PDA

View Full Version : Spidey on Broadway! Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark

EdwardDean1999
03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
http://gaygamer.net/images/spider-man_musical.jpg

Did you hear about this? Are they serious?

There is apparently going to be a Broadway Musical called: "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark". Music by Bono and The Edge of U2. Directed by Tony Award Winner (and Academy Award Nominated) Julie Taymor. She did "The Lion King" on Broadway and films include "Frida" and "Across the Universe"

Opens February 2010 with previews next January.

All I know about this is what I found here:

http://spidermanonbroadway.marvel.com/

Feel free to post your praise, news, or disgust.

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/images/spiderman_newspaper/ballet_dallas.jpg

idk, my bff jill?
03-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Spidey is already in tights, so it's not surprising his next step is Broadway. :P

P.S. I hate Bono.

Brainslinger
03-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I heard about this on another site. It could be amusing. The Evil Dead musical was popular apparently (I haven't seen it, living on the other side of the pond.)

EdwardDean1999
03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
My prediction is that it will flop miserably. It is just not adaptable to the stage. My guess is the music will be "okay" and the special effects will be overwhelming but the restraints of the theater stage will hamper the story telling. I've seen it before: Elton John and Bernie Taupin's adaptation of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles "Lestat". I was one of the very few to see it on Broadway as it was only open like a month. As a fan of the series I was sorely disappointed.

Evil Dead Musical? I had heard of it but did not get the opportunity to go. I believe it was an off-Broadway production. I wonder if it's still showing...:orely:

The Cosmic Geek
03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I totally fear this muscial but I love Spidey so to be honest, I kind of want to see it.

turtlex
03-04-2009, 03:53 AM
I fear it is one of the Seven Signs of the Apocolypse....

.... and I kind of want to see it, too. Jim Sturgess was great in Across the Universe.

From IGN : February 25, 2009 - We've been hearing rumors about this for awhile, and the first official word on the project has now arrived: The wallcrawler himself, Spider-Man, is heading to the Great White Way -- no, not the Black Cat's Great White Way. We're talking Broadway, here.

The show, called rather cryptically Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark, will begin previews January 16th in advance of a February 18th opening. Variety has the report, adding that the musical will be staged at Broadway's Hilton Theater.

No casting has been announced yet for the project, though The Wrestler's Evan Rachel Wood has previously been quoted as saying she's in the play, presumably as Peter Parker's girl Mary Jane Watson. Meanwhile, Jim Sturgess is expected to play Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The pair previously starred in Across the Universe, which happened to be directed by the queen of Broadway adaptations Julie Taymor (The Lion King), who is also helming Spider-Man for the stage.

flaggwalkstheline
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
GAAAA!!!!!:pullhair:
This is nothing less than people who are certainly NOT comicnerds trivializing my culture!!!!:panic:

turtlex
03-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Oh, I agree completely! ( But likely will still try to get tickets ).

Seymour_Glass
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm going to be the voice of Binky here and say it could be good.
I'll try to see it regardless.

SigTauGimp
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow...can't believe I didn't hear about this until just now...I hope it won't flop, but sadly, it probably will.

On another note, I've watched The Evil Dead musical...it's brilliant...I even went and bought the soundrack. :P

The Cosmic Geek
03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I saw part of the Evil Dead musical on You Tube I believe and loved it. Reall wish I could have seen it. Great movie, great musical it sounded like.

I see you are a Shaun of the Dead fan, as am I. What do you think of a musical of Shaun of the Dead? Could be cool if done properly, it would be a "piece of fried gold".

I really hope the Spider-man musical doesn't suck. I want to see it but am scared it will be bad.

turtlex
03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I am hoping, honestly, with Julie Taymor, Jim Sturggess and Bono/Edge - that's a pretty talented group.... I have, well, kind of high expectations.

The Cosmic Geek
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I find it strange that Bono is doing it. I wonder if he is a Spider-man fan? I also wonder what the songs will sound like? Or the sets or costumes?

turtlex
03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
He worked with Julie Taymor in the film Across The Universe ( same as Jim Sturggess and Wood ).

The Cosmic Geek
03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Jim Sturgges? Didn't he write the songs for Bat Outta Hell?

turtlex
03-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Here's a photo of Jim Sturgess in Across The Universe :

http://nwrann.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tn2_across_the_universe-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure Bat Out Of Hell was Meatloaf and Jim Steinman.

The Cosmic Geek
03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Ah, crap, I cry you pardon. I can't believe I got this wrong. I loved Jim Sturges in Across the Universe. His voice was amazing and I loved his character. I feel like such a fool.

Yeah, it was Steinman for Bat Out of Hell. I really can't believe I mixed the two up.

If Sturgess is playing Spider-man I definitely want to see this.

turtlex
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Cosmic Geek - hey, cut yourself a break! :couple:

Sturgess as Spidey - That's the rumor, my friend, I even found this that someone photoshopped up. Funny.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/jimspiderman.jpg

Also, I've been reading that Evan Rachel Wood is going to be Mary Jane.

It's like half the cast of Across The Universe!

I'm trying not to get too jazzed but the more I hear, the better this could be.

The Cosmic Geek
03-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I heard Rachel Evan Wood is confirmed for MJ. Which is cool, since she has a beautiful voice and has red hair, which MJ does.

(It's funny, Kirsten Dunst wore a wig for MJ and I always felt it looked just OK. Bryce Howard died her hair blonde for Gwen Stacy and I thought she looked perfect in the movie.)

I really like the idea of Sturgess for Peter Parker. I think he can pull it off well. Sounds like two great leads. I'm looking forward to hearing more casting for this.

And that photo shop picture rocks.

Thanks for the hug!

Ruthful
03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I heard about this on another site. It could be amusing. The Evil Dead musical was popular apparently (I haven't seen it, living on the other side of the pond.)

They interviewed George Romero about that a few weeks ago, and he said it was pretty well-crafted, although I don't know that I'd take George Romero's word on the quality of theatrical productions.

turtlex
06-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I got an email from Marvel Pulse indicating that advanced tickets for next Januarywould be available soon to newsletter subscribers. :orely:

turtlex
07-23-2009, 02:45 AM
More news... you know, I might have to go see this thing.

Spider-Man: Who Will Sing With Evan Rachel Wood?

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Evan Rachel Wood is close to finally snagging herself a Spider-Man.

Her singing and dancing Spidey, that is.

It was announced some time ago that Wood is going to play Mary Jane in Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, the upcoming Broadway musical directed by Julie Taymor with music by Bono and his U2 mate The Edge.

While no official announcement has been made about who has landed the coveted role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, a show insider dropped some mighty big hints of who it's likely to be. Read on for the web-slinging details…

Spider-Man choreographer Daniel Ezralow describes the top candidate as the lead singer of a rock band who has "the right energy, the naivetι [and] the right innocence" to play the part.

Could it be singer Reeve Carney, frontman of a band called Carney? Buzz about him began back in March when he performed at a sneak peak of the show that Taymor and Bono hosted for the media. (Who is this Carney? Check out the band's official website here.)

"We've put a few people through a lot of auditions," Ezralow told us last night at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences' TV Moves! 2 Live event. "They've come back numerous times to sing for Bono and Julie and to work with me, learning how to get in the harness and start flying and flipping through the air."

He continued, "We haven't made the final decision, but we're in the ninth hour."

Ezralow says expect Spider-Man to be a "Broadway and Cirque du Soleil hybrid."

If Taymor was able to make the Lion King musical into an international hit, we're sure she'll be able to do the same with the superhero.

turtlex
03-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Well... gonna have to resurrect this thread.

Apparently Evan Rachel Wood has dropped from the cast.

Wood Exits Spider-Man Broadway Show
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Evan Rachel Wood has dropped out of the Broadway show "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark." The production is rumored to be getting previews in late summer ahead of an official opening around Halloween.

Producers of Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," in which Wood would have played Mary Jane opposite Reeve Carney as Peter Parker and Alan Cumming as the Green Goblin, confirmed the exit.

"Evan Rachel Wood has departed 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' due to a scheduling conflict," they said. "Casting is underway to find a new Mary Jane to join the rest of the cast in the production."

The show, helmed by Julie Taymor, will feature music by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Woofer
03-22-2010, 06:39 AM

They interviewed George Romero about that a few weeks ago, and he said it was pretty well-crafted, although I don't know that I'd take George Romero's word on the quality of theatrical productions.

But a musical crafted on The Evil Dead wouldn't be the same type of musical as one crafted on, for example, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. (There probably is a CB Great Pumpkin musical.)

Because of The Evil Dead's cult status, including low production value, hammy acting, and cheesy effects, it naturally lends itself to a much cheesier musical. The trilogy managed to keep it light, cheesy, and hammy despite having better and better production quality. I would expect an ED musical to feel Rocky Horroresque.

SigTauGimp
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Well... gonna have to resurrect this thread.

Apparently Evan Rachel Wood has dropped from the cast.

Wood Exits Spider-Man Broadway Show
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Evan Rachel Wood has dropped out of the Broadway show "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark." The production is rumored to be getting previews in late summer ahead of an official opening around Halloween.

Producers of Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," in which Wood would have played Mary Jane opposite Reeve Carney as Peter Parker and Alan Cumming as the Green Goblin, confirmed the exit.

"Evan Rachel Wood has departed 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' due to a scheduling conflict," they said. "Casting is underway to find a new Mary Jane to join the rest of the cast in the production."

The show, helmed by Julie Taymor, will feature music by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Wow...I can't believe she dropped from it. Especially with it starting this year and all.

hhmm...I wonder who the replacement will be. :orely:

turtlex
03-23-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm guessing a big part of that "scheduling conflicts" has to do with the fact that no one had yet been cast as Spidey. That's sort of rediculous, honestly.

A show that big - with what has to be a LOT of staging and blocking - they should already be doing choreograhpy and at least pre-lim dress rehearsals.

So, now, there's a show, with no actors cast in the two lead parts. Oh, yeah, that'll last past the previews.

SigTauGimp
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
XD

My thoughts exactly.

turtlex
08-11-2010, 04:24 AM
"Spider-Man" musical set to open on Broadway

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The long-awaited Spider-Man musical with music by U2 members Bono and The Edge, will open on Broadway in December, the show's producers said on Tuesday, after being caught in financial problems.

"Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark," which has been in the making for several years and was originally due to open earlier this year, will begin preview performances on November 14 with opening night set for December 21, the show's producer Michael Cohl said in a statement.

Inspired by the Marvel Comics hero that has also been turned into a series of Hollywood films, the musical will spin a new take on the story of teenage science geek Peter Parker, who is bitten by a genetically-altered spider and wakes up the next morning clinging to the ceiling, the producer said.

The musical is expected to be the most expensive in Broadway history, with local media reporting it to cost up to US$50 million to stage.

The title character will be played by actor and singer Reeve Carney, who fronts rock band Carney and appeared in the film, "Snow Falling on Cedars."

Jennifer Damiano of the Broadway musical "Next to Normal" has replaced Evan Rachel Wood to play Mary Jane Watson, and Patrick Page from "The Lion King" replaces Alan Cumming to play Normon Osborn/The Green Goblin.

turtlex comment : Um...who is playing Spidey? And so long Evan Rachel Wood?! Not a good sign.

Hartter
08-13-2010, 02:50 AM
boo

Brice
08-13-2010, 02:53 AM
Okay, maybe it'll be fantastic, but my initial reaction to a Spidey broadway musical is... :wtf:

turtlex
08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, at first - I will admit, besides the giggle it caused, I was a little interested - so long as the originally announced or rather, proposed, cast was in place ( Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood ) ... with this cast, and all the delays - just ... no thank you.

turtlex
10-06-2010, 03:08 AM
'Spider-Man' is off and running
By MARK KENNEDY, AP Drama Writer

NEW YORK – There's something wrong in "Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark" — and only Julie Taymor can hear it.

"Stop a second," she says inside the Foxwoods Theatre in Times Square during a recent rehearsal of the much-delayed show. "We need a sound effect."

The swelling music abruptly stops. The five actors on stage — including Reeve Carney as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Jennifer Damiano as Mary Jane — become still. The stage lights end their dance.

Taymor's right: The sound of an angry door slam wasn't heard.

"We're on it," says a sound engineer.

There's naturally much to get done before the costly and complicated show opens on Dec. 21, but a recent visit by The Associated Press revealed a methodical and remarkably calm production.

Michael Cohl, the lead producer, is asked how it's all going. "Very complicated, very quickly and very slowly — all at the same time," he says with a weary smile. "We're fine. We'll be there."

The musical has been in the works for more than six years, starting with an announcement about the show in 2004. Since then, producers have come and gone, and so have some cast members — Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming were once cast as Mary-Jane and the Green Goblin.

Spider-Man may be the hero on the stage, but it is Cohl who might be considered the production's savior after he came in and financially stabilized a musical that had been dogged by money problems.

"The budget's OK," he says. "It's a new budget every day."

When open, this reported $60 million show will have 41 cast members, 18 orchestra members and about 18 new songs by U2's Bono and the Edge. It will have as its main lead a singer in a rock band whose biggest acting credit so far is in Taymor's upcoming adaptation of "The Tempest."

Yet there seems no panic, no screaming. The cast seems loose, the engineers unruffled, the pauses between resets without tension. Someone on the technical side even has her tiny dog on her lap, its head bathed in the light of a computer screen.

Between scenes, the Cirque du Soleil-designed aerial technology is practiced. "OK, we're going hot!" comes the warning. A moment later, a stuntman in a harness soars over the crowd at 40 mph, looping huge circles that make even the jaded gasp.

"It turns you into a 7-year-old," says Isabel Keating, the Tony nominated actress of "The Boy From Oz," "Enchanted April" and "Hairspray" who will be playing Peter Parker's Aunt May.

The scale of it all hits you as soon as you enter the massive theater, which will seat 1,960 when ready. The orchestra section's seats have been yanked up to make room for dozens of makeshift boards acting as desks, crammed with laptops, phones and monitors. The balcony is packed with hulking equipment blinking tiny LEDs. It resembles a NASA control room.

At the center of it all is the flight director, Taymor, the director and co-book writer. She often leaves her perch in the center of the rows to wander about, communicating to all through a microphone attached to a headset. Everyone calls it the "God mic."

"Let's try it again, OK?" she says.

For several hours on this day, Taymor and members of her award-winning team — including lighting designer Donald Holder ("South Pacific," "The Lion King"), costume designer Eiko Ishioka (Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula"), sound designer Jonathan Deans ("Fosse," "Ragtime") and set designer George Tsypin ("The Little Mermaid") — practice and tweak a scene from early in Act I.

In it, nerdy Peter Parker's glasses are broken by bullies outside his high school (the fictional Queens High School). On his walk home he sings the mournful "Anywhere But Here" and joins up with Mary Jane, his neighbor and crush. They trudge along on a circular conveyor belt built into the stage.

Taymor stops the action at one point to discuss the best location for Parker's book bag to be retrieved after the bullying. Carney points to a spot, saying it makes most sense for the next scene. They calmly reach an agreement and try it all again.

If the pressure is getting to either — one the Tony Award winning creator of "The Lion King" and the other a virtual unknown singer thrust into the hottest Broadway spotlight — it's not evident.

The sets change as Carney and Damiano — who was in "Spring Awakening" and earned a featured actress Tony nomination for "Next to Normal" — walk on the conveyor belt. A small train chugs along on tracks high above them near the rendering of a bridge.

Huge panels depicting houses along the route open and close as if a comic book is being read. It's all drawn in bold, pop art style that overemphasizes angles and perspective.

"Peter," Mary Jane says as the couple end their walk and stand in front of their respective houses. "You're a good person."

"Yeah, well," he answers. "I don't know what that gets you."

Taymor stops the practice session again. Something is not right.

LadyHitchhiker
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I actually love musicals, so I would want to see this. I think it would make it great...

turtlex
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Spider-Man musical delays it's opening on Broadway

.NEW YORK – Spider-Man is having trouble getting off the ground on Broadway.

Producers of "Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark" are delaying by three weeks the opening of the costly and complicated show, meaning it will only be available for previews after the busy Thanksgiving holiday.

Originally scheduled to begin previews on Nov. 14 with an opening four days before Christmas, the show will now begin previews on Nov. 28 and open Jan. 11.

Lead producer Michael Cohl says "getting it right takes time," citing an "unprecedented level of technical artistry" for the delay.

It's the latest blow for the Julie Taymor-led show that features music by U2's Bono and The Edge. Delays have cropped up and producers have come and gone. Two actors have been injured while practicing aerial stunts.

turtlex comments : Gee, color me not surprised by this.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/V_mask_50.gif Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

turtlex
11-23-2010, 03:23 AM
U2's Bono, The Edge talk about making 'Spider-Man'
By MARK KENNEDY, AP Drama Writer

NEW YORK – Creating a megamusical is no easy feat, even in the hands of U2 megastars Bono and The Edge.

"Easier than we could ever have imagined. Harder than we ever thought," says Bono, resting on a Times Square hotel bed near where "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" is readying for its first preview.

"I mean, easier in the sense that the music came to us effortlessly. Dreaming up the show, the scale of it, the flying sequence, the pop art opera that it is — that was all pure joy," he adds. "What we didn't realize was how difficult it is to stage this stuff, both technically and financially."

It's been a long, strange trip for the rock duo's first attempt at a Broadway show. But the end is in sight: Years of delays and behind-the-scenes shake-ups will end Sunday when the public finally gets to see the reported $60 million musical for the first time. The first preview is naturally sold out.

"Is there jeopardy?" asks Bono, U2's main songwriter and lead singer. "Yes. Because it's technically very difficult. It has never been achieved before — the kind of scale of what we're looking for. There may be very good reasons. We're going to find out. The expense of it? A lot of it was the delays."

He and The Edge, the band's lead guitarist, signed on back in 2002 to write the score in partnership with co-writer and director Julie Taymor, the Tony Award-winning creator of the Broadway hit "The Lion King." The death of a key producer slowed the production for nearly two years while raising money, and the sheer size of the show — enormous sets, a 41-member cast and aerial stunts — needed time to perfect.

"If the rabbit comes out of the hat, we will be, I think, rewarded. If the rabbit comes out of the leg of the trousers, we could be figures of fun for a few days. Or worse. Maybe looking for a job," he says.

The musical has 40 pieces of music in total, including 18 songs. Only one tune — the glam rocker "A Boy Falls From the Sky" — is widely known, but Bono and The Edge say the show's music runs the gamut from garage rock ("Dancing Off the Walls") to choral arrangements. Only four or five are rock songs and the musicians want to dispel the notion that they've created a rock opera similar to The Who's "Tommy."

"It's much more varied than anything we would ever achieve or set out to do with U2," says The Edge. Adds Bono: "There's big, otherworldly melodies. There's dance numbers. There's experimental, avant-garde, jagged metal pieces."

The music for the show will be performed live from an 18-member orchestra in two rooms backstage. Two musicians from the band Carney will be on stage alongside their lead singer, Reeve Carney, who plays Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Bono says only two songs had their start before the project began and the rest were custom created for the show. Sometimes, he and The Edge would come up with an idea for a song, and other times the scene came first.

"We would always defer to the needs of the story and characters," says The Edge. "It was a fun project and it was in that spirit of fun and just letting your imagination go off that a lot of this stuff came together."

They hope the experience will unlock the songwriting and expand their vocabulary — or at least shake things up — when they rejoin bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. in U2.

"As much as we've used our experiences with U2 to inform the way that we approach writing for this, we think that the opposite will happen, and when we come back to U2 Land, it'll be with a certain knowledge and sense of new thoughts and new ideas," The Edge says.

Both men are happy with the final product, layering praise on Taymor, whom Bono calls a "master of her form, a great storyteller and she believes in magic." He also calls Eiko Ishioka, who did the costumes, and George Tsypin, the set-maker, as "two card-carrying geniuses."

Bono has been inside the sprawling Foxwoods Theatre on 42nd Street and says that despite the delays, the mood is upbeat, from the top creative people to the stagehands. New paint and carpet have been placed in the theater's lobbies in anticipation of final dress rehearsals later this week.

"I think even though it looks like there's a lot of ill will against us, I think it'll turn around," he says. "If it's just spectacle, we will have failed. But if you can be moved, and if you believe these characters, and if Spider-Man outlives his fabulism and you really buy into the myth, it's a great American story."

___

Online:

http://spidermanonbroadway.marvel.com

turtlex
12-20-2010, 03:45 AM
turtlex comments : Looks like I might have to rename this thread ... will Spidey ever open on Broadway?!?? I smell an insurance claim and no opening. I head that every preview has been plagued with issues ... mostly around Spidey and his "flying" around the stage. Multiple stoppages due to issues with harnesses and stunts.

"Spider-Man" opening officially delayed
By Bryan Alexander

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The trouble-plagued Broadway production of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," featuring music from U2's Bono and the Edge, has delayed its opening night until February 7, according to a release from the production company.

The original opening night was January 11.

Lead producer Michael Cohl said in a statement: "Due to some unforeseeable setbacks, most notably the injury of a principal cast member, it has become clear that we need to give the team more time to fully execute their vision."

"'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' is an extremely ambitious undertaking, as everyone knows, and I have no intention of cutting a single corner in getting to the finish line," he added.

The Hollywood Reporter said earlier this week that the $65 million Broadway production was going to be delayed once again.

But despite technical glitches and actor injuries (villainess Natalie Mendoza received a concussion after being struck in the head by equipment backstage; she returned Wednesday; a flying performer broke both his wrists while rehearsing), news about the daring stunts has only fueled interest in the production.

During its first week of previews, the show grossed $919,457 from five performances at the theater. That's 98.2% capacity at an average ticket price of $97.11.

Three previews were canceled; had the show played a full eight performances, it could have made nearly $1.5 million.

turtlex
12-21-2010, 03:04 AM
turtlex comments : Perhaps they should consider ending this thing before someone actually dies.

Broadway 'Spider-Man' stunt double falls to stage
By JOHN CARUCCI and TOM McELROY, Associated Press J

.NEW YORK – The troubled Broadway musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" was plagued by its fourth accident since it began previews last month when an actor performing an aerial stunt fell about 30 feet, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the Foxwoods Theatre at about 10:45 p.m. Monday after the 31-year-old actor fell near the end of the latest preview performance. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, police said.

Police did not release the actor's name, but a performer in the show identified him as Christopher Tierney. The performer spoke on condition of anonymity because the performer was not authorized to speak publicly about the accident.

A nurse at Bellevue Hospital said that a Christopher Tierney was admitted and was in stable condition, but would not provide details.

Tierney is the show's main aerialist and performs stunts for the roles of Spider-Man, and the villains Meeks and Kraven.

Tierney fell during a scene in which Spider-Man rescues his love interest, Mary Jane, but managed to land on his feet, the performer said. It was unclear if the actor was properly harnessed before the accident.

Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the production, said the fall happened about seven minutes before the end of the performance, and the show was stopped.

"All signs were good as he was taken to the hospital for observation," Miramontez said.

On Friday, the shows lead producer Michael Cohl delayed the shows official opening for the second time, pushing it back 27 days, from Jan. 11 to Feb. 7.

In a statement that day, Cohl said, "The creative team is implementing truly exciting changes throughout the preview process. Due to some unforeseeable setbacks, most notably the injury of a principal cast member, it has become clear that we need to give the team more time to fully execute their vision."

The $65 million musical was conceived by Tony Award-winning director and co-writer Julie Taymor and U2's Bono and The Edge, who wrote the music. More than eight years in the making, delays and money woes have plagued the show's launch. Three other accidents have injured actors, including one who had both his wrists broken while practicing an aerial stunt.

The first preview on Nov. 28 did not go well. The musical had to be halted five times because of technical glitches and actress Natalie Mendoza — who plays Spider-Man's evil love interest Arachne — was hit in the head by a rope and suffered a concussion. Her injury would eventually keep her sidelined for two weeks.

The show — whose costs easily dwarf Broadway's last costliest show, the $25 million "Shrek The Musical" — may be about a comic-book hero, but it has now itself become easy fodder for comics, with both Conan O'Brien and "Saturday Night Live" spoofing it.