PDA

View Full Version : March is "love your indie bookstore month" (contest)

Ves'Ka Gan
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I follow Joe Hill's updates on twitter.com and he has been posting about making March 'Love your indie bookstore month" in an attempt to get more people out to their local independent bookstores...

A few minutes ago he announced that he would be hosting a small contest. If you buy a book between now & 12am March 31st (or if you have bought one and saved the receipt since March 1st), scan the receipt showing that you spent more than 99 cents at a local bookstore (receipt must show bookstore's name & phone number) and e-mail it to indie@joehillfiction.com. The "grand" prize is a signed, Slipcased Gunpowder & he is saying he will add more signed books & goodies as the contest goes along.
Full details are here: http://joehillfiction.com/?p=714

I thought I would share with the collector's here...I personally do all my shopping at indie bookstores (no mainstream stores around here!), so I figure what the heck, I'll e-mail my receipt & see what happens!

oh & yes, I realize this will sooner or later be merged with Collectible Hill, but I thought it would be good to have it as it's own topic until the contest is over, so people see it.

Matt
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for posting it Ves, I'm going to have to find a bookstore. :panic:

Daghain
03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
:clap:

That's awesome! *runs off to local bookstore*

Matt
03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
#6 on his rules is cute :lol:

6. What happens if you cheat? Well, if you email me a fake receipt, I probably won’t find out. But your soul will shrivel a little inside you, and you will find your luck turning unexpectedly sour. You will lose your house keys and pinch something sensitive in a zipper. You will step in dog doo on your way to an important event and everyone will think you beshat yourself and try to sit far far away from you. You will have a row with someone you love, learn you owe the IRS money, and grow a third nipple. The cosmos, in other words, will roughly wipe its ass with your karma. Of course if I do find out your entry was bogus, you’re instantly disqualified, and you will still find yourself getting soft parts stuck in zippers

Brice
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll be breaking THAT rule. :rofl:

Ves'Ka Gan
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
He's a very funny guy...oh & he mentioned on his twitterfeed that if you have a book shipped from an indie bookstore somewhere else (if you can't find one near you) then that's acceptable, too.

Matt
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
So that would be basically any book not bought from Target, WalMart, B&N or Borders or something like that?

Like...the book store in the mall?

Brice
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
If it's a privately owned one and not some chain bookstore I'd say it qualifies.

Sam
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
:cry:There aren't any indie bookstores around here any more.

:idea:Do comic book stores count?

Daghain
03-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Book store in the mall is *usually* a chain, though.

We have one independent left in Ft. Collins, and YAY! They are expanding!

ETA: Joe Hill's tweets are funny as hell. I had to turn off phone notifications, though, because he posts 5 or 6 at a time. :lol:

Ves'Ka Gan
03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
On twitter, he further clarified that if you buy a book through Amazon from an independent book store, then that counts too.

& Matt--what is the name of the bookstore in your mall? Because some of those little mall bookstores are owned by B&N & Borders.

Ves'Ka Gan
03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
:cry:There aren't any indie bookstores around here any more.

:idea:Do comic book stores count?
I would bet they do...lemme "tweet" him and ask.

EDIT: I just realized he said to ask at his blog and he'll address it there, so you could ask through the link I listed in my original post.

Matt
03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I will find out if it is independently owned, I'm pretty sure it is.

Just a dude with some books.

Brice
03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Then it likely is.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Christ, I have to find receipts-I've spent >$300 at independent bookstores since 1/01/09

From JH site:

Ground rules:

1. I’m backdating the contest to March 1st. So if you made a purchase earlier in the month, and you’ve still got the receipt, you’re good to go.

2. Your purchase must exceed 99 cents. You do not have a chance at a prize if all you did was go in your local bookstore to buy some mints and use their free internet to browse my twitterfeed.

3. Only one entry per household, please.

4. I’ll play nice, but if necessary, I reserve the right to modify rules for fairness.

5. Contest ends 12PM EST on March 31st, 2009.

6. What happens if you cheat? Well, if you email me a fake receipt, I probably won’t find out. But your soul will shrivel a little inside you, and you will find your luck turning unexpectedly sour. You will lose your house keys and pinch something sensitive in a zipper. You will step in dog doo on your way to an important event and everyone will think you beshat yourself and try to sit far far away from you. You will have a row with someone you love, learn you owe the IRS money, and grow a third nipple. The cosmos, in other words, will roughly wipe its ass with your karma. Of course if I do find out your entry was bogus, you’re instantly disqualified, and you will still find yourself getting soft parts stuck in zippers.

That’s all (for now). Now go to your indie bookstore and buy yerself a book.

Daghain
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, but do you have any dated in March? :lol:

Patrick
03-12-2009, 03:17 AM
:lol:

Shopping at one of our local bookstores is easy to do.
Scanning the receipt is going to be the hurdle. :doh:

turtlex
03-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Grrrrrrr... there's not a "local" bookstore any where near me!

Patrick
03-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Grrrrrrr... there's not a "local" bookstore any where near me!

Pick your State and see a list (http://www.bookweb.org/aba/members/printDirectory.do). Then pick a store that sounds good to you and order something from them. :)

turtlex
03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Wow, thanks Patrick. :couple:

I think there's one listed that is kinda on my way home... I'll have to check it out. I had no clue it was even there !

:rock:

Chooch
03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Yes.... Thankee Patrick

turtlex
03-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey Patrick - Joe Hill's site says a photo of the receipt will do, so you don't have to worry about an actual scan ! :grouphug:

( "send a photo or a scan of the receipt" - from Ves's first linkage )

Ves'Ka Gan
03-13-2009, 11:50 AM
He clarified later that comic books do count, and that online ordering from indie presses do as well.

Subterranean Press just donated 10 cool books and he added a second so there are 12 "prizes" now.

Clacke
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
He clarified later that comic books do count, and that online ordering from indie presses do as well.

Subterranean Press just donated 10 cool books and he added a second so there are 12 "prizes" now.

Yes, some amazing prizes now:

I have great friends. Bill Schafer, owner, editor, CEO, and all-around publishing badass of Subterranean Press, just stepped up to offer 10 limited editions as prizes in The Love-Your-Indie-Bookstore contest. They’re putting up the following:

• 1 Limited Edition of LOCKE & KEY: WELCOME TO LOVECRAFT.

• a 2nd printing limited edition of HEART-SHAPED BOX.

• 1 Limited Edition of the Newbury Award winning THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman.

• 1 Limited Edition of DROOD by Dan Simmons

• 1 Trade Hardcover of THE OTHER IN THE MIRROR by Philip Jose Farmer

• 1 Limited Edition of SEVEN FOR A SECRET by Elizabeth Bear

• 1 ARC of WHERE EVERYTHING ENDS by Ray Bradbury

• 1 Trade Edition of MARIONETTES, INC. by Ray Bradbury

• 1 Trade Edition of VACANCY & ARIEL by Lucius Shepard

• 1 Limited Edition of GARDENS OF THE MOON by Steve Erickson

And I’m going to add 1 first printing of the HEART-SHAPED BOX limited… so now 12 people who enter the Love-Your-Indie-Bookstore contest are going to walk away with a cool, rare book. My thanks to Bill Schafer for pretty much just being himself.

Matt
03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
That is a great list!

Patrick
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
That is a very sweet list. Remember only one entry per household.

Glad that bookstore link helped, turtlex and Chooch.

Cutter
03-17-2009, 05:15 AM
I take it, this isn't used book stores, it's bookstores that sell new books and are independently owned (I might have missed this)?

Daghain
03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Wouldn't a used bookstore also generally be an indie bookstore?

Matt
03-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm going to get my hair cut in Glenwood this weekend and stop by "Through the Looking Glass"--great little book store.

Cutter
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Wouldn't a used bookstore also generally be an indie bookstore?
I would think so, but I don't know?

Heather19
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I was wondering the same thing. There are some wonderful little used bookstores around here, where I can always find good stuff.

Patrick
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't recall the distinction being new vs. used, only independent vs. chain.

Matt
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Got my slip in! :excited:

Wish me luck

<--likes to enter stuff when he can't enter here.