PDA

View Full Version : Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 07:26 AM
With the proliferation and predisposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sux fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

So C'mon all you Yankee fans out there, it's OK to post here!!!!

Who else is excited by the prospects for the 2009 season (Lets leave the A-Rod story out of it)? Sabbathia, Jeter, Textiera, Rodriguez, Posada, Rivera, Joba and the boyz!! We're going for #27 this year!!!!

Side Note: No offense Boston Fans but we here don't value you opinion!!! LOL This is a "Fan" only thread!!!! So post with caution!!! :pirate::pirate:

LONG LIVE AARON BOONE & BUCKY F**KING DENT!!!!!!
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

jayson
02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I too am a lifelong Yankees fan (Mets too). The 77 and 78 teams are my childhood idols, and thanks to working for awhile for Mr. Steinbrenner I got to meet many of them. By the way, Steinbrenner is one of the nicest people I've ever met and exceptionally generous.

As for this season, I was looking forward to it, until a couple of days ago. It's kind of hard to leave the Rodriguez story completely aside from contemplating this season. Spring training is right here in my city (Tampa) and I can see it being a complete zoo this season with reporters who want to talk about nothing other than A-Rod. It will be a major distraction and I don't envy Girardi having to get the team to focus on the task at hand. I think it would be far better for the Yanks to find a way to cut their ties with A-Rod right now and save the non-cheating players from having to discuss their cheating teammate but that will never happen. They showed with Giambi and Pettite that cheaters are welcome in the Bronx.

All that aside, I think their chances for this year are very promising. Picking up Sabbathia and Burnett greatly improves the starting rotation, which was incredibly weak last year. Teixiera is one of the best power hitters in the game right now. Jeter will still be Jeter, which is to say great. I'm a little concerned about how much of Posada's game may have been lost to his injuries, but we shall see when they take the field. I'd also like to see some offensive consistency out of Robinson Cano. Some days the guy is the best hitting 2B in baseball, other days he couldn't hit the ball if it were on a tee.

My dad and brother and I have a standing agreement that we are going to back to NY if there is a subway series. I think every year is going to be 'the year' but this one looks exceptionally promising for now.

So let's go Yanks! :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I hear ya. I prefer to look at the A-Rod story as a Texas story more than a Yankee one but, ur right it will be a distraction. Yankees (and especially George) have a history of giving players a second chance. george is great that way. I happen to think he has turned into one of the Best owners in Baseball. others scream about him spending money but, he puts those profits back into the TEAM unlike many other owners woh put that money in their pockets!!

I'm getting jazzed cause my son and I have a tradition (since moving to AZ in '05) of attending the opening day weekend!!! We're thinking of driving back this year and can't wait to see the new stadium!!! I was up last year in Sept also (in addition to April) to help close out the old stadium (what a shame!!). Looking forward to a NY Hot Dog, Knish and the Bleacher Creatures!!!

The staff is definitely greatly improved and I'm happy they were able to come to terms with Pettite. Winning should help to quiet the A-Rod uproar so April can't get here fast enough!!!!

I go back to "The Mick" and am a lifelong fan myself!! So many great memories but, yeah 77 & 78 were great. 1998 was the "Team of the Century" and probably one of, if not "THE" best of all time (No disrespect to '27 or '61)!!!

P.S. Now the "Beatles" I can get behind!!! lol lol That's a classic video when they stopped traffic in England by playing on the roof of Apple. Great moment in music history!!

Brice
02-12-2009, 08:30 AM
With the proliferation and prediposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sox fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

Who else is excited by the prospects for the 2009 season (Lets leave the A-Rod story out of it)? Sabbathia, Jeter, Textiera, Rodriguez, Posada, Rivera, Joba and the boyz!! We're going for #27 this year!!!!

Side Note: No offense Boston Fans but we here don't value you opinion!!! LOL This is a "Fan" only thread!!!! So post with caution!!! :pirate::pirate:

We'll leave your little thread here so we Red Sox fans can keep an eye on y'all. ;)

:P

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 08:38 AM
With the proliferation and prediposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sox fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

We'll leave your little thread here so we Red Sox fans can keep an eye on y'all. ;)

Condescending attitude from the fan with 3 (?) titles in like a 100 years!!!

LOL J/K thanks for suffering us!!!

LOL :clap::clap::clap: LOL

Here's to a Great Baseball season for all!!

jayson
02-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I hear ya. I prefer to look at the A-Rod story as a Texas story more than a Yankee one but, ur right it will be a distraction.
Definitely will haunt them a bit at the beginning of the season, but I have faith that someone with a strong leadership ethic like Girardi can get them past it and once they're through April, what happens on the field will be more important than what happened off of it.

I happen to think he has turned into one of the Best owners in Baseball. others scream about him spending money but, he puts those profits back into the TEAM unlike many other owners woh put that money in their pockets!!

Agree completely on George. I went on a bit of a rant in the Sports thread when the Teixiera signing happened because I got sick of reading about how it wasn't "fair" for the Yankees to outspend everyone else. Firstly, it's George's money, he can do whatever he wants with it. It's not Steinbrenner's fault his team is in the world's biggest tv market and he can make more on selling tv rights than every other team combined. Secondly, the Rays had the second lowest payroll in baseball and made the World Series last year (and lost to a team with the 15th highest payroll) so it shows that money doesn't necessarily buy a championship.

I'm getting jazzed cause my son and I have a tradition (since moving to AZ in '05) of attending the opening day weekend!!! We're thinking of driving back this year and can't wait to see the new stadium!!! I was up last year in Sept also (in addition to April) to help close out the old stadium (what a shame!!). Looking forward to a NY Hot Dog, Knish and the Bleacher Creatures!!!

I'd love to get a chance to catch a game in the new stadium as well. If/when you do go, be sure to take lots of pictures because I for one would love to see them. I have so many great memories of the old stadium, though probably not as many as you as you were there first. :)

I go back to "The Mick" and am a lifelong fan myself!! So many great memories but, yeah 77 & 78 were great. 1998 was the "Team of the Century" and probably one of, if not "THE" best of all time (No disrespect to '27 or '61)!!!

I'd love to have a time machine and the opportunity to stage a series between the '27, '61, '78 and '98 teams. I'd put my money on '78. That pitching staff was like nothing I've seen before or since and when it was big game time, Reggie delivered. That team also had my two biggest heroes, Willie Randolph and Graig Nettles (I played 2B and 3B as a kid).

P.S. Now the "Beatles" I can get behind!!! lol lol That's a classic video when they stopped traffic in England by playing on the roof of Apple. Great moment in music history!!

See, we can agree on music. :lol:
I have the rooftop show on cd and dvd. I watch it all the time. George's green pants and fur coat make me smile every time, but not as much as that killer tone he gets out of the black Telecaster.

Brice
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM

LOL J/K thanks for suffering us!!!

LOL :clap::clap::clap: LOL

Here's to a Great Baseball season for all!!

Agreed! :D

And it's all in jest for me (well mostly ;) ) ...the rivalry that is. I don't take it seriously like some of them do. To me the rivalry is part of the fun. :dance:

This thread is probably about to be moved though to where the other sports threads are. :)

jayson
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM

:lol:

I think it's four total in their history. Whenever Sox fans give me any lip, my response is always "talk to me after you win 22 more World Series titles." That usually stops the trash talk. It's my favorite rivalry in sports, but statistically speaking, we have been far and wide on the better end of it.

I drive past the spring training facility here in Tampa a lot and there are big signs on either side of it with all the years of the Yanks series wins. Makes me smile big big. :D

Brice
02-12-2009, 08:49 AM

I think it's four total in their history. Whenever Sox fans give me any lip, my response is always "talk to me after you win 22 more World Series titles." That usually stops the trash talk. It's my favorite rivalry in sports, but statistically speaking, we have been far and wide on the better end of it.

I drive past the spring training facility here in Tampa a lot and there are big signs on either side of it with all the years of the Yanks series wins. Makes me smile big big. :D

...and where exactly is this place? :innocent:

jayson
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
...and where exactly is this place? :innocent:

What place, the spring training site? It's a few miles up the road from me. It's right next to the football stadium where the Bucs play (and where the Super Bowl was a few weeks ago). The baseball field has some architectural touches which make it look like the old Yankee stadium, only much smaller in scale. It's very cool looking and to anyone like me who misses the real Yankee stadium, it's very heart-warming.

Here are a few shots of it, including one of the signs I mentioned...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_y8qwvUUt0b8/R7okJ2khJjI/AAAAAAAABTo/wDnL9kMFqRQ/IMG_1936.JPG

http://www.digitalballparks.com/SpringTraining/Legends_-_Yankees_fadeT.jpg

http://www.springtraining08.com/images/LegendsField.jpg

Brice
02-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks!

*packs a bag and buys a ticket* :evil:

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice Pics Dude!!! Truth be told I never saw the complex like that before. Even though, a little trivia, my old business partner was Fred Mazzilli, Lee's brother who managed the TB Yanks for a while (he was supposed to be in line to replace Torre prior to Baltimore). I been to his house in Greenwhich (Way cool "Trophy" room) and got lots of memorabilia through Fred/Lee including playing Golf with Yogi Berra at a Diabetes Fundraiser!!!!

But I digress. Beatles and Yanks, do we need to find other common ground? lol lol J/K. But ur right it seems we can agree and sorry for the other, guess I took offense where none was intended. Could it be you and I are the lone Yankee fans here? (looks around) lol lol

Brice, I AM serious about the rivalry as my Boston Sucks!! T-shirt attests but I took it all in good sport with regard your post as well!! :cool::cool:

On a side note. Part of me says "enough with the steriod shit already and lets get back to Baseball" but, on the other hand it doesn't seem fair to the HOF players and others who made it on their "God" given talent and not out of a jar. Its even more distressing in A-rod's case as he was a great ballplayer before 2001 and really didn't need that shit to shine.

Go Yanks!!! :rock:

AlishaRiley
02-12-2009, 01:28 PM
It's sad that i don't have a fucking clue about any of this.

jayson
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
But I digress. Beatles and Yanks, do we need to find other common ground? lol lol J/K. But ur right it seems we can agree and sorry for the other, guess I took offense where none was intended. Could it be you and I are the lone Yankee fans here? (looks around) lol lol

Past is past. I don't hold a grudge. :)

Also, I know there is at least one other Yankee fan as I know CRinVA is one of us. I suspect when he sees this thread he'll post his thoughts as well.

I agree that it's a bit more of a shame about A-Rod because of all the players who've been linked to the steroids, he's probably the one that could have been a Hall of Famer without them. I had so much hope that he would obliterate Bonds' "record" in the name of clean players, but I suppose he's as tainted as Bonds is. Looks like Hank Aaron is still the home run king amongst those who don't cheat.

So can Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame yet?

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah really, gambling v. drug use. Go figure.

I think in some instances they just stick to a guy who's labeled a "prick" like Rose, Bonds and Cobb just cause they can. Don't know about Rose and Cobb so much but, everything you read says Bonds is a colossal one. lol lol However, perhaps in his case the drugs did it and in Cobb's he was just born that way!! lol.

Think Joba will emerge as an "Ace" in the rotation this year now that the "experiments" are over? He could be HUGE for the Yanks as a second "Stopper" after Sabbathia. Hope Mo develops a Change-up this year. Could you imagine how devestating that would be? lol

jayson
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I suppose we'd have to ask Bonds' teammates back in Pittsburgh if he were an asshole before the juicing. As for Ty Cobb, everything I've ever heard says the guy was the biggest prick in the history of the universe.

I'm still not sure I see Joba as a top caliber starter. I know it's where he wants to be and where the front office wants him to be, but I think it's high time to start thinking seriously about the post Rivera era in the bullpen. With Joba's fastball, he could be the second coming of Rich Gossage. Rivera may very well go down in history as the greatest closer ever (he's certainly the best I've ever seen) but how much longer can he really do it? It's a position they will need to address in the next season or two, so sooner would be better than later.

I think they have a second ace starter after CC with Burnett. Those two had better be good for at least 15 wins apiece if the Yanks have any chance of doing anything this season. I'm also hoping to see Chien-Ming Wang bounce back from his injury and have a strong season. With Pettite as the fourth, that's a pretty good starting rotation right there and doesn't put pressure on Joba to turn into an ace starter. Then again, maybe he's just naturally gifted and he'll surprise me. It'd be a pleasant surprise as it would be great for the Yankees. :)

Merlin1958
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm still not sure I see Joba as a top caliber starter. I know it's where he wants to be and where the front office wants him to be, but I think it's high time to start thinking seriously about the post Rivera era in the bullpen. With Joba's fastball, he could be the second coming of Rich Gossage. Rivera may very well go down in history as the greatest closer ever (he's certainly the best I've ever seen) but how much longer can he really do it? It's a position they will need to address in the next season or two, so sooner would be better than later.

I have to agree. I had a similar conversation with my Son concerning Joba. I LOVED him in that set-up role and saw him (as you do) as a potential replacement for Mo. Why break what isn't broken? But the front office as you said made the decision so we'll have to live with it. Hopefully, he will emerge as an Ace. He's got the stuff remains to see if he has the stamina and mental toughness.

I think they have a second ace starter after CC with Burnett. Those two had better be good for at least 15 wins apiece if the Yanks have any chance of doing anything this season. I'm also hoping to see Chien-Ming Wang bounce back from his injury and have a strong season. With Pettite as the fourth, that's a pretty good starting rotation right there and doesn't put pressure on Joba to turn into an ace starter. Then again, maybe he's just naturally gifted and he'll surprise me. It'd be a pleasant surprise as it would be great for the Yankees. :)

I like Burnett too just his propensity for injury worries me (I still haven't got over Fucking Pavano lol). I think Wang will be fine. He's got that stuff that gets better when he's tired throwing all those ground ball outs. Petitte I thought was a key in that he's a proven yankee winner in both the season and post and his experience should help the entire staff. They are just gonna have to limit his innings early on in deference to his age to avoid what happened last year. Girardi should have a good handle on that this year though.

:cool::cool:

jayson
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
It's one reason I like Girardi as manager. As a former catcher, he knows exactly how to handle a pitching staff. For nostalgic reasons I wanted them to give the job to Mattingly, but I concede that Girardi was more qualified and ultimately the better choice. I just love Donny Baseball. Now there's a guy who didn't need steroids. He and Winfield made things interesting back in the days of the mediocre 80's Yankees. They may not have won many games, but at least they did it honestly.

Merlin1958
02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
It's one reason I like Girardi as manager. As a former catcher, he knows exactly how to handle a pitching staff. For nostalgic reasons I wanted them to give the job to Mattingly, but I concede that Girardi was more qualified and ultimately the better choice. I just love Donny Baseball. Now there's a guy who didn't need steroids. He and Winfield made things interesting back in the days of the mediocre 80's Yankees. They may not have won many games, but at least they did it honestly.

Yeah Donny Basebal was/is Da Man!!!

But if you HAD to replace Torre (which they did) I too think Girardi was the excellent choice. Former catcher (which I think is almost a prerequisite for a Mgr) Plus a former Yankee who played with a lotta those guys. He's a class act and has no trouble following another one (Torre).

Got a PM from CRinVa so he should be joining us soon. Yeah!! 3 Yankee fans!!!

Pitchers and Catchers report next week!!

Being in Tampa you'll have to keep us up-to-date on all the latest!!

jayson
02-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Being in Tampa you'll have to keep us up-to-date on all the latest!!

I'm sure it will be a media madhouse around here bc of the A-Rod situation.

I will definitely keep you guys apprised of the latest stories out of the Yanks spring training complex. I'd like to try to get to a late spring training game to try and see CC pitch a few innings in pinstripes.

CRinVA
02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Yep I am a bonafide Yankee Fan and am here now! :-)

A few comments aws I am supposed to be working!

The Rotation!

Awesome with a couple of Lefties. I am really gald they got Pettitte back! Looking forward to watching them do what they do best. CC is an iron man, AJ is the strikeout king! Wong will be as strong as ever, the man gets more dribblers back to the mound than any I know! Pettitte will near 15 wins. Joba has no pressure so can sit back and do what he does best - throw the fireball! Looking forward to seeing him bring up the rear of the rotation. Oh and the Pen, Mariano is the man no matter what anyone sais "Enter the sandman!"

The Lineup

Dam near the best in baseball if you ask me. I think Cano's performance last year was an abberation. He will be a threat this year. Teixera in the lineup - simply Wow! I believe Jorge has the gumption to return as solid as ever! Jeter - nuf said! A-Rod - if he can perform through the controversy will be great. CF - my choice is gardner - he adds excitement and his bat came alive in September last eyar. If he gets on 1st you know he makes it to 2nd! No question. Nady is predictable, strong and consistent (Although I will miss Abreu). Matsui - silent but deadly - I hope he is back in form. The best guy at the plate with men in scoring position. Oh and Damon - I expect he will continue to be a success as the leadoff guy! Nice to have himn at bat with gardner batting 9th too!

Roids

Giambi got past it; Pettitte too! Can A-Rod - one hopes so. What really bugs me is this. Selig was contemplating a suspension - geesh I think the Player's Union and A-Rod's lawyers would have had a field day with this. Those test were only agreed to by the player's union back then as they were to be anonymous and were meant to "measure" whether or not MLB had a problem. An * on the stats! Whose to say that HOFs from the past didn't use artificial means to enhance their capabilities. Perhaps HGH wasn't around but methanphetamines were and there is NO WAY IN HELL to ever go back and see. I'd duess that not all HOFers are saints! Bottom line is there is random testing now and stiff penalties - in my book that should be enough! Personally I still love A-Rod. At least he came clean and it appears it was all while at texas! Yep he screwed up but I can see the pressure on him back then to perform what with the biggest contract ever! remember, "to err is human, to forgive devine!"

The new stadium

I've been a fan for 50 years and I only ever set foot in Yankee Stadium once. Took a day trip with my family that started at 4am and ended teh following day at 3am! It was wonderful. Sat in excellent seats (3rd base under the overhang) and waited out three rain delays (the tarp came out got put back and out and back .... I told my wife that "gee we drove all this way to eat hotdogs in Yankee Stadium." But the gods were with us and the sun came out and they played a game and it went 11 innings! the only sour note was they lost that game but me and my family (wife and 4 kids) had a blast! Now I am contemplating a trip to the new stadium! My son's girl friends dad is a huge fan and we are trying to put together a trip with a bunch of guys! I love going to the game. Been to Boston once as a kid (with my grandfather who was a Sox fan). Been to Royal Stadium a lot in the early '80s (the George Brett years) as I was stationed in Kansas City. I now live in south of Washington, DC. Been to many many Orioles - Yankees games at Camden Yards - a great place. Been to quite a few Nationals games in RFK stadium. Have not been to their new stadium yet but will get there this year as My wife's boss has season's tickets and she gets them occassiohnally.

Spring Training

R_of_G I am ever so jealous. My ultimate vacation is to spend a week at Spring Training. Maybe next year. My kids are now away at college and maybe I can make it happen. Just gotta pay tuition for theee kids and buy a wedding for the 4th! :-)

The Rivalry

For sure there are many more Red Sox fans here - partially due to an allegiance to Sai King - and I have actually had a few emoptional outbursts over comments. Brice made a comment once and I responded and me and him had a few words over private messaging - turned out to be no big deal - Hey mi amigo Brice how's it going - I know you are checking up on us! :-) I wear an official Dugout Jacket to work often and it amazes me how many snide comments I get from Sox fans! I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!

Final Comments

I need to get back to work!

Looking forward to keeping this thread alive and well as the season progresses! You know I am from NY State but have not lived there since the early '70s. Wish I lived there now - most cable companies include the YES Network as part of their basic offering. I cannot get it here at all. I subscribe to MLB.TV to watch the games. Kind of pisses off my wife as I spen a lot of time in front of the computer watching the games.

Merlin1958
02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Welcome CR!!!!!!

Too address some of your points.

Cano will be a key (especially since I like Melky in Center he just brings an "energy" when all's going well). Notice how Melky and Cano brought such spirit in 07? I think that chemistry is important and really transform an already potent lineup into an All Allstar one.

Camden Yards is a beautiful park. Balt. is after all home of the Babe. I'm a 49 year NYer, living in Az in Witness Protection!! lol (J/K actually "Empty Nest" syndrome my 2 kids attend (ed) ASU) As mentioned earlier I make a pilgrimage to the stadium every April and look forward to the new stadium this year.

As far as the drugs, you make an excellent point unfortunately. Remember "Ball Four"? And need I mention The Mick and The Babe's favorite off-field past-times? lol Still however the 'Roids seem to sting more. maybe it was the intent. I dunno. I'm tending to go the way my Son feels which is "ENOUGH" already, lets play ball.

I get the Directv MLB Extra Innings to watch my beloved Yanks although, I usually get screwed on the Saturday game (Blackouts/MLB Restrictions) I fight with DTV over that every year and usually get a credit against the package but rarely the Sat. Games. So I got XM for that and listen to them by the Pool (Ok usually "In" the pool by that time as it gets to 120 degrees here!!!! LOL but, its a dry heat LOL).

I know Tampa will be innundated with reporters this Spring but, I bet there will be a few items that escape their scrutiny!! R of G will then be on it!! lol

Lastly, just get a "Boston Sucks" or "Got Rings?" T-shirt and that should be enough for those pesky Sox fans. Like R of G said "Talk to me when you got 26 World Championships (22 to go) and 39 (?) Pennants!!!!

:rock::rock::rock:

jayson
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I knew you'd be in here at some point CR. :)

I agree completely about Gardner. His time is now. He should be the everyday center fielder to start the season.

I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!

For whatever reason, the Yankees are perceived as "the bad guys" in the drama that is Major League Baseball. It just makes me love them more. The Sox fans can call themselves "Red Sox nation" all they want, there is no American sports franchise more well-known around the world than the New York Yankees.

And I know it's a year off, but if you do plan on coming down for spring training next year, be sure to let me know. I'd gladly go to games with you and spend the afternoon talking Yanks and Sai King. :)

On a Yankees fan note, did either of you guys see the ESPN mini-series "The Bronx is Burning" about the 77 Yanks? I thought it was very well done and John Turturro was fantastic as Billy Martin. Definitely worth checking out if it's available on NetFlix.

Brice
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
The Rivalry

For sure there are many more Red Sox fans here - partially due to an allegiance to Sai King - and I have actually had a few emoptional outbursts over comments. Brice made a comment once and I responded and me and him had a few words over private messaging - turned out to be no big deal - Hey mi amigo Brice how's it going - I know you are checking up on us! :-) I wear an official Dugout Jacket to work often and it amazes me how many snide comments I get from Sox fans! I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!

Hey, Bob! I'm good. I hope you are too. And yeah, to me the rivalry has always just been a playful sort of thing amongst the Yankees and Red Sox teams' fans. Some people are just assholes about it, well...because they are assholes. :lol: I've never really got it either...it's supposed to be fun. I'd guess the teams players and all probably think higher of each other (on both sides) than some of the "fans" think of the opposing teams "fans". Sadly, I must concede the red sox seem to have an overabundance of "fans" that are assholes. :(

jayson
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Sadly, I must concede the red sox seem to have an overabundance of "fans" that are assholes. :(

In the interest of fairness and honesty, New York sports fandom certainly has a pretty sizable percentage of jerks as well. I'm all for good-natured trash talk, it helps keep people on their game as far as wit goes, but when people take it too far it gets kinda stupid. Much as we love our teams, it is still a game. That said, Red Sox suck. :P

Of course, they don't suck and that's what makes the rivalry fun with both teams being contenders.

CRinVA
02-13-2009, 08:45 AM
R_of_G
I will def look you up if I make it to Tampa!
Your last sentence made me laugh out loud!
My wife groaned when she heard on the news last night that Spring Training for Catchers adn Pitchers starts Monday! WooHoo!!!!

jayson
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
My wife groaned when she heard on the news last night that Spring Training for Catchers adn Pitchers starts Monday!

Mine too. I believe her exact words were "Already? Ugh."

Merlin1958
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Guys, you've gotta go over to Yankees.com and take the virtual tour of the new stadium. It's awesome!!! Not too mention all the highlight clips and new stadium features!!!

WOW can't wait to check it out!!!

CRinVA
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
will do!

Merlin1958
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Okay, Tomorrow is first Spring Training game!!!

Go Yanks!!

CRinVA
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
I am sure it's a major media circus!

jayson
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm sure it will be.

Did you guys catch the Sabathia interview with Hannah Storm that aired on ESPN last night? CC seems completely unfazed by the media circus that surround the Yankees. She asked him how he's dealing with things between the Torre book and the A-Rod situation. CC said "If this is as bad as it gets, I'll be fine." I can't wait til this guy gets on the mound in pinstripes.

Merlin1958
02-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's the pitch....A-Rod swings.......It is High....It is far...... It is gone a HR for Alex Rodriguez!!!!!

And the 2009 season officially begins to begin!!! lol lol

CRinVA
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
i am sure the naysayers will say that he injected himself in the dugout right before walking to the plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey was nayone gald to see that Girardi asked bernie Williams to practice weith the Yankees instead of over at the minor field conplex as he prepped for the world baseball classic! that was pretty classy and I really like bernie and only wish the best for him!

jayson
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Bernie was a class act. He deserves to be treated well and it was nice to see.

Merlin1958
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
It certainly was. Girardi is a class act as well. Bernie was Da Man!!!

CRinVA
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Two ST Games - 4 HRs - its a good omen. poor Shelley duncan - i really do not think there will be a roster position for him. Swisher is backup First Baseman and backup Corner Outfielder. Where does that leave Duncan!

As I see it; Damon, ARod, Jeter, Texiera, Nady, Posada, Cano, Gardner, Cabrerra, Molina, Ransom (utility IF), Matsui, Swisher, +12 pitchers. Duncan will be the odd man out! JMHO of course.

Merlin1958
02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Two ST Games - 4 HRs - its a good omen. poor Shelley duncan - i really do not think there will be a roster position for him. Swisher is backup First Baseman and backup Corner Outfielder. Where does that leave Duncan!

As I see it; Damon, ARod, Jeter, Texiera, Nady, Posada, Cano, Gardner, Cabrerra, Molina, Ransom (utility IF), Matsui, Swisher, +12 pitchers. Duncan will be the odd man out! JMHO of course.

Yeah its a shame. I kinda like the kid too (reminds me of that actor Matthew Hilliard I think lol) Duncan's a good energenic kid but if he's lucky he gets traded somewhere where he can play everyday, establish himself and then come back as a FA lol lol

Merlin1958
03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
News Flash: ARod to surgery or not? Ransom at Third? Cashman taking it day by day contrary to popular reports.

Check out Yankees.com for more indepth coverage!!!

Also, Stiener Merchandising (official Yankee memorabilia outlet) is auctioning really cool and affordable stuff on their website. Link is also on the Yankee site. Used first bases, bats, lockername plates etc.

CRinVA
03-09-2009, 09:07 AM
So A-Rod elects to have this "Hybrid Surgery" - makes sense to me. I am sure the Yankees can weather the storm for 6 - 9 weeks. At 9 weeks that puts him back on the field on May 11th. That means he'd miss 33 games - that's only 20% of the season. I am sure that Cody Ransom can do an adequate job and with Texiera's bat and with Posada and Matsui back in the lineup I am not worried. They'll win games because of their rotation anyway.

I can't wait for it all to start!

jayson
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll be honest with you guys, I'm glad Rodriguez will be out. I don't wish injury or ill health on anyone, but I'd rather see the Yankees start the season with the focus of the talk being on baseball not steroids. Rodriguez is a walking distraction. I am sure Ransom will fill in just fine as far as the fielding aspect of the game goes and as Bob pointed out, there are more than enough bats in the line-up for the Yankees to generate offense. It's the pitching that they are going to live or die by this season.

In the long run I think it'd be better for Rodriguez to just go ahead and have the full surgery instead of this initial surgery. Who knows what they're going to find when they actually get in there. Better to get it all done and if he misses a season, he misses a season. The team is balanced and deep enough to perform without any one player.

Now bring on the games that count!

Merlin1958
03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Reports say the operation went well. I agree though, this season should be more about pitching. I am a little worried about Ransom defensively though. he's only played like 7 games at third. Something interesting on SC though. A's moved Crosby (who asked for a trade) to third due to Cabrera signing. Could a trade be in the wind?

Still Servant
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm also a life long New York Yankees fan. Being from Connecticut (the middle of CT to be specific) I'm literally in the middle of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry.

Growing up in the 80's I knew about 2 Sox fans. Since their world championship win in 2004 I know hundreds of them now. Everybody thinks New England is Red Sock country and it's just not true. Especially as you get closer to New York.

I can't wait until the baseball season. I'm even going to watch the Yankees exhibition game tonight at the new stadium.

I'm big into prospects so I'm looking forward to guys like Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero in the near future. I also think Mark Melancon can make a Joba like impact on the Yankees bullpen at some point this year.

CRinVA
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Glad to see a new name in the conversation. Looking forward to your comments. I will be watching MLB.TV tonight for the first exhibition game.

I would love to get to the new stadium but the cards are not in my near future right now; I guess I need to wait till the planets are in alignment and teh moon is in the seventh sun! In the meantime, I live about an hour or so south fo Baltimore and try to take in a game every year when the Yankees come to town; It's has been very hard to get any decent seats though; I do not like to sit in upper tiers in the outfield; I like to be able to see their faces!

So yesterday my wife is telling me about a few conversations she has had at work; She is the office manager and bookkeeper for a legal firm in Northern Virginia; One of the lawyers asked her if she had grabbed any of the available tickets for the Nationals games; You see the big bosses have seasons tickets to the Wash Nationalls (and the Redskins and the Wizards, blah blah blah) and they give them away if they can't make a game. Well my wife said nope as the Yankees were not playing at National Park this year; Then this lawyer said well you know the Yankees play in Baltimore and my wife says yeah we know but can't get any good tickets; well you can if you are willing to pay outrageous prices online outside the purview of the MLB tickets process. Then this lawyer says that she and her husband have season tickets at Camden yards and we could probably get some for a Yankee game! My wife said oh great we'll pay for them and the laywer says nope you won't - looks like we may get to a game in Baltimore after all - her seats are Third Base line right off Third Base - AWESOME! The Yankees play there three series every year - the first is next Mon - Wed (not going then) and the second is around May 10th and the last is Aug 31 - Sep 2. Woohoo I am voting to get one of those tickets as my b-day is then!

I can wait till Sept to see them live - I will be watching probalby 75% of their games on MLB.TV. And I hope to be buying a new flat screen 22" monitor soon which will make the viewing so much better than last year on my old archaic 17" CPU monitor!

jayson
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks like we have more in common all the time Still Servant. :D

Monday ESPN will be showing the Mets and then the Yankees back to back. Now there's an afternoon I am already looking forward to.

PLAY BALL!

jayson
04-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok, I have had more than enough of Johnny Damon already. I never wanted the guy in the first place. He had a hot bat and good base-running in the playoffs in 2004 so the Yankess overpaid him to come to the Bronx. It was a HUGE mistake. Just a minute ago was yet another in an ever-growing string of examples of why the guy is a complete defensive liability. He let a fly ball go over his head because he knew he couldn't catch it. Then when he fielded the ball off the wall, his piss-poor arm couldn't even reach Jeter so a run scored. This is not acceptable to me.

He is NOT such a tremendous lead-off hitter that we need to place such a terrible fielder out in left so often. If he were a lead-off hitter of Jose Reyes' caliber than I could overlook the fielding, but he's not and I can't. I have the same problem with the Mets left-fielder Daniel Murphy. Neither Damon nor Murphy will ever hit well enough to make up for their extraordinarily crappy fielding.

Believe me, if the Yankees have games they need to win in September (and dear god let's hope October) than this kind of fielding is not going to be an asset to anyone but our opponents.

Merlin1958
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
All I know is that Swisher is looking like the addition of the year!!!! Especially with Nady and Matsui's problems. and can't we get someone to play 3rd? As R of G said between Ransom and Damon there's no one on the LF line!!!

At least the pitching is doing fairly well although it would be nice to get the "real" Wang back!!

jayson
04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Ransom made a play earlier to save a run that was quite good. He snagged a hard hit ground ball down the line robbing the hitter of a sure double (probably more given that the next line of defense was Damon). He then took the ball and made a great throw to Posada who put out a runner who was headed home. One play does not make a season, but it made me think Ransom will do alright now that he's getting the hang of things.

And Nady, he can not come back for all I care. His lolly-gagging baserunning on opening day (when he rounded third and stopped half way to home and then walked back to third to be tagged out without even going through the motions of a rundown) were enough to tell me he has no heart. I may be overly judgmental of these guys but the way I see it, this is the New York Yankees. People dream of playing for this team. If you can't hustle on every single play you play in a Yankees' uniform, get the hell out of the Bronx.

Merlin1958
04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Freaky Friday is Home run Heaven in the House that George built!!!

Wasn't pretty but I'll take the "W"!!!!!

jayson
04-18-2009, 09:10 AM
That bullpen is EXTREMELY sketchy. More evidence that Chamberlain should be the set-up man not a starter. This doesn't look like a team built to win important games. You can't just rely on hitting more home runs than your opponent in October. Without pitching, this team will do nothing.

Merlin1958
04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
That bullpen is EXTREMELY sketchy. More evidence that Chamberlain should be the set-up man not a starter. This doesn't look like a team built to win important games. You can't just rely on hitting more home runs than your opponent in October. Without pitching, this team will do nothing.

I agree RoG. Joba was a perfect set-up for Mo and if it ain't broke don't fix it. But it is what it is now. If the current guys (although I do generally feel pretty good about Bruney, Coke & Ramirez the odd Tattooing aside) can't work out the kinks over the next 20-25 games we can always feel confident that Cashman will go get a Stanton or a Nelson or both by the break. To be honest I haven't felt good about the 7th or 8th since them in '98 with the exception of Joba.

But hey!! we're not even 20 games in dude. Let's keep a more optimistic attitude!!! lol lol:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

at least for the time being anyway! lol lol

jayson
04-18-2009, 04:28 PM
But hey!! we're not even 20 games in dude. Let's keep a more optimistic attitude!!! lol lol:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How much longer should I be optimistic? This series against Cleveland was a real eye-opener. The Yanks will be lucky to take 4th in the AL East this year. Tampa is at least as good as last year. Boston is at least as good as last year. Baltimore is much better than last year. This could be a LONG season.

Still Servant
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I never take too much stock at the beginning of a season. The Marlins are good, but they aren't that good. The O's have a nice lineup and they should get even better when they call up Minor League player of the year Matt Weiters, but I don't think they have the starting pitching in the long run to come in third place.

I would be shocked if the Yanks came in 4th place when the smoke clears. Besides the games Wang pitched, they've played pretty well. There might be some holes in the pen (although it might look worse because they have been overextended because of Wang) but I think they will be okay.

Joba pitched very well as a starter last year and I don't see any reason why he can't be a great starter. Go back and look at his games last year. He pitched 6 or 7 innings and barely walked anybody.

I also think they might have help on the way. Mark Melancon has gotten off to a great start in AAA. Hitters are 1 for 24 off of him thus far. I don't see any reason why he can't do what Joba did.

People got spoiled by Joba in the pen a few years back, when the reality is any team could take their pest prospect and put him in the pen and he will thrive (at least in the short term) good stuff plus the fact that noboy has ever faced him is a recipe for success.

Another example of this is David Price.

jayson
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
You are right SS. I'm not writing off anybody in April, though I will say this about the Marlins. As much as I think they are not as good as they appear, I said the same thing last year in May about the Rays and I wound up eating those words. That said, of the Marlins' 11 wins, 6 of them have come against the Nationals who are 1-10 so it's not exactly a barometer by which to judge the Marlins quite yet. I don't think they are as good as the Mets, Philly or Atlanta though.

As for Joba, I'm still not impressed with him as a starter. Last year had some ups and some downs but what stood out to me the most was that the arm was not yet ready to be a starting pitcher. He injured the arm ostensibly because of the workload and he didn't go six or seven as often as I would like to see an ace starter go six or seven. Of course, it is a year later and the arm is stretched out more and perhaps he has the endurance to give us more quality innings, but (a) I will have to see it to believe it, and (b) they have to address the stopper role at some point. Rivera was the dominant starter of his era for sure, but how much more does he have? Joba seemed the natural heir apparent.

I don't know if he complained his way into a starting job or if Hank wanted him to be a starter but I'd have rather seen him be a team player and go where they needed him the most. Compare it to J.J. Putz. Aside from Francisco Rodriguez the guy was the most sought-after stopper in free agency. Rather than go to any one of the dozens of teams courting him where he could be a big name star with a lot of saves and all the glory, he went to the Mets to be the set-up man for K-Rod. That was the ultimate team-first move. The guy just wants to be on a winning team and will take whatever role he is given to make it happen. As a Mets fan, the guy instantly won my admiration with his attitude. I'd have liked to have seen the same from Joba. Still, it is what it is. If he performs well as a starter then I will be very happy with him.

There are a lot more problems in that bullpen that need to be addressed soon. April or not, they need to not dig too deep a hole for themselves to climb out of.

jayson
04-27-2009, 08:20 AM
This weekend showed me everything I needed to know.

Optimists can keep their optimism if it serves them and those who want to say it's only April can keep that up for another four days if that makes them happy. As far as I'm concerned, this team needs serious help or they won't contend for anything.

I know Rodriguez will be back by June and the other bats may wake up as well. It is meaningless to me. They simply do not have the pitching at any level of the bullpen, to compete should they, by some miracle, make the playoffs. Out-homering the competition will become useless when September and October roll around. That is never going to be an effective playoff strategy. Playoff games are won or lost through pitching and the Yankees have none. Even Rivera faltered, which only strengthens my view that the correct place for Joba Chamberlain is in the bullpen. Maybe it's not what Joba wants but it's what the team needs.

I also couldn't be more over Andy Pettitte. That steal of home by Ellsbury was 99% Pettitte's fault because (a) he has the single slowest wind up and delivery in the history of pitching, and (b) he obviously plays with his head up his ass and doesn't pay a lick of attention to the base runners. Last night and today it was reported widely in the NY papers that prior to that at-bat, Posada warned Pettitte that Ellsbury had potential to do something like that. Pettitte never even looked twice. However, for a catcher who allegedly said that, Posada didn't exactly look like he was all that aware of Ellsbury's steal until Ellsbury was right on top of him. Pettitte and Posada both looked like clowns. I expect better from Posada. Regardless of Posada's offensive power, there is still a Molina on the roster. Nobody with that last name is going to allow someone to steal home while he's behind the plate.

As for Pettite, I never wanted the guy back after the steroid thing. I think his "excuse" for getting caught was an insult to my intelligence. Was he serious? He wasn't trying to get an advantage, he was just trying to recover from an injury? Really? Using HGH to recover from an injury faster than others IS getting an advantage. He's a cheater and a terrible liar and I'd never have taken him back.

turtlex
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
: sweep :

jayson
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
By now most of you have probably heard or read of the newest allegations against Alex Rodriguez. I am not all that concerned about the new steroid claims. It was pretty clear that he was less than honest about how long he'd been using them so I knew more accusations would be forthcoming.

However, what bothers me MUCH more than that is the allegation that when with the Rangers, he was involved in "pitch tipping" with friends on opposing teams. In short, in the later innings of games that were pretty much decided already, A-Rod would give signals to friends at bat on opposing teams letting them know what pitch was coming in exchange for them doing the same for him.

If, and I say if because nothing has been proven, but if this turns out to be true, then (a) I do not want him back on the Yankees, ever, and (b) I want him banned from baseball for life. What Rodriguez and his friends allegedly did is despicable. I will never again believe that his stats are real. Between the steroids and now this, his stats are padded to an unknown extent. If I were a pitcher that was on his team and I found out he did this to me, I'd be out for blood.

To me, this is significantly more serious than what Pete Rose did. Rose bet on baseball but there has never been a shred of evidence that he ever did anything to affect the outcome of a single game to cover a bet.

Here is some info from SI on the allegation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/?eref=sircrc

Ok, we now return you to the Yankees' season, already in progress.

Merlin1958
05-01-2009, 09:04 AM
The additional steriod allegations bother me but not the pitch tipping so much. "legal" cheating has always seemed to be a part of the game we enjoy but don't talk about to much. Bobby Thompson's shot has long been rumored to be sign stealing (pitch tipping), Gaylord Perry et al. and Billy Martin (Pine tar incident for one). generally we shrug it off as "gamesmaship". Although, if it is in fact that they did for each other to fatten stats that is pretty cheesy and low.

As far as the steriods thing, you know its getting a little old. They cheated, done. lets move on. And that is not because its A-Rod and/or the Yankees. As a fan your just gonna have to reconcile with the period ending with testing and move on. Don't forget there are what? another 101 players who haven't been outed yet? Is this gonna be the sports media's source of retirement funds? every six months from now on a sportswriter will out a player, get a book deal and off we go? Personally, I'm just numb to it now. They cheated for awhile, we all got robbed and now we can move forward with enjoying the game until the next drugs, cheaters or cyborg enhancement scandle comes along. Cause as long as there is competition and money at stake, people will look for an edge. When that edge benefits ownership, they will become complicit.

To me, I say ENOUGH. Move on!!!!! I just don't want to hear it anymore.

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

No offense to anyone here just had a bellyful of the whole mess.

jayson
05-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Those are good examples you raise and I agree, all can be legitimately defined as forms of "cheating."

However, I think one key difference between Perry's use of the spitter or George Brett's use of too much pine tar on his bat and what A-Rod is alleged to have done is that Perry and Brett's actions were ultimately for the benefit of their own teams. Perry wasn't trying to pad his stats, he was trying to get guys out to help his team win. Brett wasn't trying to hit more home runs to pad his stats, he was trying to help the Royals win games. A-Rod and his pals were acting solely for their own benefit as the story states that they were only doing this in games that were already decided.

There's also the fact that these actions have a detrimental impact on the stats of the pitchers on his own team which may very well cost them money if they have incentive-based contracts.

As for sign-stealing, I think that is much different than pitch-tipping. Sign stealing is one team trying to figure out what the other team is going to do. It has it's ethical challenges for sure, but to me it's not equivalent to a member of one team intentionally signaling a pitch to a member of another team. Pitch-tipping also seems to me to be dangerously akin to point-shaving in basketball, something which gives an advantage to gamblers. There's no room for that in sports and given the treatment MLB gave to Pete Rose, I think they should come down harshly on anyone who can be proven to have participated in this scheme.

Merlin1958
05-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Funny, when I referenced Brett I was actually referring to the fact that Martin knew well in advance that the amount of Pine Tar on Brett's bat exceeded the rules. He just waited until it was to his benefit to invoke the rule. If Brett had struck out it would never have happened.

But I see your point and I agreed with you. Doing it to pad your stats is pretty low.

Sign Stealing and Pitch tipping seem to me to me in the same ballpark. I suppose you can make an argument that Sign Stealing means stealing the base coaches managers signs to the hitters/runners but, the catcher also gives signs to determine pitches to the pitcher. I've heard the term "Pitch-Tipping" used to describe a pitcher who has a "tell" as well. (dropping a shoulder when the fastball is coming) seemed to me to be a fairly fine line and dependant on the observer.

I guess the Belichick might prove to be a decent example. Its one thing to pick up on the other teams tendencies and signs from across the field and another to hide a camera there for that purpose. Then again how does Thompson's boys allegedly hiding in the scoreboard fir in? lol lol

I suppose it all boils down to that axiom "Yeah, but you got caught!!"

lol lol

jayson
05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Funny, when I referenced Brett I was actually referring to the fact that Martin knew well in advance that the amount of Pine Tar on Brett's bat exceeded the rules. He just waited until it was to his benefit to invoke the rule. If Brett had struck out it would never have happened.

I agree, but that to me is legitimate gamesmanship. The same thing happens every now and again in hockey when a coach notices an opposing player has a stick with too much of a curve in it but doesn't bring it up to the officials unless that player scores. I think that's fair. What you have is a coach noticing the opposing player is trying to cheat but if the cheating doesn't help them win they let it go.

I've heard the term "Pitch-Tipping" used to describe a pitcher who has a "tell" as well. (dropping a shoulder when the fastball is coming) seemed to me to be a fairly fine line and dependant on the observer.

The difference as I see it is that a "pitcher's tell" is something an observant opposing coach or player notices and uses to his own advantage whereas pitch-tipping is an intentional signal to the opposition. To extrapolate to football, it's like being able to read an offensive line-up and know a running play is coming as opposed to an offensive linemen telling a defensive tackle "Hey, we're running it to the right on this one."

I guess the Belichick might prove to be a decent example. Its one thing to pick up on the other teams tendencies and signs from across the field and another to hide a camera there for that purpose.

It's a great example. I think what Bellichick did crossed the line between great observant scouting and outright cheating. Frankly, I was shocked the penalty was so light. It seemed like the NFL just wanted it to go away.

Then again how does Thompson's boys allegedly hiding in the scoreboard fir in?

I'd say that's the baseball equivalent of what Bellichick did, only in real time not via videotape. It's cheating.

Merlin1958
05-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Well Guys, almost a month since the last post and it seems to be a different story!!! ARod has made a big difference to the team and Tex but, so has Melky who is really stepping up!!! Finally Girardi is getting with the program!! He's finally recognized that Cano has taken a whole new approach to hitting this year (He actually walks!) and moved him up to protect Arod. Matsui will come around (He's not "Loading up" again and problem of his in the past as well) and hopefully Jorge will get back soon.

I really like the energy the C&C boys bring to the team (Cano & Cabrera). They seem so loose and appear to have that "swagger" again. Now if the bullpen would just figure out what it is we'd be in business!!

jayson
05-24-2009, 09:25 AM
It's good that they're winning. Still, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat on a night in and night out basis is not going to cut it come the fall. They need to be winning before the ninth if they are going to win playoff games.

jayson
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm kind of torn about this one. :orely:

I know Burnett was sending a message to the Rangers about throwing at Teixiera, and I know that bean ball goes back a long way, but it's been pretty well established that you don't throw at a guy's head.

If Burnett plunked the guy in the ribs or threw it behind him I'd be completely supportive, but I can understand the suspension for throwing near someone's head. That crosses the line to where someone could be seriously injured.

----------
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4230518

Burnett appealing 6-game suspension

Yankees pitcher A.J. Burnett has been suspended six games for throwing a pitch over the head of the Rangers' Nelson Cruz in Tuesday night's game. Burnett has filed an appeal of the penalty, however, and will be allowed to pitch until the appeals process is complete.

Rangers pitcher Vicente Padilla, who hit Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira with two pitches Tuesday, was fined an undisclosed amount.

Teixeira was hit below the right shoulder by Padilla in the second inning. Then he was hit on the buttocks in the fourth.

Burnett threw a pitch over the head of Cruz in the fifth that sent the cleanup hitter sprawling, prompting plate umpire Doug Eddings to warn both dugouts. Cruz had put the Rangers ahead 3-2 with a three-run homer in the third.

"I got to pitch in," Burnett said. "Warnings are warnings, man. It doesn't bother me."

But Teixeira hinted there was more to it.

"I think there was a little message sent," he said.

Rangers manager Ron Washington defended Padilla, who was activated before the game and allowed seven runs, seven hits and four walks in 3 2/3 innings.

"I guess he was trying to get inside on him, keep him from diving over the plate," Washington said.

turtlex
08-10-2009, 03:05 AM

:cry:

Oh the difference a couple of months can make.

jayson
08-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Oh the difference a couple of months can make.

exactly

i'll take the august sweep over the april sweep any time.

the yankees really got themselves a bit of breathing room now, 6.5 ahead of boston and 8 ahead of the rays. consistency down the stretch here will be the key to walking away with the division and heading into the playoffs on the right track.

CRinVA
08-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Well I'm on cloud 9 right now myself! :-)

turtlex
08-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Well... I'd love to say that the Yanks played amazing... but honestly, mostly, the Red Sox just played horribly. :cry:

This feels so familiar. :nope: I sooooo wish it didn't.

( yeah, since I came in and did a :ninja: sweep dance when the Red Sox pulled it off earlier, I figued I owed it to you all to bow my head and come in and do the dance for you!! )

jayson
08-10-2009, 05:45 AM
oh i'd be sure to give some credit to the yankees, especially the pitching staff which performed solidly and kept the red sox off the scoreboard for the vast majority of the series. pitching wins championships and the yankees are getting strong pitching performances at the right time.

turtlex
08-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Hey. I'm doing the best I can here. :P

I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan, afterall.

jayson
08-10-2009, 05:57 AM
well, i'll take seeing boston go 31 innings without a run whether it's due to yankee pitching or boston's inability to put a bat on the ball or both. any way you slice it, it works out well for the yankees.

all i know is, this appears to be another season in which cc sabathia gets better and better as the season rolls along. that performance on saturday was nothing short of extraordinary. the guy was worth every penny if this is how he's going to pitch down the stretch.

Still Servant
08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
That went well. What a great weekend.

It's not over yet though. Still a lot of season left. I still think the Yankees need to get a fifth starter for the stretch run.

Merlin1958
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Boston Massacre!!!!!!!!!!!!

31 scoreless innings!!!!!!

Of course the Yanks didn't play well the Sox played bad!!!! Still its 4 in the win column for the:

New York Yankees!!!!!

Ok now that that's outta my system. Any comments from the public re" Ortiz/Ramirez Steriods??? personally I'm staring to get a little sick of it from the media. Just reveal the list and lets ALL move on!!! C'mon some of you out there gotta be getting toward the same feeling?

Obviously, anyone who looked like he was doing it, WAS!!! lol lol

All hail Pujols the first of the "Clean" Sluggers!!!!!! At least until he's not. lol

And Jeter is still the "class" and "face" of the game!!!

Merlin1958
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Another Walk-off Win courtesy of Robbie Cano!!!

Take the Pie in the eye Robbie!!!

2 of 3 from Toronto!!

jayson
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
i'll restate what i said much earlier in the season

i will take all the walk off wins now happily, but come playoff time, if they are still relying on the last minute heroics to win games, they will have problems.

Merlin1958
08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
With all due respect, the post-season is exactly WHEN you want the ability to perform theatrics, ala Aaron Boone, Bucky fucking Dent, Reggie and etc.

The fact that they have evidenced this ability NOW is (I think) very encouraging. They have a club-wide attitude that they will win any game.

jayson
08-12-2009, 05:24 PM
not saying it won't help then. logic dictates it would always help.

what i'm saying is, they would do best to avoid situations where they need to rely on late inning home runs because it could just as easily come back to haunt them as help them.

Merlin1958
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I hear what you are saying but have to respectfully dis-agree. Their late-inning prowess is a distinct advantage. I know what you mean but, with this team it is just what they need. A sort of swagger, ala 1998, we are NEVER out of it!!

know what I mean?

Merlin1958
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Okay, So on the Eve of another Yankees vs The other guys series this weekend any predictions, thoughts or critique?

Just some thoughts but, I am cautiously opptomistic about Pettite. Last year he did a fade after the break and this year (at least so far) he continues to be a gamer. Even when he doesn't have his best "stuff" he has that Andy of old warrior thing going.

Love this guy Hairston. What a great addition!!!

We have to get A-Rod going. Anyone else curious why Tex bats 3 and Arod 4? shouldn't Joe switch em for awhile just to jump start things? While I'm on the subject, if there is anything to the "protection" theories in baseball, wouldn't it be wise to maybe drop Damon for Swisher in the order and so on? Mix em up a little more? Except for Cano. just leave him where he is. Just seems like the whole 1-9 strategy is very NL and very outdated in todays game. Especially with the Yankees who could give Pitchers panic attacks throughout the order, even when they are ALL not on fire. Just some idle thoughts for a non-gameday.

CRinVA
08-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Isn't the #3 batter the teams best hitter! If so then Tex is where he belongs right now!

I too like Hairston - I am pulling for Andy - he is one of my fav Yankees. His w-l doesn;t look great but he is pitgching extremely well right now.

Looking forward to CC v. Beckett on Sunday night baseball! It could really paly intot he Cy Young!

jayson
08-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Just seems like the whole 1-9 strategy is very NL and very outdated in todays game.

on this point, i couldn't disagree more. the national league style has worked for so long and continues to work today because it is a proven system built on fundamental baseball on both offense and defense, rather than the american league style of putting all the eggs in one basket and hoping for more home runs than the opponent.

to say it's outdated, well, i'm not sure where that comes from.

look at the success the rays had last year. where did that come from? a team of young guys playing strong fundamental baseball and a solid pitching staff. joe maddon's style last year was extremely national league and it's what made the rays competitive.

this year, maddon abandoned that style and now tries to have the rays slug it out with the rest of the american league east. today the rays sit 10.5 games out of first in the last weeks of august.

so you tell me, which strategy works?

i have made this same point time and again in this thread and i guess once more won't kill me

come playoff time, i am not looking for the yankees to play home run derby every night. i'm not saying they don't have the lineup to do it, but it's an extremely risky strategy to employ night in and night out in a playoff series. it sure as hell seems like a long time to me since it actually worked in terms of getting the yankees to the world series and winning it all.

as for pettite, you all know how i feel. i will be happy with a good performance because it helps the team. nonetheless, he cheated. he knows he cheated. his "excuse" about it was the lamest and most insulting to the intelligence of the fans.

i gladly accept any contributions pettite and rodriguez make to the team. still, i'd be happier to see them go. rooting for proven cheaters doesn't sit right with me.

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Isn't the #3 batter the teams best hitter! If so then Tex is where he belongs right now!

I too like Hairston - I am pulling for Andy - he is one of my fav Yankees. His w-l doesn;t look great but he is pitgching extremely well right now.

Looking forward to CC v. Beckett on Sunday night baseball! It could really paly intot he Cy Young!

Actually, ARod is the better "Hitter". Typically ARod will sport a 300+ Avg while Tex will hit in the 270-290 range perhaps with more power. And given the way this season is unfolding Arod should be in the 3 hole with Tex batting cleanup. In the 3 spot ARod should see better pitches helping him to get his Avg up. At clean-up Tex will have even more RBI opportunities.

To Jayson: When I said NL I didn't clarify. What I meant by referring to the NL is the "Old Time" baseball mentality. I like building a run as much as the next guyand that ability is critical to a playoff winner. I meant that some of the old conventions need to be re-examined. Why does your worst hitter have to bat 9th? you only go through the 1-9 order once a game. Torre in 98 had 1-3 twice in the order if you recall.

Merlin1958
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Minor beef when you consider the way they are winning but, then everyone's a "manager" lol lol

2 of 3 from the Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, we went from 0-8 to 6-9 in what seems like a hurry!!!!!!!

27 here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MPatrick
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Tough loss last night, but it fits right in with what you are saying. They are NEVER out of it. That mentality has been sorely missing these last few years. To take a punch, get knocked down, and then come back anyway?

It's true that you want to try and avoid coming from behind, of course. But it's also great to know you have it in you. They may have fallen short last night, but I expect them to get right back up tonight and take it to them. The whole dugout, besides looking shocked at not winning, looked pissed.

Oh, and not only from 0-8 to 6-9 in a blink, but from 5.5 back of the Sux, err Sox, to taking a pretty commanding lead is sweet. Just have to keep it up.

If they keep playing this way, on this kind of pace, we could be looking at 102+ wins.

Here's to #27!!!:excited:

Merlin1958
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Bounce-back Ass-whooping last night and they're ahead right now 1-0. That's the ticket 2 outta every 3 will get them the division and the post-season

Merlin1958
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I doubt anyone will agree but, I don't like Girardi as manager of the Yanks. He's a good guy and a very good manager just not a fit for the Yanks IMHO. He just seems to make too many "moves" for the sake of making a "move". My reasons for this opinion are too many to list but, why the Hell did he pull Burnett today? The guy was cruising with 12 KO's and he pulls him for the 7th. You at least could have gotten the 7th outta him maybe the 8th and its still a 3-2 game we could definitely have won.

He just always seems to be tinkering where no tinkering is needed. Maybe he read Bobby Valentines book or something? Like I said its just an overall feeling but I needed to get my rant on!! LOL LOL LOL

Oh well onto the next series!!!!

MPatrick
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I don't like him too, but when the moves work, he does seem smarter!

My brother is right there with you though. He's always texting me, "Why would Girardi do that?" It's amazing how he can do so well in building a bullpen, and then he makes weird decisions.

Oh, and what's happened to Phil Hughes? He's hardly been used lately.

But really, minor nitpicking. On to face the other Sox. Hopefully they do better this time around. I really can't stand Ozzy G...just seems like such an a-hole.

:onfire:

Merlin1958
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Sometimes I don't like him too, but when the moves work, he does seem smarter!

My brother is right there with you though. He's always texting me, "Why would Girardi do that?" It's amazing how he can do so well in building a bullpen, and then he makes weird decisions.

Oh, and what's happened to Phil Hughes? He's hardly been used lately.

But really, minor nitpicking. On to face the other Sox. Hopefully they do better this time around. I really can't stand Ozzy G...just seems like such an a-hole.

:onfire:

Yeah, that's another thing what the hell with Hughes? I mean he seems to think that Phil is only capable of 3 outs. He brings him in with 2 out in the 7th then takes him out for Rivera with 2 out in the 8th. Whats up with that? My sentiments to your brother!!!!

I don't care for Guillen either but you gotta admit he makes for great TV lol lol lol

MPatrick
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
LOL, he certainly does. He's such a hot-head. Hopefully we treat them worse then the Red Sux did...

Merlin1958
09-26-2009, 09:17 AM
OK fella's Magic Number for the division is 3, we just whooped on the Red Sux and the Playoffs are just around the bend........Lets hear some chatter out there!!!!!

:rock::rock::rock::thumbsup:

P.S.

I think Hip Hip Jorge coulda been a contender!!!!!

LOL

Merlin1958
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Ok Folks........Number 27 here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one should be for George!!!

jayson
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
i've met mr. steinbrenner many times (i used to work for him). he really is one of the nicest and most generous people you'd ever want to meet.

Merlin1958
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
i've met mr. steinbrenner many times (i used to work for him). he really is one of the nicest and most generous people you'd ever want to meet.

Yes he is!!! Most folks don't realize how lucky we are to have him as the owner of the Yankees. Among all the owners he puts the money back into the team!!! That guy in Minnesota? The MLB disbursement goes into his pocket!!! I've met Mr. Stienbrenner as well (although not as intimately as working for him). My Brother in law's best friend was the interpeter for Hideki Irabu back in the day. I got to meet him twice, once at the stadium and once at a Diabetes Charity Golf Event (Which I played with Yogi in my six-some). I got the invite (Invite? $3000.00 a head LOL) through my old business partner Fred Mazzilli (Yep, Lee's brother) when he was in line to manage back in the 90's. I really hope they can get George one more title this year before he leaves us. Much as I hated his ass in the 70-80's, I love and appreciate him now!!!

Merlin1958
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, where are you guys? We're into the ALCS and ....zip... nothing!!!! I really like our chances so today I will have on my "Boston Sucks" T-Shirt, my Yankee jersey, and on my table, my Godzilla statue and my Nick Swisher "Yankee Gnome" in preperation for todays Game One!!!! C'mon folks!! Support your Yankees!!!! I think we should dedicate this one to George Stienbrenner!!! What do you think?

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doh
10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm with ya brother, I like the Yankees a lot. Have always been an A-Rod fan and still can't believe he was jobbed out of the MVP his rookie year by the hometown press.

I look for him to continue to deliver throughout the playoffs.

Am I the only one missing the pitch tracker TBS used in the DS?

jayson
10-17-2009, 02:46 PM
i'm still here

i tend to wait to see how things turn out

yesterday was quite impressive

how did they win?

strong pitching, solid defense, and base hits.

in other words, like a national league team.

it was fun to watch the yankees just outwork the angels instead of beating their brains in with home runs

that they can do tonight :rolleyes:

seriously, tonight would be a better night for that. burnett needs the mental support of security runs. if the yanks put up big numbers early, he will be comfortable and hopefully pitch well.

two more things about last night...

sabbathia is worth twice what they paid for him. that guy is just phehomenal.

i know i've said this before. still, rivera is the best closer ever (and he wears #42 so, yeah, he's special)

on with game two (weather permitting)

CRinVA
10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
13 innings of weird baseball - bottom line is the yankees won so all is well in the Bronx. On to the Left Coast! :_)

SpaceMaN
10-19-2009, 07:50 AM
was this thread started so they'd win it all like ole Constant Writer did for the red sox?

jayson
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
today's game might be the most important

getting off to a good start was nice, but the yanks have won the first game and lost the series far too often for me to be too comfortable

today though...

if we go into their ballpark and take it to them and put them down 3-0, making every game after do or die for them, they will die once before they do four times in a row, especially with cc on the mound again tomorrow.

i'd like this series to be over tomorrow and let the phils and dodgers slug it out for seven games and get those arms nice and worn out.

Merlin1958
10-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm with you dude, put 'em away in 4 or 5 and I'll feel better. Sat. was an amazing game to watch. I may have aged a whole year in 4 innings!!!!

Can't believe Arod is finally stepping up in Oct. the way he has. We need him to continue and together with the starters and bullpen we should be in good shape!!!!!!

Pie in the Bronx again on Sat. Tastes the best there LOL

jayson
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
so who else wishes they hadn't sent gardner to steal 2nd two minutes ago?

if he'd have still been on base, posada would have just put them ahead.

still, they are tied now and have 2 outs left here in the 8th and cano just got on. two base hits and he's home.

cody44
10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I have not been watching this thread in anyway, but I'm a big yankees fan. It was passed down from my dad, and I have memories from my childhood of the '98-00 seasons.

That same thought crossed my mind Jayson. The last two games have been nail-biters.

EDIT*

Damn, the bottom of the 10th had me on the edge of my seat. Mariano Rivera is probably going to go down as one of (if not the best) closers in the game of baseball.

cody44
10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Does it appear to anybody else that umps make calls in retaliation to bad calls? The call against Swisher seemed like it was in retaliation to the bad tag call. Did you feel like it was just another bad call, or an ump trying to set the game even again.

Just curious what other people think.

*edit*

Now that they've shown the footage of the ump, I'm not sure how he could have seen it. I'm interested in what he has to say after the game.

Merlin1958
10-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Does it appear to anybody else that umps make calls in retaliation to bad calls? The call against Swisher seemed like it was in retaliation to the bad tag call. Did you feel like it was just another bad call, or an ump trying to set the game even again.

Just curious what other people think.

*edit*

Now that they've shown the footage of the ump, I'm not sure how he could have seen it. I'm interested in what he has to say after the game.

I definitely think it happens especially after the Masnager comes out and argues a play that maybe the Ump doesn't feel "good" about. However I doubt it happened in this instance as there was really no way for the 3rd base Ump to know 2nd blew the call and the plays occurred in the same inning so no way to communicate unless at the commercial break or something.

Hey, Umps are human too and while sometimes it sucks it has ALWAYS been a part of the game. The human factor and all. I do however think that MLB may start to seriously consider a NFL challenge type thing (perhaps just for the post-season) in the near future, which might add a nice additional dimension to the Managerial startegy of the game. Just hope it doesn't happen while Girardi is still the Manager!!!! LOL

Side Note: Someone needs to super-glue his ass to the bench for every game that Sabbathia is not pitching a Gem!!!!!

Second Side Note: I think all this base-running hullabaloo has its roots in recent successes of other playoff teams. Girardi was quoted as saying they have a team wide philosophy of "being agressive" on the bases. Hence gardner seems to think he can run at any time even when they've got him dead to rights!! LOL But seriously I think all the teams seem to be trying to be "aggressive" on the paths and sacraficing common sense for that "make something happen" philosophy. probably just a Fad born out of Sports Illustrated and the media coverage in recent seasons (as well as the Rays). The teams will figure out that not everybody is Carl Crawford or the next incarnation of Rickey Henderson!!LOL

10 Runs+1 more win = 40 American League Championships!!!!!

11 Post Season wins = 27 World Championships!!!!

GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!

Sit, Joe, Sit. The only time you need to get up is when it's time to bring in Chamberlain, Hughes and finally MO!!!!!!

P.S. to Jayson: Yep, he "ran" himself outta a RUN!!!! and he did it again last night. Doesn't Joe realize these are the Bronx Bombers and not the Phillies? A little NL mixed in is fine and good but, we're in the AL and the Bronx not the NL and Shea Stadium!!! (No offense to Met fans intended but they do Suck!!! LOL LOL)

cody44
10-25-2009, 08:07 PM
WOOT!!!!!

Here we come Phillies!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
boo hiss

Merlin1958
10-26-2009, 08:22 AM
The Yankees Win!!!! The Yankees Win!!!!!

And Browning? Hate the game not the playa!!!!!! LOL LOL

Hope its 1950 all over again!!!!

Aura & Mystique are back!!

:dance::rock::dance::thumbsup::cool:

jayson
10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
it should prove to be a very interesting matchup

as much as the yankees are a team built to thrive in that launchpad of a stadium, if i had to pick a single other team that could take advantage of a park like that one, it'd be the phillies. like the yankees, they are stacked top to bottom with guys that can send the ball for a ride.

my one hope for this series is that girardi gets his head out of his ass with the bullpen situation. he made some rather questionable decisions against the angels, costing us the game at least once. hopefully, he learned that lesson.

Merlin1958
10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
it should prove to be a very interesting matchup

as much as the yankees are a team built to thrive in that launchpad of a stadium, if i had to pick a single other team that could take advantage of a park like that one, it'd be the phillies. like the yankees, they are stacked top to bottom with guys that can send the ball for a ride.

my one hope for this series is that girardi gets his head out of his ass with the bullpen situation. he made some rather questionable decisions against the angels, costing us the game at least once. hopefully, he learned that lesson.

Couldn't agree more. We need to get someone to Super-Glue his ass to the bench!!!!! They should nail Gardners foot to the floor as well. Girardi pulls bats for speed too often. Like last night he put in Gardner with Cano on second. Had the Angels tied it we would have been without Matsui's bat. Just didn't seem to warrant the loss of the bat against Gardners speed to score as you would need a double (at least) to get him in anyway, cause he wasn't scoring until Cano did.

cody44
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
My one hope for this series is that Girardi gets his head out of his ass with the bullpen situation. he made some rather questionable decisions against the angels, costing us the game at least once. hopefully, he learned that lesson.

No kidding, it was frustrating.

Well, at least we get a well rested C.C. Sabathia tomorrow night. He has really proved his worth this season.

Merlin1958
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Well for the most part Girardi has kept his ass on the bench until necessary and we are:

1 win from 27 World Championships!!!!

Yeah Baby!!!!!!

Merlin1958
11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
By the Way.......Go Brother henderson and the Falcon's (Roddy White) vs the Ain'ts!!!!

And Spaceman this is a Fantasy dilemma.....I've got Colston on my $$ League team but I'm rooting for Mitton to win.......Is there no Fantasy Football God? LBNOLl (Laughing but not out loud, just for you!!)

Damn!!!! I thought I was posting in the DT Fantasy Football thread!!!!!! Ok I'm an idiot!!

Merlin1958
11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
27th World Championships!!!

This One's for the Boss!!

Thanks George and the rest of the World Champion

N.Y. Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
OK, 2009 is behind us and we are World Champions!!!!

Now, as George said to Girardi, "Let's get to work on No. 28!!!!!!!!!

New Thread, I think?

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
OK Yankee fans we won in 2009 now it's time to "get back to work" supporting the 2010 version of our World Champion "N.Y. Yankees!!!!!

Hot Stove reports are welcome!!!!

jayson
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
i think this thread has gotten enough response to warrant their being a yankees thread, but not a second one (though i suspect you were joking). for now we can leave it as it is, but perhaps soon i can just change it to "The New York Yankees Thread" and then we can just discuss all yankee related material here. sound reasonable?

Randall Flagg
11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
How soon should we archive the '09 Yankee thread? I'm thinking now as you started a '10 thread.:P

Brice
11-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Why not just merge the two and change the title to reflect the 2010 season.

Brice
11-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking merging the tqo threads.

Merlin1958
11-13-2009, 08:05 AM

Great idea!!! That's why they put guys like you in charge!!! Innovative thinking.

Seems like a good solution to me, but whichever you guys deem appropriate works for me!!!

Yanks in 2010!!!!

:panic::panic::panic:

IWasSentWest
11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
go braves.....

:rock:

Merlin1958
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
go braves.....

Fair enough!! But you may not command much support for that sentiment here!!! LOL LOL LOL

Do you recall Jim Leyritz? J/K

Brice
11-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Great idea!!! That's why they put guys like you in charge!!! Innovative thinking.

Seems like a good solution to me, but whichever you guys deem appropriate works for me!!!

Yanks in 2010!!!!

I'm on my way to do that now.

Merlin1958
11-14-2009, 08:36 AM
How soon should we archive the '09 Yankee thread? I'm thinking now as you started a '10 thread.:P

Do I detect an OTYF (Other Than Yankee fan) at work here?

Merlin1958
11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Sung to "Mrs. Robinson" Where have you gone all you Yankee fans? the Yanks have left but have not gone away.................hey hey hey!!

Hot stove!!! Should they sign pettitte? Damon? Matsui? Holliday?

Trade for Halladay?

Weigh in folks! Baseball goes into "sleeper" mode but not away!!! What will the Stienbrenner's get us for Christmas?

LOL LOL

jayson
11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Should they sign pettitte?

depends what he wants. for a reasonable price for a single year at a time, yes.

Damon?

depends if they get holliday.

if so, no, they won't need damon.

holliday has more to offer than damon at the plate and a hell of a lot more in the field.

if not, depending on what damon wants, i could see signing him again.

Matsui?

absolutely
i'll never be a fan of the DH but if ever there was a DH it's matsui

Holliday?

already answered in the part on damon

Trade for Halladay?

wouldn't be the worst idea depending on what they have to give up

a third/fourth (depending on pettite) solid starter and they can permanently put joba back where he belongs, in the pen

Merlin1958
11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Should they sign pettitte?

depends what he wants. for a reasonable price for a single year at a time, yes.

Damon?

depends if they get holliday.

if so, no, they won't need damon.

holliday has more to offer than damon at the plate and a hell of a lot more in the field.

if not, depending on what damon wants, i could see signing him again.

Matsui?

absolutely
i'll never be a fan of the DH but if ever there was a DH it's matsui

Holliday?

already answered in the part on damon

Trade for Halladay?

wouldn't be the worst idea depending on what they have to give up

a third/fourth (depending on pettite) solid starter and they can permanently put joba back where he belongs, in the pen

Cool!! I was trying to get the dialogue going again. I think Pettitte may take the "Clemens" route and come back in July. I think they should sign Damon, although (painfully) maybe not Matsui but they both have "Playoff" proven capabilities and that is a special quality Holliday does not possess. Matsui would most likely be reasonable in contract terms just to stay in NY but, I think in the long run he may want to just go home a "hero". I would like to see them go after pitching "full tilt boogie" sort of as they did last year. I also think if Nady can come back from surgery he could be a big addition in RF but also a big "If". Main concern may be making sure certain folks don't get signed by the Sox!!!!!!!!!

jayson
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I think they should sign Damon, although (painfully) maybe not Matsui but they both have "Playoff" proven capabilities and that is a special quality Holliday does not possess.

i'm going from memory here, so correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't holliday the mvp of the 2007 national league championship series? seems a strong playoff credential to build upon.

CRinVA
11-18-2009, 06:52 AM
glad this thread is going!

Pettitte - I' dlike to see him come back, but kind of like Mussina he could retire on a big note - THE CLINCHER for all three playoff series! I would like to see him pitch next year.

Matsui / Damon - I'd guess one has to go! I was totally leaning towards Matsui going away, but his World Series was huge. When he was at bat i was at ease! He has to hit the big hits - it's the only way he can get around teh bases on those bulky knees! :wtf:

Holliday would be a welcome additon in my humble opinion.

Pitching in general - what about Wong - he will be back - can he become his former two in a row 19 game winner! And the conundrum of Huges and Jaba - both have excelled in the Pen and I think Hughes could excel as a starter!

What about Molina - defensively he is the boss, but not when he is in the batters box! I think he is a pretty expensive backup to Jorge! I'd like to see Cervelli be the backup!

Nady ?????????? I like him bu the is a ????????????

Jorge will eventually migrate to DH - how long can his knees hold up! BUT, I am always onfident when he is at the plate - He is one of the Yankee Leaders.

The infield is all locked up! As it should be!

And Swisher - man he belongs there! He might not have gteh average but he is a team spark! He saved the Yankees in April when Tex wasn't hitting and A-Rod was out!

MPatrick
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice!

Pettitte: I say sign him, as he should be your #4 or 5 guy. That and he's proven for all time that his full name is Andrew Eugene "Big Game" Pettitte.

I'm still not convinced about the Joba in the pen deal though. Of course I could be wrong, but I think the Yanks would be smart at this point to try him as a starter again. Of course, if they work out a good trade for a capable arm, and maybe sign a 3 or 4, then yeah put him in the pen.

His velocity wasn't that improved once he went back to the pen, but of course that could have been the jerking around from last season. I don't know though. A great pitcher is going to do well in the bullpen. Not every pitcher can start, but every really good pitcher can relieve. Of course, grooming him as Mo's replacement sounds great on paper, but Mo is once in a lifetime. It's not just stuff it's mentality. I'm not convinced Joba is that guy.

Look at Hughes. Should he be in the pen too? Do we just forget that they are young and learning on the job? Especially Joba. He hardly pitched in the minors before coming up in relief. Pointless argument anyway, in my opinion. Unless they wind up flush with new pitching, Joba is a starter next year.

Matsui/Damon: Ah, that's tough. It's always tough when your team wins and a free agent is a huge part of why you won. I just can't see signing Matsui. He's playing on two bad knees, and he can't run. Damon? If Damon wants 2 years I say fine, but he wants 4. No way. Not even 3 with an option. This team got damn lucky this year considering how old they are. We can't expect the lack of injuries next season.

Holliday? Of course! The money will be high, but he's still young enough. Definitely an upgrade in the outfield.

I guess the trade talk is for Ol' Doc from Toronto? Never gonna happen, but of course! He's a Beast in the East, and that's huge. He just might be the best pitcher in baseball right now. How can they trade Halladay to the Yanks or BoSox though? The price would have to be ridiculous, and he's a free agent at the end of next season. The Yanks have wisely shown the ability to hold off on that kind of trade. Santana is a great pitcher, but he would have cost CC money PLUS prospects. Doesn't make sense (just look at the Mets now, and they STOLE him).

I know I've been hearing rumors of Granderson being traded to the Yanks. If I'm remembering my #s correctly, he's a good defender, and has been showing signs of a power growth. I guess depending on what the Tigers would want it is definitely interesting.

I'm curious what you all think about Hughes. Should he be a setup guy? His demeanor coming out of the pen was stellar. That's the kind of attitude you want from someone who may close someday.

Me? I'm sticking with Phil the starter. The Yanks have proven two years in a row that they can piece together a good bullpen with spare parts. Ian Kennedy can be that guy next year. Melancon? A few kids in the minors might be able to plug the hole Joba and Phil leave.

I just think it's so much harder to find a guy that will give you 200 innings then a guy who will give you, what? 85?

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Nice!

Pettitte: I say sign him, as he should be your #4 or 5 guy. That and he's proven for all time that his full name is Andrew Eugene "Big Game" Pettitte.

Agreed!!

I'm still not convinced about the Joba in the pen deal though. Of course I could be wrong, but I think the Yanks would be smart at this point to try him as a starter again. Of course, if they work out a good trade for a capable arm, and maybe sign a 3 or 4, then yeah put him in the pen.

His velocity wasn't that improved once he went back to the pen, but of course that could have been the jerking around from last season. I don't know though. A great pitcher is going to do well in the bullpen. Not every pitcher can start, but every really good pitcher can relieve. Of course, grooming him as Mo's replacement sounds great on paper, but Mo is once in a lifetime. It's not just stuff it's mentality. I'm not convinced Joba is that guy.

I don't know about "every good pitcher" relieving like you say it takes a certain "mind-set" to be successful. They are going to have to replace Mo sooner or (hopefully) later. He has proven effective in the pen as has Hughes. You know the Yanks have a different approach (or at least the luxury of employing a different approach) they can trade either of them for Halladay and sign either back after they have matured into viable starters. They can certainly afford it. Then you would have CC, Burnett, Halladay (whom the Toronto GM said he would have no problem dealing to the East), Pettitte and either Wang or Hughes or Mitre or w/e for the fifth starter and still have virtually the same strengh in the pen that allowed them to get away with basically 3 quality starters in 09 and still win a series. Plus Boston doesn't get him and if we get Doc and they sign Lackey we still come out ahead.

Look at Hughes. Should he be in the pen too? Do we just forget that they are young and learning on the job? Especially Joba. He hardly pitched in the minors before coming up in relief. Pointless argument anyway, in my opinion. Unless they wind up flush with new pitching, Joba is a starter next year.

Matsui/Damon: Ah, that's tough. It's always tough when your team wins and a free agent is a huge part of why you won. I just can't see signing Matsui. He's playing on two bad knees, and he can't run. Damon? If Damon wants 2 years I say fine, but he wants 4. No way. Not even 3 with an option. This team got damn lucky this year considering how old they are. We can't expect the lack of injuries next season.

They could give damon 2 with a 3rd year option. He's a proven Post season performer. I also like the kid Nady and hope he makes it all the way back both contract and talent-wise. he should come fairly cheap and he had to "watch" his teamates win a championship. That should give him some motivation.

Holliday? Of course! The money will be high, but he's still young enough. Definitely an upgrade in the outfield.

Yep, and if Damon and Boras prove too much bring back Godzilla to DH and PH he is also a proven post-season commodity.

I guess the trade talk is for Ol' Doc from Toronto? Never gonna happen, but of course! He's a Beast in the East, and that's huge. He just might be the best pitcher in baseball right now. How can they trade Halladay to the Yanks or BoSox though? The price would have to be ridiculous, and he's a free agent at the end of next season. The Yanks have wisely shown the ability to hold off on that kind of trade. Santana is a great pitcher, but he would have cost CC money PLUS prospects. Doesn't make sense (just look at the Mets now, and they STOLE him).

See Above LOL

I know I've been hearing rumors of Granderson being traded to the Yanks. If I'm remembering my #s correctly, he's a good defender, and has been showing signs of a power growth. I guess depending on what the Tigers would want it is definitely interesting.

From what I recall he is sort of a young Damon sans some power. He'd be a good fit for the "2 CF Yankee Stadium and could flourish in the 2 spot.

I'm curious what you all think about Hughes. Should he be a setup guy? His demeanor coming out of the pen was stellar. That's the kind of attitude you want from someone who may close someday.

Me? I'm sticking with Phil the starter. The Yanks have proven two years in a row that they can piece together a good bullpen with spare parts. Ian Kennedy can be that guy next year. Melancon? A few kids in the minors might be able to plug the hole Joba and Phil leave.

Well I believe the reason they could screw around with the "kids" was because the bullpen was so strong. You start moving guys to the rotation outta the pen and it suddenly ain't so strong. look at Joba, at best we got mixed regular season results from pulling him outta the pen '08-'09. Should we try that twice? I don't know. The bridge to Rivera is crucial and Hughes built it. Especially since Mo is getting older and can't be asked for those 4,5 & 6 out saves too much.

I just think it's so much harder to find a guy that will give you 200 innings then a guy who will give you, what? 85?

You're absolutely right however. nowadays the 85 inning guy is just as crucial. Sad? Maybe. True? definitely

Overall, I could live with them signing one or two "B" list pitchers (Wolf or Washburn) keeping Joba & Hughes "Just the way they are" and then pray on Andy, Wang and the "kids". So long as they run interference and don't let Boston improve. Remember its always an "Arms Race" with The Fucking Red Sox, kinda like the Cold War LOL LOL Boston Sucks!!!! And I have the T-Shirt to prove it!!

Anyway, I guess that's my 3 beans. Back to you!!

Side Note: As someone who was all over Girardi with some of his managerial moves in the playoffs. I feel its only right that I equally praise him for his turnaround and subsequent WS performance. Believe it or not, Girardi OUT-MANAGED Manuel in the series. Manuel made a few really BAD moves and Girardi managed not to. Maybe he spoke with Torre? lol lol

Merlin1958
11-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Boston Sucks!!!!!!

Sorry, that just popped out!!!

LOL LOL LOL

P.S. It will be interesting to see what George and the boys get us fans for Christmas!!! Hope its as good as last year!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MPatrick
11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I can definitely see your points, and I didn't hear that the new Toronto GM would trade Doc to an East team. Makes sense, now that I think about it. Why take two teams with the mix of money/prospects/ML ready talent? Still, it would take much more for the Sux or Yanks to get him. It would be guys already in the Show and top tier prospects. While a team from the NL would get some from column A and some from column B.

Also, would Cashman trade away kids for a guy that they'll have to pay $100 million for? Obviously, with a pitcher this good you listen.

I'm also with you on keeping the best from Boston. Hopefully, Jason Bay goes to the West Coast (Giants maybe?) and then we get Holliday.

Really, when it comes to guys like Damon, age is a worry, but they time and again show they can perform when the lights are brightest. Not something easily seen in stats...but that's if he can stay healthy and actually play in the postseason.

I still think almost any good pitcher can have success in the bullpen. Not every guy in relief needs to have that closer mentality. Also, there is a big difference between being the 6, 7 or 8th inning guy, and being a closer. Small sample sizes, but Randy Johnson was lights out in the bullpen. Mussina came in once during the playoffs and was lights out. John Smoltz wound up being turned into a closer and that worked. I do understand though that there are some starters that may not like the change in routine. Again, I bring up Mussina. He was an every 5th day kind of guy, and it would have helped if I thought of that! Still, I guess I should think about the fact that not everyone has the mentality to start. All fired up does work for an inning or two, not 6+. Just to give up on Joba after a weird bad year. I would like to see him have a chance from spring training with no ridiculous Joba Rules.

Am I convinced that Joba can be a top flight starter? No. Do I believe that if he shows next season that he can't, that he can slide back into the bullpen? Absolutely.

I just find it funny that everyone forgets that Mo, while the best of all time, was closing for a reason.

As for Giardi? Right on. For the 1st two rounds of the playoffs, I was wondering when he would manage us right out of the playoffs. Then something seemed to click, and he came through in the clutch. Much like A-Rod. Manuel did not have a good WS.

Anyway, good for us!! I'm still feeling the afterglow of winning the WS. Like I was a part of it! Helps me forget about that basketball team that's playing in the Garden.

Hopefully you're right and we have a nice Christmas present this year. I'm hoping for Holliday. I know Lackey is good, but he gets hurt (and was hurt last year). Really though, I just can't stand the thought of having to look at that mug in HD every 5 days or so. Just say no...:panic:

Merlin1958
11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
You may want to pop over to the Yanks site. There's some Hot stove stuff concerning Granderson, Halladay etc that you may find interesting

Merlin1958
12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Well here we go boys & girls!!! Granderson is a major pick-up!!! Maybe doesn't have the post -season experience of Damon but he can get it!! Way to go Cashman!! I have to admit I didn't LOVE giving up Austin or Coke but........ We shall see.

If this is any indication, trade vs Free Agent, Doc may be coming to the Bronx!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Okay, so Doc went to the Phils & Lee to the Mariners (Seattle looks like they have a mission!!) and lackey to "Those that shall remain Nameless". I got a hunch that Cashman may have a trade for Derek Lowe in his back pocket. No solid evidence but just a hunch from reading all the Hot stove reports around the league. If Atlanta kicks in some $$$ and Lowe has worked out his "Mechanics", this would be a nice manueaver to counter those N.E. guys and strengthen the Rotation. Also Lowe has 3 years remaining and is relatively young.

Anyone else hear anything? Any thoughts?

Merlin1958
12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Okay so it was Vasquez not Lowe Cashman had up his sleeve. While I will definitely miss Melky, this is a much needed addition to the staff. Vasquez should eat up alot of innings and get 12-15 wins. It also puts (probably) Hughes back in the pen where he was lights out most of the year. They also added another Lefty to the pen with Logan and kept pace with, "Those that shall remain Nameless", in the Arms race.

Just a tid bit on Lackey as you all may recall he is a bit of a dick as a team mate. He's been known to show up his mates in the field for a bad play. Not exactly the type of guy the Yanks want. Good thing he's in Beantown.

The Johnson signing and melky departure should lead to a contract for DeRosa that Cashman has been hinting at. He'd be a nice pick-up for LF, at least until 2011 when Cash goes after Crawford!!!!!!

Brice
12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Merry christmas...even to you yankees fans. :P

Merlin1958
01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
A.L. East Winter Scorecard

Well, as P&C's are only 18 days away, I think its time to evaluate the G.M.'s off season moves. To me there are only 2 1/2 teams worth mentioning in the AL East, and you may guess that they include the Yankees. However, every vigilant fan must keep an eye on the competition so the Red Sux are included and surprisingly I think the Orioles may have jumped over the Rays, who did little to better themselves significantly over last year during the winter.

So for your review, thoughts and discussions, oh learned denizens of 162nd St, here are my thoughts on the Hot Stove standings

1. The Yankees Surprise!!!!, lol, but seriously barring injury (and perhaps even in the face of injury) the Bombers are the clear winner in the division. The Vasquez move and Pettite re-signing were HUGE. Not only did it solidify a WS winning staff down to the #4-spot, but it created a veritable donnybrook amongst pitchers for that The #5 spot that can only strengthen the entire staff. Joba, Hughes, Aceves, Mitre and Gaudin will all face off for the #5 spot with the 4 remaining hopefuls going onto strengthen probably the best bullpen in baseball. Given Javier's career from 2005-2009 he should fit in very nicely in that #4 spot and take a lot of wear and tear off the staff. I think he's got the right attitude and is more than ready to redeem himself in the Bronx. Mo is still the Sandman and Joba (or maybe Melaconn) are ready to step up in the future (that's my personal opinion). While Coke will be missed, if Marte can build on his post-season performance and continue to pitch lke he did we have probably upgraded there as well. Overall, with only the uncertainty of the #5 spot hanging over the staff, I have to give them a solid A

Offensively and defensively we have also improved on last year. While losing the power numbers of Damon and Matsui (and they will be missed both on the field and the clubhouse) we manged to upgrade defensively in the outfield with the addition of Granderson & Winn added to Gardner and Swisher. A very nice stewardship for 2010 to get us to 2011 when Cash will be all over Crawford like stink on shit. They will definitely miss Cabrera, but his inconsistency and need for constant motivation means he's got some growing up to do in Atlanta (And I'll be rooting for him to do it, too). If Kevin Long can work his magic on Winn and Curtis we have gotten younger & faster with just enough "pop". As far as the rest of the line-up, that lead the majors in runs last year, we should have no worries other than injury, which is always a concern. However, as evidenced by last year (and I believe improved upon over the winter) the Yanks are better built to withstand the occasionally inevitable injury. Mock batting orders so far:

1. Jeter: Storming towards 3,000 hits!!
2. Johnson: OB%, OB% OB%!!!
3. Texiera: Poised for another barrage of "Tex" msgs!
4. A-Rod: The less stressed version!!
5. Posada: The other Yankee workhorse!!
6. Swisher: The Gnome (check his locker during an interview)
7. Cano: K-Long's product!!
8. Gardner/Winn: Speed Racers
9. Granderson: A class act and a feared hitter

Overall, a line-up that's gotta have AL Pitchers losing A LOT of sleep over. You've also got a solid and flexible bench with Pena, Cervelli, Gardner (depending on situations) Johnson, Hamilton (I know I'm forgetting someone) and Montero tearing the cover off the ball in Scranton waiting for his chance. While we admittedly have lost a bit in playoff experience, you've also got to get that experience sometime. Overall I grade them and A+

2. Red Sux: Admittedly they made some good moves adding Lackey to an already strong staff and have also made some needed upgrades to their defense in Cameron and Scutaro (Scoot is a tough out, too). Time will tell if they are the right ones. If I'm a Boston (sic) fan though, I've gotta be worried about scoring runs. Ortiz can't "Weeze the Juice" anymore and we have already seen how that has hurt him. He's a ? at best and they lost Bay. Youkalis is solid but Beltre is another ? although a solid fielder. Cameron the same although, definitely a defensive upgrade over Bay. They still have a semi-dilemma at catcher/DH as Martinez & Varitez are not what they used to be (maybe Vic was weezing the juice too) In any case they have a lot to prove offensively and overall I believe fell behind the Yanks in that category. I may be missing a few items here as I don't pay as close attention to the Sux as the Yanks (Who Does???) but I give them a: B

Pitching-wise, there's no doubt they are tough. Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Dice-K and Bucholz is a damn fine staring rotation. Their bullpen however is no match to the Yanks IMO. And they keep fucking with Papelbon!!! Good for NY, Bad for Bos. The same formula still applies for the Yanks to beat Boston. Get to the Pen!!!! Dice-K may also be a ? as he seems to be getting that injury bug. Nevertheless you got to rate their staff as an A+ for starting Rotation and B for Bullpen so an A overall?

Anyway this post has gotten outta hand so I'm gonna wrap it up predicting that the younger Orioles may leap frog the Jays for 3RD place. All you Yankee fans out there lets hear some thoughts!!!!

18 Days til Pitchers & Catchers Report!!!!

Merlin1958
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Well Hughes is the Fifth starter for better or worse. I personally would have gone with Phil & Joba in the pen and let Aceves have his chance, but we shall see.........

April 4, 2010: The dance begins Again!!!!!!

:cool::rock::rock::cool:

Merlin1958
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
1 Day Remaining until:

Opening Day 2010!!!
:onfire::onfire::onfire::onfire::onfire:

CRinVA
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
A good start to the season with a series victory in Boston! It appears the Granderson signing was well worth it! And Mo - well the Sandman sis till doing what he does better than all the other closers - two attempts = two saves!

So now A-Rod, Teixeira and Johnson need to get their bats in order! Jeter, Cano, Posada, Swisher, Granderson and Gardner all seem to be up to speed already!

Merlin1958
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
YEAH BABY!!!!! 2 of 3 off the Sux!!! Life is good!!! Andy looked liked he was taking his next start in the rotation after the Series!! Jeter (249 til 3,000), Cano and Curtis looking good!! great day to be a Yankee fan!! and we're off!!

Wait'll Tex and A-Rod get in the groove!!!!!!!!

CRinVA
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
2 of 3 in Tampa! A nice road trip to start the season! Now on to the Bronx!

Wonderibng if Hideki Matsui will come out of the Angels dugout and line up with the Yankess to receive his 2009 WS Ring! Girardin saysa it's OK and would be kind of cool in fact!

I'm fine with it - then home Petitte shuts him down for the game! :-)

Merlin1958
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
4 of 6 on the road from our top division rivals works for me too CR!!

Nice to see Burnett get it together also.

During the game when they hawked the home opener, Kay said Hidecki would be getting his ring then as well. Damon's will be in the mail!! As I assume will Melky's as well.

Merlin1958
04-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Well CR and all you Yankee fans hiding out there, not a bad start to the season especially if we can manage to sweep the Rangers Today!!

Got our first A-Rod blast, but still waiting for the first "Tex-Message" of the year!! Also, be sure to look how well the Boston line-up is working out!!

Merlin1958
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Ok so we're 19-8 and 1 game outta first. All that with very litttle A-Rod, Tex and Johnson (not to mention Granderson and the DL). The bullpen worries me a bit but Aceves and Chamberlain seem to be finding a groove after rocky starts.

RED SUX this weekend and I hope my little league team's recent blow out of the Red Sox by a 14-5 score portends good things for the Yanks!! LOL (We play em again Saturday)

Pitching, Pitching and more Pitching wins World Series, and C.C., A.J. Andy and Hughes seem to be in form!!! Now if we can just figure out Vazquez' problem we'll be gold!!

Merlin1958
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Pie in Da Bronx Last Night!!!!

Papelbon takes it in the ??????????

God I hate Boston!!!!

Great Walk-off win!!!

Merlin1958
07-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Rest In Peace

George Michael Steinbrenner III

7/4/30 - 7/13/10

"Greatest Owner a Fan Ever Had"

CRinVA
07-14-2010, 05:27 AM
ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brice
07-14-2010, 05:33 AM
RIP Mr. Steinbrenner!

Merlin1958
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Brice, I know that hurt on some level. George will definitely be missed, by ALL!!

Brice
07-24-2010, 03:31 AM
The man did some great things for his team. So I'm not a yankees fan, but I have no ill will towards anyone personally. To me the whole rivalry thing is just in fun. I really am sorry to see him gone.

Merlin1958
07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
The man did some great things for his team. So I'm not a yankees fan, but I have no ill will towards anyone personally. To me the whole rivalry thing is just in fun. I really am sorry to see him gone.

No I know, Brice. I meant it as a sort of Tongue in cheek jibe. I also hold no real ill will to the Sox although, I really do still hate Pedro!!! LOL

By the way have you seen this pic from my wall?

http://a.imageshack.us/img201/1492/tolkien016.jpg

Or this one?

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7967/yankees001.jpg

LOL :nana:

All in good fun!!!!!

Brice
07-25-2010, 03:56 PM

No I know, Brice. I meant it as a sort of Tongue in cheek jibe. I also hold no real ill will to the Sox although, I really do still hate Pedro!!! LOL

By the way have you seen this pic from my wall?

http://a.imageshack.us/img201/1492/tolkien016.jpg

Or this one?

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7967/yankees001.jpg

LOL :nana:

All in good fun!!!!!

I just saw the first in your collection thread today. They are very VERY nice.

Merlin1958
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
For posterity' sake:

http://a.imageshack.us/img717/2820/arod600003.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img717/7350/arod600004.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img717/7782/arod600005.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img717/7403/arod600006.jpg

And so is history now written!!!!!

BTW 5-1 Yanks!!!!

Merlin1958
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I hate to say this, but c'mon guys!!!! Yanks in first, Jeter going on to 3,000, Hughes and Sabathia lights out and another WS in our sites............C'mon lets make some noise!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets Go Yan-kees, Bump, bump bumpa-bump!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
08-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Recent News:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100824&content_id=13852426&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

:clap:

CRinVA
08-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Last night in Toronto was awesome! Glad to see Teixeira, Granderson, Thames and Posada stepping up so well. It was nice to see Jeter join in on the homerun barrage too!

Merlin what are your thoughts on Ivan Nova? I like him - he had poise for a first time MLB start! When bautista statred for the mound with his bat in hand I thought this could get real ugly real fast. I'm glad it didn't. And one last thought - since when does it take anyone 28 seconds to round the bases! That was just rubbing it in your face and unsportsmanlike!

Let's hope Hughes has his game on tonight so the Yankees can take the toronto series and move on to the White Sox!

Merlin1958
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Last night in Toronto was awesome! Glad to see Teixeira, Granderson, Thames and Posada stepping up so well. It was nice to see Jeter join in on the homerun barrage too!

Merlin what are your thoughts on Ivan Nova? I like him - he had poise for a first time MLB start! When bautista statred for the mound with his bat in hand I thought this could get real ugly real fast. I'm glad it didn't. And one last thought - since when does it take anyone 28 seconds to round the bases! That was just rubbing it in your face and unsportsmanlike!

Let's hope Hughes has his game on tonight so the Yankees can take the toronto series and move on to the White Sox!

Yeah, I agree. So far the kid has shown he has the "stuff" and how about that Mosesly (?) kid coming outta nowhere and giving quality starts?

I think Hughes may be running outta gas. Last I checked he was around 140-150 innings and they want to cap him at 170, which may have been overly optomistic. They need Andy back especially since A.J. is a nut-bag!! LOL :wtf:

Merlin1958
09-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Ok The way I figure it, it's gonna take 102-104 wins to get the division. The Yanks are now 85-50, which means with 27 games remaining they need to go 17-10 or 19-8 to win the division. Boston should be looking to next year and Tampa is all that's on the radar.

The way they are going, plus getting A-Rod and Swish back, that should be no problem. Especially if Jeet and Cano can figure it out again. With Andy coming back soon and the pitching going so well (Thank God for Nova and Mosely) we're in pretty good shape. The pen seems to be settled as well with Robertson and Wood looking good and Chamberlain not being such a crap-shoot lately.

I like our chances for a Repeat Perfomance. Anyone else?

:excited::clap::excited:

Merlin1958
10-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh Woah, all you would be Yankee fans!!! Can't we make some noise for the Bombers? Up 2-1 with a 1-0 series lead on the Twins!!! Pettite is pitching, he of Yankee Post-Season lore.............

C'mon you guys, its OCTOBER!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Break out Da Brooms, folks!!!!!!

ALCS Here we come!!!!!!!!!!

The Chase for 28 WILL continue!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Huge Win, snatched from the jaws of Defeat!!!

Bombers draw first blood in ALCS!!!!!!

:rock::rock:

jhanic
10-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Somehow, I just KNEW you'd be posting! Congratulations!

John

Merlin1958
10-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Somehow, I just KNEW you'd be posting! Congratulations!

John

:wtf::thumbsup:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-16-2010, 05:03 PM
WooHoo!!!! Go Rangers!!!!!!!

Still Servant
10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Can't expect them to come back from 5 again. That was a must win for the Rangers.

Merlin1958
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
You're 1-10 vs the Yanks in the post-season you may want to temper that enthusiasm a bit there, chief.

0-All of them, in WS titles too.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Why would I want to temper my enthusiasm? We swept you guys in our last series.

Lowest paid team beat the highest paid team. I guess money can't buy EVERYTHING.

Moreover, I'm not impressed by stats. I live in the moment. We should be up two games right now if our bullpin hadn't sucked last night.

Oh....and you still have to face Cliff Lee.

Merlin1958
10-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Why would I want to temper my enthusiasm? We swept you guys in our last series.

Lowest paid team beat the highest paid team. I guess money can't buy EVERYTHING.

Moreover, I'm not impressed by stats. I live in the moment. We should be up two games right now if our bullpin hadn't sucked last night.

Oh....and you still have to face Cliff Lee.

And you son, have to face Pettite. Your sweep was LAST season. This is the POST-season. Be damn sure you're guys are about to learn about stats when they take their 0, for all of them record into baseball's cathedral.

BTW, the bull-pen is the key, which it was for your guys tonite, my friend. Also, go start a Rangers thread, this one is for winner's!!!! lol

Oh and, in a moment, it can all be gone!!!!

Lee's due for a bad one and if he has to give it to the Pen???? Texas has a very good young club (that will be broken up a lot next year) and a great owner at the helm in Ryan (a Met), but they got some growing to do yet, I think. We'll see.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow, typical Yankee's fan. It's not enough to win, you have to belittle everyone else. Everyone knows the Yankees are good...have been for a century. But man, get you guys a little rattled with a loss, and its "Son this" and "Chief that". The Rangers have sucked since their inception. For the first time they are looking good, and I can't support them.

Well, I don't need your permission to cheer for my team, you arrogant ass. If you'll notice, I made a good comment about my team and said nothing of yours. But in typical Yankee/Patriots/Lakers whatever fashion, you can't be happy without making fun of your opponents.

CRinVA
10-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Gee let me see - what team in baseball gets poked on the most - The Yankees for sure! You can expect the Yankees Suck chant at EVERY away game. I have been to enough games where the Yankees are NOT playing and I never hear "_____ Suck" from a home team chanting against an away team and I have been at Camden Yards, RFK Stadium, Nationals Park and Royal stadium for many games that do not involve the Yankees.

I love it when the crowd chants Yankees Suck as it just means they are afraid of what they might end up with - a loss, a Yankee come from behind victory, .... more often than not!

Yes, the Yankees have the biggest payroll in MLB, but they also bring in the most money - most of the time at away games the attendance at the oposing team's stadium is sold out, due to the Yankee fans in the stands. At non-Yankee games there are plenty fo available seats. Just look at a the TB Rays attendance records! You'll see!

The Yankees also have many stars that are not the big ticket players as well. The core four came up through the Yankee farm system and rightfully their salaries have increased due to their skills, but they weren't bought. Cano, Gardner, Pena and Golsom also through the farm system; Gee, Marcus Thames who came back to the Yankees (a low dollar acquisition) is a Yankee Farm System product. Nick Swisher came fairly cheap and look what he has done.

I'll stick with the Yankees - I have been rooting for them since I was about 5 years old when Mantle, Maris, Pepitone, Richardson, Kubek were my heros in the late 50's and early 60's.

I'm with Merlin - Go Yankees! Yep Cliff Lee will probably be at his best; but like any other pitcher he is not perfect! He did lose 9 times this season! Look at Halladay - two no hitters in one season but Lincecum beat him two days ago. No one is infalliable!

I do not "rag" on other teams but have been accosted in public when wearing a Yankee Dugout Jacket; or my Yankee baseball cap. on numerous occassions in all sorts of places! I take it as Yankee Pride! :-)

Root for whomever you want; it's your priveledge. I'm sticking with the Yankee Pinstripes!

Merlin1958
10-18-2010, 05:43 AM
^ What CR said!!!!

Go Bomber's!!!!!!!!!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Woohoo Go Rangers!

Merlin1958
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
While I have been somewhat sceptacle all season with A.J., for some reason I got a good feeling tonight. Maybe because the Yankee bats are due to strike.

Woo Hoo Yanks!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Go Rangers!! Woot Woot.

Merlin1958
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
1 down, 2 to go!!!

GO BOMBER'S!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh well, no #28 this year. Time to change the thread title to "2011". Obviously we need pitching and Lee will be the number 1 target. Gotta go beyond him though and pick up a second pitcher in the off-season as well.

I imagine Andy will be gone and A.J. needs to go into therapy for a while that leaves just Vazquez and Phil after C.C., plus the pen is a mess. Get to work Cashman!!!!

:orely:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Can I be enthusiastic now?

CRinVA
10-23-2010, 11:00 AM
McLovn, you could start a Rangers thread if that floats yer boat!

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Can I be enthusiastic now?

Any chance you can read the title of this thread? Geez!!!

Interesting article here:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101023&content_id=15808944&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

To get the off-season started, CR

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Sorry I missed this thread!

Merlin1958
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry I missed this thread!

We'll be petitioning for "Yankees 2011 edition soon enough!!!

Stay and post away. The Hot Stove starts immediately following the final out of the Series!!!

:panic:

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm an A's fan and my husband is a Dodgers fan, so naturally we dont care for the Yankees. I have to say they took it to my A's every chance they got this year. And I blame the Yankees for making have to root for a division team in the World Series, because i can never, ever root for the Giants even though I was born and raised and still reside in the Bay Area. Just 20 minutes out of SF, but still NEVER

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm an A's fan and my husband is a Dodgers fan, so naturally we dont care for the Yankees. I have to say they took it to my A's every chance they got this year. And I blame the Yankees for making have to root for a division team in the World Series, because i can never, ever root for the Giants even though I was born and raised and still reside in the Bay Area. Just 20 minutes out of SF, but still NEVER

Oh, well this thread may not be your "cup of tea"!!!

Side note: How great is it that SF finally gets back to the Series so soon after parting ways with Bonds!!!!

Nerak
10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
runs through the room screaming GO SOX
runs back out before Merlin comes in.....

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
:wtf: LOL :wtf:

Egads!!!!! A streaker!!!!!!!!!

:wtf:

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
BTW, I think the "Sox" should "Go" too. Just "Go" already!!!! LOL

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
BTW, I think the "Sox" should "Go" too. Just "Go" already!!!! LOL

Where's that like button...

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 05:03 PM
So, Cash meets with Girardi on Monday and things look good. Recent reports say Jeter & Mo are next and that should get us through the Series and onto the Free Agent/Hot Stove shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, how bout them Jets and Giants????? Both in first place!!!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Who got fired?

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Who got fired?

Eiland, the pitching coach. They think its time to "make a change" and I, for one, agree. They need a certified pyschologist for Burnett!!! LOL And also a Coach for the rest!!! LOL

I swear, this year when A.J. was on the mound and they showed a close-up, you could just see the squirrels getting loose in his head!!!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Who got fired?

Eiland, the pitching coach. They think its time to "make a change" and I, for one, agree. They need a certified pyschologist for Burnett!!! LOL And also a Coach for the rest!!! LOL

I swear, this year when A.J. was on the mound and they showed a close-up, you could just see the squirrels getting loose in his head!!!!

hahahahahahahahaha

Merlin1958
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
1st domino to fall:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/10/28/yankees.girardi/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_sports

Merlin1958
10-28-2010, 10:18 AM
This is always fun. Keep 'em or dump 'em:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/keepordump2010/index.html

CRinVA
10-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Keep or Dump -

67% say dump CC -
69% say dump A Rod

- must be Yankee haters voting.

I can see why some want A Rod gone but CC - that would be insanity!

I see that Nick Johnson, Lance Berkman and Kerry Wood have all been released. They are now free agents. Of the three I'd like to see Wood but he gets paid way too much to be Mariano's set up man! I think his 2011 option was $11M. Johnson is a no brainer - when will they learn the man is injury prone!!!! Berkman not really happy with Yankees as he wants to play First Base but as long as Teixeira is there that ain't happening!

I'd like to see Posada become the full time DH and bring up Jesus Montero to catch.
Also interested to see if Brackman pans out as a pitcher. The guy is 6'10" and that alone is domineering on the mound!

They need to fix AJ - he has all the requisite skills and more. Continue to develop Hughes; get Jaba back to what he was like when he first came up. A fireballer set up man! I'd like to see two good lefties in the pen!

And as far as that thread streaker goes, she needs to go back to New Hampshire and cry in her beer over her beloved Red Sox! ;-)

Merlin1958
10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Keep or Dump -

67% say dump CC -
69% say dump A Rod

- must be Yankee haters voting.

I can see why some want A Rod gone but CC - that would be insanity!

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Arod is likely to break the HR record as a Yankee and that'll be gold for the franchise if nothing else. C.C. has been everything and more than we could have asked for.

I see that Nick Johnson, Lance Berkman and Kerry Wood have all been released. They are now free agents. Of the three I'd like to see Wood but he gets paid way too much to be Mariano's set up man! I think his 2011 option was $11M. Johnson is a no brainer - when will they learn the man is injury prone!!!! Berkman not really happy with Yankees as he wants to play First Base but as long as Teixeira is there that ain't happening!

I think the plan was to deny the $11 million option on Wood then go after him as a FA and lower his salary accordingly

I'd like to see Posada become the full time DH and bring up Jesus Montero to catch.

I.m with you, but I think that Montero, unfortunately, is not the replacement for Hip Hip Jorge. They say he is severely lacking defensively and that's why he's trade bait. Shame since he hits the cover off the ball. If and when he gets to the bigs it'll probably be at another position like 1st or the OF, which is tough for the Yanks. I think Romine is the sucessor to Jorge. Hits for more Avg less power than Montero, but is outstanding defensively.

Also interested to see if Brackman pans out as a pitcher. The guy is 6'10" and that alone is domineering on the mound!

Yeah, hopefully he'll get an invite to Spring Training and we can get a look-see

They need to fix AJ - he has all the requisite skills and more.
Get him to the therapist from the Soprano's!!!

Continue to develop Hughes; get Jaba back to what he was like when he first came up. A fireballer set up man! I'd like to see two good lefties in the pen!

Yep!!!

And as far as that thread streaker goes, she needs to go back to New Hampshire and cry in her beer over her beloved Red Sox! ;-)

As far as the last item. I agree!!! Plus put some damn clothes on!!!!!

LOL

Nerak
10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Cause A Rod is a dick :evil:

CRinVA
10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
And tell me that Boston hasn't had its share of Dick! If there was a chance that A-Rod would go to Boston - Boston would be chomping at the bit! manny was a dick - still is - but while in a red sox uniform he was loved for his prowess at the plate!

Amd to keep things positive congrats on Wakefield winning the Clemente Award. He is definitley NOT a dick! :-)

Merlin1958
10-29-2010, 10:33 AM
And tell me that Boston hasn't had its share of Dick! If there was a chance that A-Rod would go to Boston - Boston would be chomping at the bit! manny was a dick - still is - but while in a red sox uniform he was loved for his prowess at the plate!

Amd to keep things positive congrats on Wakefield winning the Clemente Award. He is definitley NOT a dick! :-)

Let us not forget Pedro, the man with no "Daddy" and no class!!!

Merlin1958
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Pretty good "Needs" article:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101030&content_id=15911600&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

I wonder how many MLB teams can say they have "Legacy" players?

Merlin1958
11-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Yanks better stop fucking around with Jeter. Just sign him to a "Lifetime" contract and be done with it already.

Can I get an "A-Men"??????

Merlin1958
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
These guys should just get it done!!!!!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101130&content_id=16227886&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

CRinVA
12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
AMEN!!!!!!

Merlin1958
12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Finally!!!! A glimmer of sanity in the Bronx!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/04/yankees.jeter/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_sports

Merlin1958
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Well Thank God that got done!!!!!!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101203&content_id=16250388&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

Think he can pass the physical? LOL

Now we can focus on Mr. Lee. Goddamn Sox got Gonzalez, but with C.C., Lee, Hughes, Pettite & Mo we should be in good shape!!!

Merlin1958
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Check This out:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101205&content_id=16258248&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Ha Ha!!!! The curse is re-invented!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Merlin1958
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
The Jeter & Rivera deals were both fair and smart. The Yanks over-paid, but what value can you put on the first All-Time Yankee reaching 3,000 hits? Both are guaranteed first ballot HOF'ers and will net the organization millions in the long run. It was smart business if, maybe not smart baseball. In the end, they may have to carry Jeet for a year or so, but he means too much to the organization to screw around. George would be proud, I think.

Merlin1958
12-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, Cliff Lee has now ruined the 2010 Holiday Season!!!!

Now What? We're in serious need here to do something BIG. Sign Manny maybe?

CRinVA
12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
No Manny please - NEVER! Some players I just can't stomach!

The Yankees did just sign Free Agent Catcher Russel Martin - I think that is a good move! He has some power and I'd much rather see him and Montero compete for the secondary Catcher position. Posada is not long for Catching and moving to full time DH. I would guess that Cervelli is on the way out or at Spring training will not earn a position on the roster.

Now all the more reason for the Yankees to convince Pettitte to pitch one more season. I just don't see Ivan Nova as the 5th starter - he is not ready! Not sure who else it woudl be though - and if Pettitte does not come back then the Yankees are really donw two pitchers. I am confident in CC, Hughes and (yes) even AJ Burnette.

the two best Pitcher Free Agents are Greinke and Pavano - I'd vvote no on either one. Unless pavanao of course would ptich for free to make up for the debacle that was his $40M contract last time around. And Greinke has proven that maybe the limelight of pitchibng in New York is too much for him!

Phillies will definitely have the best roation in baseball. bveen a long time since a rotation like thaqt was put in place. If they all stay healthy it will be a tough team to beat!

Merlin1958
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
CR....I have to admit that for the first time in a looonnngggg time I'm a little worried (not a lot, a little) Combatting Gonzo and Crawford with Lee I was very OK with, but we got some real questions in the Rotation and the Pen. I too am ok with C.C., Burnett and Hughes, but even if Pettite comes back he's gotta be a bit of a ? if for age/health reasons alone. I sure don't want that guy from the Royals, but we need to do something. Manny is a NY guy at heart and no Pedro so, while I don't love it it would be OK with me just as a FU to the Sox.

Seriously though, Cash needs to do some wheeling and dealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sure he will!!!)

Yes Martin was a nice pick-up!!!!

CRinVA
12-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Mark Prior signed to minor league contract with invitation to Spring Training. I wonder what kind of pitcher he is now or is capable of being????

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
He could be a diamond in the rough. He was injured and hasn't pitched for a while, but is trying to make a comeback. The Yanks are looking to add him to the Pen. I believe he had surgery and has been rehabbing, shoulder I think.

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Well they signed Pedro Feliciano for the 2nd Bullpen Lefty. Great stats for the kid. A nice add.

Shhhh, but I hear whispers of a possible deal for King Felix for Gardner/Montero

Merlin1958
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
OK I got like the coolest Xmas gift. A Yankee toaster!!!!! It puts the "NY" on the toast!!!!!!! How cool is that? My daughter is the best!!!!!

LOL

Now if we could just get some pitching!!!!! They're looking at KC's closer as Mo's set-up guy and future replacement. Smart move!!!!

CRinVA
01-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Rafael Soriano to be the set up guy and most likely heir apparent to "The Sandman!"

Now if we can only get good pitching in innings 1 - 7!!!! Consistently!!!!!!!!!!!1

Merlin1958
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Rafael Soriano to be the set up guy and most likely heir apparent to "The Sandman!"

Now if we can only get good pitching in innings 1 - 7!!!! Consistently!!!!!!!!!!!1

True, but it was a good pick-up nevertheless. Mo has got to get old sooner or later. They'll get someone during the season and Pettite may pull a Clemens and come back mid year.

Merlin1958
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, Soriano is now official, meaning if Joba and Robertson can get their collective acts together, Yankee back end starters need only go 5-6 innings!!!!!!!!

CRinVA
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Personally I think the yankee bull pen is looking might fine.

Merlin1958
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Personally I think the yankee bull pen is looking might fine.

It sure is!!!!! Like I said takes a ton of weight off the starters too.

Andruw Jones is now in the fold!!! I liked Thames, but I guess its smart to have a quality veteran fielder as well. That Gholston has an arm though!!!

Merlin1958
01-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Interesting article regarding the Boss and some awards:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110123&content_id=16486142&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

CRinVA
01-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Nice to see that bernie Williams provided teh entertainment. He is one of my all time fave Yankees! Thinking about that I am listing my 10 all time faves. My criteria is that I must have seen them play (on TV counts; but not old news reels of some of the greats before my time.)

1. Mickey Mantle
2. Derek Jeter
3. Mariano Rivera
4. Bernie Williams
5. Roger Maris
6. Paul O'Neil
7. Mike Mussina
8. Tony Kubek
9. Reggie Jackson
10. Robinson Cano

Honorable Mentino - Alfonso Soriano!

Merlin1958
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Nice to see that bernie Williams provided teh entertainment. He is one of my all time fave Yankees! Thinking about that I am listing my 10 all time faves. My criteria is that I must have seen them play (on TV counts; but not old news reels of some of the greats before my time.)

1. Mickey Mantle
2. Derek Jeter
3. Mariano Rivera
4. Bernie Williams
5. Roger Maris
6. Paul O'Neil
7. Mike Mussina
8. Tony Kubek
9. Reggie Jackson
10. Robinson Cano

Honorable Mentino - Alfonso Soriano!

That's great list. I'd probably swap Maris and Kubek for Mattingly and Berra (Saw hin manage and played golf with him at a charity event) Maybe should go to 11, A-Rod should be in there somewhere no? Plus you're missing The Goose and the Gator!!!! LOL

CRinVA
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
oops forgot about Mattingly! Sorry Tony K you gotta go! I really like A-Rod - just not ready to put him up on the list! And I gotta Honorable Mention Jorge too!

Merlin1958
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
OK, we're desperate. The Yanks just announced inking Bartolo Colon to a contract and hoping he can help with the starting rotation!!! I guess could be good, could be bad. Only the Spring will tell!!!!!!!!

CRinVA
01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
No harm done as ots a minor league contract with ionvitation to spring training. no real investment and maybe a diamond in the rough. he was pretty dam good at one time. sounds like similar deal they give to Mark Prior.

Merlin1958
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Well Bonderman is till available, but yeah Colon was a "take a shot" pick-up just like Prior

Merlin1958
01-28-2011, 07:25 AM
I was happy to see this:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110128&content_id=16522836&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

Cash is a great asset to the organization. Nice the way Hal got out in front of this as "drummed up drama". Something George in his hay day tended to leave hanging out there. I sure hope they sign Cash to a new contract at the end of the year!!!!

CRinVA
02-04-2011, 06:26 AM
So Andy Pettitte is retiring! I hate to see him go but Good for him! He earned it and I am sure he will enjoy all the Family Time. I'd like to see him come back to baseball in sthe future in some capacity whether it be a pitching coach or a sportscaster for YES or ESPN for that matter. He is a class act.

So he retires way short of a Magic 300 wins (near automatic inclusion into the HOF) but in my honest opinion he belongs in the Hall. He has a couple of 20+ game seasons and he is one of a short list of all time ptichers who ended their career with more than 100 wins over their losses (240 - 138) and he holds many post season records to include the most ever Post Season Wins! And in the 2009 WS he got all three wins in the deciding series; the Division Series, the American League Series and the World Series!

And to think he was a 22nd round pick! Just goes to show you!!!!!!!!!!1

Merlin1958
02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I think he has a decent shot at the Hall. Certainly lesser pitchers have made it in.

Merlin1958
02-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Hmmmmm Yanks are rumored to be acquiring Chavez and Belliard. Guess that leaves the youngsters out. Maybe as chips for a trade????????

CRinVA
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
waiting. tap...tap...tap...

Merlin1958
02-15-2011, 07:02 AM
waiting. tap...tap...tap...

Ok you're fine, but the board reccomends you get a "Boston Sucks" T-shirt if you don't already have one!!!

LOL :wtf:

CRinVA
02-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Ok thanks - I was afraid you wanted me to get a Boston Sucks tattoo across my brow! I have a friend that lives in Boston (he is not a baseball fan at all) and I could never visit if I had the tat - I may be tough but 1 against thousands and I'd get my ass beat and then I wouldn't be able to attend any Yankee thrashings against the Red Sux! :-)

Does it bother you that CC has waffled on his "opt out" clause for 2012, whereas last year he said no way Jose to that - that he was in it for the long haul! I rad that Cashman actually had that clause added, CC had not requested it, as he did not want to chance losing CC to perhaps the Angels back when Cashman was pursuing him!

Season Opener/Yankee Stadium Opener v. Detroit in 44 days! It'll be here in no time!

Merlin1958
03-14-2011, 05:47 PM
We're not looking as bad as I initially thought. The "Kids" look good and we have some "vets" to back us up. I say let the season begin!!!!!! We'll get help down the road if we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
03-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Getting close now. I swear I can smell Fresh Grass and Chalk!!!!!!!

CRinVA
03-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Tonight's grapefruit league game is having the potential Yankees opening day starting lineup! I will be watching on mlb.tv!

Merlin1958
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Tonight's grapefruit league game is having the potential Yankees opening day starting lineup! I will be watching on mlb.tv!

I have it on Tivo list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Starters looked pretty Damn good today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Merlin1958
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Opening Day is virtually upon us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get out your peanuts and cracker jack!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, here we go guys!!!!!!!

Yanks won the opener 6-3 over the Tigers. Big knocks by Tex & Grandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRinVA
04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
yes a great start and a good omen for the season. I was especially glad to see Teixeira start out so strong and love the 7th, 8th and 9th inning pitchers!
a bit dismayed at Cano's performance - he just didnt look settled in - but I am sure he will be shortly!

My fantasy team has CC, Teixeira, Cano, Swisher, Jaba, AJ Burnett & Ivan Nova!
My son is in the same fantasy league and he has Hughes, Jeter, A-Rod, &Granderson.

We had a great start yesterday in fantasy baseball as well!

Iwritecode
04-01-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm not really rooting for the Yankees to win this series. I'm rooting for the Tigers to lose. :P

CRinVA
04-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Still works for me! :-)

Merlin1958
04-01-2011, 08:36 AM
yes a great start and a good omen for the season. I was especially glad to see Teixeira start out so strong and love the 7th, 8th and 9th inning pitchers!
a bit dismayed at Cano's performance - he just didnt look settled in - but I am sure he will be shortly!

My fantasy team has CC, Teixeira, Cano, Swisher, Jaba, AJ Burnett & Ivan Nova!
My son is in the same fantasy league and he has Hughes, Jeter, A-Rod, &Granderson.

We had a great start yesterday in fantasy baseball as well!

I have quite a few of them on my fantasy team as well. You can't go too wrong drafting Yanks!!! LOL

Now comes the big question, will we get Good A.J., Bad A.J. or A.J with squirrels chasing each other around in his head?

LOL

He did look pretty good in Spring training (fingers-crossed)

Merlin1958
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Cool!!!! 2 of 3 from the Tigers and lots of runs!!!!!!! Plus, A.J. won!!!!!!

Boston Got Swept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana:

CRinVA
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I have Ivan nova on my fantaswy team- people thoguth I was crazy but I am pretty happy with him right now. My son has Hughes and he did not do well out of hte gate!

You know what's really interestibng right now - baltimore is 4 - 0 while boston and TB are 0 - 3! And Crawford not doing so well so far in Bostonia - me thinks the pundits got it all wrong!

Iwritecode
04-05-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm not really rooting for the Yankees to win this series. I'm rooting for the Tigers to lose. :P

They are playing against another ALC team. I feel so dirty...

Merlin1958
04-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Hip, Hip Jorge!!!!!!!

He seems to be setteling into his new role rather nicely!!!