PDA

View Full Version : Other collectibles

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Does anyone else here collect other things besides books? I'm always curious to see or hear about what people collect.

I will go first.

I collect comics, but more so to read than for value. Usually I buy the monthly issues, and when the trades come out give the monthly issues away. If you are ever missing something let me know I might have to give away.

Star Wars stuff. Not as much as I used to, and only the Original Trilogy stuff.

Dragons. I love me some dragons.

The Rocketeer. Love the comic, love the movie, have some stuff.

Disney. I'm a huge Disney fan and have a bunch of the pins from the parks, some art work, posters, etc. Love Scrooge McDuck, great comic character. Carl Barks and Don Rosa's stuff is wonderful.

OK, who would like to go next?

Randall Flagg
01-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I used to collect Zoids, but sold my collection several years ago. About the only thing I have left is a personalized license plate that says "Zoids".

http://www.thegogglesdonothing.com/archives/gorem.jpg

Mad Man
01-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Only thing i really collect is Sonata Arctica fan stuff i guess :P it's the only thing i want to collect i guess

Cloysterpete
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I've recently started to go a bit mad with Marvel hardcovers, I bought nearly forty of them in the last three of four months, but I only buy the ones Marvel call 'oversized', none of those crummy little Premiere editions lol.

I wouldn't say I collected them though as there's only a few more I want (the very new ones like Civil War HC are becoming too costly for me to get) and those ones are out of print.

I also have a few (20 or so) of the Bowen Marvel statues, Chrome Silver Surfer, Chrome Colossus which are lovely pieces but apart from that and a few million DVD my place is just full of ratty old paperbacks from the car boot sales.

wizardsrainbow
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I used to collect Zoids, but sold my collection several years ago. About the only thing I have left is a personalized license plate that says "Zoids".

That would explain your e-mail address. I kinda always wondered but never asked.

I still collect coins, but really half-heartedly. Growing up, I collected pennies, nickels and proof/mint sets. Now, proof sets are the only thing I have continued with. My wedding present from my wife was a penny...a 1909-S VDB (a semi-rare version of the first Lincoln cent). Today, it's worth 4x what my wife paid for it. More than anything, I like to tell the story "Yeah, my wife gave me a penny for a wedding present."

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 10:11 AM
The Marvel Bown statues are just beautiful. His Spider-man ones of the red and blue costume and black costume are great.

Matt
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm the same on the email addy...enlightened. :lol:

I collect small wooden boxes, don't ask me why. The wife does Boyds Bear Treasure Boxes.

Cloysterpete
01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
The Marvel Bown statues are just beautiful. His Spider-man ones of the red and blue costume and black costume are great.

I have four Spidey ones, three Bowen, one Spider-Man Modern leaping of a rooftop and the museum poses of him in his normal suit and the black suit. Plus a mini Sideshow Diorama where Spidey is battling Venom.

DAMNIT! I know what I collect.....the one thing I truly collect are Lead figurines of Marvel and DC characters from Eaglemoss, these are a magazine partwork and come out every two weeks with a figurine and a magazine about the character. I must have about 150 so far :drool:, they retail at $12 in the states.

Some of my Marvel harcovers:-
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00985.jpg

Some of the Lead pieces:-
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00214.jpg

A few of my Bowens:-
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00220.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/ab7d883c.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/ae5db9e7.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/66847442.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00673.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00688.jpg

If the images are too big let me know and i'll replace them with thumbs.

wizardsrainbow
01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
No, I like the detail. Leave them the way they are. Very nice.

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Really like the Thor Bowen statue, very nice.

Also liked how you had set up your red and blue and black Spidey ones.

at_one
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I collect the Spawn comic book since day one and I also collect Milwaukee Brewers/ Green Bay Packers bobbleheads......I have about 75 all together.

Brice
01-13-2009, 11:37 AM

That would explain your e-mail address. I kinda always wondered but never asked.

I still collect coins, but really half-heartedly. Growing up, I collected pennies, nickels and proof/mint sets. Now, proof sets are the only thing I have continued with. My wedding present from my wife was a penny...a 1909-S VDB (a semi-rare version of the first Lincoln cent). Today, it's worth 4x what my wife paid for it. More than anything, I like to tell the story "Yeah, my wife gave me a penny for a wedding present."

That's awesome! I'll tell you a brief story about the one I had. At the time (and most of the time) things were really tense between me and my mother's boyfriend (He collected coins since he was a kid. I did not.) and had been for years. He had also always been a violent drunk. One day I actually found one of those in my change from a 7-11 in VA. I held on to it. In an attempt at reconciliation when Christmas rolled around I went over my mom's and his house. I'd boxed it up in a old jewelry box and taped it to the lid with a piece of cardboard cut to size to conceal it and then wrapped it. As expected he'd been drinking hours before it was time to open presents. I insisted everybody got all their presents before he got his. Finally I gave him this box and told him this is what I think you're worth. (I wasn't gonna' make the reconciliation too easy. :evil: ) He opened it up, threw it across the room, and went into a blind rage; cursing and stomping around. After awhile he settled down and he'd talk to people excluding me. I simply said how about you go take another closer look. Well, after alot more cursing, drinking and insisting there was nothing in it and that I was just being an ass he went and checked and found it. I gave him a penny for christmas. It was great fun! :)

I've also always wondered about Jerome's email.

I collect things in general. The only things I actively collect though are books and vinyl.

mae
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Very cool Colossus! :thumbsup:

e_taylor
01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Books are mainly what I collect.

I had a decent vinyl collection going, but my turn table quit on me and I realized that I didn't listen to my records enough to warrant getting another. I thought about keeping them to frame and hang in the rec room as "art" but greed ended up winning and I brought them to the local record guy in town. He was happy to get a stack of Porcupine Tree LPs! I kept 4 albums in case I find a turn table on the cheap - Lateralus by Tool, Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree, We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n Roll by Black Sabbath and This Right Here by Buck 65.

When I was younger I had a meager stamp collection that I still have.

bast_imret
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I collect different things, as my interests seem to wax and wane. I'll become really interested in something, and want to know everthing there is to know about it and collect associated items where applicable . . . until something else grabbs my attention. Compulsive, but only moderately obsessive :P

Used to collect baseball cards when I was young (still have them), then that transitioned into Marvel comic cards (not sure if I have them, other than the special Spidey/Venom holo card I've still got in a case), and then that transitioned into Magic cards (which I sold) and Star Wars CCG cards (still have them). I also collected comics, and still have a big box of them, along with a book shelf of some newer stuff from when my comic interest was reviatalized a couple years back. Back in the day it was alot of Marvel and Image. Various X-men, Spawn, Ghost Rider, etc.

During college though, I started getting into the anime/manga stuff a bit more. Really like Masamune Shirow's work, got a bunch of his stuff. Original Eclipse issues of Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell, his various art books and portfolios. Also have original US set of the Epic Comics release of Akira, love Otomo's work as well. Also have a couple Yositaka Amano art books, as well Gaiman's The Dream Hunters that he illustrated.

Also started collecting animations cels from japanese anime as well a few years back, though I haven't bought any in quite a long time. It's also harder to do now a days for current shows, since so many are being done digitally. My focus was on Ryo-Ohki, the cute carrot crazy cabbit from Tenchi Muyo.

Big REM fan, so I also collect some of their stuff, mainly deluxe editions of their CD's, the fan club christmas packs, and some other items.

Have some other collectibles here and there, some Star Wars stuff, some figurines, vinyl from when I used to DJ, etc. Like I said, I just can't seem to keep my interests focused long enough to collect in one area long term. :wtf:

Patrick
01-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Brice, that is one crazy story, man. That was one hell of a way to spend a Christmas.

... When I was younger I had a meager stamp collection that I still have.
Hey, me too. I collected U.S. stamps. My mom was into it with me, I have no idea if any of it is worth anything, but I thought all the artwork on the different stamps was very cool. I've got the book in box around here somewhere, I should dig it up and go through it.

I used to collect comic books, but nothing of particular note, just whatever I was into at the time.

Gunkslinger
01-14-2009, 04:34 AM
I have an avid interest in Geology, no surprise since I'm a rockclimber. So I collect rocks from all the area I have visited. My son has picked up this interest too and sometimes we travel throughout CT to gather amythest crystals from a railroad cut, pan for gold, or rocky outcrop for anything of interest. There have been many a time when we headed home with our backpacks filled with treasure......well rocks anyway.

wizardsrainbow
01-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Mike-

That's WAY cool that your son shares your interest in rocks and climbing. You are a lucky father!

Gunkslinger
01-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Mike-

That's WAY cool that your son shares your interest in rocks and climbing. You are a lucky father!

David,
Yeah it is nice, he's only 11, so Dad is still cool, my 18 year old daughter is another story. Haha!

We also do a lot of Geocaching now too. Using a GPS to find hidden cache sites (treasure) outdoors. Your kids would probably like this, check out Geocaching.com ,type in your zipcode and you'll get a list of geocache sites near your house. There are cache site all over the world. I must warn you it does get addictive.

lophophoras
01-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Besides books and comics(which I am thinking about selling), I have been collecting old bottles since 1988.

I also like old tins : spice tins, or food tins....

herbertwest
01-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Recieved an interesting email from abebooks

Few days ago it was about the highest sales done on the website, now it is about "unusual bindings" (http://www.abebooks.com/books/unusual-bindings.shtml?cm_ven=nl&cm_cat=nl&cm_pla=cme_bookbindings&cm_ite=feature). there are some really nice binding out there !!! :excited:

Scoogs
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I used to collect everything Star Wars up until about 7 or 8 years ago. I just finally finished selling off the last of my collection.
My book collecting has also slowed to a complete crawl (need time to read what I have).

I wouldn't call it collecting, but I still buy a lot of CDs and vinyl. It's kind of fun digging through the vinyl bins in thrift stores (usually by the books, so I can cover both easily) looking to see what I can find.

Scoogs
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I collect the Spawn comic book since day one and I also collect Milwaukee Brewers/ Green Bay Packers bobbleheads......I have about 75 all together.

Apparently I'm not the only one in Wisconsin

at_one
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Nope, sure aren't.....somebody else here that knows the best cheese curds are those that really squeak loud :ninja:

bast_imret
01-15-2009, 04:27 AM

Nope, sure aren't.....somebody else here that knows the best cheese curds are those that really squeak loud :ninja:

mmmmmmm, wisconsin cheese curds :drool:

Pasiuk57
01-15-2009, 05:03 AM
I collected Euro proof sets-the expensive ones were Vatican, San Marino, and Monaco. You never find these coins in your change in Europe. They have a ton of special 5, 10, 50,100 Euro coins and some are made of gold. The proof sets and special commemorative coins are pretty interesting, but I've started to sell them on ebay to buy more King stuff!!
I also collect Joe Hill signed limiteds and lettered copies.
I have a ton of marvel comics including Iron Man 1-454 that I will probably list in the weeks ahead on Ebay-not to mention all the doubles and triples of King stuff!!

Ari_Racing
01-15-2009, 05:16 AM
I collect...err...don't laugh...

Credit Cards.

I started my collection when I was 4, so amazed of how my father could buy stuff without money and using that small piece of plastic. Years later I understood that my father had to pay for that later, but well...the magic of the moment never fade away and I kept on collecting the cards through the years. I stopped collecting these when I was 14 or 15, but I never throw away my ccs when they expire...I put them with the others.

So far I have 100-105 credit cards.

I also collect coins (a nice collection) and a huge collection of stamps, since both my grandparents gave me their huge collections before they die. I keep on promising to myself that one day I'll put everything in order...but no time so far. :wtf:

And I used to collect beer cans. I think that all are still kept in the attic of my parent's house (more than 300 cans).

And old magazines of my soccer team (Racing Club de Avellaneda). My father gave me all and I kept them safe, but when we meet we still talk about they.

My girlfriend never understood why a person collects stuff...specially me. :P

The Cosmic Geek
01-15-2009, 07:45 AM
This is all great stuff, keep it coming! I always find what people collect and why fascinating.

turtlex
01-15-2009, 07:52 AM
One of the many things I collect is statues / busts, from movies and comics.

Take a peak-a-roo : http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=594

Plus, of course, I collect comics themselves ( graded and not ) and am working on my DT stuff.

The Cosmic Geek
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I have those Lord of the Rings busts as well, nice pieces, especially Gollum. I have a few LOTR collectibles.

Love your Green Lantern statue, and might I saw, I love the Kyle Rayner one on the last page, he is my favorite GL and I have a pretty cool statue of him! Nice Crow ones too!

I keep hoping Marvel will do a nice statue of Roland, maybe let Bowen design and sculpt it. I'd also like an action figure of him, but do you think that would take away from it or just be as cool?

I want to start getting more DT collectibles, I'm actually afraid to check ebay cause I know I will break down and bid on stuff.

turtlex
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks, CG. I love my statues and busts. I try to keep with my favorite character and movies, otherwise I'd be too poor to pay my rent. Some of the statues I see are just great, even if they're not my favorites, ya know? I have to draw the line someplace.

All the LOTR stuff I have came with the first released extended Special Edition DVDs. Same with the Narnia.

The Crow is one of my favorite films, so when I came across anything Draven, I jumped at it. One of my favorite collectibles, not pictured, is an uncut trading card sheet from the movie.

I would give almost anything for a statue of Roland based on any of the comics. That would be outstanding, IMHO. I would seriously be lined up for two of those ( yeah, i think i'd have to get two ! ).

The Cosmic Geek
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Years ago after Rapid Fire came out Brandon Lee was in NY promoting it. My friend took a picture of him. I am a huge fan of both the comic and movie The Crow, and when the movie came out, my birthday came and my friend gave me the picture of Brandon Lee.

If you'd like to see it I can scan it to show you one day.

oy-the-brave
02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I have been meaning to respond to this thread for a while, since I had the camera out I took some pics. First up some Disney animation cels, and a Wendy Pini Elfquest original drawing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0032.JPG

Here is my dragon (mostly) collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0119.JPG

oy-the-brave
02-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Here is my Comisky Park (Chicago) stadium seat. I stripped and repainted it myself and had the paint matched to the original color (If I remember correctly it had been painted red, blue, white and lime green but this dark green was the original color when all the others had been removed).

The framed item is an actual lineup card, game used, by the Los Angeles Angels.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0101.JPG

Here is some other baseball stuff. I am a big Jim Abbott fan, he pitched for several years for the Angels, then for the Yankees (where he pitched a no hitter). He was born with no right hand. Here is a game used jersey, a 1988 team USA signed bat and several signed baseballs (I have 2 Angels team signed baseballs that I spent time after each game we went to getting signatures). The painting on the left is an original comic cover by Ken Meyer for the Jim Abbott story comic.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0081.JPG

Lastly I am a big fan of the musical Rent, here is a broadway poster and the bicycle was an actual prop used in the Rent movie.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/009.JPG

Patrick
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Great stuff, Dave! In addition to the items you point out... bubblegum machines, pinball games... I think we just found the location of the next TDT.com get-together!

(Coincidentally, just last night I posted a signed baseball in my Collections thread.)

wizardsrainbow
02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Dave-

Great stuff. We are indeed kindred spirits, as I am a big fan of King (no duh), Oy, Whelan, Jae Lee, Jim Abbott (watching him pitch and switch his glove on so he could then field was amazing) and Rent (my favorite musical...no day but today). I knew I liked you for a reason, and now I have several!!!

carlosdetweiller
02-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks, Dave, for posting those pictures. I always like to see what others collect and how they are displayed. I really enjoyed looking at your other stuff.

Cutter
02-10-2009, 07:13 AM
That is some pretty cool stuff oy, I love the Comisky Park seat!

Ves'Ka Gan
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I collect penguins. They are my favorite animal & they have a special meaning to my beau & I (as they mate for life).

I also collect Doctor Who stuff--it's a small collection of a few things.

Lastly my beau & I also collect Middle Eastern and Asian items, I just love Tibetan things & he was an Archeaologist focusing on Turkey & the surrounding area before he moved to the US.

Sam
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Here is what I collect:
The Boyds resin Mooses... Meese... you know what I mean, those little resin figures of a moose dressed up in different outfits and standing up like a person.
Comic Book, though I have sold most of my collection now.
Garfield and Get Fuzzy books
Star Wars stuff (games, books, busts, statues, whatever I can afford at the time but not the crappy looking stuff)
Books in general

wizardsrainbow
02-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I collect penguins. They are my favorite animal & they have a special meaning to my beau & I (as they mate for life).

Good God Ves! Where do you keep them? Do you have a pool? :wtf:

Ves'Ka Gan
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I:cool:

Good God Ves! Where do you keep them? Do you have a pool? :wtf:

:rofl: yes, it gets expensive out here in the desert--but we have an ice & snow habitat out back :fairy:

I suppose I should have said I collect penguin figurines & other items that feature penguins!

wolverine0712
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I collect comic books and baseball items - autographs (over 1000), cards, bobble heads, McFarlane figures, etc. You name it and I probably have it.