PDA

View Full Version : If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

Pages : [1] 2

Sam
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
With this being the collector's corner I have a question for you that I'm sure many have thought about.

What if you could design and publish a King book or story as a S/L? What would the book look like, which book/story would you pick, how many would you publish, any idea how much you would charge for it? What sort of paper would you use, what type of binding, slipcase or traycase, how would the lettered edition differ from the numbered, would there even be a lettered edition?

You can chose any existing published book OR story. You can even create a new collection if you'd like, but please limit your work to published material. I'm interested to see what people would come up with.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
If I was designing and publishing a limited edition it would be:

THE SHINING

Stored in a red velvet lined Traycase that resembles an elevator

Leather black goat kidskin imprinted spine

Marbled End sheets

Bernie Wrightson to do the DJ and Interior work

Limited to 217

Signed by King & Wrightson

Special added features of this rare edition:

Interview with King (If he would want to change one thing about The Shining, what would it be?)

Before the Play added

Price: $425

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sam
01-20-2009, 03:01 PM
That's a really good idea dude. I think the price is off for such a small print run, but I like the print run idea of only 217 copies. Whoever got #217 would be the luckiest of all.

e_taylor
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
That's a really good idea dude. I think the price is off for such a small print run, but I like the print run idea of only 217 copies. Whoever got #217 would be the luckiest of all.

Well it would have to be reserved for Ralph himself, no?

Edit: Sidenote - Ralph, I sent you a PM!

flaggwalkstheline
01-21-2009, 07:08 AM
I would design a copy of the gunslinger with a special swirly page in the middle that worked as portal to whisk u off into the multiverse (like the books from Myst)

Ari_Racing
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Hearts in Atlantis.

999 S/L Copies
1999 Artist copies.

Illustrated by Michael Whelan (his favourite King book).

Including "Lt. rap" as apendix and the metal peace sign (I don't know how to call it in english).

S/L: Traycased (like From a Buick 8 S/L).
Artist: Slipcased.

The same paper used in From a Buick 8 S/L

Earth's Militant Mind
01-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Well since I am all about The Dark Tower and want to make a S/L of all the connected books as well I have multiple answers:

Hearts in Atlantis (first on the list by far)
Cell
The Shining

These would be on the list if we are talking US limited only:
Bag of Bones (UK has one)
Rose Madder(UK has one)
It (German boot leg available, do you think SK would sign mine for me? Really I wouldn't even try...)

Sam
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I haven't listed my choice because I've been thinking very hard about what I would do. Which book to choose and how would I do it.

MISERY

Limited Edition:

Slipcased similar to Insomnia and bound in Black leather. On the cover of the slipcase would be the title in red and a two tone capsule of Novril in red and white below the title.

The dustjacket would not be of Misery; it would be of Fast Cars, the book Annie forced Paul to burn. The binding itself would have artwork similar to the art in the first printing of the US paperback if possible (Rather than King holding a woman, perhaps Annie holding an unconscious Paul in the snow with the wrecked car in the background), if not then simply bound in black leather with the title Misery in red and white spots to look like snow.

Japanese endpapers.

Normal typeface.

Interior artwork would be Michael Whelan (six panels).

Edition size: 750 numbered 1-750 and signed in black.

Price: $300

Lettered Edition:

Handmade wooden traycase made to resemble an axe head (even having some red to look like blood on the axe head and using different woods to get the colors desired) with the hinge in the blade of the axe. No two traycases alike. Same woods, but each one made by hand.

No dustjacket. Bound in true parchment/leather meant to resemble the volume that Annie was sure to make from Paul's skin after he finished her special novel.

Parchment endpapers with a skin-like texture to match the binding.

Interior paper would be high quality acid free paper, but would resemble the feel of the typing paper Paul used in the book. The book would be printed so the text would be the similar to the typed manuscript inside the story itself, with the manuscript retaining a different type face from the rest of the story.

Interior artwork would be by Michael Whelan (same as Limited) and Bernie Wrightson (three panels just for Lettered).

Edition size: 26 Lettered (in bold via manuel typewriter) A-Z and signed in blood red ink.

Price: $700 (maybe more depending on cost, price would be set closer to publication and no charges made until priced)

How does that sound?

Ben Mears
01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
As 'Salem's Lot is my personal favorite SK novel I was esctatic when Centipede published its limited edition. I was especially intrigued by the addition of scenes deleted from the original manuscript. But, as much as I liked the way the scenes were presented, I had always thought it would have been even better had the limited contained the published version of SL followed by the original manucript; kind of like a remastered classic album with the demo version included as bonus tracks.
To that end, knowing there would likely be a very small universe of SL enthusiasts interested, I think it would be cool to publish a limited of Second Coming. Print run would be 300 slip cased black leather bound copies with the title foil stamped in purple on the front and spine and author name blind stamped on the front. End papers and bookmark would match foil stamping. Trim size would be 9 1/4" x 6 1/4". Images for title page and part openers by artist Robert Addison and photographer Simon Marsden. Paper stock would be Mohawk Superfine 70# for text and 100# for images. Font would be Chiller for cover, title page, and part openers; Bookman Old Style for text.
Attached below are some examples of what Second Coming might look like...

jhanic
01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I like it!

John

lophophoras
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
That is nice. A very good idea.

Cutter
01-25-2009, 10:09 AM
All great ideas so far.

What I would like is a book set of the Bachman books. I would like them all, but since Rage isn't an option I would like other six books in a slipcase. If anyone has seen one of the Ray Bradbury Book sets from PS Publishing, then you know what I mean. Small book sizes, pictured book covers (like Joe Hill's Gunpowder), sewn bindings (which PS doesn't do), and two new separate introductions for each book: One by King and one by another author.

Basically what I am getting at is a gift set, nothing fancy, just sharp looking hardcovers in a book set that would look very cool on a book shelf. no King signature, and limited to 1,000 copies. This would keep the cost down to around $150 to $200.

This would be an opportunity to get single hardcovers of the first books like the Long Walk, and they would be a uniformed set, which would look very cool.

Ari_Racing
01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
As 'Salem's Lot is my personal favorite SK novel I was esctatic when Centipede published its limited edition. I was especially intrigued by the addition of scenes deleted from the original manuscript. But, as much as I liked the way the scenes were presented, I had always thought it would have been even better had the limited contained the published version of SL followed by the original manucript; kind of like a remastered classic album with the demo version included as bonus tracks.
To that end, knowing there would likely be a very small universe of SL enthusiasts interested, I think it would be cool to publish a limited of Second Coming. Print run would be 300 slip cased black leather bound copies with the title foil stamped in purple on the front and spine and author name blind stamped on the front. End papers and bookmark would match foil stamping. Trim size would be 9 1/4" x 6 1/4". Images for title page and part openers by artist Robert Addison and photographer Simon Marsden. Paper stock would be Mohawk Superfine 70# for text and 100# for images. Font would be Chiller for cover, title page, and part openers; Bookman Old Style for text.

Ok, curiosity kills me. That book you posted EXISTS?

Patrick
01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I would buy Ralph's THE SHINING, Ari's HIA, Sam's MISERY, Ben's SECOND COMING, and Geoff's BACHMAN BOOKS. Just don't release them all in the same year.

Ben Mears
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
All great ideas so far.

What I would like is a book set of the Bachman books. I would like them all, but since Rage isn't an option I would like other six books in a slipcase. If anyone has seen one of the Ray Bradbury Book sets from PS Publishing, then you know what I mean. Small book sizes, pictured book covers (like Joe Hill's Gunpowder), sewn bindings (which PS doesn't do), and two new separate introductions for each book: One by King and one by another author.

Basically what I am getting at is a gift set, nothing fancy, just sharp looking hardcovers in a book set that would look very cool on a book shelf. no King signature, and limited to 1,000 copies. This would keep the cost down to around $150 to $200.

This would be an opportunity to get single hardcovers of the first books like the Long Walk, and they would be a uniformed set, which would look very cool.

I would like to see the same treatment for Different Seasons:four individual slip cased books that would fit into a larger slip case box. Each individual slip case would have the corresponding "season" illustration from the original hard cover dust jacket. The box slip case would have all 4 seasons on each sides and back.

jhanic
01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
All great ideas so far.

I doubt you'll ever see this, mainly because King has pulled Rage and it just wouldn't be the same without that one. It IS a nice concept, though.

John

Cutter
01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
All great ideas so far.

I doubt you'll ever see this, mainly because King has pulled Rage and it just wouldn't be the same without that one. It IS a nice concept, though.

John

Yep Rage would be the problem

herbertwest
01-25-2009, 11:56 AM

+1

Ben Mears
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM

+1

+4

Ari_Racing
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Spanish, please! :)
Or english, actually. ;)

Matt
01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Sounds like up to 4 of those books actually exist.

Ben Mears
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Below is what the Second Coming limited table of contents and epilogue part opener might look like...

Brice
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
So, did you already make yourself this book?

gsvec
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm a little confused, too - is that a prototype?

Brice
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Here we are fantasizing about making a S/L and he's doing it. :lol:

Ben Mears
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm a little confused, too - is that a prototype?

Yes

Brice
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
It's beautiful!

herbertwest
01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
definitely!

Any plans to publish it?

lophophoras
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
That would be cool. You should man. There would be some buyers here.

herbertwest
01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I guess he needs the authorization first... :unsure:

Ben Mears
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I guess he needs the authorization first... :unsure:

:cry:

Ari_Racing
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, but that prototype looks awesome!!

Post more pictures, tell us more about it!!!

Ben Mears
01-26-2009, 07:38 PM

As mentioned earlier I think the limited of 'Salem's Lot is awesome but would have been even better had it included the original manuscript rather than the deleted scenes and related short stories from Night Shift. That said when I found out Doubleday planned to release a trade edition of the Centipede SL I approached them about including the original manuscript but, according to the editor, they were too far along with production to consider a change.
I wasn't surprised and decided to take matters into my own hands. I have some small press publishing experience and figured it couldn't hurt to put together a proposal for a limited edition of Second Coming . I submitted a sample chapter along with images and explained the reasoning as best I could. The reality is SL is my favorite book, period, and accordingly I have a strong interest in how it originated. I was less interested in a limited edition per se and more interested in the possibility of making the original manuscript available to SL enthusiasts like myself to read. Based on comments I've read from SK about limited editions and signatures I was careful with my approach and indicated to him that it wouldn't be necessary for him to sign any copies. I didn't care about the signature, I just wanted the story published.
Alas it wasn't meant to be. I received a polite thanks but no thanks from SK's mananger and that was it. From an objective standpoint it is easy to see why. The Centipede limited was published in 2004 followed by the Douleday trade edition a year later so it really didn't make sense to do anything else with the story. Of course that's the point!
Anyway it was an interesting and enjoyable experience. As I was working on design and trying to decide what I wanted to do with images I contacted Glenn Chadbourne about the possibility of doing illustrations. SL is one of his favorite SK books and Glenn is very familiar with the landscape around Cumberland where Jerusalem's Lot is supposed to be located. I also contacted the Durham Historical Society about getting a picture of the real Marsten House (named after its last occupants) that was located on The Deep Cut Road. It overlooked a section of town called Methodist Corners and it is this house, along with the Shiloh Church in Durham, that was the basis for the Marsten House in SL. In the end I went a different direction with images. For posterity I've a attached a picture of the real Marsten House (circa 1920s) along with the painting by Robert Addison that I had planned to use for the Marsten House part opener in Second Coming ...

e_taylor
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Thats a great story! Too bad that after all your work it was rejected. Still shows a lot about your character and enthusiasm though!

Patrick
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Ben, I really like your prototype. Thanks for sharing the story of your efforts - and the photos.

Gunkslinger
01-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Very cool prototype

Ari_Racing
01-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Impressive! Congratulations!! :)

Did Bob already bought one? :D:wtf:

herbertwest
01-27-2009, 04:25 AM
It's a shame that you did all the work for nothing.. that's really impressive!

And.. i was wondering the same thing as Ari lol

Ben Mears
01-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Although I was disappointed in the final decision I don't regret the effort. The unfortunate thing is that 'Salem's Lot enthusiasts won't have a chance to read the story as it was originally written. Unless, of course, you are willing and able to visit Fogler Library. It is impressive how well written the first draft was. It is also interesting to see the changes that were made and how it impacted the flow of the story. The published version is a much better book but there are a few scenes and threads from the original manuscript that should have remained.

Cutter
01-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Very interesting info, thanks.

Ben Mears
01-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Attached is the Second Coming dust jacket image that I had planned to use. I think it captures the mood of the book and foretells the story to come. The original idea was 300 casebound with dust jacket and slip case along with 15 bound in black leather. I was vascillating between case bound or flexible softcover for the leather edition. The softbound version has a really nice feel to it.

herbertwest
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Just wondering : how many prototypes were made?

(and minus the one that Bob will buy you lol)

And... may I ask how you got the original manuscript? You dont have to answer if you dont want to ;-)

Ben Mears
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Just wondering : how many prototypes were made?

Four numbered prototypes were made.

Patrick
01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
It's a sweet book. I like the dustjacket too.

Do the prototypes have only certain sample pages to show what the interior would look like? Or were you able to include the complete text?

Ben Mears
01-29-2009, 06:45 AM
It's a sweet book. I like the dustjacket too.

were you able to include the complete text?

:)

Ari_Racing
01-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Wo wo wo...hold your horses, man...:D

The complete text of the edition we read or the one that is in the Foggler library?

Ben Mears
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Wo wo wo...hold your horses, man...:D

The complete text of the edition we read or the one that is in the Foggler library?

:)

Ves'Ka Gan
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I may have (inadvertently) answered this in my 'wanted" post, but I would create a S/L of The Dark Half. I see a wooden case with sparrows carved into it...black leather binding. And I'm no good at talking about paper types, but those very rough, uneven,thick, pages would do me just fine.

Ari_Racing
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
How the f*** did you manage to get the text of the foggler library??? :D :D :D

That's pretty amazing!

swintek
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Not directed at you, Ari, but just in general I think it's probably imprudent for us to ask "How" on a public message board. I'm just glad we got a glimpse of that wonderful, alas, "lost" edition. Ben, when you're ready to donate one of the four- you can pm me here :P

I think it's a beautiful production, but the Centipede ltds. and trades (and possibly King's reaction to their publication) probably doomed it from the start. Bummer. Would've LOVED to have read this.

Would love to know what any of the Super Collectors would pay for one of these. Hard to put a market "worth" on something that doesn't officially exist. It's more a case of whatever someone's willing to pay.

Ron

Sam
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
With something like what Ben has, "worth" is not an applicable word. The value of it is whatever Ben were to ascribe to them, not what someone would pay. They are extremely unique items, even if they are unauthorized, and do not hold to the same idea of "whatever someone would pay". It then becomes a matter of whatever the owner would take to part with it.

Ves'Ka, I like your idea of doing The Dark Half. What else would you do with it? Would you have pictures, who would do them if you did? Would you have a ribbon bookmark sewn into the book (never cared for them myself, but many like them)?

Ves'Ka Gan
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Oooh...I'll have to give this some thought! I would definitely love it to be an illustrated copy, as the description of millions upon millions of sparrows covering the roads and houses leading up to Thad's home have always given me chills. And you know, I'm a little of a traditionalist--I would love to see some good Michael Whelan paintings in there, he seems to have a great combination of class & horror that fit so many of King's works perfectly, I don't think my make-believe Dark Half would be any different. (Although, I do know a few unknown artists from my home-area that may do the book justice).

As for the ribbon--I don't care for them either, as they tend to fray and look poorly after time--but as this would obviously be a display piece, it might be cool to have a black ribbon book mark sewn in with "The Sparrows Are Flying Again" embroidered in a nice blood red.

If I had the ability to commission something like this, it would definitely be a project I could really get into, and I would love to add a million little details.

Ari_Racing
01-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I wanted to know the story..just that :)

Patrick
01-31-2009, 08:57 AM
It's Ves's imaginary book, but I could see Dave McKean doing illustrations for THE DARK HALF if Whelan were unavailable.

Brice
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Single volume Dark Tower. 19 copies. Each copy in hand tooled (inside and out) morrocan leather boards, silk moire endpapers. Fully illustrated by all six artists with original (and unique to each copy) art bound in. No PCs, artist, or author copies..just the 19.

Patrick
01-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Single volume Dark Tower. 19 copies. Each copy in hand tooled (inside and out) morrocan leather boards, silk moire endpapers. Fully illustrated by all six artists with original (and unique to each copy) art bound in. No PCs, artist, or author copies..just the 19.
That would be a big book. What would you estimate the dimensions on that? What size font for the text? Could you whip up some prototypes* for us to get a better idea?

* and send me one.

Gunkslinger
01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
IT, published by Necessary Evil Press, art by Caniglia, with a metal traycase that looks like a sewer gate and red eyes that glow when you open the traycase.

jhanic
01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
:thumbsup:

John

Patrick
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Would the grate be truly 3-D, as in would you see the book through the grate?

If so, would the glowing eyes be in the cover of the book?

wizardsrainbow
02-02-2009, 04:57 AM
IT, published by Necessary Evil Press, art by Caniglia, with a metal traycase that looks like a sewer gate and red eyes that glow when you open the traycase.

THAT would be kick-ass!

Earth's Militant Mind
02-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Not directed at you, Ari, but just in general I think it's probably imprudent for us to ask "How" on a public message board. I'm just glad we got a glimpse of that wonderful, alas, "lost" edition. Ben, when you're ready to donate one of the four- you can pm me here :P

I think it's a beautiful production, but the Centipede ltds. and trades (and possibly King's reaction to their publication) probably doomed it from the start. Bummer. Would've LOVED to have read this.

Would love to know what any of the Super Collectors would pay for one of these. Hard to put a market "worth" on something that doesn't officially exist. It's more a case of whatever someone's willing to pay.

Ron

Did someone say donate? :orely: I would love to see this as one of the auctions for the fundraiser. judging from ev1's reaction and the fact that I would want one it would certainly be an interesting item.:evil:

Ben Mears
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM

Ron

Did someone say donate? :orely: I would love to see this as one of the auctions for the fundraiser. judging from ev1's reaction and the fact that I would want one it would certainly be an interesting item.:evil:

If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foundation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.

lophophoras
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM

:excited:

herbertwest
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Ron

If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foudation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.

oOOO!

If it's as brilliant as the Second Coming you mentionned... MY GOD !!!
And if the profits goes to Haven Foundation, I believe there are more chances that it sees daylight... let's wait and see :-)

Ben Mears
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Ron

If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foudation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.

oOOO!

And if the profits goes to Haven Foundation, I believe there are more chances that it sees daylight... let's wait and see :-)

The plan is for all profits to go to the Haven Foundation. I'm not looking to make any money; just cover my expenses.

e_taylor
02-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Ron

oOOO!

The plan is for all profits to go to the Haven Foundation. I'm not looking to make any money; just cover my expenses.

Wonder if King would be more inclined under that format, or if you did the design and then Philtrum published it?

In anycase .... hints??

Merlin1958
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
If I was designing and publishing a limited edition it would be:

THE SHINING

Stored in a red velvet lined Traycase that resembles an elevator

Leather black goat kidskin imprinted spine

Marbled End sheets

Bernie Wrightson to do the DJ and Interior work

Limited to 217

Signed by King & Wrightson

Special added features of this rare edition:

Interview with King (If he would want to change one thing about The Shining, what would it be?)

Before the Play added

Price: $425

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I'd have to go with this a classic in a classic setting

Ben Mears
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Ron

oOOO!

Wonder if King would be more inclined under that format, or if you did the design and then Philtrum published it?

In anycase .... hints??

I can only hope that SK will find this approach more appealing. The priority is to get the story out so it wouldn't matter to me if I published it or Philtrum did. That said until I have submitted the proposal (later this year) and have a better feel for the situation it is best to retain details for now.

e_taylor
03-25-2009, 07:22 AM
From an email I sent Tomas, in regards to tray cases for the Bachman paperbacks:

In my mind I'm picturing individual tray cases for each book (I've seen generic ones to hold all four, but that doesn't accommodate people who wish to shelve their books in order of release, or by title). Also, these tray cases could be the size of a hardback book so as to allow uniformity of all King titles on a shelf. When opened the cases would have a spot cut out to place the book in. Using elements from the Stand traycase, it could close with magnets, and have an opening to view the full cover artwork (it would need some type of plastic insert to keep the book inside the case). Then add some foil stamping on the side to give the title and Bachman's name (it wouldn't seem right to put King's name on the case for a book that had no mention of him), and you've got a very nice way of protecting, displaying, and "spicing up" some important but relatively unimpressive (looks wise) early King work.

What are everybody's thoughts on such tray cases?

(Perhaps this can be merged into the Collecting Questions or Random Thoughts thread after a few days of discussion?)

Matt
03-25-2009, 07:23 AM
It's a pretty hot topic these days, no reason not to have a discussion thread just for it for a while. :rock:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
There is not enough of a market to justify the cost of making traycases for these magazines.

It simple to make your own.

thecollector
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
There is not enough of a market to justify the cost of making traycases for these magazines.

It simple to make your own.

At the end of the day it comes down to market size. In order to justify a new case there needs to be a bare minium of 100 people willing to order. Otherwise
a) It's just to cost prohibitive to do an elaborate case
b) It would be possible to do a plain cardboard slipcase, no lettering and cloth covered chipboard.

blg
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Speaking of traycases, has anyone ever purchased one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-CARRIE-Custom-Clamshell-Case-1st-Nice_W0QQitemZ310098625942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item310098625942&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'd like to have something to protect my Carrie, but $165 seems awfully expensive. The seller also makes one for Night Shift. Just curious about the quality, etc.

thecollector
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I haven't, although the pics look nice. But that's a prime example of

If I couldn't make a case for under $100 I wouldn't consider it economically viable. I'll be holding a survey soon on what cases people like to see. If enough people express interest in the other doubleday books I'll make those slipcases as well at a similar price point to The Stand.

carlosdetweiller
03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Speaking of traycases, has anyone ever purchased one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-CARRIE-Custom-Clamshell-Case-1st-Nice_W0QQitemZ310098625942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item310098625942&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'd like to have something to protect my Carrie, but $165 seems awfully expensive. The seller also makes one for Night Shift. Just curious about the quality, etc.

I bought a similar traycase from them for my copy of ATLAS SHRUGGED. It is very nice. I paid $140 for it in 2003. It is expensive but I think quality traycases are just darned expensive to make. I've considered buying one of the CARRIE traycases but just haven't gotten around to it. I don't think you would be disappointed but you might try making a lower offer and contacting them directly rather than through eBay.

Fsmdr
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM

If I couldn't make a case for under $100 I wouldn't consider it economically viable. I'll be holding a survey soon on what cases people like to see. If enough people express interest in the other doubleday books I'll make those slipcases as well at a similar price point to The Stand.

What about a traycase instead?. Just because some of those books are prone to fading from the sun. I would love a set if you make it available for all the Doubleday books.

Also, Camelot books had a set for sale. 4 traycase for $350. Rather plain looking, IMO.

http://www.camelotbooks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=2259

Patrick
03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
All I know is that every time Tomas decides to make a new traycase, I end up buying another book for my collection to justify the purchase.

... 'Salem's Lot gift edition... The Stand 1st Edition...

You're good for the book market, Tomas!

Room 217 Caretaker
03-27-2009, 04:43 AM

What about a traycase instead?. Just because some of those books are prone to fading from the sun. I would love a set if you make it available for all the Doubleday books.

Also, Camelot books had a set for sale. 4 traycase for $350. Rather plain looking, IMO.

http://www.camelotbooks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=2259

I purchased one of the sets you mentioned but my purchase consisted of 5 to cover the first 5 Doubleday releases. Really not a bad case at all and it completely clam shells around the book protecting it.

One picture shows the set as a whole, the other picture shows my Carrie and the case behind it.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
08-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Time to create a "dream" slipcase/traycase for the upcoming S/L of 'Under The Dome'.
Thoughts?

Room 217 Caretaker
08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Time to create a "dream" slipcase/traycase for the upcoming S/L of 'Under The Dome'.
Thoughts?

I think it will be a traycase

The dome on the front of the case will be a beveled cutout showing the dome on the cover of the dust jacket (depending what the cover has on it)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
The book housed in the base of an oversized snowglobe depicting scenes from the book.

Sir_Boomme
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
well.... since i already did this, ie. designed one.... i guess it'd be this one.... (most of you have already seen the pics... but for those newer people that may have not)...

imported italian kidskin leather, raised embossed spin, custom hand made endpapers, silk book mark. very high dollar acid free 100% rag paper, custom matching traycase, CD with original PDF file - custom CD label and jewel box cover....

traycase:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zza-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg
traycase spine:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzc-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

size comparison next to the stand limited:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzb-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

traycase opened to the book and builtin CD holder with silk ribbon pull

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zze-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

traycase endpapers:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzf-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzg-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

book's endpapers:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzh-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzi-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzj-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

book's spine

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzk-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

btw... the endpapers were made specifically for me.... i figured green for the plant....red for blood....
and since the original version of the plant was given by king as a christmas cards to friends, i really tried to play up the "christmas paper" look in it.
i wanted it to resemble blood splattered on holly leaves - or holly leaves floating in blood- different, but the same for the book verses the traycase.

Randall Flagg
08-31-2009, 06:02 AM
Thoughts?

The dome on the front of the case will be a beveled cutout showing the dome on the cover of the dust jacket (depending what the cover has on it)
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1846&d=1251675097
Mulleins
Cumberland VA
This is the first I've seen of that.
Thanks.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Thoughts?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1846&d=1251675097
Mulleins
Cumberland VA
This is the first I've seen of that.
Thanks.

Don't get excited. That was my design I created.

I was just creating what I thought would be the dream tray case. :dance:

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ben Mears
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
well.... since i already did this, ie. designed one.... i guess it'd be this one.... (most of you have already seen the pics... but for those newer people that may have not)...

imported italian kidskin leather, raised embossed spin, custom hand made endpapers, silk book mark. very high dollar acid free 100% rag paper, custom matching traycase, CD with original PDF file - custom CD label and jewel box cover....

traycase:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zza-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg
traycase spine:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzc-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

size comparison next to the stand limited:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzb-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

traycase opened to the book and builtin CD holder with silk ribbon pull

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zze-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

traycase endpapers:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzf-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzg-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

book's endpapers:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzh-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzi-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzj-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

book's spine

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzk-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

btw... the endpapers were made specifically for me.... i figured green for the plant....red for blood....
and since the original version of the plant was given by king as a christmas cards to friends, i really tried to play up the "christmas paper" look in it.
i wanted it to resemble blood splattered on holly leaves - or holly leaves floating in blood- different, but the same for the book verses the traycase.

Well done!

Randall Flagg
09-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't get excited. That was my design I created.

I was just creating what I thought would be the dream tray case. :dance:

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I still like.

Patrick
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
The book housed in the base of an oversized snowglobe depicting scenes from the book.
Although it would present storage issues due to the space needed, this could be very cool... unless one day the snowdome starts leaking onto the book below.

Ralph, nice traycase idea.

pixiedark76
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I would like a limited edition of Duma Key. I would have it in three states. The gift edition would have a slipcase with a beach design on it. This edition would have lots of artwork (especially of all the different paintings and drawings) The artwork would be done by Michael Whelan. This edition would have Michael Whelens signature. I would change $75.00 for the gift edition.

Then I would have a signed/limited edition that would be signed by both Stephen King and Michael Whelan. This edition would have a tray-case. The tray-case would have the picture of the beach and Big Pink on it. The colors would be very bright and bold. I would charge $100 to $150.00 for this edition.

The lettered edition would come in a case shaped like a picnic basket. This edition would also be signed by both Michael Whelan and Stephen King. The book would come with full-size paintings of the Elizabeth Lake and Edgar Freemantle paintings from Duma Key. (Artwork done by Michael Whelan of course!) I would charge $300.00 for this edition.

Patrick
09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Nice ideas, pixie. I'd buy the S/L. You'd probably want to charge slightly higher prices on the numbered and lettered editions.

Sam
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking probably $250 for the S/L and $800 (maybe even more depending on cost) for the Lettered because of the paintings.

wizardsrainbow
09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I would like to have a traycase for my New Lieutenant's Rap, with maybe a place opposite to hold the peace sign necklace, and a spot for the quiz.

Ari_Racing
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Alright...I'm positive I saw somewhere around here a thing like the one you're talking about, Wiz.

pixiedark76
09-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking probably $250 for the S/L and $800 (maybe even more depending on cost) for the Lettered because of the paintings.

I was thinking mostly from a buyer's standpoint. I was charging so low because I wanted to be able to afford to buy the editions! :lol:

gsvec
09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Now's your chance to design a traycase for real! This was in my recent Gauntlet Press newsletter:

Help Us Decide on Design for Upcoming Traycase

We’d like the input of our Gauntlet Press customers. When we mentioned in our last newsletter the possibility of a wooden traycase for Richard Matheson’s Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (the lettered edition) we received an interesting suggestion. Why not use a facsimile of a airplane “black box” instead? Well, we did a Google search and not only isn’t the “black box” black, it’s not really a box, which might make something like this impossible to replicate. However . . . we asked ourselves Are there other possibilities? So, this is your chance to give your input. What would you like to see the lettered edition housed in? Please keep in mind that the cost of some items would be prohibitive. But, we’re open to suggestions. If you have a suggestion please send it to info@gauntletpress.com. In the subject mention “Traycase for Nightmare...” If we choose your idea (and you are the first to suggest it) you’ll get a galley (ARC) of the book when available.

Sam
09-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Sent in my ideas.

Randall Flagg
09-23-2009, 06:03 AM
As did I. I suggested the cover of the traycase look like the airspeed, altitude etc. displays in an airplane cockpit.

Example:
http://www.learnerstogether.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/instrumentPanel.jpg

Instead of the normal silk ribbon marker used to open/mark the book or traycase, have a yellow tape "Caution" ribbon.

Patrick
09-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Cool idea, Jerome! :thumbsup:

Sam
09-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I gave them a couple of ideas. The first is to go ahead with the flight recorder idea and use a black box design that I found online that is little more than a rectangular box with two or three add-ons on the top end. I think it would look really cool. This is the picture.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/flight-recorder.jpg

My other idea was to have the front look like an airplane window with the creature looking in the window and the back would look like the other side of the plane wall, either with the back of the creature's head or simply the window of the plane looking into the craft, giving the feeling that WE are the creature.

Randall Flagg
09-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I like those ideas.

Patrick
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes, those are good ideas too, Sam.

What a creative bunch of members we have here.

Sir_Boomme
09-23-2009, 08:57 PM
ok... so jumped in and drew a really quick pic using photoimpact.
keeping in mind it's got to be something that is not cost prohibitive... i tried for something a little more on the simple side?

my idea is based on the twilight zone's original tv show where the creature pulls up the airplane's wing's panel and pulls out the wires.

see pic... a wood box perhaps covered in metal like panels with rivets, the box would be convexed (curved outwards) on the top and bottom mimicking the wing of an airplane.
(it'd actually rock when set flat - or could be stood on end)

on one side the "metal panels" could be ripped upwards revealing the wires to the wing.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2980/nightmare.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/i/nightmare.jpg/)

Sam
09-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Very nice idea dude!

wahlers
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
For me, I'd also love to see a set of individual hardcovers of the original 4 Bachman books (I know, fat chance of Rage now... :(). I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just better paper and good (if possible) reproductions of the original covers.

I'd also like a physical printing of The Plant.

I'm assuming popularity of titles and King's blessing have a lot to do with what comes (or doesn't come) out.

Randall Flagg
04-20-2010, 07:33 AM
We have a thread that touches on this subject:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/wow/misc/trashcan_small.gif http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/wow/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=9&order=desc&page=5#) If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7033)

Great ideas.

wahlers
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Cool. Sorry for not finding that other thread. :blush:

Randall Flagg
04-20-2010, 09:39 AM
It's all good. We'll merge this shortly. Thanks for the ideas.

Cutter
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
For me, I'd also love to see a set of individual hardcovers of the original 4 Bachman books (I know, fat chance of Rage now... :(). I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just better paper and good (if possible) reproductions of the original covers.

I'd also like a physical printing of The Plant.

I'm assuming popularity of titles and King's blessing have a lot to do with what comes (or doesn't come) out.
In the other thread I requested the same thing Wahlers. I too think it would be cool to have hardcovers of the first 4 Bachman books. :thumbsup:

wahlers
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, since we both want them, somebody should make them. :)

The funny thing is that I don't even mind having a collected book of them, but the font and typesetting in the original Bachman Books collection is so dull and boring. I don't mean to sound superficial, but sometimes I have trouble keeping my interest when reading if a book's font and typesetting are bad, and that book is awful :pullhair:

The Library Policeman
04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Gotta be IT. Housed in a custom clamshell clownshoe. :ninja:

e_taylor
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM

I have a feeling we'll see a 25th Anniversary edition next year.

God willing, it won't be put out by Cemetery Dance.

Brice
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
If it is it may end up being the 50th anniversary edition. :cyclops:

Ben Mears
04-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Centipede Press version of The Shining.

Lenny
04-21-2010, 05:59 AM

I have a feeling we'll see a 25th Anniversary edition next year.

God willing, it won't be put out by Cemetery Dance.

If I could have one wish concerning books/book collecting it would be to have this. I love IT and I would love to see something done similar to how The Stand was done.

Ari_Racing
04-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Well...not in topic, but if we push in the topic, maybe we get an excerpt...

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/17490-The-Aftermath

frik
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Centipede Press version of The Shining.

sk

jemaher
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
yeah, id love to see jared do more king books

demorgan
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
How about someone start a thread or even a polll. at KINgs website...maybe make some noise about wanting a signed/limited of IT......couldnt hurt

Araknid01
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello everyone!

I have been doing some research on clamshell/traycases for the five "Doubleday" books. I found these after much research and they seem to be of good quality. I have ordered these two and have contracted the place that produces these to make ones for The Stand, Salem's Lot, and The Shining.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8492/kingnightshiftcase1.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3280/kingcarriecase1.jpg

With that being said, I was wondering if I can get them to produce these, how many people would be interested in any/all of them?

Can anyone that is more experienced in making a poll help me with something that would keep track of which ones people would be interested in buying?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Count me out. They are not worth the asking price.

frik
06-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I do like them. Depending on the asking price, I would be interested.

sk

lophophoras
06-07-2010, 03:22 AM
It will totally depend on asking price.

carlosdetweiller
06-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Those look like the ones TBCL has been selling (on eBay and elsewhere) for a while. They are nice but expensive.

I bought a similar one for my best copy of ATLAS SHRUGGED a few years ago from them. I like it and it has a removable block to keep the pages from sagging due to the weight of the book.

If money is no object then they are pretty nice but I think there are more affordable alternatives out there.

e_taylor
06-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Four years ago when I first joined eBay, TBCL tried to screw me over.

I will never buy anything from them, or advocate buying anything from them.

I won't deny that they are nice cases, but I'm not sure they are worth the asking price, and in any case I don't want to help add to their bottom line.

carlosdetweiller
06-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Would you mind providing the details of your experience with TBCL? While I find them to be hideously expensive on most of their books I have never had a problem with them. I'd be interested to know what happened with you.

e_taylor
06-07-2010, 04:51 AM

Would you mind providing the details of your experience with TBCL? While I find them to be hideously expensive on most of their books I have never had a problem with them. I'd be interested to know what happened with you.

Long story short, I sold them a copy of Atlas Shrugged. In less than desirable shape, but fully and adequately described. They took six weeks to finally pay, and when they received the book they made claims of damage that was not there. (Aside: I had been working with a bookstore here in town and both I and the owner of the store meticulously went through it page by page prior to listing it for sale - what they were claiming was not there). I looked through their feedback and saw that they had bought dozens of copies of the same book in the prior two months - one of which had the damage they were claiming. I suggested that maybe they had mixed the two up, and they started sending profane emails and letters, threatening lawsuits and saying they would ruin our reputation in the book selling community. All over $250. Nothing ended up happening, aside from a few months of threats. But, long story short I will never do any business with them.

thecollector
06-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Assuming no one else comes out with them on a mass scale, my plan is to get all the early doubleday cases done, similar in design and price (although not necessarily in color) to the Stand case. Of course at my current rate of 1-2 new cases a year it won't be tomorrow.

lophophoras
06-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Assuming no one else comes out with them on a mass scale, my plan is to get all the early doubleday cases done, similar in design and price (although not necessarily in color) to the Stand case. Of course at my current rate of 1-2 new cases a year it won't be tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Very cool Tomas! I'm holding out for yours...

:rock:

Lenny
05-24-2011, 10:22 AM
It seems some of us had our wish come true yesterday. Really can't think of a better limited edition to be done this year. 25th anniversary of IT is perfect.

Sir_Boomme
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM

I so look forward to CD (rather than Necessary Evil) producing THIS traycase for IT here...

It's SO going to look good sitting next to my metal caged lettered edition bone book.

Stockerlone
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
My sig lim ´Dream-Book´is:

The Dark Half

Stored in a black wood Traycase with ´bird-plumes´
Book: black leather goat kidskin imprinted spine
Marbled End sheets
The book is in ENGLISH AND GERMAN language.
The Eng. half with art from Wrightson, the German half with art from Gerhard Axmann
Coverart Bernie Wrightson, Backart Gerhard Axmann
Limited to 200
price.... ???
Signed by King, Wrightson, Axmann

In germany we have Ramsey Campbell: The Guide. Der Reiseführer from Edition Phantasia as a German + English book version. This was my inspiration for a TWO language SK Book....

thegreattim
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd really love to see a limited edition of Needful Things.

I envision a Artist Edition of the book, a bit oversize perhaps with several interior color plates by Edward Miller. A full wraparound dustjacket would include a detail of the storefront and Brian Rusk on the front, in daylight. On the back: the store dark, foreboding, and abandoned with the door kicked in; Gaunt shifting into the troll thing and his firey carriage in the foreground and perhaps the bridge exploding in the far distance. A leatherette slipcase with a font and one color foil stamping to match the design of the book would be included. Fully cloth bound on standard acid free paper stock. 2,000 copies at $85, numbered and signed by Miller.

The Limited Edition would contain all of the above. In addition it would be signed by King and Miller both on a specially designed full color glossy limitation page. I envision this page to possibly portray a elevated 1/2 profile map of Castle Rock with the incidences of violence from latter in the book marked out by drops of red paint splatter, designed to look like blood. Perhaps the names of the combatants/protagonists/victims could be printed next to these blood markers as well. Also included would be a bound in silk ribbon marker with the words Caveat Emptor embroidered in a Latin or Gaelic style font. The traycase would be more or less typical, with felt lining, and the exterior designed to look like the shop front. Genuine leatherbound, and printed in two colors throughout on 80# Mohawk Superfine. 700 copies at $400.

The Lettered edition would be a thing of beauty and creative sculpturing. Containing all of the above, with the book block printed on Mohawk Ultrafelt instead and 1/3 bound in Morrocan leather and Japanese silk, with raised spines bands and hand marbles endpapers. Gilt trimmed edges. The traycase would be hand crafted out of a rich hardwood with the storefront image burned into the case. This lettered edition is built to be displayed with the the case open however. While the book will still be seated on the right, the left half of the case would fold out some. A collapse-able canvas awning can be pulled out with metal rods to prop it outward against the edges of the case. The awning would be designed as per the book description. Inset into the main portion of the case, under the awning, would be a miniature and durable three dimensional model of each of the items Gaunt sold to the townfolk, each in its own custom inset. Brian's Koufax card, Ace's coonskin hat, Nettie's glass, the Presley portrait, a tiny sliver of fossilized wood, etc... all appearing to be resting on a tiered display. Each of the insets would marked with the name of the person who bought the item, seen only when the item is removed. Over top of all these items, a removable glass lid would ensure they all stay in place and upon which is acid-etched the name of the store/book. 26 copies at $1,800 perhaps, probably more though.

A bit over the top, I know. But this is my dream anyway.

Randall Flagg
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
That is a fabulous description. I am excited just visualizing it.

tomi_cc16
05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
I love the Fanmade Cover for the Complete Edition of "The Darkt Tower" from Klaus Spangenmacher ( www.stephen-king.de )

This is really a beautiful "fake" cover.

http://wiki.stephen-king.de/images/8/82/Fiktivtitel.jpg

thegreattim
05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
That is a pretty well done and nice looking cover. I'd display that book on my shelf. Good lord, though. Can you imagine The Dark Tower in one volume, haha? I'd be like 3000 pages.

biomieg
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
There is a French two-volume edition. But a single volume... wow. That would a monster of a book!

tomi_cc16
05-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Any pictures of the french version?

herbertwest
05-28-2011, 05:33 AM
http://club-stephenking.fr/TOWER/Tower%20Images/DTCOVERS/dt1/La-tour-sombre-integrale-1.jpg http://club-stephenking.fr/TOWER/Tower%20Images/DTCOVERS/dt5/La-tour-sombre-integrale-2.jpg

French limited edition. Numbered & with a french bibliography.
The books are MASSIVE, like dictionnaries, and are completely unreadable. Also, the paper is REALLY THIN & FRAGILE.

Cook
05-28-2011, 06:34 AM
I would very much like to see a S/L Pet Semetary.
Housed in a superior quality clamshell tombstone.
Embossed Cloth with an inlay maybe.
Quantity? 24 Greek Lettered, 79 Limited, as long as I get #79
(Just kidding about limited qty)
Artwork by somebody "New", I love all the standard artist of the past but come-on... it gets old after awhile.
Some of the new artist's out there are amazing.

Randall Flagg
11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
How about a custom case for The Gunslinger that looks like a gun case?

Brice
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
That could be amazing!

Shannon
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Went searching for the "Create Your Dream Signed Limited Edition" thread but couldn't find it. So I will post it here.

I was thinking of a Stephen King/H.R. Giger collaboration. Can you imagine the slip/traycase on that one?

As far as which stories would be best told with Giger on board, I was thinking something metallic and/or slimy. Looking through the list, and not including any books that already have special editions, I realized there was nothing left that was metallic or slimy. So I'm at a loss. Maybe Night Shift or The Shining. :)

biomieg
01-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I would say that THE TOMMYKNOCKERS qualifies for a signed/limited edition with H.R. Giger artwork. After all, Giger worked on the art department of the ALIEN movies as well.

http://www.hrgiger.com/images/gigersalien.jpg

Shannon
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks to whoever moved my post, I appreciate it.

I haven't read the Tommyknockers so I wouldn't be able to give an opinion. It's about aliens, I presume? I have faith in H.R. Giger's ability as an artist, but I'm pretty sure anything Giger does in connection with aliens will come out something along the lines of the xenomorphs in the Alien movies.

Merlin1958
01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks to whoever moved my post, I appreciate it.

I haven't read the Tommyknockers so I wouldn't be able to give an opinion. It's about aliens, I presume? I have faith in H.R. Giger's ability as an artist, but I'm pretty sure anything Giger does in connection with aliens will come out something along the lines of the xenomorphs in the Alien movies.

You haven't read "The Tommyknockers"? What kind of collector are you? Read it immediately, it's one of my favorites!!! And don't "cheat" and watch the TV movie, the book is much better IMHO. I enjoyed the hell out of it. One of my "Top Ten", if you will.

Shannon
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Collecting and reading are two completely different things in my world. Whenever I can find the time, I am reading something King-y, though.

Garrell
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Like your last comment part Shannon! I collect King because his writings are the reasons to this day that I am a reader. When I collected comics years ago, it was for my favorite artist and writers. At the same time, if Harold Robbins books were worth anything (and they may be, for all I know), I would not collect them, yes I will read at least one book by any "famous" author. Collecting what you love, even if you do not read them is the main joy, but collecting SK with the passion that I have for his writings just adds to it. I love his old style and really do love the new stuff (-Lisey's Story, 3 attempts and still can't finish it but will someday, I did finish Bag of Bones, hehe).

Cook
05-12-2012, 08:11 AM
How about a custom case for The Gunslinger that looks like a gun case?

Not sure I understand your description ???

Randall Flagg
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
How about a custom case for The Gunslinger that looks feels like a gun case?

SierraKiloCollector
05-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd really love to see a limited edition of Needful Things.

I envision a Artist Edition of the book, a bit oversize perhaps with several interior color plates by Edward Miller. A full wraparound dustjacket would include a detail of the storefront and Brian Rusk on the front, in daylight. On the back: the store dark, foreboding, and abandoned with the door kicked in; Gaunt shifting into the troll thing and his firey carriage in the foreground and perhaps the bridge exploding in the far distance. A leatherette slipcase with a font and one color foil stamping to match the design of the book would be included. Fully cloth bound on standard acid free paper stock. 2,000 copies at $85, numbered and signed by Miller.

The Limited Edition would contain all of the above. In addition it would be signed by King and Miller both on a specially designed full color glossy limitation page. I envision this page to possibly portray a elevated 1/2 profile map of Castle Rock with the incidences of violence from latter in the book marked out by drops of red paint splatter, designed to look like blood. Perhaps the names of the combatants/protagonists/victims could be printed next to these blood markers as well. Also included would be a bound in silk ribbon marker with the words Caveat Emptor embroidered in a Latin or Gaelic style font. The traycase would be more or less typical, with felt lining, and the exterior designed to look like the shop front. Genuine leatherbound, and printed in two colors throughout on 80# Mohawk Superfine. 700 copies at $400.

The Lettered edition would be a thing of beauty and creative sculpturing. Containing all of the above, with the book block printed on Mohawk Ultrafelt instead and 1/3 bound in Morrocan leather and Japanese silk, with raised spines bands and hand marbles endpapers. Gilt trimmed edges. The traycase would be hand crafted out of a rich hardwood with the storefront image burned into the case. This lettered edition is built to be displayed with the the case open however. While the book will still be seated on the right, the left half of the case would fold out some. A collapse-able canvas awning can be pulled out with metal rods to prop it outward against the edges of the case. The awning would be designed as per the book description. Inset into the main portion of the case, under the awning, would be a miniature and durable three dimensional model of each of the items Gaunt sold to the townfolk, each in its own custom inset. Brian's Koufax card, Ace's coonskin hat, Nettie's glass, the Presley portrait, a tiny sliver of fossilized wood, etc... all appearing to be resting on a tiered display. Each of the insets would marked with the name of the person who bought the item, seen only when the item is removed. Over top of all these items, a removable glass lid would ensure they all stay in place and upon which is acid-etched the name of the store/book. 26 copies at $1,800 perhaps, probably more though.

A bit over the top, I know. But this is my dream anyway.

wow... that would be an amazing lettered edition!

neosatus
05-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd do something bound in human skin. Ideally each of the Lettered edition would have some sort of tattoo work etc. or other interesting distinctions. Within the book itself would be original artwork by the deceased, with signature of course--and maybe additional writings by said person. There would also be a portrait of the deceased by the book artist and a full 2-page spread highly-detailed remarque involving the story. Each would be original.

I think it would be fitting for the horror genre.

mistercrowley
05-13-2012, 03:48 AM
I'd like to do a limited of Duma Key. The book would have artwork throughout of all the pictures Edgar sketches and draws.

Merlin1958
05-13-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd like to do a limited of Duma Key. The book would have artwork throughout of all the pictures Edgar sketches and draws.

Surprisingly, this has been considered to a different degree in a "Dolso" case w/Don Maitz in the somewhat distant future. Nothing definite yet or, in the "offing", but if there is enough interest it just may be possible!!!

Have your opinion heard!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15056-What-if-anything-would-you-like-to-see-as-the-next-quot-Dolso-Ltd-Art-Case-quot-Go-crazy!!

needfulthings
05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img403/4248/dscn5777.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img804/8030/dscn5778.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img851/4546/dscn5779z.jpg

Shannon
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Love it.

Ari_Racing
03-20-2013, 10:52 AM
So far we know that at least three proposals were rejected by King's office: Ben's Second Coming, Ben's Sword in the darkness and Centipede Press' The Shining.

Does anyone know of other proposals rejected? Prototypes made?

Coulrophobia
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I would love for TBCL to design a Clamshell Case for "IT" (25TH) in black. Have it embossed multi-layered, multi-mage [sculpted] design silhouette of the Orbik cover. So I can replace the gift edition brown slipcase that I really do not like at all.

Merlin1958
03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I would love for TBCL to design a Clamshell Case for "IT" (25TH) in black. Have it embossed multi-layered, multi-mage [sculpted] design silhouette of the Orbik cover. So I can replace the gift edition brown slipcase that I really do not like at all.

Oh, they'll do a "custom" case for ya, no problem, dude. Problem is the price. I would imagine even if they mass-produced it. I dealt with them before I found, Dolso and bookslipcase.com. Trust me, if you think a finely crafted, durable and wooden slip/tray case is pricey you do not want to see what TBCL has to offer!! Don't get me wrong, their cases are of good quality, but make no mistake they charge for it!!!

Coulrophobia
03-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Oh, they'll do a "custom" case for ya, no problem, dude. Problem is the price. I would imagine even if they mass-produced it. I dealt with them before I found, Dolso and bookslipcase.com. Trust me, if you think a finely crafted, durable and wooden slip/tray case is pricey you do not want to see what TBCL has to offer!! Don't get me wrong, their cases are of good quality, but make no mistake they charge for it!!!

I will do just that something in a nice piano black with red lettering. Thank you.

Merlin1958
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM

I will do just that something in a nice piano black with red lettering. Thank you.

Good for you!!! Enjoy!!!

barlow
06-22-2013, 01:00 PM

As mentioned earlier I think the limited of 'Salem's Lot is awesome but would have been even better had it included the original manuscript rather than the deleted scenes and related short stories from Night Shift. That said when I found out Doubleday planned to release a trade edition of the Centipede SL I approached them about including the original manuscript but, according to the editor, they were too far along with production to consider a change.
I wasn't surprised and decided to take matters into my own hands. I have some small press publishing experience and figured it couldn't hurt to put together a proposal for a limited edition of Second Coming . I submitted a sample chapter along with images and explained the reasoning as best I could. The reality is SL is my favorite book, period, and accordingly I have a strong interest in how it originated. I was less interested in a limited edition per se and more interested in the possibility of making the original manuscript available to SL enthusiasts like myself to read. Based on comments I've read from SK about limited editions and signatures I was careful with my approach and indicated to him that it wouldn't be necessary for him to sign any copies. I didn't care about the signature, I just wanted the story published.
Alas it wasn't meant to be. I received a polite thanks but no thanks from SK's mananger and that was it. From an objective standpoint it is easy to see why. The Centipede limited was published in 2004 followed by the Douleday trade edition a year later so it really didn't make sense to do anything else with the story. Of course that's the point!
Anyway it was an interesting and enjoyable experience. As I was working on design and trying to decide what I wanted to do with images I contacted Glenn Chadbourne about the possibility of doing illustrations. SL is one of his favorite SK books and Glenn is very familiar with the landscape around Cumberland where Jerusalem's Lot is supposed to be located. I also contacted the Durham Historical Society about getting a picture of the real Marsten House (named after its last occupants) that was located on The Deep Cut Road. It overlooked a section of town called Methodist Corners and it is this house, along with the Shiloh Church in Durham, that was the basis for the Marsten House in SL. In the end I went a different direction with images. For posterity I've a attached a picture of the real Marsten House (circa 1920s) along with the painting by Robert Addison that I had planned to use for the Marsten House part opener in Second Coming ...

This really is an awesome story and a beautiful book, I was wondering did you send one of your prototypes to King as part of the proposal? Or have you had a chance to show it to him at an event you have attended since? If he has seen it what did he think of it?

Ken

Ben Mears
06-22-2013, 03:54 PM

This really is an awesome story and a beautiful book, I was wondering did you send one of your prototypes to King as part of the proposal? Or have you had a chance to show it to him at an event you have attended since? If he has seen it what did he think of it?

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for your kind words.
My original intention was to send two of the prototypes to SK if the proposal was accepted. When that didn't occur I felt it would be inappropriate to send them after the fact.
I've never attended an SK event so haven't had the opportunity to meet him. It certainly would be interesting to see his reaction if I were to present a copy for him to sign!

barlow
06-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Ken

Ken,

My original intention was to send two of the prototypes to SK if the proposal was accepted. When that didn't occur I felt it would be inappropriate to send them after the fact.
I've never attended an SK event so haven't had the opportunity to meet him. It certainly would be interesting to see his reaction if I were to present a copy for him to sign!

Thank you for sharing the info about this amazing project that almost was. You mentioned softbound leather, is that what you did for the prototypes, I assume if you had a soft leather binding you would have to use silk or some other type of cloth end papers?

Ken

Ben Mears
06-23-2013, 05:14 AM

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for sharing the info about this amazing project that almost was. You mentioned softbound leather, is that what you did for the prototypes, I assume if you had a soft leather binding you would have to use silk or some other type of cloth end papers?

Ken

Only one of the prototypes was soft bound (no boards); the other three were traditional hard bound. I used the same leather and interior end paper on all four although silk or cloth for the soft bound would have been nice.

Theli
01-06-2017, 08:35 AM
As the title suggests, what is your fantasy limited edition or rebound book? What would you include? How would you do the binding? If it's a new limited edition with illustrations, who would you choose as illustrator?

firemonkey66
01-06-2017, 08:43 AM
The Tommyknockers illustrated by Mark Ryden. Subtly and finely bound in something that glows eerily green in the dark. I'm not quite sure how that could be made to happen, but it would be cool.

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
The Tommyknockers illustrated by Mark Ryden. Subtly and finely bound in something that glows eerily green in the dark. I'm not quite sure how that could be made to happen, but it would be cool.

kinda like the old black light posters that glow... that would be cool.

I think Duma Key S/L would be awesome. As for binding I like to leave that open but Artist would be Don Maitz all the way.
Would also love a beautiful edition of 11/22/63. Cover should be pound cake :evil:. That one I think Tomas did an awesome job on the case he built for it so would not mind building on his ideas. As for Artwork I have no idea as I'm not a historical buff but someone that could do time-y pieces.

biomieg
01-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Different Seasons all the way!

Beverly Marsh
01-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Cancelling out all S/L's already done and the anniversary editions from CD and PS I would LOVE to see something done for Needful Things.

HONKYTONKSMASH
01-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Different Seasons, Misery, Needful Things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theli
01-06-2017, 09:08 AM

kinda like the old black light posters that glow... that would be cool.

I think Duma Key S/L would be awesome. As for binding I like to leave that open but Artist would be Don Maitz all the way.
Would also love a beautiful edition of 11/22/63. Cover should be pound cake :evil:. That one I think Tomas did an awesome job on the case he built for it so would not mind building on his ideas. As for Artwork I have no idea as I'm not a historical buff but someone that could do time-y pieces.

I have a copy of Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk with glow in the dark font and cover art, and it's just a regular trade PB. So I'm sure at the least that could be done relatively cheaply and easily.

bdwyer19
01-06-2017, 09:09 AM
I would agree that something that has not gotten the S/L treatment before would be best. Duma Key would top my list, followed by Misery and Needful Things.

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Yeah I have that one too. Problem with most glow in the dark is it wears out over time. Probably UV fades it but it needs UV to work lol

Theli
01-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Yeah I have that one too. Problem with most glow in the dark is it wears out over time. Probably UV fades it but it needs UV to work lol

My problem with that book isn't so much the glow in the dark aspect, though I didn't know about those issues, it's that the book is pretty dreadful in my opinion.

firemonkey66
01-06-2017, 09:54 AM

My problem with that book isn't so much the glow in the dark aspect, though I didn't know about those issues, it's that the book is pretty dreadful in my opinion.

I've got a soft spot for it. I like books about aliens and The Tommyknockers was a really cool variation. I'd take that book over 75% of the books he's written in the last 10-15 years.

wolfehr
01-06-2017, 09:59 AM

I loved Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, and Lullaby. Haunted was up next, and I was horribly disappointed. I think I made it like 30 pages before I gave up.

wolfehr
01-06-2017, 10:00 AM
I'd love a Pet Sematary S/L

Theli
01-06-2017, 10:00 AM

I've got a soft spot for it. I like books about aliens and The Tommyknockers was a really cool variation. I'd take that book over 75% of the books he's written in the last 10-15 years.

I wasn't referring to The Tommyknockers, I actually haven't read it. I meant Haunted by Palahniuk was dreadful.

I loved Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, and Lullaby. Haunted was up next, and I was horribly disappointed. I think I made it like 30 pages before I gave up.

Wise decision my friend. It doesn't get much better from there.

firemonkey66
01-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I wasn't referring to The Tommyknockers, I actually haven't read it. I meant Haunted by Palahniuk was dreadful.

Ahhh, I see it now. The Tommyknockers is generally viewed as pretty dreadful, especially by King himself, which is probably why I assumed you were referring to it. Like I said, though, I've got a soft spot for it:)

Beverly Marsh
01-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Ahhh, I see it now. The Tommyknockers is generally viewed as pretty dreadful, especially by King himself, which is probably why I assumed you were referring to it. Like I said, though, I've got a soft spot for it:)

Me too Anthony :)

St. Troy
01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
I'd say, when it comes to alien-oriented SK novels, The Tommyknockers holds up pretty well when compared to Dreamcatcher.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I think we have a thread on this subject.
I'll look around.

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2017, 11:08 AM
I'd say, when it comes to alien-oriented SK novels, The Tommyknockers holds up pretty well when compared to Dreamcatcher.

I'll put it in spoilers so no one gets the ending ruined.

Under the Dome was a great alien book

Randall Flagg
01-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Here is a similar thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7033-If-you-published-a-Limited-edition-or-were-designing-a-traycase-what-would-it-be). I feel a merge coming on.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Stay tuned for the 2017 HF fundraiser. We have a very special Different Seasons coming.

Theli
01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Here is a similar thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7033-If-you-published-a-Limited-edition-or-were-designing-a-traycase-what-would-it-be). I feel a merge coming on.

Complete with downsizing and synergy!

Stay tuned for the 2017 HF fundraiser. We have a very special Different Seasons coming.

Very exciting!

Randall Flagg
05-09-2019, 03:27 PM
This book was created for private commission

It is one of only three copies; what I like to call the Flagg editions

Using a true U.S. Trade First Edition of Stephen King’s “Different Seasons” each of the four stories has been separately bound in chocolate Italian goatskin

Original art has been stamped into the cover of each book, and slipcase. One book set stamped in red, one in white, and one in blue

All books feature special endpapers representing the four different seasons we all live and die by

Many unique things are inside, only to be discovered by the person who holds the book

Jerome Smith (Aka Randall Flagg)

TheDarkTower.org

wizardsrainbow
05-09-2019, 03:37 PM
I'm on board!

Randall Flagg
05-09-2019, 03:40 PM
I'm on board!
Lucky you.

Garrell
05-09-2019, 03:53 PM

It is one of only three copies; what I like to call the Flagg editions

Using a true U.S. Trade First Edition of Stephen King’s “Different Seasons” each of the four stories has been separately bound in chocolate Italian goatskin

Original art has been stamped into the cover of each book, and slipcase. One book set stamped in red, one in white, and one in blue

All books feature special endpapers representing the four different seasons we all live and die by

Many unique things are inside, only to be discovered by the person who holds the book

That sounds awesome

St. Troy
05-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Was there supposed to be a link or photo with this? It sounds awesome, but reads like there's more to it (it could just be me).

jsteltor
05-10-2019, 09:22 AM
I would love to do a s/l edition of The Mist. The dj text could be represented by threads of spider silk. Maybe along the spine of the dj, a tentacle. I would love to see interior color illustrations as a gallery of monsters/creatures.

The physical style of the book could be similar to Cycle of the Werewolf, glossy pages, maybe not as oversized. This would give it a "picture" book feeling IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist sets the # of pages in Skeleton Crew at 134 so the book wouldn't be huge.

St. Troy
05-10-2019, 09:42 AM
It just occurred to me that a post I left (in 2017) might sensibly be repeated here.

It describes a different direction one might go in for an edition of It (different from CD's existing one).

T-Dogz had raised the idea of CD doing a Viking years set (akin to the Doubleday Years set) and I began by asking if he envisioned CD doing another run of It or skipping it because they'd already done one; this question led me to imagine a completely different way to do it, I wrote the details down there, and repeat them here:

- broken into two volumes (because they already did a single-volume edition; why not differentiate it, and this could mean some kind of super-thick paper);

- illustrations that don't focus on individuals (no close shots, no faces), instead focusing on "wide-angle" scenes: think the canal, the Barrens (both of which can come across as pretty damn ominous with nothing happening in them), The Black Spot in flames with the bird overhead, or the entire grounds of the Kitchener Ironworks, both on the day of the easter egg hunt and on the day Mike is wandering around the ruins, and most especially, a long shot of the final time they leave the Barrens one by one (the "No one talks; they climb the embankment to Kansas Street and simply take leave of one another..." section, which still gives me chills to read, even now - Goddamnit this is a good book) - that could be like an aerial shot encompassing the Barrens and the surrounding streets; there's lots that could be done this way;

- the sole exception to "no close shots/no faces" would be Pennywise, but even then, it should avoid multiple shots of him as a clown, instead using single shots of his various guises (think Dracula in the library: "An ancient man-thing with a face like a twisted root" - that is nuts - or the Mummy: "There were bandages, most of them around its neck & wrists, blowing back in the wind, but Ben could see the clown's face clearly. It was deeply lined, the skin a parchment map of wrinkles, tattered cheeks, arid flesh") - I would like these illustrations to be sufficiently horrible (and not in a "bucket of blood"/Friday the 13th way - I just mean the total opposite of pulp/camp) that you would want to hide this book from young children (other than for the fact that little hands do large damage to nice things, of course);

- everything (interior and exterior art and printing etc., even the ribbon page marker) done with a very dark palette - either black or gray or so dark it looks like it (maybe with a very few touches of red - maybe), with images that are more harsh, weathered and stony in character than anything else. I am not well-versed in the world of horror art and artists, but when trying to find something close to what I had in mind I found these:

http://popcornhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/odium_humani_generis_by_apocalypticporcelain-d77fuuh.jpg

...this is a bit smoother than what I have in mind, but is close.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/322058199406-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

...this one has a bit more color than I would like, and of course looks a bit too much like a video game still, but otherwise isn't far from what I have in mind.

Ok, I've talked myself into CD It v2.

Or, given all the dark/black/gray etc., maybe what I've actually described is what a Centipede Press It would look like.

I later added:

...and an illustration of this scene (ok to use a deep navy blue for the sky on this!):

"He’s the last to go. He stands for a long time with his hands on the rickety white fence, looking down into the Barrens as, overhead, the first stars seed the summer sky. He stands under the blue and over the black and watches the Barrens fill up with darkness."

That would be my choice to close the thing.

Randall Flagg
05-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Was there supposed to be a link or photo with this? It sounds awesome, but reads like there's more to it (it could just be me).

The books are in the process of being bound. They should be done in ~3 weeks. I'll post pics of the exteriors and endpapers, but not the other interior goodies as they are private.

St. Troy
05-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Does "for private commission" mean that all copies are going to the same person (who has already paid/committed to pay)? Not asking for private info, just wondering about the general situation.

Randall Flagg
05-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Does "for private commission" mean that all copies are going to the same person (who has already paid/committed to pay)? Not asking for private info, just wondering about the general situation.
There will be three sets made. One stamped in red, one stamped in white, and one stamped in blue. Each set goes to a different person. Two sets are 100% committed to, and the third set has someone with first dibs once the price is finalized. If the person declines, I'll either keep it, or sell it here or on ebay.

DoctorZaius
05-10-2019, 12:55 PM
I would love to do a s/l edition of The Mist. The dj text could be represented by threads of spider silk. Maybe along the spine of the dj, a tentacle. I would love to see interior color illustrations as a gallery of monsters/creatures.

The physical style of the book could be similar to Cycle of the Werewolf, glossy pages, maybe not as oversized. This would give it a "picture" book feeling IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist sets the # of pages in Skeleton Crew at 134 so the book wouldn't be huge.

I would love to see this one. Great idea.

Randall Flagg
05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

So what is stopping you?
Go get it done.

Merlin1958
05-10-2019, 04:52 PM

So what is stopping you?
Go get it done.

Yes, really!!It's not as difficult as it seems. Contract an artist for the pics, get a decent copy of SK for the page block and send it all to a binder.

jsteltor
05-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Stop teasing (tempting) me! Is it really that easy (relatively)?

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Yes.

Randall Flagg
05-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Yes.
Easy, yes for a professional binder. Cheap-no. Particularly if you are making only a few or especially Just one. An artist would have to design (draw) your concept for the cover art if you are having the book stamped, then the stamps themselves have to be created from the art you had created. The stamps might be $100 or more each. Suppose 2 stamps (one for the spine tentacles, and one for the cover text)-that's $200-$300 for the stamps, plus whatever you paid the artist to do the work (which after the stamps were made, I would have the original art bound in the book).

Suppose a simple leather binding, and simple slipcase, now you might want cool endpapers.

Just a rough draft (your mileage may vary):

Book $25 + $5 media mail shipping to book binder = $30
Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
Two stamps made of magnesium (cheapest material, fine for multiple stamping, but not for 100's of stampings) and drilling of holes in the stamps-for mounting in press $250
Custom leather binding, and slipcase with artwork stamped on them, custom endpapers, two pieces of art bound in $175
Shipping of stamps and book back to you $35

Total $640

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Yes.
Easy, yes for a professional binder. Cheap-no. Particularly if you are making only a few or especially Just one. An artist would have to design (draw) your concept for the cover art if you are having the book stamped, then the stamps themselves have to be created from the art you had created. The stamps might be $100 or more each. Suppose 2 stamps (one for the spine tentacles, and one for the cover text)-that's $200-$300 for the stamps, plus whatever you paid the artist to do the work (which after the stamps were made, I would have the original art bound in the book).

Suppose a simple leather binding, and simple slipcase, now you might want cool endpapers.

Just a rough draft (your mileage may vary):

Book $25 + $5 media mail shipping to book binder = $30
Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
Two stamps made of magnesium (cheapest material, fine for multiple stamping, but not for 100's of stampings) and drilling of holes in the stamps-for mounting in press $250
Custom leather binding, and slipcase with artwork stamped on them, custom endpapers, two pieces of art bound in $175
Shipping of stamps and book back to you $35

Total $640

I never said it was cheap!! lol However some of that can be broken down into phases to allow you to parcel out the funds somewhat. Nevertheless imagine your smile at the end of it all coupled with the pride for what you have accomplished!!!

herbertwest
05-11-2019, 10:42 AM
I keep hearing french fans complaining that there are no cool french limited editions, like the PS / CD ones. Which is a good thing for my bank account.
But I also keep wondering if there is not something I could do about it...

Munnecom
05-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Do people like Glenn Chadbourne, Erin Wells, Vincent Chong, Les Edwards and the like (all of whom I'd consider big-name horror illustrators) work for those rates, or is this figure for a lesser-known artist?

Randall Flagg
05-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Do people like Glenn Chadbourne, Erin Wells, Vincent Chong, Les Edwards and the like (all of whom I'd consider big-name horror illustrators) work for those rates, or is this figure for a lesser-known artist?

Chadbourne probably. Wells isn't doing horror anymore, Chong, and Edwards, unlikely.
Rachel Redman, and Alex McVey possibly. Remember the cover, spine art are black pencil, ink, not fully colored, and for that book they are small images, thus not as expensive as a full color 7x9 image.

Edit: the tentacles image for the spine would be a very small image. Perhaps 1/4 " wide and not very tall, particularly if you want to leave room for the title. Even full size the tentacle would be 1/4" wide x 6" tall.
Not a complicated imaged, thus less expensive.
I'd check with Chadbourne.

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Chadbourne probably. Wells isn't doing horror anymore, Chong, and Edwards, unlikely.
Rachel Redman, and Alex McVey possibly. Remember the cover, spine art are black pencil, ink, not fully colored, and for that book they are small images, thus not as expensive as a full color 7x9 image.

Edit: the tentacles image for the spine would be a very small image. Perhaps 1/4 " wide and not very tall, particularly if you want to leave room for the title. Even full size the tentacle would be 1/4" wide x 6" tall.
Not a complicated imaged, thus less expensive.
I'd check with Chadbourne.

I can pitch in here a little if you don't mind, El Jefe............................................

Jerome would be the man regarding the measurements and such. The edition sizes are generally thesame with a few exceptions and any customization you may have in mind. J, is correct with regard to the spine/cover/slipcase art being B/W pencil drawings because the color will be determined by the stamping process. That generally makes the cost for this art a little cheaper. For the inside illustrations you may want to go with full color illustrations which will run you in the same ballpark of a full page remarque from the chosen artist. Something to consider is that its your production so you can feel free to choose a different artist than the one that was chosen for the 1/1 edition. In fact, IMHO that's the way to go with a production like this rather than try to copy the original production. Remember, its your show. You determine the edition size, number, dedication, etc.

I know and have dealt with all of the artists, Jerome mentioned plus a few more from my days working for the HF. And I would be happy to offer an assist in contacting them, making an introduction and negotiating, etc. If you should want. What, Jerome quoted as a price was a general costs as the artist prices vary in range. Therefore each artist has to be negotiated with individually which, also affords you the opportunity to get involved with the scene/illustration composition making the edition even more your creation/vision.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. FWIW I would recommend that after determining which book you want to deal with and securing the page block, the first thing you find is a competent binder in your area/region. Once that is secured you can begin looking for an artist to contribute to your edition. Remember, as far as the page block goes, that is solely what you are looking for so the actually DJ (if there is one) and the hard cover condition are of no concern what so ever. Neither is the existing binding. Only the actual page block will be of concern and utilized.

jsteltor
05-11-2019, 02:30 PM
You all have given me a lot of information which is what I was mulling over. I figured the price to produce a book was going to be at least $500 depending on artist and materials used. I was reading some of Paul's blogs on DragonRebound to get an idea of what he went through. Very involved.

I did wonder about a couple of things. First, is there really a market for these rebound editions aside from what Paul produces? With the initial investment, it wouldn't make sense to pursue it and lose money. Plus I wouldn't want to take away from what Paul is doing even though the books would not be competing against each other.

Second, does anyone think these rebound books would "saturate" the market?

On another note, I was looking at the Dark Forces edition that Brian at Lonely Road put out and I don't see how anything could compete with what he did, especially using trade page blocks. I know the text isn't exactly the same since King revised the story for Skeleton Crew, but still...

Oh, and last, do these need to be authorized by King and his people?

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Oh, and last, do these need to be authorized by King and his people?

No, He has been paid by the initial purchase of the book whether by you or someone else. You own and therefore can do what you wish. Though you do have to avoid copyright infringement in the font titling. The art is free and clear as well between you and the artist.

Munnecom
05-11-2019, 10:26 PM
First, is there really a market for these rebound editions aside from what Paul produces?

David over at The Overlook Connection/Stephen King Catalog has also started doing his own rebound editions. First up is, coincidentally, The Mist. He uses the newly released stand-alone paperback edition for this. There are three versions:

Numbered edition (https://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/mist-hardcover-signed-numbered-p-2693.html) (I don't know the limitation of this one)
1/20 Lettered edition (https://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/mist-hardcover-signed-lettered-120-p-2692.html) (Includes an original Chadbourne piece)
1/1 Solo edition (https://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/mist-hardcover-signed-solo-11-p-2694.html) (This comes with the original 11x17 Chadbourne painting that is used for the jacket illustration and it sold within a few hours of being announced)

He is also doing an artbook of Chadbourne's illustrations (the originals of which are included with the lettered edition). That comes close to your idea for a monster gallery.

I believe Apt Pupil and The Sun Dog are next, though I'm not sure if these will simply be hardcover-bound versions of the new paperback releases or if David is going all out on these as well, with illustrations and the like.

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 10:42 PM
A HC for a paperback? IDK about that. Plus, unfortunately, Dave traditionally produces a lower end product (if he actually completes it) lacking in good taste. He doe help keep, Glenn in heating oil and I mean hat in a good way.

Munnecom
05-11-2019, 11:23 PM
That last is certainly true, haha!

I have a few OCP books (rebound Bachman Books, lettered Girl Next Door, a few other Jack Ketchum titles) and although they are nothing fancy, they are solidly made books. On a personal note, David has been instrumental in helping me build my Ketchum collection and I have only good experiences in dealing with him. I believe he's not that popular on this board (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd certainly vouch for him.

kingfan2323
05-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Why the David and OCP hate? Curious.

Merlin1958
05-13-2019, 05:32 PM

It's a very long and sordid story of delays, non-delivery shoddy product and half truths to go into. I was a staunch supporter many years ago, but his continual issues just forced me and I am sure others to just face the facts and wise up in general in his regard. It's kind of a shame really.

webstar1000
05-14-2019, 04:09 AM

Overblown, overpriced, overpromised, overdone and underdelivered, SHIT. Total noncollectable garbage.

Randall Flagg
06-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I present to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1559950798-Flagg%20trio%20slipcases.JPG

Earl of Popkin
06-07-2019, 03:54 PM
So, a Randall Flagg Flag

kingfan2323
06-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I presnt to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1559950798-Flagg%20trio%20slipcases.JPGReally good looking Slips!

seeking: anything DT related #246
Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)

Garrell
06-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I presnt to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1559950798-Flagg%20trio%20slipcases.JPG
Very very nice

herbertwest
06-07-2019, 11:57 PM
Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I present to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

Its almost the french flag

Munnecom
06-08-2019, 07:28 AM
I'll take the red one, please.

Randall Flagg
06-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Some more pics:

Apt Pupil (L) and Shawshank Redemtion:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560008973-White%20Shawshank%20and%20Apt%20Pupil.JPG

The Body (L) and The Breathing Method:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560008984-White%20Body%20and%20Breathing%20method.JPG

Hope Springs Eternal endpapers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009042-Hope%20springs%20eternal%20endpapers.JPG

Summer of Corruption Endpapers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009054-Summer%20of%20corruption%20endpapers.JPG

Fall From Innocence endpapers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009013-Fall%20from%20innocence%20endpapers.JPG

A Winters Tale endpapers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009031-Winter%20endpapers.JPG

Andy:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009071-Andy%20Shawshank.JPG

Shawshank Guard:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009084-Shawshank%20Guard.JPG

Colophon:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560009109-Flagg%20version%20colophon.JPG

Garrell
06-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Can't wait to discover, hehe:nana:
Extremely well done btw

St. Troy
06-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Looks very special indeed.

Merlin1958
06-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Great job as usual, J!!!!! Very cool indeed!!!

Ari_Racing
06-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Very nice! Congrats!

Randall Flagg
06-14-2019, 09:24 AM
There happened to be an extra set of the art prints, and just enough goat skin left to do a chapbook with the art only. Here are a few samples:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532453-Artwork%20chapbook.JPG

Original art:

Prints:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560533079-Vane%20chapbook.JPG

Andy driving:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532473-Andy%20driving%20chapbook.JPG

Apt Pupil by Don Maitz. Check out the smoke from the cigarette:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532482-Apt%20Pupil%20Chapbook.JPG

webstar1000
06-14-2019, 09:35 AM
Nice job RF:)

Merlin1958
06-14-2019, 09:41 AM
There happened to be an extra set of the art prints, and just enough goat skin left to do a chapbook with the art only. Here are a few samples:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532453-Artwork%20chapbook.JPG

Original art:

Prints:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560533079-Vane%20chapbook.JPG

Andy driving:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532473-Andy%20driving%20chapbook.JPG

Apt Pupil by Don Maitz. Check out the smoke from the cigarette:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1560532482-Apt%20Pupil%20Chapbook.JPG

Boy, I'd just LOVE to have one of those!!!! I'll just keep on dreaming though. :cry:

Garrell
06-14-2019, 09:49 AM
Wow, really cool artwork, favorite is the apt pupil one

St. Troy
06-14-2019, 09:54 AM
...I would like you to mass produce some of this magic...

The Library Policeman
06-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Looks fabulous, J. Love the Apt Pupil piece 8)

vincent
06-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Fantastic!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

OldCrow88
06-15-2019, 02:05 AM
Adding my voice to the kudos: Amazing!

Patrick
06-15-2019, 12:07 PM
My one and only rebound copy of any edition and one of my favorite Stephen King books. Nicely done, Jerome! Especially all the great pieces from five artists.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/B92804B2-7352-47EC-BD4A-E27910B8BB5B.jpeg

If I ever run into SK outside a men’s bathroom again, I hope I have this book and a pen with me.

Randall Flagg
06-15-2019, 12:09 PM
I love the red.
I can't believe I didn't keep one of the three.

Patrick
06-15-2019, 12:13 PM
I love the red.
I can't believe I didn't keep one of the three.
I don’t know what you were thinking either!
On a side note, this is my only copy of DIFFERENT SEASONS as my old paperback went by the wayside long ago.

The Library Policeman
06-15-2019, 02:38 PM
Looks amazing. Congratulations, Patrick.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-16-2019, 12:24 AM
If I ever run into SK outside a men’s bathroom again, I hope I have this book and a pen with me.

Te amount of men's bathrooms you hang around almost guarantees it.

(You walked into that one) :)

herbertwest
06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
This looks amazing !
Maybe you should "licence" it to Suntup ;)

mattgreenbean
06-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Those end papers are great!

Ari_Racing
06-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Looks amazing, Patrick! Congrats!

Patrick
06-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Thanks, guys!

The amount of men's bathrooms you hang around almost guarantees it.

(You walked into that one) :)
:doh:

Randall Flagg
07-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Take a true 1st edition 1st print hardback of The Bachman Books. Divide the book into the four stories within. Rage would be bound in black leather, The Long Walk in red leather, Roadwork in white leather, and The Running man in blue leather. All four books will have unique art stamped into the cover.

Have two famous artists do two original pieces of art for each story; yes 16 total pieces of original art bound into the set of books (not counting the 4 original pieces used to stamp the book covers).

Custom endpapers for each book.

A nubuck slipcase that has type and font similar to the original book cover stamped on front and back, as well as similar stamping on the spine.

kingfan2323
07-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Take a true 1st edition 1st print hardback of The Bachman Books. Divide the book into the four stories within. Rage would be bound in black leather, The Long Walk in red leather, Roadwork in white leather, and The Running man in blue leather. All four books will have unique art stamped into the cover.

Have two famous artists do two original pieces of art for each story; yes 16 total pieces of original art bound into the set of books (not counting the 4 original pieces used to stamp the book covers).

Custom endpapers for each book.

A nubuck slipcase that has type and font similar to the original book cover stamped on front and back, as well as similar stamping on the spine.Shit! Someone has been thinking about it! Love it. Sounds awesome.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

Randall Flagg
07-22-2019, 04:57 PM
I should clarify that there will be 4 sets of books, thus 2 original pieces of art in each book (one each by the two artists). There may be similarities in the pieces, but each will be distinctly different, and likely numbered.

No two books will be the same, thus each of the four sets will be unique.

The limitation will be Roman numerated. I-IV

Randall Flagg
08-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Of course you need endpapers. Now I have to decide which to use for each story.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566240768-BB%20endpapers%201small.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566240790-BB%20endpapers%203small.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566240780-BB%20endpapers%202small.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566240801-BB%20endpapers%204small.jpeg

lotuz
08-19-2019, 11:02 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566240801-BB%20endpapers%204small.jpeg

This one screams RAGE to me! It's also my favorite of the four. All are nice, though! I'm a sucker for marbled endpapers...

swintek
08-19-2019, 09:06 PM
The answer is obvious, isn't it?:

In the same order as endpapers are presented:

A) The Running Man
B) The Long Walk
C) Roadwork
D) Rage

Randall Flagg
08-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Try to use great original art.

Rage:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566943302-Chadbourne%20Rage%20locker%20578x722.jpg

The Running Man (I love this image. Chadbourne integrated the cockpit POV, and the exterior approach by the jet)

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1566943286-Chadbourne%20Running%20Man%202%20cockpit%20615x742 .jpg

wizardsrainbow
08-27-2019, 09:02 PM
My one and only rebound copy of any edition and one of my favorite Stephen King books. Nicely done, Jerome! Especially all the great pieces from five artists.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/B92804B2-7352-47EC-BD4A-E27910B8BB5B.jpeg

A photographer I am NOT....Patrick owns the red set....I bought the blue set....as Shawshank is one of my favorite King stories (and I already got Alex McVey to sketch in one of my first editions, Red, Andy and the Warden), my blue set has an original McVey sketch of Byron Hadley, the "bad" prison guard.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/DS1.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/DS2.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/DS3.jpg