PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King: The Non-Fiction now out!!

Matt
04-14-2009, 06:08 AM
I am not sure there is a discussion about this going on or not, feel free to merge. Got this email from Rocky today.

My new book, 'Stephen King: The Non-Fiction' is now shipping from Cemetery Dance.
Check out http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/wood02

I'd appreciate it if you'd circulate this email to anyone you think might be
interested in the book. All the best - Rocky

Here's the detail for those who've forgotten (lol):

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction
by Rocky Wood & Justin Brooks

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction is over 600 PAGES in length, easily making it the most
comprehensive review of Stephen King's non-fiction works, many of which you've never
read or even heard of before -- and it even includes the complete text of a very
rare essay written by Stephen King! This signed & slipcased oversized Limited
Edition is Rocky Wood's official companion volume to the fan acclaimed Stephen King:
Uncollected, Unpublished so make sure you order a copy today to complete the set!

About the Book:

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction is the first significant review of King's Non-Fiction.
Most fans and readers know King has written three non-fiction books and may have
noticed his introductions and Author's Notes to his own works, but few know of his
hundreds of columns, articles, book reviews and criticism.

In fact the Authors review over 560 published works of non-fiction (more than a
dozen are revealed here for the first time) and a further nine unpublished
non-fiction pieces. Full details of these unpublished pieces are revealed for the
first time.
Important Update About This Book!
SURPRISE ADDITION FROM STEPHEN KING!
Have you ever heard of "My Little Serrated Security Blanket" by Stephen King? It's a
very rare essay King wrote over a decade ago, and most fans have never had a chance
to read it... until now!

That's right! Stephen King has just granted permission for "My Little Serrated
Security Blanket" to appear in our special deluxe edition of Stephen King: The
Non-Fiction! Our designer is working hard at this very moment on a re-design of the
book so we can include this entertaining and difficult to find article!

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction fills all the gaps, providing significant detail on
each of the most significant of these Non-Fiction Works; and a review of every other
piece!

Authors Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks spent five years compiling this outstanding
reference work, with the assistance of many of the leading King researchers,
collectors and 'super-collectors'; and access to Restricted Non-Fiction Works in
King's papers at the University of Maine, Orono.

Covering all King's published and known unpublished works from 1959 to mid-2006,
Stephen King: The Non-Fiction reveals for the first time dozens of pieces of
non-fiction and their appearances that were previously unknown to King researchers.
If you've ever wanted to know more about King's amazing and often controversial
non-fiction, this is the reference work you must have. This is the ultimate volume
to accompany Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished.

Among new pieces reviewed in the book are:
o Two previously unknown King pieces from his high school days - sports reporting in
the Lisbon Enterprise (these are not the articles King describes in On Writing); and
a King non-fiction piece from his high school newspaper The Drum; along with the
fascinating story of their rediscovery by the authors
o A 1967 column supporting the US troops in Vietnam
o Previously unknown pieces from The Maine Campus, such as a review of the Spring
1969 issue of Ubris (in which King published the first version of Night Surf, the
precursor to The Stand); an amazing movie review; and letters to the editor (many
highly amusing)
o Nine unpublished pieces of non-fiction reviewed in detail, including pieces held
in the Restricted Boxes of King's papers at the University of Maine - for the first
time anywhere the authors describe these works in detail
o A large number of previously unknown letters to the editor
o Introductions to the work of other authors; and book reviews published in unusual
venues
o Comprehensive reviews of King's non-fiction in the Bangor Daily News and other
Maine newspapers, some of it controversial
o King's early baseball writing, most published in Maine newspapers
o Working from the original sources Wood and Brooks also identified and corrected
numerous errors in the previous reporting of material - incorrect titles, dates,
pagination and even publication information.

Contents
Argument: A Guide to King's Non-Fiction. Introducing the Reader to the book and
King's rich tapestry, including his strong sense of opinion, sense of humour, style
and risks he often takes in the Non-Fiction mode.
King's Major Non-Fiction
• Early Columns - Garbage Truck
• Danse Macabre, On Writing
• Baseball - Faithful; Heads Down and the Red Sox Obsession
• Opinion - Horror
• Opinion - The Craft of Writing
• Author's Notes and Introductions to His Own Work
• Later Columns - The Pop of King King's Minor Non-Fiction
• Introducing the Works of Others
• Book Reviews
• Letters to the Editor, Guest Columns
• Opinion - Radio, Music, Film and Television• Opinion - Venturing into Politics
• Opinion - Let's Argue
• Miscellany
King's Unpublished Non-Fiction
Each of the Chapters is in narrative form and covers the following information:
• The history of and interesting information about each piece
• Summary, including significant quotes
• Critique
• Relevance to other King Works (particularly to his Fiction)
• Advice to Readers wishing to accessing the piece
Bibliography: A full list of all King's Non-Fiction, with detailed citations
Stephen King: The Non-Fiction is a must-have for every Stephen King collector, and
we expect it to sell very quickly!
About the Authors

Rocky Wood is the co-author of three major King works: The Complete Guide to the
Works of Stephen King (2003, 2004), Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished (2006,
for which he received a Stoker nomination) and The Stephen King Collector's Guide.
He has spoken at numerous conventions on King, including the SKEMER Con in Colorado
(2003), Continuum 3 & 4 (2005, 2006) and the 2nd Annual Stephen King Dollar Baby
Festival in Bangor, Maine (2005). He has published non-fiction articles about King
in the US, UK and Australia, is an Active Member of the HWA and is recognised as one
of the world's leading King experts.

Justin Brooks holds a B.S. Degree in Interdisciplinary Social Science. He has been
collecting and researching King for the last decade and has interests in several
specific areas of study, including Stephen King.

Praise & Reviews:
"For Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks hunted down
500-plus published articles and a handful of manuscripts, from sports writing and a
high school newspaper piece on band uniforms to book introductions and controversial
Bangor Daily News columns, and compiled them into an impressively weighty tome that
any King completist would be thrilled to have on the shelf." — Publishers Weekly
"Wood and Brooks are to be commended for undertaking this research effort on behalf
of King aficionados. It will, no doubt, prove an invaluable research tool for some,
and a pleasurable read for others." — April Gutierrez, greenmanreview.com

alinda
04-14-2009, 06:33 AM
*starts another savings fund for SK books I do not own....yet!*:wtf:

mia/susannah
04-14-2009, 06:36 AM
have to wait awhile, :( i will have to save for this one

gsvec
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I got mine last week (#353 to match my SOD). Oversized hardback with TONS of stuff! I'm reading Serrated now . . .

mia/susannah
04-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I got mine last week (#353 to match my SOD). Oversized hardback with TONS of stuff! I'm reading Serrated now . . .

I am jealous!!:P

Matt
04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Another message I got from Rocky. :rock:

Hi, an interview of me about Stephen King: The Non-Fiction and my adventures in King
research is now live at http://tabula-rasa.info/StephenKing/RockyWood.html

Enjoy!

Best - Rocky

carlosdetweiller
04-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Does anyone (besides me, that is) wonder why "My Little Serrated Security Blanket" is such a hard non-fiction appearance to find? It was published in OUTSIDE Magazine, December, 1995. I really looked a long time to find a copy. It is a glossy covered newstand type magazine that really should be pretty common. The inside small print says "Paid Circulation Over 475,000." It seems like it should be pretty common but for some reason it isn't. Did subscribers just toss their copies after reading them? Are they sitting in boxes or attics somewhere? Where the heck are they?

jhanic
04-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I've got one.

John

sentinel
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I've got one too Bob. I never thought about them being hard to find. I'll
keep an eye out for you. I think I picked it up in a stack of a years worth, unlabled as anything King.

pixiedark76
04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I got mine last week, (Cemetery Dance actually came through!) I love this book. It is huge and will take me a long time to read it!

jhanic
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Here's the cover of the Outside Magazine containing "My Serrated Security Blanket":

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/Outside12-95SerratedSecurityBlanket.jpg

John

carlosdetweiller
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I've got one too Bob. I never thought about them being hard to find. I'll
keep an eye out for you. I think I picked it up in a stack of a years worth, unlabled as anything King.

I have a couple of copies in my collection but they were both hard to find. I just posed the question as to why that may be so, since the magazine had a large circulation. The write up for the book made it sound like one of those next-to-impossible articles to find.

Brice
04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Has anyone tried to see if you can order a back issue? :unsure: http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/archives/1995.html

Patrick
04-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Bob, I think it is simply the kind of magazine that people toss when the next issue arrives.

Randall Flagg
04-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Has anyone tried to see if you can order a back issue? :unsure: http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/archives/1995.html

They do not have the Dec. 1995 edition available for backorder.