PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower in different languages

Lily-sai
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Well, I'm deeply obsessed with languages (I want to study English philology one day), so pray, tell me the names and suchlike in your own translation of DT. For example, I recall that Oy is 'Ej' in Hungarian, am I right? :)

In Finnish:

gunslinger - revolverimies (revolver man)
Oy - Oi (I myself prefer Oi :))
Billy-bumbler, bumbler - Mäyräkarhu, mäyriäinen (badger-bear (!), badger-like creature)
In-World, Mid-World, End-world - Sisä-Maailma, Keski-Maailma, Loppu-maailma (exact translations)
Chap - Heppu (somewhat exact translation)
Crimson King - Punakuningas (Red King)
Low men - Alhaiset miehet (sleazy men)
Breakers - Murtajat (exact translation)
Beam - Säde (exact translation, but it means more like a radius of a circle)

Letti
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, I'm deeply obsessed with languages (I want to study English philology one day), so pray, tell me the names and suchlike in your own translation of DT. For example, I recall that Oy is 'Ej' in Hungarian, am I right? :)

Oy is "Csi" in Hungarian. :)

Lily-sai
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Now THAT'S cute! :) Where does Csi come from?
Oi is from 'poika' (boy).

AlishaRiley
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
This is actually a very nice thread. :) I find it rather fascinating. :P

Lily-sai
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank Gan someone approves of my strange obsession. :lol:

Letti
04-14-2009, 11:16 AM

It comes from the world "öcsi", it means "little brother" in Hungarian, it's a short form of the word and we call people "öcsi" even if they aren't our relatives. It can mean kindness.
Jake called Oy "öcsi" but Oy kept saying "csi" "csi" just the end of it like in the original English version so he got the name "Csi".

Mad Man
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
well they have translated only 5 books into estonian so far :) i've just looked at them in the store *ok i admit it - i only looked at the pictures :wtf:*

I had to read 'em all in english :borg:

I could go and look about the word translations from it tomorrow after school though :P

dotKay
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm reading them in english but i saw some ebooks in spanish (translations from spain).

I can contribute with:
Gunslinger - Pistolero
Roland - Rolando (i think it sucks that they changed the name for an "equivalent")

About the titles:
The gunslinger - Old editions: La hierba del diablo (Devil's grass) / Last editions: El pistolero (The gunslinger).
The drawing of the three - Old: La invocación (The Invocation/Drawing) / New: La llegada de los tres (The arrival of the three).
The Wastelands - Las tierras baldias.
Wizard & Glass - Mago y cristal.
Wolves of the Calla - Los lobos del Calla.
Song of Susannah - La canción de Susannah.
The Dark Tower - La torre oscura.

Nice thread btw ^^

John_and_Yoko
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm reading them in english but i saw some ebooks in spanish (translations from spain).

I can contribute with:
Gunslinger - Pistolero
Roland - Rolando (i think it sucks that they changed the name for an "equivalent")

About the titles:
The gunslinger - Old editions: La hierba del diablo (Devil's grass) / Last editions: El pistolero (The gunslinger).
The drawing of the three - Old: La invocación (The Invocation/Drawing)
/ New: La llegada de los tres (The arrival of the three).

Nice thread btw ^^

Somehow the Spanish titles fit, I think. :)

Brice
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I only speak English, but I am obsessed with words, so that coupled with the fact that I also collect foreign SK books means I absolutely love the idea of this thread. :D

Chap
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I've only read the first 4 books in Norwegian, so I don't know all the special terms. Plus it's been ages since I read them, so I won't remember much. But here goes:

The Dark Tower = Det Mřrke Tĺrn (litt. translation)
Oy = Utt (Boy in Norwegian = Gutt)
The gunslinger = Revolvermannen ("The revolver man")
The drawing of the three = De utvalgte ("The chosen ones")
The waste land = Řdemarken (The wasteland)
Wizard and Glas = Trollmannen og glasskulen ("The wizard and the glass orb" (kinda) )
Wolves of the Calla = Ulvene ("The Wolves")
Beam = Strĺle
Path of the Beam = Strĺlens vei ("the beams way")

I'll come back and post more when I remember/reread/read the last 3 books in Norwegian :)
Great thread Lily! :D

Lily-sai
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Now I'm overjoyed. ^^

Brice, to encourage your obsession with words: 'world' in Finnish is maailma, which consists of words maa (earth) and ilma (air). Earthair. Voila!

Now I'm slightly freaking out, learning that torre is 'tower' - a Spanish friend of mine, her last name is de la Torre. I've got a friend whose last name is Tower?? :panic: :P

I'm in love of the different names of Oy. Csi and Utt, how cute are those?
Her, Utt, her!

Chap
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Just remembered some more:

The world has moved on = Verden har gĺtt videre.
I remember the face of my father = jeg husker min fars ansikt (I remember my fathers face)
"Ake" (Oys word for Jake) = Eik (that's how "ake" would be pronounced)
The man in black = Den sortkledde ("the black-dressed")

Lily-sai
04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Oooh, thanks, SSS! (I'm still trying to quess which one was the right one ^^)

I once even read Brřdrene Lřvehjerte (the Brothers Lionheart) and have watched numerous movies in Norwegian, so it makes me glad to learn the DT words in Norwegian. :) I'm just like a sponge, I absorb in any language I encounter. Tried to learn Italian, Spanish and Welsh when I was 12. A slight fail, but a fair effort, anyway. :)

I remember the face of my father - Muistan isäni kasvot

Chap
04-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Please, call me Chap ;)

I love languages too, but Finnish has always confused me :P the only thing I know is EI SAA PEITTÄÄ :D (because it's written on all our ovens!)

Letti
04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I read them in Hungarian long time ago so I don't really remember the phrases in Hungarian but I know the titles (and they are on my shelf right next to me):
The Gunslinger - A Harcos
The Drawing of the Three - A Hármak Elhivatása
The Waste Lands - Puszta Földek
Wizard and Glass - Varázsló és Üveg
Wolves of Calla - Callai Farkasok
Song of Susannah - Suannah Dala
The Dark Tower - A Setét Torony

Letti
04-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Oh my... bad choice but I am sure who read it just in Spanish can't complain and can get used to it.

Darkthoughts
04-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Good thread :cool:

The Dark Tower books are titled as follows in French:

La Tour Sombre 1: Le Pistolero

La Tour Sombre 2: Les Trois Cartes (The Three Cards)

La Tour Sombre 3: Terres Perdue (Lost Lands/Earth)

La Tour Sombre 4: Magie Et Cristal

La Tour Sombre 5: Les Loups De La Calla

La Tour Sombre 6: Le Chant De Susannah

La Tour Sombre 6: La Tour Sombre

Oy is called Ote. The Crimson King is Roi Cramoisi. Lady of the Shadows (Susannah) is Le dame d'ombres. Ka-tet is ka-ten. Beams are Rayons and Breakers are Briseurs.

The ka-tet's names haven't been changed.

I've got some French copies and am attempting to read them.

idk, my bff jill?
04-15-2009, 06:05 AM

I can contribute with:
Gunslinger - Pistolero

About the titles:
The drawing of the three - Old: La invocación (The Invocation/Drawing) / New: La llegada de los tres (The arrival of the three).

Nice thread btw ^^

That's so cool. :)
I've been meaning to read the books in Spanish, but the only Spanish translations I see in Borders are Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah.

I like the title translations, though, which is a surprise because they usually change titles entirely when translated (to Spanish, at least).

And I love El pistolero.
It sounds super cool and badass like Roland.
As it should be, of course. :cool:

But I don't like that they changed the name to Rolando. ><

jayson
04-15-2009, 06:16 AM
And I love El pistolero.
It sounds super cool and badass like Roland.
As it should be, of course. :cool:

But I don't like that they changed the name to Rolando. ><

I agree on both.

Pistolero muy excelente. :shoot:
Rolando muy estupido. :arg:

jos
04-15-2009, 07:19 AM
I haven't actually read the books in Swedish (and I don't think I ever will) but I've picked up a few words here and there.

The Dark Tower - Det mörka tornet (literal translation)
The Gunslinger - Revolvermannen (The Revolver man, obviously :P)
The drawing of the three - Följeslagarna (old translation, means (the) companions), De tre blir dragna (new translation, means The three are drawn, so it's pretty exact)
The waste lands - De öde landen
Wizard and Glass - Magiker och glas
Wolves of the Calla - Vargarna i Calla
Song of Susannah - Sĺngen om Susannah (The song of/about Susannah)

Oy - Oy or possibly Oj, I don't remember which. The Swedish word for boy is pojke so there was no need to change his name. :)

.. I thought I had more, but I guess not... And my books are all packed away in moving boxes so that's all I can give you right now. :unsure:

Mad Man
04-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm actually afraid of reading the ones translated into estonian - afraid that they have made it crappy :panic:

But of course i have to try it one day - they look great! :P
http://pegasus.cma.ee/pics/product/thumbs/gunslinger_kaas_084939.jpg http://pegasus.cma.ee/pics/product/thumbs/Kolm_saatusekaarti_182615.jpg http://pegasus.cma.ee/pics/product/thumbs/Ahermaad_131729.jpg http://pegasus.cma.ee/pics/product/thumbs/Volur-ja-klaas_124628.jpg http://www.pegasus.ee/pics/product/thumbs/darktower5_kaas_121245.jpg

They're all hardback and illustrated with pictures - even if i won't read 'em i will just buy them to stand next to other King stuff

the Gunslinger - Laskur (means "shooter" - epic fail translation in my opinion)
the drawing of the three - Kolm Saatuse Kaarti (means: Three destiny cards)
The Waste Lands - Ahermaad (means ~ fruitless lands)
Wizard and Glass - Vőlur ja Klaas (means Wizard and Glass - the best translation :P)
Wolves of the Calla - Calla hundid (means Calla wolves)

AlishaRiley
04-15-2009, 07:25 AM

It comes from the world "öcsi", it means "little brother" in Hungarian, it's a short form of the word and we call people "öcsi" even if they aren't our relatives. It can mean kindness.
Jake called Oy "öcsi" but Oy kept saying "csi" "csi" just the end of it like in the original English version so he got the name "Csi".

This is lovely. :wub:
Your language is beautiful, Letti. Although i guess that's pretty fitting!

Letti
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey, you language junkies, here is a piece of chocolate for you. I made it long time ago but you might like it.
I am reading out from the very beginning of the Gunslinger. In Hungarian. :)

-http://files.filefront.com/harcosmp3/;8700116;/fileinfo.html

And in English with Hungarian accent:

-http://files.filefront.com/gunslinger2mp3/;8700086;/fileinfo.html

Chap
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Letti reading The Gunslinger in Hungarian?
is this heaven? :drool:

Will listen to it when I get home :D

hmm, we should all join forces and read a different chapter of The Gunslinger, all in different languages!

Letti
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
hmm, we should all join forces and read a different chapter of The Gunslinger, all in different languages!

We did have a thread about it but I can't find it anywhere.
I guess it was sent to the Clearong.
Still I think it's a great idea.

AlishaRiley
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I dibs English due to the fact that I'm linguistically poor. :P

Lily-sai
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, great idea! Wish my webcam wasn't so crap. :(

By the way, I'm loving 'Terres Perdue'. Lost lands.. How fitting. And the Estonian titles surprised me - Finnish and Estonian are relative languages, but now I didn't understand any of them. They're beautiful though! Thanks for sharing :)

Chap
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM

We did have a thread about it but I can't find it anywhere.
I guess it was sent to the Clearong.
Still I think it's a great idea.

We should just go for it. I could do chapter 3 (I think that's the very short one :D )
I'm talking about recording to mp3 though, not cam or anything like that :ninja:

Lily-sai
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Chap, I would need a cam, for I'm using sign language ;) You others, mp3. Me webcam. ^^
(there's a clip of me signing the last part of Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came in the song dedication thread. you can see how crap my webcam is. *sigh*)

AlishaRiley
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
:couple: This would be the coolest thing. :)

Chap
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Chap, I would need a cam, for I'm using sign language ;) You others, mp3. Me webcam. ^^
(there's a clip of me signing the last part of Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came in the song dedication thread. you can see how crap my webcam is. *sigh*)

Sign language would indeed be difficult to hear on a mp3 :blush:

Lily-sai
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
:lol: Perhaps you could hear my hands swooshing through the air. ^^

Darkthoughts
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Ah man, that would be awesome! I'd happily read it out in French...even though my accent has gotten quite bad ><

Letti, I remember that thread...wasn't it in End World?

Chap
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
:lol: Perhaps you could hear my hands swooshing through the air. ^^

:lol: maybe if you talked really fast :lol:

Lily-sai
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I DO talk really fast. I taught a class in the university, and at first the class was deeply shocked and in the verge of tears, for I couldn't slow down at all. Eventually they became brilliant sign language interpreters. I'm so proud of them. :)

Letti
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Ah man, that would be awesome! I'd happily read it out in French...even though my accent has gotten quite bad ><

Letti, I remember that thread...wasn't it in End World?

I have no idea where it was but I will try to find it. You might be right.

Jean
04-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I thought it was at .net??? I remember Fruno reading, too.

Letti
04-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I thought it was at .net??? I remember Fruno reading, too.

I started one here, too. I am sure about it. I remember Jerome reading out from the Gunslinger. I think I still have it saved on my computer. I liked it so much. :)

Melike
04-16-2009, 03:12 AM

This is a great thread!
In Turkish versions they never translate specific names. 'Oy' is same here.
So it is so surprising for me to see it translated.

Bev Vincent
04-16-2009, 05:34 AM
http://www.bevvincent.com/img/dutch.jpg http://www.bevvincent.com/images/russian-road.jpg

Darkthoughts
04-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Cool! Is that weird, seeing something you've written in a language you don't speak?

Melike
04-16-2009, 06:20 AM
http://www.bevvincent.com/img/dutch.jpg http://www.bevvincent.com/images/russian-road.jpg
Very cool!
Also, the second cover is amazing!

Bev Vincent
04-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Cool! Is that weird, seeing something you've written in a language you don't speak?

Absolutely weird -- and cool. Especially the Russian one, where I wouldn't even recognize my own name if it weren't in that context.

Chap
04-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Just remembered:
Blaine the Mono = Mono Blaine :P
If people hadn't borrowed my books, I'd write much more here.

dotKay
04-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Is there any thread like this for non-dt books by sk?

Letti
04-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Absolutely weird -- and cool. Especially the Russian one, where I wouldn't even recognize my own name if it weren't in that context.

You can be really proud of it.

Brice
04-19-2009, 01:39 PM

I don't think so. You could start one if you like. :)

dotKay
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM

I don't think so. You could start one if you like. :)

I'm working on it ^^

Brice
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Antares
11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't like the german titles, because they always have to change them...

The Gunslinger - Schwarz (Black)
The Drawing of the Three - Drei (Three)
The Waste Lands - Tot. (Dead)
Wizard and Glass - Glas (Glass)
The Wolves of the Calla - Wolfsmond (well...Moon of the Wolves or so...)
Song of Susannah - Susannah
The Dark Tower - Der Turm (The Tower)

They didn't change any names, so Roland is Roland and Oy is Oy.
Gunslinger = Revolvermann
The Crimson King = Der scharlachrote Koenig
Big coffin hunters = Die großen Sargjaeger
Beam = Balken

Perhaps I get the english version some day ^^

Brice
11-01-2009, 08:36 AM
What I never understood is how they decided to call The Gunslinger Schwarz. I mean you can at least see the flow of their thinking in the titles for the others, but... not so much with Schwarz.

Myste
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Second to that! That is something very interesting how did they end up with that name... :orely:

Letti
11-02-2009, 03:57 AM
My favourite is the Hungarian description of WotC. I think it beats the Schwarz.
On the cover you can read (in Hungarian) that in this part Susannah is pregnant because she slept with the lobstrosities.
WTF?!?!??!?!?!

Brice
11-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Oh, god I need that book now. :lol:

Horny fucking lobstrosities. <_< :rofl:

Letti
11-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Oh, god I need that book now. :lol:

Horny fucking lobstrosities. <_< :rofl:

What a shame...

The front:
http://static.libri.hu/cover/6e/d/685919_4.jpg
What the HECK is that yawning wolf doing in the front?!?! http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/sleepy-ko/running.gif This book is not about wolves... meh... tragical.

The back:
"Gileádi Roland és csapata lankadatlanul keresi a Setét Tornyot. minden világok mozgatóját. az élet működtetőjét. Útjuk során egy kis településre, Calla Bryn Sturgisbe vetődnek. A mezővároska mindennapjai békésen telnek, lakóinak többsége földművelésből és állattartásból él, s közöttük lelt otthonra Callahan atya, aki korábbi életében megjárta a földi pokol számos bugyrát. Ám ezt a békét huszonhárom évenként feldúlja az ún. Mennykőcsapásból támadó Farkasok hordája, amely elrabolja az errefelé oly gyakori ikergyermekek egyikét. Igaz, később ezek a gyermekek visszatérnek, ám lényük leglényegét a Farkasok elvették tőlük. Felnőnek ugyan, de csak szellemileg visszamaradott, melák igavonókként tengődnek korai halálukig. A lakók úgy döntenek, elég: ezúttal szembeszállnak a Farkasokkal, s ehhez segítségül hívják Rolandot és harcostársait. Megkezdődik a felkészülés. De vajon kik vagy mik ezek a Farkasok? Farkasbőrbe bújt emberek, netán álcázott robotok? Milyen célra kellenek nekik az ikrek, s miért pont ők? Felvirrad a támadás napja. Kétséges az összecsapás kimenetele: bár a maroknyi harcosnak akad néhány segítője a falusiak között, helyzetüket súlyosbítja, hogy a hasadt személyiségű Susannah-t annak idején megejtették a homályszörnyek, s rövidesen várható a vajudás... A ciklus ötödik kötetében Roland - és vele Ön is, kedves Olvasó - közelebb kerül a titokzatos Setét Toronyhoz."

That very sentence in Hungarian: Kétséges az összecsapás kimenetele: bár a maroknyi harcosnak akad néhány segítője a falusiak között, helyzetüket súlyosbítja, hogy a hasadt személyiségű Susannah-t annak idején megejtették a homályszörnyek, s rövidesen várható a vajudás

That very English translation: The end of the fight is doubtful: although some folks help the handful of gunslingers their situation gets harder because the schizophrenic Susannah got pregnant from the lobstrosities and the labour is going to start soon. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/sleepy-ko/dead__remake_by_arrioch.gif http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/sleepy-ko/dead__remake_by_arrioch.gif http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/sleepy-ko/dead__remake_by_arrioch.gif

Lily-sai
11-02-2009, 05:20 AM
:scared:

um.. I'm speechless. That beats even our awful old Finnish cover of Gunslinger.

Brice
11-02-2009, 05:29 AM
:rofl: it :rofl: is :rofl: just :rofl: fucking :rofl: awesome :rofl:

Letti
11-02-2009, 06:18 AM
:rofl: it :rofl: is :rofl: just :rofl: fucking :rofl: awesome :rofl:

For my part I don't know if I should cry or laugh. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/dontknow.gif

Brice
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
probably both :couple:

Myste
11-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Ohhhh... I think this will take the win. That is just plain awful :wtf:

Jean
11-03-2009, 02:28 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

lisaki
11-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Im writing in Greek with latin characters and in Greek with Greek characters. For example Roland = Ρόλαντ. Gunslinger = πιστολέρο = pistolero

gunslinger - pistolero - πιστολέρο
Oy - Ori- Όρι (because boy=agori)
Crimson King - Porfiros Vasilias - Πορφυρός Βασιλιάς
Low men - Eleinoi Andres - Ελεϊνοί Άντρες
Breakers - Thraustes - Θραύστες
Beam - Aktina - Ακτίνα
Turtle - Helona - Χελώνα
Long days and pleasant nights - Na ne polles oi meres soy kai eyxaristes oi nyxtes soy - Να 'ναι πολλές οι μέρες σου κι ευχάριστες οι νύχτες σου
Sai - Sai - Σάι
Dandelo - Deilon - Ντέιλον
Thankee - Eygnomono - Ευγνωμονώ

The titles:
The gunslinger - O teleyteos pistolero - Ο τελευταίος πιστολέρο
The drawing of the three - To kalesma ton trion - Το κάλεσμα των τριών
The Wastelands - Oi rimagmenoi topoi - Οι ρημαγμένοι τόποι
Wizard & Glass - O magos kai i gialini sfaira - Ο μάγος και η γυάλινη σφαίρα
Wolves of the Calla - Oi lykoi tis Kala - Οι λύκοι της Κάλα
Song of Susannah - To tragoydi tis Susannah - Το τραγούδι της Σουζάνας
The Dark Tower - O Mayros Pyrgos - Ο Μαύρος Πύργος

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/737/b75508.jpg
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/927/9606204863.jpg

Lily-sai
11-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Oh thank you so much, Iisaki, I love Greek! :wub:

Helona, how beautiful is that? :)

lisaki
11-03-2009, 03:02 AM
:) :) :)

The person who translated these books did an absolutely GREAT job, I love him :rose:

Some things are difficult to translate. What about Dandelo?
How did they do the
anagram

in other languages?
In Greek
Odd Lane is οντ λέιν - so it had to be ντέιλον - deilon
Very clever! Because
It's still an unique name

What about that in other languages?

Melike
11-03-2009, 05:42 AM
In Turkey, they don't translate/change proper nouns.

Myste
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Since my wife is bulgarian, I asked for her help. So here are bulgarian titles of Dark Tower books:

Тъмната кула I: Стрелецът (The Shooter)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT1.jpg

Тъмната кула II: Трите карти (The Three Cards)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT2.jpg

Тъмната кула III: Пустош (Wasteland, Empty Land, Desert)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT3.jpeg

Тъмната кула IV: Магьосникът (The Wizard)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT4.jpg

Тъмната кула V: Вълците от Кала (The Wolves Of Calla)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT5.jpg

Тъмната Кула VI: Песента на Сузана (Song Of Susannah)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT6.jpg

(The seventh part is divided in two parts)
Тъмната Кула VII: 1. Изгубени Гласове (Lost Voices)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT7_part1_Lost%20Voices.jpeg

Тъмната Кула VII: 2. Тъмната Кула (The Dark Tower)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/28/2491797/DT7_part2_The%20Dark%20Tower.jpeg

Letti
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Lost Voices?! :blink:

LadyHitchhiker
11-08-2009, 01:07 PM

I absolutely LOVE this idea and would be all for it.

I'm learning so much. This is a great thread and I am also looking forward to hearing Letti's voice!!! :huglove:

Myste
11-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Lost Voices?! :blink:

Yep... I didn't get it either!

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Good thread :cool:

The Dark Tower books are titled as follows in French:

La Tour Sombre 1: Le Pistolero

La Tour Sombre 2: Les Trois Cartes (The Three Cards)

La Tour Sombre 3: Terres Perdue (Lost Lands/Earth)

La Tour Sombre 4: Magie Et Cristal

La Tour Sombre 5: Les Loups De La Calla

La Tour Sombre 6: Le Chant De Susannah

La Tour Sombre 6: La Tour Sombre

Oy is called Ote. The Crimson King is Roi Cramoisi. Lady of the Shadows (Susannah) is Le dame d'ombres. Ka-tet is ka-ten. Beams are Rayons and Breakers are Briseurs.

The ka-tet's names haven't been changed.

I've got some French copies and am attempting to read them.
Actually, the Crimson King is "Le roi écarlate", Lady of the Shadows is "La dame d'ombres (it's a feminine word).
Gunslinger is "pistolero"
Ote comes from "pote" which means 'pal'.
Billy-bumbler is "bafou-bafouilleux" (from the verb "bafouiller", 'mumble')
You've done my job for the rest :)
You've done my job for the rest :)

11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, if you guys want a native French speaker, I'd like to read the first chapter of the Gunslinger aloud :)

Brice
11-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes please! :rose:

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I second that!

Galdaran
11-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Well, we have the DT books translated for portuguese here in Brazil.
I read the first two books in the translated version, but the third, fourth and fifth book was in english. In my personal opinion I prefer to the DT series in english because many citations, jokes and anagrams can be lost.

Here I go:
The Gunslinger - O Pistoleiro (exact translation)
The drawing of the three - A Escolha do Tręs (Something like "Chosing the three")
Wastelands - Terras Devastadas ("Ruined Lands")
The Wizard & Glass - Mago e Vidro (same)
Wolves of the Calla - Os Lobos de Calla (same)
Song of Susannah - Cançăo de Susannah (same)
The Dark Tower - A Torre Negra (same too)

For the proper names, it wasn't changed. The exception is that Oy became Oi. The translation of "Boy" for portuguese is "menino", so the translator created another origin for the name: In Brazil we say "Oi", like "Hy", when we met someone, so when jake see the Bumbler for the first time he says "Oi" and the bumbler repeats the word, and the name catches.

Other translated terms:
Billy-Bumbler - O trapalhăo ("Bumbler", a guy that is inconvenient )
Breakers - Sapadores (I hated this translation, it's a word that is not even used in brazillian portuguese anymore! Don't make any sense when we read this word for the first time)
Walk-in - Aparecidos ("Apparitions")
The path of the beam - O caminho do feixe (same)
Beamquaker - feixemoto (like terremoto, "earthquaker")
the Crinsom King - O Rei Rubro (same, in the DT books) and O Rei Sanquinário ("The Bloody King", in Insomnia book)
Low men - Homens baixos (men that plays low)

Well, that's all I can remember for now!
Enjoy.

Lily-sai
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Thankee-sai big-big, Galdaran!! :)

su_joaninhas
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I read "The Gunslinger" in English, then the 2nd and 3rd books in Portuguese, and I agree that the original versions are better, because so much was lost in the translated version. It must have been a very difficult series to translate (speaking as a translator myself)... I think the translator could have done better, though...
By the way, loved the thread, I love languages too... I wish we could find a way to write the pronunciation, that would be sooo awesome... :clap:

nocny
11-28-2009, 05:13 AM
so now titles in Polish:

The Gunslinger - Roland
Drowing Of The Three - Powołanie trójki
Wastelands - Ziemie jałowe
Wizard And Glass - Czarnoksiężnik i kryształ
Song Of Susannah - Pieśń Susannah
The Dark Tower - Mroczna Wieża

Melike
11-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Titles of The Dark Tower books in Turkish:

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger - Kara Kule 1: Silahşor
The Dark Tower 2: The Drawing of the Three - Kara Kule 2: Üç'ün Çekilişi
The Dark Tower 3: The Wastelands - Kara Kule 3: Çorak Topraklar
The Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass - Kara Kule 4: Büyücü ve Cam Küre
The Dark Tower 5: Wolves of the Calla - Kara Kule 5: Calla'nın Kurtları
The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah - Kara Kule 6: Susannah'nın Şarkısı
The Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower - Kara Kule 7: Kule

They are all translated word by word; no changes in their meanings. Only last book is simply named as ''The Tower''.

I also would like to see our favorite quotes in different languages. Just saying. :)

Brice
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
So would I. :)

Letti
11-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't think I have written it down before this way so here you go.
DT in Hungarian

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger - A Setét Torony 1: A Harcos
The Dark Tower 2: The Drawing of the Three - A Setét Torony 2: A Hármak Elhivatása
The Dark Tower 3: The Wastelands - A Setét Torony 3: Puszta Földek
The Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass - A Setét Torony 4: Varázsló és Üveg
The Dark Tower 5: Wolves of the Calla - A Setét Torony 5: Calla Farkasai
The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah - A Setét Torony 6: Susannah Dala
The Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower - A Setét Torony 7: A Setét Torony

All of them are word by word translations. (thank God)

Letti
11-29-2009, 11:18 PM

They are all translated word by word; no changes in their meanings. Only last book is simply named as ''The Tower''.

I also would like to see our favorite quotes in different languages. Just saying. :)

Kara Kula sound so dark and hard. I like it a lot. How do you pronounce it exactly?
Anyway do you have Turkish friends you have read the series?

12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
:) :) :)

The person who translated these books did an absolutely GREAT job, I love him :rose:

Some things are difficult to translate. What about Dandelo?
How did they do the
anagram

in other languages?
In Greek
Odd Lane is οντ λέιν - so it had to be ντέιλον - deilon
Very clever! Because
It's still an unique name

What about that in other languages?

They didn't change the name at all in French.

nocny
12-02-2009, 03:09 AM
they didn't change probably any names in polish edition.

Melike
12-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Kara Kula sound so dark and hard. I like it a lot. How do you pronounce it exactly?

I have only two or three Turkish friends who have read it. :(
I am bad at descrbing pronunciations. Not exactly like this, but it is spelled ''Car-ah Cool-eh''.

Letti
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

I am bad at descrbing pronunciations. Not exactly like this, but it is spelled ''Car-ah Cool-eh''.

2 or 3? I think that's nice.
I have only Susan. It's funny that I met my only Hungarian DT fan friend here on the Internet.

Lily-sai
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I have only one friend that has read DT, my sai, and he lives in Denmark. :p
That's why I love our community here so much - truly brilliant people who love the SAME books. :wub:

Lily-sai
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Here you go, lovely! :)

If you love me then love me. - Jos rakastat minua, niin rakasta sitten.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. -
Mustiin puettu mies pakeni autiomaan halki, ja revolverimies seurasi hänen jälkiään.

Ka like the wind - Ka joka on kuin tuuli.

I'll dig up more later - meanwhile, send some of your own as well. :)
(and Melike, I agree with Letti. Kara Kule sounds so dark and ominous. awesome!!)

Melike
12-04-2009, 02:28 AM

2 or 3? I think that's nice.
I have only Susan. It's funny that I met my only Hungarian DT fan friend here on the Internet.
Those friends of mine are all from faculty. Two of them have read them because of my passion to the books. :D One of them was already a King fan. One day he came and said ''Hi, I heard you were a King reader. What do you think about Duma Key?'' Now we are close friends. :D

I have only one friend that has read DT, my sai, and he lives in Denmark. :p
That's why I love our community here so much - truly brilliant people who love the SAME books. :wub:
Same for me. While outside world trying to figure out why I am so crazy about that books, I am a natural and ordinary existance for .com community. :)

Here you go, lovely! :)

If you love me then love me. - Jos rakastat minua, niin rakasta sitten.

Mustiin puettu mies pakeni autiomaan halki, ja revolverimies seurasi hänen jälkiään.

Ka like the wind - Ka joka on kuin tuuli.

I'll dig up more later - meanwhile, send some of your own as well. :)
(and Melike, I agree with Letti. Kara Kule sounds so dark and ominous. awesome!!)

Aww! Liisa those are awesome. Thank you. *Notes them.*

Here is a couple of yours from me:*Later I will add more.*

Siyahlı adam, çölde kaçıyordu. Silahşor de peşindeydi.

Ka like the wind - Ka, rüzgar gibi.

12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't have any friend who's finished the series :( I'm trying to make a good friend of mine become a junkie, though!

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed - L'homme en noir fuyait ŕ travers le désert, et le pistolero le poursuivait.

mirceapricajan
05-10-2010, 03:22 AM
This thread is great. I'm working on the Romanian version of the series right now. Vol. III, as a matter of fact. So far the French version of DT has been of great help to me.

Let's see the titles in Romanian:

The Gunsliger - Pistolarul (this is easy)
The Drawing of the Three - Alegerea celor trei ('picking of the three' - no way I could have grasped both meanings, and 'cele trei carti' - 'the three cards' - as it was translated in Spanish, I think, sounds awful in Romanian)
The Waste Lands - Tinuturile pustii (that is, waste lands :) )

The next 4 will be named:
Wizard & Glass - Vrajitorul si globul de cristal (mot-a-mot)
Wolves of the Calla - Lupii din Calla (the same)
Song of Susannah - Cantecul lui Susannah (the same)
The Dark Tower - Turnul Intunecat (the same)

'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed' - 'Omul in negru fugea in desert si pistolarul se tinea dupa el'.

These are the covers for the first 2 volumes:
http://www.nemira.ro/poze_produse/1343/supermari/0.jpghttp://www.nemira.ro/poze_produse/1425/supermari/0.jpg

biomieg
05-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Heh, cool thread. In Dutch, the books are titled:

The Gunslinger - De Scherpschutter (literally 'The Sharpshooter')
The Drawing of The Three - Het Teken van Drie (literally 'The Sign of Three', which I think is an awful translation... the problem is: 'drawing' has multiple meanings, like 'drawing a card' but also 'drawing a picture' and I've always suspected the translator to have used the latter meaning... hence the word 'teken', which means 'sign' and is related to the word 'tekening', which means 'a drawing'... can you still follow me? ;))
The Waste Lands - Het Verloren Rijk (literally 'The Lost/Forlorn Lands/Kingdom')
Wizard and Glass - Tovenaarsglas (literally 'Wizard's Glass')
Wolves of the Calla - Wolven van de Calla
Song of Susannah - Een Lied van Susannah
The Dark Tower - De Donkere Toren

klio
05-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Croatian:

the dark tower - kula tmine
gunslinger - revolveraš
crimson king - grimizni kralj
gunslinger born - revolveraš je rođen
the long road home - dug put kući
can ka no rey - polje ruža

lukenet19
05-24-2010, 02:23 AM
I've read all the books in official czech translation(btw. the 7th book has a terrible cover and bad translation of the poem - publisher has probably gone crazy...or the world had moved on..) and in english original - it was great(and exactly same!! tell God thank ya) experience - both times :).

So here are the titles and names etc(en - cz):

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" = "Muž v černém prchal přes poušť a pistolník mu byl v patách.".

The Gunslinger - Pistolník
The Drawing of The Three - Tři Vyvolení(it should be Vyvolení Tří but it doesn't matter)
The Waste Lands - Pustiny
Wizard and Glass - Čaroděj a sklo
Wolves of the Calla - Vlci z Cally
Song of Susannah - Zpěv Susannah
The Dark Tower - Temná Věž

Roland - Roland ( the very most of the names are same in both languages :-) )
Father Callahan - Otec Callahan
Oy - Ochu ( "Good boy" - "Hodný hochu" )

:rose: :)

arrawyn
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
i LOVE this thread! unfortunately i don't speak anything other than English, but i've loved reading everyone's translations in so many different languages! fascinating!

Advocaat
06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Just want to tell you some stuff about the German version :)

The Dark Tower - Der Dunkle Turm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z21WYQ6VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Gunslinger - Schwarz (Black)

There are many ideas why they called it "Schwarz". The first one is that Heyne (the publisher) was afraid that people might not be interested in a book called "Der Revolvermann" (Which is the German version of gunslinger) because it sounds like a western story and Stephen King is mostly known for his horror literature. So they decided to call it "Schwarz" because it sounds scary and mysterious enough to entice the readers.

There is another idea which i prefer because it makes sense. The man in black is "der Mann in schwarz" - so the title might simply be an allusion to Walter.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518VGJHNRBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Drawing of the Three - Drei (Three)

Not much to say about this one. Its a little confusing to call the second book "Drei" ( = three), but i kinda like this title.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519RAY3T2VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Waste Lands - tot. (dead.)

This is the one i dont understand. Why is it "dead."? I would have been okay with "Death" ( = Tod), even though it would be not that creative. But "tot." is just stupid. (Especially the period. Makes me angry)

It doesnt even match with the story - Sure, people die. But thats what they mostly do when Stephen King writes a novel. So why is death so important in this one that it deservers to be in the title?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/219C4X9KQEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wizard and Glass - Glas (Glass)

Again: Nothing to say about this one. I like the title and im happy that they didnt translate it ("Zauberer und Glas" would just sound weird)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5179PQYQ83L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wolves of the Calla - Wolfsmond (Moon of the wolves...or something like that)

Another one i dont understand: What has the moon to do with it? Im pretty sure they just wanted the title to sound mysterious.

http://www.amazon.de/dark-tower-Song-Susannah/dp/3453431030/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Song of Susannah - Susannah (Well...take a guess)

This one is okay. I prever the original title, but "Susannah" works fine for me.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QXN7F02HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Tower - Der Turm (The Tower)

Finally: A title with more than one word! I dont know why Heyne uses only-one-word-titles for king novels most of the time. Probably because of the success of "It" ("Es"). They tried that with "Misery" before - In German it is just "Sie" ("She"). Pretty lame, huh?

Well, thats about the novels. Some other stuff from the Dark Tower (Sorry if im wrong with the original phrases, i just translate them. Would be nice if someone could tell me the original phrases)

The world has moved - Die Welt hat sich weiterbewegt.

(After they changed the translator it is "Die Welt hat sich weitergedreht".)

Everything serves the beam - Alle Dinge dienen dem Balken.

(Here i prefer the German word for beam. (Balken)
A beam sounds like some sort of ray (Probably a laser weapon from a space ship or something) for most Germans. "Balken" can also be translated to timber or bar. Even though the beams are like some sort of ray, calling them "bar" shows their use better i guess)

Long days and pleasent nights - Lange Tage und angenehme Nächte.

Crimson King - Scharlachroter König

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!

On his shell he holds the earth
If you want to run and play,
Come along the BEAM today.

-

Sie der Schildkröte gewaltige Pracht!

Auf deren Panzer die Welt gemacht.
Willst du spielen, komm und lauf,
Eins, zwei, drei den Balken rauf.

One more thing: I totaly love the covers of the German books. Some people told me that they find them boring and pale - But i just love them.

Lange Tage und angenehme Nächte,
Advocaat

Daghain
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd actually like to try and read these in German, but I'm pretty sure I'd spend a lot of time with a German-English dictionary. :lol:

I think The Wastelands might be called Tot because the Waste Lands are kind of a dead place (or at least, deadly to humans) but I may be way off base there.

I do like the covers, though.

arrawyn
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
i like the covers of the German books too! weird they are all one word titles (except #7). That's crazy that Misery is just 'She' in German. that makes no sense!

thanks for posting though - was really interesting! :)

Daghain
06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Well, knowing Germans like I do, I can totally see why She makes sense. :lol:

They're pretty literal. I could see my second-generation full-blooded German dad looking at that, reading the book (if he ever actually HAD read a book outside of high school) and saying, "Yeah, perfect title." :lol:

fivethirtytwo
06-11-2010, 03:23 AM
I don't know why, but this thread is strangely compelling.

Sadly, none of the Dark tower books exist in my native tongue (Urdu), but I'll give you guys an idea of how they would translate:

The Dark Tower: Kaala Meenaar
Gunslinger: Pistol Baaz

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger - Pistol Baaz
The Dark Tower 2: The Drawing of the Three - Teen Ka Ikhraaj
The Dark Tower 3: The Wastelands - Banjar Zameen
The Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass - Jadoogar aur Sheesha
The Dark Tower 5: Wolves of the Calla - Calla kai Bhairryay
The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah - Susannah ka Sangeet
The Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower - Kaala Meenaar

If you love me then love me. - Agar tum mujh se pyaar kartay ho, tau aao mujhay pyaar karo

Kaalay libaas mein malboos sehra kai paar faraar hua, aur pistol baaz nai peecha kiya

Ka like the wind - Ka, hawa ki tarah

Letti
06-11-2010, 04:37 AM

Sadly, none of the Dark tower books exist in my native tongue (Urdu).

And do you have any friends from your country who love this series as much as you do?
For my part I have only one Hungarian friend and I found her on the Internet, too. :)

fivethirtytwo
06-11-2010, 06:01 AM

And do you have any friends from your country who love this series as much as you do?
For my part I have only one Hungarian friend and I found her on the Internet, too. :)

None that I've been able to locate, so far.

I tried to remedy that situation by introducing my wife to the series. She's on Song of Susannah right now and loved it up till Wolves of the Calla. But she's severely put off by the (oft mentioned) meta-fiction turn in SoS. I'm dreading what she's going to make of the ending of the series.

But I'm a happy camper because I finally have someone to discuss the books with over every meal / drive / change of clothes etc. :)

Letti
06-16-2010, 07:11 AM

None that I've been able to locate, so far.

I tried to remedy that situation by introducing my wife to the series. She's on Song of Susannah right now and loved it up till Wolves of the Calla. But she's severely put off by the (oft mentioned) meta-fiction turn in SoS. I'm dreading what she's going to make of the ending of the series.

But I'm a happy camper because I finally have someone to discuss the books with over every meal / drive / change of clothes etc. :)

I must say you are really lucky. If only I had more Hungarian DT buddies. I have a really good one but we have talked so much about the books we know each other's opinion way too much.

RainInSpain
12-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Reviving the thread....

I'm sure Russian translations of TDT book titles have already been posted somewhere, but just to keep all languages in one thread, I'm posting them here.

The Gunslinger/The Drawing Of The Three/The WasteLands - in this edition, they were published in a single big tome - the titles in Russian are: Стрелок (Shooter) / Извлечение Троих (same as in English) / Бесплодные Земли (Sterile/Barren Lands or BadLands)

http://www.ozon.ru/multimedia/books_covers/1000281357.jpg

Wizard and Glass - Колдун и Кристалл (Wizard and Crystal)

http://www.ozon.ru/multimedia/books_covers/1000281402.jpg

Wolves Of the Calla - Волки Кальи (same as English)
I remember that on the forum dedicated to translating this book (it was set up to help the official translator) there had been quite a discussion about the right way to pronounce the word 'Calla'. I think the one that the translator settled on is Spanish-sounding.

http://www.ozon.ru/multimedia/books_covers/1000281412.jpg

Song Of Susannah - Песнь Сюзанны (same as in English)

http://www.ozon.ru/multimedia/books_covers/1000279584.jpg

The Dark Tower - Темная Башня (same as in English)

http://www.ozon.ru/multimedia/books_covers/1000279587.jpg

Letti
12-11-2010, 05:27 AM
I love the pic in the front. Do you know who the drawer is?

RainInSpain
12-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I've just looked it up - it only mentions this on one of the first pages: "decor and computer design by A.A Kudryavtsev" (in Russian the name is spelled А.А. Кудрявцев)

I love these covers, too - very beautifully made.

Jean
12-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Извлечение Троих (same as in English)
ah, but that's the point! it's not the same. In English, we don't only have the drawing of the three; we have the Drawers, Detta Walker's place; and Patrick who draws things, and maybe something else I forget at the moment...

RainInSpain
12-12-2010, 01:51 PM
You're right, I did not look at the wider context - it's sort of the same as with Salem's Lot title, discussed in another thread.
Only here I can't think of a Russian word that would cover all of the connotations. Same old problem again - languages do not map to each other perfectly...