PDA

View Full Version : Gunkslinger's first TDT.com giveaway. Pay it forward!

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

This is my first giveaway on TDT.com.

I started a giveaway thread on TDT.net years ago. With it I gave away some really cool stuff, Michael Whelan original art, lettered and limited edition books. I know that a lot of the past recipients are a part of the present "TDT.com family"

I'm putting out a meager giveaway right now

Signed Limited "God's End" by Michael McBride #146 of 250, unread.

Signed PB "Midnight Road" by Tom Piccirilli dated 4-12-08, unread.

Signed PB "A Choir of Ill Children" by Tom Piccirilli dated 7-15-05, unread.

Dean Koontz "The Face" CD audiobook read by Dylan Baker.

I'll pay for the media mail shipping.

As for all of my previous giveaways.

No resale.

If you are a recipient, please consider starting your own giveaway thread. Pay it forward.:)

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm going to use "The Hat" software to pick the winners.

razz
01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
so what, we post hier if we want in?

The Lady of Shadows
01-01-2009, 12:31 PM
so just out of curiousity, have you considered donating any of these items to the big give? :unsure:

*goes back into her shell*

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
so what, we post hier if we want in?

"So what?"

I don't understand.

This is an offering to all TDT.com members. TDT.net is dead.

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 12:44 PM
so just out of curiousity, have you considered donating any of these items to the big give? :unsure:

*goes back into her shell*

Unsure what big give you speak of.

Daghain
01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
This (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=173) Big Give. :)

And I think razz was just trying to ask if people were supposed to post in here if they wanted to be in on the drawing. :)

Matt
01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I think razz was asking how people became a part of it. Put their name in the hat so to speak.

We are (this very day) launching our 2nd annual Big Give for the Haven Foundation so we try to keep other events tied to it as much as possible during it's run. 1/1-5/19 every year :rock:

Thanks for being so generous though, let me know if you would like to get involved with the fund raiser.

The Lady of Shadows
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM
the 2nd annual thedarktower.org haven foundation fundraiser. the main forum is here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=173), information about donating is here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6455), and matt's donation announcements (about cash donations) thread is here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6464).

check it out. pm matt. maybe you could throw your hat in with us! :grouphug: it looks like you've got some great stuff listed. :)

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Gunkslinger giveaway is canceled.

Brice
01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I think in our zeal for the fundraiser (which is itself a good thing) we made a really kind and generous person feel bad about no more than his own generosity. This really makes me sad, to be honest. We should never discourage generosity.

BTW: I do believe Mike was the one who started the whole giveaway thing originally over at .net. We have him to thank for the original idea, as it inspired our own giveaways.

gsvec
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Hopefully he cancelled because he's sending the stuff to Matt for The Big Give? :unsure:

oy-the-brave
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes Mike was indead the first to do a giveaway, and the most generous.

bast_imret
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Good to see you around again Gunk! The giveaways on .net were great (though I always missed them :doh: ). I hope the reason you cancelled the giveaway was due to shifting the items over to the big give, and not due to the previous posts.

alinda
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Damn fine thing Gunkslinger, I was all excited about it.
I gave away a copy of Duma key here last year, and
personally I think your gesture is remarkable, generous
and most kind. If you ever do one, please cout me in.:)

Patrick
01-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Gunk has always been a most generous fellow. His past giveaways were awesome, and he really did begin the trend - especially due to his simple requirement that winners pay it forward in their own way.

Mike, I hope you bring back your giveaway in whatever format you so desire - such as post #1 of this here thread, or through the Haven Foundation fundraiser.

In any case, I'm glad to see you posting here at TDT.com, we've missed you!

turtlex
01-02-2009, 02:46 AM
I think in our zeal for the fundraiser (which is itself a good thing) we made a really kind and generous person feel bad about no more than his own generosity. This really makes me sad, to be honest. We should never discourage generosity.

Very generous indeed. I hope you weren't put off, Gunkslinger, what you offered was more than kind. Please pardon our enthusiasm for the Big Give.

I absolutely love your Pay It Forward aspect, and look forward to any other offerings you feel ready to make. Sincerely.

Matt
01-02-2009, 05:30 AM
I was not trying to put Gunkslinger off and you can see there there is no place in my post where I told him not to do it. :fairy:

I had no idea there were ever any giveaways on dt.net, was never involved in them and did not consider them when coming up with the idea for this.

I do however think it is a good idea for this site to focus it's attention during these months on how we can help a fine charity.

The Lady of Shadows
01-02-2009, 07:41 AM
all i did was ask if he has/was considering donating any of the items to the big give and then point him in the right direction.
i didn't know about giveaways at .net (but then, i was a lurker there not a member).

i certainly didn't mean to put him off but was only hoping that he might take some of his generosity and direct it to the site's attempts to raise money for haven.

i'm sorry to see him pull his offer in such a complete manner, and can only hope that he did it in order to donate some or all of his items to matt for the auction or the big give.

and we as a site are certainly well versed in paying it forward; as we've seen members do it over the past year on a consistently random basis. . . .

Matt
01-02-2009, 07:46 AM
The whole thing was a miscommunication.

The site is not prohibiting independent giveaways on the site while the fund raiser is on.

I'd like to offer apologies to Gunkslinger on the mix up

Nerak
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Gunk! COME BACK!! WE MISS YOU!!!!

Gunkslinger
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
The whole thing was a miscommunication.

The site is not prohibiting independent giveaways on the site while the fund raiser is on.

I'd like to offer apologies to Gunkslinger on the mix up

No apologies necessary, I just thought it would be cool for me to start another giveaway on this site.

It was a bit confusing to me how this giveaway was being viewed, so I shut the giveaway down.

On the TDT.net I started a giveaway because a few collectors and publishers I met in the past years showed me some kindness and generosity.

Book collecting can be a very cutthroat hobby. :pirate:.

I hated that mentality. So I decided to mix it up and give back to the collecting community. Everyone starts somewhere in collecting, as the pusher said, "Go ahead kid, the first one is for free." Hopefully my freebies hooked a few budding collectors, I think they did.:thumbsup:

I will plan some future giveaways......after May 19th.

Gunkslinger
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Gunk! COME BACK!! WE MISS YOU!!!!

I'm back, and it's good to be back too.

Blame Jon for my reappearance:thumbsup:.

Matt
01-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I totally agree man and I'm sorry it turned out the way it did.

Basically what you are talking about is our goal here, to bring people closer together through kindness and generosity. Please don't worry about wanting to spread the love a bit.

The Giveaway for this fund raiser is an incentive for people to give to it in the first place...totally separate but I spend all year gathering some of the coolest King stuff ever to show the members my appreciation for getting involved.

Then we give it all away...It's great! :clap:

alinda
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Phew, wow I am glad that's all better ;)Give a ways...are such a cool thing privately, or on a group level. I am very relieved Gunk. :couple:

Gunkslinger
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Phew, wow I am glad that's all better ;)Give a ways...are such a cool thing privately, or on a group level. I am very relieved Gunk. :couple:

We are all in this together. Shameless Owen King rip-off? Haha!

Hey, you haven't solved my riddle yet!

Hannah
01-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Gunkslinger! Welcome to the site! :D

I'm going to go ahead and send this thread to the clearing, but I'm going to leave a one day redirect for those that may want to peruse the thread after it's moved.