PDA

View Full Version : Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Randall Flagg
01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I know this is a bit macabre, but for those who have collections of significant value-for the purpose of this thread a collection worth over (but not limited to, perhaps a person has one or more items that in and of themselves are very valuable) $5,000, what is your plan to have your heir dispense-or keep your books/art?

razz
01-17-2009, 08:29 PM
i call dibs.

Patrick
01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
If I keel over tomorrow, my wife will probably sell them on eBay.

If I live long, then I'll leave them to my kids - if they have interest when they're older.

Randall Flagg
01-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess my point is-how do you make sure your heirs actually know and receive the true value of what has been bequeathed to them?

Brice
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I have no single item over $5,000, but if I did I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.

Randall Flagg
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I have no single item over $5,000, but if I did I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.
How would you do so in advance-and have you (or most anyone else here) done so?

Brice
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM

In my case my little brother is a member and he knows where to ask.

flaggwalkstheline
01-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I want my books to go with me when my corpse is shot out of a cannon off of a skyscraper ala Donkey Kong
KABOOM!!!!!!

Chooch
01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
A reputable book dealer would be my first avenue and a good inventory that could be verified by an appraisel , and then I'd have to decide who get's what :lol:

Dolan
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm only 26 years old, but my friends and family know that i have an extensive collection of books. While I am sure none of them would be able to sell my books without help, I have specific descriptions and details for what I would like done with my books.

For instance, books inscribed to me I would like distributed within my family. Signed limited editions should be sold and money divided between family. Etc.

Patrick
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM

If I live long, then I'll leave them to my kids - if they have interest when they're older.

By the way, I have no single item worth five grand either, but the combined value of everything certainly qualifies.

I guess my point is-how do you make sure your heirs actually know and receive the true value of what has been bequeathed to them?

... I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.

If she wanted to sell them, my wife would either come here and find this forum, as I've mentioned she should do (I've even mentioned a few people by real name to look for - if she remembers). Or she'd simply trust eBay bidders to set the market price. She knows enough not to donate them to Goodwill or sell them in a garage sale.

Now that I'm thinking about it... If we were both to go out at the same time while the boys are still young, I don't know if anyone else (the grandparents mainly) would realize the value. Maybe I better mention something to someone else in the family...

Sir_Boomme
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
if bob kicks the bucket... i think i have first dibs in his will since i am a fellow 5th generation texan.

i'd give him first dibs... but i'm sure he already has most of what i have.

i personally keep a very very lengthy list of all my books...what i paid for them, descriptions, inscriptions, and a semi-updated list of a round-about figure of what they sell for "currently" (i try to update the prices every year or two).

i don't have kiddos or wives... no kin in town... but my dad and siblings know to look for the list and not to trash anything... even if it does look like a silly little piece of paper.

i include my original paintings and gold coins on the list. would hate to look down from heaven (or up from hell since i'm an athiest ha ha) and see my 17 grand patrick nagel sold for 20 bucks in a yard sale.

Patrick
01-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm only 26 years old, but my friends and family know that i have an extensive collection of books. While I am sure none of them would be able to sell my books without help, I have specific descriptions and details for what I would like done with my books.

For instance, books inscribed to me I would like distributed within my family. Signed limited editions should be sold and money divided between family. Etc.
And, of course:

"CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, 1st Edition, I bequeath to Patrick in California. Find him over at TheDarkTower.com."

blg
01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Assuming i don't get into a situation where I need to sell my collection for an unseen financial crisis, I hope everything will go to my daughter (she is only 8 months old). I have always joked that she'll probably hate Stephen King and will sell everything as soon as I keel over. :)

I also keep a list of everything and what I paid for it.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2009, 01:30 AM
I know this is a bit macabre, but for those who have collections of significant value-for the purpose of this thread a collection worth over (but not limited to, perhaps a person has one or more items that in and of themselves are very valuable) $5,000, what is your plan to have your heir dispense-or keep your books/art?

Siblings tend not to appreciate their parents collections and just want to sell things off for as much as they can get.

Personally, my wife just has to look at my collection insurance policy to find out their value. What she does then is up to her.

lophophoras
01-18-2009, 04:31 AM
I keep a Excel spreadsheet listing name of book along with description (1st/1st, signed, limited, numbered), retail price from book, publisher, date published, and the amount I paid for it.

My family is aware that I have a rather large collection and they know that if anything should happen to me they should sell the collection. They also know where to find my spreadsheet which includes names and contact info for Betts. I figured they could help them locate a buyer or driect them on where to sell.

I have been in discussion with my insurance agent about having my collection appraised. This would not be a easy task.

Gunkslinger
01-18-2009, 05:15 AM
I have everything recorded what I paid for it and it's "present value" on the secondary market, which for their sake I hope not to kick soon because it is very soft. :P

My lifetime lettered subs are transferable so those will go to my son who has shown an interest in collecting books.

With my paintings I told my wife to contact Caniglia and sell them through him. I just feel bad because she'll have to crate them up because some of them are huge, but serves her right because she outlived me.:rofl:

Brice
01-18-2009, 05:27 AM
:lol:

alinda
01-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I have struggled with this even tho' by comparrison my collection is more than meager. My sons will get everthing, if they dont want or sell a thing, I wont care ...I'll be too busy . What to do with my books on the other hand has been discussed with them, and Richard ( Joe dirt:doh:)knows he can log on here and start a give a way to anyone that would want them.

razz
01-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I have no Signed first editions, but if i were to die in some "random" freak "accident", then they would either throw my books away, because apparently I'm the only one who understands the value of books in my house (If somehow a bok gets completely damaged to the point that it's readable but pages are missing or something liek that, i still hesitate to toss it in the trash.) or send them to Goodwill or something.

Sir_Boomme
01-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I have everything recorded what I paid for it and it's "present value" on the secondary market, which for their sake I hope not to kick soon because it is very soft. :P

My lifetime lettered subs are transferable so those will go to my son who has shown an interest in collecting books.

With my paintings I told my wife to contact Caniglia and sell them through him. I just feel bad because she'll have to crate them up because some of them are huge, but serves her right because she outlived me.:rofl:

hey gunk... you can have her contact me about those caniglias too... i wouldn't mind a second shot at some of the ones you "stole" out from under me ha ha

Gunkslinger
01-18-2009, 08:51 AM

hey gunk... you can have her contact me about those caniglias too... i wouldn't mind a second shot at some of the ones you "stole" out from under me ha ha

Sure, just have your Dad and siblings do the same for me!

Rahfa
01-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Funny...I actually went to Iraq twice as a freelance embedded journalist so it was more than a theoretical concern.

I printed up an inventory list with what I paid and some random estimate what I thought they were worth and put the list on the bookshelf with all the books...figured it would be somebody else's problem, not mine...haha...

EXPLORER
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
OKAY... HOW FITTING THE TIMING OF THIS IS.
My daughter and son had have come to town to Celebrate life of a great man (my Dad passed 1-10-09). My daughter and I were talking just now and I was showing her a bit of my collection that are in the cases in this room. We were having a discussion about how to tell 1st editions from others. I was showing her flatsigned books in comparison to inscribed books, dated as well as undated, etc. We have had this discusion over the phone before however it is so much easier to show examples in person. I was pointing out some of the rarer itmes in my collection and she found it interesting to see things there were items small by comparrion being worth way more then what one expected to be the obviois higher valued items. I had just discussed ways to find out good representations of values on items. I had mentioned how some major collectors turn to places like Camelot books in Tampa or Stu Tinkers store in Bangor Maine to sell there collections. After that conversation I moved over to this computer which already had DT.com sitting open on the desktop and as I looked up to review todays unread posts I explained how this was also a great resource for King information and such.
How appropriate was it to see this discusion?
My fathers passing was sad however was also a blessing as his quality of life was turning toward much less then he deserved and it also provided opportunity for us all to get together and renew our family bonds as we celebrated his life.

Matt
01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
That is a wonderful story, I think it's a good idea for families to have this sort of discussion.

I believe my very small collection would be Dora's responsibility, she would probably keep them.

CRinVA
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
My wife and kids joke that ten minutes after I am lowered into the gorund that all my colleciton will go up on ebay! I insist that will not be the case, that if no one in the family wants them to throw everything inthe coffin and I'lll take 'em with me whereever I go! :-) I jokje that my will states this case explicitely!

Actually, I hope that one of my children wants them to keep! I have 4 children and one daughter and one son are into reading so there is hope!

And I do not have any high dollar items like worth $5K as stated above. I think the most expensive item in my collection is my Six Stories in the trey case. Maybe my First Edition Carrie signed at The Three Kings Event comes in second! :-)

carlosdetweiller
01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I think mine all go to Nerak. Isn't that right Karen?

Brice
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm sure she isn't gonna' dispute that. :lol:

Daghain
01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't have anything nearly that expensive, but the couple of things I do have I definitely don't want to go to my relatives, who don't know/care what they are worth and wouldn't take care of or appreciate them.

Damn. I think I need to draw up a will now. Maybe I'll donate it to the ASPCA and let them sell it for cash. Hmmm.

Sir_Boomme
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I think mine all go to Nerak. Isn't that right Karen?

what a suckup.... guess you think that'll get you a sister's remarq...huh?

(it's a lie karen... i know for a fact he has bequethed everything to me.... so send me the remarq... not him)

wizardsrainbow
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I too have everything on a detailed spreadsheet in case I enter the clearing at the end of the path.

I have a list of super collectors and key bookstores as a reference for my family. They know who to contact (and that includes a few members from this site). As wonderful as these people are, I know that they would all help my family in time of need, just as I would be willing to give my best advice to someone else's family.

In the end, I think my family would keep a few items as a rememberance of me, but the bulk would be sold.

Merlin1958
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Since given my age and health this seems appropriate, they will go to my son. I've kept detailed logs and receipts of all purchases and have told him where to go to value them (SKcollector.com, Hutch and Betts) but, most of all (and I realize this is morbid) I told him NEVER to sell them until AFTER SK moves on to the clearing at the end of the path.

I also collect art by Ronnie Wood of the Stones and Roger Dean and have told my kids never to sell them until after they pass.

Truth be told, I like to think they will more than likely hold onto the stuff for a while as they grew up knowing their respective collectibility. The Disney Cells (Yeah Cells) go to my Grand kids. First in their nursery's then........who knows? lol lol

Sam
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
My wife will get all of my collection if I go first and knowing her, she won't part with a single item. Talk to my brother after we're both gone. He gets it from there and will do with it what he pleases. I should probably have a discussion with him about the value of my collections. Not that they're worth that much, but all together they're worth a small sum. Under ten grand for sure, but over five I'd say when you add in the artwork.

alinda
11-30-2009, 05:08 AM
I think I have already said that I plan on my sons sending everything to you guys here @ dt.com. After all who would appriciate it more? :grouphug:

wizardsrainbow
11-30-2009, 05:09 AM
Unless I kick off first, your family/loved ones can always come to me at Betts Books :P now that I am a business owner. :)

alinda
11-30-2009, 06:03 AM
That's quite an attractive proposition,
but I wonder if we could sell them for beam bucks
or something here online...or if sold for real
all procedes to haven or something:orely:

Ari_Racing
11-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Well...my girlfriend knows she has to contact you if something happens to me :)

Brice
11-30-2009, 07:05 AM
After thinking long and hard on the matter I've decided NOT to die so I can continue collecting.

alinda
11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Well...my girlfriend knows she has to contact you if something happens to me :)

Ari, your girlfriend is going to contact me personally? :rock::dance::thumbsup::nana::wtf::cool:

jhanic
11-30-2009, 08:03 AM
If I can't take it with me, I'm not going!!

John

lophophoras
11-30-2009, 08:14 AM
:wtf:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Don't forget to consider the possibility that you and your spouse/partner might "peg it" at the same time.

Ari_Racing
11-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Now that's a happy thought...><

Patrick
11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Don't forget to consider the possibility that you and your spouse/partner might "peg it" at the same time.
This is an important point. Because this thread was recently bumped, I reviewed my original posts and realized that I still have not let anyone other than my wife know who to contact.

If she wanted to sell them, my wife would either come here and find this forum, as I've mentioned she should do (I've even mentioned a few people by real name to look for - if she remembers). Or she'd simply trust eBay bidders to set the market price. She knows enough not to donate them to Goodwill or sell them in a garage sale.

Now that I'm thinking about it... If we were both to go out at the same time while the boys are still young, I don't know if anyone else (the grandparents mainly) would realize the value. Maybe I better mention something to someone else in the family...
Maybe I'll do what Rahfa did and store a note of instructions in my bookcase...

Sam
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
After thinking long and hard on the matter I've decided NOT to die so I can continue collecting.

I am very sorry to hear that you have made that decision Brice because holy ground or not dammit you've just got to go sometime. I mean I love ya and all, but we both know there can be only one. And it ain't gonna be you dude.:ninja:

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Keep telling yourself that. :evil:

Ves'Ka Gan
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't have any items worth more than a few hundred dollars a piece (yet), but even so--my books will go to my children, King books and other gems alike. I hope they grow a love for the King books as I have and keep them, but if not, I'd rather my children benefit from the sale of them than anyone else.

That being said--if any of you are unsure of who you might leave your books in care of...I will kindly volunteer my services. :fairy:

sleeplessdwarf
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Funny I found this thread when I did. Since my collection is hovering around the 5k mark, maybe even passed it by now, the wife and I had this talk a few days ago. I was making it clear that there were certain books that would never go up for sale regardless of the situation. I had been in the hospital that week, and "things" were a topic a few nights after I got out. She asked what would I do with the books if I passed. My response was an easy one. Hopefully some times goes by and I will be able to judge which of my kids would love the collection as I do. That would be the kid who gets them. She was floored. She thought for sure, I would automatically leave everything to her and let her sort things out later. That is not exactly the right choice in my life, as my first three kids are by my second wife. Atm, my 13 yr old daughter holds the most interest in reading, so she is my natural choice. This could change, but only if she takes a drastic change in direction.

willie3
12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
My daughter announced to my family that she will assume ownership of my collection after I kick the bucket.

I don't know what she will do with it all though.
In addition to my SK collection (meager as it is), I also have a massive comic collection that includes original art, statues, prints, lithographs, etc. that has been building since the early '70s.

Brice
12-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Hopefully she intends to keep it all. :)

willie3
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Brice, I think that's why she laid claim to it.

Over the years I have given her numerous pieces of original art for her birthday and Christmas.

Her fear is I will sell it first. :evil:

Karl

Randall Flagg
08-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I think David @ Betts Books is now in charge of several Collector's books upon their demise.

alinda
08-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I have decided that I will change my will soon. My sons have got me so riled up.
Is there anyone here that would be interested in my meager collection? Maybe I will send it to Betts, and procedes to haven .:cool: Not that I intend to go quietly as you may have surrmised I am hanging on rather tightly to this life.

shnnrc01
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
fight to the death girl!! you'll sleep long enough!!

Brice
08-29-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm gonna' have all my books buried with me in a mausoleum. I plan to test the theory that you can't take it with you.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Make sure you pack them in waterproof bags. There are a few "Burke and Hare's" on here :)

Brice
08-29-2010, 04:32 AM
<_<

frik
08-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I hope to retire in about 6 - 7 years. After that, I'm planning to spend a lot of time on eBay, selling off the remainder of my BJS (see avatar) collection, plus my SK collection...I think...

sk

Brice
08-29-2010, 07:30 AM
I see your av. Who is BJS? :unsure:

I hate to see you sell your collection, but :drool: at the thought of all those foreign editions being up for sale.

Randall Flagg
08-29-2010, 07:33 AM
BJS=Barbara Streisand.

Brice
08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Ah! Thanks!

frik
08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
BJS=Barbara Streisand.

:shoot::shoot::shoot:

Bar-bra Streisand!

;)

sk

wizardsrainbow
08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I have 3 customers (2 from this site) that have put me in their wills or have some legal document that says I will help sell/advise their collections. Really, it's not a bad idea to do this as most extended family would not know who to contact to value a collection.

I get collection valuation requests all the time...to the point where it might be smart to start charging a nominal fee for some of them, as I sometimes spend more than an hour or two going through the list and getting clarifications.

Sam
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I know it used to be a common practice for rare book sellers to charge an appraisal fee when looking at a large collection that may or may not require them to travel to another location. This charge was for collections, not just one or two books. To my knowledge, this practice continues, though not at high volumes as the number of rare book stores in my area states has greatly diminished and many owners are no longer able or unwilling to travel to someone else's home in order to grade and tally a collection for a small fee. In truth, the quality of the books being carried by local used and rare book dealers seems to have degraded as well.

carlosdetweiller
08-31-2010, 01:40 AM
In truth, the quality of the books being carried by local used and rare book dealers seems to have degraded as well.

I've noticed this too. I always assumed it was because of the ease of selling online has led people to sell their own books rather than sell to a local book dealer. And some book dealers sell exclusively online and don't incur the expense of keeping a real store open.

I used to try to go to several bookstores when I found myself in a different city but now I hardly ever bother.

Brice
08-31-2010, 04:25 AM
I used to try to go to several bookstores when I found myself in a different city but now I hardly ever bother.

I still do this myself. I may not find anything particularly rare or valuable, but I'm a sucker for a used bookstore when I can find one. I can almost always find something I want and you can't feel and smell the books online. :(

biomieg
08-31-2010, 04:54 AM
I agree - many people seem to take the shortcut and sell their books directly online. I do it myself. Convenience is an issue, but also simple economics: if I sell my used books to a bookstore I will get almost nothing for them, while selling them online allows me to play even or make a profit (of course, I'm talking about trade paperbacks and the like - for limited books it may be worthwile to consign them through a bookseller).

Brice
08-31-2010, 04:56 AM
I do not sell books at all. I'm more likely to sell family members.

biomieg
08-31-2010, 04:57 AM
So did I but I ran out of family members.

Brice
08-31-2010, 05:00 AM
:lol: I have some I'd trade for books. Luckily I have a big family. Luckier still alot of them I wouldn't mind parting with.

carlosdetweiller
08-31-2010, 05:05 AM
Also, I have found books in used bookstores to be overpriced for their condition. I get discouraged when I take a book off the bookshelf and see it priced for a lot more than several better conditioned books on ABE. I guess they make sales to people who are unsuspecting and not familiar with internet sites but I find their prices a lot of times to be just insane. I can usually tell within the first couple of minutes if I need to stay and browse further or just walk out. The internet, especially ABE, has really spoiled me.

Brice
08-31-2010, 05:13 AM
I agree. I generally hit used bookstores for cheap reading copies. It's convenience really. You go home with something to read immediately as opposed to having to wait. When I want books that I care about lasting I buy online mostly. Also I have noticed some used book stores have been jacking prices up in recent years though.

biomieg
08-31-2010, 05:20 AM
You are right Bob. And I do the same, Brice - in used bookstores I only look for reading copies nowadays.

Fsmdr
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
I still prefer to purchase from a physical bookstore, whenever possible, if the mark-up is reasonable. I have had problems buying online and receiving books that are NOT in their described condition. Then I have to contact the online store and either way, most likely I will be out of the return shipping.

Last month I wanted a complete set of Hardcovers Jeffrey Archer reading copies in Fine condition. I ordered 4 copies online from different sellers and had to return 3 of them.

carlosdetweiller
08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I still prefer to purchase from a physical bookstore, whenever possible, if the mark-up is reasonable. I have had problems buying online and receiving books that are NOT in their described condition. Then I have to contact the online store and either way, most likely I will be out of the return shipping.

Last month I wanted a complete set of Hardcovers Jeffrey Archer reading copies in Fine condition. I ordered 4 copies online from different sellers and had to return 3 of them.

Yes, there is always that potential problem. And I do still love going to bookstores. It's just that more and more often I leave empty-handed.

And sometimes it is the only way to find new things to collect. I'll find something that I had never seen or heard of and it will open up a new avenue of interest. You can't get THAT on ABE very often. It's hard to find new avenues of interest when you do the same old tired searches on ABE day after day.

Still, I'm finding physical bookstores less and less interesting for some reason.

Rahfa
01-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Estate sales are so depressing...you can see all the effort of a lifetime spent to accumulate possessions and collections, and at the end it's just tossed to the four winds...

Makes me more set than ever to have tried my best to sell everything by the time I shuffle off this mortal coil...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Estate sales are so depressing...you can see all the effort of a lifetime spent to accumulate possessions and collections, and at the end it's just tossed to the four winds...

Makes me more set than ever to have tried my best to sell everything by the time I shuffle off this mortal coil...

A lessen for all of us?

Ben Mears
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM

I agree. I've only been to one which was for the widow of an artist whose work I have been collecting for 20+ years. They had no children and it was sad to see all of her possessions, including personal photos and letters, going to strangers. It was also a bit disheartening to see many of the items turn up on eBay within days of the auction.

Brice
01-31-2011, 03:28 PM
My possesions/collection all go to my family. I'm certain barring some stuff they'll keep for sentimental reasons most will be sold. They know where to go with the King stuff when the time comes. :D

I've never been to an estate sale, but I don't see it as depressing. Death is just another part of life, imo.

Rahfa
01-31-2011, 04:42 PM
My possesions/collection all go to my family. I'm certain barring some stuff they'll keep for sentimental reasons most will be sold. They know where to go with the King stuff when the time comes. :D

I've never been to an estate sale, but I don't see it as depressing. Death is just another part of life, imo.

True enough....in the end, the vultures pick at all our bones.

But, if your family knows where to go, it's not really going to be an estate sale....that's the depressing part, when it's people neither you or family have any idea about picking through all your carefully selected possessions.

Eh, we'll be chewing dirt, so who cares.

Brice
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM

True enough....in the end, the vultures pick at all our bones.

But, if your family knows where to go, it's not really going to be an estate sale....that's the depressing part, when it's people neither you or family have any idea about picking through all your carefully selected possessions.

Eh, we'll be chewing dirt, so who cares.

People here will get to pick through many of my carefully selected possessions. :D I own no car, no house...mostly just lots of books and related items.

Jimimck
01-31-2011, 11:47 PM

I'm with you on this one.

UNLESS I know for a fact any of my children (which I have yet to have any) turn out to be a King fan as well. But if they aren't, I think there will be fun to be had in selling stuff off in my last remaining years, to have the pleasure of seeing the items with new King fans. Then my family can just have the money.

But fingers crossed one of my children to be turns out to be just as much of a fan, and helps me collect in the years to come...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Museum of silly assumptions

- The Inland Revenue won’t audit me two years in a row
- One more drink won’t hurt
- My kids will not hate me and wish me dead
- My family will not be wiped out in a single event

You *can* take your collection with you. Arrange for your collection to be burnt with you. It also gives your surviving family more ashes to share amongst themselves.

:unsure:

Sam
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

I plan to do just the opposite. I plan to try my best not to sell anything that has any value to me or high monetary value unless I absolutely have to. I want to leave something to my heir or heirs to be able to sell off that will be of greater value than the money that paid for it. 60 years from now the $350 that paid for CD's Full Dark, No Stars S/L will be worth far less than $350 is now, but the book itself may very well be worth more than the equivalent of that same $350. I want to enjoy my collection while I am able to, and sell items only to acquire other collectibles, not to pay bills.

I speak from experience that the collections of others can sometimes be full of nothing but junk, but if you are a wise collector, you can leave behind a small treasure trove for your heirs. Make sure you leave instructions on how to deal with the collectibles though. It can be (and IS) a very daunting task for a spouse to deal with any collection.

Sir_Boomme
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM

I plan to do just the opposite. I plan to try my best not to sell anything that has any value to me or high monetary value unless I absolutely have to. I want to leave something to my heir or heirs to be able to sell off that will be of greater value than the money that paid for it. 60 years from now the $350 that paid for CD's Full Dark, No Stars S/L will be worth far less than $350 is now, but the book itself may very well be worth more than the equivalent of that same $350. I want to enjoy my collection while I am able to, and sell items only to acquire other collectibles, not to pay bills.

I speak from experience that the collections of others can sometimes be full of nothing but junk, but if you are a wise collector, you can leave behind a small treasure trove for your heirs. Make sure you leave instructions on how to deal with the collectibles though. It can be (and IS) a very daunting task for a spouse to deal with any collection.

as an almost 52 year old old fart with No wife... No kids and little chance (or want) of acquiring either before I kick it.....
I leaving my entire collection of limiited editions to my dogs.... they really enjoy leather chew toys.

Jimimck
02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
as an almost 52 year old old fart with No wife... No kids and little chance (or want) of acquiring either before I kick it.....
I leaving my entire collection of limiited editions to my dogs

I'm open to being a guardian for your dogs. Book collection and all 8)

biomieg
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I think some of the recent posts in this thread belong here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6964-Dispensation-of-your-collection-upon-your-demise).

Merlin1958
02-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I think some of the recent posts in this thread belong here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6964-Dispensation-of-your-collection-upon-your-demise).

Did someone call for the Thread Cop????? Listen hear "Joy-Boy"you may think posting off-topic is "cool" and "hip". but I got news for you wise-guy, Not in my America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Sorry, Mr. Bookman from "Sienfeld" popped into my head!!!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Jimimck
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Love that episode

Patrick
02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.law.wisc.edu/blogs/wisblawg/bookman.jpg

And.... done.

Thank you.

Sir_Boomme
02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
while my dog's will get the limted leather editions for chew toys -
my will is going to state that the first editions, mags and all other non-leather editions are to be piled into a giant funeral pyre, topped off by my body... and everyone here is invited to roast marshmellows and make smores, beer will be provided.

Patrick
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
What kind of beer?

Merlin1958
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
What kind of beer?

Yeah, good point!!!! Domestic or imported?

LOL

thegreattim
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
If it's Guinness Extra Stout, I'm in!

frik
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Like my Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella collections, my King collection will go down the garbage shute...
Of course, everyone's invited to wait at the other end.

sk

thegreattim
02-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Let me know when you feel yourself begin to fade... :lol: Although I hope it's not anytime soon, of course.

biomieg
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't think I live more than 15 km away from you, Siep. Keep us updated - I will be foraging among the garbage when the time has come :)

Sir_Boomme
02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
What kind of beer?

Yeah, good point!!!! Domestic or imported?

LOL

well, I've changed my mind... I decided since I'll be stiff when the burning happens - the drink needs to be stiffer.

so instead of beer... REDRUM for everyone!
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/cases-2007/redrumlabeled.jpg

Patrick
02-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Directly below that bottle are four books that I am sorely missing from my collection. I'll be roasting my marshmallows over those!

divemaster
02-07-2011, 06:58 AM
My collection is MY "Pride and Joy" and there's no one I am related to that has an interest in book collecting. Nor do I have any close friends that I'd feel like just willing the collection to.

When I die, assuming my wife survivies me, she will get everything. The problem is, she would have no clue how to go about getting value from this collection. I've written out a document that will help her step through all my estate affairs (taxes, insurance, accounts, etc.) and have enlisted my CPA brother-in-law to help execute the estate. But getting value for the books will be beyond what my wife is capable of and I don't want to burden my BIL.

Thus, a month or so back I contacted a couple of the pre-eminent King experts to request permission to give their name and information to my wife so she could contact them for an appraisal/offer for the collection upon my death. Somehow it seems a shame to sell off the collection for cash, but at least I would know the books would end up in the hands of true collectors, and my wife would get $$.

Having said that, if worst comes to worst or I just get tired of the collection, I'd just do the eBay thing myself. Money is money, regardless of pre-death or post-death. It's not like I was denying someone the enjoyment of inheriting my collection. I'm the only person that cares anything about it for the books' sake.

Sir_Boomme
02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
ha ha... I sent that Redrum picture to the official Redrum website and they posted it in their gallery... pretty funny.

http://www.redrum.com/gallery.php

2nd row...6th picture

Randall Flagg
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Shannon, where will your collection go?

Shannon
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Thank you for asking. :)

I originally said that if I died, my girlfriend Amber would be contacting David from Betts and enlisting his help with selling my collection.

But ... when I spoke to her about it, she said she would keep it. She's a book lover, a Stephen King fan, and she has the hoarding/collecting bug as well because when she moved in, her books almost matched my own! We collectively have eight book shelves full of books, lol.

So ... I guess she's getting it. Though, if we BOTH die in a horrible, fiery crash, it'll be on sale a week later at Betts. :)

Randall Flagg
12-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I originally said that if I died, my girlfriend Amber would be contacting David from Betts and enlisting his help with selling my collection.

But ... when I spoke to her about it, she said she would keep it. She's a book lover, a Stephen King fan, and she has the hoarding/collecting bug as well because when she moved in, her books almost matched my own! We collectively have eight book shelves full of books, lol.

So ... I guess she's getting it. Though, if we BOTH die in a horrible, fiery crash, it'll be on sale a week later at Betts. :)
Do you have anyone to taste the food she makes for you?:tongue:

Brice
12-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Shannon
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
llloooollll. I guess that should be next on my list of things to acquire, eh? A taster. lol

Brice
12-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Shannon, I volunteer to oversee the dispensation of your SK collection to me :D when your gone. Admittedly it's a bit of a burden, but that's what friends are for. :)

Merlin1958
12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Shannon can have everything after I'm gone, except what the kids want!!!

Brice
12-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Hold on, Bill! I think he's on the phone with his lawyer seeing if that constitutes a legally binding contract. :lol:

Shannon
12-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Yay! I like this game! And forty years from now (when I'm the new Bob, lol), when the new collectors of Stephen King ask me "Mr. Shannon, how did you get so many rare and unique items?" I'll say ... "Well kids, it started a long time ago when Bill died ..."

Merlin1958
12-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Bastard, I'm still alive!!!!

:tongue1:

Merlin1958
12-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Bastard, I'm still alive!!!!

:tongue1:

Shannon
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
All I'm sayin' is that maybe you should hire someone to taste all your food for you. Just an idea. ;)

Merlin1958
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I am feeling a little "under the weather"................. Oh Shit!!!!!!!! LOL

Cook
12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
But if the both of you die.... Horribly?? (dead is dead isn't it ?)
Who's going to tell David?

Shannon
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
lol that's a good point. But honestly, if I died, and my stuff got shipped up and sent away, you probably wouldn't want it anyway. When us military people move, there is a group of people on every base, civilians mostly, that come and pack up your shit for you. Sounds nice, right? It's not nice. Unless you're there watching them (and sometimes, even when you are), your stuff will not arrive at the new destination in the same condition it left as. I've had two TVs break, I've had two boxes of DVDs stolen ("lost" they said, lol) ...

That's a funny story. I watched them pack the DVDs, and I have my DVDs in alphabetical order. I watched what they did when they packed, they were more or less in order. They sealed them up, put protection tape on them, and sent them on their way. When the boxes got to my new place, the DVDs were all out of order and a lot of the "more expensive" DVDs/boxed sets, Blu-Rays, etc. were gone. But the remaining boxes (minus the two "missing" boxes) were still sealed with protection tape. I was pissed, but I ended up getting $17.99 per DVD reimbursement from the military anyway, which is SO much more than I paid for them, lol. It was almost worth it.

But being reimbursed for DVDs is a lot easier than being reimbursed for a piece of original artwork or a one of a kind collectible. You can't really put a price on that, you know? So, whenever I move from here on out, I'll be the one packing up my things, thank you.

Brice
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Shannon, it's okay! You've got enough worries when it's time for you to move. We'll go pack your King stuff for you. :innocent:

Shannon
12-10-2011, 01:49 PM
My response to the above is HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1362-Book-Collection-Brice&p=658726&viewfull=1#post658726).

Brice
12-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I saw! Fear not though there is plenty of room in my collection for yours too. :D

jemaher
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I am in the process of packing my collection of books and I have already filled 150 book boxes and still have one room to go! It may take me the rest of my life to unpack

Brice
12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
...and then they'll get packed again. :lol:

Wow, 150 boxes. I thought I had a lot of books.

jemaher
12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
my book hoarding has gone on for several decades and i shudder to think how the next of kin are going to dispose of them....I have well over 250 signed king books over 1000 signed Franklin and Easton press and several dozen signed Hemingway Faulkner Steinbeck and McCarthy. I probably have over 100 Bradbury first editions.....ugh... any sane executor would look at that and think...best cure is lighter fluid and a match

Brice
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I'll be executor for say ten books of my choice. :lol:

Seriously, my roommates are english teachers and ALL of our books might be a third of that...maybe.

jemaher
12-11-2011, 12:06 PM
about that... Id rather my "treasures " go to someone who would appreciate them rather than someone just looking to flip it for a buck

Brice
12-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I think most of us feel the same about that.

Mine will probably mostly get sold, though I'm sure my brothers would keep some for sentimental reasons. Actually my older brother might keep them all even though he rarely reads a book. He just likes how they look on the shelves. :lol:

Shannon
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Jemaher, it might be a little late now, but do you have any pictures of your entire book collection? That does sound like quite a lot of books, lol, I'd love to see it.

biomieg
12-11-2011, 10:15 PM
+1!

Shannon
12-11-2011, 11:04 PM
+1+1! :)

evilash
12-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Hell, screw all the math... Me too!

Patrick
12-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Hell, screw all the math... Me too!
+1!

The Library Policeman
12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
E=MC2

TCCBodhi
12-15-2011, 01:01 PM
In my partner's biological family (that he didn't know until he was an adult) was an aunt that I met once. She had an entire set of DT through book 6 or 7 so she had to be under #500, but I never got the chance to closely look. She died shortly after I met her and it was never appropriate to ask the barely known husband about them. I presume (hope) that they're still sitting on the husband's shelf, but sadly is no longer a complete set. I dream that one day I'll get the opportunity to ask about them and let them know that I'd be a great custodian of that collection.

biomieg
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
E=MC2

E=MC²... +1

Flygrl
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Please forward all of your correspondence and books to ATTN: Flygrl upon your demise. I'll make sure it gets to where it needs to go.
:innocent:

Brice
12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I would, but as I believe I've mentioned before I've decided NOT to die if I can't take my books with me. :nope:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm glueing all my books together to make a coffin, then I'll be burnt in it.

Brice
12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
:cry:

Merlin1958
12-16-2011, 05:53 PM

OK, then!!!

LOL

Shannon
12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
That's not a bad idea, actually ... lol

Brice
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
In case there's any confusion I'm mourning his books, not him. :lol:

Merlin1958
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
In case there's any confusion I'm mourning his books, not him. :lol:

LOL Figured as much from most. Hence the post. MRT was a great guy and a true "King Collector"....... Holy shit!!!! there goes a S/L (Insert book) MRT? What on earth does that stand for? Maine Retentive Teleprompter? LOL

J/K Mr. Rabbit Trick. You are "Da Man"!!!!

:biggrin1:

Patrick
12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Since they're not worthy of being included in the coffin itself, we'll use the S&S-produced S/L's for the pyre kindling.

Merlin1958
12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Since they're not worthy of being included in the coffin itself, we'll use the S&S-produced S/L's for the pyre kindling.

But they were so damn hard to get!!!!! LOL LOL

I mean you had to use "back doors" and shit!!!!

needfulthings
12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Good idea but what do I do with my ASBESTOS FIRESTARTER?

Randall Flagg
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Rumor has it one copy of the asbestos Firestarter was burned up in a house fire.

jemaher
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Karma is a bitch

Shannon
12-22-2011, 11:15 PM
needfulthings, no worries. I'll hold onto it for you. :)

carlosdetweiller
12-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Rumor has it one copy of the asbestos Firestarter was burned up in a house fire.

Stu Tinker used to swear it was true.

Ari_Racing
12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
I remember that during dt.net times, Kenny (Dolan) also mentioned that he saw two copies on a collection that used to be in one of the twin towers.

needfulthings
12-23-2011, 02:37 PM
So are you saying that now the count may be 23?

Shannon
12-23-2011, 05:07 PM
"I remember that during dt.net times, Kenny (Dolan) also mentioned that he saw two copies on a collection that used to be in one of the twin towers."

Not discounting what you're saying or what Kenny is saying or what he saw, but doesn't that sound like a story? Like ... I know a friend who has a great grandfather who was making eye contact with Kennedy when he was shot ...

Patrick
12-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Kenny/Dolan is an extensive book collector in his own right, at a much wider scope than probably most of us here. He has lived in New York for a very long time. Some collectors keep their collections at in their office at work - For example, David/wizardsrainbow made no secret that he used to keep his book collection in his office in New York. If Kenny says he saw something involving rare books, I believe it. I also consider Ari to be reliable, but perhaps Kenny will stop by to confirm or deny this particular story first hand.

Shannon
12-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I see. Very interesting. :)

Dolan
12-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi guys -

First off - Patrick, thanks so much for your exceptionally kind words. You've always been so kind -- thank you.

As for the story: many years ago when I first landed my little feet in Manhattan, I would go to the local rare book section of The Strand (which still exists) on East 12th Street in Manhattan. Through my many visits there, I met a man who would walk in and just look for Stephen King books. One day we got to talking and he invited me over to his apartment to see his book collection. I politely declined the first time (this is New York City, after all) but I then saw him again at a book signing and I took him up on his offer.

The books were not kept in the World Trade Center but rather his high rise apartment in Manhattan. Upon entry of his place, it was clearly (even at that time) a very modern apartment. He had his books in a separate room that, according to him, had separate air conditioning vents installed to keep the temperature of the room and the flow of air to a comfortable medium for the books. He also had some type of (forgive the word choice) sticker of some kind that covered the entire length of his windows. He said that even direct sunlight wouldn't age the book pages because of the protectors in the "sticker." So while the World Trade Center wouldn't have been unreasonable because, like Patrick said, I've made a few trips to the lovely David's old office to view his amazing collection, these books were stored at his home.

Where the confusion may lie is that, I remember, a short time later, there was a pretty destructive fire in the building that he lived in. Now... my memory gets fuzzy (I drink a lot ha!), but from what I remember, the fire was close enough to his floor for me to be very concerned. However, I cannot, as I write this, confirm that his books were damaged. Though if if the fire were as close as I remember, there is a strong possibility.

His collection was vast but he had quite an extensive King Collection. I remember being amazed that he had not one but TWO Lettered Firestarters. At the time, for a young collector like me, that was the Holy Grail of collecting. This was at a time I think the book was being quoted for sale in the high $20-30k. He let me hold the book, etc (honestly nothing terribly special), but it was a fascinating visit with a very nice nice man.

I never did see him again after that which certainly didn't help my theory that the fire was in his apartment -- but I've been looking for some articles online and can't seem to find anything. If I do, I will post and get back to you guys. For now, let's say the books are okay. However... this is a very destructive planet. Earthquakes, fires, floods, people pass away and a collection is left to unaware family members... etc. So the reality that a book print run that was once 26 could currently, possibly, be 23... or 20... is a very real reality.

Randall Flagg
12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Fascinating. Thanks Kenny. Good to see you posting.

jhanic
12-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Very, very interesting, Kenny! Thanks.

John

Patrick
12-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Great to see you here, Kenny! Post more often!

Thanks for sharing the story with those haven't heard it, and refreshing the memories of those of us who heard it long ago.

Ari_Racing
12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Well, my memory played a small trick on me. :doh:

needfulthings
12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Dear Kenny Thank you for the info. Just what year are you talking about when you saw the two books? I am not aware of any of the Firestarters selling for 20k or 30k I know Betts & EBAY have been trying to sell letter M for guite a while for around 20k with no takers.

Shannon
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the story Dolan, I always like hearing stories. :) Two Lettered Firestarters. Whew. OK, new plan of action for my collection .. I'm going to save up money, and not buy anything but Lettered Firestarters. That way, in my mind, I'll win. ;)

Merlin1958
12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
That is an interesting story!!!

When I die, "Ricky" gets my TMSG!!!!!

Dolan
12-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys - and no apologies at all, Ari. High rise, fire, etc... easy to mistake. I wish I knew his name... we are talking 2000-2001 and sadly my memory doesn't reach (at times) as far back as Friday night! Ha!

Ari_Racing
12-31-2011, 08:29 PM
:) Yeah. I guess I'm getting old. :D

Thanks for the clarification!

wizardsrainbow
01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys - and no apologies at all, Ari. High rise, fire, etc... easy to mistake. I wish I knew his name... we are talking 2000-2001 and sadly my memory doesn't reach (at times) as far back as Friday night! Ha!

And Kenny and Ari...I remember fondly the times we met in NYC....ahhh, those were the days when I had a GREAT paying job and the King world was my oyster....miss those times.

Merlin1958
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM

And Kenny and Ari...I remember fondly the times we met in NYC....ahhh, those were the days when I had a GREAT paying job and the King world was my oyster....miss those times.

I hear ya, Brutha!!!! Those were the days!!

:thumbsup:

Ricky
01-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Put it in you will! :lol:

Merlin1958
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Put it in you will! :lol:

It is!!! However, you gotta lose the current avatar and replace it with something a little more "King-related"!!! LOL What can I say? It's a "condition". LOL

Ari_Racing
01-06-2012, 07:43 AM

I always remember about meeting you and other dt members in both my trips. :) I really can't wait to take a flight to USA again.

Randall Flagg
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Several good "stories" in this thread. If you haven't read through it, I suggest you do so.

webstar1000
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Very cool stuff...

Merlin1958
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
So, who is bequeathing their collection to me?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stroppygoblin
10-01-2014, 05:54 AM
This thread should be renamed ' Serendipity ' as it seems people only come across it when they are actually thinking about what to do with their collection if they should pass (in case anyone is worried - I'm fine :) ).
I have decided to go with a letter hidden between the books. It would probably start off with an apology to my wife for all the money I have spent and listing specific items that should be sold to pay off the credit card debt which may or may not still exist!

I will include emails and contact numbers of at least 3 DT Members with instructions to contact them as to specific books and their values. Above all I will try to explain that some of the books (especially some of the paperbacks) are worth considerably more than I have lead her to believe!

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Since I have no wife, no kids, and my dogs don't read.... I'm leaving one leather bound limited edition to each dog as a chew toy...
the rest of my collection... planning to leave to the last person I have sex with.

It's been a while... so if there are any takers, speak up. You never know... you may be the "lucky" winner.

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2014, 06:20 AM
btw... I don't mind wearing a george clooney mask.

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2014, 06:21 AM
or a jennifer aniston mask - whatever works for you

stroppygoblin
10-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Since I have no wife, no kids, and my dogs don't read.... I'm leaving one leather bound limited edition to each dog as a chew toy...
the rest of my collection... planning to leave to the last person I have sex with.

It's been a while... so if there are any takers, speak up. You never know... you may be the "lucky" winner.

Just waiting for Webstar1000 to post "That's a GREAT Deal!!" :evil:

Cook
10-01-2014, 07:34 AM

well ookkkayy.... if I have to.
Will you go gentle?

thegunslinger41
10-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Above all I will try to explain that some of the books (especially some of the paperbacks) are worth considerably more than I have lead her to believe!

Hilarious. Also, for others that are thinking about a letter to their wives, they should explain how some books are actually not worth as much as they led their wives to believe.

-G

Randall Flagg
10-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Aren't you and Merlin1958 hooking up in Austin?

Shannon
10-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Have you seen Terry's collection? I'd go gay for that. People in prison do it for a lot less, lol

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2014, 02:45 PM

we'll see, he very well may be to much man for me :)

stroppygoblin
10-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Note to self - don't click any Merlin1958 spoilers in this thread...

"This has been a public safety broadcast"

Ari_Racing
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you seen Terry's collection. I'd go gay for that. People in prison do it for a lot less, lol

LOL!!!!!
Priceless comment.

Merlin1958
10-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Very true, Terry...

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/5898/kingmerlinkingzps969c13.jpg

Sir_Boomme
10-02-2014, 02:12 PM
oh well... guess I'll just have to be "satisfied" with the wall-size poster.

Merlin1958
10-02-2014, 06:42 PM
oh well... guess I'll just have to be "satisfied" with the wall-size poster.

Ahh, I'm all "bluster", Terry. Looking very much forward to meeting you in person, getting a signed book and taking in the sites to be seen. I very much appreciate your willingness to be a "tour guide" for, Austin. Went to TCU, but I rarely got to visit much to the south.

Priest
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I keep a Excel spreadsheet listing name of book along with description (1st/1st, signed, limited, numbered), retail price from book, publisher, date published, and the amount I paid for it.

My family is aware that I have a rather large collection and they know that if anything should happen to me they should sell the collection. They also know where to find my spreadsheet which includes names and contact info for Betts. I figured they could help them locate a buyer or driect them on where to sell.

I have been in discussion with my insurance agent about having my collection appraised. This would not be a easy task.

Sir -
i came here to say exactly what you said ;D
excel - prices - betts - insurance

With the only exemption that i was lucky that my insurance took the whole value of the books, i have an extra part there for "collections"

Patrick
10-08-2014, 03:50 PM
...I have decided to go with a letter hidden between the books. It would probably start off with an apology to my wife for all the money I have spent and listing specific items that should be sold to pay off the credit card debt which may or may not still exist!

I will include emails and contact numbers of at least 3 DT Members with instructions to contact them...
You may want to let her know sooner that there is an envelope with info on a few collectors to contact if anything happens to you. You don't want her discovering a hidden letter after half your collection has already been donated to Goodwill.

Bev Vincent
10-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Viking funeral pyre.

Merlin1958
10-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Viking funeral pyre.

Want some wild Indians to dance around the fire? LOL

If, I am recalling the "Shawshank" quote correctly.

Edit: Found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKdUsJU-cQ0

GenericEric
07-11-2020, 01:00 PM
I know this is a personal question, but I was just curious if anyone here has their King/book collection in their Will. Or if you don't have a Will, a hypothetical of what you would do with your collection. Quite a few of you here have a pretty vast collection that's worth many thousands of dollars. Would you leave it to your family or someone else? Or have it setup to auction it off after you're gone. I have visions of people with these extremely valuable collections and their family members fighting over who gets what.

George at C-Springs
07-11-2020, 01:15 PM
In will with instructions to contact Betts Books (David Williamson or current owner) in the case that they should be sold or for any questions regarding value, and/or to get on here and say George at C-Springs has passed, what the hell is an Advance Review Copy and what do we do with all these damn books?

Randall Flagg
07-11-2020, 01:25 PM
We have a thread discussing what to do with your collection upon your demise. I'll merge this thread into that one.

The Library Policeman
07-11-2020, 02:07 PM
I plan on selling everything when my daughter turns 21 (unless she wants to keep them) and giving her the cash to do what she wants. 15 years left to enjoy ‘em. I’ll be 66 then (God willing).

stroppygoblin
07-11-2020, 02:38 PM
I plan on selling everything when my daughter turns 21 (unless she wants to keep them) and giving her the cash to do what she wants. 15 years left to enjoy ‘em. I’ll be 66 then (God willing).

Just a reminder you promised to sell me your 1/100 FDNS for twice what you paid for it...
If you have forgotten this promise, don't worry, I wont be offended :evil:

Randall Flagg
07-11-2020, 02:39 PM
I'm leaving it all to my wife and her lover...:emot-aslol:

stroppygoblin
07-11-2020, 02:39 PM
I'm leaving it all to my wife and her lover...:emot-aslol:

and we both thank you Jerome.

Randall Flagg
07-11-2020, 02:49 PM
We just never should have met you Las Vegas...

herbertwest
07-13-2020, 12:58 AM
I know this is a personal question, but I was just curious if anyone here has their King/book collection in their Will. Or if you don't have a Will, a hypothetical of what you would do with your collection. Quite a few of you here have a pretty vast collection that's worth many thousands of dollars. Would you leave it to your family or someone else? Or have it setup to auction it off after you're gone. I have visions of people with these extremely valuable collections and their family members fighting over who gets what.

I have written some tips and advices for my wife about who to contact in order to sell them, and I have an excel file (that i'll print soon) with the info of cost + estimate (as of today) of each books value.
But having about 2000 books / magazines if i recall correctly, I dont think that she'll want to bother.

Which brings me back to a question i have asked several weeks ago but that didnt seem to interest anybody.
Who else that us, individually, know our collection best?

Has anybody already decided that they will sale themselves the collection? And what would make people sell their collection?
I think that The Library Policeman's idea is a good one!

Bev Vincent
07-13-2020, 04:30 AM
I started the process of selling mine a number of years ago. I realized I had books on my shelf that I hadn't looked at in years and some that I didn't even remember owning. After going through the process of dissolving someone else's estate, I realized that I had lost the acquisitive nature that had compelled me to get these books in the first place. It's a long, slow process, and some things I'll never get rid of -- personalized items -- but I'm trying hard to lighten my load!

TnTzDad
07-13-2020, 04:31 AM
I believe The Library Poilceman's idea is better suited than most realize. I've got two young adults, in their mid-20's, and when asked who would prefer the collection, I got shrugs from both. Books, and collecting in general, don't seem to be of much concern to this generation, at least from what I see, and I think it's more because of the digital age. My daughter, however, specificallly requested my pistols.

If I don't make it around to selling my small, modest collection, I'll probably leave it to Betts.

Ben Mears
07-13-2020, 05:23 AM
I don't have much of a specialty collection; a few signed limiteds (Centipede 'Salem's Lot limited & deluxe, Christine, Skeleton Crew, Dan Simmons' Summer Of Night lettered & limited and Centipede lettered The Haunting Of Hill House) and some gift editions (Cemetery Doubleday through Night Shift + FDNS and Secretary of Dreams 1&2, Misery, Insomnia, The Shining and Desperation). I have all (mostly first edition) SK hardcovers up through 11/22/63 when I stopped buying books (unless compelling). All books are on a spreadsheet with approximate values for my wife along with Betts contact info. My Centipede deluxe 'Salem's will be going to Jared Walters so, if he chooses, he can finally reap the well deserved financial reward beyond the $900 he received from me in 2004 for that exceptional production. A little pay if forward for something that has given me so much pleasure.

jreitan47
07-13-2020, 04:48 PM
An interesting topic and one I've had on my mind for some time lately. As I now have three rooms of my house dedicated to King and general horror collections and have been going through home appraisals, home refinancing and updates, it's been suggested by family and housing financers that I should probably look into creating a will and estate plan for my collection considering I'm not married to my partner and I have no children.

I also had thought about adding "Just call David at Betts!" in my will, but I understand I need to do more then that. There are certain parts of my collection that I don't wish to be separated. I'm not an "investor collector" and don't wish for it to be sold by someone upon my demise. I would rather see my King promo and magazine collection as a part of an archives, as it's rather unique and most items are next to impossible to find (sorry Ari!). I'm already in the process of formulating a plan for my horror zine archives to remain intact as it's probably one of the world's largest collections. Would like to see some of this stuff as a collection in a library or something similar at some point as it needs to be SEEN, not stored away on shelves collecting dust. Anyone who has tips and suggestions, I would love to hear from you. My current plan is that my entire SK collection is to remain in an "archives" collection, and to not ever be sold.

lotuz
07-13-2020, 05:28 PM
An interesting topic and one I've had on my mind for some time lately. As I now have three rooms of my house dedicated to King and general horror collections and have been going through home appraisals, home refinancing and updates, it's been suggested by family and housing financers that I should probably look into creating a will and estate plan for my collection considering I'm not married to my partner and I have no children.

I also had thought about adding "Just call David at Betts!" in my will, but I understand I need to do more then that. There are certain parts of my collection that I don't wish to be separated. I'm not an "investor collector" and don't wish for it to be sold by someone upon my demise. I would rather see my King promo and magazine collection as a part of an archives, as it's rather unique and most items are next to impossible to find (sorry Ari!). I'm already in the process of formulating a plan for my horror zine archives to remain intact as it's probably one of the world's largest collections. Would like to see some of this stuff as a collection in a library or something similar at some point as it needs to be SEEN, not stored away on shelves collecting dust. Anyone who has tips and suggestions, I would love to hear from you. My current plan is that my entire SK collection is to remain in an "archives" collection, and to not ever be sold.

I think this is a great idea!

If you are serious about getting this done, I would start the process of finding an institution who will take your collection into their archives. Archival space is not unlimited and it comes with costs, so many university and public libraries don't just accept all comers re: adding material to their archives. That said, what you have is definitely distinct and not just "man wills room full of old newspapers to local library"-type stuff so I imagine you would have some institutional takers, maybe even a place that has some King papers (not sure how widely distributed they are), or a place that has an extensive zine collection, or something similar. You might even find an institution who wants to add breadth to their collection and likes the idea of adding a complete or near-complete archive of material of something different! But they would want to choose this, not have it dropped on them out of the blue.

As I said to start: I think this is a neat idea and I have no doubt that you will ultimately find a taker!

herbertwest
07-14-2020, 12:58 AM
Last year, the university of Pittsburgh acquired George Romero's archives
Maybe they'd be interested in your general horror / King collection?

Just a random thought

And well, maybe King's office would be interested in their part of your collection, for their archives?

wizardsrainbow
07-15-2020, 04:54 AM
I think a few pieces of my collection/artwork will get claimed by my children (especially my daughter). At some point, not any time soon I think, I will sell my collection through Betts.

Br!an
07-15-2020, 05:10 AM
I will sell my collection through Betts.

:orely:

webstar1000
07-15-2020, 06:04 AM
I think a few pieces of my collection/artwork will get claimed by my children (especially my daughter). At some point, not any time soon I think, I will sell my collection through Betts.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. There is like two or three things that your brother here is claiming! LOL That Crimson King Whelan I need in my life. LOL

bdwyer19
07-17-2020, 05:41 PM

Who’ll get the commission???

wizardsrainbow
12-07-2022, 07:20 PM
resurrecting the dead....

....I have told plenty of people that I would sell their collections upon their demise but now at 63 years of age I am starting to ask myself "Who sells my stuff if I pass?" Only in past year I gave my wife a list of who to contact if I should pass before I "sell my collection."

ajw2910
12-07-2022, 07:48 PM
I’ve thought of that lately too. Do I sell now or give to kids to sell? Have been debating that in my head a lot lately…….

Tommy
12-07-2022, 09:16 PM
I think about this too.

frik
12-08-2022, 02:11 AM
Retired a couple of years ago and living on a fixed income, teacher's pension, and still wanting to buy the occasional limited that comes by - simply not doable. Plus the fact I wouldn't know who would sell my books once I'm gone - well, I decided to sell now (now being about five years ago), generating a bit of extra income and making sure my books find a new appreciative home. Does it hurt, selling my almost 45 years of collecting? Nah, not half as much as I thought it would.

sk

Bev Vincent
12-08-2022, 04:15 AM
I've been dispensing with mine a bit at a time over the past several years. I now see it as a burden to those left behind to figure out what to do with them, and I think there are other people who would appreciate those books now more than I do.

The Library Policeman
12-08-2022, 05:42 AM
When I’m 65 (God willing) my daughter will be 21. Selling up then and giving her the cash.

webstar1000
12-08-2022, 06:29 AM
MAKE NO MISTAKE.. unless I die suddenly I want to see HAPPY collectors get some of my coveted prizes. I know many here have passed on to me thiers... Other than no burdens to whom we leave behind... thats what I am most looking forward to. Seeing a thrilled younger generation of collector. :)

sentinel
12-08-2022, 08:18 AM
resurrecting the dead....

....I have told plenty of people that I would sell their collections upon their demise but now at 63 years of age I am starting to ask myself "Who sells my stuff if I pass?" Only in past year I gave my wife a list of who to contact if I should pass before I "sell my collection."

I hear you David, I gave my wife your name! Don't be exiting early!