PDA

View Full Version : New Batwoman Title - Batwoman in Detective Comics

turtlex
02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
New Batwoman is Gay - DC Comics Confirms Rumors.

The flame-haired lesbian crime-fighter is taking over from Bruce Wayne, who suffered an untimely demise in a recent issue of Detective Comics' longest-running series.

For over 60 years, Wayne has fronted the iconic Batman publication. His apparent passing has paved the way for

Batwoman - who is described as a "lesbian socialite by night and a crime-fighter by later in the night" -

to take over the reigns for at least 12 issues in a run that begins this June.

Writer Greg Rucka told the Comic Book Resources website that the introduction of a lesbian character into the DC roster was "long overdue". "We have been waiting to unlock her," he said. "Yes, she's a lesbian. She's also a redhead. It is an element of her character. It is not her character".

He went on to dismiss fears of a possible backlash from fans. "If people are going to have problems with it, that's their issue", Rucka said. "That's certainly not mine."

Batwoman - whose alter-ego is Katherine "Kate" Kane - was introduced into the DC character stable in 1956 as a love interest for the Dark Knight. Her appearance helped stifle persisting rumours about Batman's own sexuality.

She was first 'outed' by her creators in 2006 as a former lover of Gotham City police detective Renee Montoya. She has made cameo appearances in the comic series, but her elevation to alpha superhero has been celebrated by gay rights groups.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation praised DC for their efforts to diversify their characters.

Writers have refused to confirm whether Batman may be reincarnated in a future issue, saying simply that he is "elsewhere".

Sam
02-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I love the way they said, "yeah and she also has red hair, so what about it?"

Batman wil be back, just like Superman came back and like Steve Rogers/Captain America will be back.

Emily
02-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I think this is fantastic. From a comic book reader's point of view, I'm excited to be able to read about that aspect of a superhero's life, and as a human being I'm excited for the LGBT community, things like this are awesome.

turtlex
02-14-2009, 07:07 AM
I've been hearing rumors about this for what seems like a year now. I hope they do a good job - most importantly, I hope they have good storylines. Gay or not, a comic has to be well written and have a good plot. We have to care about the character, not just their characteristics.

The Cosmic Geek
02-14-2009, 05:30 PM
I remember when they first introduced this Batwoman character. It was pretty big news since she is a lesbian. Some people were upset, some weren't. Me, I didn't mind, my sister is a lesbian so I thought it was pretty cool.

If anyone is interested in an excellent comic dealing with slice of life stories, check out Strangers in Paradise. Terry Moore writes some of the most convincing characters ever, one of which is a lesbian.

turtlex
02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh, I love Strangers In Paradise. It's a great series. I also love Maggie and Hopey, from Love and Rockets.

And wow, I can only dream that the writing and the art on the new Batwoman is as good as either of those titles.

The Cosmic Geek
02-14-2009, 05:52 PM
A fellow Strangers fan? Cool. I love Moore's art. He captured the perfect facial expressions with his characters, something you really don't see enough in comics. Love his pencils and love how that book is inked, looks so beautiful.

turtlex
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Update, from what I can tell - Batwoman will not have her own title, but will be taking over/appearing in Detective Comics for a "at least" a 12 issue arc, starting with #854 ( I believe this is the June ).

flaggwalkstheline
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
shes not going to be his replacement permanently, the storyline Battle for the cowl will clear it up more, and anyway the omega beams smoked bruces corpse but sent him spiralling through the multiverse, at the end of final crisis he was living in a cave in prehistoric times

turtlex
02-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Righto!

Also, I suspect, if the 12 issues due well... spin-off title.

flaggwalkstheline
02-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I for one am in the camp of sickos who hope batman gets recruited to be a black lantern

turtlex
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
This issue just hit the stands.

Patrick
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Now that I know of its existence, I'll pick up a copy when I fetch my Locke & Key that also came out this week.

I hope the character and the storylines live up to everyone's expectations and sell well.

Thanks, Pam.

turtlex
07-03-2009, 03:49 AM
http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/1/11866_400x600.jpg

The issue is actually DETECTIVE COMICS # 854.

Info :
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by JH Williams III and Cully Hamner
Cover by JH Williams III
Variant Cover by JG Jones

"Elegy" part 1 of 4! A new era in the history of DETECTIVE COMICS begins as Batwoman is unleashed on Gotham City! Marked by the blood-red bat, Kate Kane is a soldier fighting her own private war – one that began years ago and haunts her every waking moment. With a script by Greg Rucka and breath-taking art by JH Williams III, you've never seen anything like this!

32pg. / Color / $3.99 US
On Sale June 24, 2009

turtlex
07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Okay, I hate to go jumping the gun on this but I picked up 854 today and actually enjoyed it... go figure. The art/color is very vibrant and I like it alot. The writing is pretty good and honestly, I'm sucked into the story already and am looking forward to the next issue.

That's more than I can say for several of the Marvel Noir titles.

It's got some angst, and I love that in my comics.

turtlex
07-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Cool preview page from 854 :

Featuring Kate Kane and her father.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/dccomics/detective/williams3/batwoman1-ink-col-pg015.jpg

ETA: The first frame, she's showing her father a scar on her chest where she was stabbed in the heart and the voice bubble that belongs there is something along the lines of "I never forget what happened" or "how could I forget what happened" .. you get the idea. She's not flashing her father, in other words.

Patrick
07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I bought it. I read it. I liked it. :thumbsup:

turtlex
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Patrick. I wasn't sure if it was just me. :couple:

Brainslinger
07-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I haven't read it, but this guy gave it a thumbs up in his article (http://www.noisetosignal.org/2009/06/panel-beating-the-pull-list). (It's pretty long, but the bat-stuff is near the start.) It seems the new Batman and Robin comics are getting positive reviews too.

turtlex
07-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Wow, you know, I'm a Marvel-Girl usually, but honestly - I am truly enjoying this new title... DC comes through.

And thanks for the link !!

turtlex
07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow. Looks like 854 is a SELLOUT and they're going for a 2nd printing.

Here's the new cover :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3698786546_67953dfe5f.jpg

Patrick
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
What is the release date, Pam?

Cool cover, by the way.

turtlex
07-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Patrick - I'm not sure. They just announced it... like on Tuesday early. I got the info from JH Williams III's website (http://www.jhwilliams3.com).

I would guess, by the end of the month. I'm going to check with my comic guy on Friday to see if they are ordering or not.

And - hey, mister - make sure you board and bag that first printing you have now !!!

From J3's blog : I thought I’d add a little commentary to this. This cover design was literally at the last minute. We got the notice from DC Monday afternoon about going back to press and they wanted a new cover FAST! Like the very next morning fast. So the best solution was to come up with a simple design and add The Question as an additional point of interest. Since I had almost no time to get an image to Dave for him to have time to toy with it, we had to go with a wash and marker sketch look that Dave would colorize different parts of the drawing. I did the sketch art, scanned it, placed it into the blue circle and red lighting bolt design, then finished it up by adding the colored text. This then went off to Dave, and after discussing things with him a bit the next morning, it was done. The entire process was accomplished in roughly 6 hrs total. I’m happy with it even though I had no time to really do a tighter drawing. The looseness in combination with the simple graphic palette approach, working in tandem with the logo font style, looks classic and modern at the same time. A rush job, but a nice stylish one I think.

turtlex
07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Well, if everything works out okay - I am now the very proud owner of an original piece of comic art!!!

http://www.jhwilliams3.com/images/pages/200907/det854p10.jpg

Page 10 of issue 854 !!!

jhanic
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Congratulations, Pam!

John

turtlex
07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks, John. I am thrilled.

turtlex
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Well, if everything works out okay - I am now the very proud owner of an original piece of comic art!!!

http://www.jhwilliams3.com/images/pages/200907/det854p10.jpg

Page 10 of issue 854 !!!

Sorry for the double post but wanted to add this note and it needs the graphic.

I contacted the artist ( JH Williams III ) and asked why the page is titled "Batwoman 1" rather than "Detective Comics 854".

This is his response : "The art on the first issue or so says Batwoman instead of Detective Comics because when I was working on it the plan was for that to be the name of the title, then DC decided to place us in Detective Comics after we had been working on the material for awhile."

Interesting, I thought.

Oh, I also asked him to sign the page, and he agreed. :rock:

oy-the-brave
07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Very nice Pam, congrats :clap:

turtlex
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks, Dave. I'm so pleased.

Fellow Readers - Issue 855 is out next week. FYI.

turtlex
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Issue 855 is out this week. And, I continue to be impressed by the art and coloring. Amazing. The story is very good too, though this issue feels shorter than the previous.

The Cover :
http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/2/12058_400x600.jpg

Interior Art :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3600/3775813924_c0f2411848_b.jpg

turtlex
08-04-2009, 04:17 AM
Another good review for Detective Comics featuring Batwoman.

Via Newsarama
Detective Comics #855
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by J.H. Williams III and Cully Hamner
Colors by Dave Stewart and Laura Martin
Letters by Todd Klein and Jared K. Fletcher
Published by DC Comics
Review by David Pepose

Last month I raved about the opening issue of the all-new, all-different, all-awesome Detective Comics, and I'm happy to say that this sophomore issue isn't half-bad, either. While it doesn't have quite the same blow-you-out-of-the-water effect of the first issue, it still helps raise the bar for DC's overhaul of the Batman franchise, with a story that stretches itself as far as it can go to produce a value not often seen in today's industry.

The best way to split this up is to look at the writing and the art separately. Greg Rucka, having wrapped up much of Kate's current status quo in the last issue, goes full throttle with Batwoman's war on the Cult of Crime. If you haven't read the first issue yet, get that one first, as Rucka puts the pedal to the metal in Round One of Batwoman versus Alice. Looking at it from a script perspective, Rucka really is upping the ante nicely here, with a nice scene reminiscent of the Dark Knight where Batwoman begins removing weapon after hidden weapon from Alice's costume. He also establishes a weird sense of menace for the villainous Alice: "How do you know I'm mad?" she asks. "Maybe because you speak fluent crazy," Batwoman shoots back. It's moments like these that really add a zing to the story: "I will get my answer," Kate vows, "And I will shut you and your freakshow down!"

Yet the highlight of this story is getting into Kate's storied past, as she begins hallucinating due to a poisoned blade. As our hero struggles valiantly to survive, we see Kate's history of torture that goes far beyond the followers of the Crime Bible, and yet we also get a nice tease of who she sees as her salvation -- not herself, not her father, but of the strongest woman she ever met -- Renee Montoya. Even two issues in, it looks like Rucka is setting up the seeds for these two lovers to get back together (or at least to have one epic, swashbuckling team-up), but it really says volumes about what this character can strive to become. But it's the last page that really turns the story on its ear, and makes you really wonder what'll happen next.

Now, for the art. J.H. Williams III, while not knocking it out of the park as repeatedly as he did last issue, still stands head and shoulders above many of his contemporaries. One sequence that really had a Frank Quitely style of visceral imagination was suddenly taking the "camera" into Alice's mouth, as she slowly tongues a razor blade to her lips, slashing Batwoman across the face with it. "Okay," Batwoman says, after a look of disbelief washes across her face. "That was just nasty." As a reader, I definitely agree. While sometimes Williams' double-page splashes don't quite hit the mark with their composition, it's really in the second half of the book that he kicks things into high gear, with a spectacular-looking shot of Batwoman leaping from a castle parapet, gliding across a sky sliced in half with a lightning bolt.

While Williams' art is still top-notch, the color work felt occasionally muddy to me. In the first issue, Dave Stewart really made Kate pop off the page with her bright red hair and porcelain skin. In this issue, Batwoman seemed to match her surroundings more, but that realism sometimes kept the character from really getting her hooks into the reader. That said, because of the way this book suddenly energizes itself two-thirds from the end, part of me wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't some sort of printing error -- because when Stewart puts his mind to it, his colors sing.

But what about the backstory? Rucka makes The Question primarily an action story, which is fine by me. Renee Montoya has a nice bit of bravado, as slave trafficker Vargas says he's going to have to teach the Faceless Warrior a lesson. "Great," Renee says. "I love school." Hamner has a nicely choreographed fight scene, with a great panel of Renee looking at us as she tosses a scattergun behind her. That said, I'm still not sold on an all-blue costume for the Question, and in this case, the decision to drench the fight sequence in shades of brown -- from the house to the sky to the fence to even bits of Vargas' bloody nose -- didn't thrill me. Yet Hamner and Martin really sell me on this feature when they team up for a nice page of Renee infiltrating Chandless' office, giving some great facial expressions to the page. It certainly ends abruptly, but I'm excited to see where Rucka and company take us next with this feature.

All in all, while Rucka, Williams, and Stewart aren't firing on all cylinders like they did last issue, this is definitely a story that I'm going to be in for the long haul. With 35 pages of story -- counting Rucka's main feature, the Question second feature, as well as a compelling five-page preview of Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul's Adventure Comics -- you're certainly getting a lot of bang for your buck with Detective Comics #855, and with Rucka masterfully leading a set of artists that really shoot for the moon, you can't ask for much more in a comic.

Original Review Linkage (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070931-BSEDetective855.html)

turtlex
09-06-2009, 03:48 AM
For those interested, a cool interview with JHW3 (http://www.sidebarnation.com/my_weblog/2009/09/jh-williams-iii.html) the amazing artist of the new Batwoman/Detective Comics arc. And another interview (http://www.gothamknightsonline.blogspot.com/2009/09/exclusive-interview-with-jh-williams.html) ... JH Williams III is getting a lot of attention for his work on this title.

turtlex
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Just picked up the latest issue # 857 - and I'm loving this title. Specifically, the art is absolutely wonderful. JH Williams III is just amazing and the color work is great... also, it doesn't hurt that Greg Rucka is the writer either. It's a triple threat for a great comic!

Patrick
10-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I keep buying this title, but I need to get caught up on the reading of it.

turtlex
10-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Patrick - The current mini arc ends in this issue, and then they're starting what is supposed to be a very intense backstory explaination. The writing is dead on, but frankly the art and coloring are just out of this world.

darkwolf
10-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I haven't read Detective Comics in ages... But wow, that art... phew! Some of the best I've seen! I just may have to pick this up for the art and coloring alone!

turtlex
10-03-2009, 05:38 PM
darkwolf - I can't recommend it high enough. Greg Rucka is a great writer but the art is mindblowingly great. I love it.

The current Batwoman run in Detective Comics started with 854 ( which was a sell-out, and went to a second printing ).

From contact with JH Williams III ( the artist ), DC originally was going to try a Batwoman title, but decided after the fact to "turn over" Detective Comics to her for a 12 issue run.

Sam
10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I wonder if that was done as a try-out or was there some sort of pressure put on the DC powers-that-be. I've not seen this sort of thing before with an obvious "title character", outside of Jean-Paul Valley's run as Batman of course, but he WAS Batman not Azrael.

turtlex
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
What JHW3 said was that they ( the artist and writer ) were told after they had already started writing Batwoman as a "solo" title - that they ( DC ) were going to fold Batwoman into Detective Comics after all.

This came up because I purchased some art from JHW3 and the pages are titled "Batwoman" and he explained to me that originally she was to have her own title, but that DC changed their mind.

Personally - my thoughts alone here - I think it's because Kate Kane/Batwoman really does embody the true "Detective Comics" feel. She doesn't really need a new title. However, it's selling very well, so if it keeps up - likely they'll give Kate her own title after the 12 issue Detective Comics run.

Seems to me that Rucka is giving Kate a good foundation and back-story which are completely and utterly necessary for a title to have any kind of longevity.

Patrick
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
This may be heresy to the true comic-philes, but I'd be fine if they let Batwoman keep Detective Comics for an open-ended foreseeable future, and let Bruce Wayne have the rest of the titles. There's enough to keep him busy.

Sam
10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Actually, that would be very cool I think. Detective Comics didn't start with the Batman. He didn't show up until issue 27 if I remember correctly.

Patrick
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh, so he's a newbie.

:lol:

turtlex
10-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Great interview with JHWilliamsIII, Batwoman artist (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091002-detective-jh-williams.html).

turtlex
12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
JH Williams III ( Detective Comics / Batwoman ) has been named Wizard Magazine's ARTIST of THE YEAR for 2009.

As a big fan of this Detective Comics / Batwoman arc - I'm thrilled to see this. He's truly an amazing artist.

turtlex
12-24-2009, 04:03 AM
Awesome news from Newsarama :

Greg Rucka & J.H. Williams To Launch New BATWOMAN Title?
By Lucas Siegel & Michael Doran

Even as Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III, the writer and artist of Detective Comics, are leaders in our Reader Favorites of 2009 Polls, the writer dropped a possible bombshell on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon. The writer linked to a post on the official DCU Blog, The Source, talking about the end of the current storyline in the critically-acclaimed title, telling the origin of Batwoman. Rucka's accompanying statement, however, suggested not the end of the storyline, but the end of their run altogether, saying "JH and I finishing our Detective run... more news to come."

That news may have actually already come a week or so back. In a soon-to-be published exclusive podcast interview with John Siuntres of Word Balloon conducted December 8th, Rucka stated that not only will his and William's run conclude at least for now with Detective #860, but the creative team's current plans are to reunite to launch a new Batwoman title in 2010.

In the interview with Word Balloon, Rucka says he will remain on Detective at least through issues #861-863 for a story arc illustrated by Jock, "Then Jim [Williams III] and I are going to - and I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this - we're starting on what will be a Batwoman title,” Rucka claims.

Rucka goes on to say that after a newly-crafted "good #1 issue", designed to make Batwoman completely accessible to new readers, his and Williams' intentions are for the last 5 parts of the initial 12-part Batwoman story they originally conceived for Detective to be told in the pages of this new Batwoman title.

That is "the big plan right now," Rucka qualifies.

Reached for comment Tuesday afternoon, DC Universe Executive Editor Dan DiDio told Newsarama, "J.H. and Greg will be wrapping up their run on Detective Comics for the time being. But we feel very strongly about the character and can guarantee she will be prominent in the DCU in 2010."

As to his own future on Detective, Rucka tells Word Balloon he doesn't know what it is yet, and that discussion whether he should stick around and write "someone else in a Bat-costume," has taken place with DC, but that the issue is still "up in the air" and depends on other professional commitments of his outside of comics. But if he remains with Detective, he promises Batwoman will still be a prominent character.

As previously confirmed by DiDio, Rucka added that the Question second feature in 'Tec will continue no matter how his plans for the main feature work out.

Brainslinger
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't know much about Detective comics, although I know Batman actually started up there. Is it actually an anthology comic? I.e. were there other character stories alongside Batwoman's? I'm just wondering considering it looks like she's getting her own title.

turtlex
12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't think so. I think it's going to be an independent title. Her own stories, battles, etc. She'll still be in Gotham, though, and will share that part of Batman's universe.

I know Batwoman being in Detective Comics was a fixed stay... they said right from the start that she'd be around for a 12 issue arc only.

I think that DC never expected her to take off as she did. Besides the art being amazing, the issues are selling very, very well...

... plus, it's just a bonus that Rucka and JHW3 work so great together.

Patrick
12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I hope this concept comes to fruition.

Patrick
01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I have some catching up to do on my Batwoman reading.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Comics/DC-DetComBatwoman01.jpg

turtlex
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Patrick - I think you'll find the those issues excellent. The artwork and writing is awesome.

The next three issues were done by a different artist ( Jock ) but still look to be good - not the same storyline, but still.

Patrick
01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Pam. I have read the first couple, I'll read them again and then continue on with the others.

By the way, do you have the variant/alternate covers? I don't even know which is considered the variant, or if they were simply alternates printed in equal quantities. Nor do I know if there were alternate covers for the ones shown above where I only have one.

turtlex
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
All the covers by JH Williams III are the "regular" covers. The others are variants. I believe there was a variant for each issue... plus issue # 1 ( 854 actually ) had a second printing which was also a JH Williams III cover.

Patrick
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure which are the covers by JHW vs. others. I suppose that information is inside the books though.

turtlex
01-11-2010, 03:47 AM
I have some catching up to do on my Batwoman reading.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Comics/DC-DetComBatwoman01.jpg

You've got it right here, Patrick.

The top row are all JHW3 covers. Those are the "regular" issues.

turtlex
01-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Click here (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/12/28/she-has-no-head-the-superhero-comic-i%e2%80%99ve-been-waiting-for/) for an excellent write-up on Batwoman and Greg Rucka's amazing writing in this title.

Patrick
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Pam, for the information and the link to that review. I like that writer!

turtlex
01-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Greg Rucka is amazing. He's doing some great work right now - not just in Batwoman, but with The Question feature ( in Detective Comics ) and with Stumptown.

turtlex
02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
JHWilliamsIII has some signings scheduled, so you can bring your cool comics to have them signed !!!

Signing :
Red Sky Comics is happy to announce JH Williams III (Wizard’s Artist of the Year) as the special guest at their Grand Opening on Saturday, February 20, 2010. He will sign from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. Red Sky Comics, 617 W Main Street, Merced, CA, 95340

Conventions:
Mike Carbonaro's New York Comic Book Marketplace - New York, NY
2/27/2010

Emerald City ComiCon - Seattle, WA
3/13/2010

Comicpalooza - Houston, TX
George R. Brown Convention Center
3/26/2010

Boston Comic Con - Boston, MA
At the Westin Boston Waterfront
4/10/2010

"Jornadas del Comic de Aviles" (Aviles Comic Convention) - Aviles, Spain
9/14/2010

I really hope to be able to get to one of the East Coast appearances, with an armful of my comics and a hope to just say hello and thank him for his incredible work. From the interactions I've had with him ( purchasing comic art and via email ) - He's a great guy and very in touch with comic fans. Not to mention - he's such a HUGE talent.

turtlex
03-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Well, I've got a cool item coming my way.

My girlfriend went to the Houston Comicpalooza event this past weekend and we got a commission art piece done of Batwoman by artist JH Williams III. We asked for something that shows the duality of the Batwoman / Kate Kane character and this is what JHW3 came up with ...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/605/medium/kate_comm_crop.JPG

Isn't that super cool?!?

My girlfriend has it now - and is carrying it to me, so I won't have it my hands for another week.

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 05:56 AM
That is very cool!

oy-the-brave
03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
WOW that is a fantastic drawing, congrats Pam :thumbsup:

turtlex
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks, gentlemen! Yes, JHW3 really did an amazing job. I'm thrilled.

turtlex
04-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Wow, some not so great news. Apparently Greg Rucka is leaving DC Comics. Since Greg is the current writer of Detective Comics/Batwoman ... the spin off title for Batwoman is now in limbo.

According to artist JH Williams III website blog, though, he believes DC will not abandon the character and that an announcement will be forthcoming.

I'm majorly bummed about Rucka's departure - he and JHW3 were the perfect combination for Kate/Batwoman.

turtlex
04-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Finally, some great news !!!!

JH Williams III to continue with Batwoman Title - take over as co-writer (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25719)

From DC : From the DC blog (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/04/14/its-official-batwoman-ongoing-series/)

I am thrilled with this news!

The new title is to start in July.

turtlex
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
FYI : The hardcover GN of the Elegy / Detective Comics featuring Kate Kane is due out next week.

This is the cool cover :
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bB2xdJuiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For anyone looking for a wonderfully drawn comic ( awarding winning! ) and great story telling ( Greg Rucka! ) - this is the GN for you.

Amazon has it for about $16.50