PDA

View Full Version : Smoke and Mirrors Anyone.. Anyone...?

shnnrc01
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Well folks anyone hand over hard earned cash to CD for their new upcoming Signed/Limited Smoke + Mirrors (including work by Joe Hill).

Room 217 Caretaker
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Well folks anyone hand over hard earned cash to CD for their new upcoming Signed/Limited Smoke + Mirrors (including work by Joe Hill).

I haven't yet but I am.

I'm waiting on confirmation of who is and isn't signing the book.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Sorry. Not going to bite.

wizardsrainbow
04-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Steering clear of CD period.

Cutter
04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I bit because there are a lot of authors I love that are in that list, and if Hill and Gaiman sign it, then I want it.

What I did was pre-order it from Horror Mall. I don't have to pay a thing until it's published. So I'm reserved for a copy but I'm not going to pay until Horror Mall actually has the book in hand. (also it was $15 cheaper).

Camelot books also does this. You can reserve a copy and not pay until it's released.

Earth's Militant Mind
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Is "Smoke and Mirrors" the name of the book or is CD describing their sales practices?

shnnrc01
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
nope its describing their sales practices,oops,sorry i mean the name of the book.my bad!!:wtf:

Patrick
04-15-2009, 08:52 PM
:lol:

I really would like to have that book as well, primarily because of Gaiman and Hill. However when I received the email announcement, I realized that I just don't have it in me to pay Cemetery Dance for yet another book that I won't see for a couple years, if ever. Any other publisher and I would have gone for it.

Now that Geoff has reminded me with his post that there are other "pay later" options, I'll likely order from one of those.

wizardsrainbow
04-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Agreed Patrick. And Geoff, thanks for the reminder that there are other "sources" out there.

dyetye
04-16-2009, 06:03 AM
So, HorrorMall...this is the first I have ever heard of them? They don't charge you ahead of time? Is this a good place to do business with? I get leary using new sources that I've never heard of. But, I also found BROKEN ON THE WHEEL OF SEX by Jack Ketchum to pre-order as well from them...

e_taylor
04-16-2009, 06:36 AM
So, HorrorMall...this is the first I have ever heard of them? They don't charge you ahead of time? Is this a good place to do business with? I get leary using new sources that I've never heard of. But, I also found BROKEN ON THE WHEEL OF SEX by Jack Ketchum to pre-order as well from them...

Horror Mall is the best place to order new books online. Its run by Larry Roberts of Bloodletting Press and Shane Staley of Delirium Books. Every aspect of their business model is designed perfectly for collectors and readers. Decent prices, layaways, pre-orders without pre-payment, no overcharge on shipping, great quality packing on shipments whether its a $1000 limited or a $10 paperback, no hassles if theres a problem with your order. In short, its a great place to do business!

If/when you order, when you get to the checkout just select "Bill Me", and then they send you an invoice when the book is ready to ship.

dyetye
04-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks. I didn't see a Bill Me place, but I went ahead and pre-ordered anyways...

carlosdetweiller
04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Horror Mall is the best place to order new books online.

Horror Mall really screwed up my one and only order with them. It took weeks to straighten out. Of course this was a very long time ago and I know things like that are bound to happen. Still I've never had the desire to try again and I will stick with Camelot Books.

e_taylor
04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
:wtf: and here I am talking them up like theres no tomorrow! I've only ever had one problem, a lost package, and they sent a replacement + bonus books right away.

Patrick
04-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks. I didn't see a Bill Me place, but I went ahead and pre-ordered anyways...
I didn't see a Bill Me Later option either. I ordered the book and used the Layaway option. Then I added a note to them that I meant for them to bill me when the book is released, if ever.

Patrick
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I received an email today from Horror Mall regarding the layaway plan. Essentially it's five monthly payments of $28 each. $140 total (including shipping). I input my paypal and it will debit automatically each month until done. I'm sure the book won't be released in four months, but it still feels better than paying CD the full 100% upfront.

e_taylor
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Yah, I'm not sure why the "Bill Me" option wasn't available. At least if CD goes under you'll get your money back this way.

Cutter
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Yah, I'm not sure why the "Bill Me" option wasn't available. At least if CD goes under you'll get your money back this way.
It's possible the option is not available for new customers? Maybe you have to have purchased a book through them first? I don't know as I've always had that option, but I buy a lot of books through them.

dyetye
04-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, my card was charged, but I don't mind...i'll just have some splaining to do in a few months...but it could be one of those, "I told you several months ago that I was pre-ordering a couple books" type responses:P

Patrick
09-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I've now completely prepaid Horror Mall for this book through the layaway plan. Anyone hear anything about when it might be released?

On a side note, I find it confusing that CD is releasing a limited edition called SMOKE AND MIRRORS that features a story written by Neil Gaiman while Subterranean is releasing a limited edition called SMOKE AND MIRRORS that is written by Neil Gaiman.

willie3
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Patrick, if memory serves me correctly, Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors was originally published in 1998.

Was more than a little surprised to see SubPress doing a limited edition, but I would assume they are picking up where Hill House left off.

As for CD, you would have thought they could have come up with a more original name for the book, especially since they are so original with the delayed publishing excuses.

And yes, I ordered and paid CD for the book in April of this year.

Dolan
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I pre-ordered the book through Camelot as well...

thegreattim
11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm going to bump this one from the last page on up. Being a newbie here, I may have missed something elsewhere, but has anyone heard anymore about this book? There's been no chatter for over a year (on this thread anyway), and the production page on the book still shows it as "being designed".

It looks pretty interesting and I think would make a cool match to my long anticipated Screamplays that I pre-ordered some time back.

Patrick
11-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I was just thinking over the weekend that there are probably a few books I have on order that I can no longer name, but are still out there bought and paid for. This was one of them. Thank you, Tim.

Hopefully Brian Freeman can give us an update, and ideally it will be good news.

Patrick
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Has anyone heard anything on Cemetery Dance's SMOKE AND MIRRORS?

MLG
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Here is what Brian posted on the Cemetery Dance thread on December 16th. I have the Limited and the Trade on order.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
We haven't set a "firm" pub date for Smoke & Mirrors because the signature sheets are taking A LOT longer than we had planned. They've been circulating for over a year now. Everyone in the book is signing, and all of these authors have extremely packed schedules, of course, but we are pushing to get the sheets done as fast as possible. I'm hoping to publish it during summer 2011, and I don't want to give a specific date yet until the sheets are done, but everything will be 100% ready for the printer by the time the sheets are back.

Smoke & Mirrors is an anthology of Screenplays, Teleplays, Stage Plays, Comic Scripts, and Treatments and it's my understanding that almost all of these haven't appeared in print (although the work they turned into -- like a finished comic, etc, possible has been in print) OR the original publication of the script was in a very small, long out of print venue. Here is the link for all of the details:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13

The only thing not mentioned there, I think, is that this book will have the same trim size as The Secretary of Dreams so it can preserve the original size of original documents, etc.

Thanks for asking!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com
http://www.CemeteryDance.com

herbertwest
01-05-2011, 01:50 PM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13

MLG
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
CD's website still states that it is being signed by 'most' of the authors. Brian's post stated that it was being signed by all.

Patrick
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys. Mindy's original email back on 4/14/09 said "most" of the authors would be signing, so if Brian was correct that "all" are signing, then that would be fantastic.

A bit of good news: I searched my email and figured out that, also way back when, I did preorder a signed limited copy of Subterranean Press' completely unrelated Neil Gaiman book, SMOKE AND MIRRORS.

So I have two books I had forgotten about that are already paid for and on preorder. I love finding that out.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Like finding money in your laundry!

Randall Flagg
06-15-2011, 06:44 AM
From CD:
Smoke and Mirrors (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13) edited by Richard Chizmar:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/chizmar13a.gif (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13)Les Edwards has turned in a beautiful cover, which you can see on the product page. (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13) The interior design is undergoing one last proofread and the signature sheets are making their rounds. Nearly half of the authors have signed now, and we're hoping to have the rest of them sign during the next few months as their schedules allow.

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey gang!

Sorry, I didn't know about this thread.

The signature sheets are with Frank Darabont right now, but he had to leave for preproduction in Atlanta before he could finish signing them, so hopefully he'll be back to his office soon and will have a chance to finish. After that, Stewart O'Nan and Brian Keene will need to sign... and then all of the authors will have signed!

We're sending the Review Copies out for this and Screamplays, and they are HUGE... Imagine The Secretary of Dreams (9 X 12) but twice as thick!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Also, I'm doing my best to keep the Production Updates page updated, but let me know if you have any questions:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PRODUCTION

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

CRinVA
06-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Just a comment Brian, but when you read the CD production update (I'll take the Woman as an example), it states:

The Woman (With Bonus Novella!) by Jack Ketchum & Lucky McKee:
The book is designed and is being proofread. The signature sheets will be headed to the authors early next month. We'll have a firm publication date once the sheets are signed and back in our hands.

So when the casual collector checks out the web stie say in about 4 weeks (ie in early July) and they read this they might think that next month means August. But reading it today I take it next month means July. ????

I'd recommend that wehn you post updates that you include the date of the update to prvide some calirty!

JMHO
:-)

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Just a comment Brian, but when you read the CD production update (I'll take the Woman as an example), it states:

The book is designed and is being proofread. The signature sheets will be headed to the authors early next month. We'll have a firm publication date once the sheets are signed and back in our hands.

So when the casual collector checks out the web stie say in about 4 weeks (ie in early July) and they read this they might think that next month means August. But reading it today I take it next month means July. ????

I'd recommend that wehn you post updates that you include the date of the update to prvide some calirty!

JMHO

Thanks! Excellent point! I can start added the dates of the updates for clarity. :)

Brian

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 10:08 AM

JMHO

Thanks! Excellent point! I can start added the dates of the updates for clarity. :)

Brian
The Smoke and Mirrors update still doesn't have a date listed.

Brian James Freeman
11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

JMHO

Brian
The Smoke and Mirrors update still doesn't have a date listed.

It hasn't really changed since the last update. Still waiting on the last two authors to sign. But I've changed how we word things to be more clear as was requested. For example:

The Century's Best Horror Fiction edited by John Pelan:
At the printer now and scheduled to be completed in January 2012.

Brian

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks Brian. That's what I call a quick response.

Patrick
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
... The signature sheets are with ...
After that, Stewart O'Nan and Brian Keene will need to sign... and then all of the authors will have signed!

...It hasn't really changed since the last update. Still waiting on the last two authors to sign. ...
So we're waiting on Stewart O'Nan and Brian Keene? Tell those boys to get on with it! :pullhair:

:couple:

Shannon
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I remember close to a year ago when I bought Legacies my first signed limited book, before this whole collecting bug bit me ... I thought they sent out all 500+ books to the homes of the authors and had them sign the signature sheets like that, lol.

Just wanted to share my ignorance.

Patrick
11-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I remember close to a year ago when I bought Legacies my first signed limited book, before this whole collecting bug bit me ... I thought they sent out all 500+ books to the homes of the authors and had them sign the signature sheets like that, lol.

I was smarter than that. I figured they flew the author to the publishing company for a couple days to sign all the books.

Brice
11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
I thought they just kept them conveniently stored away in a dungeon. :unsure:

willie3
11-30-2011, 05:40 PM

I was smarter than that. I figured they flew the author to the publishing company for a couple days to sign all the books.

Like SubPress did for McCammon's "The Five".

Karl

Patrick
11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Exactly! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Randall Flagg
11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
But wrong the other 1,438 minutes.

Patrick
11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
But wrong the other 1,438 minutes.
Bingo.

Shannon
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
... was his name-o.

Brian James Freeman
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Good news from Brian Keene today, he's making progress on these signature sheets!

http://www.whosay.com/briankeene/photos/99106

Brian

Brian James Freeman
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
And Brian is already done! Update on his blog:

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=9861

Brian

Cutter
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Good news from Brian Keene today, he's making progress on these signature sheets!

Brian

I have to agree with Brian's assessment "That's a lot of talent on one sig sheet."

btw, I have one on order!

Brian James Freeman
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Brian

I have to agree with Brian's assessment "That's a lot of talent on one sig sheet."

btw, I have one on order!

It's going to be a pretty big book to go with all of that talent. 9 X 12 trim size and 435 pages! :)

Brian

Patrick
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Great news, Brian. Thanks for the update. One more author left!

Brian James Freeman
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Great news, Brian. Thanks for the update. One more author left!

His schedule has opened up and he should be signing the sheets this month! Woo-hoo!

Brian