PDA

View Full Version : King Mistaken for Vandal in Aussie Bookshop

Steve
08-17-2007, 04:05 AM
This is some pretty weird stuff:

SYDNEY (AFP) - Best-selling author Stephen King was mistaken for a vandal as he horrified an Australian outback bookstore, local media reported Thursday.

A customer at the store in remote Alice Springs raised the alarm after noticing a man walk in off the street and begin writing in several books, manager Bev Ellis told national radio.

"As the owner of a bookshop, when you see someone writing in one of your books you get a bit toey (touchy)," Ellis said.

"So we immediately ran to the books and lo-and-behold here was the signature in several books. We sort of spun around on our heels, (saying) 'where did he go, where did he go'?"

Ellis said she saw the horror writer standing in the fruit and vegetable section of the supermarket across the road in the small desert town and went over to introduce herself.

"He was lovely, very nice, charming," she said. "He introduced me to his friends and we had a talk and then I said 'Well, I'll leave you to the tomatoes.'

"I don't think he wanted people to know he was here but I told him that if I knew he was coming I would have baked him a cake."

Of the six books that King signed, five would be given to community groups for fund-raising auctions, she said.

The sixth was bought by the customer who mistook King for a vandal.

Rjeso
08-17-2007, 05:10 AM
:jealous:

That was way cool of him to randomly up the value of those books like that. What a lucky customer, getting signed material without having to pay an assload of cash for it.

Matt
08-17-2007, 06:02 AM
No shit, I wish that would happen to me.

Daghain
08-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Me too! That's way cool. :)

Darkthoughts
08-17-2007, 07:19 AM
That is a brilliant story...I'm sure SK was all the more amused by them mistaking him for a vandal :lol:

Matt
08-17-2007, 08:14 AM
True, I bet he LOVED that!!

sarah
08-17-2007, 10:34 AM
great story, steve. thanks for posting.

that king guy is such a trouble maker. :lol:

Erin
08-17-2007, 12:58 PM
:lol: Great story.

Spencer
08-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I wish Stephen King would show up in my house and start randomly writing in books. :D

Brice
08-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Actually, he was still a vandal. :lol: He wasn't mistaken for one, but I don't think I'd mind it a bit either

Patrick
08-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Great story!

ZoNeSeeK
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Hehe :) A friend of mine at work just got back from the states and said she bumped into him at LAX wheeling his luggage around, and then caught the same shuttle bus, but i dont think they had a conversation or anything. Still, pretty cool I thought ;)

Daghain
08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh, I would totally have said, Mr. King, would you be willing to sign this?" In my best polite-Catholic-ass-kissing voice.

Life is too short, baby. :lol: