2.519230769 (Graded B+)

Quality of Ending:
2.548076923 (Graded B+)

Overall Average Grade:
2.544871794 (Graded B+)

Combined Round 1 & 2 scores:

Daghain
01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
ABC on this one. I liked the story, but if it hadn't been for TDotT I probably would have quit right there. I hated the whole blade of grass ending, but otherwise I thought it was an okay book.

Sam
01-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Actually I thought the Plot was the weakest part of this book. I give it a B and gave the rest of the book two A's. I agree with Dags, if it hadn't been for TDotT I wouldn't have read any more. ACTUALLY, if it hadn't been for my brother's urging I wouldn't have read anymore. I was not impressed with The Gunslinger and am beginning to think I should have given the plot a "C".

Jean
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
B, C, B

Letti
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
AAA

obscurejude
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
All A's. I know its fragmented at parts, but it works within the aesthetic of the book itself. I don't know, it was magical to me and the one I've re-read the most.

jayson
01-20-2009, 09:16 AM
B,A,A

I think the plot could have used a little tightening up. Other than that, I loved this book from the first time I read it.

Django
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
B, C, B

What the bear said.

:cowboy:

Jean
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mae
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
BCA here.

razz
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
BBA

the first (and even the second) time i read this, quite a bit of the time i had no fucking clue what was happening.
King didn't really get into Roland until after the first book; at least i think so.
and I liked the ending. (which to me begins just before they run into Walter and Roland lets Jake Drop)

obscurejude
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Come to think of it, I never got a stronger sense of Roland's world than in this novel. I often wish the other books were more in line with this one. All of King's major themes seem to be the most present in The Gunslinger, which is often the case with a young writer. It was overly ambitious and I couldn't love it more.

jayson
01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Come to think of it, I never got a stronger sense of Roland's world than in this novel.

Precisely. Not until Wizard & Glass did I feel anything like that again. The people of River Crossing in The Waste Lands were a tiny hint of what things were like in Roland's world, but not until we actually went back to Roland's world did I experience anything like the sense of it I got from The Gunslinger. I know much of that had to to do with the plot going forward and the book taking place in other worlds, but everything we learn about Roland's world before it moved on adds depth to his character.

Mad Man
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
AAA from me

alinda
01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
and me,this is the apotheoses of the story for me. wait where am I?

Django
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I like the book. My grades don't seem to reflect my overall opinion of the book. It's just that we give points in these three categories. The plot of the book is not very strong and it is pretty much summed up in the first sentence. It makes more sense in the greater scope of the saga that is The Dark Tower, but we grade the book individually, right? The characters don't develop in the first book yet and the ending is a bit confusing. This book shines more as you read the rest of the books, but itself it's not very strong and it probably wouldn't be in my second round. Sorry for the rant.

mae
01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Well said, Django. I'll also echo others' sentiments that were it not for DT2, I would have trouble with the series. Not that I would never read the other books; it's just that DT2 was vastly superior in every way to DT1.

fernandito
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Straight A's from me, I was hooked from the beginning.

obscurejude
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I like the book. My grades don't seem to reflect my overall opinion of the book. It's just that we give points in these three categories. The plot of the book is not very strong and it is pretty much summed up in the first sentence. It makes more sense in the greater scope of the saga that is The Dark Tower, but we grade the book individually, right? The characters don't develop in the first book yet and the ending is a bit confusing. This book shines more as you read the rest of the books, but itself it's not very strong and it probably wouldn't be in my second round. Sorry for the rant.

You make some good points, but I have to disagree. I think King shines in all the above categories when it comes to short stories and/or novellas which is how the Gunslinger was originally parsed. When the space is constrained, King's plots tend to flow a lot better with a clear point A and B. I felt this was the case with each chapter, and the development of Roland was very strong for me- I loved each flashback and I believed him when he said he loved Jake. As far as the ending, confusing, but intriguing and fitting considering the nature of the tower. Stylistically, I think the dream and its fragmented presentation was the perfect way to present something that is ineffable in its essence.

Strong plot in each story- beginning, middle and end.

Its entitled the Gunslinger, and Roland's development was excellent in my opinion.

The ending was just as dark, mysterious, and fragmented as Roland's grail and thus fitting and perfect within the aesthetic of the novel itself- which is an A worthy achievement for me.

Chooch
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Did the story really END? seems it was only a conclusion of a chapter until the next 6 came along
A+A+ ??

3 DOORS DOWN
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
A+,A+,A+ I've lost count how many times i've read it.

Patrick
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Exactly.

theyspunaweb
01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I wasn't very impressed with this book, but I was forwarned, even King mentioned himself that he wrote the books overa long span of time. I actually read a book inbetween this one and the Drawing of the Three. I graded it BCB, (I think I've graded everything the same as Jean in the Tower series so far!) I thought it was slow when I read it until the ending...the hawk was interesting, and jake. But I didn't feel like I got to know Roland or Jake as well as I could have in the first book. I should re-read it sometime, I was worried that I didn't read them back to back when I did (Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, but I read all of the others in unison after that).

Melike
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
A, A, A.
This had been my favorite DT book, till the time I re-read WatG.

Jon
01-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Straight A's from me. This book (original) hooked me and I was a junkie for 26 or so years. Not many books...or many things, capture my attention for such a period of time. I graded the original while keeping the revised in mind too.

Brice
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Exactly.

Me too! :D From the very first sentence....I was lost. :dance:

obscurejude
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Exactly.

Me too! :D From the very first sentence....I was lost. :dance:

I think you'd have a hard time convincing me you were ever "found." :lol:

Brice
01-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Actually, that was the point where I found home, my friend. :D

obscurejude
01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
And family, considering this site? :D

Brice
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Indeed! :grouphug:

ManOfWesternesse
01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I have no choice at all but to give this Book AAA.
This is The Gunslinger - it's what the whole Dark Tower is made of!

Jean
01-21-2009, 01:08 AM
I think I've graded everything the same as Jean in the Tower series so far!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif

obscurejude
01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I have no choice at all but to give this Book AAA.
This is The Gunslinger - it's what the whole Dark Tower is made of!

I was really surprised when I joined the site and found out that so many people had a problem with it. I wouldn't change a word.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy hearing different opinions. :grouphug:

mhelgers
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
AAA , It's the best

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
BBB

girl at the window
01-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Overall I liked it. I didn't particularly like when Roland let Jake die though. I have read this book twice now. The first time I read it, I actually read it after reading The Drawing of Three which I thought was a totally awesome book. I started to read Drawing of Three shortly after finishing The Stand. I guess I was on a Stephen King trip back then. I read The Drawing of Three without realizing it was part of a book series. I was thrilled to learn that The Gunslinger existed and even more thrilled to read it.