PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Novels You Couldnt Get Into

Arthur Heath
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Just curious what GN's you folks have tried to read that you havent really been able to get into.

At the risk of being disowned by Feeve:

Fables
100 Bullets

I do find if I put a GN down and come back to it when I have nothing else to read I enjoy it.

So what couldnt you get into?

Aaron
01-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow. I don't think I have one yet. I am very selective about what I try, usually researching a fair bit before I even pick it up. I guess I'm just not reading enough yet.

flaggwalkstheline
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
i know its supposed to be a masterpiece but I just dont care for Batman: Arkam asylum
2 me its the DC equivalent of Spiderman: Torment, which oddly most people recognize as self indulgent overdramatic junk by the usually great Todd Mcfarlane

Empath of the White
01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
At the risk of getting castrated, drawn, quartered, and dismembered:

Watchmen: Its something I can only really take a few pages at a time. Usually if its something I really like, I can get into it and keep reading till the end. I think that Moore needs an editor.

Sam
01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm currently reading Watchmen for the first time. It is a bit tough to get into. I haven't really read one that I just wouldn't finish, but Miller's last entry in the Sin City series was not good at all. I think it was Hell and Back.

The Cosmic Geek
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Watchmen can be a tough book to get into. It was my second reading of it that made me love it.

As for me:

Scud The Disposable Assasisn. I had wanted to read this comic for so long and when they finally released the entire series as a graphic novel I bough it and couldn't get past the second issue.

flaggwalkstheline
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
watchmen can be difficult to read because it is very different from other "comicbooks" its made in such a way that its deeper and more detailed than even a normal novel,it can be offputting initially

Arthur Heath
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Scud The Disposable Assasisn. I had wanted to read this comic for so long and when they finally released the entire series as a graphic novel I bough it and couldn't get past the second issue.

I love Scud. I got to meet the creator, Rob Schrab, at a few conventions. Cool guy. He's releasing new issues.

fernandito
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Fables

</3

How far into the series did you get before you set it aside? And don't say Vol. 1 or I'll explode :nope:

--

Scud is f'n awesome! They're releasing omnibus(es) of him now?

/Me didn't know that.

Arthur Heath
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Im willing to give anything at least two volumes and have ordered the second from Amazon. Enough people are in to it by the looks of things so I'll try again.
Please dont explode, that would be messy.

Seymour_Glass
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm, oddly enough, having a hard time getting into Preacher. I like it. I don't know why it's so difficult for me.

Arthur Heath
01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm, oddly enough, having a hard time getting into Preacher. I like it. I don't know why it's so difficult for me.

I also had a hard time getting into it my first try. Then my second run at it I tore through it and it became my favorite series.

LadyHitchhiker
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
The Watchmen :pullhair:

Sam
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM

If I can help you through it, ask away. I loved Preacher.

The Cosmic Geek
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM

I love Scud. I got to meet the creator, Rob Schrab, at a few conventions. Cool guy. He's releasing new issues.

Yeah? HMM, maybe I will look at the new issues, borrow them from a friend.

I've always wanted to read Madman but am afraid I won't like it.

Fables really begins to pick up from trade 2 and on, each issue building off the last and working its way into the over all story line. Give it another chance, maybe you will like it, if not, that's cool, least you gave it a shot, right?

Seymour_Glass
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
So, I gave Preacher another try. I'm loving it. All the characters are cool and interesting, and Cassidy is really well-written, even if he is an asshole.
And I loved Arkham Asylum. Deeply symbolic.