PDA

View Full Version : Rarest of the Rare

Chooch
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I'd like to start a topic on the "Rarest" Sk books out there. I know that I will never be able to own such goodies (unless I win the lottery) but I still like to see them. So how about we all throw in and show pics of some of the elite editions that mayhap some already own or at least have a pic of them. and if so inclined, a discription would be great.

Pasiuk57
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Hands down
Salem's Lot First Edition First printing
Wish I had it but I don't have $40-$50K lying around either.....

e_taylor
01-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Hands down

Out of curiosity, of the three that exist - who owns them? I know Hutch has one for sale, and I assume Bob owns one, who's lucky number 3?

Brice
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Hands down

Out of curiosity, of the three that exist - who owns them? I know Hutch has one for sale, and I assume Bob owns one, who's lucky number 3?

I thought there were four or five of these. :orely: Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow, aside from Bob and Hutch I have no idea who else might have one.

flaggwalkstheline
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a first printing hardcover of pet semetary, dont know if its actually rare or anything

Gris
01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm still a noob when it comes to the HIGH END stuff like this, but can anyone explain why the Salem's Lot 1st/1st is so rare?

Brice
01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm still a noob when it comes to the HIGH END stuff like this, but can anyone explain why the Salem's Lot 1st/1st is so rare?

If I remember correctly because the first dustjacket (which is the only difference between a first and a second) has a price of 8.95 instead of 7.95 and I think and there are only 5 or less of those.

jhanic
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
And before Salem's Lot was issued, Doubleday, the publisher, decided to reprice the book at $7.95. All the dust jackets were price-clipped and the new price was printed on them. Somehow, a very few of the original dust jackets (there seem to be conflicting stories on just how many of these there were, but it was fewer than six) were found in a file cabinet and, instead of being discarded, were kept.

The story of this was told by Peter Schneider, who worked there at the time and was founder of Hill House Publisher, which is now out of business.

John

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
pet semetery 1st is a great book to have... but definitely not what one would call a rarity.

john beat me to getting it posted... but to expand on his explanation...
in answer to your question gris...
the salem's lot 1st edition had three "states" of jackets... due to errors on the jacket.

the rarest is the 1st state jacket... the original jacket. it was printed with the mistake in the synopsis that mentions a father cody (not the characters name)
it was also priced on the jacket at $8.95, before the book was sent out to stores, the 8.95 price was deemed to high, and the price was clipped off the jackets and it was repriced at 7.95.
a few (3-5) of the original jackets that weren't clipped or repriced were salvaged somewhere along the way and it is that version of the jacket on a 1st edition book that is so valuable. 30-50 grand is what it'll set you back...if you can find one. as far as i know hutch is the only one willing to sell his.

the second state jacket has the repricing to 7.95, but still has the father cody error in the synopsis.... there are more than 3-5 of these...but they are also pretty rare... in great condition, they sale for high hundreds to 1000.00+

the third state jacket has the price corrected, and is reprinted with the correct characters name- father callahan. they sale for low hundreds.
all three states of jackets were issued with the same first edition book - which only ran 20,000 copies i believe. which is a very low print run (consider that now. most of king's first editions are many hundreds of thousands to millions+ print runs)

hope that helps

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
i take it that chooch meant this thread to refer to actual published books... and not things like original manuscripts and such? - in which case i'd have to agree the salem's lot 1st ed 1st state is the grail....
though...
one could argue that the proto-type regulators is rarer -ie. 1 copy...or that the jeff conner's check copy of skeleton crew (hand bound in goatskin) is the rarest...

doesn't matter.... bob has both of these plus the salem's lot 1st state... (i hate you bob)
(not really... i luuuuv ya lots... now put me in your will please...)

Chooch
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned The New Lt Rap or even The Plant or Gunslinger S/L . I think that 'Salems lot is very rare and only a few exsist but are there not any Carrie S/L? Shinning S/L? :orely:

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned The New Lt Rap or even The Plant or Gunslinger S/L . I think that 'Salems lot is very rare and only a few exsist but are there not any Carrie S/L? Shinning S/L? :orely:

no carrie limited... no shining limited...as yet.

the NLR's limited run was several hundred
the plant was a run of 200 +printer's proofs
gunslinger sl was 500+ +lettereds and various other versions
so they wouldn't fall in the rarest of the rare as far as i'm concerned.

Brice
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM

There are not any so far.

jhanic
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Neither Carrie nor Shining were ever done in a s/l edition. I keep hoping for a Shining, but...

There are a few New Lieutenant's Rap editions and Plant editions around out there. You have to be patient, but they do eventually show up on eBay, ABE, etc.

I have one that is pretty scarce--it's the signed manuscript proof that was handed out as a prize for winners of The Green Mile contest. There were supposed to be six winners of each book, but I've only seen the one for The Green Mile #1--The Two Dead Girls. The others may not exist, or the other 24 contest winners may have all gotten the #1. Either way, it's pretty scarce.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/GreenMile1contestmanuscriptproof.jpg

The signature:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/GreenMile1contestmanuscriptproofsig.jpg

John

Chooch
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes I know but the ..."yet..." is what peeks my intrest. I'd love to rummaged sai King's home libary :P

Chooch
01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Very nice John..thanks for shareing...I didnt know that was around. What about the ARC of Green Mile. I understand that # 1 and 6 are the very hardest to find

jhanic
01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm still looking for #6. Here's my #1.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/GreenMile1proof.jpg

The UK Green Mile #2 proof is pretty scarce too.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/UKGreenMile2proof.jpg

One of the scarcest proofs seems to be that of the US Cell.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/Cellprooffront.jpg

Of course, lots of the proofs are fairly scarce.

John

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Very nice John..thanks for shareing...I didnt know that was around. What about the ARC of Green Mile. I understand that # 1 and 6 are the very hardest to find

my understanding is that there are only 5-6 copies of the 1 and 6 GM proofs. i do have a complete set.

Cloysterpete
01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
How on earth did they make such a dumb error with Cody/Callahan?.

Make me wonder if the synopsis writer had read an early King draft where the character was actually called Father Cody?.

Dolan
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
The Cell?!?! Are you kidding? I sold that to someone for like $75 a year or so back! I thought the minimum printing of King proofs these days is in the half million mark! :rofl:

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm still looking for #6. Here's my #1.

One of the scarcest proofs seems to be that of the US Cell.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/Cellprooffront.jpg

John

suckin'-frukin'-duurkin' .... arrrgh.... waaah...
still looking for this one that got away from me...

when you selling me yours john?

and shut the *&%$ up dolan...
you're killin' me

jhanic
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
It's funny. There were rumors that the US Cell proof didn't even exist. I'd really like to know how many are out there.

John

wizardsrainbow
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I totally agree that the cream of the crop is a 1st/1st Salem's Lot.

That said, different people will define "rare" their own way. There are items that by themselves are quite rare but for some other feature may be one of a kind.

The UK ARC of DT VII is fairly rare, only 100 numbered copies were issued. I have seen or heard of maybe at most 10 copies. I happen to have a copy signed by both King and Whelan and I like to believe that it may be the ONLY signed copy in existence (for now). I also have a King signed Grant DT VII ARC, also have never seen another signed copy.

Now how rare is this set?
Signed Carrie 1st edition
Signed Carried US ARC/Proof
Signed Carrie 1st UK edition

Ben Mears
01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
How on earth did they make such a dumb error with Cody/Callahan?.

Make me wonder if the synopsis writer had read an early King draft where the character was actually called Father Cody?.

Father Callahan was in the original manuscript as was Jimmy Cody. Most likely just an honest mistake.

sentinel
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I missed on the Cell proof too, I'm willing to pay more than $75 if anybody wants to get rid of one.:cool:

Randall Flagg
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
From an archive of the (at this time) defunct website for Hill House :

There's a side story to this book's publication of interest to collectors. The first edition of 'Salem's Lot was priced at $7.95. One of the points of a true first edition 'Salem's Lot dust jacket is the inclusion of an error in the flap copy—the character "Father Cody" is misprinted as "Father Callahan." For many years this was considered the absolute first issue—until 1983, that is. I was working at Doubleday at the time as a publicist and had just finished doing the publicity on Pet Sematary. One day I was walking by the art department and noticed that the designers were cleaning out their flat files, throwing out the thousands of old dust jackets that had accumulated over the years. I saw a few King jackets lying in the discard file and asked if I could take them. Once I returned to my office, I started leafing through the dust jackets and saw three covers for 'Salem's Lot. I noticed, however, that the retail price was wrong—$8.95 instead of $7.95. However, the "Father Cody" error was present. I called my friend Bill Thompson and asked how this could be. Bill replied that the book had been originally priced at $8.95; however, at the last minute the sales department had decided that it was priced too high and should be reduced by $1. The dust jackets had just been printed with the original price, but they were still at the printer, so Doubleday made the call to have the printer price-clip the $8.95 and run the jackets through the press with the new price of $7.95. I realized that I was holding the three dust jackets that had been sent to the art department before the repricing. Today these three dust jackets, mated with first edition books, reside in the collections of the three top Stephen King collectors in the world. A dealer sold the third one about two years ago for over $10,000.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
The rarest King published book is, People, Places and Things - Volume 1". This is a collection of short stories just like Skeleton Crew or Just After Sunset. (It is number A1 in the SK Primary Bibliography)

Stephen King owns the only copy. Rarer than 'Salem's Lot, and worth a lot more than $50k.

Prototypes and proofs have not been published on the open market.

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
I have a Galley Proof of "Bag of Bones" which was an in-house publisher copy. According to Hutch there was only 20 printed and it was only distributed to employees. Hutch was kind enough to make me a deal on it but I still paid a handsome sum as you can imagine. I kinda look at it as the "Jewel" of my collection rarity-wise as I have other rare/signed and numbered books (especially those UK firsts, such cool DJ's!!!) especially "Regulators" UK first!!

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
You know what the absolute rarest thing is beyond a shadow of doubt?

Sai King in your upstairs Bedroom, hobbled and typing new chapters to the Dark Tower!!!!

LOL:rock::rock::rock::pirate:

flaggwalkstheline
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Sai King in your upstairs Bedroom, hobbled and typing new chapters to the Dark Tower!!!!

isnt that just like a dirty-bird to say:nope:

Rahfa
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I have the s/l of The Plant, 2 of 3 w/same number...All 3 are inscribed to Chris Chesley, his childhood friend...not unique from The Plant perspective, but I think the prior ownership is very unique.

That "People, Places and Things" is a strange case...anything that unique is hard to judge valuewise, because it's not even a real collectible.

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM

Oh c'mon give me a break. It was just a joke!! lol lol Misery get it? lol lol

Just trying to "lighten things up" a bit. Seems I can't get a break on these boards lol lol lol

Chooch
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Just trying to "lighten things up" a bit. Seems I can't get a break on these boards lol lol lol

Dirty Bird is from Misery...

I'd like to see pics of your jewel Merlin, sounds nice.:thumbsup:

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM

I can arrange that. although I hate to take it out of its protection but I will for you guys. Just give me some time as I am old and technologically challenged (psst how do I attach Pics?)

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
http://s542.photobucket.com/albums/gg430/merlin1958/?action=view&current=011.jpg
Did that do it? God I'm such a technological idiot. Hope this works

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
One more time

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg430/merlin1958/011.jpg
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg430/merlin1958/012.jpg

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
God Damn!!!! I did it!!!!!

Sorry for the profanity!!!

Thanks Chooch!!!! You Da Man!!!

Room 217 Caretaker
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
One more time

Very cool Merlin.

Is that a slip or tray case with it?

Mulleins

jhanic
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Very nice, Merlin. I have that one, but no slipcase/traycase.

John

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
One more time

Very cool Merlin.

Is that a slip or tray case with it?

Mulleins

Slipcase. I guess because it was intended as an internal document. nevertheless I just love it to death. Thanks for all your compliments. You know (I'm sure) us collectors LOVE to show off our acquisitions!!! lol lol

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM

Sorry about that. Didn't catch it at first but, you're right. Good one!!!

BTW now that you taught me how to do that I just may bore the living crap outta you all with some of my other favorites!!!! lol lol lol

J/K

jhanic
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Bore away! I'm always glad to see other people's treasures!

John

Merlin1958
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Bore away! I'm always glad to see other people's treasures!

John

Well now that I have a "go ahead' I just might. lol

But at the risk of getting in trouble, my Nephew Michael Bender, recently passed away. Monday (1/12), as a matter of fact after a long bour of CP (from birth) and CHF. He was 21 yrs old. He loved Stephen King books and was in fact, sadly, only in the middle of W&G when he passed. He was a "Shriner" child if you know what that entales.

Matt is running a charity auction for the benefit of the Haven Foundation. Matt being the good person that he is has agreed to include Michaels name in the donation and comemorate him in some way, I have personally agreed, as well as a few Ebay "freinds" to donate books and collectibles that we (I) can to the cause. Anything and everything that you can muster will I am sure be appreciated. Matt is a good man and "Mikey" was a big fan.

It just jazzes me up to know that he may be remembered in this way and on this forum. Whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated and for a good cause ......The Haven Foundation.

Thanks to all. Please no posted messages on the subject. I am not here for sympathy (don't mean to sound rude) if you can help, Great if not, that's great too.

Thanks to all for your time and consideration

Sam
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Now how rare is this set?
Signed Carrie 1st edition
Signed Carried US ARC/Proof
Signed Carrie 1st UK edition

No idea how rare the set is, but I have seen a bookseller with a Carrie 1st edition, 1st printing that he wanted $900 for about 10 years ago. It wasn't even in really great condition.

gsvec
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I have one of the three!! :D

And it's signed "To Sam - With best wishes" :P

Sam
01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Liar. :(
It doesn't say that. Does it?:P

gsvec
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/B%20-%20SK%20Trade%20Editions/Signed/Carrie_1st_Sig_Sm.jpg

Pasiuk57
01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
John
I have a signed manuscript of the Green Mile #1 and an unsigned manuscript copy. Got both from Chris Cavalier's collection. Tough to get however-I got lucky with mine!

Sam
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
You know what that means right Gretchen? I'll PM my address so you can send my book to me. I think the courts would see it my way, after all it DOES have my name in it. Don't make me have to get them involved.:shoot:

(I wish we could have had our books inscribed at the JAS event.)

Patrick
01-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm enjoying this discussion and these photos.

Merlin, please do post more photos here in the Corner. In fact, you might consider opening you very own collection thread in the Book Collections subforum.

Sir_Boomme
01-15-2009, 10:29 PM
rarest of the rare... i know... because i designed it and had it custom built fewer than the salem's lot even! ha ha ha! so there! ... well... it's one of my favs anyways.(because i know how much work i put into it)

traycase- imported kidskin leather:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7992/zzatheplantcustomeditiotf3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

size comparison:
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6015/zzbtheplantcustomeditioaf2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

traycase spine:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8277/zzctheplantcustomeditioeb7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

custom cd and case wth pdf file:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6808/zzdtheplantcustomeditionj5.jpg

traycase opened to book:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/104/zzetheplantcustomeditiodb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

traycase with silk ribbon pullout for cd... custom hand made endpapers.
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7474/zzftheplantcustomeditiotw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7061/zzgtheplantcustomeditiomj1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

custom endpapers comparison book's vs. traycase's:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6192/zzhtheplantcustomeditiouv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

only the best materials used for this one.
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8245/zzitheplantcustomeditiohm8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

book presentation:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6369/zzjtheplantcustomeditiofj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
book in same leather with raised-ribbed/ lettered spine:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9727/zzktheplantcustomeditiodr8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

at_one
01-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Holy Crap, Sir Boomme. That Is Sweet!!!:drool:

Chooch
01-16-2009, 03:55 AM
WOW...very nice sir boomme...thanks for shareing

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Ah, yes, I was waiting for Terry to trot out his "specials." They are INDEED impressive. :drool:

jhanic
01-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Very, very nice, Terry!

John

jhanic
01-16-2009, 06:53 AM
John
I have a signed manuscript of the Green Mile #1 and an unsigned manuscript copy. Got both from Chris Cavalier's collection. Tough to get however-I got lucky with mine!

Yeah, I agree. You have one; I'm sure Bob has one and Hutch has one, so that makes four of the possible six. Scarce indeed!

John

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
John

Yeah, I agree. You have one; I'm sure Bob has one and Hutch has one, so that makes four of the possible six. Scarce indeed!

John

I do have one, but I got mine from Chris Cavalier's collection. I didn't think he had two, but I guess he did.

Edit:My mistake. I got mine from Charlie Fried's collection.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
John

John

I do have one, but I got mine from Chris Cavalier's collection. I didn't think he had two, but I guess he did.

Edit:My mistake. I got mine from Charlie Fried's collection.

I don't believe there are only six. The reason I say this is because I have one also.

jhanic
01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
That would be five of the six. I tend to agree--it looks like there may be more than six.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
That would be five of the six. I tend to agree--it looks like there may be more than six.

John

My notes (and I think I got this from Stu Tinker but maybe Charlie Fried) say that "there were 100 copies given out as prizes. Of that number a very few (perhaps as few as six) were signed."

Of course I can't verify the accuracy of the statement but that is what I was told when I bought it.

herbertwest
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Merlin, my sincere condoleances

rarest of the rare... i know... because i designed it and had it custom built fewer than the salem's lot even! ha ha ha! so there! ... well... it's one of my favs anyways.(because i know how much work i put into it)

Kidskin???

Cloysterpete
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Tis a Goat herbert, thankfully not a human kid lmao.

Pasiuk57
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Bob
I think only 6 were signed but for some weird reason I believe I heard only 13 were made??

jhanic
01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Interesting. There were supposed to be six winners for each of the six volumes of The Green Mile, which means there were supposed to be a total of 36 prizes. I've never even heard of contest proofs of the other five books, just #1. I wonder how they handled the winners of the other five contests.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Bob
I think only 6 were signed but for some weird reason I believe I heard only 13 were made??

You could certainly be right on that, Mike. Your information is as likely to be correct as mine is.

NeedfulKings
01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
This is a great thread! It would be helpful if the 1st post could be updated periodically with the rare item, number in existance (guess) and how many are owned by us Calvins. :) Maybe limit that to things that are VERY rare--50 or less. 100 or less?

Sam
01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Interesting. There were supposed to be six winners for each of the six volumes of The Green Mile, which means there were supposed to be a total of 36 prizes. I've never even heard of contest proofs of the other five books, just #1. I wonder how they handled the winners of the other five contests.

John

Well, I was one of the winners of the internet contest and didn't get anything like that. All I got was a few pins, some bookmarks (long since lost due to water damage) and a few other little promo items, nothing even close to a copy of the book.

Does anyone remember if there was there more than one level to the contest?

Brice
01-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Internet contest? :unsure: The only contest I remember was the one mentioned in the back of the original books as they were released.

Sam
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Nevermind guys. I just found out that I was thinking of a different contest that you were talking about.

The one I was talking about was a trivia contest on the internet sponsered by the publisher. Sorry.

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM

There's a side story to this book's publication of interest to collectors. The first edition of 'Salem's Lot was priced at $7.95. One of the points of a true first edition 'Salem's Lot dust jacket is the inclusion of an error in the flap copy—the character "Father Cody" is misprinted as "Father Callahan." For many years this was considered the absolute first issue—until 1983, that is. I was working at Doubleday at the time as a publicist and had just finished doing the publicity on Pet Sematary. One day I was walking by the art department and noticed that the designers were cleaning out their flat files, throwing out the thousands of old dust jackets that had accumulated over the years. I saw a few King jackets lying in the discard file and asked if I could take them. Once I returned to my office, I started leafing through the dust jackets and saw three covers for 'Salem's Lot. I noticed, however, that the retail price was wrong—$8.95 instead of $7.95. However, the "Father Cody" error was present. I called my friend Bill Thompson and asked how this could be. Bill replied that the book had been originally priced at $8.95; however, at the last minute the sales department had decided that it was priced too high and should be reduced by $1. The dust jackets had just been printed with the original price, but they were still at the printer, so Doubleday made the call to have the printer price-clip the $8.95 and run the jackets through the press with the new price of $7.95. I realized that I was holding the three dust jackets that had been sent to the art department before the repricing. Today these three dust jackets, mated with first edition books, reside in the collections of the three top Stephen King collectors in the world. A dealer sold the third one about two years ago for over $10,000.

I'm pretty sure that I know the whereabouts of five copies of the first state dj of 'SALEM'S LOT ($8.95, Father "Cody"). I think that Peter's memory is faulty in the above description about how many he found. I have heard him say that he found "four or five" on other occasions. It's too bad that he has not communicated to anyone that I know of in the King collecting community in years. It would be nice to be able to talk about things like this with him as we used to do in years past.

Since the dust jackets were stored in the art department at Doubleday and were folded to fit in files all of the known copies have a vertical crease on them from folding. On some copies the crease runs down the center of the spine of the dj. On others (like mine) the crease is near the rear edge of the spine where the black color of the spine changes to the white color of the rear panel.

To my knowledge an uncreased copy has not been described. And I have never heard of a copy found that has ever been in circulation, i.e. wear and tear. All of the known copies are in uncirculated pristine condition.

lophophoras
01-17-2009, 07:08 AM

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7992/zzatheplantcustomeditiotf3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

size comparison:
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6015/zzbtheplantcustomeditioaf2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

traycase spine:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8277/zzctheplantcustomeditioeb7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

custom cd and case wth pdf file:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6808/zzdtheplantcustomeditionj5.jpg

traycase opened to book:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/104/zzetheplantcustomeditiodb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

traycase with silk ribbon pullout for cd... custom hand made endpapers.
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7474/zzftheplantcustomeditiotw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7061/zzgtheplantcustomeditiomj1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

custom endpapers comparison book's vs. traycase's:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6192/zzhtheplantcustomeditiouv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

only the best materials used for this one.
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8245/zzitheplantcustomeditiohm8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

book presentation:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6369/zzjtheplantcustomeditiofj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
book in same leather with raised-ribbed/ lettered spine:

http://img73.;)/9727/zzktheplantcustomeditiodr8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Wow! Very nicccce!

Sir Boomme are you looking to adopt any kids? I'm not a kid anymore but can act like one if I knew I'd be inheriting that.

;)

Sir_Boomme
01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that I know the whereabouts of five copies of the first state dj of 'SALEM'S LOT ($8.95, Father "Cody"). I think that Peter's memory is faulty in the above description about how many he found. I have heard him say that he found "four or five" on other occasions. It's too bad that he has not communicated to anyone that I know of in the King collecting community in years. It would be nice to be able to talk about things like this with him as we used to do in years past.

Since the dust jackets were stored in the art department at Doubleday and were folded to fit in files all of the known copies have a vertical crease on them from folding. On some copies the crease runs down the center of the spine of the dj. On others (like mine) the crease is near the rear edge of the spine where the black color of the spine changes to the white color of the rear panel.

To my knowledge an uncreased copy has not been described. And I have never heard of a copy found that has ever been in circulation, i.e. wear and tear. All of the known copies are in uncirculated pristine condition.

with the background on salem's lot... i discern that basically the 1st state jacket was never released on a 1st edition book... but was in reality, it was a misprint... or could even be discribed as a proto-type jacket (since it never actually hit the market) .... that was discovered in the publisher's files....and much later, matched up with first edition books (which probably were already issued with "2nd or 3rd state" jackets that were removed).
and these turned those books into books that are now valued at 35 -40 grand or more.

bob, hutch, etc- would agree with the above?

if not.... please explain your conflicting opinion.

if so..... my question is...
other than the time period and title of the book... how would that differ from me matching with first editions the below rare prototype jackets, that i have accumilated in varioius ways (including stored in the doubleday files i have... which is exactly the same place the salem's lot jackets were found)

if the 1st state salem's lot books command the prices they do... it would seem that using these jackets i could fetch enough to lower my mortgage payments a bit at least.... it would seem huh...:orely:

i don't know if they are as rare...or rarer than the salem's lot 1st jacket.... but i sure don't see to many of them around...(and some i've never seen other than mine)
you salem's lot 1st owners (and others)... love your thoughts/opinions as to the differences.... if any.

regular published on top... promo type on bottom...
anyone have or seen another of these?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5156/a0fourpastmidnightalterhn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1st state promos of rose ( i've seen a few of these... i know bob at least has one or more...
and a promo "mockup" for the limited edition stand (which i know isn't anything like a 1st state jacket)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1300/a2rosemadderaltjacketslza9.jpg

i know several of these were sold on ebay a while back... definitely many more than the salem's lot.... but how many i don't know.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6566/a3proofcoverspe2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

e_taylor
01-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Terry, this is far out of my realm, so disregard my thoughts if you wish. But I think the difference between the 'Salem's Lot and the Four Past Midnight and Rose Madder is their intended use. The ones you have are 100% "mock-ups" from what I can tell - no printed price, nothing on the flaps. Whereas the 1st state jacket for Salem's Lot was ready to go. In essence all 2nd state jackets ARE 1st state jackets, just clipped and re-priced. So to find one that escaped the clipping makes it more rare. (EDIT - not that the mock-ups you have aren't rare, just rare for different reasons... reasons which would command lower values?)

I think when paired with a 1st edition book, although they would have never been sold that way the factor commanding the high price is the jacket. The book seems kind of a bonus, and just a better way to present the jacket.

Just my two cents!

Ben Mears
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM

with the background on salem's lot... i discern that basically the 1st state jacket was never released on a 1st edition book... but was in reality, it was a misprint... or could even be discribed as a proto-type jacket (since it never actually hit the market) .... that was discovered in the publisher's files....and much later, matched up with first edition books (which probably were already issued with "2nd or 3rd state" jackets that were removed).
and these turned those books into books that are now valued at 35 -40 grand or more.

if not.... please explain your conflicting opinion.

if so..... my question is...
other than the time period and title of the book... how would that differ from me matching with first editions the below rare prototype jackets, that i have accumilated in varioius ways (including stored in the doubleday files i have... which is exactly the same place the salem's lot jackets were found)

if the 1st state salem's lot books command the prices they do... it would seem that using these jackets i could fetch enough to lower my mortgage payments a bit at least.... it would seem huh...:orely:

i don't know if they are as rare...or rarer than the salem's lot 1st jacket.... but i sure don't see to many of them around...(and some i've never seen other than mine)
you salem's lot 1st owners (and others)... love your thoughts/opinions as to the differences.... if any.

regular published on top... promo type on bottom...
anyone have or seen another of these?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5156/a0fourpastmidnightalterhn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1st state promos of rose ( i've seen a few of these... i know bob at least has one or more...
and a promo "mockup" for the limited edition stand (which i know isn't anything like a 1st state jacket)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1300/a2rosemadderaltjacketslza9.jpg

i know several of these were sold on ebay a while back... definitely many more than the salem's lot.... but how many i don't know.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6566/a3proofcoverspe2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Good conversation points. I will be interested to read Bob & Hutch's comments. I find it intriguing that an unclipped price on a dust jacket can generate so much additional value especially since they weren't released with the first edition. Had these 5-6 been dust jackets been accidently included among the the first state of the edition and subsequently discovered by owners or collectors the additional would make more sense. Wouldn't the fact that they were discovered 8 years after the fact and then mated to exisiting first editions tend to make make them less authentic and more artificial?

carlosdetweiller
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM

As they like to say on the west coast "It is what it is."

carlosdetweiller
01-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Any discussion of the "rarest of the rare" should probably mention uncorrected proof copies of King's earliest books published by Doubleday. I don't know in what numbers these were done, probably less than 50 each. These hardly ever come up for sale anymore. In my experience THE SHINING is the more common with 'SALEM'S LOT a distant second. THE STAND and NIGHT SHIFT are really scarce.

I've never seen a proof of CARRIE and have never heard of one for sale. They are rumored to exist.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/doubledayproofs.jpg

jhanic
01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Very nice, Carlos! I can't ever see myself getting even one of those!

John

Randall Flagg
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
I postulate that the DJ's for 'Salem's Lot command such a high price because they do.
Simple as that. Little peculiarities in books, fine automobiles, statues, etc. create a strong desire amongst those who collect said items, and a collective "this is the most valuable thing" desire to acquire creates the market, and dictates the price.
I also believe that the documented changes in price, as well as the typo for Father Cody make for a fascinating, captivating story which fuels demand.

Hutch
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree with carlosdetweiller , etaylor and Randall Flagg. I think all the reasons a 1st state Salem's can demand such a price are covered nicely with their comments. Another reason is that it's current owners aren't selling. I believe all or nearly all were approached with large offers about 5 years ago and didn't sell.

Chooch
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey Carlos, here is a Carrie Proof on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-Carrie-SPECIAL-ADVANCE-PROOF-1ST_W0QQitemZ220305413978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqu arian_Collectible?hash=item220305413978&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Also, very nice arc's. I'm just starting to collect those and it seems those you have are very rare....excellent.

Dolan
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-Carrie-SPECIAL-ADVANCE-PROOF-1ST_W0QQitemZ220305413978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqu arian_Collectible?hash=item220305413978&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Cooch - that's not the one he means. Early King books had tall proofs. If you see the photo - they are taller and thinner than a normal proof. Ihave seen that type of proof many times before.

Chooch
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh...Thanks for the input...I love this site, damn I never log on and not learn something....cool:thumbsup:

Dolan
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
haha - no worries. We are a WEALTH of knowledge! But just so you know, that carrie proof (i am not sure of the printing numbers) is fairly common. I have seen a bunch sell in my collecting years.

I guess (and please correct me, guys) that you can buy one for about $1,000.

carlosdetweiller
01-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that but, as Dolan said, that is not a proof. It is commonly and mistakenly called a proof but it is actually an ARC and even states on the rear panel "Special Edition Not For Sale."

I have never even seen a picture of a CARRIE proof.

carlosdetweiller
01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
haha - no worries. We are a WEALTH of knowledge! But just so you know, that carrie proof (i am not sure of the printing numbers) is fairly common. I have seen a bunch sell in my collecting years.

Yes, and there is one that just got listed on ABE today for $900. Seems pretty cheap especially compared to a few years ago.

Hutch
01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
that $900 one on ABE has it's flaws " VG- a few nicks to covers, some discolorization to covers"

Yes, and there is one that just got listed on ABE today for $900. Seems pretty cheap especially compared to a few years ago.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2009, 01:21 AM

I got one for $449 from flatsigned.com in December.

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2009, 06:39 AM
This might generate some discussion:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/jerusalems-salems-lot/collecting-rare-stephen-king.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-h00-xpkingX-_-link1

Pasiuk57
09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Bob
I got an email on that yesterday...doubt the $90K will sell....
Not many around of course but.....
$40-$50K might be more realistic??
Pretty wild
I will be curious to see if it sells!!

Gris
09-18-2009, 07:05 AM
wow. Anyone here going to buy it? :unsure:

jhanic
09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
If it does sell, I doubt we'll ever know just how much it sold for. ABE doesn't list that.

John

biomieg
09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Any discussion of the "rarest of the rare" should probably mention uncorrected proof copies of King's earliest books published by Doubleday. I don't know in what numbers these were done, probably less than 50 each. These hardly ever come up for sale anymore. In my experience THE SHINING is the more common with 'SALEM'S LOT a distant second. THE STAND and NIGHT SHIFT are really scarce.

I've never seen a proof of CARRIE and have never heard of one for sale. They are rumored to exist.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/doubledayproofs.jpg

I had seen this picture before but I can't get enough of it... truly an awesome part of your collection! Now, I was wondering, do these proofs contain the complete text of the book? They seem relatively thin on the picture (especially the long ones).

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Now, I was wondering, do these proofs contain the complete text of the book? They seem relatively thin on the picture (especially the long ones).

Yes, they are the complete texts. Whether or not many significant changes occurred between these and the finished books I can't say. I haven't looked at them that closely. But they are the complete texts.

biomieg
09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Okay, thanks Bob! Before the Night Shift proof appeared on eBay some time ago, I had never seen one of these early proofs. Of course, I haven't been collecting that long, and I wasn't really aware of proofs until quite recently. It's great to see stuff like this, even if the chances of me ever owning one are very, very slim.

herbertwest
09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
90 grands it's nothing! :orely:

Any celebs are collecting King?
Frank Darabont? Stephen King himself? :P
I think that 90 grand was also the price of the painting at the beginning of the mist, no?

Randall Flagg
09-18-2009, 02:29 PM

http://www.abebooks.com/books/jerusalems-salems-lot/collecting-rare-stephen-king.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-h00-xpkingX-_-link1

I added it to my basket, but when I saw the $7.50 shipping charge I balked at buying it.
Sometimes you have to draw a line and not cross it.:P

Rahfa
09-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought there was a Carrie proof? The one with O-50 in the galley page? Why is that one not part of the group of four above?

wizardsrainbow
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
I thought there was a Carrie proof? The one with O-50 in the galley page? Why is that one not part of the group of four above?

If my memory serves me correctly, Hutch opined on this subject one upon a time ago. The O-50 is an ARC, not a proof. The proof in question supposedly was a "long" proof like the Salem's Lot and preceded the ARC.

Nerak
09-18-2009, 05:53 PM
actually, Frank Darabont does collect....:scared:

herbertwest
09-19-2009, 04:20 AM
i guess that the seller wanna hook some big fish this time... and get more money than the first time he sold them

Dolan
09-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I see that the bullet prototype for Regulators is $8,000 but a lettered Firestarter is only $5,500??

Do you guys remember a time when the lettered Firestarter was being quoted as being $25,000? Or am I going mad?

Sir_Boomme
09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I see that the bullet prototype for Regulators is $8,000 but a lettered Firestarter is only $5,500??

Do you guys remember a time when the lettered Firestarter was being quoted as being $25,000? Or am I going mad?

yeah.... i saw that and my heart did about six flips.... i broke out in a sweat.... and couldn't click that link fast enough- i was sooooo going to own me a lettered firestarter.
but alas, it's not there for sale.
i went back and realized that appears to be a listing for the top 10 $ sales/listings of books on ABE over time.

don't know when that firestarter sold iin the past... but someone got it for a steal.

Dolan
09-19-2009, 10:06 AM

yeah.... i saw that and my heart did about six flips.... i broke out in a sweat.... and couldn't click that link fast enough- i was sooooo going to own me a lettered firestarter.
but alas, it's not there for sale.
i went back and realized that appears to be a listing for the top 10 $ sales/listings of books on ABE over time.

don't know when that firestarter sold iin the past... but someone got it for a steal.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

gsvec
09-19-2009, 11:35 AM

I added it to my basket, but when I saw the $7.50 shipping charge I balked at buying it.
Sometimes you have to draw a line and not cross it.:P
:wtf:

:rofl:

Matt
09-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I have the only copy of a Gunslinger first signed just for me. :lol:

It is also basically remarqued by King...I love the thing, I really do. :drool:

biomieg
09-20-2009, 04:09 AM

... et voilá (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Firestarter-ASBESTOS-Lettered-M-signed_W0QQitemZ160363800976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item25566d6990&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)...

Sir_Boomme
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I have the only copy of a Gunslinger first signed just for me. :lol:

It is also basically remarqued by King...I love the thing, I really do. :drool:

ah... maybe not the only one.... here's my 1st edition - though no remarque

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2280/gunslinger1stinscript.jpg (http://img121.imageshack.us/i/gunslinger1stinscript.jpg/)

jhanic
09-20-2009, 08:48 AM
:thumbsup:

John

Sir_Boomme
09-20-2009, 08:51 AM
though i have to admit, i like my lettered even better...

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5844/gunslingerletteredinsig.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/i/gunslingerletteredinsig.jpg/)

what i think is so cool about this one, it supposedly sat in king's home until 7/13 of 2000 (according to stu at bett's)... then king signed it and gave it to a friend. so, if stu has his facts correct, it's a signed + inscribed lettered edition previously owned by king himself.
it's one of my favorites 4 sure.

i'd love to see a picture of your personal sig... what's the remarque of?
king can't draw worth a damn from what i've seen... but boy it'd be cool to have one of his doodles.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7944/gunslingerletteredinscr.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/i/gunslingerletteredinscr.jpg/)

Rahfa
09-20-2009, 08:58 AM
You got that signed to you in 1982? Moneywise, it's not the same, but collectors-wise, I'd take the personally-inscribed one over the lettered...that's one thing I don't have. I watched him sign a book for me, but without my name, it's not the same thing!

Patrick
09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm with Rahfa on this one. In any case, they are all wonderful books, Terry.

Matt, let's see your inscribed first edition.

gsvec
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Matt, let's see your inscribed first edition.
I'm pretty sure it's his avatar. :D

Randall Flagg
09-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Matt posted a thread about the book here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8452).

The actual image:

http://www.thedarktower.org/collections/Pic8.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-20-2009, 02:38 PM
You got that signed to you in 1982? Moneywise, it's not the same, but collectors-wise, I'd take the personally-inscribed one over the lettered...that's one thing I don't have. I watched him sign a book for me, but without my name, it's not the same thing!

ha ha ha... :P
signed to terry - aka me...but not me... i only wish - alas, i've never met king....

i think, if my memory serves me correct... it was mr. hutch that sold this "inscribed to me" aka. "to terry" 1st edition - many a years ago.
when i saw a first edition DT with "my" name on it... i had to have it.

back in 1982 i could barely afford a paperback... much less 1st editions HB.

now the provenance of the letter gunslinger came from stu... so that one's probably true.

Sir_Boomme
09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
that's a really cool one matt, and i bet you were there when it was signed....
<= (just a little jealous)

Patrick
09-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Pssst, Terry, click the link in Jerome's post above for the full story.

swintek
09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Good conversation points. I will be interested to read Bob & Hutch's comments. I find it intriguing that an unclipped price on a dust jacket can generate so much additional value especially since they weren't released with the first edition. Had these 5-6 been dust jackets been accidently included among the the first state of the edition and subsequently discovered by owners or Collectors the additional would make more sense. Wouldn't the fact that they were discovered 8 years after the fact and then mated to exisiting first editions tend to make make them less authentic and more artificial?

I completely agree with Ben's statement here. No offense to anyone who has one of these, but yeah, I've always felt that these are a "manufactured" edition, and fall out of the realm of "true" first edition, thus being a more of a curiosity, rather than the Real Deal.

Of course, if I had one- I might feel differently :)

For what it's worth, I recently received an ABE newsletter talking about this rare Salem's Lot "state". Since I still don't know how to post pictures here, I'll post the link and maybe somebody else can post the article.

Ron

http://www.abebooks.com/books/jerusalems-salems-lot/collecting-rare-stephen-king.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-h00-xpkingX-_-link2

Randall Flagg
09-20-2009, 05:42 PM
No need to post the entire article-it's an ABE for sale desc:grouphug:ription.

Matt
09-20-2009, 10:02 PM

I was not there for this one but I have had a chance to meet him. I'm hoping in years to come, I might be able to say..."hello". :lol:

But I know the book itself is totally one of a kind as he actually thought about me as he sat down to do it.

Randall Flagg
08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Archive?

Shannon
08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
It's been a while since anyone posted, but I think it is relevant and points out a lot of quality King items.

Merlin1958
08-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Just re-read through this thread and I agree it's worth trying to save. Maybe a few "Rare" Remarques? Lets bump it together and give it a week?

Sound cool?

This could be considered "Rare" a Chadbourne Remarque of a story he did not illustrate in UK FDNS. Happens to be a fav and I have posted it before but in the interest of "Save this thread":

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/2331/007oq.jpg

We need Bob and Ari and a few others to really weigh in!!!!

sgc1999
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I am buying and hope to soon have arrive a rare copy of "stalking the nightmare" Im pretty excited!! comes in a teak wood box with lock and key:)

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I am buying and hope to soon have arrive a rare copy of "stalking the nightmare" Im pretty excited!! comes in a teak wood box with lock and key:)

You mean this one? What a co-ink-a-dink, I'm getting one too, although I won't have it until 2012.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/stalking.jpg?t=1316216034

sgc1999
09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I hope its in as nice a shape:)

Ben Staad
09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
That box is truly outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

jemaher
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM

very cool book is it signed by king?

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
STALKING THE NIGHTMARE is a Harlan Ellison collection published in 1982 by Phantasia Press. They did a trade hardcover, an 800 copy S/N edition (by Ellison) and a 40 copy signed/lettered edition. It has an introduction by King, who did not sign the books.

sgc1999
09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Indeed, however this is one book i plan to have Mr King sign on his very cool intro page. I have a lettered edition, im hopeing he is cool with it. I know he is a big fan of Harlan.

sgc1999
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
update.... He signed it. Now the only copy signed by king:) i finnaly have something somewhat rare:)

The Library Policeman
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Congratulations!

Brice
10-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Very very cool!

sgc1999
10-10-2011, 06:06 AM
thanks guys:)

Rahfa
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I have a "Modern Masters of Horror" anthology signed by King at his contribition, "The Monkey."

While I can't confirm it's the only one or anything, I find it hard to believe there are too many others - it's an OOP, failrly mundane anthology, and "Monkey" had already appeared in Skeleton Crew.....so why this person wanted it signed at all is beyond me.

sgc1999
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Cool:)

jemaher
10-11-2011, 10:12 AM
most excellent... congrats

Stockerlone
12-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Don´t know if a limitation to 15 is to much for ´Rarest of the Rare´ :emot-roflolmao:

Stephen King - Die Augen des Drachen - The Eyes of the Dragon
Publisher Transgalaxis limited to 15. Red leather bound with golden spine.
Only available for ´special´ customers from Transgalaxis, this book was the FIRST EVER that was available.
All Transgalaxis Stephen King books are extreme hard to find.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT3930.JPG

Brice
12-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I'd in most cases be willing to say that if Bob doesn't have it, it's rare. :lol:

Shannon
12-18-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't think Bob delves too much into foreign stuff, right? Either way, 15 is rare. :)

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't think Bob delves too much into foreign stuff, right? Either way, 15 is rare. :)

I've got SIE but never knew what it was until Frank came along to explain it. I don't have any of the others.

Cook
06-01-2013, 08:32 AM

Merlin, please do post more photos here in the Corner. In fact, you might consider opening you very own collection thread in the Book Collections subforum.

I was perusing old threads while await'n Shannon's big event and came across this one.
So it appears Patrick, you had some involvement with creating "The Haven Fund Whore" :)

barlow
06-01-2013, 09:47 AM
pet semetery 1st is a great book to have... but definitely not what one would call a rarity.

john beat me to getting it posted... but to expand on his explanation...
in answer to your question gris...
the salem's lot 1st edition had three "states" of jackets... due to errors on the jacket.

the rarest is the 1st state jacket... the original jacket. it was printed with the mistake in the synopsis that mentions a father cody (not the characters name)
it was also priced on the jacket at $8.95, before the book was sent out to stores, the 8.95 price was deemed to high, and the price was clipped off the jackets and it was repriced at 7.95.
a few (3-5) of the original jackets that weren't clipped or repriced were salvaged somewhere along the way and it is that version of the jacket on a 1st edition book that is so valuable. 30-50 grand is what it'll set you back...if you can find one. as far as i know hutch is the only one willing to sell his.

the second state jacket has the repricing to 7.95, but still has the father cody error in the synopsis.... there are more than 3-5 of these...but they are also pretty rare... in great condition, they sale for high hundreds to 1000.00+

the third state jacket has the price corrected, and is reprinted with the correct characters name- father callahan. they sale for low hundreds.
all three states of jackets were issued with the same first edition book - which only ran 20,000 copies i believe. which is a very low print run (consider that now. most of king's first editions are many hundreds of thousands to millions+ print runs)

hope that helps

I have always wondered two things about the various states of this book. First, were there hardcover review copies of this title? If so were they sent out prior to the decision to change the price? If some were this may account for the discrepancy on the number of First state jackets. Second, Does anyone know a rough breakdown on the number of copies with 2nd state jackets and those with 3rd state jackets?

Ken

biomieg
06-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I can't really answer your questions, but 3d state DJs are a lot harder to find than 2nd state DJs. On 1st printing books, that is.

There seems to be a bit of overlap between the first couple of printings and the DJs Doubleday used - I have a (presumably) 2nd printing with a Q41 gutter code (as opposed to Q37) which was printed four weeks after the true 1st printing. This book came with a 2nd state DJ. And we know there are 1st printings with 3d state DJs.

If I recall correctly, this is a result of the 'Father Cody' error being discovered right before the first printings were released - so Doubleday already ordered 3d state DJs before the release date of the 1st edition. So most of the batch of 1st printings already had a 2nd state DJ applied to them, and the remainder got a 3d state DJ. Most of the other 3d state DJs were applied to the 2nd (and perhaps later) printings.

Bob has posted a publisher's letter somewhere that confirms this, I think (I may be wrong on the details).

Anyway, I guess the 3d state is mostly hard to find because people look for it in combination with a first printing book.

hyraxia
06-01-2013, 10:38 AM
This was an interesting thread - brought back a few memories, especially re. the Salem's Lot unclipped jackets - which I would still call as first state as they were altered by the publisher. I guess that $90k copy sold in the end. I remember it coming on the market.

It would be interesting to know which titles have rarely been signed. Some of the UK ones of course, but I wonder which are scarcest. Obviously some like Lisey's Story are as common as muck, but others?! Someone mentioned a signed UK Carrie, very scarce. A fellow seller here in the UK got a copy last year, I'm fairly sure he sold it on within six months. UK Night Shift - anyone got a signed copy? Interesting topic (don't get me started on Polidori's Vampyre first state!)

biomieg
06-01-2013, 10:51 AM
David @ Betts has a signed UK Carrie and I think he has the rest of the UK 'Big Five' signed as well.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Once again I state - the $90k jacket did NOT sell. It was mine, and still is mine. I regret trying to sell it in the first place, but I was out of a job at the time and needed the money. Now I'm working again and will take that dust jacket with me to Heaven when I go there. I made a deal with the Man upstairs regarding this, as long as He doesn't touch it, that is.

Note - only the first 3 sentences of the above paragraph are true. The rest is pure fiction.

Well, the first part of the 4th sentence is also true, I am working again...

hyraxia
06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Once again I state - the $90k jacket did NOT sell. It was mine, and still is mine. I regret trying to sell it in the first place, but I was out of a job at the time and needed the money. Now I'm working again and will take that dust jacket with me to Heaven when I go there. I made a deal with the Man upstairs regarding this, as long as He doesn't touch it, that is.

Note - only the first 3 sentences of the above paragraph are true. The rest is pure fiction.

Ah OK! Wondered what the story was...

Randall Flagg
06-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Why take it to heavan and waste it?
Just shred it now if you don't want someone else to have it.
That thought is the same (lame) selfish idea that that when you are dead, your spouse should never move on...

jhanic
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Or, as my wife would put it, if she can't take it with her, she's not going!

John

Rahfa
06-01-2013, 06:59 PM

If you had any balls, you'd have the undertaker sew it into your cold dead body, and then have your corpse buried in an unmarked grave. It would be the greatest, ghastliest treasure hunt ever - people would chop you open like an avocado on the guacamole tray.

That is, if you got the balls.

hyraxia
06-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Or just clip the price and take that with you...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Or just clip the price and take that with you...

Nice. I like your thinking. :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Actually, I have no one to will it to. Maybe I should think this over more carefully. And besides, what if I go to the other place? Is it hotter than 451 degrees there?

Dan
06-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Actually, I have no one to will it to.

What do you mean, daddy?

hyraxia
06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Actually, I have no one to will it to. Maybe I should think this over more carefully. And besides, what if I go to the other place? Is it hotter than 451 degrees there?

You could always take an asbestos Firestarter apart, paste the jacket onto the page block and rebind it in the asbestos.

Randall Flagg
06-02-2013, 09:36 AM

You could always take an asbestos Firestarter apart, paste the jacket onto the page block and rebind it in the asbestos.
I'll leave that to Robert Fulman...

barlow
06-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't recall where I read this, but I think I have seen it a few times. When the revised Stand was printed the original print run had a defective or rejected binding and were pulped, except for 1 copy that has a letter with it stating this is that copy! That would be as rare as you can get! Does this belong to a member? Does anyone know how it differs from the book that was released?

Ken

barlow
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I believe Jerome aka Randal Flagg has the goat skin bound copy of Skeleton Crew, an amazing book! The owner of the out of series copy that is currently on eBay indicates there was also a copy bound in lizard skin! Has anyone ever seen this one?

Ken

Randall Flagg
06-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't recall where I read this, but I think I have seen it a few times. When the revised Stand was printed the original print run had a defective or rejected binding and were pulped, except for 1 copy that has a letter with it stating this is that copy! That would be as rare as you can get! Does this belong to a member? Does anyone know how it differs from the book that was released?

Ken
I have never heard that. Nor saying you are mistaken, just that I am unaware of that.

Randall Flagg
06-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I believe Jerome aka Randal Flagg has the goat skin bound copy of Skeleton Crew, an amazing book! The owner of the out of series copy that is currently on eBay indicates there was also a copy bound in lizard skin! Has anyone ever seen this one?

Ken
I do not have it, nor have I ever owned it. As far as I know, it is in safe hands.

carlosdetweiller
06-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Ken
I do not have it, nor have I ever owned it. As far as I know, it is in safe hands.

It is in safe hands.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/connerSC_zpsc8288a0f.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/connerSClimitation_zps5600d6f9.jpg

barlow
06-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Ken
I have never heard that. Nor saying you are mistaken, just that I am unaware of that.

I wil see if I can find the information.

Ken

barlow
06-02-2013, 06:16 PM

Ken

I saw your name on the listing for this one in the Stephen King collectibles forum, my bad.

Ken

The Library Policeman
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Ken

It is in safe hands.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/connerSC_zpsc8288a0f.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/connerSClimitation_zps5600d6f9.jpg

Wow. Just wow!

barlow
06-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Ken

Ken

The information about this one can be found in the biblio notes on Barry R. Levine's website.

Lauterer
06-03-2013, 12:41 AM

Ken

It is in safe hands.

Holymoly....:ft:

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Now THAT is a beautiful book!

Not as rare, but my only Phantasia Press goatskin books;
MADWAND by Roger Zelazny &
OATH OF FEALTY by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Each are one of fifteen copies

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/goatskin.jpg

hyraxia
06-03-2013, 04:57 AM

For sale?

Randall Flagg
06-03-2013, 05:03 AM

Ken

Ken

The information about this one can be found in the biblio notes on Barry R. Levine's website.
I read the notes. It seems like ~400,000 books needed their endpapers more firmly secured. I suppose the book and the letter would certainly be rare.

Patrick
06-03-2013, 10:55 AM

I was perusing old threads while await'n Shannon's big event and came across this one.
So it appears Patrick, you had some involvement with creating "The Haven Fund Whore" :)
I am so, so "sorry." Please "forgive me."

Bill, you're "Da Man!!!" :grouphug:

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM

For sale?

No, not for sale.

barlow
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Ken

Ken

I read the notes. It seems like ~400,000 books needed their endpapers more firmly secured. I suppose the book and the letter would certainly be rare.

Yea I initially read about this years ago, other than the letter it doesn't seem like it would be any different from the edition that came out. also listed on that same site was information about the two volume copy of The Talisman, Bound in black cloth and signed by both authors, that King self published as a Christmas gift. This sounds sounds like an interesting book, that would belong on the list especially with the authors being hush hush about how many copies there are.

Ken

carlosdetweiller
06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Yea I initially read about this years ago, other than the letter it doesn't seem like it would be any different from the edition that came out. also listed on that same site was information about the two volume copy of The Talisman, Bound in black cloth and signed by both authors, that King self published as a Christmas gift. This sounds sounds like an interesting book, that would belong on the list especially with the authors being hush hush about how many copies there are.

I haven't thought about this edition in a long time. It is a big, heavy two volume thing that is basically a bound manuscript. I think I got this from Chris Cavalier's collection.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/talismangift_zpsad853a85.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/talismangift2_zps7cf82e06.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/talismangift3_zpse6ce708b.jpg

jhanic
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
I really like that!

John

barlow
06-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Those are really cool! Not divided as evenly as the grant edition.

Ken

idlewarnings
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
That's incredible.

Patrick
06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I like it! Any idea why Volume 1 is so much longer than Volume 2?

becca69
06-05-2013, 05:25 AM
As far as King stuff, the rarest I have is 'Salem's Lot S/L and UK TWTTKH S/L and of course the books that Mr. King personalized to me ;)

Here is the rarest thing I own now:

A Game of Thrones original dust jacket - 1 of 7 known to have survived.

https://s20.postimg.org/hkp0nv4cd/AGo_TDust_Jacket_Proof2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/cm1i9c0jd/)

Brice
06-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Pretty damn cool!

And after I don't know how long Bob can still pull something out of his collection I've never seen or even heard of. Amazing!

Just curious Bob... how many items would you say (guess?) your collection has?

barlow
06-05-2013, 06:52 AM
As far as King stuff, the rarest I have is 'Salem's Lot S/L and UK TWTTKH S/L and of course the books that Mr. King personalized to me ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/AGoTDustJacketProof2.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/becca3969/media/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/AGoTDustJacketProof2.jpg.html)

Hey Becca. Is there a story behind these jackets, were any copies of the book issued with it?

Ken

becca69
06-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Stephen Youll told me that this was supposed to be the final design but then a committee from big book chains voted to change the dust jacket because they thought it looked too much like a Romance cover. They had already printed some for press kits and when Bantam merged with Random House, everything was destroyed except what was given to Stephen. He has kept these for years and gave 2 to the collector who bought the original art. He decided to sell 4 and keep one. He eventually did the second edition of AGoT thru AFFC (which of course was also not used in the final production due to Walmart).

herbertwest
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Nice story and item!

barlow
06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Stephen Youll told me that this was supposed to be the final design but then a committee from big book chains voted to change the dust jacket because they thought it looked to much like a Romance cover. They had already printed some for press kits and when Bantam merged with Random House, everything was destroyed except what was given to Stephen. He has kept these for years and gave 2 to the collector who bought the original art. He decided to sell 4 and keep one. He eventually did the second edition of AGoT thru AFFC (which of course was also not used in the final production due to Walmart).

Cool! That's awesome that you have one.

Ken

Stebbins
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
This thread name makes me think of Pineapple Express. That's all I wanted to say.

Patrick
06-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Very cool, Rebecca. I have to agree, it does look kind of like some sort of romance novel cover.

WeDealInLead
06-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I have to agree, it does look kind of like some sort of romance novel cover.

Yep.

Nice collectible and a cool story though.

hyraxia
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/AGoTDustJacketProof2.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/becca3969/media/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/AGoTDustJacketProof2.jpg.html)

For sale?

becca69
06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
For sale?

:rofl:

sgc1999
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM

For sale?

hey hey. I get first dibs:)

Ari_Racing
06-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Yeah...I know. I bumped all the old topics today. This topic won't be an exception. :D

Theli
06-06-2016, 07:18 PM
I had never seen that AGOT cover, so thanks for the bump, Ari! And that is really freaking cool Becca. Do you still have it?

Sir_Boomme
06-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Other than The Drum, the double signed Rose Red script (one of 20 and only one I believe is probably signed by King and Pearson), and the Pet Sematary embossed cover's original signature.... some Rare stuff in my collection, but not really rarest of the rare. but took the pic for a facebook post, so figured what the heck... stick it here too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7224/26868452504_47187d0db0_h.jpg

from left to right, top top to bottom:
New Lieutenant's Rap -chapbook by Philtrum Press and given away to attendees at Stephen King's 25th publishing anniversary party on April 6, 1999
top are two variant Rose Madder jackets on 1st editions.
The Plant: Parts 1,2 & 3
Ubris : Fall 1968
The Drum : Oct 1965
Ubris : Spring 1968
Ubris : Fall 1969
King's College University of Maine's yearbook ... (I also have his second year's...not pictured)
IO :1971
Onan : Jan.1971
Contraband #1 : 1971
Contraband #2 : 1971
Moth : 1970 – (also signed by Tabitha on her story)
Starling Mystery Stories #12: 1969
Starling Mystery Stories #6: : 1967
Rose Red Script (original) – one of 20 signed copies signed by Stephen King auctioned by ABC during the series, only copy also signed by Ridley Pearson who wrote the back story that the story was based on.
Pet Sematary - Proof (1st state: typewritten text)
Pet Sematary - 1st edition signed and inscribed by King to Terry...
the paper underneath has the original signature used for the gold embossing on the book cover. book Jacket is behind.
Pet Sematary - Proof (2nd state: type-set text)
My Carrie collection:
UK 1st edition – signed
Advance Reader Copy – signed
US 1st edition – signed
Original Movie script – signed

becca69
06-07-2016, 05:11 AM
I had never seen that AGOT cover, so thanks for the bump, Ari! And that is really freaking cool Becca. Do you still have it?

Yes I do still have it... had it signed by the man himself a few years ago too! Currently it is stored in a tube. I did buy a 1st missing the dust jacket incase I wanted to put it on a book eventually.

Sai Sheb
06-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I am so fucking jealous reading this thread! The rarest thing I have is a talking dog, but that's nothing compared to this hoard ... love it

Ari_Racing
02-27-2023, 09:33 AM
Other than The Drum, the double signed Rose Red script (one of 20 and only one I believe is probably signed by King and Pearson), and the Pet Sematary embossed cover's original signature.... some Rare stuff in my collection, but not really rarest of the rare. but took the pic for a facebook post, so figured what the heck... stick it here too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7224/26868452504_47187d0db0_h.jpg

from left to right, top top to bottom:
New Lieutenant's Rap -chapbook by Philtrum Press and given away to attendees at Stephen King's 25th publishing anniversary party on April 6, 1999
top are two variant Rose Madder jackets on 1st editions.
The Plant: Parts 1,2 & 3
Ubris : Fall 1968
The Drum : Oct 1965
Ubris : Spring 1968
Ubris : Fall 1969
King's College University of Maine's yearbook ... (I also have his second year's...not pictured)
IO :1971
Onan : Jan.1971
Contraband #1 : 1971
Contraband #2 : 1971
Moth : 1970 – (also signed by Tabitha on her story)
Starling Mystery Stories #12: 1969
Starling Mystery Stories #6: : 1967
Rose Red Script (original) – one of 20 signed copies signed by Stephen King auctioned by ABC during the series, only copy also signed by Ridley Pearson who wrote the back story that the story was based on.
Pet Sematary - Proof (1st state: typewritten text)
Pet Sematary - 1st edition signed and inscribed by King to Terry...
the paper underneath has the original signature used for the gold embossing on the book cover. book Jacket is behind.
Pet Sematary - Proof (2nd state: type-set text)
My Carrie collection:
UK 1st edition – signed
Advance Reader Copy – signed
US 1st edition – signed
Original Movie script – signed

I know Terry is no longer here but what a great pic :)

MikeDuke
02-27-2023, 09:49 AM
I have something coming from Ralph that might be rare. I will post it here and if it gets the seal of approval, it stays, if not it goes.

herbertwest
02-27-2023, 10:10 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a Carrie ARC one day

MikeDuke
02-27-2023, 10:26 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a Carrie ARC one day
Yea, that would be nice. But for now, I will settle for my undated flat signed first ed.

Stockerlone
01-15-2024, 07:09 AM
Stephen King - Das Spiel / Geralds Game
Publisher Heyne German Jumbo book
cover missprint, bookname and SK´s name are missing
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Vincent_Chong_Fehldruck_Joe_Hill_036.JPG

The normal book
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Vincent_Chong_Fehldruck_Joe_Hill_034.JPG

mikeC
02-17-2024, 05:11 PM
I'm re-reading Lost Work book and I forgot that the issues of Maine Campus featuring Slade were stolen in the late 80s. Were these ever recovered or surfaced at some point?