PDA

View Full Version : Describe the series!!

Matt
08-17-2007, 06:23 AM
There is another thread about converting people to The Dark Tower and I thought it might be nice to figure out the best way to describe it to them.

Its kind of a game :dance:

So think of the series in its entirety and act like you had 30 seconds to convince someone to read it.

Wuducynn
08-17-2007, 06:43 AM
My most convincing description ever...

"Uhhh it's kind of about..uhhh uhhhh..."

Seriously though, what I normally try to tell folk I talk to about the Dark Tower series is to keep it simple as possible.. "It's a profound, complex saga involving a last gunslinger who is another kind of a knight, on trying to find the Dark Tower. It is a deep mystery, fantasy, horror, sci-fi mix. Fucking read it or I will kill you". The idea is to keep it short and to the point.

Darkthoughts
08-17-2007, 08:00 AM
I often get "I don't like Stephen King books - too creepy!" so now I start by saying "Theres this series, its by Stephen King - and even if you don't like his other stuff - you will love this!"

And after that, well, like CK says - I try and keep it simple. Partly because I'm known for rambling and I generally have 30 seconds before people switch off and stop really paying attention :lol: But also because it is complicated to describe - I mention Roland, the Tower and the Beams and keep repeating "You have to read it!" :D

Matt
08-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I was hoping reguardless of what we would do, if people could like try and come up with a 30 second "spot" as if it would be a commercial. :lol:

I'll try and show what I mean in a minute. :nana:

Darkthoughts
08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Ohhhh...riiiight! I do get you - I have to goto work in 10 minutes so I'll think something up while I'm there! ;)

Wuducynn
08-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I get you Matt. I got you good.

Letti
08-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I have been planning to open such a thread as this one for days, Matt. :D

MonteGss
08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
**Que cheesy infomercial voice**

“Are you a lover of all things fantasy and sci-fi? Do you like stories of love, companionship and unnecessary, brutal violence? Do you wake up in the morning on the verge of remembering something from another time and another place? If so then we have the adventure of a lifetime for you! Meet Roland Deschain, the world’s last gunslinger, on a quest to save the mysterious Dark Tower. (cue eery music) Follow this ancient knight through a myriad of time and place while he discovers what it means to lead, sacrifice and remember the face of his father as he tries to answer the ultimate question: What is at the top of the Tower? Prepare yourself to be amazed at the most atypical Stephen King story you will ever read!"

Matt
08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Holy shit Monte!!

That was great, I would totally read that

MonteGss
08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
:D

Wuducynn
08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, like that would be done in 30 seconds. Unless you're an auctioneer maybe and then the person you're speaking with couldn't understand anything you said so it would be worthless.

fernandito
08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
That was f*cking genius, Monte. :)

(applause)

Matt
08-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah, like that would be done in 30 seconds. Unless you're an auctioneer maybe and then the person you're speaking with couldn't understand anything you said so it would be worthless.

Holy shit! That gives me an idea!!

We should record these so everyone can listen :lol:

I said Montes very clearly in about 18 seconds, but I have radio in my family

Letti
08-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Mine: "If you would like to know more about yourself and the whole big running world, if you would like to cry and laugh your ass of, if you would like to find something priceless, start to read the Dark Tower and want to find it."

I don't think it could work... but still. :D

MonteGss
08-18-2007, 07:19 AM
I didn't even try very hard and I said mine in under 30 seconds. :)
I like yours too Letti. :wub:

Letti
08-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I didn't even try very hard and I said mine in under 30 seconds. :)

You rule the school. ;)

Matt
08-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Letti's is cool :wub:

Here's mine:

As this quest begins, it is not just for treasure or glory, it is for the salvation of all existence. Join Roland, the worlds last Gunslinger, as he uses skills born from a life time of training to journey to the very foot of The Dark Tower.

Watch as he gathers a group of special individuals to aid him in his ultimate goal. Walk with this group as they travel through a world that has moved on but is still full of magic, wonder and death.

Learn the fate of Roland the Tower and all universes as the wheel spins on its axis to this amazing stories climatic conclusion.

hmmm...I may need to work on that.

MonteGss
08-18-2007, 08:06 AM
That's cool too Matt. :)

Wuducynn
08-18-2007, 08:29 AM
**Que cheesy infomercial voice**

“Are you a lover of all things fantasy and sci-fi? Do you like stories of love, companionship and unnecessary, brutal violence? Do you wake up in the morning on the verge of remembering something from another time and another place? If so then we have the adventure of a lifetime for you! Meet Roland Deschain, the world’s last gunslinger, on a quest to save the mysterious Dark Tower. (cue eery music) Follow this ancient knight through a myriad of time and place while he discovers what it means to lead, sacrifice and remember the face of his father as he tries to answer the ultimate question: What is at the top of the Tower? Prepare yourself to be amazed at the most atypical Stephen King story you will ever read!"

Seriously though, well done. I can hear it.

MonteGss
08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
;)

Daghain
08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Monte, that rocks!

Darkthoughts
08-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Scene opens: Darkthoughts is sat in a room reading off a sheet of paper,she mumbles "I'm never going to read all that in 30 seconds!"...she then appears to have a sudden brainwave...

Cut to a speeded up montage scene where we see DT catch a plane to the States and bribe various dt.com members into giving her their 30 second slots. DT then goes into a video booth to present to you...

A Shameless Parody of Tenacious D's Tribute:

This is the greatest and best story in the World...Dark Tower.

Long time ago me and my sister here,
found ourselves bookless on a long and lonesome shelf.
All of a sudden,
Chimes of todash chimed...
in the middle...
of the shelf.

A voice said:
"Read the best books in the World
And save the rose!"

Well me and sis, we looked at each other,
and we each said
"Okay."

So we read the first book that came to our hands,
Just so happened to be,
Dt part 1, The Gunslinger,
One of the best books in the World.

Look into my eyes and its easy to see
4 and 5 make 9
9 and 10...19
It was ka you see!

Once every hundred thousand years or so,
When the thinny doth shine and the beams doth glow
and the rose doth grow!

Needless to say,
The voice was stunned.
"You've 6 more books to go,
Until you're done!"
It asked us:
"Dt.net?"
And we said:
"Nay.
Dt.com!" ROCK!!

...Darkthoughts prepares for the chorus, and the yodelling part that shes particularly been looking forward to, but is carted off from the booth by security guards...

:P

MonteGss
08-19-2007, 08:31 AM
:lol:
Cool!

sarah
08-20-2007, 08:09 AM
wow! I'm so impressed with you lot of Krazy Kids! You all are descriptive and telling in few words. very nice indeed!

my thoughts from the other thread. :lol:

It's a fantastic griping quest that involes things that creak pound crack race die live hot cold thirst starvation mountains and so on and so on and so on and so on

LadyHitchhiker
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
This is the best series of all time. It is of every single genre. It has horror, romance, western, mystery, suspense, fantasy, and much more. The characters are the most real characters I've ever experienced and I feel like I have grown up with them. It is a story of a man trying to find a way to save all worlds, with his band of friends they take on the dangers of all worlds.

LadyHitchhiker
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Or at least that's what I tell people who come into Bookworld and ask about the series.

Letti
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
It's not just a shockingly good series.
It's my friend.
It's my home.

LadyHitchhiker
03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Awwwwwwwww.... That touched my heart...

BillyxRansom
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Look into my eyes and its easy to see
4 and 5 make 9
9 and 10...19
It was ka you see!

WIN FUCKING WIN FOREVER

obscurejude
03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
The Dark Tower series comes up a lot at school. I always tell people that in all of the literature I have read, of any genre, nothing has held my imagination captive like the Dark Tower. It truly is "sheer imaginative force." Roland remains the most compelling character I have ever come across, and he continues to earn my devotion as he is paired up against all the great literature of the west. I guess I should cry at the fuck-off Shakespeare plays that I have to go to. But Shakespeare has never moved me like DT, and I have no reason to believe that it ever will.

Storyslinger
03-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Full of adventure.
Connection to friends.
Battling the foes.

Stephen King wrote it. :lol:

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Profound quest with mystical and cosmological implications, with western/ horror/sci-fi/Arthurian themes added to the mix. Very complex. Lots of hot sex.

ATG
03-26-2008, 06:39 AM
" It's bigger than the LOTR. More contemporary. A sweeping epic covering dimensions and universes. I feel a person would be missing out if they missed the story. "

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 06:40 AM
" It's bigger than the LOTR. More contemporary. A sweeping epic covering dimensions and universes. I feel a person would be missing out if they missed the story. "

And lots of hot sex don't forget.

Brice
04-02-2008, 05:36 AM
The Dark Tower series comes up a lot at school. I always tell people that in all of the literature I have read, of any genre, nothing has held my imagination captive like the Dark Tower. It truly is "sheer imaginative force." Roland remains the most compelling character I have ever come across, and he continues to earn my devotion as he is paired up against all the great literature of the west. I guess I should cry at the fuck-off Shakespeare plays that I have to go to. But Shakespeare has never moved me like DT, and I have no reason to believe that it ever will.

Who the hell is this Shakespeare guy?

obscurejude
04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Some douche that got drunk one fortnight and wrote Hamlet and consequently got famous.

Brice
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh, ok! Gotcha' :D

ZoNeSeeK
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
"Well I love it, and I'm awesome, therefore you should read it."