PDA

View Full Version : Best Minor Antagonist - Semi-Final

Aaron
01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Due to the large amount of nominations, we must do this semi-final polling to determine which characters will actually be in the running for the final voting for this category. There are only ten slots available on the ballot (board restrictions) and we have eleven characters nominated in this category that met the minimum requirements. Those characters with more than three nominations will be moving forward automatically.

They are:

Nadine Cross
Sunlight Gardner
Andy the Robot
Henry Bowers
Trashcan Man
Eldred Jonas
Gasher

Of the following characters only three will advance to final voting, based on the scoring in this poll. Please choose who your top pick is from those listed. This poll will close in one week.

Lloyd Henreid (The Stand)
Greta Shaw (The Waste Lands)
Harold Lauder (The Stand)
Patrick Hockstetter (IT)

Heather19
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Definitely Patrick Hockstetter. One of the scariest characters King has ever created, in my opinion.

obscurejude
01-25-2009, 04:15 PM
He is scary Heather, and hard to understand.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Aha, here is the answer to my question on the Best Antagonist thread.

Jean
01-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Harold

flaggwalkstheline
01-26-2009, 07:14 AM
harold

how is greta shaw an antagonist? shes jakes nanny/ caretaker...

jayson
01-26-2009, 07:18 AM

There was a lot of discussion on it in this thread:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3062&highlight=Greta+Shaw

The short version is that some of us don't feel that Greta was necessarily a positive influence on Jake, and thus, an antagonist.

Read that thread for further explanation.

flaggwalkstheline
01-26-2009, 07:30 AM

There was a lot of discussion on it in this thread:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3062&highlight=Greta+Shaw

The short version is that some of us don't feel that Greta was necessarily a positive influence on Jake, and thus, an antagonist.

Read that thread for further explanation.

eh i dont necessarilly agree with that...
but couldnt dandelo or pimli prentiss or ann anderson or the guy who ran over stephen king or danny the boy vampire been there instead of the infamous nanny?

eh this is the wrong place to argue about that so I'll shut up now lol

jayson
01-26-2009, 07:33 AM
but couldnt dandelo or pimli prentiss or ann anderson or the guy who ran over stephen king or danny the boy vampire been there instead of the infamous nanny?

Sure they could have been, had they been nominated and received seconds and thirds etc...

eh this is the wrong place to argue about that so I'll shut up now lol

Feel free to add your thoughts in the Greta thread. That debate is always ripe for revisiting. :)

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 08:23 AM
In all seriousness, I'm having a hard time deciding between Greta and Patrick. I have a lot of sympathy for Harold and Lloyd, whose motivations were always complicated to me.

jayson
01-26-2009, 08:40 AM
So do you feel that if you understand their motivations they become less of an antagonist? I think I understand Harold fairly well and do find him sympathetic, but he nonetheless fulfilled the antagonist role with his actions.

I'm just curious, I'm not trying to antagonize (pun intended). :P

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
So do you feel that if you understand their motivations they become less of an antagonist? I think I understand Harold fairly well and do find him sympathetic, but he nonetheless fulfilled the antagonist role with his actions.

I'm just curious, I'm not trying to antagonize (pun intended). :P

Antagonist and Protagonist seem kind of dichotomous to me. I think it comes from being a platonist for so many years. Aristotle saved my soul, but finding a comfortable middle ground is still difficult for my mind. Basically, what I'm saying, is that I have a hard time with these terms unless very little information is given about the characters and they fit into cut and dry categories.

Make sense you minor antagonist? :P

jayson
01-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh it makes complete sense to me. It's unlikely with my own academic background that I could see protagonist and antagonist as anything other than subjective roles, or as Roger Waters put it... "And who knows which is which, and who is who?"

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 08:56 AM
I guess I should try and think of it in terms strictly related to how they propelled the plot relatedly to the protagonist.

Greta and Patrick were both pretty minor to the plot line though. :doh:

Brice
01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Or think of it in terms of which was most obstructive/destructive to the protagonists regardless of motivations?

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Or think of it in terms of which was most obstructive/destructive to the protagonists regardless of motivations?

Thank you for repeating what I just said. :rofl: You always do that. :lol:

Brice
01-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I was just posting what you said. I always do that.

:lol: Hey, nearly everytime I post it's after working for eight hours straight. My brain isn't at it's best.

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I was just posting what you said. I always do that.

:lol: Hey, nearly everytime I post it's after working for eight hours straight. My brain isn't at it's best.

But with a question mark. :orely:

I know you work third shift homie. I was just giving you a hard time. :couple:

Brice
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I know. :lol: I deserved it though.

Woofer
01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Augh! I have to choose btw Harold and Lloyd? I love them. :excited:

ManOfWesternesse
02-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Harold - really complex & well-written character.

Aaron
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Looks like we have a tie on this one for the lowest score. I am going to ask Hannah to make the final decision on it, since she didnt vote yet. Then we will have all of our finalists.