PDA

View Full Version : Metal Fatigue

Jon
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Fellow DT members, you are assigned to a desert island where the tribe know as the Whosheers reside. They know what rock and roll is, but not what heavy metal is. You can only fit one single track in your bag. What one metal song would you take, and herald, as THE heavy metal anthem?

My vote;

Man on the Silver Mountain - Rainbow

obscurejude
03-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Maybe not anthemic in the way that Twisted Sister's "We're not going to take it," but I'd give them "Fade to Black" by Metallica. From a musical perspective, the song represents all the best aspects of metal in my personal opinion. Unconventional key shifts, mixolydian scale work, and open appregiated chord structures all serve to create melancholic undertones less obvious than the suicidal themes of the lyrics. Its an epic song, and the best representation of the genre that I've ever heard.

Jon
03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, the complexity of the music is common to the genre. Well played.

obscurejude
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, the complexity of the music is common to the genre. Well played.

Big compliment, coming from you, sir.

soylentjillian
03-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Maybe not anthemic in the way that Twisted Sister's "We're not going to take it," but I'd give them "Fade to Black" by Metallica. From a musical perspective, the song represents all the best aspects of metal in my personal opinion. Unconventional key shifts, mixolydian scale work, and open appregiated chord structures all serve to create melancholic undertones less obvious than the suicidal themes of the lyrics. Its an epic song, and the best representation of the genre that I've ever heard.

Whenever I hear that song, I typically stop what I'm doing and sit by the speaker. If I'm driving, I make everyone in the car shut the fuck up. It mesmerizes me. I love Metallica more than any other band; the vast range of their music means that there is something for every mood I am in.

Brice
03-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Brilliant suggestion Ryan ...and one of my favorites by them. Since you beat me to it I'll go with Battery or Whiplash. Basically almost any song from the first three albums could represent the whole genre IMO.

flaggwalkstheline
03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I would also go Mettallica in the puppets album but I'd pick damage inc.

alinda
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
To refresh my memory I just went to Youtube to have a listen and found some Gutair Hero version , now I cant stop laughing, or get that song fade to black out of my head :lol:

obscurejude
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Brilliant suggestion Ryan ...and one of my favorites by them. Since you beat me to it I'll go with Battery or Whiplash. Basically almost any song from the first three albums could represent the whole genre IMO.

:cool: Thanks man. :)

Overall I prefer Master of Puppets to Ride the Lightning but "Fade to Black" will always be my favorite song by them.

That being said, "Master of Puppets" (the song), is also a great example of their versatility. I absolutely love the middle interlude which Kirk used an extended neck on his guitar for. I'm also a big fan of "Sanitarium" but "Battery" is a great mood setter for the album Brice. You have that opening 12 string lullaby and then the song loses control like the victims of the rest of the songs.

Jon
03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I must say that I am deeply in love with Metallica's The Small Hours from the first Garage Days.

ScottRiley
04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I would take them Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' to truly scare, enlighten, humble and numb them.

I think it is one of the greatest albums ever made, is full of amazing riffs, beautiful modal soloing, some lovely chord progressions, amazing guitar tones ranging from the most sublime clean to the thickest distortion, and some of the best song writing known to man.

If I had to pick an album that truly helped define heavy metal, I think it'd have to be Iron Maiden's 'Piece of Mind'

Munchausen
04-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Deaf Forever by Motorhead. It's the epitome of what I look for in metal in both content and presentation.

Mad Man
04-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I would take them Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' to truly scare, enlighten, humble and numb them.

I think it is one of the greatest albums ever made, is full of amazing riffs, beautiful modal soloing, some lovely chord progressions, amazing guitar tones ranging from the most sublime clean to the thickest distortion, and some of the best song writing known to man.

Opeth ftw :rock: I really love 'em, saw them live last month :rock:

But i'd go there with a blind guardian song..... i'm not sure that i'd dare to pick only one from those great songs.... but with the current mood i'd go with the bard's song.. :panic:

Or if real metal'ish metal is needed then i'd grab along Opeth - Demon of the fall! *or just something else from blind guardian - yeh i can't just stick with 1 :panic::panic::panic:*

*i wouldn't take only 1 song anyway :P*

sarajean
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
judas priest's screaming for vengeance.

what?

CPU
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I can't even answer, everytime I think I have one song another pops in my head....

Sam
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Two words.

Enter. Sandman.

Mad Man
04-14-2009, 06:29 AM
I can't even answer, everytime I think I have one song another pops in my head....

same :panic:

Jon
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
It was a tough choice for me. it was odd to NOT pick an Iron Maiden song. But pick please...the Whosheers are awaiting you... the helicopter is running...gas ain't cheap ya' know!

Odetta
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I would pick either Metallica's Sanitarium or One

obscurejude
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Good choices Odetta. :thumbsup:

I wish they'd re-record all the songs on Justice with heavier guitar tones and actual bass. :( I love the songs, but they remain the most poorly mixed in their catalog in my opinion.

Slash281
04-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Master of Puppets or Dyers Eve. But just to mix it up, Angel of Death by Slayer.

Odetta
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Good choices Odetta. :thumbsup:

I wish they'd re-record all the songs on Justice with heavier guitar tones and actual bass. :( I love the songs, but they remain the most poorly mixed in their catalog in my opinion.

i can agree with that!!!!

RUBE
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Crazy Train by Ozzy maybe...
or Back in Black by AC/DC...
or... this is too hard!

Odetta
04-17-2009, 06:00 AM
if it were an ACDC song, it would have to be Hells Bells

Sam
04-17-2009, 06:38 AM
I like Big Gun by ACDC myself.

Mad Man
04-17-2009, 06:40 AM
everything from AC/DC is sacred :evil: :rock:

obscurejude
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM

But everytime I hear the bells at the beginning I always think "For Whom the Bell Tolls!" :lol: I should know that anything from Lightning wouldn't be on the classic rock station.

Hells Bells is probably my favorite from AC/DC, though they aren't one of my favorite bands. I do respect them and their influence however.

soylentjillian
04-17-2009, 08:38 PM

But everytime I hear the bells at the beginning I always think "For Whom the Bell Tolls!" :lol: I should know that anything from Lightning wouldn't be on the classic rock station.

Hells Bells is probably my favorite from AC/DC, though they aren't one of my favorite bands. I do respect them and their influence however.

HAHAH that happens to me too.

I don't like AC/DC very much. I like some of the songs, where there is more of a lyrical singing style (even like the big balls song) but I hate the screaming, for some reason I can't stomach it. I love screaming in metal. Just not AC/DC for some reason... it makes no sense, really.

Jon
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM

HAHAH that happens to me too.

I don't like AC/DC very much. I like some of the songs, where there is more of a lyrical singing style (even like the big balls song) but I hate the screaming, for some reason I can't stomach it. I love screaming in metal. Just not AC/DC for some reason... it makes no sense, really.

Do you feel the same with Bon Scott singing?

Munchausen
04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
AC/DC ain't metal. It's good. But it ain't metal.

Mad Man
04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

True - AC/DC is hard rock, classic rock

obscurejude
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM

metal is one of the broadest musical categories ever. It was penned from a steppenwolf song for crying out loud. I'm sure many of your so called "metal bands" would name AC/DC as an influence.

Jon
04-30-2009, 10:50 PM
AC/DC is metal...just not HEAVY metal.

obscurejude
05-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Anybody that can play 14 guage strings on an SG is heavy in my opinion.

Mad Man
05-01-2009, 01:29 AM
AC/DC is not metal... it's a thin line between rock and metal bands but the overall genre that AC/DC does is rock. The band itself and the listeners tag it as a rock group (hard rock, classical rock)

Brice
05-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Actually it's a damn blues band doing rock songs and it certainly qualifies as metal. Genres are grey areas anyway...if you ask me there's way to many of them. To say AC/DC isn't metal is akin to saying Black Sabbath isn't also...which just about every band playing metal would dispute.

Jon
05-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Aye...Ride on, Little Lover are the blues extremes but all of their works are blues.

I wonder what prompted that statement.

Jon
05-01-2009, 01:48 AM
AC/DC is not metal... it's a thin line between rock and metal bands but the overall genre that AC/DC does is rock. The band itself and the listeners tag it as a rock group (hard rock, classical rock)

Overall...it's blues.

Mad Man
05-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Of course you can tag AC/DC as metal if you so want to.. you can tag 'em as rap also but that doesn't change the fact that they have always classified their music as "rock and roll" *and so have most of the listeners* it depends on a lot of things, but the overall music they do is rock :borg:

Jon
05-01-2009, 01:58 AM
"Hard Rock" is what we old fuckers call "Metal."

R.E.O. Speedwagon is "rock." One cannot place REO in the same genre as AC/DC. There is a distinct difference.

Aw...it's all subjective and... fuck it.

ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION!!!!!

Mad Man
05-01-2009, 02:01 AM
:wtf: :rock:

Brice
05-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Jon, now you know REO Speedwagon is more like death metal than just rock.

Sam
05-01-2009, 06:53 AM
No Brice, it's not death metal either. It's more like music to commit suicide to.

As for AC/DC, it could be called metal even though the band itself doesn't acknowledge that. I looked up metal bands on wikipedia and oddly enough, Metallica has no mention anywhere. That is one of the top metal bands IMO. It also listed Led Zepplin as well as Jimi Hendrix as metal. Not where I would have put either one of them, but that's just me.

Munchausen
05-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Wiki eh? Hmph.... Zepp and Jimi could be considered proto-metal but I wouldn't go farther than that. There are definite hallmarks that define metal from other genres but don't tell that to Lemmy. He doesn't consider Motorhead anything more than a rock 'n roll band. But they definitely do have the HM sound down to a "T". I think subject matter has much to do with what defines metal. Drinking, chicks and partying don't rate. Occult, fighting, sword and sorcery, the apocolypes, these are stereotypical metal themes.

obscurejude
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Overall...it's blues.

A thin line, yet you insist on using absolutist terminology... "not" in bold etc...

Yeah, it is all blues and you can hear it in the bands who have more subtle progressions. Maybe I'd give them a copy of Robert Johnson's "king of the delta blues" and tell them this is where it all started.

Jon
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
It's all so subjective. But "Rock and Roll" or "Rock" is a very general term to distinguish from classical or easy listening etc. Elvis is "Rock" as is Mayhem...but there is a distinct departure of the two. To say that AC/DC is rock and roll is like saying dogs are from the phyla, animalia. It is true, but does not help us distinguish a dog from a fox.

Jon
05-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Occult, fighting, sword and sorcery, the apocolypes, these are stereotypical metal themes.

Interesting...lyrics from a song called If You Want Blood You Got It by a band known as AC/DC.

"...Blood on the rocks
Blood on the streets
Blood in the sky
Blood on the sheets

If you want blood
you got it

Want you to bleed for me"

By this same band

C.O.D.

C.O.D. - care of the devil
C.O.D. - the devil in me

Brice
05-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Genre is useless info.

biomieg
05-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I can't pick one song but it would have to be from either Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ... And Justice For All, Reign In Blood, Blackwater Park, or Ghost Reveries!

Jon
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
At least ya' have it narrowed down!:P

Munchausen
05-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Occult, fighting, sword and sorcery, the apocolypes, these are stereotypical metal themes.

Interesting...lyrics from a song called If You Want Blood You Got It by a band known as AC/DC.

"...Blood on the rocks
Blood on the streets
Blood in the sky
Blood on the sheets

If you want blood
you got it

Want you to bleed for me"

By this same band

C.O.D.

C.O.D. - the devil in me

Yeah and I guess you could include Hell's Bells too. Pat Boone covered Metallica but I don't see him touring with Slayer anytime soon. To be sure there is wiggle room but realisticly, this is just pandering to their metal audience.

Jon
10-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I must admit that this Dio song is my new vote.

I mean the song... not the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBRsr7AAVbo

Andi
11-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Ronnie James Dio was the fucking *man*.

Holy Diver has my vote.

Deaf&Dumb
02-21-2018, 06:49 AM
Haven't read each response, but my choice would have to be....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

Jon
02-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Yes...I hated to change my vote but as I age I find myself leaning more and more toward those tunes that accentuate the blues.

Cordial Jim
03-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Tough choice, but this one topped my list! Randy Rhoads, what a phenomenal guitarist and composer! We lost him way too early. Ozzy's reaction at the end is priceless! You can tell, he's like, "Holy crap! I've got one hell of a good band here!" :)

https://youtu.be/G3LvhdFEOqs

Jon
03-03-2018, 07:14 PM
May I direct you to a cover of Mr. Crowley by Rob Halford (Judas Priest) Yngwie Johann Malmsteen and Ronnie James Dio?

No video of live work by great to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrg0EKayISg