PDA

View Full Version : Re-binding your own books

Dolan
01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
This is always something I was curious about and I am sure this can be merged somewhere once we answer...

But lets say you have a book that you'd like to re-bind in something a lot nicer. Fancy endpapers, cool boards, etc.

Where would one start? Randall, I don't think you have re-bound books, but you have done a lot of research on restoration, etc.

Has anyone else had thoughts on this? Any results?

flaggwalkstheline
01-18-2009, 11:51 AM
uch my copy of it is being held together by rubberbands

Dolan
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I was really on track for something a little more lavish than rubber bands :P

e_taylor
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Find some local book binders and send some emails would be the best bet. Tell them exactly what you want and they can usually give you an idea of what they can/can't do and pricing (in my experience anyways). The more lavish the harder it gets. For instance if you want marbled endpapers, they may have to order those special for your book, which adds time and money.... good food for thought though!

Randall Flagg
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Brilliant subject Kenny. I have looked into re-binding-although it was not for a SK book, but a (I'll have to check), 50+ year old book with "wood block" engravings/printings of drawings of the Pyramids and 1900's Egypt.

bast_imret
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Sir_Boomme can probably give some good insight. His special binding of The Plant is amazing.

Sam
01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
I have seen books dealing with the handbinding of books as a hobby. I found them in the collectors/hobbies section at my local B&N. It may be something worth checking out. For myself, I think not. Aside from having a book bound from something that was not a bound book to begin with, like binding an ebook, or my own book, which was bound by the printer, I have no interest in book binding. I just don't see much reason behind it. It destroys the value of any sort of collector's grade book. As for a book that I read with any regularity, I've never completely destroyed the binding so as to need one rebound.

NeedfulKings
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I've got a First Printing of To Kill A Mockingbird (5000 copy print run) and it's in pretty bad shape. It's still in one piece, but rough handling, or a drop could change that forever. I've struggled as to whether I should rebind it or leave it as be. I only paid $2 for the book, so have plenty of room to rebind.

If I do, I will use high quality material (leather and suede), but still keep with the green/brown design. I'd even try to replicate the spine. I'd also add a slipcase or traycase.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/books/B-day_ebay_feb020.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/books/B-day_ebay_feb023.jpg

I talked to a book binder and she estimated $175. That was a couple of years ago.

NeedfulKings
01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
It destroys the value of any sort of collector's grade book.

Excellent point. For me, the answer is:

If I plan to sell it, I'll leave as be.

If I plan to keep it forever, I want it in a state that I can handle without worry, therefor, it needs to be fixed.

Sam
01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the decision will be based on what your intentions are regarding this book. If you plan to keep the book for your life, you may wish to have it rebound so to keep it in your collection and keep it safe. If your idea is to rebind it so as to increase the value of it, leave it alone. I grant you that this is just my opinion, and I am not a dealer in books. It is my belief that rebinding the book will devalue it drastically. The book as it is may not be worth much, but it has some value simply in it's existence. If you rebind it, you will reduce the value further even if it improves the look. Again, this is my opinion, but there you go.

EDIT: I really should read the last post before I post.

Dolan
01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Well of course there is a level of thought that goes into this process. While I do not suggest altering a 1st/1st of Salem's Lot - I do think that you can find a book that is worth upgrading.

Like the above TKaM. It was $2. You cant really sell it for mega $$ - so why not look into improving it into a really unique edition?

I have no idea what book - but it is still something I'd like to explore.

I will look on BN for a book on the topic...

NeedfulKings
01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Let us know what you find, Dolan. I think the topic is a great one and opinions will vary.

I've seen original and rebound 1st Editions of TKaM typically sell for $1000 and up, depending on the condition. Part of me wants to reap the profit of a "good find" at a thrift store and just sell it, yet the other side of me wants to keep a rare collectible for myself.