issue color variant of all future issues as well. But I will decide on the sketch variant cover as each future story arc comes out - decision will be based on price because these are adding up to a hell of a lot of money.

Mordred Deschain
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I think you are both correct as far as the Dark Tower comics are concerned.

Later Marvel has been releasing second printings of the issues with a yet another cover and calling those "variant" as well - although they do sell for the same cover price as the regular first printing. I believe these are the ones that Mordred is talking about.

I would say yes. That is what I'm talking about. I didn't realize they were producing variants at the same time.

Spencer
08-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Yep! Pretty much the same as any baseball card printed after the early 80s - there are just too many of them out there for them to be worth anything in the long run, so enjoy them!

That's about right. VERY few comics after then are very high in value, and that's usually because the comic company underestimated the interset in the comic, and more people want the comic than there are copies available. Supply and demand, and all that. Usually, that's rectified by reprints, but, sometimes, for whatever reason, they're not done, and the comic shoots up in value. The most recent example is this one from 2005:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/51/300px-Themanwholaughs.jpg

HIGHLY sought after, but even that one's only worth around $35-$50. Save your comics, keep em nice just in case there's a sudden demand for an issue that isn't widely available in comic stores anymore, but don't ever buy a comic hoping to make money on it, it just won't work. Buy what YOU like to read, and enjoy it.

Mordred Deschain
08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Here's my problem, I think I missed my selling point. shoulda got rid of my X-men comics when the first movie came out. Same with a few others. The problem I hear with my collection is, when I first start collecting, it was during the time when they were being mass produced. Late 80's and the whole 90's.

mattv2099
11-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I hope this question isn't in the wrong place :doh:

Does anyone know if the current, commonly available Gunslinger Born door poster is identical to the promo door poster that some got shops before issue 1 came out?

Thanks!

Patrick
11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I only know of one door poster, so I would think they are one and the same.

mattv2099
11-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I found this image on the net. This is what I was thinking of. It looks as though its not a 20x55 door poster but some other dimension. Definately not identical to the door poster.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z267/mattv2099/promoposter.jpg

Patrick
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Yes, that poster is the promo one that shops received, it's definitely not the door poster. So is that the one you want to get, or do you have one already?

mattv2099
11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, that poster is the promo one that shops received, it's definitely not the door poster. So is that the one you want to get, or do you have one already?

I want to find this one :) :) :) I have the door poster... But for some reason until today I thought the door poster was the promo poster.

Patrick
11-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Now you've convinced me to ask my local shop if they got the promo poster (I never saw it posted) and, if so, what they did with it. Probably gave it to an employee or something, but it won't hurt to ask...

Daghain
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Patrick, can you post that link you sent me once on comic book covers again? I need to get some. Thanks! :D

Patrick
11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Patrick, can you post that link you sent me once on comic book covers again? I need to get some. Thanks! :D

Ummmm.... :unsure: .... what?

Oh, do you mean bags and boards? How many do you need?

Daghain
11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Like 7, right now. :lol: But I'll need more as the comic books come out. But yeah, I mean the clear covers to protect the books.

Obviously I am not comicspeak literate. :lol:

Patrick
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Personally I buy mine at the local comic store. If you don't have one of those, just google "comic book bags boards" and pick a site to buy from.

Daghain
11-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Hmmm. I believe there is a comic book store downtown. SQUEE! An excuse to go downtown and get good beer! :D

Patrick
11-25-2007, 12:46 AM
See, it's a win-win for you!

Daghain
12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
What is the proper way to store comic books? I know you can get protective covers for them, but what is a good way to store them?

Jimmy
12-01-2007, 09:38 AM
For protective purposes for rereading only, use Marvel's new online catalogue. Entire lines of books online for a low monthly cost. To sign up as a Marvel.com member with access to the comics (Annual subscription for $4.99 a month w/ a lump sum purchase price of $59.88 or a $9.99 monthly fee subscription.) go here...

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/v3/pages/pg_digitalcomicssubscribe.php

For protective purposes in hopes that value will increase, CGC has a grading system where for a fee they'll grade and seal the comic. Provided the book is in good to mint condition, the actual grading and sealing will increase the value of the comic.

http://www.cgccomics.com/

And of course there's the old standards.

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/comicbookprotection/ht/protectionbasic.htm

Darkthoughts
12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, I have an entire collection of Doom Patrol comics (87 issues from the original run - might get the newer Arcudi stuff too though.) And they are all individually bagged with card backing aswell to prevent creasing. I keep them in my Harry potter cupboard (that's our under the stair cupboard, where all my bookshelves and books are...no kids allowed!) basically, as long as the room you're storing them in isn't affected by damp, you should be fine.

Edit: My collection isn't worth an awful lot - if I had anything really rare, the links Jimmy provided are the way to go. If your collection is just standard-ish like mine, then the sort of care I mentioned would be fine, imo :)

Daghain
12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I really only have the DT comics, but I'd like to keep them looking nice. :D

ETA: Thanks for the links, Jimmy - those are really helpful. :D

Randall Flagg
12-01-2007, 11:03 AM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7285/slipcaselk9.jpg

STEPHEN KING Dark Tower Gunslinger Born LIMTD SLIPCASE (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-Dark-Tower-Gunslinger-Born-LIMTD-SLIPCASE_W0QQitemZ320189077206QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3 77QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
BIN $29.95

Spencer
12-01-2007, 01:37 PM

STEPHEN KING Dark Tower Gunslinger Born LIMTD SLIPCASE (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-Dark-Tower-Gunslinger-Born-LIMTD-SLIPCASE_W0QQitemZ320189077206QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3 77QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
BIN $29.95

Now that thing is cool. :O

Daghain
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
WOW.

herbertwest
12-02-2007, 04:42 AM
I talked about it, in the other post about The Overlook Connection...

Jimmy
12-02-2007, 06:05 AM

BIN $29.95

Way to kill all my hard work in that previous post Flagg! :P

(That's effing SWEET!)

funky dredd
12-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Damn that's nice! I might have to order one!

Daghain
12-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I got one. That was too good to pass up.

Merry Christmas to me! :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
So the Sam & Max comics are supposed to be rereleased but does anyone know when? I want them sooo bad!!!!!

BlakeMP
12-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Basic protection is rather simple: The comic goes into an acid-free polybag with an acid-free backing board (easily available at any comic shop). Then, keep 'em in a cool, dry place and viola. ;)

Patrick
12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Basic protection is rather simple: The comic goes into an acid-free polybag with an acid-free backing board (easily available at any comic shop). Then, keep 'em in a cool, dry place and viola. ;)
That's what I do.

RF, herbertwest, anyone buy that slipcase from Overlook? What can you tell us about it? How many books does it actually hold? Is it big enough to hold the books bagged and boarded, or do they have to be "loose"?

mattv2099
12-06-2007, 08:18 AM
I recently bought on ebay one of these CGC graded comics. It comes in a sturdy case. I would like to get cases like this for my DT comics. A search has turned up nothing. I dont' feel like sending all my DT comics into CGC and spending hundreds of dollars for them to grade the comics and put them in hard cases. I'm thinking DIY. BTW, the CGC I got was a quesada variant of issue one for $4.99 and it's graded 8.5 lol. the so called 'flaws' are so miniscule lol. Great deal IMHO.

mattv2099
12-06-2007, 08:20 AM

BIN $29.95

That slipcase is made for the set of 7 comics correct? Wouldn't inserting and removing the comics damage them? Do they fit in there with bags and boards? I don't get the idea of a slipcase for comics. It looks cool though. I might buy one just to see whats up.

Daghain
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I bought one, when I get it I'll let you know. :D

Mordred Deschain
02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Wow, I'm going to have to post some pictures soon. I'm almost done bagging my comics and I'm on box 7. I've bought over 600 bags and backboards so far and I think I'm going to have to buy another 200 - 400.

turtlex
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Greetings All -

Just wondering if anyone is collecting CGC graded copies of the DT series? I've got a good collection going. Prices are still sort of all over though.

My DT CGC's :
Comic Title Issue Number If Yes, Variant Info CGC Rating
The Dark Tower : Gunslinger's Guidebook N/A N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : Gunslinger's Guidebook N/A N/A 9.6
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 Joe Quesada Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.4
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 1 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 David Finch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 2 3rd Printing Variant 9.6
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 2nd Printing Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 3 2nd Printing Variant 9.6
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 McNiven Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 4 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 Greg Land Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 5 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 N/A 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 J. Scott Campbell Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 6 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 Jae Lee Sketch Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 Coipel & Powers Cover Variant 9.8
The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger Born 7 N/A 9.8

Matt
02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I think one of the other Directors (Aaron) has a very extensive collection of the first arc. Several copies of all of them, hope he sees this.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Welcome turtlex. I have all of the first issues and vatiants, but it was expensive enough to do that.:angry:
I shied away from any CGc rated comics.

jhanic
02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome turtlex. I have all of the first issues and vatiants, but it was expensive enough to do that.:angry:
I shied away from any CGc rated comics.

I feel the same way. I REALLY don't see the value-added for a CGC rating. Of course, I'm not a comics collector, either. I just got all the issues and variants at the local store or via eBay for the ones he didn't receive.

John

turtlex
02-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Everyone - I love comics, DT and others ( daredevil, captain america, x-men, etc ) .

Honestly, I've only invested in the CGCs for the DT series, and a very few other non-DT comics ( death of captain america, yellow daredevil ).

Well, I figure with the CGCs, they're an investment. I have "reading" copies of all of the series, and the CGCs are to be put away and savored. Its documented, which I like, and "official" in the mint/near mint world. I just saw a 9.9 go for about 330 dollars on eBay. No way do I have that much to invest. Most of my 9.8s were purchased for under 40 dollars each.

I tell you, if you want to get into collecting - get the sketch variants graded by CGC ( I'm not a fan of PGX ). Then you can insure them.

My two cents, is all. I am really looking forward to the next series. The art is amazing and the stories so well drawn.

Matt
02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Some great advice. Thanks turtlex.

I totally agree on the artwork for the first arc--it was new, different and refreshing. I can't wait to see the images in the next set because it will be all new stuff.

My idea of what that all looked like when I read Wizard and Glass was pretty iron clad. :lol:

Stinga of A-Town
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Mayhap this thread has moved on - but for my 2 cents, buy 2 of each. One for reading and one for a saving.
I was able to get 2 of each of the first arc, (except for #4, I could only find a one of that wasn't variant.)
As far as storage, I have always been a fan of the card, cover and cardboard box. (like what you would see in a comic book store) - Although I will say out of sheer paranoia, I keep all comics on the top floor of my house, off the floor. Never know when a flood be a comin, or when a pipe will burst!

Daghain
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I will say the slipcase is pretty cool - fits nicely on the bookshelf. :)

what
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM

bagged and boarded?

Daghain
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Haven't tried that, but I think there would be enough room.

Patrick
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I will say the slipcase is pretty cool - fits nicely on the bookshelf. :)bagged and boarded?
Haven't tried that, but I think there would be enough room.I don't own one of those fancy slipcases, but I have read that they are big enough to hold the issues bagged and boarded. Perhaps someone could confirm that.

----------

My DT comic collection has rapidly grown out of hand - some nicely on the shelf, some still in bags at home, some in a bag at the office... So today I bought a storage system at my local comic store to get everything organized. It isn't as fancy, but it will hold many more issues than that slipcase pictured above and it cost less than five bucks.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Comics/DTcomicsALL-Storage1b.jpg

:)

what
04-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Patrick I am envious! The owner of the local shop told me he has a good number of variants from the Born series he's gonna dig up for me... one of the guys that work with me said the comic boxes are all you need ... he actually brought me a spare to work this morning...

Nerak
04-03-2008, 05:02 AM

bagged and boarded?

yup, bagged and borded!!

Daghain
04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Patrick, holy cow! That's quite a collection!

And thanks for the verification, Nerak! :)

Patrick
04-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Daghain. :) You can see it better in my Book Collection thread.

Patrick
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Patrick I am envious! The owner of the local shop told me he has a good number of variants from the Born series he's gonna dig up for me... one of the guys that work with me said the comic boxes are all you need ... he actually brought me a spare to work this morning...

Thanks, what.

I agree, the box is all you really need. The slipcase is a whole lot prettier though and it fits on the shelf (box doesn't), maybe I'll get one someday.

If he has any of those variants that you decide not to buy, please let me know! :thumbsup:

what
04-04-2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks, what.

I agree, the box is all you really need. The slipcase is a whole lot prettier though and it fits on the shelf (box doesn't), maybe I'll get one someday.

If he has any of those variants that you decide not to buy, please let me know! :thumbsup:

I'll do it! I'll know something next week when I go back up there.

turtlex
04-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Well comic fans, the first bunch of the Long Road Home comics that have been CGC graded are starting to hit ebay.

What I've seen : ALL RATED 9.8
The first issue is going for about 30-35 dollars.
The first issue cover variant is around 60-65 dollars.
The first issue sketch is pricey at about 100-150 dollars. ( I got mine for 99.99 on a buy it now ).

This is just the first batch that I've seen. Typically, the "regular" issues come down as more and more appear. It's the variant covers and the sketch issues that are hard to get and usually stay kind of up there in costs.

Also, for those who submit, etc - Comic Convention season is upon us, so comics coming back from CGC will start to take a little longer going through the grading process.

For Those Who Care : on ebay : I typically seach for something like :
dark tower long road home cgc

For me, my DT collection - I like a 9.8 grade (would love better but those are incredibly hard to find and when you can find them, they are way out of my price range).

Upcoming comic cons : You'll see some cgc DT comics here, no doubt.
New York ComicCon ( www.nycomiccon) next weekend, April 18-20
Wizard World Philadelphia ( www.wizardworld.com ) which is May 30-June 1st.

If you've never been to comic cons, they're a lot of fun and if you're into collecting, getting tickets in advance often includes a limited editioin comic or item, as a bonus for getting tickets early.

turtlex
05-18-2008, 04:43 PM
The first CGC rated 10 for a DT comic is on eBay. It ends in an hour or so and it up to $430.

Dark Tower: Long Road Home #2 CGC 10.0 GEM MINT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330235679199&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

My prediction is over $500, though I think probably it's only worth that (not that $500 is a small amount). I think it will go pretty high.

( FYI : no, I'm not bidding. WAY too pricey for this turtle )

turtlex
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow. The auction mentioned above ended at US $676.00

I think they paid too much, but I hope they enjoy their comic!

jhanic
05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
All but two of the bidders had less than 100 feedback. Sounds like most are newbies.

John

turtlex
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
All but two of the bidders had less than 100 feedback. Sounds like most are newbies.

John

I thought the same thing. A couple of bidders were going at it very early in the auction, and they pumped it up over US $400 days before the auction was to end.

turtlex
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Just found another CGC graded 10 DT comic.

Guess folks are getting some back from CGC. This is a sketch, so worth more, in and of itself. However, this is starting/opening bid is HIGH....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230253966010&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

Dark Tower #1 Long Road Home Sketch variant CGC 10.0!

Opening bid is US $799.99

A couple of positives there -
1. Its a sketch variant
2. Its the first issue ( usually more valuable ) of the series

With an opening bid of just about 800 smackers, I really think this one is priced high... on the other hand, I would LOVE to own it.

( turtlex will not be bididng, however )

turtlex
05-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Still no bids on the comic listed above. No surprise, really, at that price.

Matt
05-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I wish I had that kind of money to burn on a cool comic <_<

turtlex
05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I think that every time I see one come up - then I have to try and be sensible and think ... it's not worth that much, no matter how much I might want it.

Patrick
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I wish I had that kind of money to burn on a cool comic <_<If I had that kind of money to burn on a cool comic, I'd spend about $50 of it on a non-graded sketch variant and the other $750 on an even cooler Stephen King signed/limited book. :fairy:

turtlex
05-25-2008, 02:31 AM
I wish I had that kind of money to burn on a cool comic <_<If I had that kind of money to burn on a cool comic, I'd spend about $50 of it on a non-graded sketch variant and the other $750 on an even cooler Stephen King signed/limited book. :fairy:

This is an interesting plan..... All kidding aside, I don't think this one will sell at all. Makes you wonder about the seller. I mean, he/she could have started bidding at 5.00 and think of all the people they'd have in the auction. He could have used a reserve if he/she wanted. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and still no bids with about 14 hours to go.

jhanic
05-25-2008, 07:48 AM
There are now two bids (but only one bidder). This guy must really want it!

John

jhanic
05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Up to three bids, all with the same bidder! Amazing!

John

turtlex
05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Too funny... People we could open an "eBay Training" class and make our fortunes.

Will be interesting to see what this one comes out to. 7 hours 27 mins to go as of this posting.

turtlex
05-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Okay, the comic sold for US $799.99. Just the one bidder, bidding three times, no outbidding.

Brice
05-26-2008, 03:47 AM
What was he doing... bidding against himself? :unsure: :lol:

turtlex
05-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Guess he really, reallY, realLY, reaLLY, reALLY, rEALLY, REALLY wanted it !!!

Brice
05-26-2008, 03:52 AM
It is good he didn't get sniped by himself. It would have been a shame if he lost it. :lol:

turtlex
05-26-2008, 04:00 AM
I would love to know what his bids were, if they were small jumps or if he was willing to go about a grand or something. Oh well, I am sure he's a happy guy.

Brice
05-26-2008, 04:02 AM
One would hope. I am just stunned by the multiple bids against himself.

jhanic
05-26-2008, 04:37 AM
He just kept upping his maximum bid to make sure no-one out-bid him. I can't help but wonder just how much his last bid was, which was what he was willing to pay for it.

John

Daghain
05-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I wonder if he was a friend of the seller, trying to up the price.

But I'm suspicious like that. :lol:

Matt
05-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Got screwed if he was. :lol:

turtlex
05-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah. Nice friend. Cost him the eBay listing fee and the percentage of the sale.

Thing is - I bet if the seller had started at something lower - they would have had so many people IN on the auction, it would have done decent money.

pickle
12-23-2008, 04:20 PM
If i was after board backing for my DT comics, what size would i need?

turtlex
12-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey Buddy - Good idea on protecting your comics.

You should both bag an board them. I assume since you're asking about the board you already have the bag.

A "standard" or "modern age" comic board is what you're looking for. Any comic book store should carry them. They usually come in packs of 100. Occassionaly I've found a comic book store that will sell them singly but not often. I buy enough comics that 100 isn't too huge a number, but still - its a lot of boards if you're buying only 4 or 5 comics a month.

Ultra-Pro is one brand, but there are others.

Basically, acid free and archival are your keywords.

"Fits Current size bags up to 6-7/8" x 10-1/2" are the actual dimensions.

Note : If you want to get really into it - there are multiple grades of bags and boards. Over at bagsunlimited they have a lot of supplies specific to their own bags/boards and they now carry a new one - - - "SUPER ACID-FREE - **NEW Material** - Our .40 point thick board is off-white, 100% alpha cellulose board and is buffered with calcium carbonate, which keeps the board from breaking down (indefinitely). Acid-free (alkaline 8.0-9.0), lignin-free, contaminant-free. Suitable for conservation. Meets Library of Congress Archival Standards for indefinite storage."

Hope this helps.

pickle
12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Thank you Turtlex, im only buying DT and Stand Comics so i am lucky if i buy 3 or 4 a month (including ones i have missed) so am a bit reluctent to pay £9.00 for a pack of 100, which is what they want in the local shop.

All my comics are allready bagged (I have the Acid Free Ultra Pro bags). I suppose i will have to see if there is any place that sell them in less numbers ( i only have like 15 comics).

Thanks again.

turtlex
12-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, that means one of two things....

...first, you really should be reading more comics!

...second, you really should be buying multiple copies of the comcis you are reading!

:D

Did your comics come in bags, but not backed?

I will check around my bookmarks and see if I can find any that sell a pack less that 100, but honestly haven't seen any in a long while. Let me look around though, who knows.

Aaron
12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Wow, all three of the shops that I use here sell bag/board combos individually. I figured it was a common practice.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and get the pack of 100, pickle. You have fifteen now, and if you're planning on continuing to purchase "King" comics you will eventually use most of the rest. There are still at least a couple of arcs left in the DT run, and probably four more arcs for The Stand. Then you have The Talisman, which will be released by Del Ray sometime in 2009 (if I'm remembering right) and "N.", which is another projected release for Marvel in 09, though I don't see that spanning more than 3-5 issues. And then there are the bonus issues being released with each arc of the DT series (Gilead Guidebook, End-World almanac, etc.) and the one-shots that may arise (Sorcerer #1). Not to mention that King may always consider allowing a graphic adaptation of the rest of the DT books as well. And you could always start buying variants, too, which could double or triple those numbers.

So yeah, if you're in for the long haul it would be smart to make the investment.

turtlex
12-24-2008, 08:03 AM
...and I'm working on a checklist for all DT and Stand comics... we're talking more than a hundred total if you count variants, second and third printings and one-offs.

pickle
12-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Im not a comic fan tbh

...second, you really should be buying multiple copies of the comcis you are reading!

I dont read them, which is weird i know, there just for my collection lol

No i got the bags myself, it was £2.99 for 100, which was good.

I will check around my bookmarks and see if I can find any that sell a pack less that 100, but honestly haven't seen any in a long while. Let me look around though, who knows.

pickle
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Wow, all three of the shops that I use here sell bag/board combos individually. I figured it was a common practice.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and get the pack of 100, pickle. You have fifteen now, and if you're planning on continuing to purchase "King" comics you will eventually use most of the rest. There are still at least a couple of arcs left in the DT run, and probably four more arcs for The Stand. Then you have The Talisman, which will be released by Del Ray sometime in 2009 (if I'm remembering right) and "N.", which is another projected release for Marvel in 09, though I don't see that spanning more than 3-5 issues. And then there are the bonus issues being released with each arc of the DT series (Gilead Guidebook, End-World almanac, etc.) and the one-shots that may arise (Sorcerer #1). Not to mention that King may always consider allowing a graphic adaptation of the rest of the DT books as well. And you could always start buying variants, too, which could double or triple those numbers.

So yeah, if you're in for the long haul it would be smart to make the investment.

nope all the comics in our shops just come as plain comics. I think i will get them then, and a storage box, next time i get paid.

...and I'm working on a checklist for all DT and Stand comics... we're talking more than a hundred total if you count variants, second and third printings and one-offs.

Fair enough, didnt realise it was that many lol

turtlex
12-25-2008, 01:26 AM
pickle, I would strongly suggest you get a "half" sized box to store your comics in.

There are "long" boxes and "short" aka "half" aka "compact" length comic storage boxes.

To me, the long ones, when full - are MUCH too heavy!

re: the checklist - oh you have no idea my friend! I'm trying to get them all CGC graded, it's quite the challenge!

Brainslinger
12-25-2008, 06:51 PM
One good thing about ordering on ebay is they usually come bagged and boarded. Of course you're paying for postage too, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

turtlex
12-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Good point, Brainslinger.

Also, if you order online via a subscription service or an online comic shop that orders via Previews - then they usually come bagged and boarded, as well. I order most of mine via an online shop. I don't really have a "local" comic shop that is easily accessible.

Most vendors at comic conventions also sell with bags/boards already. Though, you do have to pay to get into most comic cons.

Pickle- you really should read them. They're excellent stories and the art is simply awesome! If you don't want to read your individual copies because of keeping them in mint condition - then try to save up and get the hardcover collections.

And why aren't you reading more comics?! Come on, man! :couple:

pickle
12-26-2008, 03:47 AM
I dont know Turtlex, comics have just never appealed to me to be honest.

I think i will wait till i have gotten all the other series of the DT i have missed then read them.

turtlex
12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
We will convert you !!!!

Aaron
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
And turtlex is very persuasive...:scared:

gsvec
12-29-2008, 09:14 AM
And there's also the Locke & Key series by Joe Hill - if you decide to expand a bit! :D

Matt
12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh man, that is so dang cool too!

Got the omnibus coming up for auction soon. :drool:

pickle
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
And there's also the Locke & Key series by Joe Hill - if you decide to expand a bit! :D

I may just do that, do you know who its published by? is it marvel too?

gsvec
12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Nope, not Marvel. Locke & Key is published by IDC and the 2nd arc is scheduled to start up in January!

ETA: It's not IDC, it's IDW. Duh! You can order a subscription here (http://store.idwpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1513) if you'd like - but it's kinda pricey internationally . . .

Aaron
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
It is published by IDW Publishing. The first compilation "Welcome to Lovecraft" is available now (got it for Christmas and it is excellent) and the first issue of the second arc "Headgames" will be available in stores on January 28th. Subscriptions are available on IDW's site.

Click Here to Subscribe (http://store.idwpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1513)

Aaron
12-29-2008, 01:15 PM
JINX gsvec!

you owe me a Coke <_<

gsvec
12-29-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL. Here ya go, Aaron!!
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/kattofix/smilies/cokesmiley.gif

Matt
12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
It is published by IDW Publishing. The first compilation "Welcome to Lovecraft" is available now (got it for Christmas and it is excellent) and the first issue of the second arc "Headgames" will be available in stores on January 28th. Subscriptions are available on IDW's site.

Click Here to Subscribe (http://store.idwpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1513)

It really is very good. :clap:

turtlex
12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Quick note : I've been going through some of my comics to see if I want to try to get some CGC graded... and what I'm seeing is, the Mylar sleeves... I don't like them. They're more expensive than regular boards and bags, and the fit is so tight, that if you're not real careful - the comics sometimes get tiny bends in the corners from putting them in the mylar. Hmmm...

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 06:12 AM
pickle, I would strongly suggest you get a "half" sized box to store your comics in.

There are "long" boxes and "short" aka "half" aka "compact" length comic storage boxes.

To me, the long ones, when full - are MUCH too heavy!

re: the checklist - oh you have no idea my friend! I'm trying to get them all CGC graded, it's quite the challenge!

Half size box is a good call, those long boxes get way too heavy after a while, and if you move, the last thing you want to do is move heavy comic boxes.

I actually found a nice size box at Target made of plastic. Perfect size to hold a comic that is bagged and boarded. Keeps it protected from any accidental water damage (leaky pipe burst or something like that). I found one, but ever since they have been sold out.

gsvec
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
My new comic guy has these nice hard plastic sleeves. I, of course, have my signed Jae Lee DT in it (thanks again, Wiz!!) but am debating on buying more. I think they were somewhere between $1 - $1.50 each. I like that you can see the back cover, too, which doesn't happen with the boards.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/J%20-%20Comics/DSC00585.jpg http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/J%20-%20Comics/DSC00586.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/J%20-%20Comics/DSC00587.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/J%20-%20Comics/DSC00588.jpg

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Ohhhhh - those look nice, Gretchen. They have a built in spacing. I like that.

The Mylar I was talking about, not so much.

If I were you, I'd get a couple of the hard sleeves for my more valuable comics, and continue with the boards and bags for the others. Might get pricey if you get only those hard sleeves.

Very nice.

gsvec
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Exactly what I was thinking! The cost would prohibit getting them for EVERY comic, but I really love using them for the 'good' ones.

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
I just bought a cool frame for my newest signed comic - from Bags Unlimited. Thanks to Wiz and Dave, I'll have two signed DT comics and I wanted them framed in the same style, etc. They have nice frames with matting for about 33 dollars.

Matt
12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I bet they are going to turn out beautiful!

turtlex
12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I will post when I get them both up! I can't wait.

Rcampebll
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
im kinda new to the comic scene im really confused about some things like why people are keep saying the gunslinger born 3 or like treachery 6. When i bought them i was just one graphic novel am i missing out or is there just something im not getting

turtlex
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the site, Rcampebll !!

Sounds like what you have are the Graphic Novels. Basically, the graphic novels are compilations of all the individual comic issues in each arc of the story.

The story was FIRST put out as issues of a comic book. Once the "arc" or storyline was done, it was gathered together as a single Graphic Novel.

So far : Gunslinger Born ( Graphic Novel Available ), The Long Road Home ( Graphic Novel Available ), Treachery ( Graphic Novel coming out in April )...

The next comic arc is called The Fall of Gilead.

When someone indicated "Treachery 6" they're referring specifically to issue 6 of the Treachery comics.

jayson
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
It sounds as if you purchased the hardcover editions. Prior to the hardcover publication, each arc (ie. Gunslinger Born, Treachery, etc) were released as individual issues (often 5 or 6 issues per arc). The individual issues have supplemental material which is not in the hardcover editions.

turtlex
03-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Rcampebll - This link might help you out -

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6563

It's our checklist link ( includes a downloadable PDF link ) of all the Dark Tower comics and the graphic novels.

And here's a link to our Online King Comic Catalog where you can see a breakdown of all the issues ( including a cover shot ).

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7004

turtlex
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Comic Friends and Fans - Please feel free to use this thread for any general comic questions you might have, Dark Tower, Stand, or otherwise.

All questions welcomed!

We will merge other threads here as necessary.

Seymour_Glass
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Why is DC giving the new Batman and Robin book to judd Winick after Grant Morrison? Why?

This might be as bad as the Chuck Austen X-men.

Sam
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I rather like Judd Winick's writing. I think he will have a fresh take on what has been becoming a somewhat stale book.

Rcampebll
03-04-2009, 08:14 PM
wow you guys are really helpful thanks

turtlex
03-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Winick is considered a pretty good writer and is popular. For a while he was listed in the Top 10 Writers list at Wizard. He's had several good runs, including a real cool Green Lantern arc.

turtlex
03-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Rcampebll - We aim to please.
Feel free to ask anything.
It's all about community here.

:grouphug:

I'm going to move this thread into the newly created "General Comic Questions / Help Wanted" thread.

jcf817
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
For some reason, I was thinking about this this morning, and I thought, "It would be cool if DMG could get the rights to publish a limited edition of the Omnibus Dark Tower."

What do you think, Karen? Is that even a remote possibility?

turtlex
03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Karen doesn't come over here very often, but honestly - I'm not sure Marvel would do such a thing. They are kind of copyright whores with their titles. Then again, they're also very much the money folks...so if it could bring in the dough, they might.

.... here's a surprise, I'd buy a couple! :D

Cutter
03-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I was just wanting to know about the hardcovers of The Long Road Home and Treachery. The Born Gunslinger hardcover only had the comic arc but left out all of Robin Furth's extraneous Dark Tower text, basically her stories at the end of each issue.

I was wondering if The Long Road Home and Treachery also leave out stuff that was in the single issues?

I haven't bought the hardcovers yet and the reason why is they weren't as complete as the single issues.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

turtlex
03-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey Geoff - The Treachery HC isn't out yet, but is due in April. The Long Road Home had several different covers available ( regular, amazon exclusive, barnes and noble exclusive, and borders exclusive ) but the interior content was the same. I will double check but the LRH is the same as GB, if there is any at all, there is VERY LITTLE of the bonus content that was contained in the comics themselves.

FYI: I'll probably merge this with the Help Thread soon. :D

Cutter
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey Geoff - The Treachery HC isn't out yet, but is due in April. The Long Road Home had several different covers available ( regular, amazon exclusive, barnes and noble exclusive, and borders exclusive ) but the interior content was the same. I will double check but the LRH is the same as GB, if there is any at all, there is VERY LITTLE of the bonus content that was contained in the comics themselves.

FYI: I'll probably merge this with the Help Thread soon. :D
Fair enough, thanks!

nearlyprescient
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I've just recently begun to get back into the Dark Tower again, this time much more heavily.
I was thinking of picking up some of the comics, since they seemed pretty good from glances in local shops.
I'm probably midway through Wizard and Glass, and I understand that most of the comics relate to the events in this book.
Once I finish this one, would it be safe to start reading the comics without fear of encountering major spoilers, or is it best to wait until finishing a later installment?
any help would be appreciated, and I apologize if there's a thread of this variety already.

Wuducynn
04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
The comics are chock full of spoilers. Definitely NOT safe.

Daghain
04-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Agreed. Best to finish the series first.

turtlex
04-09-2009, 02:25 AM
I've just recently begun to get back into the Dark Tower again, this time much more heavily.
I was thinking of picking up some of the comics, since they seemed pretty good from glances in local shops.
I'm probably midway through Wizard and Glass, and I understand that most of the comics relate to the events in this book.
Once I finish this one, would it be safe to start reading the comics without fear of encountering major spoilers, or is it best to wait until finishing a later installment?
any help would be appreciated, and I apologize if there's a thread of this variety already.

nearlyprescient - Welcome to the site!

I will have to agree with the others who replied to your post. The comics are just jammed with spoilers from all the books. Even in the interviews, essays, etc. They're always mentioning other things and foreshadowing. Best to wait until you're all caught up.

( I will likely move this thread into the "help" thread soon ).

turtlex
04-14-2009, 01:25 PM
This thread will be used to answer all general comic questions, or to ask for help with your collecting.

pixiedark76
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I think you should read all 7 before you read any of the comics. You will be lost and won't appreciate the comics as much.

pixiedark76
04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen the slipcases that will hold the Dark Tower Comics. I was told that putting the comics in these slipcases is not a good idea because they could cause the comics to be damaged; that the best way to store comics is to keep them bagged and boarded.
What do you guys think? Is anyone going to get the slipcases?

Brice
04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a slipcase for the first arc. It holds the comics both bagged and boarded if I remember correctly. I'd go check, but I am incredibly lazy. :lol:

turtlex
04-20-2009, 02:29 AM
The slipcases are nice, but really, not necessary. The best way to preserve your comics is the basic bag and board. Acid free boards are best.

I guess it depends if you want to keep your comics on a bookshelf or not. If you do, then a slipcase might be a good idea. Again, they're not a necessity.

I keep mine in a comic storage box - plastic corrigated, not cardboard ( the plastic ones just seem sturdier to me ).

If you want to display your comics, there are a couple of places that sell frame kits. ( I get mine at www.bagsunlimited.com )

I will probably merge this with the General Help thread soon.

Mordred Deschain
04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
In the last year...I have bought over 500 bags and backboards for my comic collection.

turtlex
04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Mord - My Hero!

e_taylor
05-23-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm not real big into the comics, so this may be a stupid question.

But, what are the chances of Marvel doing a super-omnibus edition of all the Arcs of the Dark Tower series when the story is complete?

turtlex
05-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Eric -

I haven't heard even an inkling of anything like that.

From talking to my few comic sellers, each successive DT arc has sold fewer copies than the previous. Each of the HardCover books has done okay, however.

I wouldn't count on a super-set.

Sam
05-23-2009, 08:06 AM
The chances of Marvel selling a full omnibus are very slim. I know of just a very few omnibus style releases and none of them have had the number of issues that the DT series will have at the end. The largest I know of off hand is the Alias Omnibus and it contained 29 seperate issues. The Dark Tower series by Marvel will be in seven parts with each part having at least 5 issues, plus there has been at least 1 one shot. That means at a minimum there will be 36 issues (and I KNOW Born had six issues so it's really 37). I think that's just too much for Marvel to commit to one hard bound volume.

pixiedark76
05-30-2009, 08:02 AM
I was wondering if anybody ordered any signed copies of Treachery on the signed page. I placed my order back in March, and I still have not got my copy! Did anybody receive their copy yet?

turtlex
05-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I ordered, but no, I haven't got my copy yet either.

turtlex
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Update : Just an FYI - I sent a note to Shawn at the Signed Page and he said he just updated the News page on his site, but that basically "The books are enroute to Robin right now. I don't know how long it will take her to sign them; it all depends on her work load at the time."

chibul
05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Is this to be an ongoing series? Or will the entire series end with the fall of Jericho Hill? It seems so much more could be done...

turtlex
05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
chibul - Welcome to the site.

So far, they're just saying the next arc is JH.

Nothing more has been announced.

( I'll probably merge this with the help thread soon )

CyberGhostface
05-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Jericho Hill is the final arc of the series, although there will undoubtedly be more Stephen King comics cranked out.

J/w, what else is there left to cover after the events of Jericho Hill? I suppose there could be some random adventures Roland had while pursuing Walter, but it would probably grow tiring eventually.

Also, welcome to the boards. :)

Mordred Deschain
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
This thread will be used to answer all general comic questions, or to ask for help with your collecting.

Will you please kick me in the head since I am having trouble finding my first run 4 part Wolverine series by Frank Miller? :orely:

Jericho Hill is the final arc of the series, although there will undoubtedly be more Stephen King comics cranked out.

they are doing The Stand right now also.

e_taylor
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Can anybody with access to the CGC cencus tell me what an Avengers #57 in the 6.5 -7.0 range would be worth?

I found one at a thrift shop and am trying to decide if its worth sending away to get CGC graded or if its better to look into selling it as is.

turtlex
06-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Will you please kick me in the head since I am having trouble finding my first run 4 part Wolverine series by Frank Miller? :orely:

I am sure you have it bagged, boarded and carefully filed away!

Right?

RIGHT?!?!?!

Brice
06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Yes, just PM me your address and send me a roundtrip ticket and I'll be happy to oblige you, my friend. :couple:

Seriously...sucks that you can't find that. :(

jhanic
06-01-2009, 03:39 PM

they are doing The Stand right now also.

Also, The Talisman is supposed to be starting this year.

John

<Ă´> bango skank <Ă´>
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
will someone do me a massive favor by banging the order of the DT comics, as they were released, here for me. my internet searches regarding this have been a complete mind fuck. all i wanna do is buy the bloody things.

Brice
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
If you look through The King Comics Catalog in this forum you should find all you need, man. :)

e_taylor
06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Can anybody with access to the CGC cencus tell me what an Avengers #57 in the 6.5 -7.0 range would be worth?

I found one at a thrift shop and am trying to decide if its worth sending away to get CGC graded or if its better to look into selling it as is.

Just bumping this because I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle yesterday. Anyone?

Matt
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I am not sure Eric.

And we actually have a check list to buy all the comics bango, have a look at the main forum and you will find it.

One for The Stand as well.

turtlex
06-02-2009, 12:45 PM

Just bumping this because I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle yesterday. Anyone?

Eric - I did miss it yesterday, sorry.

I'm checking for you now.

Give me a few minutes.

turtlex
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Just as an FYI : Here's the information I was able to gather :

According to the CGC Census -

If you're looking at Avengers # 57 from Marvel Comics 1968 dated 10/68 --

There are currently 424 graded copies out there.

There are about 40 of them in the graded 6.0 to 7.0 range. The majority of the graded copies are actually graded HIGHER.. including one graded 9.8.

The most common grading is an 8.5... with 9.2's coming a close second. There are about 60 copies of each out there.

CGC does not offer an actual price.

To get the price - I went over and checked the ComicPriceGuide.com site.

They list the a CGC graded 6.5 value of approximately $50.40.

Honestly, it would cost you near or more than that to submit it for CGC grading - with the grading costs and shipping there / back to you.

e_taylor
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks Pam! :couple:

turtlex
06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Glad to help out.

wizardsrainbow
06-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Ok, I need some advice from you all on the Dark Tower comic series. Here is the situation:

As some of you know, I have a good relationship with Jae Lee and he has signed every single issue of every single variant, sketch book, guide book etc since the series began for me. Now that Richard Isanove has taken over the pencils for the series, I just don't know whether I should be buying all the variants going forward. Now Jae did the cover of the "trade" edition for the first Fall of Gilead, but it looks like he has no part in upcoming issues. I will buy the regular issues 'cause I love the story, but I don't think ir proper for me to send all of Richard's stuff to Jae to sign...that would be rude IMO. Now Jae will be back for the final ARC, and I am sure he will sign all those issues for me, but I feel like I will have a huge hole in my signed collection for all the stuff Richard will be doing. Do you see what I'm trying to get at?

One option I have is to try to get Richard to sign all of his work, but my contact with Richard is a little strained as I pestered him for weeks about signing the Grand Prize in the giveaway.

I am without a job at present, so I'd love to save $$ not having to buy the upcoming variants, but it feels then that my collection will be incomplete.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

turtlex
06-10-2009, 06:58 AM
David ( please pardon me while I drool over your issues ) - Wow, you have the coolest collection. Jae is amazing.

I think you're right about not having Jae sign anything he didn't participate in. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's the thing that I find happening with the variants though - they're getting harder to find because not as many comic shops are buying the necessary number of "regular" issues to qualify for the variants ( variant - 1:25 / sketch - 1:75 ).

I'm having a tough time finding the sketch issues in particular ( 1:75 ) CGC graded because of this. I found a place to pre-order, but they're way pricey.

This issue is going to drive the price of the variants up, and they'll get harder to find in general.

It's a tough call, but if I were you - I would probably stick to the Jae Lee comics and make that the focus of your comic collection ( only worry about finding the variants when Jae is participating ).

You'll have all the retail issues ( including the rest of Fall of Gilead ), but the Jae Lee issues will be signed.

Regarding Mr. Isanove - If you could get Richard Isanove to sign them by emailing him or whatever, that would be cool but another option would be comic conventions - and he does comic conventions sometimes, so if you had them you could always plan to get them signed when he's at a comic con.

So, if you DO decide to get all the issues including variants - its not completely out of the question that you could get them all signed eventually, using comic cons as an avenue for getting Isanove.

( sorry, i just realized this probably isn't much help at all )

And I'd be happy to help out any way I could.

wizardsrainbow
06-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Pam-

Thank you. Sound advice as I expected from you.

pixiedark76
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I am still waiting for my signed copy of Treachery from the signed page. :pullhair: I AM REALLY STARTING TO GET PISSED OFF! The book was out in stores in April and it is now July! The last I heard Robin Furth was supposed to sign and send out the books. Come on! How long does this take!:wtf:If Robin is to busy to sign books that she promised, maybe she should not do this anymore! The money was taken out of my checking account months ago, and still no book!
This is starting to remind me of Cemetery Dance! Actually this is worse than Cemetery Dance because at least the books can't be bought in stores. I could have had Treachery months ago, but I bought it off the signed page.
THIS IS DEFINITELY THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER USE THE SIGNED PAGE!

jhanic
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Pixie, have you tried emailing them? I purchased (a while ago, I admit) a couple items from them and never had a problem. Maybe they sent the book and the Post Office has lost it (that just happened to me with one of the Dark Tower sketch variants from an eBay seller).

I'm not trying to defend them, understand. I just think there may be another explanation.

John

turtlex
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Pixie - When last I had contact with them, they'd indicated the books had been sent for signatures, and they were waiting on the sig and return.

I ordered as well, still waiting.

This is the last update from the Signed Page News :
May 30, 2009 -- A Status Update: The Dark Tower hardcovers have been shipped to Robin Furth as of a few days ago. When she has an opportunity to sign them she will and will ship them back. I don't know how long that will take but the most current update about them will be posted here at all times.

CyberGhostface
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
J/w, what DT comic posts should be in the general discussion thread and what posts would be ok for their own threads?

obscurejude
07-09-2009, 12:24 PM
This is a great idea for a topic Cyber. :thumbsup: Because I have no clue in regards to the comics specifically or many other things generally. Maybe some light will be shed on the subject for us dimmer folken.

Daghain
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I would say if you don't see a topic here that you want to discuss, start one. If management feels it belongs with a topic that is similar, we'll merge it. Or, if you want, ask one of us first. We don't mind.

I don't really think there are any hard and fast rules. For example, I'd put money down that someone is going to put this thread into the general questions thread. :)

turtlex
07-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Cyber - It's hard to answer that without an example, my friend.

We definitely don't want to be starting a thread for each character, but it might be a good idea to start a general type thread for discussion on individual characters.

I can do that, no problem.

It would also be a good catch-all for the individual threads... I could merge the character discussions into one thread and hopefully, that would spur discussion even further.

What sort of thread were you thinking about? Did you have something specific in mind?

ETA: And yep, Daggers is right, I'll probably merge this into the other thread once it's talked out. :thumbsup:

CyberGhostface
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Nothing off the top of my head...maybe a thread talking about Furth or something.

turtlex
07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I think that would be fine. :thumbsup:

Why not make it something like Robin Furth and Peter David / Dark Tower Comic Writers ....

Want me to start it? Or feel free to yourself, CG.

CyberGhostface
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
You definitely can if you want :)--at this point, given my personal feelings towards David and Furth, I don't think I should be the one to start the main topic for them.

turtlex
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Done !!

Robin Furth and Peter David / Dark Tower Comic Writers (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8729)

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
So I had started collecting the new Thor series. I think it's pretty cool. But can some one tell me why they went from the new series being at issue # 13 or 14 to #600?

turtlex
07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
So I had started collecting the new Thor series. I think it's pretty cool. But can some one tell me why they went from the new series being at issue # 13 or 14 to #600?

According to Marvel, they went back to classic issue numbering with the Mega-Stan-Lee Issue # 600.

"The mighty God of Thunder hits a major milestone! THOR goes back to its classic numbering for this issue 600 mega-event, and even Stan “The Man” Lee joins the party with an all-new story!"

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM

According to Marvel, they went back to classic issue numbering with the Mega-Stan-Lee Issue # 600.

"The mighty God of Thunder hits a major milestone! THOR goes back to its classic numbering for this issue 600 mega-event, and even Stan “The Man” Lee joins the party with an all-new story!"

Ok, so I got issue 600 and current (sorry plus the new issues 1-14 or whatever), how does issue 599 of the original series end? I mean this is like a collector's nightmare. you start collecting the original Thor you get to issue 650 and then something flashes back and you realize you missed this 14 issue (mini-series, because what else can you really call it now?) bump. Or you go to sell it and the guy you are selling it to is gona now give you a couple thousand less because you don't have those 14 issues. Or hell, maybe you are reading it and you get to issue 599 and then you go to issue 600 and it starts with Loki's a woman, Asgard is in Kentucky, Thor is banished, the great hammer chipped, and all the Asgardians are led by Baldar who has stupidly taken them to Latveria where they are guests of the great DR. DOOM. Sorry is that a spoiler, does anyone care?

Sam
07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Actually (and I didn't collect Thor before all this so I may be wrong), from my understanding the original series didn't stop with 599. No series would stop at a 99 number unless it was planned to stop there like Cerebus stopped with issue 300 because the x00th issue is a HUGE marketing device.

What happened with Thor was the series was cancelled, the restarted, then mini-seriesed, and all kinds of stuff. when you take all of the Thor comics and add them all up, it got the series to it's 600th edition. HUGE milestone, but how do you market that when the series was restarted at issue #1. You go back to the original numbering and instead of issuing #15 you issue #600. So in the grand scheme of things, issue #14 IS issue #599. I hope that helps, and I hope I got it right.

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Actually (and I didn't collect Thor before all this so I may be wrong), from my understanding the original series didn't stop with 599. No series would stop at a 99 number unless it was planned to stop there like Cerebus stopped with issue 300 because the x00th issue is a HUGE marketing device.

What happened with Thor was the series was cancelled, the restarted, then mini-seriesed, and all kinds of stuff. when you take all of the Thor comics and add them all up, it got the series to it's 600th edition. HUGE milestone, but how do you market that when the series was restarted at issue #1. You go back to the original numbering and instead of issuing #15 you issue #600. So in the grand scheme of things, issue #14 IS issue #599. I hope that helps, and I hope I got it right.

It does, except I really just wanted to start collection a new series now I have to deal with #600 after #14 or whatever. I honestly can't remember what # they left off at.

turtlex
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey All -

Just FYI : I got a shipping notice from The Signed Page for my Robin Furth signed Dark Tower books.

Mordred Deschain
08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
:thumbsup:

damn damn damn...I can't believe I missed Marvel doing the Trojan War. Anyone know if the title of the comic is The Iliad or The Trojan War?

turtlex
08-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Hey Mord -

The title of the comic is The Trojan War.

Looks like the series started in May 2009.

The current issue looks to be # 4.

Issue # 5 is released on September 2, 2009.

The covers are done by Dennis Calero and they're very cool. He did one of my favorite Dark Tower variants.

You should be able to get the back issues without too much trouble. Let me know if you can't and I'll see what I can find.

Blurbs from first 4 issues :

# 1 - Based on the Epic Cycle and other ancient sources. This is the tale not told in The Iliad and The Odyssey of Zeus’ plans with Themis, the god of justice, to bring about the Trojan War to kill off an excess of mankind. This is a fascinating exploration of the very roots of the most famous conflict in antiquity. Brought to you by the lauded team of Roy Thomas scripter and Miguel Sepulveda responsible for the recent Illustrated adaptation of The Iliad. This is the invaluable companion piece to those aforementioned twin pillars of Greek literature that have withstood the test of ages. Don’t miss this first issue!

# 2 - The war begins! The Greeks send envoys to the Trojans to demand the return of Helen, but they are rebuffed. The Greeks land at Troy, led by Achilles, and drive the Trojans back. But Achilles rushes into the city alone and is slain by an arrow shot by Paris. This war, it seems, will never end.

# 3 - This is a truly crucial issue as the man whose actions began the greatest conflict of ancient times, Paris, is slain in battle, leaving the woman he adored alone. And the invading Greeks make their most daring attempt to infiltrate the city of Troy and conquer it with—the Trojan Horse!

# 4 - At last—an awe-inspiring retelling of perhaps the most famous scene from ancient Greek literature! The Trojans are unsure what to do with the wooden horse left inside their city’s walls. Some want to burn it, others to dedicate it to the goddess Athena. Then, the Greek warriors emerge from the horse and sack Troy itself! The triumphant Greek army sails away as a vengeful Athena plans to destroy them on the high seas! Thus is born the legend of—the Trojan Horse!

Mordred Deschain
08-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey Mord -

The title of the comic is The Trojan War.

Looks like the series started in May 2009.

The current issue looks to be # 4.

Issue # 5 is released on September 2, 2009.

The covers are done by Dennis Calero and they're very cool. He did one of my favorite Dark Tower variants.

You should be able to get the back issues without too much trouble. Let me know if you can't and I'll see what I can find.

Blurbs from first 4 issues :

# 1 - Based on the Epic Cycle and other ancient sources. This is the tale not told in The Iliad and The Odyssey of Zeus’ plans with Themis, the god of justice, to bring about the Trojan War to kill off an excess of mankind. This is a fascinating exploration of the very roots of the most famous conflict in antiquity. Brought to you by the lauded team of Roy Thomas scripter and Miguel Sepulveda responsible for the recent Illustrated adaptation of The Iliad. This is the invaluable companion piece to those aforementioned twin pillars of Greek literature that have withstood the test of ages. Don’t miss this first issue!

# 2 - The war begins! The Greeks send envoys to the Trojans to demand the return of Helen, but they are rebuffed. The Greeks land at Troy, led by Achilles, and drive the Trojans back. But Achilles rushes into the city alone and is slain by an arrow shot by Paris. This war, it seems, will never end.

# 3 - This is a truly crucial issue as the man whose actions began the greatest conflict of ancient times, Paris, is slain in battle, leaving the woman he adored alone. And the invading Greeks make their most daring attempt to infiltrate the city of Troy and conquer it with—the Trojan Horse!

# 4 - At last—an awe-inspiring retelling of perhaps the most famous scene from ancient Greek literature! The Trojans are unsure what to do with the wooden horse left inside their city’s walls. Some want to burn it, others to dedicate it to the goddess Athena. Then, the Greek warriors emerge from the horse and sack Troy itself! The triumphant Greek army sails away as a vengeful Athena plans to destroy them on the high seas! Thus is born the legend of—the Trojan Horse!

Thank you!! cool, means I only have to go for a few back issues! I think my avatar is the cover of one of the issues or the upcoming one in Sept.

turtlex
08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Always happy to help out. :couple:

If you grab them up - pop on over to our What are you currently reading? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2741) thread and let us know how you like them.

Sam
08-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't forget about a series called Age of Bronze either. I'm not sure if it's still being produced, but the writer Eric Shanower had the idea of doing the entire story of The Iliad in comic form.

Oriza!
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I need some help.
Is the following correct?:
There are 3 hardback books containing 3 sets of comics. (The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home, and Treachery)... and a 4th to be coming soon (Fall of Gilead)??
I want to purchase a few to start - but I'm totally overwhelmed by the listings on ebay and amazon. I have looked at a thread here that apparently lists all of the comics, but that a huge and confusing list.
I'd appreciate any clarification.
Thanks!

CyberGhostface
09-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the boards. :)

Currently, it's:

The Gunslinger Born #1
The Gunslinger Born #2
The Gunslinger Born #3
The Gunslinger Born #4
The Gunslinger Born #5
The Gunslinger Born #6
The Gunslinger Born #7

Gunslinger's Guidebook

The Long Road Home #1
The Long Road Home #2
The Long Road Home #3
The Long Road Home #4
The Long Road Home #5

End-World Almanac

Treachery #1
Treachery #2
Treachery #3
Treachery #4
Treachery #5
Treachery #6

Guide to Gilead

Sorcerer #1

The Fall of Gilead #1
The Fall of Gilead #2
The Fall of Gilead #3
The Fall of Gilead #4

The titles in italics are companion guide books and not part of the main series.

AIMB
09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
So how many graphic novel hardbacks are out? Two right? Or am I missing one?

CyberGhostface
09-21-2009, 06:26 AM
There's three right now.

Rahfa
09-21-2009, 06:51 AM
I need some help.
Is the following correct?:
There are 3 hardback books containing 3 sets of comics. (The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home, and Treachery)... and a 4th to be coming soon (Fall of Gilead)??
I want to purchase a few to start - but I'm totally overwhelmed by the listings on ebay and amazon. I have looked at a thread here that apparently lists all of the comics, but that a huge and confusing list.
I'd appreciate any clarification.
Thanks!

So funny...until this past Saturday I was in actually this situation - I had no idea what to buy. But a local comic store advertised a 50 percent off sale, and on a whim I stopped in and was able to get them all.

But yeah, there are three DT Hardcovers (and one Stand HC). Off Amazon, it would cost you no more than $75 (less, actually) to be all caught up with the DT.

I just read them all, and while there is a slight decrease in story quality once they moved off SK's original story and came up with their own, they're all really good. I was pretty impressed.

Oriza!
09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
CyberGhostface - Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the list. It all makes sense now!

turtlex
09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Oriza! - welcome to the site. If you check the beginning of the Comic Tower, you'll find a check list there if you want to start collecting ( it lists the different covers and printings ). Note, please, that the individual comic issues have bonus material that is not included in the hardcovers ( interviews, essays and maps ).

CG - thanks!!! :couple:

AIMB
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I have "The Long Road home" and "Treachory" what am I missing?

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I am wanting to purchase a Fall of Gilead #4 1:75 variant. I've missed on two eBay auctions. Will pay $70 shipped.

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
AIMB - Here's a link to the complete checklist for Dark Tower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6563)...

The arcs so far -

Gunslinger Born
The Long Road Home
Treachery
( current - on last issue ) Fall of Gilead
( upcoming ) The Battle of Jericho Hill

AIMB
09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Okay thanks a lot. I don't know :doh:how I missed that but I'm gonna pick it up this weekend.

turtlex
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Always happy to help out. Let us know how you like them!

wizardsrainbow
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I am wanting to purchase a Fall of Gilead #4 1:75 variant. I've missed on two eBay auctions. Will pay $70 shipped.

I finally won both Fall of Gilead #4 variants for $37! Yipee. Now my collection is complete once again.

turtlex
10-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Gosh, David, that's a great price. Congrats!

wizardsrainbow
10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes, I thought so too. I lost two eBay auctions when they went over $75, so I put my snipe in very high and lucked out. This one compensates for my paying $90 for all 3 versions of Fall of Gilead #5 the day before they were released.

ola
10-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a question as an inexperienced comics subscriber: how early do you usually go and subscribe to a particular series (at the shop)? Do they have numbers the shop can order by without them needing to look anything up, and where can I find the ordering numbers?

I started late for the Fall of Gilead, and it took a while for the guy to figure out how to order them anyway...he was very confusing. :/ Sorry if these seem like obvious questions!

Sam
10-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Ola, it really sounds like you need to find another shop. Is this a rick and mortar shop you deal with or oneover the internet.

As for when I subscribe to a particular series, it has more to do with the series. If it's a limited series like the Dark Tower books, I sometimes wait until the graphic novel/trade paperback edition comes out just to save money. If it's a regular/ongoing series, I subscribe as soon as possible and look for any pertinent back issues.

If your comic guy is having a hard time figuring out how to order something published by Marvel or DC (or any other comic publisher for that matter) then I suggest you look for another comic supplier unless this is a really good friend AND you're getting a really good discount.

Daghain
10-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Ola, talk to my guy:

www.g-mart.com - you can email him directly at duck@g-mart.com

I don't know for sure if he can ship overseas, but if he can and he's half as good as he is with his US orders, you're gold. :D

turtlex
10-16-2009, 12:54 AM
ola - Great advice above from both Daggers and Sam.

Another place to check is MyComicShop (www.mycomicshop.com) - that's where I get my stuff. You actually handle all the ordering yourself. You get access to each PREVIEWS magazine and get to pick exactly which titles you want, and how many copies. For an additional fee, they'll also bag and board them for you. I believe g-mart does the same.

If you don't want to subscribe - you can just order comics from MyComicShop's back order stock - which is substantial ! They even get the variant covers - though I've found that you can usually get the variants cheaper on eBay.

Let me know if there's something you can't get or find - I'll see what I can do.

My local comic shop is sort of stinky. I try to be loyal to him, but honestly, he doesn't give a discount and he never has supplies in stock ( a major peev of mine ).

Any good online order house should give you a discount, how much depends on how much you buy each month.

What I love about MyComicShop is that since you have access to PREVIEWS, you can order t-shirts, posters, busts, etc - as well as comics.

Good luck and feel free to post and ask any questions! :grouphug:

Daghain
10-16-2009, 01:01 AM

g-mart bags and boards for shipping - only Jerome has surpassed them in shipping protection in my personal experience. :lol:

ETA: And, you can "subscribe" to the comics, so he'll send you the series as they come in. Since I'm inherently lazy, this is a really nice no-brainer feature for me. :lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-16-2009, 05:29 AM
(OOOOOw. This is strange territory for me. I've never been in here before)

Stephen King & Peter Straub Talk Comic Books...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091015-king-straub.html

ola
10-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you very much for all the info and recommendations.

Yeah, that thing is happening where I want to support the tiny shop down the street, but there's been enough problems ordering comics that I think I'll try one of the other options listed here.

At least the local shop is still good for Magic: the Gathering and board games. :D I don't have to feel too guilty..

Patrick
10-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Good luck, ola.

Our local shop is great and it's easy to subscribe to anything.

wizardsrainbow
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
OK, I should know this but don't.

In the Jericho Hill arc of Dark Tower comics, I have seen the color variants for issues 1 and 2. Did Jae Lee do black and white variants for this arc (like he did with the earlier ones)? If so, can someone point me to images of his variants in Jericho Hill. Thanks

turtlex
12-27-2009, 11:42 AM
David - I've been having the hardest time getting info on the variants for the King Comics Catalog.

From what I can suss out ... I cannot find any information on a SKETCH variant for the Battle of Jericho Hill arc. Each issue has a REGULAR and a VARIANT listed at Marvel, but no sketch variant.

If I find out different, I'll let you know.

Sam
12-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Pam, did you check Things From Another World? tfaw.com

If there's a variant, chances are it'll be listed there.

wizardsrainbow
12-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks Pam and Sam.

lophophoras
12-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Guys, I have looked as well. I do not see any info on sketch variants for Jericho Hill.

wizardsrainbow
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Just as well for my wallet!

turtlex
12-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey All - Yup. Checked Marvel, tfaw.com, DF and a couple of other places. No sign of a sketch variant for Jericho Hill. And yeah, I'm with David - sort of saves me a boatload since I try for CGCs for each!

Patrick
12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
What are you guys paying, generally speaking, for the color variants these days, including any shipping charges?

I'm not talking CGC rated, Pam, but feel free to chime in. It's always interesting info.

turtlex
12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Patrick - Variant Covers from Jericho Hill are listed for around 10 dollars at tfaw.com and you can usually get them around that at eBay as well.

I "subscribe" to a service to ensure I get 9.8 CGC copies of the variants and typically pay around $60 dollars for each of those.

Patrick
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Patrick - Variant Covers from Jericho Hill are listed for around 10 dollars at tfaw.com and you can usually get them around that at eBay as well.

I "subscribe" to a service to ensure I get 9.8 CGC copies of the variants and typically pay around $60 dollars for each of those.
Thanks, Pam. I assume tfaw.com charges additional for S&H. I ask because I pay my local shop $12 per color variant. It seems a little bit high in this market, but I have to remind myself that there is no shipping involved, and no hassle either.

turtlex
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks, Pam. I assume tfaw.com charges additional for S&H. I ask because I pay my local shop $12 per color variant. It seems a little bit high in this market, but I have to remind myself that there is no shipping involved, and no hassle either.

Oh, yeah, shipping and handling - they do USPS first class.

Honestly, if your shop is getting you a good, sharp edged, no creased, clean copy - I'd get it from them.

Patrick
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh, yeah, shipping and handling - they do USPS first class.

Honestly, if your shop is getting you a good, sharp edged, no creased, clean copy - I'd get it from them.
I agree. Plus I like to support local business. Plus I'm lazy. :unsure:

I just checked out the site for the first time just now, nice website. Glad to now know of it. Thanks!

Sam
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Dude, you're getting better than a good deal from your shop. You can't figure NO shipping and handling because you have to get to the store, but you can figure it's likely less than what you'd pay from TFAW or some other store. The advantage you gain is you can refuse to purchase if the condition isn't up to your standards, and your book isn't going through the postal system (which we ALL know has killed many a mint condition item over the years from comics to books to one-of-a-kind items). That has to count for LOTS right there.

Patrick
12-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm in full agreement, Sam. (Except that getting to the store is not really a cost as it is in a convenient area of town I'd be visiting anyway.) Thanks.