PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Totem Pole

Whidden
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Totem Pole I saw today in North Eastern Oklahoma. Not sure how tall it is, but the first picture shows the door below the 1948, which is a standard door, so it's tall.

I was thinking it reminded me of the Dark Tower, but pretty much any tower shaped object I see reminds me of the Dark Tower. Shocked me though to see they put the totem/tower on top of a turtle.

Which of course is standard IT/Dark Tower mythology. Checked it on the internet when I got home, and the Earth being on the back of a turtle is part of some Native American creation lore.

I was mixed up all these years, I thought the Turtle stuff had come from Hindu creation.

I snapped a few pics of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Whidden/Picture190.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Whidden/Picture188.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Whidden/Picture189.jpg

inertia1215
02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
wow, thanks for sharing your pics. That thing is beautiful, and HUGE!

the turtle is sweet!

Whidden
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
He does look like a happy turtle!

Darkthoughts
02-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Moved to the art wall ;) :thumbsup:

Daghain
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
That's pretty cool!

Whidden
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Made a trip up to Woolaroc again this weekend, which is a Bison preserve/Cowboy/Native American museum.

Everytime I see these two statues, I think of Roland.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Whidden/r1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Whidden/r2.jpg

Jon
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Was Roland the horse in the first one? :wtf:

Thanks for the pics. The wall behind the last statue is cool!

LadyHitchhiker
02-24-2009, 05:08 AM
This is too cool... all the statues and totems...

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Checked it on the internet when I got home, and the Earth being on the back of a turtle is part of some Native American creation lore.

I was mixed up all these years, I thought the Turtle stuff had come from Hindu creation.

You weren't mixed up. Images of the turtle holding up the world are part of many different mythologies including several Native American systems as well as the Hindu story of Akupara the tortoise upon whose shell rests the world. Turtles play important roles in the mythology of many cultures.

Thanks for posting those pics. They're very cool!

turtlex
02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Jayson is right on the money there, regarding the Native American belief about the turtle. There are a lot of turtle themed monuments, totems, parks, etc all through the Western US ( Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana, etc ).

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:20 AM
It comes up in a lot of places. Aside from the Native American and Hindu stories, there is a story in Chinese mythology of the goddess Nu Gua who cuts off the legs of a sea turtle in order to use them to prop up the sky (creating an image of the world as a giant turtle). The turtle is also one of the Chinese "Four Fabulous Animals" along with the unicorn, phoenix, and dragon. They are similar to the Guardians of the Beams. Turtles play prominently in some Japanese myths as well.

I love when my education actually comes in handy. :)

Whidden
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I find common threads in religion like that interesting. Makes you wonder who the first guy (or gal) who came up with it was, how the idea of it spread to others, how it made it's way to cultures all over the world.

turtlex
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I find common threads in religion like that interesting. Makes you wonder who the first guy (or gal) who came up with it was, how the idea of it spread to others, how it made it's way to cultures all over the world.

I'm pretty sure it was the internet.

:wtf:

jayson
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM

me too. it's what i studied in college. i miss that, not that i've stopped, just don't get graded on it anymore.

mia/susannah
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the pics. They are really cool. The statues remind me of Roland as well

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Jayson : A+ Well Done

Whidden : A+ Bravo.

You've both now been graded. Thank you.

Whidden
02-26-2009, 02:12 PM
A plus, woo hoo!!! :nana:

merlsmom
02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Turtles figure in many of my dreams at night - sometimes prominently and sometimes just as a fleeting image in the background. Wonder what that means. Any dream interpreters here?

Whidden
02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Turtle

To see turtles in ones dream implies an unusual incident that might cause enjoyment is likely soon. Your business conditions may also improve.

I found that on a dream website. Sounds like it's good times ahead.

merlsmom
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Turtle

To see turtles in ones dream implies an unusual incident that might cause enjoyment is likely soon. Your business conditions may also improve.

I found that on a dream website. Sounds like it's good times ahead.

Thanks Whidden - that sounds promising! :)