PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on "old" topics in Calvin's Corner

Randall Flagg
03-26-2009, 04:34 PM
This thread will be moved to the Clearing in 7 days.
I was hoping for members to go to the last page of the Collectors area and review some old threads.
Rather than post in them (unless truly deemed necessary), I wanted thoughts as to whether they should be:

Left alone
Moved to The Clearing (no posting, but available for viewing)
Merged-with what?
Other-Please describe.

Nothing is etched in stone-just firmly in Jello.:P

Room 217 Caretaker
03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
RF

Do you want us to list them with our opinion like:

E-Bay feedback policy change (Multi-page thread 1 2) DELETE. This is old news now.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
That is exactly the type of feedback we're looking for, Ralph.

For some threads it may make sense to merge them and change the title (For example, perhaps some old eBay-related threads should be merged, perhaps not.)

One note of clarification though: Rarely is any thread physically deleted - if they are not left alone nor merged, they get moved to The Clearing which is the site's archive forum for dead threads.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-27-2009, 12:13 AM
My opinion is to send the old threads to the clearing en masse. If they have not been posted in for weeks, then they are old news.

They will still be there for all to read if they needed.

e_taylor
03-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Alright, sorting through from the last page, the threads that I think should stay are:

So You're Going to a Book Signing (some useful info, and hopefully there will be future signings)

Big Book of Necon (hasn't been published yet)

First Appearances of King's Short Stories (good reference)

King Book Release Dates (again, good reference)

SK Non-Fiction Reference Guide

SK Goes to the Movies (not released yet)

Quirky King Items

Current Market Value Assessment

Comic Art - Originals

One for the Road - PS LTD (not released yet)

Cemetery Dance Discussion Thread (if we get rid of it, a new one will emerge, as we all love to bitch about CD)

And that brings me to page 2, which seems recent enough to not worry about for now.

Would it be possible to have a subsection for Calvin's Corner within the Clearing though? Might be easier to find what we're looking for.

Ari_Racing
03-27-2009, 05:30 AM
That might be a good idea.

A special "Clearing" only for topics frm Calvin's Corner.

CRinVA
03-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Keep The Pop of King; it only gets updated about once every three weeks but is pretty consistent with that as King has a column in EW about every three weeks!

jhanic
03-27-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with Eric's list. I also would like to see a separate "Calvin's Corner" in the Clearing section. It's almost impossible to find a specific thread in the current list.

John

Matt
03-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Can we call the forum..."Calvin's Corner-Rock Bottom Remainders"

:lol:

I like the idea you guys, pretty sure it's going to happen.

e_taylor
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Can we call the forum..."Calvin's Corner-Rock Bottom Remainders"

:lol:

I like the idea you guys, pretty sure it's going to happen.

:wtf: I love it!

Iwritecode
03-27-2009, 07:26 AM

It's not? I swore I just saw it on the shelves at a local grocery store.

Brice
03-27-2009, 07:30 AM

I think he means a limited edition. I'm not sure though. I have the mass market paperback.

thecollector
03-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I support the idea of getting a sub-section in the clearing just for the collector threads. You never know when a little research will help you out with something and the site is pretty massive...a sub section will help the collectors find what they're looking for.

carlosdetweiller
03-27-2009, 10:41 AM

I think he means a limited edition. I'm not sure though. I have the mass market paperback.

I think also that maybe it is a thread title that was started before the book was released.

e_taylor
03-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Yah, theres a thread about the Sub Press LTD of SK Goes to the Movies somewhere between page 4 and 6 of Calvin's Corner.

Iwritecode
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM

I think also that maybe it is a thread title that was started before the book was released.

First post is from yesterday.

Patrick
03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Thank you for your input, everyone. Keep it coming.

I am in favor of a subforum within the Clearing as well. Great idea, Eric! And, Matt, that name is perfect. :lol:

A bit of clarification in regards to specific book threads:

The Calvin's Corner threads are, and should be, focused on actual or potential limited editions. This should be, and I believe is, the case with the SK GOES TO THE MOVIES thread in Calvin's Corner. Threads regarding the stories and mass market releases are found elsewhere on the site.

Thanks again, everyone.

jhanic
03-28-2009, 04:40 AM

The Calvin's Corner threads are, and should be, focused on actual or potential limited editions. This should be, and I believe is, the case with the SK GOES TO THE MOVIES thread in Calvin's Corner. Threads regarding the stories and mass market releases are found elsewhere on the site.

Thanks again, everyone.

I don't think I completely agree, Patrick. I see the focus on Calvin's Corner to be more general--anything collectible with regards to King and some other authors. There are a number of King-related mass-market collectibles--the first edition first printing mass-market Firestarter, for example--that can and should be discussed here. We shouldn't limit it to just limiteds.

John

carlosdetweiller
03-28-2009, 05:31 AM

Thanks again, everyone.

I don't think I completely agree, Patrick. I see the focus on Calvin's Corner to be more general--anything collectible with regards to King and some other authors. There are a number of King-related mass-market collectibles--the first edition first printing mass-market Firestarter, for example--that can and should be discussed here. We shouldn't limit it to just limiteds.

John

I agree with John. To me the limited editions are the least intriguing of the King collectibles. There are many more interesting areas of King collecting that we should be able to discuss. IIRC Calvin Tower collected trade editions too.

"elsewhere on the site"??? I didn't know there WERE other areas of the site besides Calvin's Corner.

e_taylor
03-28-2009, 06:02 AM
haha yah, I like Bob am a "Corner Dweller" here on the site. I navigate away from time to time, but this sub-forum is my home.

Patrick
03-28-2009, 08:47 AM
:lol: Yeah, it's a big ol' site out there.

Sorry about any confusion caused by my post. It was late and I was tired, so I was bit sloppy in reading some of the posts earlier about SK GOES TO THE MOVIES.

I used the term "limited" when I meant "collectible". I didn't say it well at all, but my point was that the Corner focuses more on the collectible world (limited editions, first editions, rare mass market editions, promo items, etc.), and of course, people's opinions on the contents are a part of that, however there are other forums here that focus solely on discussing the stories.

This shouldn't be any change from the status quo around here, nor should it be news to the existing membership.

Was that any better? :unsure:

Randall Flagg
03-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Was that any better? :unsure:

Yes.:grouphug:

jhanic
03-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Very much better, Patrick! :huglove:

John