PDA

View Full Version : Lost chapter in Hearts in Atlantis?

Ari_Racing
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I read the intro of "Low men in yellow coats" present in "Stephen King goes to the Movies" and it mentions one chapter King didn't write yet for Hearts in Atlantis. It's called "The house on Benefit Street" and it's the story of what happened to Carol (Bobby childhood's girlfriend).

Hope King will write it and it'd see the light in a S/L illustrated by Michael Whelan (it's his favourite book). :)

mia/susannah
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I hope he does as well. I have yet to finish this book. But I only have a few more pages. I enjoy this story and would like to know about Carol.

jhanic
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
I've also heard of this "story"--according to Justin Brooks' Primary Bibliography, it is an uncompleted novel, started around 1974, entitled "The House on Value Street" that was a retelling of the kidnapping of Patty Hearst by the SLA. Brooks quotes from Danse Macabre about it. I don't have a copy of Danse Macabre handy right now, but I'm sure you can find reference to it in there.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
That's a different story John. The house on Value Street became the basis for The Stand.

Ari_Racing
02-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Marsha's reply at the forums:

Steve got the idea to do this 2 or 3 years ago, I think. He had asked me to get the audio versions of Hearts in Atlantis to listen to while he drove to Florida to get him back in the groove and then planned to begin writing it when he arrived. I don't know what happened between November and January, but he started writing another project instead. I'd asked him recently if he still planned to write it but he wasn't sure if he would as he has other projects (it's killing me that I can't say anything yet ) he's working on that are taking priority.

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
the only "missing" story I'm interested in the as of yet untold adventures of patrick danville

mia/susannah
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I will have to read over Danse Macrebae and Stephen King goes to the movies. I hope he does finish it though

herbertwest
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Marsha's reply at the forums:

he has other projects (it's killing me that I can't say anything yet )

So it's not Mortality, nor Under the Dome

:orely:

Bev Vincent
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
No, The House On Value was what he was working on before he wrote The Stand. He'd also tried it before and gave up on it both times.

The only link to The Stand is that he thought at one point the SLA members would all be immune to Captain Trips and the description of Donald Defreeze from the SLA as a "dark man" got him thinking more about Randall Flagg.

The real story King wanted to write was a "roman a clef" about the Patti Hearst kidnapping, and Carol's situation with another RF is very much in line with that original concept.

Randall Flagg
02-24-2009, 02:50 PM
So, what should we do with this thread?

Patrick
02-25-2009, 12:32 AM
So, what should we do with this thread?Merge it into the collector questions thread perhaps.

mae
02-25-2009, 06:37 AM
There was similar talk about this tidbit in the "Goes to the Movies" thread, too.