Overall Average Grade:
2.801587301 (Graded A)

Combined Round 1 & 2 scores:

Daghain
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Straight A's. An excellent book. :)

jayson
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
All A's. I think the character development in particular is quite strong. It's character development like King uses in this book and It that really show what he can do when he concentrates.

The "hand of God" part of the ending irks me a tiny bit, but not enough to really detract from the overall enjoyment of it.

Chooch
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:A+A+A+...one of SK acheivement in the world "Capin' Trips"Mother Abigal to The walkin dude to M-O-O-N Tom Cullens...great book !!!

mae
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Next to read probably :)

at_one
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
A+ A+ A+ In my mind, Best. Book. Ever! I have read more than a dozen times and it gets better every time. Numeral uno on my list.

alinda
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
All A's here ....there are so many books than I think deserve straight A's. SK is so amazing, so many great books! I have given all A's to several so far, a few that didnt quite make it, but this one for sure!

Patrick
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
M-O-O-N, that spells straight A's.

jayson
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Nice. :)

Sam
01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
This is King at his absolute finest. All A+'s and wish I could grade it even higher.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
All A's. This one is the overall winner IMHO. Followed by IT.

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
C,B,C

Sam
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
:o Which book is your favorite dude?

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
:o Which book is your favorite dude?

Favorite King book?

IT or the Talisman. The Gunslinger is up there too.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
CBC??????????
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I find yours disturbing. If nothing else, how can this book not deserve an A in character development. These characters were developed better that ANY other book I have ever read.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
IT is a fine book however, also with impeccable character development.

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
CBC??????????
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I find yours disturbing. If nothing else, how can this book not deserve an A in character development. These characters were developed better that ANY other book I have ever read.

I've written essay length posts on this. You can check it out in the Stand thread as well as the Stand v. Cell thread. I'm sick of talking about it.

The character development was overly done, that's how. They became more powerful than the plot which is why it took the hand of God to end the story. I almost gave it a C, but I liked Nick and mother Abigail quite a bit...

Nothing against you, sir. I know I'm in a minority, but I'm tired of beating a dead horse. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I know that most of you love the book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 10:10 PM
And you dont find that the character development of IT is similar in nature to that of the Stand? Overly done that is.

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:12 PM
And you dont find that the character development of IT is similar in nature to that of the Stand? Overly done that is.

Hell no. :) IT is a very plot driven book. I never got the sense that King didn't know where it was going. I think it highlights his gifts in a much better way than the Stand.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
The plot of It is much more intricate, and is able to carry the story. The plot for the stand is simple. 1. flu pandemic 2. almost everyone dies. 3. survivors divide into light and dark. 4. light prevails

Because a book of this length and magnitude has such a simple plot. Character development must be done to a great magnitude, because unlike the plot-rich It, in the Stand, it Is the characters that drive the story. I believe that it was Kings intent to make you care about the characters more than the story.

Which is different from many king novels, ie Pet Semetary, where character development is unimportant, and it is what happens to those characters which is important.

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Not going to debate any of this stuff anymore. :)

Melike
01-22-2009, 10:33 PM
A, A, A.

Jean
01-23-2009, 12:25 AM
If nothing else, how can this book not deserve an A in character development.
Absolutely, - I gave it all A's, but the A in the middle is really A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++

K.J.J.
01-23-2009, 12:51 AM

I second that (:

3 DOORS DOWN
01-23-2009, 06:00 AM
A+,A+.A+ One of the best books ever written.

fernandito
01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I've never read it...

:|

/facepalms

Heather19
01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
and I've only read half :(
I really need to try reading this again sometime soon.

jayson
01-23-2009, 06:20 PM
That's interesting Heather. As much as you love It, I would think another epic length multi-character masterpiece like The Stand would appeal to you.

Heather19
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
And I really wanted to love it as well. I did enjoy what I read, however I guess just not enough to drive me to finish it. I just put it down one day, and for some reason never went back. I will revisit it at some point, because I think I'll enjoy it once I finish it.

obscurejude
01-23-2009, 11:23 PM
And I really wanted to love it as well. I did enjoy what I read, however I guess just not enough to drive me to finish it. I just put it down one day, and for some reason never went back. I will revisit it at some point, because I think I'll enjoy it once I finish it.

I completely understand, though I have read the whole thing.

girl at the window
01-24-2009, 06:05 AM
This is one of my favorite books of all time. Not to mention one of my favorite Stephen King books. I read it the first time many years ago and I couldn't put it down. I remember being in my teens and finishing the book in the middle of the night and being too frightened to sleep that I just stayed awake until the sun came up. I read the longer version a couple of years ago and still loved it. I even liked The Stand miniseries that they made out of it. I usually don't like how they butcher Stephen King's books when they turn them into movies but I thought they did a pretty good job on this one. Excellent casting too. M-O-O-N spells terrific.

Heather19
01-24-2009, 08:08 AM

What version have you read, the original, or the uncut?
I was reading the uncut version, but have wondered if next time I should pick up the original instead.

razz
01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
If nothing else, how can this book not deserve an A in character development.
Absolutely, - I gave it all A's, but the A in the middle is really A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++
seconded

obscurejude
01-24-2009, 09:32 AM

What version have you read, the original, or the uncut?
I was reading the uncut version, but have wondered if next time I should pick up the original instead.

I've read both, actually. I preferred the cut version by far. With the exception of some background info on Trashcan Man, I thought the esteemed uncut was unnecessary, and made some of my aforementioned problems stand out even more. (no pun intended) :cyclops:

obscurejude
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
That's interesting Heather. As much as you love It, I would think another epic length multi-character masterpiece like The Stand would appeal to you.

IT is my all time favorite, too, but I just didn't like the Stand very much at all.

jayson
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I definitely prefer the uncut, which I actually consider to be the original as far as how King originally intended it to be read, instead of how the editor decided we should read it. Trashcan Man's story doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the edited so-called 'original' version, but there's more to it than that. I just think the whole thing flows much better without the edits. Different strokes etc...

PPKNexus
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
ABB

I first attempted this one this back in high school and quickly grew frustrated with SK's constant need for excessive detail to set the stage for a scene(yes, I know its usualy setting the stage for a major climax). Needless to say I put it down. I came back to it years later after reading the synopsis and realizing how amazing of a plot it was. Overall, it rocked.

I was however a tad disapointed with the "good side" characters as a whole.

razz
01-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm always disappointed by "good side" characters. they always seem to lack the badass-ness that i enjoy. that's why i prefer reading of anti-heros. like Roland.

ksmithcats
01-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll never forget the first time I saw the cover art on this book and thought, "What the hell's up with Luke Skywalker and the bird dude?"

One of the greatest books of all time.

Jon
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Bah..I wonder if those who don't give this work an "A" for "character development" read only the "cut" version.

obscurejude
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Bah, I wonder if people that complain about votes read the rest of the thread.:rolleyes:

Merlin1958
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Now Now folks!!! lol (and doesn't roll eyes!!!) lol

obscurejude
01-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Jon knows I'm joking, sort of. :evil: :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
obscure,
just curious why you would read both versions of an extremely long book that you didnt like.
Just seems like a waste is all.

obscurejude
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
obscure,
just curious why you would read both versions of an extremely long book that you didnt like.
Just seems like a waste is all.

Its not that I didn't like it at all, I've just come to like it less over time and my opinions of good storytelling have developed since I read it the first time when I was very young. Again, its an alright book, but I don't think its the best thing ever written.

Also, I read the uncut two summers ago so I could critique it a little better and make sure my arguments were sound. I had just graduated college and had nothing but time on my hands.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
fair enough

obscurejude
01-25-2009, 04:53 PM
:)

ManOfWesternesse
01-26-2009, 06:18 AM
AAA. easiest no-brainer vote I'll ever make.