PDA

View Full Version : FINAL: Worst King on the Screen Award

mae
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
As nominated by our membership in the nomination round, please vote now for the film you feel should win the award for Worst King on the Screen.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Maximum Overdrive has to win. It is widely renowned for being the worst King movie, not to mention, in a (self admitted) cocaine induced haze King himself directed the movie.
It's so bad it is actually good-in a campy way.:wtf:

Brice
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes, it is brilliantly bad. I love it. :lol:

flaggwalkstheline
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Desperation got my vote, ABC Butchered it!

Sam
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Having not seen Maximum Overdrive, I can't vote on it. I DID sit through the debacle that was The Tommyknockers though. That shame gets my vote.

razz
03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Desperation got my vote, ABC Butchered it!
really? I thought desperation was good. they actually stuck to the General plot.

SigTauGimp
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Maximum Overdrive.
Done and done. :rofl:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Maximum Overide was my favorite King movie. Little cheesy, but then so is the subject matter. I think this was Kings only attempt at directing also.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
btw Kingdom Hospital got my vote

candy
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
i loved kingdom hospital - i have it on a box set i am that sad

tommy knockers got my vote, loved the book - sat with open mouth in shock at how bad the screen play was though

jayson
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I voted for the 97 Shining. I know it's more faithful to the book, but it seemed pointless to me. I liked Kubrick's version just fine. He made it his own thing. That worked for me better than the more recent one.

pixiedark76
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
I have always thought that Christine was the worst Stephen King movie of all time! What really upset me about this movie was that it was set in Pittsburgh in the book, but in the movie it was in California! The movie strayed so far from the book it left out half of the plot! In the movie they cared to much about the special effects and did not focus on the what the characters were actually going through. The movie was way off on what was happening with Arnie. The movie did not have a clue about Rolie Lebay (Christine's former owner)

Heather19
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I voted for the 97 Shining. I know it's more faithful to the book, but it seemed pointless to me. I liked Kubrick's version just fine. He made it his own thing. That worked for me better than the more recent one.

I agree. I love Kubrick's version, and definitely prefer it to the 97 one.

But my vote went for Dreamcatcher. That film had so much potential. It even started off wonderfully, but then it quickly went downhill. And everytime I thought that it couldn't get worse it did.

razz
03-31-2009, 02:55 PM
i don't care what anybody says, the worst was ind still is the 1980 version of The Shining.

Heather19
03-31-2009, 03:02 PM
i don't care what anybody says, the worst was ind still is the 1980 version of The Shining.

What if you hadn't read the book? Do you think you would have enjoyed it more?

razz
03-31-2009, 03:09 PM
i doubt it. yeah the continuity pissed me off, but i think the whole film just sucked.

Heather19
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Fair enough.

mia/susannah
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
For me, It was really badly made. The movie was not scary at all!!

razz
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
:hugs Mia/Susannah:

mia/susannah
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks razz!!! My husband is scared of clowns and this movie did not even scare him. I found the movie really stupid. Sorry if that offends anyone!!

Woofer
03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I missed the nominations portion somehow, so I am curious about Kingdom Hospital being included since it was, essentially, just a remake of the Danish miniseries Riget - albeit an adaptation with quite a few changes. The original miniseries, penned by Tómas Gislason, Lars von Trier, and Niels Vørsel, is supposed to be quite good and well worth watching.

Should this even be here? Is there enough original material by King? I wouldn't even have considered it since it is not a King novel made into film/TV miniseries; instead, it is King's interpretation of another's author's miniseries, including adaptations designed to make it appeal to an English-speaking (and more specifically to an American English-speaking) audience.

Sorry if this was already discussed.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I really enjoyed Kubrick's version of the Shining. I didnt care that it didnt follow the book. I think Jack was a perfect cast and I cannot reread the Shining with out having Jack as my visual.

alinda
04-01-2009, 03:12 AM
I voted The Shining, I just thought it was terrible, start to finish.
I considered Tommyknockers, and IT because I thought both films
could have been so much better given the material, but I too was
fine with Kubrick's film, so the "remake" was not only unnecessary
in my view but so badly made. :angry:

Woofer
04-02-2009, 06:02 AM
I missed the nominations portion somehow, so I am curious about Kingdom Hospital being included since it was, essentially, just a remake of the Danish miniseries Riget - albeit an adaptation with quite a few changes. The original miniseries, penned by Tómas Gislason, Lars von Trier, and Niels Vørsel, is supposed to be quite good and well worth watching.

Should this even be here? Is there enough original material by King? I wouldn't even have considered it since it is not a King novel made into film/TV miniseries; instead, it is King's interpretation of another's author's miniseries, including adaptations designed to make it appeal to an English-speaking (and more specifically to an American English-speaking) audience.

*bump* Because I'm dying of curiousity. Anyone have any info on this?

sarajean
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM

i was wondering, too, woofer...so i went and searched out the answer. (http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=296680&postcount=32)

KaLikeAWheel
04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I also missed the nomination portion of this, and my vote for worst King on film isn't on the list. For me it was Pet Semetery. The book is the only book that ever gave me nightmares. I laughed my way through the movie.

I have to admit that I loved Maximum Overdrive. I thought it was a total riot from start to finish.

Of the movies in the poll, I'll have to go with the '97 version of The Shining. I thought it was pointless as R of G said. And Nicholson was perfectly cast in that role, Childe. I can't picture anyone but him as Jack when I reread the book, either. Although who the hell though Shelley Duvall made a good Wendy, I will never know! Wendy was supposed to be blonde and gorgeous, wasn't she?? :arg:

Donna

ETA: Sara, I love your signature picture and icon! Makes me think of reviving my Spike themed profile. He's just so, so, SO...:drool:

mae
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I too don't get the hate for Maximum Overdrive. It's a fun movie. Does what it's supposed to. But there were plenty of atrocious ones made in all seriousness (Graveyard Shift, The Mangler, et al).

KaLikeAWheel
04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I too don't get the hate for Maximum Overdrive. It's a fun movie. Does what it's supposed to.

Definitely! Yeardly Smith was SO funny in it!

Sara, I couldn't resist. Had to go back to Spike.

Donna

Woofer
04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

i was wondering, too, woofer...so i went and searched out the answer. (http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=296680&postcount=32)

Thanks, sj! I called myself having looked for the answer, but apparently I did not look hard enough. Thanks again!

Woofer
04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
More love for Maximum Overdrive here. It is a fun MST3Kesque movie.

:cool: Yeardly Smith saying "Curtis!" in that nasal whine.

Woofer
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
While I like Kubrick's The Shining, I do not consider it an adaptation of King's novel; rather, it is more of a reinvisioning of King's basic story. IMHO, Nicholson's Jack Torrance doesn't go crazy, he is crazy when we first see him (or too unbalanced to be Jack Torrance of the novel). And I really didn't like Shelley Duvall as Wendy. However, I like all the other casting just fine. Sooo... I can enjoy the movie, so long as I just divorce myself from it being an adaptation of King.

KaLikeAWheel
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
More love for Maximum Overdrive here. It is a fun MST3Kesque movie.

:cool: Yeardly Smith saying "Curtis!" in that nasal whine.

Oh how I love the MST3K!

"Curtis....are you dead?" I only wish I could convey the accent in type! :rofl:

Donna

Woofer
04-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Finally settled on The Tommyknockers.

mae
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
The poll has closed and the winner of our inaugural Worst King on the Screen Award, receiving 8 votes (27.59%), is:

Maximum Overdrive

A dubious honor...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
CHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Woofer
04-07-2009, 03:51 AM
*turns into a murderous Coke machine and spits out sodas at follks who don't find MO fucking hysterical*