PDA

View Full Version : Great Cinematic Moments

Pages : [1] 2

Heather19
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
After some talk in another thread, I got to thinking about what it is that draws me into some films. And I started thinking about those great scenes that while you're watching them you're just left breathless because they're so great.
So what are some of your favorite shots from films. Those that mesmerized you, those that pulled out emotions you never knew you had, or those that made you laugh harder than you ever knew you could.

I have so many but I'll start off with these few. This will come as no surprise to most of you but I absolutely love the opening to Citizen Kane. I just find it to be a truly beautiful piece of art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0b_XeRkG4

or how about that opening scene to Touch of Evil. There's so much action going on, and it's all done in 1 single shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8MqjoFvy4

turtlex
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Great idea!

The first thing that comes to mind is the "As God Is My Witness" scene in Gone With The Wind. It's beautifully shot and wonderfully acted. A real "moment".

And two on movie's we've talked about elsewhere :

There's nothing like the scene in Captain Blood when Errol Flynn leaps out onto the huge sail and using his knife - slides down the sail!

Cinematically, the big final sword fight between Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham in The Adventure's of Robin Hood is beautiful to watch and just a great example of a swashbuckler!

Heather19
01-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Great picks. I'm really looking forward to watching those now.

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Heather, do you have classic movies in mind only, or are more contemporary films okay to comment about?

Heather19
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Go ahead and post about any that you like. I'm curious to see what you've got in mind.

William50
01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
The end of Saving private Ryan when Tom Hanks character dies and all of the planes are blowin shit up. yesssssssss

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
The most iconic image for me in Saving Private Ryan is when it shows the sunset over the french landscape as the soldiers cross the hill conversing.

Cool Heather, I'm going to think of it a little more and look forward to sharing them with you later. I will say that Slumdog had several images that standout regarding children and slums but it would be difficult to talk about them without spoiling anything and I know that you guys haven't seen it yet.

William50
01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I think this is going to be a very popular and successful thread.

Sam
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
The final scene of Sanjuro is stunning, shocking, and almost poetic.

The opening of Yojimbo sets the scene for the entire film. As the hero of the film walks into a town, a dog trots by with a hand held in its teeth.

sarah
01-01-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se8TM696HRY

fernandito
01-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Can it be images as well, or does it have to be videos?

jayson
01-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I would think if one still shot works to show the memory of the full scene, it's that much more iconic an image.

You know, something like this..

http://midnightcafe.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/reservoir-dogs.jpg

Let's see what you've got in mind...

Heather19
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
:thumbsup: That's a great one Jayson!

turtlex
01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
One of my all time favorites is from Star Wars...

... the moment Han Solo comes back as Luke is making his run down the corridor in his X-Wing... and then of course, him taking that shot and pulling up and away and the Death Star blowing up!

Classic !

jayson
01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/marselluswallace.jpg

"Boxer's don't have an old timer's day." - Marsellus Wallace

Heather19
01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
There's so many good Tarentino one's.
One of my favorites from Kill Bill is the scene in which Beatrix Kiddo fights the crazy 88. One of things I love about that scene is how at just the right moment he changes it from color to black and white. I understand he did it for the most part so he could avoid an NC17 rating, but I think it's really effective.

turtlex
01-02-2009, 06:49 AM
How about that last scene in the original Planet of the Apes? Very cool.

http://bristol.indymedia.org/attachments/jan2006/300px-Statue_of_liberty_in_planet_of_the_apes.jpg

jayson
01-02-2009, 06:57 AM
One of my favorites from Kill Bill is the scene in which Beatrix Kiddo fights the crazy 88. One of things I love about that scene is how at just the right moment he changes it from color to black and white. I understand he did it for the most part so he could avoid an NC17 rating, but I think it's really effective.

Nice. It's my understanding that the Japanese release stayed in color for that scene and I would love to see it play that way too just to see the contrast, but I remember seeing it the first time and went it went black & white, I thought "well that was cool". I also really like the back and red screens he used for some of the shots with Beatrix and Pai Mei in Volume 2.

How about that last scene in the original Planet of the Apes? Very cool.

http://bristol.indymedia.org/attachments/jan2006/300px-Statue_of_liberty_in_planet_of_the_apes.jpg

Yeah. That's the definition of iconic image, parodied so many times. Best ever by The Simpsons with Troy McLure in Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off, the musical Planet of the Apes.

"Oh my gosh, I was wrong
It was Earth, all along..."

Heather19
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Nice. It's my understanding that the Japanese release stayed in color for that scene and I would love to see it play that way too just to see the contrast, but I remember seeing it the first time and went it went black & white, I thought "well that was cool". I also really like the back and red screens he used for some of the shots with Beatrix and Pai Mei in Volume 2.

Check youtube, they've got the color version up there. I have to say I much prefer it in black & white.
I also love how near the end of the scene right when he brings it back into color, someone shuts the lights off, and everything turns blue, and you just see them fighting in silhouette.
One of the other things that I think Tarantino excels in, is his use of music. He always seems to come up with the right songs at the right moment. Halfway thru the battle he starts playing upbeat music, which you probably wouldn't normally think of putting into that scene, but it works really well.

jayson
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
One of the other things that I think Tarentino excels in, is his use of music. He always seems to come up with the right songs at the right moment. Halfway thru the battle he starts playing upbeat music, which you probably wouldn't normally think of putting into that scene, but it works really well.

Absolutely. What I liked most about the sudden switch in music in that sequence is that it shifted to that particular song, the Human Beinz cover of Nobody But Me which is a garage rock staple. It worked great to take the unfolding fight scene to it's next level. QT places music perfectly.

Brice
01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks! I'd never seen the full color version before.

Heather19
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
"You're Tearing Me Apart"
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii117/heather10119/Misc/youretearing2.jpg

or how about that famous chicken run scene

fernandito
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070118/clockwork_l.jpg

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
There's a scene in The Crow where Brandon Lee is walking down the street and these trick or treatres run past him shining their flash lights on him. He smiles and they freeze frame and this always makes me smile but sadly due to his tragic death.

In Edward Scissorhands when Kim asks Edward to hold him and he says he can't. He walks to the window and she goes to him and wraps his arms around her.

Also in Edward Scissorhands at the end of the film when Kim kisses him and says she loves him and Edward closes his eyes.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark when they are digging on the top of the Well of Souls and the sun is setting and the sky is orange and you see them digging and Indy putting his hat on.

Heather19
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I :wub: Edward Scissorhands

One of my favorite scenes is the one where Vincent Price is walking along watching the cookies being made and at the end he picks up the heart cookie and comes up with the idea to create Edward.

fernandito
01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
That's my favorite scene too Heather :wub:

That one, and "Go ahead! Laugh! It's funny!"

Heather19
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
That's my favorite scene too Heather :wub:

That one, and "Go ahead! Laugh! It's funny!"

Yes, I love that part as well! Vincent Price was wonderful in that film.

Merlin1958
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
The scene in "Pulp Fiction" when Bruce and Ving have gotten free. Bruce: You alright?

Ving: Nah, I'm pretty F&*king far from alright!!!!

lol

But I have to admit. At the end of "Saving Pvt Ryan" when he asks his wife if he is a "good man" always, always tears me up.

The Cosmic Geek
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I :wub: Edward Scissorhands

One of my favorite scenes is the one where Vincent Price is walking along watching the cookies being made and at the end he picks up the heart cookie and comes up with the idea to create Edward.

Ah, any fan of any Tim Burton movie is a friend of mine.

Price was beautiful in that movie. When he reads the poetry to Edward, when he gives him the hands.

The part where Edward says his father didn't wake up breaks my heart every time.

I think we all have felt like Edward one time or another.

turtlex
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
A contemporary classic moment for me ..

In Almost Famous.... when the whole cast is in the bus and they start singing "Tiny Dancer".

Patrick Fugit : I have to go home.

Kate Hudson : You are home.

Love that scene.

Jon
01-21-2009, 01:11 AM
You all know I am a gearhead so I pick "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. A classic car chase.

(yep, I'm a guy.)

Melike
01-21-2009, 05:57 AM
The scene a man is cleaning the street with a besom, moving like the hands of a clock at the beginning of the Corpse Bride.

Heather19
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
That's a great one. Burton's films have so many beautiful scenes or shots.

The Cosmic Geek
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd even say every Burton film has a beautiful scene in it, sometimes more than one. Love that guy.

Emily
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
YouTube - The Keyser Soze Reveal

I don't think I really started loving films until I saw this scene

Heather19
01-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm gonna go old school again, but how about that final scene in The Lady from Shanghai in the funhouse of mirrors. Classic Welles.

Melike
01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
The scene of Clock People in Mirror Mask.
Appearance of Pan's Labyrinth's Pale Man.
All scenes of Dali's Destino. Especially; the shadow of the bell becoming the ballerina's skirt.
Transitions between the scenes of the movie Fountain. (Izzy's hair on her neck and the hair on the body of the tree.)

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
This is an awesome scene from Donnie Darko. Its executed very well, in that it basically introduces every character in a way that displays them almost dickensian. My brain hurts when I think of the planning that must have been involved... I also love the Tears for Fears song, and just seems perfect for the aesthetic of the scene as well as the movie at large which is set in the late 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJPa0bvWnM

Empath of the White
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Elizabeth Swan's speech and the "Hoist the Colours" scene from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End gives me chills every time.

Jack's lament from The Nightmare Before Christmas is very touching too.

Sam
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
The scene where Darth Vader's helmet is put on for the first time and he takes his first mechanical breath in ROTS. Priceless and beautiful in its lighting, sound, and quiet John Williams music. I still get chills.

Melike
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Opening scene of Trainspotting. Also a very good quote.

Sam
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
How about the toilet scene!:panic::onfire::panic::onfire::panic:
"The dirtiest toilet in Scotland":onfire:

Melike
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
:lol:

Heather19
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Opening scene of Trainspotting. Also a very good quote.

I love that one, and then add to it the ending quote and it's perfect.

fernandito
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
My favorite scene from Trainspotting is when he does that frontflip/sommersault off the wall and lands back in back in the apartment. :clap:

Girlystevedave
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
No matter how many times I watch Lord of the Rings, I always get chills after Gandalf falls into the abyss. It's the way the scene slows down and the music seems to perfectly fit the scene. It's just so sad. :cry:

Also, I love part in Pleasantville when color first appears in their world in the form of the red rose. So beautiful.

Melike
01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
My favorite scene from Trainspotting is when he does that frontflip/sommersault off the wall and lands back in back in the apartment. :clap:
:thumbsup: Yeah! That is a brilliant scene, too.

Cashback, the final scene: ( Not awesome but I still like this. )
YouTube - Cashback - The Final Scene

jayson
01-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Here's one of many many scenes from Citizen Kane that the Simpsons have visually duplicated (think Sideshow Bob running for Mayor of Springfield)...

YouTube - Citizen Kane - Speech

Heather19
01-28-2009, 06:38 AM
:thumbsup: Good one Jayson. You can't go wrong with Citizen Kane.

fernandito
01-28-2009, 06:49 AM
:D

YouTube - The Dark Knight Chase Scene

Melike
01-28-2009, 06:59 AM
:rock:
YouTube - The Dark Knight - The Joker New Trailer - Heath Ledger

fernandito
01-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Ahhh, a woman after my own heart! :wub:

I'm looking for a clip of the interrogation room scene, but the only one I found was of horrible quality :/ I'm wondering if I should post it anyway.

Empath of the White
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
That car chase is one I could watch over and over. Flipping the diesel was an awesome stunt.

Heather19
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Ahhh, a woman after my own heart! :wub:

I'm looking for a clip of the interrogation room scene, but the only one I found was of horrible quality :/ I'm wondering if I should post it anyway.

Go ahead and post it!
I was actually thinking of that scene when I saw you had posted the car chase one. And was going to go look for it, but got too lazy.

Heather19
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
My favorite scene from Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGWuWt8wfY&feature=related

Emily
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
GREAT scene Heather

Merlin1958
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Michael Kissing Fredo in Cuba "I know it was you, you broke my heart". Godfather II

Also the scene when they get the fish in the original. "Its a Sicilian message, it means Luca Brazi sleeps with the fishes".

Classic

jayson
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Indeed it is a good one Heather. Another from the same film. I once thought the montage was dead, but Guy seems to do it quite well...

YouTube - Drinking Scene from Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Heather19
01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice one Jayson. I love that scene as well. Ritchie most certainly is great at those types of scenes, and that's one of the things that I love about his films.

Merlin1958
01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Nice one Jayson. I love that scene as well. Ritchie most certainly is great at those types of scenes, and that's one of the things that I love about his films.

Ok, how about the description of "Pigs" scene from "Snatch"? You're right Ritchie is the British Tarantino IMHO.

"nah, man I'm pretty fucking far from alright" Marsellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction

fernandito
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
That car chase is one I could watch over and over

Me too! I get a nerdgasm hearing the bat pod mowing it's way through the subway station :lol:

Go ahead and post it!
I was actually thinking of that scene when I saw you had posted the car chase one. And was going to go look for it, but got too lazy.

You convinced me! I'll post it later today :D

Heather19
01-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Feev!

Ok, how about the description of "Pigs" scene from "Snatch"? You're right Ritchie is the British Tarantino IMHO.

"nah, man I'm pretty fucking far from alright" Marsellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction

Yes they are rather reminiscent of each other.

And one last one from Snatch, the opening sequence, where he introduces you to all of the characters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xNqj7S54E

Melike
01-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Argument scene of Pitt and Malkovich, in the car:
YouTube - Burn After Reading Trailer
Burn After Reading is really great movie.

Paris Je T'aime; Coen Brothers' part, with Steve Buscemi:
YouTube - Paris, Je T'aime

fernandito
01-29-2009, 05:48 AM
One of the most iconic scenes E-VAR! :D

YouTube - The Joker Interrogation(The Dark Knight)

Melike
01-29-2009, 06:10 AM
Joker!:wub:

Gwai-wik is beautifully disturbing, romantically scary. Nearly, all the scenes are excitingly odd:
YouTube - Gwai-wik (aka Re-cycle)

Heather19
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
That looks very interesting Melike. I think I'm going to have to check that film out.

And Feev, I love that scene!

jayson
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I like scenes so iconic that a single still image suffices. Like this one...

http://pullquote.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/high_school_girls.jpg

"That's what I love about these high school girls. I get older, they stay the same age." - Wooderson

obscurejude
01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Its been too long, Jayson. Too long. :cool:

Melike
01-30-2009, 02:09 AM
That looks very interesting Melike. I think I'm going to have to check that film out.

And Feev, I love that scene!

*waiting for your comments about it*

Heather19
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll definitely let you what I think when I see it. :)

The Cosmic Geek
01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Joker!:wub:

Gwai-wik is beautifully disturbing, romantically scary. Nearly, all the scenes are excitingly odd:
YouTube - Gwai-wik (aka Re-cycle) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdX93j20h0)

Whoa! Now this looks very interesting.

Heather19
02-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a thing for the opening scenes of films.
And here is one from Kill Bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5EYd5_i6M

jayson
02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
It's a great open Heather. It tells so much of the story in a few seconds, but leaves so much more out there to still be discovered as the movie plays out. Also, Uma does terrified perfectly.

Heather19
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
And that's exactly what I love about it. Also the point of view of the camera is very interesting, and it only works because Uma's able to pull it off. I also like how we don't initially see Bill right away, only hear him talking to her.

Heather19
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, I've been searching for a video of this but can't seem to find one.
But the opening scene of 28 Days Later, where Cillian is walking through the empty streets of London, has got to be one of my all time favorite movie moments. It's just perfect.

fernandito
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Good choice! :thumbsup:

Now answer my question in the movie trivia thread! :cyclops:

Sam
02-16-2009, 11:29 AM
The fight scene between O-Ren and The Bride in Kill Bill Vol. 1 is one of my favorite from both films. It is classic, beautifully filmed, and simply gorgeous to watch.

jayson
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Indeed Sam. The whole Showdown at House of Blue Leaves sequence is so perfectly done with the O-Ren/Beatrix fight as the icing on the cake.

Heather19
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Good one Sam. I pretty much love anything Tarantino does, but I think I actually prefer her fight with the Crazy 88's and Gogo over the one with O-Ren.

jayson
02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
My favorite part of the whole thing is the all-too-brief fight with Johnny Mo, but a lot of that is because I love Gordon Liu.

Sam
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I like the artistry and the callback to the Samurai ideal of the duel in that scene. A real duel was not a long, protracted sword fight when skilled swordsmen were involved. It was quick and consisted of a very few moments once the swords were drawn, but could last for a very long time, even an hour or more, before the swords were drawn, each swordsman trying to outwit or psyche out their opponent before the duel began. Pure artistry that was captured in that moment between the two women. Watch it again and appreciate it for what it was.

Girlystevedave
02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
The fight scene between O-Ren and The Bride in Kill Bill Vol. 1 is one of my favorite from both films. It is classic, beautifully filmed, and simply gorgeous to watch.

I agree. I love that scene. :)

jayson
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I like the artistry and the callback to the Samurai ideal of the duel in that scene. A real duel was not a long, protracted sword fight when skilled swordsmen were involved. It was quick and consisted of a very few moments once the swords were drawn, but could last for a very long time, even an hour or more, before the swords were drawn, each swordsman trying to outwit or psyche out their opponent before the duel began. Pure artistry that was captured in that moment between the two women. Watch it again and appreciate it for what it was.

It's not that I don't appreciate it, I do. I appreciate the hell out of pretty much every scene of "both" films. It's just that I appreciate the fight with Johnny Mo a bit more. It was also short and sweet, but it features one of my favorite martial arts actors. I suppose when it comes to fight scenes with Liu's I prefer Gordon to Lucy. :)

Melike
02-17-2009, 02:16 AM
ALMODOVAR - TALK TO HER - HABLE CON ELLA
I couldn't find the scene seperatedly, so I put the trailer here.
Almodovar's movies, all has great scenes. In this one I especially like the scenes Benigno is telling Alicia(in coma) the cult movies he had watched, every day.

Girlystevedave
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I know a lot of people didn't care for this movie, but oh well. I can never watch Signs without getting chills when Graham finally sees the connections between everything and says: "Merrill, swing away."

Merlin1958
03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
The scene in Pulp Fiction when Marsellus is freed by Willis and shoots the hillbilly.

Willis: You all right?

Wallace: Nah man, I'm pretty fucking far from alright. I'm about to call me some hard pipe hitting N*ggers to got to work on Mr. Hillbilly rapist here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You here me hillbilly? I'm about to get Medievil on your ass!!!

That and Micheal Corleone interviewing Carlo after hitting the heads of all the NY families
(There's alot more great scenes in that film but, that was a personal fave!)

Great scenes!!!

Heather19
03-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Well I can't seem to find the clip I was looking for so I settled on this one. From The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I know it's an old one, but I just love everything about this film. This isn't the original music to the film, but it does work pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHi-G3A8-Y&feature=related

Melike
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
The scene in Pulp Fiction when Marsellus is freed by Willis and shoots the hillbilly.

Willis: You all right?

Wallace: Nah man, I'm pretty fucking far from alright. I'm about to call me some hard pipe hitting N*ggers to got to work on Mr. Hillbilly rapist here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You here me hillbilly? I'm about to get Medievil on your ass!!!

That and Micheal Corleone interviewing Carlo after hitting the heads of all the NY families
(There's alot more great scenes in that film but, that was a personal fave!)

Great scenes!!!

Last night, I've seen Pulp Fiction on TV, and I couldn't resist to watch it again.
I realised that the dance scene is so wonderful, too!!!
Pulp Fiction Dance Scene - YouTube

Heather19
03-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I love that scene!

gromit
03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
While we're on Tarantino, I love the scene in Jackie Brown where Ordell (Samuel L Jackson's character) picks up Beaumont after bailing him out. He instructs him to get in the trunk with a shotgun, to scare some Koreans Ordell has never done business with before. Ordell gets in the driver's seat, and very slowly and calculatingly puts on his gloves and some tunes (I forget which song dammit) then driving about 30 feet before opening the trunk and POP POP!

That movie is full of great scenes, from the opening, to the very end. But That one sticks out in my mind for some reason.

gromit
03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgb5hIK_xwM

Merlin1958
03-20-2009, 05:21 AM
How about the "I'll handle them" scene in Matrix: Reloaded? Kung Fu to rival Kill Bill!!!!!

Also any scene that the Marovinchean (No idea on how to spell it lol) is in. "It's like wiping your ass with silk" lol lol

obscurejude
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
My favorite part of the whole thing is the all-too-brief fight with Johnny Mo, but a lot of that is because I love Gordon Liu.

I agree, but I'm glad we got to see more Gordon in the form of Pai Mei, though that was kind of brief as well.

I think my favorite scene in the Kill Bill volumes is in vol. 2 where the Bride tells Bill that he "looks ready" and then he dies after taking 5 steps. His movies aren't about violence but about the characters of violent people and I found the final chapter the most representative of this.

jayson
03-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I think my favorite scene in the Kill Bill volumes is in vol. 2 where the Bride tells Bill that he "looks ready" and then he dies after taking 5 steps. His movies aren't about violence but about the characters of violent people and I found the final chapter the most representative of this.

I agree Ryan. They are often violent characters who live in violent worlds, but QT tries to still make them appear as human beings.

Darkthoughts
03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I'm going right off on a non tarantino tangent to throw in Cinema Paradiso. One of my favourite moments in the all round excellence, is when the adult Toto watches the montage of screen kisses that Alfredo left for him :cry:

Heather19
03-22-2009, 03:19 PM
:thumbsup: excellent one!
It's been forever since I've seen that film.

jayson
03-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, no need to apologize for that one Lisa. Great film!

sarajean
03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
miller's crossing.

bernie on his knees, crying, begging for his life.

chills.

Woofer
03-23-2009, 07:54 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Geldof_wall.jpg/800px-Geldof_wall.jpg

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/thingchest.gif

http://ardfilmjournal.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/double-indemnity-1.jpg

Heather19
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I just rewatched The Triplets of Belleville last night and was reminded how wonderful of a film it is :rose:
Opening scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nYAoZkdSI

and another scene from the same film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtSjX33wUQ&feature=related

I was looking for your favorite scene Melike, but couldn't find it on youtube :(

Melike
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I just rewatched The Triplets of Belleville last night and was reminded how wonderful of a film it is :rose:
Opening scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nYAoZkdSI

and another scene from the same film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtSjX33wUQ&feature=related

I was looking for your favorite scene Melike, but couldn't find it on youtube :(

Heather!!!:huglove: This is a great movie. I love all the scenes of it.

''J'veux pas finir mes jours à Tombouctou...''

Empath of the White
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
The scene out of The Dark Knight where Bruce is sitting in Wayne Tower, cowl in hand and reflecting on his role as Batman after Rachel died. Very emotional and well done.

Seymour_Glass
05-30-2009, 09:00 AM
All of Taxi Driver.

Mattrick
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
The Wrestler: The scenes with Randy and his daughter, as well as the final sequence and his first shift at the Deli Counter.

cozener
06-09-2009, 05:44 AM
The Lighting of the Beacons of Amun Din in Return of the King.

Before anyone freaks…

I know it didn’t happen that way in the book.

One of the things that made this a “great cinematic moment” was precisely that…that it wasn’t in the book. It happens only very rarely but sometimes filmmakers do something in a movie based on a book that is actually an improvement. One of the things that I always liked about Tolkien is that he could make our race seem just as magical as elves and dwarves. The Beacons reinforce this by representing a triumph of human engineering. They also, and perhaps more importantly, represent a great desire among men to be able to call one another to their aid. Here we have all of these guys set to watch and light these Beacons JUST IN CASE one party needs the assistance of the other. All those long uncomfortable days, weeks, years, decades, of keeping watch all finally pays off in the end. In a very real sense the Beacons help to save humanity. The way the Beacons scene was done brought all of this home to me; the climactic music, the scenery. I wanted to cheer when I saw it…not just for Gondor and Rohan but for the individual guardsman who had spent his days faithfully watching the Beacons finally seeing his own labor and all who came before him coming to fruition...that it was all, in the end, worthwhile.

Mattrick
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
The Lighting of the Beacons of Amun Din in Return of the King.

Before anyone freaks…

I know it didn’t happen that way in the book.

One of the things that made this a “great cinematic moment” was precisely that…that it wasn’t in the book. It happens only very rarely but sometimes filmmakers do something in a movie based on a book that is actually an improvement. One of the things that I always liked about Tolkien is that he could make our race seem just as magical as elves and dwarves. The Beacons reinforce this by representing a triumph of human engineering. They also, and perhaps more importantly, represent a great desire among men to be able to call one another to their aid. Here we have all of these guys set to watch and light these Beacons JUST IN CASE one party needs the assistance of the other. All those long uncomfortable days, weeks, years, decades, of keeping watch all finally pays off in the end. In a very real sense the Beacons help to save humanity. The way the Beacons scene was done brought all of this home to me; the climactic music, the scenery. I wanted to cheer when I saw it…not just for Gondor and Rohan but for the individual guardsman who had spent his days faithfully watching the Beacons finally seeing his own labor and all who came before him coming to fruition...that it was all, in the end, worthwhile.

Seriously? That had to be about the worst sequence in the whole trilogy. Not only did it take like 5 minutes but it made no sense. The torches hadn't been lit for hundreds or thousands of years and people are just living on the top of some lifeless mountain (what are they living off) just for the slight chance they may have to light up a torch? Easily the lamest part of return of the king. Sorry, but I've always despised that scene.

jayson
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
If PJ had done a proper job of explaining the history of Gondor, the lighting of the beacons would have made sense. He never put anything in its proper perspective and that scene is just another example. It never ceases to amaze me how he took a trilogy with such deep deep backstory and made something so one dimensional out of it.

Unfound One
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Aside from all the book--> movie controversy, that scene is pretty breathtaking.

The gorgeous scenery combined with the score slowly building...
It's my favorite scene in ROTK, hands down.

I'm talking pure visual/audio experience, without the book/movie bullshit. ;)

Arthur Heath
06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
None scene beats the one in Armageddon when the oil drillers are all suited up in their space suits, walking shoulder to shoulder towards the camera, in slow motion, with the space ships behind them. Enter dramatic music and AH is in tears.:unsure:

Ok, you got me, Armageddon sucked ass.

fernandito
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Aside from all the book--> movie controversy, that scene is pretty breathtaking.

That is a badass scene :)

Lily-sai
06-09-2009, 11:51 AM

I have to agree - I of course am biased because I've been a fan of LotR forever and I know the lore backward and forward. That scene was truly breathtaking. And it was even more impressing when I visited one of those locations while in NZ. *sigh*

Unfound One
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
None scene beats the one in Armageddon when the oil drillers are all suited up in their space suits, walking shoulder to shoulder towards the camera, in slow motion, with the space ships behind them. Enter dramatic music and AH is in tears.:unsure:

Ok, you got me, Armageddon sucked ass.

:lol:

What about when they start singing (quite terribly, I might add) Leaving on a Jet Plane - did that have you in tears as well?

cozener
06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually Armageddon has one of my favorite lines in all of cinema.

"What are you doing with a gun in space?!"

And to hell with you people...the "salesman" thing did make me cry. :(

Unfound One
06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I actually really like Armageddon, despite the scientific impossibility of a majority of the film.

(And it really does make me cry.) :ninja:

Lily-sai
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
psssttt... it makes me cry, too. :ninja:

turtlex
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I actually really like Armageddon, despite the scientific impossibility of a majority of the film.

(And it really does make me cry.) :ninja:

Me, too. :ninja:

Arthur Heath
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Next you'll all be selling me on Ben Afflecks amazing acting skills.

Lily-sai
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh yes. I'm so disappointed he hasn't won any Oscars yet. Seriously.

Not. :lol:

turtlex
He was good in Good Will Hunting. And Hollywoodland.

Unfound One
Oh hell no.
I'm not, and never have been, an Affleck fan.

ETA: I will allow that he was alright in Good Will Hunting. But it might just be because I love the movie as a whole so much... I haven't seen Hollywoodland - should I?

turtlex
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Hollywoodland was pretty good. But he was excellent in it.

Heather19
06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, I'd definitely recommend Hollywoodland.

As for Affleck, I'm not overly enthusiastic about him as an actor. However I thought he did a wonderful job directing Gone Baby Gone, and would love to see him step behind the camera more.

turtlex
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Heather - I am with you 100% on Gone Baby Gone. I love that movie!

sullivan19
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, Daredevil was poo. Liked Changing Lanes though.

turtlex
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The DIRECTOR'S CUT of Daredevil is actually pretty good.

Heather19
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
How come no one's mentioned Chasing Amy? I liked him in that one.

turtlex
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I loved Chasing Amy!! But, mostly, just the script.

sullivan19
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
The DIRECTOR'S CUT of Daredevil is actually pretty good.

interesting, i'll give it a look.

jayson
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
How come no one's mentioned Chasing Amy? I liked him in that one.

I loved Chasing Amy!! But, mostly, just the script.

I'm with Pam on this one. The film was good in spite of Affleck. I thought the rest of the performances carried his along with them.

Heather19
06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Well you guys do have a point. I think he was outshined quite a bit by Jason Lee. However that is still probably my favorite film of his.

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I liked Ben Affleck in Chasing Amy. But not as much as I liked Jason Lee in Mallrats.

Yeah. I went there.

Mattrick
06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Guys, don't mean to interupt. But Ben Affleck and Great Cinematic Moments is basically an oxymoron.

Saving Private Ryan - When they first get on the beach. Classic.
Jurassic Park - The T-Rex breaking out.
Something About Mary - Ben Stiller zipping getting the franks above the beans.

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I totally told somebody today(semitruthfully) that the scene from Something about Mary is why I wear button-up jeans.

Seymour_Glass
06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmzaBvKzrZI

college_ewok
06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Jason Lee's greatest cinematic moment is undoubtedly Blind Skateboard's Video Days in the early 90's. Classic footage of Lee's professional skateboarding career combined with Mark Gonzalez' most famous part that featured his double kinked backside rail slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPMlIhWmAk

Heather19
06-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Excellent pick there Seymour :thumbsup:

fernandito
06-11-2009, 05:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmzaBvKzrZI

@ 0:29.

CLASSIC :lol:

Unfound One
06-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Trainspotting - brilliant!

I couldn't resist... Embedding's disabled so you'll have to click:

YouTube - Terminator 2 - Smile

Seymour_Glass
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik&feature=player_embedded

Seymour_Glass
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFzM37MXLE&feature=player_embedded

jayson
06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Did I mention this one already?

All right, all right, all right

fernandito
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Trainspotting - brilliant!

I couldn't resist... Embedding's disabled so you'll have to click:

YouTube - Terminator 2 - Smile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANUP5-aW4E)

"Eh, maybe you can practice in front of the mirror or somethin." BRILLIANT! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik&feature=player_embedded

I heart you for this, seriously :wub:

Heather19
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James.
Opening scene, although all of the photography in this film is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zmmjdN6Wg

and especially this scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvvnn68iB8

Seymour_Glass
06-14-2009, 06:47 AM
I always meant to see that, but I never did. I love Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

Seymour_Glass
06-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Guys, don't mean to interupt. But Ben Affleck and Great Cinematic Moments is basically an oxymoron.

I don't know. Gone Baby Gone was legit, and he directed that.

Seymour_Glass
07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Magnolia Opening

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 05:48 AM
This is My father and my son directed by Çağan Irmak.
In order to study journalism at Istanbul University, Sadık leaves his village on the Aegean coast. This angers his father, Hüseyin, who wants him to study Agricultural Engineering so he can manage the family farm. During his years at university Sadık becomes politically active. Upon learning about Sadik's behavior, Hüseyin disowns him.
However worse days are ahead for Sadik. In the early hours of the morning on September 12, 1980 Sadık's pregnant wife starts having contractions. The couple runs outside, but they can't find anyone to take them to the hospital. The country has been taken over in a military coup. Sadık's wife gives birth in a park and dies, but their son, Deniz, lives.
Because of his political activities, Sadık is arrested, tortured, and imprisoned for three years during which time he loses his health. A few years after being released, he finds out that he will die. Having no other choice, he takes Deniz back to his family farm on the Aegean into the care of his mother and his father, who still does not speak to him. For Deniz, who is absorbed in the magical world of comic books, meeting his relatives on the farm is a new experience. There is his grandmother who drives a tractor and speaks on a short wave radio, his aunt Hanife who wears bracelets from her wrist all the way to her shoulder, and his uncle who is a little naive.
There is trouble in store, however, for Sadık and Hüseyin who must come to terms with their past and each other. Sadık also needs to face his first love, now married with two children, and the question of old friends. However his sickness takes over and Sadık passes away. His parents take over the responsibility of Deniz who comes into term with his father's loss.(Wikipedia)
So,i think this scene was the greatest moment in the movie or i'm so soppy XD
taller man:sadık's brother
a man with hat:sadık's father
a woman with short hair cut:sadık's aunt
a woman with long,red hair:sadık's mother
father says ''it's all of my crime,if i was resist him,this s*** does'nt happend!!!'' and sadık's aunt said sadık's brother ''run and hit your father''.and he do.sadık's aunt said sadık's father''if a man want to run(go away),nobody can stop him,don't be stupid!!''
YouTube - Babam ve Oglum (En Vurucu Sahne)

Melike
07-14-2009, 05:52 AM
This is My father and my son directed by Çağan Irmak.
In order to study journalism at Istanbul University, Sadık leaves his village on the Aegean coast. This angers his father, Hüseyin, who wants him to study Agricultural Engineering so he can manage the family farm. During his years at university Sadık becomes politically active. Upon learning about Sadik's behavior, Hüseyin disowns him.
However worse days are ahead for Sadik. In the early hours of the morning on September 12, 1980 Sadık's pregnant wife starts having contractions. The couple runs outside, but they can't find anyone to take them to the hospital. The country has been taken over in a military coup. Sadık's wife gives birth in a park and dies, but their son, Deniz, lives.
Because of his political activities, Sadık is arrested, tortured, and imprisoned for three years during which time he loses his health. A few years after being released, he finds out that he will die. Having no other choice, he takes Deniz back to his family farm on the Aegean into the care of his mother and his father, who still does not speak to him. For Deniz, who is absorbed in the magical world of comic books, meeting his relatives on the farm is a new experience. There is his grandmother who drives a tractor and speaks on a short wave radio, his aunt Hanife who wears bracelets from her wrist all the way to her shoulder, and his uncle who is a little naive.
There is trouble in store, however, for Sadık and Hüseyin who must come to terms with their past and each other. Sadık also needs to face his first love, now married with two children, and the question of old friends. However his sickness takes over and Sadık passes away. His parents take over the responsibility of Deniz who comes into term with his father's loss.(Wikipedia)
So,i think this scene was the greatest moment in the movie or i'm so soppy XD
taller man:sadık's brother
a man with hat:sadık's father
a woman with short hair cut:sadık's aunt
a woman with long,red hair:sadık's mother
father says ''it's all of my crime,if i was resist him,this s*** does'nt happend!!!'' and sadık's aunt said sadık's brother ''run and hit your father''.and he do.sadık's aunt said sadık's father''if a man want to run(go away),nobody can stop him,don't be stupid!!''
YouTube - Babam ve Oglum (En Vurucu Sahne) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe3PmCRoLjU)

The movie that made whole Turkish people cry. :rolleyes:
Hmm, I don't know. Overrated. Nuri Bilge Ceylan deserves more...
But, it is great to see our movies here, Morgandalf. :couple: Good things should be shared.

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
yeah,you're right çağan ırmak always want people cry XD. and yeah i think Nuri Bilge is best.but my english isn't enought his movies XD

Melike
07-14-2009, 06:14 AM
yeah,you're right çağan ırmak always want people cry XD. and yeah i think Nuri Bilge is best.but my english isn't enought his movies XD

:) It's not about English. Words are not enough for his movies. He doesn't need to be translated.

nbcfilm-Three Monkeys-Story (http://www.nbcfilm.com/3maymun/story.php?mid=4)
Three Monkeys-YouTube

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 06:26 AM
right he doesn't need,but we do i think so

cozener
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned but...

Grandma's Boy...the bathroom jackoff scene? :rofl: Unfuckingforgetable! :rofl:

fernandito
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Oldboy - Oh Dae Su taking on a mini-platoon with nothing but a hammer and copious amounts of testicular fortitude.

Eastern Promises - The steam-room brawl. Intense.

Heather19
09-26-2009, 07:48 PM
The opening scene of The Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhARR-zmTCE&feature=related

or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LzblaPVgoI&feature=related

Melike
09-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Oldboy - Oh Dae Su taking on a mini-platoon with nothing but a hammer and copious amounts of testicular fortitude.

Eastern Promises - The steam-room brawl. Intense.
My favorite scene from Old Boy:
Old Boy *Spoiler!*
*sigh*

The opening scene of The Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhARR-zmTCE&feature=related

or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LzblaPVgoI&feature=related

I also love these parts:
The Fall
The Fall: Wedding Scene

Melike
09-27-2009, 07:39 AM
This is one of the greatest scenes:
Mushishi - Tanyuu

jayson
09-27-2009, 10:02 AM
inglourious basterds: the entirety of shosanna's preparation for enacting her plan. qt has always been a genius when it comes to picking the right music to accompany a scene and his choice of bowie's "cat people" for this scene may very well be his masterwork in this regard.

it is such a great song that went completely to waste in paul schrader's cat people film. qt rescued it and gave it the kind of scene it always deserved to be a part of.

the depth of that scene had a huge impact on me. as bad as the basterds were, and they were some bad motherfuckers, it's shosanna that's the one i wouldn't want to cross in a million years.

also, i could look at mélanie laurent all day long. :wub:

Heather19
09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
oh good call Jayson :thumbsup:

darkwolf
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
good call indeed! mélanie laurent is so hot she makes me want to :onfire:

Seymour_Glass
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Also speaking of basterds, that basement bar scene was astonishing.:onfire:

i would say something from Rushmore, because I just watched it, but I can't really isolate anything that particularly stands above the rest of the film. In the best possible way.

fernandito
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Words cannot express how much I love this scene from American Gangster - the look on Frank's face as he realizes that everything is catching up to him, how is empire is about to come crashing down, the score, the subsequent scenes of his employees getting arrested, it's amazing.

YouTube- American Gangster - Greatest Scene

Seymour_Glass
11-12-2009, 01:05 PM
The Life Aquatic

I might have already posted this.

Rushmore

magnolia

Seymour_Glass
11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
There Will Be Blood.

fernandito
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I - DRINK - YOUR - MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP ! (sluuuuuuurp)

Heather19
11-15-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exu2v5Nqcx0

And this one from Vampyr. Unfortunately this was the only one I could find on youtube that included the entire scene, so just ignore the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZsHNkAJBDU&feature=rec-LGOUT-real_rev-rn-HM

Brice
11-16-2009, 04:27 AM
:thumbsup:

Melike
11-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Nosferatu: :rose: Heather that is an unforgettable scene. :rose:

ola
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Buffalo '66:

Walking into the strip club while Heart of the Sunshine by Yes is playing, and BIlly shoots himself, it freezes, then goes back...and everything after that. <3

Moonchild dancing scene in the bowling alley...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9060994581203752459#

"Spanning time" scene in the photo booth <3

Melike
11-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Thanks to Bricey being some kind of key opening my mind and reminding me this. Ah, it is so beautiful!
Destino (Walt Disney animation by Salvador Dalí) - YouTube

Brice
11-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Just amazing! :D

alinda
11-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow! That's wonderful *sigh*:rose:

Heather19
11-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks Melike, I don't think I've ever actually seen that. :couple:

turtlex
12-01-2009, 05:59 AM
I spent a good deal of this weekend watching "classic" movies with my girlfriend ( she'd never seen them, so it was time!! ).

Watched Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Barefoot In The Park and The Mortal Storm.

Gone With The Wind - Just full of Great Cinematic Moments... my favorite being Scarlett's "I Will Never Go Hungry Again" scene.

Casablanca - Rick dejected and drunk, asking Sam to play it.

Barefoot In The Park - The dinner party eating Kinechi with Mr. Valasco.

Mortal Storm - Not the best movie, but Jimmy Stewart standing up for the professor is classic.

Melike
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Just amazing! :D
:couple:

Wow! That's wonderful *sigh*:rose:

Thanks Melike, I don't think I've ever actually seen that. :couple:

Sam
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Let's see great cinematic moments.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Scene where Darth Vader reveal Luke Skywalker's father

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Scene where Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the Dagobah swamp (still gives me goose bumps)

Superman The Movie - The helicopter scene... "You've got me? Who's got you??" One of the best lines of the entire series.

Sanjuro - The final duel. If you've seen this film you know what I mean. If not, you missed the best duel I've ever seen in film.

Seven Samurai - The entire film. Seriously, there are dozens of scenes that are memorable. The first time the samurai Kyuzo is introduced is one of the best duels on film and is barely outdistanced by the duel in Sanjuro. The final scene with Kikuchiyo is burned into my brain, and the final scene of the film itself is one of sadness (not sorrow though) and yet one of renewal as well. It has a tired determination to it and resignation at the same time.

turtlex
12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Do, or do not, there is no try.

Heather19
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I was watching Holiday Inn the other night, and I think this has got to be one of the most entertaining dance numbers I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKD6eKYivM

Still Servant
12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I know it's a national pastime to bash Ben Affleck's acting, so I thought I would post this scene from one of my favorite films of all time.

If you don't think this is good acting then you are either a hater or you just don't know anything about acting.

Just because everybody seems to hate him, doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon. I see it all the time with certain actors. It's like in school, there was always that one kid that everybody picked on. Even people who had nothing against the kid would make fun of him because everybody else was doing it. I've been guilty of this myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnFFHxg5a0

Seymour_Glass
12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I like Ben Affleck. Not in Pearl Harbor, but in general.

turtlex
12-17-2009, 04:24 AM
SS - that is a great scene. Having grown up in a suburb of Boston, let me tell you - they nailed that movie with the setting, ambiance and characters. It was like I was watching my brother's friends. Especially Affleck. He's not always a great actor, but he's had his moments. GWH is one of them, and Hollywoodland was another.

Heather - :huglove: A real classic, for sure.

Sam
12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Affleck was the BOMB in Phantoms yo!!

Brice
12-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Heather, I don't think I've seen that one before. It is just brilliant though. :clap:

Heather19
12-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Heather, I don't think I've seen that one before. It is just brilliant though. :clap:

Isn't it :huglove:
You should check out the whole movie. There are some other good numbers in there too.

Brice
12-18-2009, 05:01 AM
I'll try to find it. :)

Still Servant
12-18-2009, 08:18 PM
One of the best endings of all time. One of the best scenes of all time. One of the best quotes of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xG5hSOMGn0

pinkymcfatfat
12-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I've been a huge fan of 'Full Metal Jacket' (I did 2 papers on it for film classes) for years, but the scene that always grabbed me in it is not one of the war scenes...

For sheer realism it's the scene where Joker gets hit by Sgt. Hartman for saying he doesn't belive in the Virgin Mary:

HARTMAN: You goddam communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary . . . or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Now you do love the Virgin Mary, don't you?!

JOKER: Sir, negative, Sir!!

HARTMAN: Private Joker, are you trying to offend me?!

JOKER: Sir, negative, Sir!!! Sir, the private believes that any answer he gives will be wrong! And the Senior Drill Instructor will beat him harder if he reverses himself, Sir!

Melike
12-26-2009, 02:42 AM
This is one of the most amazing movies I have seen in my life, and this scene has a special influence on me, even after seven years. This is supposed to be a collection of horror movies, but somehow it touches my heart in a melancholic way. Many of Asian horror movies has the same impact on me, but this one is the first for me...
I wish there were anybody else who had seen this one, especially 'Going Home' the last segment of it.
Three(Saam Gaang): Memories, opening - YouTube

Lily-sai
12-26-2009, 04:34 AM
Melike, I love Asian horror movies. Especially Korean ones have this daunting, eerie feeling you can't find anywhere else. :wub:

Heather19
12-26-2009, 06:50 AM
This is one of the most amazing movies I have seen in my life, and this scene has a special influence on me, even after seven years. This is supposed to be a collection of horror movies, but somehow it touches my heart in a melancholic way. Many of Asian horror movies has the same impact on me, but this one is the first for me...
I wish there was anybody else who had seen this one, especially 'Going Home' the last segment of it.
Three(Saam Gaang): Memories, opening - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfsDXkSYsc)

That looks really good. I love Asian horror films. I'll have to rent that one soon.

cody44
12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I love this scene. It really captures the essence of what Bill did and why.
Kill Bill Vol.2 Superman Dialogue

I too also loved the basement scene in Inglourious Basterds. On the dvd extras they talk about how its the longest scene at around 30+ minutes long.

Sam
12-26-2009, 11:24 AM
This is one of the greatest duels in cinematic history. It is from Sanjuro by world famous director Akira Kurosawa. The entire film speaks a message of nonviolence in a very violent world. The ending speaks this message LOUDLY.

YouTube- SANJURO

Darkthoughts
12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Affleck was the BOMB in Phantoms yo!!

:lol: I haven't watched a Jay and Silent Bob movie in a long time, I may have to remedy that this evening :thumbsup:

I didn't like Brad Pitt in Se7en, I didn't like the film much at all really, I thought it was over done in most places.

Melike
12-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Melike, I love Asian horror movies. Especially Korean ones have this daunting, eerie feeling you can't find anywhere else. :wub:
They are also sad movies.

I wish there was anybody else who had seen this one, especially 'Going Home' the last segment of it.
Three(Saam Gaang): Memories, opening - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfsDXkSYsc)

That looks really good. I love Asian horror films. I'll have to rent that one soon.
Hether, you don't have any idea about how much happy I would be. :wub:

ola
01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
YouTube- Lost Highway Mystery Man at party

Still Servant
01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I watched Revolutionary Road the other day and I thought it was pretty good. One scene stuck out in my mind as being particularly powerful. The acting is just spot on. Michael Shannon was nominated for an Oscar for this role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I-56Xyr0Bw

IWasSentWest
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGUqd_M6Mg

gives me major goosebumps. kind of funny that it takes a movie speech to make me truly proud to be an American lol

IWasSentWest
01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4p9BQ3V9o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

and of course, good ole' Pacino

Heather19
01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
I watched Revolutionary Road the other day and I thought it was pretty good. One scene stuck out in my mind as being particularly powerful. The acting is just spot on. Michael Shannon was nominated for an Oscar for this role.

When I saw you posted in here, I thought it was going to be something about Rebel :unsure:

But I agree about Revolutionary Road, I loved that movie. I thought they all did amazing jobs in that one.

And Ola, I love Lost Highway :wub:

Still Servant
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM

When I saw you posted in here, I thought it was going to be something about Rebel :unsure:

But I agree about Revolutionary Road, I loved that movie. I thought they all did amazing jobs in that one.

And Ola, I love Lost Highway :wub:

You mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJO1jFi3Hvo

I actually meant to post this along with the Revolutionary Road clip last night, but I got sidetracked.

This is my new favorite movie scene.

Heather19
01-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Love it! :thumbsup:
One of the best movie scenes ever.

Sickrose
01-28-2010, 05:25 AM
i watched an Old Hammer Horror film called The Nanny the other day. The scene where the sister Pen is dying and The Nanny is revealing what happended is quality. The film is fantastic.

Darkthoughts
01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
From "The Hairdresser's Husband", one of my favourite scenes ever:

YouTube- dance

Heather19
02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I finally got the chance to watch Spellbound last night, and this dream sequence is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_y6vdMjk0M&feature=related

Brice
02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
:0 I am just surprised there is Hitchcock you haven't seen yet. So what did you think of it overall, Heather?

Heather19
02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
:0 I am just surprised there is Hitchcock you haven't seen yet. So what did you think of it overall, Heather?

I know right. :lol: There's still a few I've got left to watch.
I loved it. It's not my favorite film of his, but it was still excellent.

Brice
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, there are some real gems among the lesser known Hitch films. :)

Heather19
02-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Definitely. I'm going to try to finish watching those that I haven't seen yet.
And I'm glad this one got a new dvd release. It had been out of print for far too long.

Melike
02-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I loved that scene! I must admit that I haven't seen any Hitchcock. My father said I had to. *shame on me* And I gathered a collection contains 35 movies by him. Spellbound will be the first one to watch after seeing this dream sequence.

Heather19
02-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I knew you'd love it Melike :couple:
And you must watch some Hitchcock! I'd also suggest Rebbecca and Rear Window. Those are my two favs, although in all honesty they're all great.

Melike
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I will let you learn when I see them. :couple:

Brice
02-08-2010, 08:18 PM
:angry: Melikey has not seen Hitchcock films????

*locks Melikey in the basement with nothing, but a tv, dvd player, and EVERY Hitchcock film ever made*

Oh, yeah...and ME! :couple:

Melike
02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/forum/embrassmentjustbeforepanic.gif
*shhht*

Brice
02-09-2010, 12:45 AM
:D

turtlex
02-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Heather!!! :wub: I love that you're watching all the Classics. Wasn't Spellbound great?!?

Heather19
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Heather!!! :wub: I love that you're watching all the Classics. Wasn't Spellbound great?!?

:huglove:
It was. I've been dying to see it for years, but could never find a copy. So I'm glad I finally got to see it, especially since it contains a collaboration between two of my favorite artists.

Heather19
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
This is easily one of the most bizarre openings to a film that I have ever seen
8 1/2

And an old favorite. This scene has always stuck with me since the very first time I saw it.
Night of the Hunter

Brice
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
8 1/2 :thumbsup: Fellini was brilliant.

Melike
02-21-2010, 03:13 AM
8 1/2 is mesmerising. I love bizarre movies. Heather, I think I am going to re-watch it soon. :D

Melike
03-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Shrinking Lover

I have been looking for this for so long to post here. It is a short movie in Almodóvar's Talk to Her.

...of Alfredo, a nice young
guy, but a bit fat...

...kai Amparo's friend
who is a scientist.

Amparo prepares a new
experimental diet...
...that will revolutionize
the food industry.

What egoism! You only
think of yourself!

I found it!

It might be dangerous. I never
gave it to a human before.

You still think I act
with selfishness?

It has done miracles for you!

Don't worry, my love!
I will find the antidote!

Time was passing by...
...but Amparo couldn't find
the antidote...

...and poor Alfredo,
day by day, shrank in misery.

I will always love you.

So that Amparo doesn't suffer...

...Alfredo leaves and goes
to find his mother.

He hadn't seen her for 10 years,
beacause he was lousy.

He hadn't told Ambaro
where his mother lived.

Lots of things going on
in this movie.

But the most important
thing is...

...after years full of
regrets and studies...

...Amparo finds the address
of his mother.

And goes there.

Hotel Iukali.
Room 15.

-Sleep, my darling.
-And what if I be a burden by mistake?

And Alfredo...
...stays inside her...
...for ever.

Brice
03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Awesome! But do you know what the words are? :unsure:

Melike
03-11-2010, 06:38 AM
I have seen it years ago with English subtitles. Here are the subtitles:

...of Alfredo, a nice young
guy, but a bit fat...

...kai Amparo's friend
who is a scientist.

Amparo prepares a new
experimental diet...
...that will revolutionize
the food industry.

What egoism! You only
think of yourself!

I found it!

It might be dangerous. I never
gave it to a human before.

You still think I act
with selfishness?

It has done miracles for you!

Don't worry, my love!
I will find the antidote!

Time was passing by...
...but Amparo couldn't find
the antidote...

...and poor Alfredo,
day by day, shrank in misery.

I will always love you.

So that Amparo doesn't suffer...

...Alfredo leaves and goes
to find his mother.

He hadn't seen her for 10 years,
beacause he was lousy.

He hadn't told Ambaro
where his mother lived.

Lots of things going on
in this movie.

But the most important
thing is...

...after years full of
regrets and studies...

...Amparo finds the address
of his mother.

And goes there.

Hotel Iukali.
Room 15.

-Sleep, my darling.
-And what if I be a burden by mistake?

And Alfredo...
...stays inside her...
...for ever.

Brice
03-11-2010, 06:41 AM
:D Thank you! :huglove:

Seymour_Glass
03-14-2010, 06:27 PM
A Serious man

thebumblerinblack
03-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Just watched a movie yesterday called (dadadummm!) Antichrist (not what you think it would be about). Aside from being the most fucked up movie I've ever seen, it was good clean family fun:|. It was full of great cinematography, as it was an art/horror film by Lars von Trier. I havent seen anything else by him, but I definitely liked this one, just for it's sheer fucked-upness and creepy animals (liked it enough to use a pic from it for my new sig).
I'll spoiler this because it's pretty graphic and disgusting, especially if you like your foxes to be feelin' good.
(it said in the credits, no animals were harmed in the making of, but damn, that's some realistic shit)YouTube- The Fox Scene from Antichrist (Chaos Reigns)

Brice
03-16-2010, 04:08 AM
I've only seen his The Kingdom upon which Kingdom Hospital was based.

Melike
03-16-2010, 05:35 AM
I've only seen his The Kingdom upon which Kingdom Hospital was based.

Bricey! Lars von Trier is an awesome, amazing director. One of my favorites. I am sure, you'll like his works. And start with Dogville.

thebumblerinblack, Antichist is a great movie. I would recommend you Dogville, too.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Dogville !!

Awesome cast! Awesome !!! Nicole Kidman ( though she's only okay here ), Lauren Bacall, Jean-Marc Barr ( who I loved in The Big Blue ), Paul Bettany, Blair Brown, Patricia Clarkson ( one of my favorites... regardless of the movie ).... just wonderful.

Brice
03-16-2010, 06:33 AM
I may have to add that to the list. Right now I'm watching Thirst.

Melike
03-16-2010, 06:40 AM
I may have to add that to the list. Right now I'm watching Thirst.
:excited:

Dogville !!

Awesome cast! Awesome !!! Nicole Kidman ( though she's only okay here ), Lauren Bacall, Jean-Marc Barr ( who I loved in The Big Blue ), Paul Bettany, Blair Brown, Patricia Clarkson ( one of my favorites... regardless of the movie ).... just wonderful.
:couple: Do you know when the last part of the trilogy will come out? It is categorized as in development on IMDB since 2008 or 2009. :(

turtlex
03-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Melike - If I recall correctly, I read in the Hollywood Reporter a long time ago, something about an "issue" with the script. Not sure what the means exactly, but typically "in development" means waiting on a script and financing to come through. Who knows how long that might be. Sorry.

Melike
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Melike - If I recall correctly, I read in the Hollywood Reporter a long time ago, something about an "issue" with the script. Not sure what the means exactly, but typically "in development" means waiting on a script and financing to come through. Who knows how long that might be. Sorry.
:(
Thank you.

Well, I have to add this now:
Dogville (spoilers!)

Heather19
03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Just watched a movie yesterday called (dadadummm!) Antichrist (not what you think it would be about). Aside from being the most fucked up movie I've ever seen, it was good clean family fun:|. It was full of great cinematography, as it was an art/horror film by Lars von Trier. I havent seen anything else by him, but I definitely liked this one, just for it's sheer fucked-upness and creepy animals (liked it enough to use a pic from it for my new sig).
I'll spoiler this because it's pretty graphic and disgusting, especially if you like your foxes to be feelin' good.
(it said in the credits, no animals were harmed in the making of, but damn, that's some realistic shit)YouTube- The Fox Scene from Antichrist (Chaos Reigns) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L2ooG_MX9E)

Thanks, I've been wanting to watch this one for awhile now.

thebumblerinblack
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
(it said in the credits, no animals were harmed in the making of, but damn, that's some realistic shit)YouTube- The Fox Scene from Antichrist (Chaos Reigns) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L2ooG_MX9E)

Thanks, I've been wanting to watch this one for awhile now.

Sure. Its on the watch instantly list on netflix right now if you've got an account. I would recommend this movie to anyone and their grandmother:lol:

Heather19
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Excellent! :D

Melike
04-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Dracula

Heather19
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Melike :wub:

cody44
04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Since I rarely get to talk about movies in school anymore, I figured I'd come here and post a number of my recent favorite scenes. I've been watching a ton of films this year, and hopefully none of these are repeats.

One of my favorite scenes from any movie. The cinematography is beyond beautiful, I love the lighting and mud as he recoils from her:

YouTube- Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

Norman Bates, how you creep the flying-sh*t out of me. This scene just lasts long after the movie's over:

YouTube- Why Norman Bates would'nt hurt a fly...

Hitchcock knows how to build the suspense, and he mastered it in Rear Window:

YouTube- The Best of Suspense #1 - Rear Window

The opening to Raging Bull, in my opinion, is one of the greatest openings in film history. The ring, the lights, and the sound. They all culminate into this amazing experience:

YouTube- raging bull

Last but not least, how can you not love Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

YouTube- John Hughes commentary - The Museum scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Well, I'll leave it with that for a bit. Maybe something I see in the next week might catch my eyes and ears and draw me back here.

cody44
04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I actually really enjoy the opening credits to Watchmen, too.

YouTube- Watchmen - Opening Credits

Dagavidiab
04-15-2010, 08:22 AM
To me, this movie is beatifull.... A must see!

House Of Flying Daggers Trailer

Heather19
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Cody, those Hitchcock ones are great. He's got so many memorable scenes in his films. Have you seen Strangers on a Train? I think that film has some of the best shots ever filmed :thumbsup:

And here's a few Welles shots. He really is a master when it comes to shooting films.

This is one of my favorite scenes that he's directed, from The Lady From Shanghai. And just a warning this reveals the end of the film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8tl6yRKn0

And another favorite of mine. Everything about this scene is just perfect :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAHaRDlUrLw&feature=related

Sam
04-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, I wanted to post a video of one of my favorite scenes in filmdom, Yoda raising the X-Wing fighter from the swamps of Dagobah. This is the scene that gave us "Do or do not. There is not try." along with one of the most awe inspiring scenes that I've ever watched. The music and the cinematography combine to make a scene that give me chills every time I see it. It is just poetry.

Yaksha
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies is The Corw, when Eric Draven is playing the guitar on top of the roof. I like how it looks like he is jamming until he loses it and smashes the guitar to pieces.

turtlex
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah. :couple: Another fan of The Crow.

I love that movie. The entire film it iconic to me, and I can't pick a single scene that I like better than the others.

Melike
10-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Inception - Rotating Hallway - YouTube

fernandito
10-18-2010, 07:07 AM
:thumbsup:

Seneschal
10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
awesome scene in an amazing movie (True Romance):
http://www.premiere.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/true-romance/643866-1-eng-US/true-romance.jpg

I couldn't find an image of the broken coffee mug for this one (cuz that is truly the epic moment of the movie), but this pic serves the purpose:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HeUY-A2efl4/SiCrcGYdSeI/AAAAAAAAC2E/s8R3r7raYpU/s400/the-usual-suspects.jpg

iconic scene from Enter the Dragon:
http://factsanddetails.com/media/2/20080304-EntertheDragonMirror%20wiki.jpg

fernandito
10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I love that scene in TR, Dennis Hopper is awesome.

Seneschal
10-19-2010, 03:42 AM
i agree. that scene to me is the highlight of the film, and is one of my favorite in all of cinema. well shot, awesome dialogue, and walken and hopper play off each other so well.

Melike
05-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Abandoned thread.
On facebook, I saw, both candy and feverish added 28 Weeks Later to their likes, that reminded me how wonderful that movies were.
I had to search for a long time, to find the scene I wanted but at last I could.
http://media.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/titles/28-weeks-later/528/screenshot-lrg-19.png

fernandito
05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
That's just after Jeremy Renner takes out the sniper, right ? I love that bit. The music that accompanies that entire segment is foreboding. A prelude of the chaos to come.