PDA

View Full Version : Your least favourite character?

Letti
08-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Who is your least favourite character from the series and why? There were so many that I don't think we need a poll here.

Chassit
08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Jake Chamber's tweaker dad, I hate tweakers!

XIX

Jean
08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
there's some ambiguity, I am afraid. The least favorite because I hated him/her, or because I think they were poorly written? If the latter, it's Susan and Rhea. (if the former, I got to think some more)

Letti
08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Wow Jean.

MonteGss
08-11-2007, 03:38 AM
This is a real tough one. I really don't dislike any character, truly I don't. I love the series so much. I mean Andy was a complete fuck, an evil traitorous sneak-thief. Rhea was just plain horrible. However, I am going to go with the character that annoyed me the most and that was Susan.
(Incidently, she is the reason why I will never vote for Wizard as my favorite book...go Wolves :) )

Letti
08-11-2007, 05:23 AM
You guys make me look at Susan another way.

Jean
08-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Monte, I am ready to kill you (reason: jealousy). I've been arguing the weakness of Susan as literaty character for years at .net, and now you come and say one word, and Nikolett is inclined to look at her differently. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:33 AM
:lol:

Aunt Cordelia bugged me immensely - I can't count the number of times I wanted to drag her out the page and slap her. But to that end Susan annoyed me for not taking a stand.

Cal Tower similarly annoyed me, but that goes to show how well written he was, because he was totally meant to wasn't he.

Letti
08-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Monte, I am ready to kill you (reason: jealousy). I've been arguing the weakness of Susan as literaty character for years at .net, and now you come and say one word, and Nikolett is inclined to look at her differently. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif

The pressure you and the others have been putting on my shoulders made me look at her differently. (But I haven't changed my mind yet.)
You are in it.
You are, dear. :D

Letti
08-11-2007, 06:47 AM

Aunt Cordelia bugged me immensely - I can't count the number of times I wanted to drag her out the page and slap her. But to that end Susan annoyed me for not taking a stand.

Cal Tower similarly annoyed me, but that goes to show how well written he was, because he was totally meant to wasn't he.

I liked these characters. Because they were so complex and with their mistakes they were so human-like.

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes, I know what you mean! Your question is actually quite hard to answer because of the very point you just made. I can't think of anyone I outright loathed though - not even the CK, Flagg or Mordred - even they had sinister appeal.

Letti
08-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Your question is actually quite hard to answer.

I know. ;)

MonteGss
08-11-2007, 03:23 PM
To Jean:
I have a magic spell over Letti...everything I say makes her defenses fall and makes her knees weak. :lol:

I agree with with Darkthoughts to:
Aunt Cord and Cal Tower were extremely obnoxious but they didn't grind on me like Susan did. Tower was actually so obnoxious he was amusing. :)

Jean
08-11-2007, 10:04 PM
1. To Jean:
I have a magic spell over Letti...everything I say makes her defenses fall and makes her knees weak. :lol:

2. I agree with with Darkthoughts to:
Aunt Cord and Cal Tower were extremely obnoxious but they didn't grind on me like Susan did. Tower was actually so obnoxious he was amusing. :)
1. ::coldly:: I have noticed.

2. same here

Wuducynn
08-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I liked Calvin Tower too just because he was such an amazing pain in the ass that it was funny.

Probably my least favorite character in the series would have to be Cordelia Delgado.

Letti
08-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I think my least favourite (after a long thinking) is Walter.

fernandito
08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
::heart attack::

Letti
08-12-2007, 02:55 AM
::heart attack::

I was waiting for this. :lol:

fernandito
08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Why is the clever/devious/shapeshifting sorcerer your least favorite?

Daghain
08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't really have a least favorite. Some I liked more than others, but yeah, I'm definitely not a Susan fan. She was just to...needy to me, I guess.

Letti
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Maybe I didn't see him this way.

Matt
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm still all for Susan, that girl stood when the chips came down reguardless.

There aren't many people you could count on to murder old friends in an effort to spring you.

I hated the Taheen and Calvin Tower the most

Letti
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Calvin is so cute. :P

Really. :lol:

Wuducynn
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I hated the Taheen

Which taheen? Or all of them?

Darkthoughts
08-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Uh oh...its getting personal :lol:

Wuducynn
08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Not at all. Afterall the question is which character, right?

tamez
08-18-2007, 08:54 AM
my least favourite characters are tied
Cordelia and Mayor Thorin (yeck)
but, my favorite "bad guy"
was Mort. that whole part of the story
is incredible

Matt
08-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Pretty much everyone I met Matthew :lol:

Wuducynn
08-19-2007, 07:38 AM
:( You hate EVERYONE don't you??? EVERYONE!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Darkthoughts
08-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Told ya :P

Good shout though Tamez! I'd totally discounted Mort, because as you said, that whole part of the story was so engrossing I almost forgot he was a bad guy.

Wuducynn
08-20-2007, 05:49 AM
It's okay, Matt knows I hate him... :huglove:

fernandito
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM

Ahh! Touche'! Care to elaborate a little, love? :)

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

I will with pleasure as soon as my mind works again. :rose:

Wuducynn
08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
*Turns on Lett's mind for her* There you go beautiful! :huglove:

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
*Turns on Lett's mind for her* There you go beautiful! :huglove:

Oh I wish it was so easy. :lol:

fernandito
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM

I will with pleasure as soon as my mind works again. :rose:

Will a swift kick to the temple make it work? :P:cyclops:

Wuducynn
08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
HEY!! Only I get to kick Letti in the temple around here mister!

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Gentlemen...

fernandito
08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
CK, I challenge you to a Swift-Kick-To-The-Temple contest! And please, leave your red robe at home :P

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
*leaves the country*
Oh damn how lucky I am. I needn't leave the country very quickly becaue you live on another continent. :P

Wuducynn
08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh Letti I love your new avatar...sexy!

Wuducynn
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay, back on topic...Cordelia Delgado, yeah, what a dumb bitch. Can't stand her. I think it would have been great if Susan shot her through her blabbering mouth out the back of her neck. What a great scene.. "Hile Auntie, I have something special for you that my new boyfriend Will Dearborn gave me, you know the one I've been fucking thrice daily? Yeah that one...anyway here is what I wanted to show you...**BAM** **teeth flying** "GAAAAACK" *THUD!!* "Ahhhhhhhhh that was wonderful!! Goodbye and enjoy the Clearing you stupid fucking bitch!"

Daghain
08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
:rofl:

Yeah, I'd have liked to have seen that, too.

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But sadly our dear Susan would have never been able to do such a thing. :lol:

Anyway I think Cordelia and Thorin would have been a beautiful couple. Huh?

Daghain
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Letti, I love you, but the thought of ANYONE having to sleep with Thorin makes my stomach turn. :lol:

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
You are right and you know, that's why I loved and respected his wife so much. *sigh*

Daghain
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I just felt sorry for her. She must have had some serious low self-esteem to marry that guy. Or it was an arranged marriage.

I think maybe a bit of both.

Letti
08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Maybe I misunderstood her (or my memory betrays me again as usual) but as we could peek into her heart it seemed that Thorin has changed a lot and she loved that old man who got lost in the dark somewhere between Jones and nice tits...
Don't you remember?
She thinks something like that after that socuh hurting party in her room alone: "Some years ago he would have got rid of such a man as Jones immediately and would have sent him west without a word."

MonteGss
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Okay, back on topic...Cordelia Delgado, yeah, what a dumb bitch. Can't stand her. I think it would have been great if Susan shot her through her blabbering mouth out the back of her neck. What a great scene.. "Hile Auntie, I have something special for you that my new boyfriend Will Dearborn gave me, you know the one I've been fucking thrice daily? Yeah that one...anyway here is what I wanted to show you...**BAM** **teeth flying** "GAAAAACK" *THUD!!* "Ahhhhhhhhh that was wonderful!! Goodbye and enjoy the Clearing you stupid fucking bitch!"

VERY well said. :lol:

Harrald
09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I have to add another vote for Mayor Thorin. He was a complete pervert!!

jayson
12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Aside from the already-mentioned Cordelia Delgado, I would have to cast my vote for Slightman the Elder. Roland is a better man than me for not sending him to the clearing. Anyone so willing to send the children of others off to be tortured is deserving of a bullet in the face.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, Slightman Sr. - what a jerk.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Oy...

jayson
12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Oy...

Please tell me you are joking. How can anyone not love Oy?

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Stef, why is Oy your least favorite?

Letti
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe he is just his least favourite.
From the ka-tet Oy is my least favourite, too however I do love him.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
David, why is Oy your least favorite?
Cos of him my favourite character died :shoot:....

jayson
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd say from the Tet Oy is possibly my most favorite, but then again I tend to like animals more than people.:orely:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Mordred is your favorite character? Then I feel your pain sister!

jayson
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Maybe not Mordred, maybe the Grandfathers. lol:excited:

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Maybe not Mordred, maybe the Grandfathers. lol:excited:
Yes Mordred! Damn that giant half dog rodent! And im not stef! :panic:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
You are if I say you are, got that?

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
:borg: Erm yes i am stef.... *crickets..*

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
;)

SON-OF-WAYNE
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Enrico Balazar, He's just a scumbag that hides behind his henchmen. I had a big smile on my face when he was killed in "Drawing of the Three."

Ruthful
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
As someone else mentioned, Andy the Robot.

1. Because no matter how hard I tried-and contrary to both the illustration and the physical description of him in the text-I couldn't stop picturing him as Marvin, the Paranoid Android.

2. The whole subplot surrounding his involvement is rather strained and unbelievable.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I cant really see why people hate andy, he was programmed to do that stuff his programmers are evil he is not... i seem to remeber a thread on .net about if machines could be evil etc

Letti
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I think it's not hard to hate robots or machines. Sometimes I could jump on my mobile phones for minutes however it didn't say or do anything bad to me.
Just imagine what people can feel about a speaking robot that behaves like a human being.
So - for me - these negative feelings are understandable.

Erin
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I didn't like Cordelia of course, the dumb bitch.

Also, when I recently listened to The Drawing of the Three on audiobook, I was reminded how much I didn't like Henry Dean for bringing Eddie down.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I think it's not hard to hate robots or machines. Sometimes I could jump on my mobile phones for minutes however it didn't say or do anything bad to me.
Just imagine what people can feel about a speaking robot that behaves like a human being.
So - for me - these negative feelings are understandable.
Well you would say that since it was your thread on .net :lol:

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Mordred. I know, big surprise, huh? Still, in terms of both piss-poor writing AND being the most hated, Mordred takes the cake. At least Cordelia and Rhea were interesting to read about.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
There are plenty of folk here who were not .Net members so wouldn't know your long deep love affair with Mordred.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
There are plenty of folk here who were not .Net members so wouldn't know your long deep love affair with Mordred.
Yeah i agree...wait who we talking about...*fundles with his dagger..*

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 03:40 PM

For Valentine's day I gave His Royal Pooping Highness some laxatives. ><

:excited:

I actually wrote an ode to Mordred in the parodies thread...:evil:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
For Valentine's day I gave His Royal Pooping Highness some laxatives. ><

:excited:

I actually wrote an ode to Mordred in the parodies thread...:evil:

Over on .Net? 'Cause theres one on here also..

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I thought Mordred's part of the story was very well written. I felt more for Mordred than I ever did Rhea or Cordelia, both of whom I just kept hoping Roland would shoot in the face. Mordred was more three-dimensional, and the scenes of him watching the tet are among my favorites in DT-7.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm a big fan of Mordred also. :cool:

MonteGss
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Rhea or Cordelia, both of whom I just kept hoping Roland would shoot in the face

That is exactly how I felt about those two. :) :cool:

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm also a big fan of any King Arthur/Holy Grail stuff, so as soon as King named the Chap Mordred I knew I'd be interested [and could render a guess as to his ultimate goal].:shoot:

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
R_of_G needs to go and look at my HIGHLY descriptive post about what should happen to Cordelia.

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Though I was glad Cordelia had an end, I still wish it had come under Roland's guns. She and Slightman Sr, will always be my most despised, and yet Roland didn't get to whack either of them!

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
R_of_G needs to go and look at my HIGHLY descriptive post about what should happen to Cordelia.

Oh, I've read it, and it sounds perfect. Perhaps the comic staff could do an alternate ending with your version.

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Its on this board.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Its on this board.

Sounds good, I'll go check it out.

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I thought Mordred's part of the story was very well written.

Not by King's standards, it wasn't. King has been able to do much, much better. Look at Jack Torrance. That's a 'tragic villain' done right. Then compare Mordred. The spider just doesn't match up.

I felt more for Mordred than I ever did Rhea or Cordelia, both of whom I just kept hoping Roland would shoot in the face.

Oh, I don't doubt that King wanted the reader to feel more for Mordred than he did for Cordelia and Rhea, both of whom King wanted the reader to hate. He didn't WANT you to feel sympathy for Rhea and Cordelia, because both were horrific people. And in your case, he clearly succeeded on all accounts. But that doesn't make Mordred a better written character. :nope:

With Rhea, King didn't have to tell you to hate her because he made her such a nasty character you just did. With Mordred, King broke the fourth wall to say "Let us pity Mordred." Which, after seeing the little brat kill his own mother, a baby billy-bumbler and my favorite character, pity was the farthest thing on my mind. It takes a talented writer to make you feel sympathy for a villain whose done horrific acts (just look at George R.R. Martin) and in Mordred's case, King is just not it.

The whole notion of having the new villain knock off the old one to gain credibility has been done numerous times in bad tv shows and comics...but King has the honor of doing it in the first actual adult novel that I've read.

It was so transparently OBVIOUS what King was trying to do with Mordred and he fell flat on his face.

Mordred was more three-dimensional, and the scenes of him watching the tet are among my favorites in DT-7.

Well obviously if King goes out of his way to have scenes of Mordred boohooing and saying "I love/hate my daddy...I'm so lonely...boo hoo" then yes, he's three dimensional. But it was an artificial three dimensionality, if ya kennit.

With the other ka-tet members, they slowly progressed over the books becoming increasingly more complex. Roland and Eddie, for example, are very different than when they first appeared. We didn't have to have King go "Pity poor Eddie, its not his fault he's a junkie, he had a poor upbringing with his brother". We knew it through Eddie's actions and thoughts. With Mordred, King just hoisted this completely new character in such a major role to the series, taking over Flagg's role as the main antagonist, attempted to hoist all this sentimental bullshit on us with the character and failed miserably.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm a big fan of Mordred also. :cool:
:dance: :dance: :dance:

All Right! Mordred Cheerleading Club!

Which, after seeing the little brat kill his own mother, a baby billy-bumbler and my favorite character,

I loved Mordred for doing this! Die Oy Die >_>

Ruthful
12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I cant really see why people hate andy, he was programmed to do that stuff his programmers are evil he is not... i seem to remeber a thread on .net about if machines could be evil etc

I didn't have a problem with the fact that he committed heinous acts. I just wasn't drawn into that whole subplot involving the disused technology appropriated by The Crimson King's minions, which Andy was integral to. Defeating antiquated technology just doesn't seem too gripping when you compare it to the challenges Roland & Co. face throughout the series.

I also don't see why so many people cut into Mordred. He gave us two of the best scenes in final, eponymous volume of TDT.

Jean
12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
and I liked the whole Andy line. It brings about an interesting question of whether the concept of betrayal is applicable to robots; not that the question itself is interesting, but the way it is developed there, pied piper and all.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
[quote=sai blaine;75502] I just wasn't drawn into that whole subplot involving the disused technology appropriated by The Crimson King's minions, which Andy was integral to. Defeating antiquated technology just doesn't seem too gripping when you compare it to the challenges Roland & Co. face throughout the series.

Like Blaine..that kind of "antiquated technology"?

CyberGhostface
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM

And on the contrary, I loved Oy (well, I already did beforehand) for doing what he did to Mordred. The scene with Oy chewing down on his arm while Mordred squeals is pure bliss.

I honestly don't know how one could like Mordred better than Oy. One is a selfless, loving friend who's willing to sacrifice himself for those he loves, the other is an whiny arrogant little bitch who thinks only of himself.

I also don't see why so many people cut into Mordred. He gave us two of the best scenes in final, eponymous volume of TDT.

One of those two best scenes utterly ruined the seventh book for me (and therefore, the series) and I don't know what the other best scene is. And even if he didn't do what he did, he'd still be a shit character forced onto the reader.

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 10:22 AM

And on the contrary, I loved Oy (well, I already did beforehand) for doing what he did to Mordred. The scene with Oy chewing down on his arm while Mordred squeals is pure bliss.

I honestly don't know how one could like Mordred better than Oy. One is a selfless, loving friend who's willing to sacrifice himself for those he loves, the other is an whiny arrogant little bitch who thinks only of himself.

One of those two best scenes utterly ruined the seventh book for me (and therefore, the series) and I don't know what the other best scene is. And even if he didn't do what he did, he'd still be a shit character forced onto the reader.

Let me guess....oy is the an whiny arrogant little bitch who thinks only of himself?

Two best scenes = Oys blissful death and :beat: i forgot his name.... <_< the man in black...

CyberGhostface
12-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I guess Oy is a whiny arrogant bitch and Mordred is a selfless hero in some pocket universe where Bill Cosby wrote the Dark Tower series and Fat Albert is the Gunslinger...because it wasn't in any book that I read, thats for sure.

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I guess Oy is a whiny arrogant bitch and Mordred is a selfless hero in some pocket universe where Bill Cosby wrote the Dark Tower series and Fat Albert is the Gunslinger...because it wasn't in any book that I read, thats for sure.
:couple: I'm sorry but it would seem you have crossed worlds.. i can help you back, but to do this you must help our hero CK destroy the white tyrant

CyberGhostface
12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
:orely:

Yeah, I'm offically lost now.

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
:orely:

Yeah, I'm offically lost now.
Im not surprised.. poor guy, there are others worlds then this

CyberGhostface
12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
...and this little dodging of the topic is supposed to convince me of the validity of your argument, how?

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
...and this little dodging of the topic is supposed to convince me of the validity of your argument, how?
Huh? no no no not argument, nothing but my opinion against yours, neither right nor wrong

Darkthoughts
12-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Bump!

(Don't forget, you can bitch about Greta Shaw in her very own thread :lol: )

Nightfall
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Either Mordred, Aunt Cord, or Bango Skank on my end.

The whole "Mordred be'a hongry" or however he put it just got a little.. annoying after a while

Wuducynn.. I love you for your description of how Susan should have ended Aunt Cord

And I kind of wished.. in some humorous way.. King would've made Eddie and Bango Skank meet.. like, in a flash back of chilling with Henry and his friends.

Since I've only read the entire series once, and I didn't really look deep into everything, my opinion isn't going to be as "logical" as everyones. My opinion will likely change as I read the connections and eventually get around to a "deep" reread of the series.

Letti
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
And what's your problem with Bango Skank? He didn't play much.

Jon
02-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Mordred...so bad!

Melike
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Mordred! I never like him.
First he is half spider. Second he ate my dear Flagg.http://militarysos.com/forum/images/smilies/gaah.gif Third he is the prisoner of his nature.<_<

Jon
02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I love Flagg too!

The dude took over Las Vegas for God's sake... how cool is that??

And the "good" people took over L.A. Noooo S.F.? nooo. Not even Denver!... Boulder!!

That's like saying "I'm going to take over Muncie, In!"...Who will know? Who will care?

Letti
02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
First he is half spider. Second he ate my dear Flagg.http://militarysos.com/forum/images/smilies/gaah.gif Third he is the prisoner of his nature.<_<

These things make me like him a lot. ;)

Melike
02-24-2009, 01:38 AM
I love Flagg too!

The dude took over Las Vegas for God's sake... how cool is that??

And the "good" people took over L.A. Noooo S.F.? nooo. Not even Denver!... Boulder!!

That's like saying "I'm going to take over Muncie, In!"...Who will know? Who will care?

:wtf:You are so right!
That's why I always like bad ones... :D

Yeah, I know, I've just read your answer for this thread...http://militarysos.com/forum/images/smilies/swoon.gif

Bumbler19
02-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Jake's little friend that he met in the Callas, he ticked me off, he ruined Jake for me, he ruined Jake as a Gunslinger, his relationship with Roland, I didn't even care that the kid died... I don't even remember his name, that is how much i didn't like him.

Nightfall
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Thats the problem, he never really appeared except for a few tags of "Bango Skank was here." I wanted to see a flashback of like, Eddie Henry and BS getting baked to all hell back in his days of a junkie :(

candy
02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
see i quite liked mordred, i felt he was misunderstood and felt really sorry for him, i agree with the not liking susan - but i think its more to do with the fact i did not want to go back in time, but wanted to stay with the current tet.

the one i really did not like was henry - wanted to punch him sometimes

Letti
03-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Thats the problem, he never really appeared except for a few tags of "Bango Skank was here." I wanted to see a flashback of like, Eddie Henry and BS getting baked to all hell back in his days of a junkie :(

interesting view

Jaztastic
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I thought Mordred was soo pointless.
He wasn't even needed to kill Flagg, it would have been cooler if Roland did it.

Ruthful
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM

I absolutely love Modred.

Out of the characters introduced in the final book-even if this one was foreshadowed in the second book-the only one I liked more than Mordred is Dandelo.

Chap
03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I like Mordred as well *points to nick*
the only thing about his story I didn't like was how easily he killed Flagg, I really wanted a epic confrontation between Flagg and Roland

Two characters I didn't like: Susan (not credible) and TCK, the latter mostly because he was hyped up to be worse than the previous main enemy, Flagg, yet died in a incredibly anti-climactic manner.

also, when reading the books I didn't like Gasher, but when listening to it in audio-book I LOVED him. King did that particular voice exceptionally well :)

Letti
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I thought Mordred was soo pointless.
He wasn't even needed to kill Flagg, it would have been cooler if Roland did it.

Don't forget that he was hongry. ;)

Ruthful
03-08-2009, 01:01 AM
I thought that was the single best "death" scene in The Dark Tower. At least, in terms of an actual battle that killed one of the major characters.

I've never listened to the audio versions of these books, but I could imagine liking the voice of Gasher. He is definitely one of the more memorable characters in a creepy, old world, pederast warped even more by a super-nuclear holocaust/civil war sort of way. Not so much a willing accomplice of The Crimson King, as someone whose nature is simply evil.

Some of the creatures/characters who are not involved in the battle between the white and the Crimson King, but are independent actors, are more interesting, IMO, than ones who have clearly defined roles.

Melike
03-08-2009, 03:10 AM

I absolutely love Modred.

Out of the characters introduced in the final book-even if this one was foreshadowed in the second book-the only one I liked more than Mordred is Dandelo.

Dandelo is really an awesome character to me. :couple:
*And, I would never compare him to Mordred. :D *

Ruthful
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Odd Lane is one of my favorite chapters in the final part of The Dark Tower. I really wish King would write some prequels to TDT-don't mistake me, I don't want to read any more rewrites of the original books, or elaborations on what happened-just so we could explore some of the more interesting characters like Joe Collins, Sayre, the ringleaders of Devar-Toi, and what they did before they became involved in this saga.

jayson
03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
...we could explore some of the more interesting characters like Joe Collins, Sayre, the ringleaders of Devar-Toi, and what they did before they became involved in this saga.

Just as long as we never have to read another word of Joe Collins' exceptionally hacky stand-up routine. :P

Ruthful
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Dude, you know you were slapping your knees until he revealed himself for what he was.

:P

jayson
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Melike
03-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Odd Lane is one of my favorite chapters in the final part of The Dark Tower. I really wish King would write some prequels to TDT-don't mistake me, I don't want to read any more rewrites of the original books, or elaborations on what happened-just so we could explore some of the more interesting characters like Joe Collins, Sayre, the ringleaders of Devar-Toi, and what they did before they became involved in this saga.

It is my second favorite part of DT7, first one is the part of Rando Thoughtful. I wish the same things. There are such interesting charecters that they could even have a book telling their own stories.

Ruthful
03-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah, there are so many parts of that book that you could expand into a stand-alone novel. Or at the very least, a few spectacular short stories or novellas. For example, Devar-Toi. The whole concept of a parallel world where people are enslaved, not so much by the things keeping them their by force, but by their own emotional and mental incapacities.

This is probably a completely different thread, but I that raises another interesting question. Namely, if you had the opportunity to be a breaker, would you accept it?

Melike
03-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Yeah, there are so many parts of that book that you could expand into a stand-alone novel. Or at the very least, a few spectacular short stories or novellas. For example, Devar-Toi. The whole concept of a parallel world where people are enslaved, not so much by the things keeping them their by force, but by their own emotional and mental incapacities.
Exactly...

This is probably a completely different thread, but I that raises another interesting question. Namely, if you had the opportunity to be a breaker, would you accept it?
It would be a great thread...
And this is a very hard question...
I don't see being a breaker as an opportunity. To me, it's just like being a slave, a numb. So I wouldn't accept it.
I remember the breakers feeling satisfied using their powers. A talent wants/likes to show/express itself says King.
But the reason you use your abilities are much more important than using them.

Brice
03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
A short story collection of DT related stories would be AMAZINGLY cool.

jayson
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd certainly prefer it to another novel, or Gan forbid, another revised version of an existing novel.

Brice
03-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorry, Jayson but King's next project is revising the revised Gunslinger.

jayson
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
He could revise it back to the way it was, that'd be fine with me. :evil:

Brice
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
:thumbsup: Yes, he'll just realize it was all the pain pills from after the accident that made him thi nk it was a good idea. Hey, maybe there'll be 19 revisions. :rofl: