PDA

View Full Version : Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to create a catch-all thread for people to use to post random questions that may not warrant their own thread, or where one can simply post what is on their mind with regards to collecting/books/etc. It can also be used to alert people when you are going on vacation or taking a business trip (whatever) so that we don't worry about your absence. Well, I'm rambling on here, but I just thought a catch all thread might be useful and/or fun.

In my mind at the moment:

I have a big article to write which is due tomorrow and I'm only half done.

I want Bob to post his new "unique" item

Now that the traycases are here for LSOE, I wonder how soon I will see my copies in the mail.

I am working on a potential very cool acquisition that will marry a collectible I already have with another collectible that I did not even know existed until last week (HA! That's all the hint I will give you).

turtlex
01-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Yea, I want Bob to post his unique new item, too!!!

Great idea for a thread, Wiz. A nice catch-all.

carlosdetweiller
01-22-2009, 07:14 AM

I should have it tomorrow. Pics tomorrow or Saturday.

I'm going through some of my collection for a possible upcoming book on King. I'm not at liberty to say anymore about the book except that I have been approached about using some of my collection for illustrations to accompany the text. I was asked about photos of King. I don't really have any but I did remember this one from the January 15, 1970 issue of The Maine Campus. It is one of my all time favorites.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/studydammit.jpg

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Ok, here is a real shocker! I just found out 2 minutes ago that my whole team has been laid off from Credit Suisse. I find out my package in 2 more minutes.

I'll take any good will anybody wants to send me.

17 1/2 years....

Matt
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Holy shit David!

I can't believe that. I'm starting to worry about my damn job.

Are you guys going to be okay?

turtlex
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM
:goodmind: to you David.

Gosh.

TONS OF :GOODMIND: !

Brice
01-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Goodmind to you David. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope everything turns out as best as it can for you, my friend. :couple:

e_taylor
01-22-2009, 07:56 AM
David - I think you accidentally CC'd me on that email and I was just about to PM you, but now that I see you posted here I will offer my shock and sadness here. Thats terrible. Over seventeen years! Hopefully there may be room for lateral movement somewhere in your company, or at the least that your experience will help you land another job quickly. Good luck my friend!

turtlex
01-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Happened at my place of business, in my IT department, last week ( again ). I was spared but not by much. Tough times everywhere.

Sending nothing but positive thoughts and hopes to you, David. So very sorry.

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
It's going to be tough. Not exactly a great environment to find a job as a research analyst. All of Wall Street is laying off thousands of people.

Times are tough.

Fsmdr
01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
That is terrible new, David!.

I am so sorry to hear that. It's such a shock. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gunkslinger
01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry to hear this David. Happened to me two years ago. But don't worry things will work out.

jhanic
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
David, my thoughts and prayers are with you!!

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
My thoughts are with you David. Hope its only a short lay-off and you find something good soon.

at_one
01-22-2009, 08:39 AM
David and everyone else- In times of need I always remember what my Mom has always told me....."All things happen for a reason......"
Good luck with your opportunity, not your hardship.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm going through some of my collection for a possible upcoming book on King. I'm not at liberty to say anymore about the book except that I have been approached about using some of my collection for illustrations to accompany the text. I was asked about photos of King. I don't really have any but I did remember this one from the January 15, 1970 issue of The Maine Campus. It is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks for this info and picture Bob. I look forward to seeing your new item.

Clacke
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Really shocked to hear that terrible news, David. My thoughts are with you.

Daghain
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
David, that's terrible! Lots of goodmind your way!

We are getting our bonuses this year (because they were already accrued for) but raises are off the table for the time being. Since I am a) happy to still have a job and b) way overpaid for what little I actually do, I'm keeping my mouth shut and being happy with what I have.

Matt
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
We have gotten 5% of our yearly salary as a bonus every year for the last 12 years...nothing this year.

sarah
01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
goodmind to you and your family David. :couple:

carlosdetweiller
01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Best of luck for the near future, David. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Ari_Racing
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh David, I'm really sorry to hear that!!! Hope you find something soon!! :(

CRinVA
01-22-2009, 09:51 AM
OMG - I hope they give you a desserving severance and this buys you the time to find Something else equally as good, if not better. I am crossing fingers and toes, tossing some salt over my shoulder, kissing the blarney stone and sending some Irish luck your way! You desserve better!

My company let 10,000 go on Dec 1st, and I hear that was Round One only. I have 23+ years and sighly heavily on Dec 1st and am now worried again. Then again I totally believe that any layoff may very well be a blessing in disguise! My glass is always half full - I hope your is too!

Take care my friend!

CRinVA
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/studydammit.jpg

Bob that is one major effin tease my friend! :-)

Earth's Militant Mind
01-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Wiz, sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope everything works out for you. I hope KA is putting you along a better path and we find you well down the road.

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you for your support everyone. Forgive me if I've posted this elsewhere already...I am being kept on for up to 3 months to help shut down our unit and transition our effort to either the home office or elsewhere overseas. My severance kicks in after that, and given my 17 1/2 years of service, I will get nearly a full paycheck for the better part of a year. This will give me time to find a new job and hopefully the economy and my industry will improve during that time. My industry is presently flooded with people and more cuts are coming to be sure.

So, bottom line is I'm shaken but still standing for the time being.

jhanic
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
That's great news, David. I hope you'll find something soon. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

John

turtlex
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
David - your best asset will always be yourself. I'm sure you'll find something sooner than later. Sending positive thoughts!

herbertwest
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Bob : i remember this picture! It have been published in Stephen King by George Beahm

David : What a shock and a lot of bad news/ good (if can call it good) news all of sudden.. Best wishes in those hard times for everyone!

And i will going on the job market... My girlfriend will try to enter (the fashion industry) by june : it's gonna be tough....

oy-the-brave
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
David I am sorry to hear about you job loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.

PlayPhish
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
David, sorry to hear the news. Looks like you have some breathing room for a little while though. All the best. I guess we'll have ample opportunity to get together now :p

tippy4
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
David,

So sorry to hear your news. I have been where you are at, and I know it sucks.

I have no doubt that a nice guy like yourself will find something in no time at all.

Hannah
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your job, David. But I'm glad you'll be getting the severance package - that should really help. Good luck to you in your job search. :couple:

Rahfa
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Awful news...I know too many people in the same situation...just sucks...

This is not meant lightly AT ALL, but what does this do for your collecting? I know you had a bunch of LSOE orders. Are you still all set with them? I hope you're in good enough shape to not need a big sell off or anything!

It's a cliche, but as long as you have your health, all things pass.

Patrick
01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, here is a real shocker! I just found out 2 minutes ago that my whole team has been laid off from Credit Suisse. I find out my package in 2 more minutes.

I'll take any good will anybody wants to send me.

17 1/2 years....

Thank you for your support everyone. Forgive me if I've posted this elsewhere already...I am being kept on for up to 3 months to help shut down our unit and transition our effort to either the home office or elsewhere overseas. My severance kicks in after that, and given my 17 1/2 years of service, I will get nearly a full paycheck for the better part of a year. This will give me time to find a new job and hopefully the economy and my industry will improve during that time. My industry is presently flooded with people and more cuts are coming to be sure.

So, bottom line is I'm shaken but still standing for the time being.

Holy crap. I am so sorry to hear this, Wiz. Am I doing the math correctly, you'll be paid through 2009? I hope so. That should give you and the family plenty of time to move out here to California. :couple:

Best to you during this time of change. I'm glad that you have a decent cushion of time to re-establish yourself elsewhere. I have no doubt that you'll land on your feet.

Fsmdr
01-22-2009, 06:17 PM
We are all glad to hear of the severance you got. At least they were decent enough to give you that. We have no doubt you'll recover from this in good time.

Daghain
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
*stamps foot*

Now Patrick, we ALL know the best place to live is Colorado. :lol:

Chap
01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Lots of positive thoughts go out to wizardsrainbow.
Tough times indeed, but soon there will only be one way forward - up :)

bast_imret
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that David. Did you have any suspicions that this was coming? That severence pack is pretty good though, and the additional 3 months of prep work will help stretch it out. I'll be sure to send good thoughts your way in the coming months.

Our company (Georgia Pacific) just annouced cuts in the corporate IT staff, but nothing has been announced at the manufacturing mill level yet. There's always the chance in an economy like this, but I still feel pretty safe at this point. We are primarily making retail consumer products and are currently striving to increase our capacity to meet orders. No matter how shitty the economy does, everyone still needs toilet paper :)

Daghain
01-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Georgia Pacific...know anyone at Packaging Corporation of America? :D

wizardsrainbow
01-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Awful news...I know too many people in the same situation...just sucks...

This is not meant lightly AT ALL, but what does this do for your collecting? I know you had a bunch of LSOE orders. Are you still all set with them? I hope you're in good enough shape to not need a big sell off or anything!

It's a cliche, but as long as you have your health, all things pass.

My collection for the most part will remain intact for the present. As some of you know, I have sold off some extra copies or some anthologies that just didn't hold my collector's interest. I have more of that to do, but only because I had already made the decision to do it.

My LSOE order of 7 AEs and 6 S/L stands and I expect to receive those books within the next month, now that the traycases are at Grant. I have 4 complete same-number sets that I am keeping and 2 partial sets that I may try to sell (#32 and #363). If my $$ situation got so bad that I needed to sell books, my core DT collection and remarques would be the last to go. I have many signed 1st trade editions of other King books that I would sell first. I think I could raise considerable $$ just by selling off some of my non-DT stuff.

As for a continuation of collecting, for the past year and a half, I have done a good job of being "collecting neutral," meaning that all my acquisitions have been paid for by sales of other books. It is my intention to continue that strategy.

And to answer Patrick's question (I think it was him...too lazy to look as I type this), my severance package was far better than anyone elses due to my years of dedicated service. I am paid regular way until April 22, then my severance kicks in which works out to virtually a year's salary (although because it comes in a lump sum will be taxed at the highest possible rate :pullhair:). So, net net, I am paid until April 22, 2010. The only major nearer-term concern I have is that my healthcare coverage on my family will expire in October of this year.

Other answer to "Did I suspect this was coming.": I was not totally taken by surprise. When you see so many announcements within my industry (Banking/Finance) of massive job layoffs, and indeed within my own company, you begin to mentally prepare for such an event. So while I WAS surprised that they actually let go my entire unit, I have been talking with my wife about what I would do if I ever got laid off for at least 4 months.

Sorry for the long-winded answers. Never in my mind did I think I would be dominating this thread when I started it yesterday morning. :(

Patrick
01-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I was correct then - I'm glad to hear that you've got such a long period, although the health care component may be the limiting factor in the timeline. We'll be rooting for you, Wiz.

If you're tired of "dominating this thread" and want to change the subject, I've got some news. :)

Daghain
01-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Spill it!

CRinVA
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Well???????????

wizardsrainbow
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Patrick? Calling Patrick. Oh, Patrick.....

Cutter
01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
That stinks Wiz, 17 1/2 years, change is going to be tough. I longest I've stayed at one job is seven years. But it sounds like they were fair and you'll be paid for a year which should be plenty of time to pick and choose where you want to work next. Wish you good luck, and I'm sure you'll have it!

btw, if you are looking to unload a LSOE, I would be very appreciative. My number was over 1250 and I wasn't able to get a book.

Nerak
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
You are all NOT takin David away from me!! He's staying on the east coast! SO BACK OFF!!! Dammit!

Anyway, I will repeat what I said on the phone. Keep your chin up. You got a better deal than most lately who have lost their jobs and you get ALL THAT TIME with your family! OOOOOO I am off in April...counts three months ahead...Wiz will be home, I am coming to visit!!!! WOO HOO!! And if you need help packing all the books from your office, I can help. You won't mind if #32 goes missing, would you? :lol:

And Bob, I am sending you a PM about that project....

Dolan
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey guys !

I am going to CHINA for the Chinese New Year! Yay!!!

So I will be gone until next week - so look for me then!

x

Matt
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Have fun Kenny!!

Patrick
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Have a great time, Kenny! I was in China last October, I look forward to hearing about your trip and where there you went.

Sorry about that, guys. I posted above, then had to get offline because of work.

My personal news:

As many of you know, we have two kids. Come the end of June, we'll have three. :)

jhanic
01-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Congratulations, Patrick!

John

carlosdetweiller
01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I would also like to say "Congratulations!" to you and your wife.

Randall Flagg
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
As many of you know, we have two kids. Come the end of June, we'll have three. :)
Are you adopting?:P

Patrick
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks, John and Bob.

No, Jerome, this kid will have the same misfortune as the other two - half their DNA will come from me. Fortunately that will be balanced out with the much higher quality half they'll all share from their mom.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Have a great time, Kenny! I was in China last October, I look forward to hearing about your trip and where there you went.

Sorry about that, guys. I posted above, then had to get offline because of work.

My personal news:

FamDantastic Patrick.

Please share our congrats with your wife.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

blg
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
My personal news:

Congrats!

Nerak
01-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Um, Patrick..this means you have know for awhile and been holding out :orely: Not fair!!

Congrats!! I think it's a girly girl!!!

Kenny! Have fun! Sounds like a good time!

wizardsrainbow
01-23-2009, 06:31 PM

My personal news:

Heyyyyyyy! Congrats roomie! Uhhhh, I didn't get you preggers when we were in Vegas....did I?:wtf:

The Lady of Shadows
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
wiz you bad, bad boy. :wtf:

bast_imret
01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Ooooo! Another collector coming soon! Congrats! :clap:

oy-the-brave
01-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Congrats Patrick :)

turtlex
01-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Patrick !!!!

Congratulations !!!!

All the best to you and your family! Excellent and wonderful news!

Ari_Racing
01-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!! :thumbsup::dance:

Patrick
01-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the well-wishes.

David, :lol: No, you didn't knock me up in Vegas. We used protection, remember?

Karen, yeah, you got me. We found out in November, but didn't tell many people until after Christmas. We told the boys on Christmas Eve. They are very excited. They'll be 8 (my oldest just turned on Monday) and 6 by the time this next one is born. Her due date is around July 14th, but our babies come early (4-1/2 weeks and 5-1/2 week early), so this one will definitely be here in June. After two boys, if this one is a girl as you predict, there are going to be a couple of very happy grandmothers.

shnnrc01
01-24-2009, 01:15 AM
great news patrick,congrats.

herbertwest
01-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Congratulations for you and your wife Patrick :-)

wizardsrainbow
01-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Today's highlight:

I'm off to see the artist, the wonderful artist of Mid-World (sung to the Wizard of Oz tune)

Because, because, because, because...because of the wonderful things he does!

Gunkslinger
01-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Congrats on the addition Patrick!

bast_imret
01-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Today's highlight:

I'm off to see the artist, the wonderful artist of Mid-World (sung to the Wizard of Oz tune)

Because, because, because, because...because of the wonderful things he does!

No one gets in to see the Artist! Not no one, not no how!

Oh, well I guess the Wizard can :lol:

sarah
01-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats Patrick! :dance:

Matt
01-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Heyyyyyyy! Congrats roomie! Uhhhh, I didn't get you preggers when we were in Vegas....did I?:wtf:

:rofl:

Ahhh...Vegas hook ups

Congratulations Patrick, three kids is quite a challenge. I figure you always just spoil whichever one the other two are pissed at.

Daghain
01-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Matt! :lol:

Congratulations, Patrick! http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Freak279/Happy%20and%20Laughing/688d4eed1db0b768.gif

Patrick
01-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks, you guys.

Matt, thanks for the sage advice! :wtf: Funny 'cause it'll probably be true.

Wiz, say Hi to Michael for all of us, and come back with pictures!

e_taylor
01-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, heres a funny and random story. I have something special on the way in the mail that is Whelan & King related. I was telling my girlfriend about it and she needed a lesson on Michael's history. I pointed out that he did the cover for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album.

Later that night we were at a thrift shop, when what do we find? Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf. After listening to it a few times, I am now tortured by having Paradise (By the Dashboard Light) stuck in my head.

Damn Meat Loaf. :pullhair:

Daghain
01-24-2009, 02:40 PM
:lol:

e_taylor
01-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Just ordered my first Cargo Cult Press lettered book. :rock:

Michael McBride's "Remains". I have heard good things about him, and great things about CCP. I had the limited on order and was thinking if I enjoyed it I'd try to find the lettered. But, well.... try to find a lettered copy of "Population Zero" by Wrath James White. When a few of these came up for pre-order I couldn't resist. I'm sure Gunk will be proud of me!

Cutter
01-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Congrats on the news Patrick!

Ari_Racing
01-25-2009, 08:59 AM
When I was in the Whelan's house, Audrey told us that once Meat Loaf signed in her house for she and Michael :)

nt07077
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Since everyone is sharing news I thought would include mine: I was recently accepted to Florida International University in Miami and to the University of South Florida in Tampa. I can either go to USF for the summer term and stay close to home or I can go to FIU in the fall and possibly get an apartment with my girlfriend. Decisions, decisions........

In collecting news I completed my 2009 goal of getting articles from certain papers (Maine Campus, Enterprise, Drum etc.). I guess I beter start on 2010's goal.....

Cutter
01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Since everyone is sharing news I thought would include mine: I was recently accepted to Florida International University in Miami and to the University of South Florida in Tampa. I can either go to USF for the summer term and stay close to home or I can go to FIU in the fall and possibly get an apartment with my girlfriend. Decisions, decisions........

In collecting news I completed my 2009 goal of getting articles from certain papers (Maine Campus, Enterprise, Drum etc.). I guess I beter start on 2010's goal.....
Congrats! I would suggest going away for school. When your at college, it's nice to be on your own and living in your own community (the campus).

Patrick
01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Geoff.

Congratulations, nt, it's good to have choices. :thumbsup:

Scoogs
01-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Congrats Patrick!

Wiz, hang in there. Sounds like you got a great package that will help keep you and the family afloat and give you a good amount of time to find another job.

Gunkslinger
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Just ordered my first Cargo Cult Press lettered book. :rock:

Michael McBride's "Remains". I have heard good things about him, and great things about CCP. I had the limited on order and was thinking if I enjoyed it I'd try to find the lettered. But, well.... try to find a lettered copy of "Population Zero" by Wrath James White. When a few of these came up for pre-order I couldn't resist. I'm sure Gunk will be proud of me!

No doubt you will be happy with either a lettered or limited "Remains" and if you buy a lettered "Market Adjustment", you will be positively amazed! Cargo Cult Press is on the cutting edge. Brian has his ducks in a row.

gsvec
01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Ooo - a new thread to subscribe to! :lol:

Huge congrats, Patrick! Gotta love the news of a new collector!!

And David, I've been there and it's true - everything happens for a reason. I got laid off a few years back after over 21 years and it was actually a blessing in disguise. I found a job I liked better, moved back to the midwest from NJ to be closer to my family, and haven't looked back! The one downside, though, is that if I hadn't been laid off I could've retired last year with a full pension. And seriously consider paying the $$ for COBRA if it gets to the point you're without benefits. Costly, but it saved my butt (long story). Hopefully, though, that won't happen!

wizardsrainbow
01-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Okay, heres a funny and random story. I have something special on the way in the mail that is Whelan & King related. I was telling my girlfriend about it and she needed a lesson on Michael's history. I pointed out that he did the cover for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album.

Later that night we were at a thrift shop, when what do we find? Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf. After listening to it a few times, I am now tortured by having Paradise (By the Dashboard Light) stuck in my head.

Oooooo, Eric, you will have to share when you get it. Hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I meah eh? (Monty Python reference)

herbertwest
01-26-2009, 06:02 AM
This seems to be a topic about everyone's mood:

I am really f***ing PISSED OF against a scottish university, where I graduated last year.
In theory I graduated, but they were supposed to send me my diploma after the 20th of November : I dont have it... although I recieve alumni documents...

From today i'll nag them on the phone every 3 days, and if i DONT HAVE it in exactly 3 weeks, i'll write a letter to the head of the uni. (thanks for the idea Ari when u said you'll write a letter to King about CD)

I will need it to apply to master's degrees in Paris...

e_taylor
01-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Oooooo, Eric, you will have to share when you get it. Hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I meah eh? (Monty Python reference)

Keep your eyes on the New Pride and Joy thread. You should like it, thats for sure. Hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I meah eh? 8)

Or on second thought in the vein of Meat Loaf I could always say:

Let me sleep on it
Davy, Davy
Let me sleep on it.
Davy, Davy
Let me sleep on it -
I'll give you an answer in the morning!

gsvec
01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
:lol: Love the Davy/Baby thing! :D

wizardsrainbow
01-27-2009, 03:27 AM
:wtf: Eric, you are a riot!

Looking forward to your show and tell.

Ari_Racing
01-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Today is my birthday and I've just received directly from the publisher, for free, Stephen King goes to the movies :)

And my girlfriend gave me, among several things, Secret Windows in dvd :excited:

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2009, 07:04 AM
you ever notice that you never hear the song 'let's get physical' at the doctor's office?

Patrick
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Ari, congrats on your book from the publisher. Is it the new trade paperback? Or the upcoming limited hardcover?

Also, I moved the birthday greeting posts into their own thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7109)for you. :)

Ari_Racing
01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
:) Thanks Patrick!

Just the regular paperback edition.

jhanic
01-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I probably won't be around on the boards here for the next few days/weeks. My mother passed away this evening and, as executor of her estate, I'll be busy doing other things. I'll try to stop by occasionally, though, just to take my mind off things.

John

Randall Flagg
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
John,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother.

Sincerely,

Jerome Smith

gsvec
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
John, I'm so sorry. Know we're here for you if you need us. My heartfelt condolences. :rose:

Scoogs
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
John, you have my condolences and prayers.

Fsmdr
01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
John, I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

sarah
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Goodmind to you and your family, John

~sarah

alinda
01-27-2009, 08:22 PM
John, you are in my prayers , such a loss my sincerest sympathy:grouphug:we're here for you(((hug)))

oy-the-brave
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry for your loss John, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-27-2009, 11:04 PM
John, condolences to you and your family. My prayers are with you.

Ari_Racing
01-28-2009, 02:13 AM
My prayers are with you and your family, John. I'm sorry to hear that :(

All the best wishes my friend.

herbertwest
01-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Sincere condoleances John

Jean
01-28-2009, 02:25 AM
My condolence and prayers, and come back soon, bears miss you even though we hardly ever talk!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, John. Please take care of yourself and your family. I hope to see you back here shortly.

turtlex
01-28-2009, 02:48 AM
I probably won't be around on the boards here for the next few days/weeks. My mother passed away this evening and, as executor of her estate, I'll be busy doing other things. I'll try to stop by occasionally, though, just to take my mind off things.

John

John -

My deepest and most sincere sympathies to you and your family. I'm very sorry for your loss.

~ Pam

Gunkslinger
01-28-2009, 03:13 AM
John,

Sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Mike

wizardsrainbow
01-28-2009, 03:27 AM
John-

Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family from me and mine.
I am so sorry for your news.

Pasiuk57
01-28-2009, 04:59 AM
John
Sorry to hear about your loss.
My mother passed away a few years ago and it is a hard time.
My condolences to you and your family.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-28-2009, 05:48 AM
John,

Condolences to you and your family.

Thoughts, prayers & hugs being sent your way.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

shnnrc01
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
very sorry for your loss john.best wishes.

Matt
01-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother John, I hope you and your family are doing okay.

jhanic
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. They are MUCH appreciated.

John

Ari_Racing
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Can anyone post some pics of the Cycle of the werewolf portfolio?
Thanks!

nt07077
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, John. Best wishes.
Tony.

Randall Flagg
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks!
Ari, all of the illustrations are here in the King Illustrations Catalog [/URL]here are the COTW pics:
[URL="http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1515"]Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1157)

I am still puzzled, but believe the portfolio did NOT have an original drawing by Berni Wrightson tipped in.
Only the first 100 (Plus the ~8 presentation state-did those have a tipped in piece?) had a pencil sketches added. Most if not all were of a werewolf's face as seen here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Cycle_Sketch.JPG

Room 217 Caretaker
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks!
Ari, all of the illustrations are here in the King Illustrations Catalog [/URL]here are the COTW pics:
[URL="http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1515"]Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1157)

I am still puzzled, but believe the portfolio did NOT have an original drawing by Berni Wrightson tipped in.
Only the first 100 (Plus the ~8 presentation state-did those have a tipped in piece?) had a pencil sketches added. Most if not all were of a werewolf's face as seen here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Cycle_Sketch.JPG

RF is correct. I own S/L #70 with matching #70 portfolio. The original drawing is only with the book. Not the portfolio.

Here is my wolf

Each wolf has subtle differences

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Only the first 100 (Plus the ~8 presentation state-did those have a tipped in piece?) had a pencil sketches added.

To my knowledge the presentation states did not have an original drawing.

Ari_Racing
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks!

Any chance someone could post a pic of the portfolio closed and how it looks like?
Thanks!

Patrick
01-29-2009, 12:31 AM

John

John,

I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. A prayer of comfort for you and your family. I hope you all find peace, humor, and warmth in sharing your memories of her.

- Patrick

Randall Flagg
01-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Any chance someone could post a pic of the portfolio closed and how it looks like?
Thanks!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Cycle_Portfolio.JPG

Ari_Racing
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks Jerome!

Chooch
01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
John,
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Please be well and know that people here are praying for you and your family. Blessing's and Light to you.....

Dolan
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Yikes John.. thats so sad to hear. Please take care of yourself and we are here when you are ready to come back....!

jhanic
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Kenny. I appreciate it!

John

Ves'Ka Gan
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
John--I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers & thoughts are with you & your family.

jhanic
02-05-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks, Ves. Her passing was a surprise, but not a shock. She'd been in bad shape for a long time.

John

wizardsrainbow
02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Well, my oldest boy turned 16 yesterday! In addition to the regular birthday stuff we do (each family member writes a letter to the bithday person), my wife and I wanted to honor him in a special way, as 16 is a pivotal year. Without his knowledge she solicited written birthday letters/wishes/observations from all of our extended family members, his best friends and members of our "community" and mounted each on a separate page in a scrapbook. It was fantastic and very moving.

My part as the dad was to create something that acknowledges his steps toward manhood. I wanted to share it here with you all (I left out some specific names, but it doesn't diminish the idea). Here is what I said:

"Now at 16 years of age, you stand on the threshold of being a man. Over the centuries, different cultures have performed various rite of passeage ceremonies on young men as they came of age.

I have drawn on my own heritage and past experiences to create a brief ritual to welcome you to early manhood on this significant day, your 16th birthday.

My maternal grandfather years ago researched the family name and symbols. One symbol that stood out was 4 crows on the family crest/coat of arms. When I was 18 years old and at Drake University, he brought together my generation's 4 crows for an Iowa State football weekend. Those 4 crows were myself, my brother and my only two male cousins. Now that I have 3 children, a new generation of the 4 crows has come into being: me, you and your brother and sister.

As you move forward into adulthood, I would tell you that life needs and requires men of different temperaments, talents and convictions. One of the principle foundations of the fraternity which I joined in college and that I have embraced and carried with me my entire life as an adult I now share with you. One should always strive to be:

A man of good character
A student of fair ability
With ambitious purposes
A congenial disposition
Possessed of good morals
Having a high sense of honor, and
A deep sense of personal responsibility

As a man, you can maintain your own beliefs and still fit into this world without surrendering the principle of individuality or sacrificing one's personal judgement. With that, I want to share a poem with you that has had a significant impact in my life: <At this point I have him pick up a mirror and look at himself>

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want, in your struggle for self,
and the world makes you king for a day,
just go to a mirror and look at yourself
and see what that man has to say.

Although there are others in life's pathway
upon whose judgement you must pass,
the fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
is the man staring back from the glass.

You may win all the medals and snow all the rest
and think you're a wonderful guy,
but the man in the glass says you're only a fraud
if you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the one to please, after all's said and done,
for he's with you clear up to the end.
And you've passed a most dangerous, difficult test
if the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
and get pats on the back as you pass,
but your final reward will be heartaches and tears
if you've cheated the man in the glass.

So, congratulations on turning 16 and as you move foward into life, move with Purpose, Strength and Character.

I love you always,

Dad

Randall Flagg
02-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Very touching David. Your son is fortunate to have such wonderful parents and family.

Chooch
02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Very nice David. More sons and daughters should be so lucky as to have the words of their father's Father's impressed upon them.

I say Thankee sai David on those words to the future man

Pasiuk57
02-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Just thought I would name a guy in the UK that if anyone buys from who has done a great job for me.
His name is Steve Sargent. I bought some Colorado Kid items from him and he is TOTALLY to be trusted.
Just an fyi in case anyone deals with him.
One of the good guys!

wizardsrainbow
02-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Just thought I would name a guy in the UK that if anyone buys from who has done a great job for me.
His name is Steve Sargent. I bought some Colorado Kid items from him and he is TOTALLY to be trusted.
Just an fyi in case anyone deals with him.
One of the good guys!

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Matt
02-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, my oldest boy turned 16 yesterday! In addition to the regular birthday stuff we do (each family member writes a letter to the bithday person), my wife and I wanted to honor him in a special way, as 16 is a pivotal year. Without his knowledge she solicited written birthday letters/wishes/observations from all of our extended family members, his best friends and members of our "community" and mounted each on a separate page in a scrapbook. It was fantastic and very moving.

My part as the dad was to create something that acknowledges his steps toward manhood. I wanted to share it here with you all (I left out some specific names, but it doesn't diminish the idea). Here is what I said:

"Now at 16 years of age, you stand on the threshold of being a man. Over the centuries, different cultures have performed various rite of passeage ceremonies on young men as they came of age.

I have drawn on my own heritage and past experiences to create a brief ritual to welcome you to early manhood on this significant day, your 16th birthday.

My maternal grandfather years ago researched the family name and symbols. One symbol that stood out was 4 crows on the family crest/coat of arms. When I was 18 years old and at Drake University, he brought together my generation's 4 crows for an Iowa State football weekend. Those 4 crows were myself, my brother and my only two male cousins. Now that I have 3 children, a new generation of the 4 crows has come into being: me, you and your brother and sister.

As you move forward into adulthood, I would tell you that life needs and requires men of different temperaments, talents and convictions. One of the principle foundations of the fraternity which I joined in college and that I have embraced and carried with me my entire life as an adult I now share with you. One should always strive to be:

A man of good character
A student of fair ability
With ambitious purposes
A congenial disposition
Possessed of good morals
Having a high sense of honor, and
A deep sense of personal responsibility

As a man, you can maintain your own beliefs and still fit into this world without surrendering the principle of individuality or sacrificing one's personal judgement. With that, I want to share a poem with you that has had a significant impact in my life: <At this point I have him pick up a mirror and look at himself>

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want, in your struggle for self,
and the world makes you king for a day,
just go to a mirror and look at yourself
and see what that man has to say.

Although there are others in life's pathway
upon whose judgement you must pass,
the fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
is the man staring back from the glass.

You may win all the medals and snow all the rest
and think you're a wonderful guy,
but the man in the glass says you're only a fraud
if you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the one to please, after all's said and done,
for he's with you clear up to the end.
And you've passed a most dangerous, difficult test
if the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
and get pats on the back as you pass,
but your final reward will be heartaches and tears
if you've cheated the man in the glass.

So, congratulations on turning 16 and as you move foward into life, move with Purpose, Strength and Character.

I love you always,

Dad

That was so touching and beautiful David. I have a son turning 16 this year, I think your families tradition is wonderful.

Fsmdr
02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
That is a very touching and well said, David. Your son is a very lucky boy.

Ari_Racing
02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Very touchy and nice written. Say happy birthday to him. :)

Gunkslinger
02-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Spring has come to New England, at least in my view. My son who is 11 helped me tap the Sugar Maples in the front yard.

PlayPhish
02-08-2009, 10:36 AM
I wish I had your 'view' Gunskslinger. Until I see green grass and green trees here in CT there is no Spring. The weather is 'nice' today though. I do use that word loosely.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Our Spring lambs have been born over the last week.

Patrick
02-08-2009, 01:35 PM
David, excellent letter to your son!

In Hoc Signo Vinces! ;)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-08-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/khs.jpg

Patrick
02-08-2009, 04:29 PM
:lol: That's not the badge that David was wearing back in college, but I understand your point.

Gunkslinger
02-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I wish I had your 'view' Gunskslinger. Until I see green grass and green trees here in CT there is no Spring. The weather is 'nice' today though. I do use that word loosely.

It was nice in CT on Sunday, although a bit breezy, but when the sap is flowing I know that winter's back is broken.

AlishaRiley
02-09-2009, 04:10 AM

It was nice in CT on Sunday, although a bit breezy, but when the sap is flowing I know that winter's back is broken.

You guys count yourselves lucky,
it's been nothing but snow for the past week for us!
It's pretty much cleared up now, though, and the sunshine's forcing it's way through a little.

wizardsrainbow
02-09-2009, 04:50 AM

In Hoc Signo Vinces! ;)

Patrick, are you a Sigma Chi?

wizardsrainbow
02-09-2009, 05:01 AM
:lol: That's not the badge that David was wearing back in college, but I understand your point.

This is the one:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/badge.jpg

jhanic
02-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I just got this from Rocky Wood:

Friends
My state, places I have visited only an hour from home, burnt on Saturday. I suppose you have seen it on your TV news but, if you've never seen the ferocity of an Australian bushfire, it probably seems like a movie.
Some 140 odd of my fellow citizens died, most of them trying to escape a sudden, ferocious attack by Mother Nature.
Please take some time to contemplate this horror - my friends and I in the horror community create fantasies that can never match this reality - we would never want them to.
Join me in supporting those who have lost family, friends, colleagues, pets and in many cases everything they own and hold precious. And remember those you do love and those who love you - we can lose them all too easily.
Rocky
Donate at http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

Mods, if you want to move this elsewhere, feel free to do so. I didn't know where else to put it.

John

Patrick
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that, John. I think it's fine right where you posted, but we'll let Matt decide if it should be moved elsewhere.

Alisha: Welcome to the Corner!

Patrick
02-09-2009, 05:18 PM

In Hoc Signo Vinces! ;)
I am.

Apparently we roomed together for a sordid weekend of debauchery never discovering that we are brothers.

This is the one:

I have that same badge at home. :thumbsup:

Where did you go to college, David?

Daghain
02-09-2009, 06:57 PM

In Hoc Signo Vinces! ;)
I am.

Apparently we roomed together for a sordid weekend of debauchery never discovering that we are brothers.

There are so many things I want to say about this I don't know where to start. :lol:

gsvec
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
:rofl:

Patrick
02-09-2009, 11:17 PM
;) :D

wizardsrainbow
02-10-2009, 04:24 AM

In Hoc Signo Vinces! ;)
I am.

This is the one:

I have that same badge at home. :thumbsup:

Where did you go to college, David?

:rock: Somehow, I just knew it...with your boyish good looks, had to be a brother!

Patrick, I did my undergrad at Drake University in Des Moines Iowa (yes there are more than just corn and cows there). Actually, I am a charter member of the Theta Gamma chapter and was Consul just before we went national.

Patrick
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
...:rock: Somehow, I just knew it...with your boyish good looks, had to be a brother!

Patrick, I did my undergrad at Drake University in Des Moines Iowa (yes there are more than just corn and cows there). Actually, I am a charter member of the Theta Gamma chapter and was Consul just before we went national.
Excellent. I was a charter member as well - of the Theta Omicron chapter at U.C. Davis.

e_taylor
02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1984-Headhunter-by-Michael-Slade-1stEdit-VP_W0QQitemZ200308710668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fict ion_Books?hash=item200308710668&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

How does everyone like this description?! :lol:

On a related note - everyone should read that book!!

Randall Flagg
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Looks like a translation to me.

e_taylor
02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks like a translation to me.

Good call. I didn't even think of that. I just thought it was an interesting way to describe a book!

e_taylor
02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Got tickets to see this play on March 4th: http://www.grandtheatre.com/main_stage.php?sid=5

I'm hoping it will be good!

turtlex
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Just incase you might not venture into the Comic Tower - Bernie Wrightson is going to be at a Comic Con in California this coming weekend.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7343

tippy4
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Fellow Collectors.

I am going to a book siging on Saturday for Dan Simmons new book DROOD.

I am willing to get five inscribed copies of this book for the members here for $45 each shipped (USA only....sorry).

For every book purchased, $10 will be donated to this websites Haven Foundation Fundraiser.

PM me if if you want one!

wizardsrainbow
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Just incase you might not venture into the Comic Tower - Bernie Wrightson is going to be at a Comic Con in California this coming weekend.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7343

I would love to have a Grant 1st edition of Wolves signed by Bernie. I keep missing them on eBay. Yes, I have the Artists Edition but I want a trade edition signed by him.

CRinVA
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh my mood thingy up top says I am Angry - Damn Right I'm angry! Why you might ask - then again you might just stay away form me - after all I am angry!!!!!

So about 7 months ago my company (100,000+ employees) which does mostly IT Services was bought by another big compnay (100,000+ employees) which mostly sells IT Stuff! It was bad enough when they took away the retirement program and told us to invest more in a 401K and that they would do some matching dollars. It turned out to be less than my current 401K and retirement plans combined. So then in Dec they announce work force reductiosn of 24,000 employees and oh yeah a freeze on salary actions! My temp is going up, but I am still employed!.

Yesterday I come to work and there is a big lenghtly email from the big guy, the CEO of the new bigger company (200,000+ employees). He starts telling about 1st Quarter financials and how teriffic his new services division (that's us from the old company) is doing, but how poorly the rest of the company is doing! Company did earn over a $1B (yes that's a B as in Billion) but I guess that is not enough for Wall Street! His solution - let's cut every ones pay. He agrees to cut his own base pay (key word is base) by 20% which amounts to a $300K cut - a helluva lot more than us workers make and it's just his Cut! By the time the cut rolls down to the workerbees its 5% which means I move back to a salary I had 4 years ago - I have been waiting on a salary action but the freeze was in place! Temp gets higher!

OK he (the big guy) decides to do this to save jobs - on its own merit that is teriffic. This is about where it stops being teriffic! Further analysis shows that the big guy makes $1.5M base pay but also gets $42M annually in bonuses, incentives, stocks and stock options! Gee his $300K cut - he won't even notice it. My 5% cut I'll notice - I have one daughter getting married and three children in college; housing costs in the DC area are through the roof - yep I'll miss the 5% cut! Temp up to about 210 degrees!

Now to add insult to injury - he also says they are revamping the company contribution to the 401K. Currently they match 100% upto 1st 4% you put in, monthly; new plan will be 100% but evaluated quarterly and if the quarter financials are not great then they can reduce the match to as much as NO FUCKING MATCH! 211 degrees and about to blow a gasket!

So our beloved leader continues to live his life of luxury, making more money than he can ever spend; taking vacation trips (I better be quiet here as they may be the next to go) to exotic places and watching his favorite TV shows on his 100" Plazma, which the company probalby built and gave him for free anyway! I get to eat bologna sandwhiches for lunch and am thinking about a weekend job - oh I already have one weekend job - I guess this would be a weekend night job! Wifey going to have to get another job too!

What really frosts my ass is that my account which is a $10B deal all in of itself is operating on a 28% margin right now and all us (former self sustaing service company) are taking a pay hit to cover the asses of the rest of the pre-acquisition company's bad business practices! Oh yeah, the big guy also says that the pay for performance plan is still in effect! Huh? He says that if you perform well that you will get the reward back in your bonus at year end. I got a bonus once - I think it was back in the 20th Century! really! Oh the dreaded B word - there are no stinking Bonuses for the work force - they all go to the fat, dumb and happy managers who sit in their offices and surf the net and play solitaire on their really nice computers with the 24" flat panel screens while I work the spreadsheets and emails and access databases on my laptop with its screen about the size of my two fists, which are really clecnhed tightly right now!

Sorry I think I just hit 212 degrees! Steam is gushing out of my ears now - brain molecules are separating and gushing out my ears at a pacec faster than the big guys savigns account balance climbs. Dammit I can't see the spreadsheet in front of me and my updates are due in ten minutes!

Yeah I'm angry! real angry! Guess I better buy a Lotto ticket on the way home. it might be the best investment I make all year! :-)

herbertwest
02-20-2009, 10:45 AM
:beat:

Wish you and everyone affected by the crisis, the best!

Daghain
02-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Welcome to Corporate America.

That totally sucks, Bob.

jhanic
02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Bob, that really sucks. I REALLY hate it when they stick it to the little guys like that.

John

at_one
02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Bob- that totally sucks.

To put it in perspective- I wish I had a job in which my wages got cut. I was laid off 1 year ago this coming Wednesday. I worked for a company for 11 years and they consolidated my sales route into the other 5 in my state. They then offered me 2 options- severance package or a part time position for $10.50/ hour. Pretty sweet, huh? So here I sit sending resumes and writing cover letters for the past 51 weeks. I have had 3 interviews for 1 position in the last 2 weeks and I am praying for a job offer by the end of next week- all of this for a position in which is going to pay me close to 1/2 of my previous annual salary. AND I am actually happy and excited about this.

Basically what I am trying to say is this- it could be way worse!

Good luck to all on these boards that are being affected by these tough times, I am sure we will all pull through this with many lessons learned......

CRinVA
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh belive me I am happy to have a job right now! Really!

It just torks me that my account does so god dam good and they are using us as fodder to cover up their messes. I wouldn't feel so angry if I was on an account that brought in a mil or two, but my account is huge - $1B annually.

And of course the executives that shine now matter what - kind of like all the wall street bonuses paid out last year for executives that helped tank our economy in the first place.

I recently read that the CEO of Circuit City was getting a big bonus and his company is in bankruptcy and now is totally shutting their doors and laying off everyone!!!!! It just ins't fair now is it! his millions should be spread out amongs the workers that are going to have a tough time meeting their mortgages and feeding their families!

turtlex
02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
ditto and ditto again on the situation, Bob. Total suckage.

Wishing you the best.

My job is likely going to do another round of lay-offs before summer ( oh, I'm sorry, they call the layoffs - a Reduction In Force... a RIF ).

wizardsrainbow
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
sorry for your troubles Bob. :pullhair:

Ari_Racing
02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Bob. :(

willie3
02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Wow, very sorry to hear that Bob.

My company told us just after Christmas there would be no salary increases, typically 3% to 7%.

Still don't know about Incentive Compensation, hopefully by March 1st.

But I am still employed, so I got that goin' for me.

But we are bailing out the rich people with our tax dollars.
Still don't get it...

willie3
02-22-2009, 01:24 PM
One more thing before I sign off...

Anyone headed to Daytona for Bike Week this year?

I am trying for a couple of days off, haven't been on the Harley in MONTHS.

PM me if you are, would love to buy you a beer (or three).

PS. Here is mine
www.youtube.com/watch?v=15joADaNbxE

Patrick
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Hang in there, Bob.

Have a good time in Daytona, Willie.

CRinVA
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks to all for kind words! Especially coming form those also affected by today's wonderful economy. Isn't everyone!

I am still angry of course - suspect I'll change that is a day or two!

I vented and it felt good.

And Turtlex - at my place its called a WFR - Work Force Reduction! :-(

wizardsrainbow
02-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Generally I'm still upbeat but some days, you know, you just get hit with a case of the gloomies. I have 3 1/2 weeks left in the office to wrap things up and then for the first time in my entire life, I have nowhere to go when I wake up in the morning. Jobs in my field are pretty scarce these days, and I have sent out my resume to 15 potential opportunities and not a single hit. Word on Wall Street is that there are 200-300 resumes for nearly every position that is posted. I'm good, but how do you compete with that! :pullhair:

turtlex
02-24-2009, 04:53 AM
David - We're all pulling for you. Wish there was something we could do, besides send positive thoughts.

Pasiuk57
02-24-2009, 05:01 AM
I just got back from Germany after being there for 14 days and the mood there is extremely bad also. Saab bankruptcy and Opel is in a world of hurt. They could go under easily if GM does not bail them out. Mercedes said they will not help. Everywhere I went the topic of Economic Crisis was at the tip of everyone's tongue. I will say this though, the Germans LOVE Obama. Every hourly news report tops the list with news about him.
Dave, I feel bad for you. Our company is doing well so far. I am in charge of heaters, generators and some other categories that have done remarkably well this year. BUT the other 5 guys at my level are all double digit negative in sales for the year (Our year starts on August 1). My stuff is up about many Millions since August due to power outages and great heater selling season. We layed off a few people but if sales do not pick up I would guess it would be a lot more. These are very bad times and I hope we come out of it soon but every day brings more bad news. I hate to even talk about my 401K-no longer being matched but just the dollars lost. We can only hope it climbs again....

wizardsrainbow
02-24-2009, 05:15 AM
I REALLY appreciate the positive support from everyone (spoken, written, or just held within themselves).

It is hard not to get depressed when you read all the headlines about the economic crisis, ESPECIALLY since it is affecting the entire world economy, not just a region like North America. There is no place out there to help pull the others out of crisis. There have been many comparisons of this current recession to the Great Depression, or calling this recession the Great Recession, and I see just how badly this machine is really broken...Obama is but one man. We used to be able to consume and spend our way back to economic prosperity (or God forbid, a major war). That model is totally broken, in my opinion. There will have to be some radical changes in behaviors, on the part of government, business and consumers to get back on a growth track again. In short, we face a new way of growing the world economy...change of that sort is going to take some time.

Sorry for the rant.

e_taylor
02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I work in a camera store, and luckily we haven't noticed too much of a drop off yet. Our target customer makes enough money that they haven't really felt the pinch yet. However, as a preemptive move, right after Christmas they cut the store hours by 15 per week.

Where I've noticed the worst effects are in my investments. All through high school I busted my ass saving money for University, and invested it only in stable stocks. I had more than enough to pay for all of my education, but in the last six months I've lost about $7000 - more than a years worth of tuition!

Small beans compared to what many are facing, I know, but I'm in a situation I haven't been in for a few years where I need to save about 90% of my income. This economy thing really sucks, eh?

ladysai
02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Eh, I am getting old.
Here I am off of work on Fat Tuesday, sitting peacefully at home instead of carousing the French Quarter with some pleasantly crazy friends.
The insanity and frenetic energy of the Mardi Gras lost its lustre while my hair was greying, I guess.

Patrick
02-25-2009, 12:29 AM
David, you know I work for a bank as well and you know which one. If there's ever anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Mike, glad to hear your business is up at least for the time being. Eric, best to you in the tuition department.

On a side note I quit opening my 401(k) statements six months ago. I'll wait 'til the economy turns around again.

herbertwest
02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Being a non-american I didnt understand what was that 401(k) that some of you mentionned a few times.
By searching it up i've just understood that it's the retirement plan (further details on wiki)

turtlex
02-25-2009, 04:20 AM
On a side note I quit opening my 401(k) statements six months ago. I'll wait 'til the economy turns around again.

This is excellent advice. I lost about 20% of mine last year. :pullhair:

This year, I'm not looking.

CRinVA
02-25-2009, 07:39 AM
I took my 401K and redistributed ALL the cash into low interest earning bonds - at least I am no longer losing money! Being conservative is a good thing right now.

turtlex
02-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Bob - I keep going back and forth about doing that... I mean, its after the fact kind of loss, so I was advised ( granted, it was from friends, etc ) to leave it where it was....

.... Ugh.

And did I mention : :pullhair:

jhanic
02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
When I left my main full-time job, I transferred my 401K to a self-directed IRA. Since then. I've tracked my retirement monies DAILY. I've been doing this for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, I lost the first three years' worth of data, but I've got daily records of my and my wife's retirement monies for the past seven years. I still watch it daily (in between watching CNBC and Bloomberg). I'm down about 39% from my all-time high, October 9, 2007, and am down about 7.5% for the year. Actually, that's not too bad in the scheme of things. My wife and I actually stopped working for money about five years ago and we have not had to touch our retirement savings. My wife was a teacher and with her generous pension, my pension and my Social Security, we have been living off that. And I even am able to spend money for my collection!

John

Scoogs
02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Not bad John, sounds like you planned well.

I've dodged the "layoff" bullet twice this month. Unfortunately at my place of employment, when they say layoff, it's not actually a layoff. You simply no longer have a job. I've been there 8 years this May and I'm the only person I know of who's ever been brought back.
While I dodged the bullet, most of the people I worked closely with did not. I'm the only one left with any sort of graphics background. Not fun, that's for sure.

CRinVA
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Bob - I keep going back and forth about doing that... I mean, its after the fact kind of loss, so I was advised ( granted, it was from friends, etc ) to leave it where it was....

.... Ugh.

And did I mention : :pullhair:

For the lognest time I sat and watched. I was told you're in it for the duration - it will come back. Normally that is what I would do, however, there becomes a point when the recovery period is too long to matter. I decided to cut my losses. Three years ago my 401K was worth twice what it is worth now and I have continued to put 10% of my pay into it through this period - so actually its more than a 50% loss. It would be 50% if I had not added to the value on a pay period by pay period basis!

When stocks start making money - eventually that will happen - and I am sure of it I will move my funds around. BUT for now I am playing it very very conservative. I simply cannot afford to lose any more. When HP bought my company (EDS) company contributions to my pension stopped. In my situation that retirement fund will now only continue to grow through interest earnings. I can only hope that money is there when I need it. HP's philosophy is that you control your own retirement and thus you better fund it through the 401K. For those that don't know when I refer to pension I am NOT talking about my 401K (which I fund out of my pay) - I am talking about the traditional pension plan that most large companies USED to fund as part of a benefit package.

At one point I would have liked to retire early - say at 55 years old - well that didn't happen - and now normal retirement age (for baby boomers anyway) at 65 years old may not happen! It appears that the Twilight Years are getting shorter and shorter - that would be OK if I were in a job that I loved. But, unfortunately I don't love my job - the stress levels are tremendous; the 90 minute each way commute tolls hard; the cost of living in the Washington DC Metroplitan area is high - all leaving less and less time for family which is way more important to me.

I have on more than one occcassion considered selling my entire collection (as meager as it is as compared to some I see here) to help with expenses. Problem is it would earn me much less today than it would have a couple of years ago and in today's market it might only get me a handful of mortgage payments! And it's my passion, BUT my family will come first. :-)

I know these are tough times for many of here, and tougher still for the thousands and thousands that are less fortunate than me. I am grateful for having a job, for my wife having a job, for having our health, for having a home and always having food on the table and all the necessities of life and many of the nice-to-haves too, for having four successful kids, and for having such great and considerate and compasionate and understanding friends and family here at the darktowerdotcom!

turtlex
02-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Bob - I so completely understand. What you're describing sounds so familiar!! Gosh, I haven't seen a company ( at least around here ) offering an actual pension in more than 10 years.

I feel your pain on the job situation, as well. I also have a job that, though being good at, I'm not too fond of. My commute, however, is a more managable 40 minutes or so, each way ( at 5am ). I suspect, with the recent layoffs, etc, my ticket may be up next, or soon after.

Why can't we all just get jobs collecting Sai King?!? :grouphug:

Chooch
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Bob I am going to say a novina for you....I live in the Detroit area and with the big 3 just about to go under everywhere you look its bad out there. They had a corupt mayor and I suppose a few on the city counsil as well. Crime of robbery is on the rise and I just read the other day where liquor sales are up 53%(not beer but hard stuff) and what does our good state want to do about that..why raise the taxes on it of course. It's no wonder why completly sane people lose it and go postal. I (Thank God) work for a Mom & Pop that treat me well, there are no talks of lay off (yet) and we are hoping that it wont come to that but I will be willing to take a pay cut vs a lay off. I'm no spring chicken anymore so getting back into the job market would be a big P.I.T.A. (pain in the ass). I am down 80% in my stocks, 43% in my 401k and my house has lost 10% in its value. This SUCKS :pullhair:

wizardsrainbow
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
No question it is UGLY out there, and like Bob (and others), I am blessed with my family and lots of support from my "community." I have worked hard in my career for the last 25 years and have lived a "privileged" life some would say if you compared me to others. However, early in my career, I remember vividly living on a very strict budget, where I had to decide whether I could afford to buy a pizza for myself on a Friday night. But I come from good Midwest stock and parents that taught me to always appreciate what you have...never take anything for granted.

I never though I would fast be approaching 50 years of age and be SERIOUSLY worried about my and my family's financial future. In addition to having just lost my job, I have been twice cut off at the knees on my pension. First, Credit Suisse decided to close the subsidiary I used to work at (where the pension originated). The magic number of years of service to qualify for a full pension at retirement was 20 years. I have almost 18, so I was denied a full pension. What's more, because of the way pension calculation is done, the last few years to 20 are the most critical in terms of getting you to 100%...it's not an even distribution kinda thing. So getting cut off at 17+ years left me at about a 65% pension, a far cry from the 100% I was so hoping for. The second nail in my pension coffin was that because I transfered within my company, I still had a chance of accruing enough service that while it would not get me any more $$, it would enable me to collect at age 60 instead of 65. Well, my being laid off last month prevented that from happening too. :pullhair:

As for my 401K, house etc., I'm pretty screwed like mosty other people. My 401K has lost close to 40%, my home value has fallen 35% from the top, and my King collection is worth a pittance of what it was formerly. Despite all of that and the bleak prospects of finding a new job in my area of expertise in this market, I remain generally cheerful and savor the positives that I do have in my life. I still am blessed with quite a lot and am truly thankful.

jhanic
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I remain generally cheerful and savor the positives that I do have in my life. I still am blessed with quite a lot and am truly thankful.

Very well said, David.

John

Daghain
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Bob I am going to say a novina for you....I live in the Detroit area and with the big 3 just about to go under everywhere you look its bad out there. They had a corupt mayor and I suppose a few on the city counsil as well. Crime of robbery is on the rise and I just read the other day where liquor sales are up 53%(not beer but hard stuff) and what does our good state want to do about that..why raise the taxes on it of course. It's no wonder why completly sane people lose it and go postal. I (Thank God) work for a Mom & Pop that treat me well, there are no talks of lay off (yet) and we are hoping that it wont come to that but I will be willing to take a pay cut vs a lay off. I'm no spring chicken anymore so getting back into the job market would be a big P.I.T.A. (pain in the ass). I am down 80% in my stocks, 43% in my 401k and my house has lost 10% in its value. This SUCKS :pullhair:

Ugh. I feel your pain. I grew up in Saginaw and escaped to Colorado about 15 years ago. I'm keeping my eye on GM myself, my dad worked there for 40 years and my mom is collecting on his pension, which essentially doubles her income. If that goes under she will be living on SS only, which won't hurt her too much (her house and car are paid for) but it still ticks me off that my dad worked there that long and they could just decide to go under and *poof* no more pension.

My 401(k) is also in the tank, and my condo depreciated about $10,000 in the last year, but so far my job looks okay, so I figure I'm better off than a LOT of other people are right now.

Chooch
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
On a lighter note....Check this out

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090226/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_palestinians_israel_wall_6

I think a "KA" or CK "Eye" would be perfect

Daghain
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Bango Skank was here. :lol:

Patrick
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I have 20+ years until retirement. I'm riding the market all the way down and I plan to ride it all the way back up again.

-----

:lol: Niiiiiice, Chooch and Daghain.

- - -
[partial post, and follow-up posts, moved here from another thread]

In personal news, I mentioned earlier in this thread that we are having a baby, probably be here in late June. We didn't find out the sex beforehand with the first two. They are both boys. This time my wife was adamant that we find out the sex. We found out a few days ago that we'll be having a girl. My wife is over the moon.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
In personal news, I mentioned earlier in this thread that we are having a baby, probably be here in late June. We didn't find out the sex beforehand with the first two. They are both boys. This time my wife was adamant that we find out the sex. We found out a few days ago that we'll be having a girl. My wife is over the moon.

Congratulations to you and your wife Patrick.

turtlex
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Gosh, how sweet!

Congratulations, Patrick !

Matt
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
A daughter will bring things to your life that you could never imagine you were missing.

Congrats Patrick. :couple:

jhanic
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Congratulations, Patrick!

John

Patrick
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks, guys. Parenthood is already one hell of a ride, I figure adding a girl into the mix will continue that trend. :)

My wife is already buying little pink outfits and such.

AlishaRiley
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I have 20+ years until retirement. I'm riding the market all the way down and I plan to ride it all the way back up again.

-----

:lol: Niiiiiice, Chooch and Daghain.

- - -
[partial post, and follow-up posts, moved here from another thread]

Patrick, that's amazing. :D
Congrats!

Randall Flagg
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Remind her to not forget about the expected baby.:P

oy-the-brave
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Congrats Patrick :clap:

herbertwest
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
congrats!

Ari_Racing
02-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Congratulations, Patrick! :)
:rock:

super sam
02-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Congrats Patrick :)

wizardsrainbow
02-27-2009, 04:46 AM
<Twilight Zone music plays in the background>

Patrick and I are both Sigma Chi's and didn't know it until recently

I have two boys, then a girl, Patrick has the same.......spooky :wtf:

Congratulations to you, your wife and your two sons. They will adore having a little sister. And you, as a father, your little girl will melt your heart! That's great news Patrick. I couldn't be more happy for you.

sarah
02-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks, guys. Parenthood is already one hell of a ride, I figure adding a girl into the mix will continue that trend. :)

:clap: congrats!!!

be warned that little baby girls warm the soul into butter.

shnnrc01
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
congrats patrick. im totally outnumbered,i have 3 girls!! when theres a vote in the house i lose everytime.

Daghain
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Congrats Patrick!

gsvec
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Excellent news, Patrick! Any thoughts yet on names for her?

Randall Flagg
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Excellent news, Patrick! Any thoughts yet on names for her?
Stephen(ie):P?
Kinglsy:P?
Susannah:P?

Patrick
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
:lol: at both of Jerome's comments.

David had a secretary named Patrick, and I had a secretary named David... :o

The boys are quite excited about the baby. My 5-year old ("Five and a half!) talks to the baby, it's pretty funny.

I can guess which member here had best not leave the toilet seat up.

Sarah, no doubt you are correct.

No names yet, Gretchen. We're thinking about that, but not with any real urgency. Yet.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, everyone. It means a lot to me.

The Lady of Shadows
02-27-2009, 09:33 PM
patrick that's wonderful. i will gladly give you my baby girl name if you'd like, since i will never have children. it's very pretty in my opinion. just let me know. :)

Dolan
03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I always liked the name Jullian for a boy.

Congrads!

Dolan
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Randomly... has anyone got any news on Kali from DT.net? Just thought of her and she was such a good friend of mine... just curious what happened to her if anyone remembesr

Patrick
03-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks, turtlesong and Dolan. t/s, I may call on your generous offer later if we really get stuck. Kenny, that's a cool name, but this one is a girl.

I haven't heard from Kali in quite a while. Jon (real name and screenname), a member here, may have heard more recently than us as they were also friends.

NeedfulKings
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey, Patrick! Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your collection (of kids, not books). :rock:

All the best, man! :)

Patrick
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
"...kids, not books" :lol:

Thanks, Bill.

sarah
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
hey patrick, PM me your address if you want me to start shipping you girl clothes. I have about four or five bins full of Jane's clothes that need a home. ;)

Randall Flagg
03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Randomly... has anyone got any news on Kali from DT.net? Just thought of her and she was such a good friend of mine... just curious what happened to her if anyone remembesr

Haven't heard from her in 2-3 years. She was in Arizona, staying with her sister.

wizardsrainbow
03-02-2009, 07:11 AM

Haven't heard from her in 2-3 years. She was in Arizona, staying with her sister.

Same here. It's been 2 years since I heard from her.

Separate note...my action packed weekend included:

Friday night: taking my 16 year old to a Cradle of Filth concert in NYC (they were actually quite entertaining)

Saturday: skiing with my 8 year old daughter in Vermont

Sunday: working with my 13 year old to finish his Family and Consumer Science project for school.

I got home from the concert at 2am and then up at 4:45am to drive 3 hours to VT to ski. I was pretty tired Saturday night.

e_taylor
03-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Friday night: taking my 16 year old to a Cradle of Filth concert in NYC (they were actually quite entertaining)

They didn't by chance play their cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" did they? Can't get enough of that one when they play it live!

turtlex
03-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Wiz - I'm tired just reading all that.

( you're such a good Dad! )

Darkthoughts
03-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Patrick! Can't believe I only just read your news...congratulations man, girls rock :wub:

turtlex
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
I love that Darkers has quoted Woofer on something she has asked not to be quoted on.

Those Brits, they're a wacky bunch. :couple:

Darkthoughts
03-02-2009, 07:36 AM
:D Always aim to please, old bean!

turtlex
03-02-2009, 07:39 AM
:couple:

You have no idea how much those british replies make me smile!

Darkthoughts
03-02-2009, 07:43 AM
:lol: Don't encourage me!

What, what! :P

wizardsrainbow
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

They didn't by chance play their cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" did they? Can't get enough of that one when they play it live!

:wtf: Eric, I could barely understand 1 out of 10 words. It was all gutteral screams etc. I have no idea what they played. I know they did not play Cemetery and Sundown which is my favorite (and the only song of theirs that I can name).

Here is a linkto a YouTube video someone posted from that night.

YouTube - Cradle of Filth- A Ghost in the Fog: Live at Nokia- 02-27-2009

e_taylor
03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

:wtf: Eric, I could barely understand 1 out of 10 words. It was all gutteral screams etc. I have no idea what they played. I know they did not play Cemetery and Sundown which is my favorite (and the only song of theirs that I can name).

Here is a linkto a YouTube video someone posted from that night.

YouTube - Cradle of Filth- A Ghost in the Fog: Live at Nokia- 02-27-2009

hahaha yah, I hear that David! In my opinion the lyrics aren't even worth hearing! But I do remember loving their music when I was in highschool and seeing them a couple of times. Entertaining shows to say the least!

Patrick
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
hey patrick, PM me your address if you want me to start shipping you girl clothes. I have about four or five bins full of Jane's clothes that need a home. ;)
:thumbsup: :huglove:
Rather than shipping them, maybe this is just the excuse we need to get together for that cocktail that we're (you, me and Jerome) are always talking about. I'm buying your drinks.

Patrick! Can't believe I only just read your news...congratulations man, girls rock :wub:
Thanks, Lisa. :)

Wiz, sounds like a great, action-packed, family weekend!

Randall Flagg
03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
:thumbsup: :huglove:
Rather than shipping them, maybe this is just the excuse we need to get together for that cocktail that we're (you, me and Jerome) are always talking about. I'm buying your drinks.

Thanks, Lisa. :)

Wiz, sounds like a great, action-packed, family weekend!

Yes. The perfect meeting ground half-way between you two is San Francisco (or Barclay's in Oakland).:P

Patrick
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
:lol: I'd be fine with Barclay's, but that may be a bit far for Sarah unless she's headed into the Bay Area for some other reason. Personally I'd be fine driving further in her direction since I would be the recipient of her generosity.

We've got some time though to coordinate.

oo (Lefty)
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
What's Up, On my second level of the tower right now, Reading drawing of the three And the book is a lot better than the first time, Anyway anybody else a tower junky I've got to talk about this book,I also just got done reading The Long Road Home amazing book, READ IT:onfire:

oo (Lefty)
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Anybody want to talk abou Wizard and Glass or the Graphic novels PLEASE contact me

turtlex
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Lefty - Check out the Comic Tower for talk on the Graphic Novels/DT Comics.
Here the link : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=12

And also, there is an individual thread for each book.
Here's the W&G link : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Beware of spoilers though, since you're still reading the series!

sarah
03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey Patrick and Jerome, I would LOVE to do a S.F. meet up. Lets get something on the calendar.

btw, Patrick, I love the new sig ;)

Randall Flagg
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I am available any weekend (except 5/15-5/18 )

Patrick
03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Sarah, I like my sig quote too. :) Thanks!

I'll check with my wife and get back to you guys, but I think a late lunch on Sunday, March 22nd might work. Is that too soon?

Also, we could meet up somewhere like Walnut Creek if that would be more convenient for you two.

Randall Flagg
03-08-2009, 07:04 AM
March 22 works for me. So does Walnut Creek. They just opened a new Cheesecake Factory in WC. Or there is a Pyramid Brewery there.

Patrick
03-08-2009, 11:33 AM
You just know that my vote goes to the brewery. :lol:

Randall Flagg
03-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Although the food isn't great, but the beer selection is superior, WC is only 10 miles from Barclay's (http://www.barclayspub.com/), and 5 from EJ Phair (http://www.ejphair.com/) (great guest brews-all the time, and good food).

Patrick
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
How's Pyramid?

wizardsrainbow
03-09-2009, 03:43 AM

Although the food isn't great, but the beer selection is superior

Jerome-
Sounds like the Freakin' Frog in Vegas!

Randall Flagg
03-09-2009, 06:04 AM
How's Pyramid?

They are nice. I prefer EJ Phair's selection of beer as they feature guest beers as well as their own, but Pyramid (http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/walnut-creek) is very good.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2009, 06:05 AM

Although the food isn't great, but the beer selection is superior

Jerome-
Sounds like the Freakin' Frog in Vegas!

Far far nicer than Freakin' Frogs, and in a much better area.

e_taylor
03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey guys, I won't be around much the next couple weeks. 30 seconds here and there will be it. I've got about 100 pages worth of essays and five exams to write in the next month.... so needless to say I'll be busy! :panic: However, I recently found a very intriguing lettered edition fairly cheap - its not SK related by anyone who loves nice books should be interested in it - keep an eye on "Your New Pride and Joy" in the next couple weeks! :rock::rock:

Chooch
03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey guys, I won't be around much the next couple weeks. 30 seconds here and there will be it. I've got about 100 pages worth of essays and five exams to write in the next month.... so needless to say I'll be busy! :panic: However, I recently found a very intriguing lettered edition fairly cheap - its not SK related by anyone who loves nice books should be interested in it - keep an eye on "Your New Pride and Joy" in the next couple weeks! :rock::rock:

Good Luck on the exams dude we'll be here when you get back !!