PDA

View Full Version : VERSUS !! Comic Character Battles !!

turtlex
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Let’s Get Ready To Rumble !!!!!!!!!!

The Comic Tower is proud to present ... VERSUS !!! COMIC CHARACTER BATTLES FOR THE AGES !!

We’re taking this forum into the comic universe battlefield with a new series of polls/threads dedicated to comic character “battles”.

We'll be starting threads featuring two comic characters and it will be up to our members to decide who would WIN the battle in a head to head fight !

Each thread will remain open for approximately 2 weeks. At the close of each battle, a WINNER will be declared, the thread closed and we’ll move onto a new battle, featuring two new comic characters. Eventually, we’ll have the winners battling each other, in an ultimate showdown.

Expect to be challenged! We want to know why you think your pick will win! Defend your favorites as they would defend you! Stand up and be counted!

This VERSUS post will be updated with the winners.

As you know - it’s a huge Comic Universe out there so of course - we want your input – please feel free to use this thread as a recommendation area for battles.

Would you like to see your favorite character battle for supremacy?!? Post your ideas!

And now the information you’ve been waiting for….

Our first VERSUS BATTLE will be a big one - WOLVERINE Vs. BATMAN

Look for the thread soon! In the mean time - post your ideas!

VERSUS BATTLE #1: WOLVERINE Vs. BATMAN - Winner : Wolverine
( stats: Batman had 13 votes, for 38.24%. Wolverine had 21 votes, for 61.76% )

VERSUS BATTLE #2: SUPERMAN Vs. CAPTAIN AMERICA - Winner : Superman
( stats: Captain America had 6 votes, for 19.35%. Superman had 25 votes, for 80.65% )

VERSUS BATTLE #3: GREEN ARROW Vs. SPIDER-MAN - Winner : Spider-Man
( stats: Green Arrow had 5 votes, for 22.73%. Spider-Man had 17 votes, for 77.27% )

VERSUS BATTLE #4: THE FLASH Vs. IRON MAN - Winner : The Flash
( stats: The Flash had 13 votes, for 59.09%. Iron Man had 9 votes, for 40.91% )

VERSUS BATTLE #5: ROGUE Vs. WONDER WOMAN - Winner : Rogue
( stats: Rogue had 18 votes, for 69.23%. Wonder Woman had 8 votes, for 30.77% )

VERSUS BATTLE #6: J. JONAH JAMESON Vs. PERRY WHITE - Winner : J. Jonah Jameson
( stats: J.Jonah Jameson had 22 votes, for 75.86%. Perry White had 7 votes, for 24.14% )

VERSUS BATTLE #7: GAMBIT Vs. The JOKER - Winner : Draw / Tie
( stats: Gambit has 16 votes, for 50.00%. The Joker had 16 votes, for 50.00% - Our First Draw/Tie )

PROPOSED BATTLES :
Hal Jordan Vs. Kyle Raynor (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Sentry Vs. Superman (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Ironman Vs. Flash (proposed by flaggwalkstheline) - Battle Completed.
Spiderman Vs. The Joker (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Norman Osborne Vs. Batman (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Ben Reilly Vs. Superboy (Clone Superboy from Death of Superman) (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Elektra Vs. Batman (proposed by Brainslinger)
Nikolai Dante from 2000 AD Vs, Wolverine (proposed by Brainslinger)
Iron Man Vs. Hulk (proposed by razz)
J. Jonah Jameson Vs. Perry White (proposed by Seymour_Glass) - Battle Completed.
Sinestro Vs. Thanos (proposed by Seymour_Glass)
Slade Vs. Punisher (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Punisher Vs. Beard Hunter from Doom Patrol (proposed by Seymour_Glass)
Punisher Vs. The Sandman (proposed by Aaron)
Superman Vs. Dr. Manhattan (proposed by Aaron)
Superboy Prime Vs. Holocaust (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Morpheus Vs. Frau Totenkinder (proposed by feverishparade)
God from Preacher Vs. Superman (proposed by Seymour_Glass)
Spiderman Vs. Batman (proposed by Cozener)
Women of DC Universe Vs. Women of Marvel Universe (proposed by EdwardDean1999)
Kaine Vs. Azrael (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Spiderman Vs. Gambit (proposed by feverishparade)
Spiderman Vs. Nightcrawler (proposed by feverishparade)
Spiderman Vs. Spawn (proposed by Matt)
Green Arrow Vs. Hawkeye (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Spiderman Vs. Aquaman (proposed by RUBE)
Aquaman Vs. Namor: The Submariner (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Ironman Vs. Spawn (proposed by EdwardDean1999)
Superboy Prime Vs. Sentry (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)
Deathstroke Vs. Bullseye (proposed by Sam)
Ben Reilly Vs. Azrael (proposed by flaggwalkstheline)

flaggwalkstheline
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Batman would kick wolverines ass, no doubt. I mean yeah hes a normal human but hes taken on superman without kryptonite before, he'd outsmart him and bring him down, healing factor and claws or not

ideas for fights i think would be cool
Hal jordan versus kyle raynor
Sentry versus superman
Ironman versus Flash
Spiderman versus joker
Norman Osborne versus Batman (best fight ever)
Ben Reilly versus superboy (the clone one from the death of superman, cause theyre both clones n thatd be cool)

Odetta
01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
me 2 faves!

Matt
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Batman would kick wolverines ass, no doubt. I mean yeah hes a normal human but hes taken on superman without kryptonite before, he'd outsmart him and bring him down, healing factor and claws or notThat is flat crazy talk. Batman had to prepare for months to even get a shot at taking down Supes.

Wolverine would cut him to ribbons. EOS

turtlex
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
: rubs hands together :

This is gonna be fun !

Odetta
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Batman's suit is pretty indestructable tho, isn't it?

fernandito
01-30-2009, 10:14 PM
What about battles with graphic novel characters? Are those eligible? :D

Rjeso
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM
First off, it's Batman.

But then again, it's Wolverine.

I guess I'd have to favor Wolverine in this one, just because of the healing factor. Batman is so totally badass, though. Tough call.

turtlex
01-31-2009, 02:55 AM
Feev - "nominate" whomever you want. We'll put it on the list!!! Right now, we're kind of focusing on the major universes ( Marvel V. DC ) but everything is open!

Brainslinger
01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Wolverine is stronger and has the healing factor, claws and adamantium skeleton (does he still have that by the way? I remember reading that it was removed a while back.) and heightened senses.

Batman is highly intelligent and that goes a long way. He also has expert fighting skills and agility and he uses the shadows to his advantage becoming invisible even when he actually isn't. (Wolverine's nose might suss him out if the wind is blowing the right way though.)

I'd say Batman could beat Wolverine his brain, tactics and stealth being being the deciding factor. It's not the first time a normal (if you count dressing up in costumes as normal) human has beaten Wolverine either. I read a comic where he confronts Elektra last year, and Elektra pretty much owned him. The non powered comic version, not the prescient version from the film of that name.

Brainslinger
01-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Actually, that's an idea. Elektra vs Batman. Dark knight vs ninja chick assassin.

Nikolai Dante from 2000 AD vs Wolverine.
Most of you probably aren't familiar with Dante, but I can fill you in if the fight crops up. For now I'll say he has a healing factor too and cyborganic swords that come out of his hands.

turtlex
01-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Battle #1 is up and open : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7135

razz
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
i nominate for discussion:

Iron Man vs Hulk

fernandito
01-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Hulk would DESTROY Iron Man.

razz
01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
I respectfully disagree

flaggwalkstheline
01-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Ironman and hulk have fought multiple times, most notably when Ironman took him out in one puch and trapped himself in the suit due to an electric short and most recently during world war hulk where hulk (barely) KOd tony

turtlex
01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
razz - I will add that to the list!

Seymour_Glass
02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
J. Jonah Jameson vs. Perry White.
Sinestro vs Thanos.
The Punisher vs the world.

flaggwalkstheline
02-01-2009, 05:37 PM
punisher vrs the world has been done, its a what if one shot called "punisher kills the marvel universe" loads of fun:P

turtlex
02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Gosh - I love the Perry White v Jameson! That's very funny. I forsee a slap-fight!

Give me a name Versus the Punisher, though.

flaggwalkstheline
02-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Slade Versus Punisher!!!!!!!

Seymour_Glass
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Punisher vs. Beard Hunter (from Doom Patrol)

Aaron
02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
The Punisher vs. The Sandman (i.e. Dream/Morpheus)

Let's see you fuck with the Endless, Frank Castle. :P

I would also love to see Superman vs. Dr. Manhattan. Though I'm pretty sure Supes would have a tough time of it. I only pick him because I cant think of anyone else that might even have a tiny speck of a chance against god-like powers.

flaggwalkstheline
02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Superboy Prime Versus Holocaust

fernandito
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Morpheus vs Frau Totenkinder

:)

turtlex
02-02-2009, 03:39 AM
All suggestions have been added to the first posting!

Seymour_Glass
02-07-2009, 08:31 AM
God from Preacher vs Superman

cozener
02-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Spiderman Vs. The Joker? Spidey has already kicked the Joker's ass in one of the DC/Marvel crossovers. Not that this should be surprising. While the Joker is surprisingly strong and agile and very intelligent he's not in the same league with Spidey (or Batman) when it comes down to hand to hand combat. There are other DC villains that would make more of a match for the webslinger I think.

And, incidentally, Batman kicked Carnage's ass in the same comic book...however I should add that Carnage could easily have killed Batsy...even had him at his mercy during the course of this story but because he couldn't shut up he missed his chance. But now that Batman has encountered him, lost to him, then defeated him I think he's got Carnage's combination.

Anyway, I'm just saying that there isn't much point in a debate thats already been decided by DC and Marvel.

Now...Spidey vs Batman? There's a battle.

Matt
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Spidey can bench press about 8 tons. :D

Aaron
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, it appears that the Wolverine vs Batman debate has winded down a bit, so we should probably move on to the next battle. What's up next, Pam?

turtlex
02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry for the delay, I've been off dealing with family issues..... I'm thinking about another big match-up. I'll probably stick with a Marvel Vs DC Universe for the next big fight, just to keep things moving along.

I'm thinking... perhaps... Superman Vs. Captain America maybe?!?

( I will add the most recent suggestions to the first thread )

turtlex
02-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Superman Vs Captain America is now up - Please vote :

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7336

turtlex
02-24-2009, 04:02 AM
A new battle will go up this weekend....

I'm thinking Spidey vs..... ???

Mai
02-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Spidey vs. Batman has there been one of those yet? That would be cool.

turtlex
02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
mingram - Batman was in our first battle, so I'd like to challenge Spidey to someone new. Any other ideas? Someone from the DC Universe would be good though.

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 07:09 AM
hmmm I think we should go all obscure....

Kaine (the imperfect/scarred, homocidal/psychic extra extra strong spiderman clone) versus Azrael (the armored insane dude from the order of saint dumas who replaced batman for a bit after knightfall)

turtlex
02-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I added that one to the first thread for future battles!

Sam
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
How 'bout Spiderman vs Green Arrow with his host of trick arrows?

fernandito
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Which one are you thinking of doing next Pam?

turtlex
02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Sam - That's a good idea. I like that alot.

Feev - I want to go with Spiderman, but I'm not sure of who to put him against so it's a good battle. Ideas?

fernandito
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
how about....

Spiderman vs Gambit

or

Spiderman vs Nightcrawler?

turtlex
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Feev - I was thinking to keep it Marvel Vs. DC for the first bunch.... Gambit might be up next, though. He's one of my favorites.

... the more I'm reading about Green Arrow, the more I think that might be a great match for Spidey. Sam - Which Green Arrow do you propose?

Matt
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I would suggest some folks but I don't know DC at all. :(

Spidey VS Spawn might work.

turtlex
02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Matt - I'm not all that familiar with DC either, but at Sam's suggestion I did some quick reading about the Green Arrow and that's looking like a good battle to me.

Feev - I added your suggestions to the first thread... and Matt, I'm going to add Spidey Vs. Spawn as well.

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
How 'bout Spiderman vs Green Arrow with his host of trick arrows?

Green arrow Versus Hawkeye!!!!!

fernandito
02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Green arrow Versus Hawkeye!!!!!

Farking excellent suggestion!

How about Green Arrow or Hawkeye vs Bullseye?!

Matt
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone against Bullseye would be a hoot!

Also Deadpool

RUBE
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Spidey versus Aquaman to prove to the Entourage people that there is no way an Aquaman movie would be a bigger box office hit than the Spiderman movies.

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
in keeping with my thought of matching counterparts: Aquaman Versus Namor: the submariner

EdwardDean1999
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Spider-Man Vs. Spawn would be soooo cool. I wanna see that battle. Web and Armor colide! But I think Iron Man v. Spawn would be a more epic "armor" battle.

Some other potential Spidey foes:
-or- The Comedian (Watchmen comes out 3-6-09!) -or- Dr. Manhattan -or- Cat Woman -or- Ra's al Ghul - Savage Dragon -or- The Flash

flaggwalkstheline
02-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Super boy Prime Versus Sentry
The fight of the century!

Sam
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Deathstroke vs Bullseye!!

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will track these.

Sam - Which Green Arrow did you suggest?

( I believe I'm going to go with Spiderman Vs Green Arrow for the next battle )

Sam
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Oliver Queen would be my choice. He has considerably more experience than Connor.

turtlex
02-28-2009, 06:41 AM
The new battle is up : Green Arrow Vs Spidey!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7478

RUBE
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I watched The Big Bang Theory yesterday and one of the main characters reads The Flash. That made me realize that there are few Flash battles suggested here. I think the next battle should include Flash but I can not think of a Marvel character for him to fight that would be a good matchup. (Definitely not Quicksilver because that would be boring.) Maybe Flash versus Hulk. Could Flash hit Hulk enough to ever hurt him? Could Hulk ever hit Flash?

Sam
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
A good opponent for Flash (would you prefer Wally West, Barry Allen, or Bart Allen) would be Daredevil I think. Or how about Magneto?

turtlex
03-04-2009, 03:38 AM
I am a big fan of Daredevil, but honestly don' t know much about Flash. Will have to read up some before I can comment on that match-up.

Brainslinger
03-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Definitely not Quicksilver because that would be boring.

They actually did that in the DC vs Marvel comic.

Flash far supersedes Quicksilver in speed (Quicksilver runs something around the speed of sound, Flash approaches light-speed.)

Quicksilver actually won, but he kinda cheated. Their battle was interrupted when someone was in danger. Flash ran to the rescue and while Flash's attention was diverted, Quicksilver knocked him out. In his defence, he felt guilty though. ;)

turtlex
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Quicksilver actually won, but he kinda cheated. Their battle was interrupted when someone was in danger. Flash ran to the rescue and while Flash's attention was diverted, Quicksilver knocked him out. In his defence, he felt guilty though. ;)

Ha !!!!!!

Brainslinger
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
A future match-up that occurred to me:

Judge Dredd vs The Punisher.

Bye bye Punisher. You're vigilante days are numbered. ;) (I'll admit I'm biased. I haven't read much Punisher.)

turtlex
03-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Hmmmmm.... remember when Lynn Michaels took over as the Punisher?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/mengblom/ladysubs/18_punisher.jpg

Ah. Good times.

Sam
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
And trying to forget it Pam. Frank Castle is The Punisher, no one else. His experience, his pain, and his twisted desire is what makes him The Punisher, not just the tragedy that made him. Check out The Punisher: Born if you haven't read it yet.

I contend that The Punisher vs. Judge Dredd would be a bad battle. Frank doesn't go after law enforcement officers unless they're really bad, and Frank does his homework to make sure he doesn't hurt an innocent person.

Brainslinger
03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I contend that The Punisher vs. Judge Dredd would be a bad battle. Frank doesn't go after law enforcement officers unless they're really bad, and Frank does his homework to make sure he doesn't hurt an innocent person.

Dredd goes after vigilantes though. And Frank might see the Justice system of the mega-cities as bad were he to cross into that world. It is essentially a fascist police state after all. Beneficent fascism but still fascism. Generally Dredd only kills people who deserve it but he has been known to use lethal force when he didn't need to on occasion.

You might be right though. They're both basically non super-powered humans. Might be more interesting to pair each of them up with someone more different. I'll have a think about it...

Sam
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
If I were to pair Frank against someone, it would be Deathstroke.

flaggwalkstheline
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Evil Ernie Versus Rune:drool:

Obscure no?

RUBE
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
A good opponent for Flash (would you prefer Wally West, Barry Allen, or Bart Allen) would be Daredevil I think. Or how about Magneto?

I have never really read DC (and I don't read much Marvel anymore) so I do not know which Flash I would prefer. But it does raise a question with me though. Why are DC characters like NFL franchises? The uniforms are the only thing that stays the same it seems. Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Flash, Batman, and even Superman all seem to have had different people wear the costume at some point. I guess it happens with Marvel too but it seems like it is worse with DC. (I may be totally wrong as I am basing this solely on conversations in this forum.)

Also, I do not think Flash and Daredevil would be a fair fight. I think Flash would be way too fast. It would end up being a landslide vote like the last two battles. Magneto would be a good fight but so far it has been heroes versus heroes.

Sam
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Superman has always stayed the same person, Clark Kent. The others have more or less been a passing of the mantle so to speak. Plus, DC comics has been around since the 40's vs Marvel which started in the 60's. DC's characters evolve more than Marvel's too (though not a whole lot). Marvel is a more static universe, but there have been MAJOR retcons within both companies comic book worlds to deal with the staticness of their characters.

turtlex
03-05-2009, 03:34 AM

Obscure no?

Um, who?

Sam / Rube - Yup, I think DC comic characters tend to do that whole "pass the mantle" thing, too.... much more than Marvel. Would it be out of line to say that DC has more "human" superheroes? They actually die, or have a reason to "pass" their power.

Also to consider... doesn't DC have more SECRET IDENTITY characters than Marvel does?

Sam
03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Especially with the Superhuman Registration Act.

flaggwalkstheline
03-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Obscure no?

Um, who?

only the 2 most badass non marvel or dc characters ever!!

Evil ERnie is from Chaos Comix And Rune is from Malibu

(from wikipedia)

Ernest Fairchild is the root or core of Evil Ernie. Ernest Fairchild was a young boy who possessed supernatural powers to sketch scenes, which would later come to pass. Ernie originally had an enjoyable life, but things started to turn sour when his father became the town pariah when his superiors at the local lumber yard forced him to lay off many workers. Mr. Fairchild began to drink heavily and killed Ernest's pet rat, Smiley, in an inebriated fit of anger. This enraged Ernest and led to him drawing a picture of a car crashing into a tree. It just so happened that his mother was driving over to a local bar to pick up her husband while he was drawing this and ended up crashing into a tree just like in Ernest's sketch. In addition to suffering numerous injuries, she had a miscarriage of the fetus she was carrying, which caused her to slip into an abusive psychosis matching her husband's. As his parents abused him, Ernest's powers developed further to where he could hear the thoughts of those around him and he discovered that many of his neighbors knew that he was being battered by his parents, but did nothing to help him. Either they had lost their jobs at the lumber yard and were too bitter to care or they still had their jobs, but were too afraid of losing them if they confronted his father. Ernest's parents sought to "cure" him of his abilities and brought him to Dr. Leonard Price, who had been working on a behavioral therapy device dubbed the Dream Probe. Price, not knowing about the abuse Ernest was suffering, submitted him to his device, which sent him to the Endless Graveyard, where he met Lady Death. There, she offered to give him the love he so desperately desired if he killed everything on Earth. Once the treatment was over, Ernest pretended to be cured and went home with his parents, only to murder them the next morning along with thirty-five others before he was shot by Doctor Price, who had come to check in on him. After this time he was incarcerated in a mental asylum, under the observation of Doctor Price, who blamed himself for Ernest's murder spree and vowed to make sure it never happened again. Doctor Price lost hope for Fairchild early on, but then a young female doctor named Mary Young invented a process of altering ones mind known as Neurotech. Despite Price's protests, he was submitted to the Neurotech device. During the treatment, Lady Death used her telepathic link with Ernest to cause the machine to explode, killing Ernest. When a nurse placed a smiley face pin intended to be a gift upon his release next to his corpse, Lady Death used it as a conduit for her arcane energy, transforming Ernest into the powerful, undead monster that would be known as Evil Ernie.

Evil Ernie hereafter, along with his partner 'Smiley' (A psychotic smiley badge, which was once his pet rat) set about to cause 'Megadeath', which involved setting all of the USA's nuclear plethora on the rest of the world, so the rest of the world fires on itself (a sort of domino effect). Ernie sets to accomplish this by creating an army of zombies known as 'Dead onez'. Various adventures ensue, including a trip back to his past to confront his parents about their ill treatment of him, and a trip to hell to rebuke Pagan (the court jester of hell) for having Lady Death cast out into the void by Satan.

The culmination of Ernie's efforts amount to him causing Megadeath by causing the rest of the world to fire on itself with nuclear warheads from other various countries. Elsewhere the world has been earlier obliterated by nuclear strikes from various countries. Evil Ernie ends his life in a duel with Dr. Price, and in the last moment before the missiles hit, Ernie overpowers Price and turns him into a Dead One, exclaiming: Do you see it now? To which Price replies I see it, it's beau- Hereafter, both are dead. The very last scene is one of a mushroom cloud behind the survivors, bearing a facade of Ernie's face, grinning maniacally.

After his death in his own world, Ernie would be reborn in the universe of Tim Seeley's HACK/Slash (in which no equivalent of him appears to exist). Discovering that Lady Death does not exist in this world, a depressed Ernie takes up residence in the Fairchild Sawmill in New Jersey and begins killing strippers and changing them into Dead Onez. Ernie would eventually encounter slasher slayer Cassie Hack and her partner Vlad and in the ensueing battle read Cassie's mind and fell in love with her, believing them to two sides of the same coin. After Cassie is saved from him by Vlad, Ernie, wanting to impress Cassie, decides to purge the world of killers and breaks into the Clearview Mental Institution, planning to start his mission there. During his killing spree, Ernie is confronted by Cassie and Vlad and, while fighting the latter, is attacked by a recently arrived police officer. Killing the officer, Ernie discovers Cassie had accidentally been shot and, after she dies, Ernie sacrifices himself to revive her, causing him to die and be reborn elsewhere.

After the Hack/Slash crossover, the newly renewed license gained a new lease on life in the 4 issue mini-series Evil Ernie in Santa Fe. Written by Alan Grant and penciled by Tommy Castillo it featured Ernie in Santa Fe contemplating matters of fate after killing Norman Lowell, a lawyer who lead Ernie against black-magic and Satanic cult performing rituals with connections to FastWay, a fast food franchise, while planning to sacrifice a child to demon Zabudel who granted wealth to their leader. All the while Ernie is chased by Dr. Price's Layna who wants revenge partnered with detective Rig Dannon who's willing to catch Ernie for the million dollar reward.

[edit] Smiley
Throughout the series, Ernie's companion is Smiley, a wise-cracking smiley face button usually attached to the lapel of his jacket. Smiley serves as the conduit for the arcane energy that gives Ernie his powers, as well as the comic relief of the series. Smiley claims to be Ernie's super-ego and is sometimes at odds with his friend's decisions, such as when Ernie resurrected his parents in order to confront them about their past. For the most part, his personality is more easy-going and comical than Ernie's.

Powers
As Ernest Fairchild, he had the ability to sketch drawings of the future. This was first demonstrated when he drew a picture of a brand new washing machine being delivered shortly before one was delivered to his parents as a prize in a raffle they had not even entered. It seems that his ability could change the future since he once drew a picture of him and his future younger brother walking hand and hand when he heard his mother tell his father she was pregnant with a boy, only to prevent his younger brother from being born when he drew his mother's car crashing into a tree. Later on, he gained the ability to listen to the thoughts of others.

As Evil Ernie, he was extremely strong, practically unstoppable, thanks to the arcane energy of Lady Death. He could revive anyone he killed as loyal zombie follower in his army of the undead. When he was resurrected in Washington D.C., he was even more powerful. He could now resurrect the corpses of anyone nearby, whether he had killed them or not, and could manipulate arcane energy into powerful blasts to destroy his enemies, though he rarely used this ability since he preferred to be more "hands on" when it came to killing. He retained his telepathic abilities only to a small degree, which allowed him to speak to and see Lady Death after murdering someone or using astral projection to visit Hell while he slept.

The source of Evil Ernie's power comes from the arcane energy channeled into him by Lady Death through his button, Smiley. If Ernie is separated from Smiley, he begins to lose his power and becomes much weaker and, if apart from Smiley long enough, dies.

(also from wikipedia)

Rune is a fictional vampire-like being from Malibu Comics' Ultraverse imprint. He was created by Barry Windsor-Smith and Chris Ulm, and first appeared as a back-up story in Sludge #1 (another Malibu comic).

Rune was a human-like alien in the Ultraverse, until he acquired the Star Stones, magical artifacts which made him virtually immortal, but cursed him with a monstrous form and a vampiric thirst for blood. Ages ago, he found himself stranded on Earth, and has been both worshipped as a god and reviled as a demon throughout history.

Rune plays a vital part in the four-issue limited series Godwheel.

[edit] Powers and Abilities
Rune derives his power from the Star Stones, which he wears around his neck. These absorb the souls and life-force of his victims, and he uses them to power various feats of magic. He has vampire-like abilities, including bat-like wings allowing him to fly, great strength, speed and durability, and is nearly impossible to kill, even by decapitation; however exposure to a nuclear explosion in 1952 has given him cancer and greatly weakened his powers. Even in this state, he is capable of performing magic spells such as teleporting people across a continent and creating illusions to disguise himself as human. He also possesses certain psychic powers, such as precognition, psychometry, and clairvoyance. By consuming the life-force of an Ultra, he can temporarily boost his powers tremendously.

turtlex
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
flagg... I wonder if you have any information about them, though? :D

I'll add them to the list the next time I update. :D

flaggwalkstheline
03-05-2009, 12:13 PM
flagg... I wonder if you have any information about them, though? :D

I'll add them to the list the next time I update. :D

I have difficulty posting photos here but these would work perfectly as profiles for these characters

heres a link to an evil ernie fansite http://members.tripod.com/~LadyDeath_EvilErnie/ernie.html

There are not many fansites for malibu comics but the bio I posted of rune is pretty up 2 date... heres a site with some good pics of him
http://www.comics.org/series.lasso?seriesid=5143

turtlex
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Awesome, man! Thanks !

RUBE
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Superman has always stayed the same person, Clark Kent. The others have more or less been a passing of the mantle so to speak. Plus, DC comics has been around since the 40's vs Marvel which started in the 60's. DC's characters evolve more than Marvel's too (though not a whole lot). Marvel is a more static universe, but there have been MAJOR retcons within both companies comic book worlds to deal with the staticness of their characters.

The other "Supermen" that I was referring to are the four or five different ones that popped up after Clark Kent's version "died." I did not read the stories but I remember reading an article about how each of them were different but they all claimed to be him or something like that.

RUBE
03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
So Evil Ernie is a combination of Flagg, Patrick, and the zombie from the front of the Megadeath album covers?

Brainslinger
03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
The other "Supermen" that I was referring to are the four or five different ones that popped up after Clark Kent's version "died." I did not read the stories but I remember reading an article about how each of them were different but they all claimed to be him or something like that.

Yes. That was only temporary though. A lot of them were superheroes and villains with their own names and abilities.

turtlex
03-09-2009, 05:41 AM
FYI : I'm leaning towards The Flash Vs. IronMan ( as proposed by flaggwalkstheline ) for the next battle.

... new battle to be posted on Saturday.

flaggwalkstheline
03-09-2009, 05:47 AM
So Evil Ernie is a combination of Flagg, Patrick, and the zombie from the front of the Megadeath album covers?

YES!!!
although an interview I read with Brian Pullido (the creator of chaos comix) said that his physical appearance was based on alice cooper

razz
03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
i know he's not technically a comic character, but...
I say we should have a battle of Chuck Norris vs.....Chuck Norris :o
btw, I bet Chuck Norris would win.

flaggwalkstheline
03-12-2009, 07:29 PM
i know he's not technically a comic character, but...
I say we should have a battle of Chuck Norris vs.....Chuck Norris :o
btw, I bet Chuck Norris would win.

The chuck norris clone saga:panic::panic::panic:

turtlex
03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Chuck Norris counted to infinity... twice.

turtlex
03-14-2009, 02:55 AM
The new battle is up : Thanks to flaggwalkstheline for the suggestion.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7584

turtlex
03-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Just a quick note - I think the next battle is going to have a female touch to it...

Brice
03-23-2009, 04:52 AM
I am fairly sure most of us around here do not mind female touches.

turtlex
03-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah... I wasn't going to go here... but feel I should just to show I can be as crude and non-puritan as the next person ...

Hopefully not too many folks mind a little girl on girl action.

Brice
03-23-2009, 05:20 AM
:lol:

Absolutely... we do not mind.

Aaron
03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Not in the least...:drool:

Sam
03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm in for something a little less sweet and more... amazonian. How would Jean Grey vs. Wonder Woman grab ya?

turtlex
03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Not sure about Jean Grey right now, though she's on the short list... thing is, as Dark Phoenix she's unbeatable, by anyone.... would have to be Marvel Girl Jean Grey... I'm leaning toward Rogue Vs Wonder Woman... but not sure yet.

Sam
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I was absolutely thinking of Marvel Girl Jean.

Dark Phoenix can go up against Darkseid. I give that fight about two minutes... 90 seconds of it will be travel time.

Brainslinger
03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
They did Storm Vs Wonderwoman in the DC vs Marvel comics. I'm not sure who won, (I was just flicking through the book in the shop and never actually read it through) but I think it was Wonder Woman. I know one of them (I think WW) got hold of Thor's hammer at one point, so it might have been an unfair advantage...

turtlex
03-24-2009, 02:55 AM
They did Storm Vs Wonderwoman in the DC vs Marvel comics. I'm not sure who won, (I was just flicking through the book in the shop and never actually read it through) but I think it was Wonder Woman. I know one of them (I think WW) got hold of Thor's hammer at one point, so it might have been an unfair advantage...

Well, that seems unfair !

Especially since Thor is a Marvel character... you'd think it would be Storm he'd toss the hammer to!?!

Then again, I've never been much of a Storm fan, really. Meh.

Brainslinger
03-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Especially since Thor is a Marvel character... you'd think it would be Storm he'd toss the hammer to!?!

Then again, I've never been much of a Storm fan, really. Meh.

He didn't actually give it to her. I think he dropped it at some point and she found it. She was able to feel it's power though and could use it. Probably due to her powers coming from gods too.

It's weird, cos I seem to remember a bit more this morning... I think she actually put it away because she knew she'd have an unfair advantage and it was Storm who ended up winning!

Superstrength and flight weren't any match for someone who can control the weather (I think Storm blasted her with lightening! Heh. Hand to hand, I'm sure Wonderwoman would have made short work of her though.)

I think these things could have gone either way though. I think readers actually voted as to who they'd like to win and the writers wrote a story to fit the outcome. A lot of what I read made sense though.

turtlex
04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Rogue won the battle with Wonder Woman! A new Battle will be up soon. Might take a break while we're prepping the Best Graphic Novel of All Time polls.

turtlex
04-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I decided to go with a new battle today, after all.

This is a fun one - J.Jonah Jameson Vs. Perry White. Proposed by Seymour_Glass.

RUBE
04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
It is too bad the thread for best graphic novels closed because I finally thought of one to suggest. Oh well.

Sam
04-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm curious Rube, what title did you think of?

turtlex
04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
It is too bad the thread for best graphic novels closed because I finally thought of one to suggest. Oh well.

Sorry, friend. We had it up for more than two weeks. We had to have a cut off in order to get to work on the brackets. Many apologies.

RUBE
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Sorry, friend. We had it up for more than two weeks. We had to have a cut off in order to get to work on the brackets. Many apologies.

That is all right because I don't really read many graphic novels and the few good ones I have read are already listed. I was only going to suggest Superman: Red Son because it was being used in an English class at the university where I work and because I was interested in winning a free graphic novel. I haven't even really read it enough except to know it was a retelling of Superman's story if he had landed in Communist U.S.S.R.

Seymour_Glass
04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
This might not count, because he's a manga character, but I think the biggest fight of all time would go down between Goku and Superman.

flaggwalkstheline
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
This might not count, because he's a manga character, but I think the biggest fight of all time would go down between Goku and Superman.

hmmm
I agree, superman and goku are both 1 dimensional superstrong dogooders sent as children from the ashes of alien worlds who refuse to stay dead lol

Sentry vs superman would be just as cool

Nothing against DBZ or any of its sequels/ prequels, it was good to me when I was an adolescent but there is WAY better anime/ manga out there than dbz, dbz is only marginally better than pokemon

The Brood (x men/ marvel) versus The Blue (blue gender) would be a good fight
or Alucard versus Morbius (when he had all of his powers circa rise of the midnight sons), that would be a vampire battle for the ages

Sam
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Here's a pairing for you. Hulk (Savage of course) vs. Doomsday. Has that one been suggested yet?

turtlex
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
:orely: I'm thinking maybe Hulk for our next Battle.... :orely:

flaggwalkstheline
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
OOO howsabout Hulk versus Prime!!! see these links if u arent aware of who Prime is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_(comics)

http://www.rzero.com/books/Prime.html

turtlex
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks, man, I'll check them out..
...honestly my first thought was an Marvel on Marvel battle with The Thing.

Brainslinger
04-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking maybe Hulk for our next Battle.... :orley:

Oo! Against who? He's fought (and lost) to Superman already (it was close though.) It's difficult to think of anyone else he couldn't beat. Eventually anyway.

Actually Jon Jonz might be a good contender. He's of comparable strength to Superman (although I think Supes might edge it) and lots of other powers besides.

Brainslinger
04-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks, man, I'll check them out..
...honestly my first thought was an Marvel on Marvel battle with The Thing.

Hmm, they've done that before haven't they?

Personally I think Hulk would own The Thing... although I suppose Thing has an edge in intelligence. (If you're going for the classic primal green Hulk.)

flaggwalkstheline
04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
hulk has beaten things face in numerous times

Sam
04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
If we go with Hulk, we could always use The Professor (still Hulk). He had Banner's intellegence, the Gray Hulk's cunning, and the Savage (green) Hulk's power.

Brainslinger
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I say go with the savage Green Hulk. That's the one most people are acquainted with.

turtlex
04-22-2009, 12:51 AM
For sure Hulk has taken on Thing before... that don't mean nuttin' though. I'm thinking on it.

Brainslinger
04-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Well I'm sure Hulk wouldn't mind the exercise anyway. Thing might need to invest in a tub of superglue for all those dislodged bricks though.

Psst. Jon Jonz, for reasons I said. And he's green!

turtlex
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Friends - Now that the Best Graphic Novel of All Time polls are complete, I'll be bringing back the VERSUS Battles!!!

I know you love them! I do, too.

Seymour_Glass
07-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Grant Morrison vs. Dan Didio?

turtlex
07-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Grant Morrison vs. Dan Didio?

:lol:

turtlex
07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
We're back, my friends.

I just put up a new battle.... Gambit Vs. The Joker!!!

No discussions on it here, please... Go to the thread for voting and conversation! (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8864)

turtlex
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, I guess it was bound to happen eventually...

We have our first tie/draw in the VERSUS Comic Battles.

Both The Joker and Gambit each had 16 votes... so they tied their battle.

They'll go to a neutral corner and heal up a bit, and we'll trot them out again sometime in the future for a re-match.

This was a great and fun battle! Thanks to everyone who participated.

The first entry has been updated. I'll put another Battle Poll up soon.

Tvmorbid
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I look forward to butting heads with you again my dear. Such... stimulating adversity is always good http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Tvmorbid/Smileys/evil.gif

(But seriously, that was a lot of fun. Bring on the next one! :D)

turtlex
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I love our VERSUS Battles, without a doubt... and I love when everyone gets involved and bribes their friends to vote, too! :grouphug:

flaggwalkstheline
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
could we plllllllease have a ben reilly versus azrael poll?
alternate spiderman versus alternate batman in all their 90s glory?:drool:

although as all of know ben reilly IS coming back to the marvel universe soon:drool::drool:

Tvmorbid
08-07-2009, 01:25 AM
could we plllllllease have a ben reilly versus azrael poll?
alternate spiderman versus alternate batman in all their 90s glory?:drool:

although as all of know ben reilly IS coming back to the marvel universe soon:drool::drool:

Yeeeeessss this would be very interesting, I think they would be reasonably evenly matched as well.

I was very surprised to hear Ben was coming back, although quite they plan to do it (without being cliché) is what interests me most :D

candy
08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
did we ever go with the hulk vote? Did i miss it? darn.....

turtlex
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
candy - Nope, I haven't put up a Hulk battle yet. That's coming up, so you didn't miss it. :couple:

flagg - I'll add ben reilly versus azrael to the list. Do you think enough folks know the history, etc, to vote though?

flaggwalkstheline
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
flagg - I'll add ben reilly versus azrael to the list. Do you think enough folks know the history, etc, to vote though?

well thats where links 2 the wikipedia articles come in very handy: educating anyone who doesnt know about knightfall or the clone saga

turtlex
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Link me, dude. :D

I'll check them out and we'll put them on the list. Promise!

flaggwalkstheline
08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
YAAYYYY!!!!!!

links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azrael_(comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reilly

Tvmorbid
08-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Coincidently I'm currently reading the whole Knightfall saga again, 'tis one of the best story arcs in DC history.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I find the time to go through the whoooooooole of the Clone Saga :lol: