PDA

View Full Version : The Stand Traycase from The Collector

tippy4
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Traycase for The Stand (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/standannoucment.html)

I just got an email from Tomas at The Collector.

Looks like he has designed a beautiful traycase for The Stand.

Patrick
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, it's a beautiful traycase, although I don't own the proper edition of the book.

Before I ever owned the Centipede Gift Edition of 'SALEM'S LOT, I bought Tomas' limited traycase for that book.

Funny how once you own an empty traycase, you can't help but want to fill it.

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I just ordered 2

turtlex
01-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Sooo... I guess this is a good price for a slipcase? I mean, since Wiz ordered 2 !

lophophoras
01-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Ordering mine today.

Thomas does a great job with his slipcases and traycases.

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Sooo... I guess this is a good price for a slipcase? I mean, since Wiz ordered 2 !

Just nitpicking Pam, but it is a traycase as opposed to a slipcase and $50 is a fair price for a traycase. I own 2 1978 Stand editions, one unsigned (my first King collectible purchased from Bett's) and a signed copy.

Many months ago, Tomas consulted me on the design of this traycase. I had completely forgotten he was working on this.

turtlex
01-07-2009, 04:32 AM
No, not a nitpick at all, you're right - traycase. Gotcha! I have an old, not worth anything copy at my Mother's house... am thinking to get this to spiff it up some!

e_taylor
01-07-2009, 06:22 AM
I haven't ordered yet, but I certainly will in the next couple weeks. I kinda went and blew my budget on a few new things.

Side note - what tray/slip case would everyone like to see next?

Aside from another "printing" (?) of the 'Salem's Lot traycase, I'd really like to see a simple slipcase, ala, the DT ones, but in a teal/green colour for the UK S/L of Bag of Bones

Its the only King S/L in that is officially related to the Dark Tower that doesn't have a slip/tray case. And lets be honest, that one could use a little dressing up!

Cutter
01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Yea this looks very cool, I think he did a great job with it. I'll be getting one soon (before the price goes up).

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
My first choice would be a traycase for the New Lieutenant's Rap as I have the S/L, numbered proof and unnumbered proof copies. I have thought of contracting out for a custom traycase for these, but I'm watching my $$ currently.

e_taylor
01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
My first choice would be a traycase for the New Lieutenant's Rap as I have the S/L, numbered proof and unnumbered proof copies. I have thought of contracting out for a custom traycase for these, but I'm watching my $$ currently.

Take a look around here Wiz http://www.gaylordmart.com/listing.asp?H=3&PCI=128154 . I never realized they did custom work like this until I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. The "fanciest" clamshell looks to be about $150.... but theres tons of different options that are cheaper.

idlewarnings
01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
I ordered one for the 1st edition I had signed at the Folger reading last year.

e_taylor
01-07-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm just imagining how nice a set of tray cases like this for the first five "Doubleday Books" would look on the shelf. The only one it wouldn't really work with is Night Shift as theres no real artwork to feature with a window....

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 07:03 AM

Take a look around here Wiz http://www.gaylordmart.com/listing.asp?H=3&PCI=128154 . I never realized they did custom work like this until I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. The "fanciest" clamshell looks to be about $150.... but theres tons of different options that are cheaper.

Eric-

Not to get off topic here, but thanks for the link, and here is one that I have bookmarked at work:
http://www.currierbindery.com/boxes.html

And while I have your attention, I finished Michael Slade's Headhunter over the holidays and just started Swastika last night. I enjoyed Headhunter although the various timelines at the beginning threw me off until the threads began to weave together. Thank you for your generosity!

lophophoras
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I haven't ordered yet, but I certainly will in the next couple weeks. I kinda went and blew my budget on a few new things.

Aside from another "printing" (?) of the 'Salem's Lot traycase, I'd really like to see a simple slipcase, ala, the DT ones, but in a teal/green colour for the UK S/L of Bag of Bones

Its the only King S/L in that is officially related to the Dark Tower that doesn't have a slip/tray case. And lets be honest, that one could use a little dressing up!

I'd really like to get a traycase for my copy of the signed/limited Dolan's Cadillac.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-07-2009, 07:23 AM
The traycase looks OK, but nowhere near as good as this...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/king.jpg

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Arrrggghh. Can't see it from work. Will have to look at home.

Matt
01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I believe Tomas was going to start a thread about this. The traycase looks beautiful. :thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Arrrggghh. Can't see it from work. Will have to look at home.

Its a beautiful binding Bob posted a while ago.

blg
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM

For me personally, I'd love to get a traycase for my 1st Ed. Salem's Lot and Night Shift. Would also like to get something made for the 1000 edition of Dolan's Cadillac.

thecollector
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,

Glad you like the design of the case. You know I enjoy coming up with new case designs that complements each book. In this case I was able to mimic the dust jacket of the book by using similar font and placment of the title and author plus opening up the front to showcase the most eye catching part of the DJ.

HOWEVER,

You wouldn't even belive the hassles asssoicated with the die-cut window. I almost scrapped it entirely but I felt that a case without the window just felt incomplete.

Plus I think this design will lend itself very well to a Dubleday edition of Salem's Lot and working the kinks out here will make that process much smoother :)

The very first design was going to be more of an old fashoned 6-pane window.. So it looked like you were peering into the artwork from the outside. Turns out that's not practical to die cut both in terms of expense and keeping it not looking sloppy.

A straight rectangle didn't look right either.

There was an issue with the first oval die, it came out cutting more of a lemon shape then an oval.

Once we got the correct shaped oval was cut we had to figure out a way to find a way to hide the inner grey board that you could see around the window edge.

The first option was to wrap around the circle with the same outer material used on the case, it didn't look good. We played around with some sort of paint, that way to messy. We wound up going with an all white board. Looks good but quite a bit more expensive.

I think it turned out well in the end!............Oh btw, I agree the traycase pictured above for The Stand looks very nice, I gaurantee I couldn't have offered something with that much detail for under $50 though :)

turtlex
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
For sure, it looks bea-u-ti-full !

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I think it turned out well in the end! So do I.

............Oh btw, I agree the traycase pictured above for The Stand looks very nice, I gaurantee I couldn't have offered something with that much detail for under $50 though :)

Its a rebound book rather than a traycase, and it would certainly cost more than $50. :)

Dolan
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I am going to order one this weekend. I have ordered slipcases from Tomas before and if you dont remember - I thought they were truly exquisite. They fit so well and they make the book so beautiful.

Very excited about this one as well! I am sure this will be just as amazing as the others. My only "eh" about the tray case (if I may Tomas) is that it is white. Just not my favorite color, but i am sure the quality of this (like your other items) will blow me away in person.

Hutch
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
For those of you who may be looking for the book I'm going to add a few first editions of The Stand to our online store to coincide with the announcement of these tray cases. Over the next couple of days I may add between 5 and 10 copies. I added 3 already to the Recent Arrivals category. Maybe I'll list one or two signed copies.

http://www.stephenkingbuy.com

Traycase for The Stand (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/standannoucment.html)

thecollector
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I am going to order one this weekend. I have ordered slipcases from Tomas before and if you dont remember - I thought they were truly exquisite. They fit so well and they make the book so beautiful.

Very excited about this one as well! I am sure this will be just as amazing as the others. My only "eh" about the tray case (if I may Tomas) is that it is white. Just not my favorite color, but i am sure the quality of this (like your other items) will blow me away in person.

Oh you may :P

I wanted to go with a light color to complement the light color of the book. However when I did a mock up with a color similar to the creamy light brown of the DJ it did not very good. White was much better.

Patrick
01-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, it's a beautiful traycase, although I don't own the proper edition of the book.

Before I ever owned the Centipede Gift Edition of 'SALEM'S LOT, I bought Tomas' limited traycase for that book.

Funny how once you own an empty traycase, you can't help but want to fill it.

Ok, I'm in for the traycase - for a book I don't own. I'll order it today.

Tomas, it's not shown in the photos, but it looks like the bottom of the traycase is black. Is that correct? I hope so, it would be better than white which runs a higher risk of looking dirty after a while.

Here's the link again for anyone who doesn't want to backpage:

Hutch
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I wanted to go with a light color to complement the light color of the book. However when I did a mock up with a color similar to the creamy light brown of the DJ it did not very good. White was much better.

Actually only the front has any brown. I was shocked the with the first as new copy I ever stumbled into...the dust jacket spine, rear cover and flaps were bright white. Until then I always thought the dust jacket was a cream color. Thus your pick of white is a perfect choice for a color match.

willie3
01-07-2009, 06:36 PM
For those of you who may be looking for the book I'm going to add a few first editions of The Stand to our online store to coincide with the announcement of these tray cases. Over the next couple of days I may add between 5 and 10 copies. I added 3 already to the Recent Arrivals category. Maybe I'll list one or two signed copies.

Hutch, sent you a pm.

Dolan
01-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Oh you may :P

Actually - I can imagine that... so you are right in your design choice...

thecollector
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Actually only the front has any brown. I was shocked the with the first as new copy I ever stumbled into...the dust jacket spine, rear cover and flaps were bright white. Until then I always thought the dust jacket was a cream color. Thus your pick of white is a perfect choice for a color match.

You know, I thought it was possible that age had caused the white to fade over the years, but none of my copies is good enough to show a bright white color. Nice to hear it!

jemaher
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM

awesome link....THANKS

thecollector
01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Just a shameless reminder that there are 5 days left to pick up THE STAND traycase for the pre-order sale price of $48.95

Two working days if you get Monday off.... I'm sure no one surfs during work :ninja:

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/buy_slipcases.html (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/buy_slipcases.html)

Hutch
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I did manage to list 13 copies of the US 1st edition THE STAND . 3 copies have been sold. I think I'll leave it stop at 10 for now.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=1&sfid=30007&c=0&search_text=the+stand+&submit=GO

http://www.stephenkingbuy.com

Patrick
01-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Tomas, I just wanted to thank you for doing the traycase in any-color-but-black.

Having recently organized my books into one bookcase, it really struck me how many of them are black. Even many that have color on the dustjacket front/back covers have black spines - which is all you see on the shelf.

It will be nice to have something so strikingly opposite. That and it really is a beautiful traycase all around.

gsvec
02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
This just in from Tomas:

Update on THE STAND traycase. I just got off the phone with the bindery and they are set to ship the traycases to me on Monday. If everything goes according to plan I'll receive them by the end of the week and start packaging them next weekend; with the first shipments going out Monday the 9th. Single case orders will ship first, followed by multiple case orders and international. People with larger orders (5+) will be getting them shipped straight from the bindery and should see the cases towards the end of next week.

The final order number was a little over 100 cases, originally I said that I'd round the production up to the nearest 100, but I didn't want to warehouse that much stock. So I'm setting the run at 150 cases, plus 10 "special" cases that I'll talk about later. Nope don't e-mail me asking about them, my lips are sealed for now :) I'll keep folks up-to-date on shipping status on the forums.

Dolan
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I wonder what those special 10 are...!

Patrick
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
:thumbsup:

Patrick
03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I understand that these are shipping now. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Pasiuk57
03-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Tomas
Just got me traycase today-truly a great piece of work.
Thanks!!

Room 217 Caretaker
03-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Tomas
Just got me traycase today-truly a great piece of work.
Thanks!!

Now I'm really getting excited. Can't wait to see mine.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
03-17-2009, 05:09 AM
yep, got mine yesterday too, and bundled up my copy of the Stand in it. He did a great job with the traycase, it is really awesome. I'm very happy with it!

lophophoras
03-17-2009, 05:10 AM
I got mine yesterday.

It looks great!

Thomas you did a great job man! I can't wait to see what your next project will be.

:rock:

turtlex
03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Folks - how about some pictures?!?

( yeah, i dont have the book, but like Patrick, am thinking of getting the case, because you never know... )

Cutter
03-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Folks - how about some pictures?!?

( yeah, i dont have the book, but like Patrick, am thinking of getting the case, because you never know... )
ask and you shall receive. :)

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/stephenking/images/thestandtc_img1.gif

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/stephenking/images/thestandtc_img2.gif

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/stephenking/images/thestandtc_img3.gif

turtlex
03-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks, Geoff !

That looks great, and I love the white !

Very cool indeed.

Congrats everyone, they look awesome.

Patrick
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Sweet! Can't wait 'til mine shows up. :excited:

(turtlex, I broke down and bought a 1st of THE STAND after this traycase was announced. )

turtlex
03-18-2009, 03:12 AM

(turtlex, I broke down and bought a 1st of THE STAND after this traycase was announced. )

Patrick - Now see, it's things like that which make me love you all the more!

Randall Flagg
03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Wondering if the cases were shipped USPS, or UPS?

thecollector
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey Randall,

The cases were shipped out UPS priority.

thecollector
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey Randall,

The cases were shipped out UPS priority. About 3/4 of the single domestic orders went out Saturday, the rest of the single domestic went out Monday.

Single international orders started going out yesterday with the rest going out tonight.

Multiple case orders will start shipping on Saturday.

Matt
03-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Seriously beautiful work there

idlewarnings
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Got mine a couple of days ago. I love it. Nice job.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Randall,

The cases were shipped out UPS priority. About 3/4 of the single domestic orders went out Saturday, the rest of the single domestic went out Monday.

Single international orders started going out yesterday with the rest going out tonight.

I ordered two. Can't wait to see them.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Patrick - Now see, it's things like that which make me love you all the more!
:couple:

Thanks for the update, Tomas.

gsvec
03-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Can't wait for mine, Tomas - thanks for the update! :D

Patrick
03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
It arrived today. :rock:

Nice work, Tomas!

e_taylor
03-20-2009, 03:37 PM
:drool: Can't wait to get mine!

Brice
03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
I haven't a book to put in one, but this is a really nice traycase you've made Tomas.

jemaher
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I got my order and they are wonderful! cant wait to see a similar treatment for the salem's lot doubleday edition.

willie3
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
This just in from Tomas...

Hi Folks,

For those not checking the website forums regularly I wanted to give you all an shipping update on The Stand traycase, as well as get some other traycase related news out to you.

Shipping Update - So traycase shipping is about 95% complete. The orders still left to pack are multi-case domestic orders (For example The Stand + Cycle of the Werewolf + Wastelands in one order). The remaining orders should be done by Friday. Everything else both domestic and international has been shipped. I hope everyone is pleased with the cases. I have around 40 of these left. Once they're gone they're gone, so if you'd like another one it's not to late...yet.

Variant case - As I mentioned in my previous newsletter I have also made a variant of The Stand case. Something I like to call the "reverse" case, since this is pretty much a reverse color pattern of the production case. Black outer wrapper covering a white inner box, white lettering for the title. TEN cases have been made and are NOT for sale at this time. That's right, you can't go to the site and buy one.... So how can you get your hands on one of these super-rare, truly awesome cases? These cases will pop-up one at a time from various sites over the next few months. Some will be offered free as prizes, others auctioned for Charity, and still others I haven't quite decided what to do with.

IN FACT THE FIRST ONE IS AVAILABLE NOW!
Veryfinebooks.com is offering a prize of a 1st edition copy of The Stand complete with one of these special variant traycases. It's completely free to enter, just head on over to their contest page and answer 5 questions. That's it!

Full details of the cases, including pictures of the variant can be found here.

The response to the cases has been extremely positive so far, with many people asking me what cases I plan to make in the future. Well my friends that's up to you, I'll be putting a survey up next month where you can tell me what cases you'd like to see. The case that is most popular will be made next. Stay tuned for more details on that soon.

That's it for now, as always if you have any questions about an item in the newsletter or any other Stephen King related questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks much,
Tomas Krynsky
"The Collector"
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com

Matt, think one of these could be had for the Big Give?

Room 217 Caretaker
03-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I got my order and they are wonderful! cant wait to see a similar treatment for the salem's lot doubleday edition.

I agree. I would love to see the same treatment to cover the fab 5:

Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand (done)
Night Shift

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

gsvec
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Mine should be on the way shortly since I included a slipcase for my Cycle of the Werewolf (finally!) on the same order. Can't wait!

e_taylor
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I would also love to see the original Doubleday books, all in gorgeous traycases.

Is there a 'Salem's Lot case in the works????

Also, I sent Tomas an email with an interesting idea I came up with for some new cases. I'll elaborate once we've discussed it more and if it goes anywhere!

Earth's Militant Mind
03-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Just an interesting note here.... veryfinebooks.com is giving away a copy of The Stand with tray case as a prize for the SK trivia. What really makes it interesting it that the have a black(varient) tray case instead of white. Here is the link: http://www.veryfinebooks.com/Articles.asp?ID=137

Room 217 Caretaker
03-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Just an interesting note here.... veryfinebooks.com is giving away a copy of The Stand with tray case as a prize for the SK trivia. What really makes it interesting it that the have a black(varient) tray case instead of white. Here is the link: http://www.veryfinebooks.com/Articles.asp?ID=137

Yes. That's one of the 10 special cases Tomas talked about. :rock: Very cool indeed.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
03-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Very cool Tom is giving these variants out for free to others for prizes and charities. :thumbsup:

and after being very happy with The Stand traycase I'll but whatever traycase he puts out in the future!

lophophoras
03-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Same here. As long as he continues making them, I'll keep buying them.

Matt
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Entered this one, wish me luck!

Brice
03-25-2009, 08:16 AM
I wish you almost as much luck as I wish for myself, Matt. :couple:

Matt
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Hsssssssssssssssssssss!!

We are friends Brice, but this may strain that. :lol:

Brice
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM
:lol:

Hey, I do wish you luck...if I don't win. :innocent:

Matt
03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Wanted to post the below information here. This auction begins on Friday

Thank you Tomas, for this generous donation.

Auction #36
The Stand--Limited Edition Traycase
Generously donated by thecollector

Up for auction is one of only 10 variant traycases made for The Stand from stephenkingcollector.com

These cases are not available for general sale and with only 10 made you're going to own an uber rare item that has a smaller run then many lettered edition books!

For more information and/or pics go to
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/standvariant.html

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/slipcase/stand/bwhalo.jpg

The regular edition of this tray case sells for almost $60.00

Auction begins on: 4/3/09

Starting bid will be: $50.00

Please bid if you can. 100% of the proceeds from this auction will go to benefit our Haven Foundation fund raiser.

Randall Flagg
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
I have a feeling this will draw a fair amount of interest.
Thanks to Tomas from www.stephenkingcollector.com (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com)

wizardsrainbow
03-31-2009, 08:58 AM
I still have not received my original two cases that I ordered. :orely:

e_taylor
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
I still have not received my original two cases that I ordered. :orely:

I'd email Tomas, I got mine over a week ago!

thecollector
03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Wiz, I"m PMing you now.

Patrick
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet auction item! Thank you for the donation to TDT.com's The Haven Foundation fundraiser, Tomas!

wizardsrainbow
04-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Tomas-

I got my cases from the mail room of my former employer last night.

Beautiful job! Thanks ever so much.

Matt
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The auction for the limited edition Stand tray case is now open. It's in DTbay under "memorabilia"