PDA

View Full Version : FABLES

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Anyone here read the monthly book from Vertigo Fables, or the spin off book Jack of Fables?

Really excellent story telling and great art each month.

Essentially, the fairy tale characters we know and love from our youth have been chased out of their homelands by an evil fable known only as the Adversary. They escaped to New York, and have lived amongst us since early days.

The first 75 issues deal with finding out who this Adversary is (I won't tell you, don't worry) and a war. The second major story arc started at issue 76, which deals with the out come of the first 75.

If anyone does read the book, I'd love to hear from you. If others do, maybe a Spoiler warning should be made so we don't spoil the surprises for those who want to read the series.

fernandito
12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I love Fables. I have volumes 1 - 11 (Issues 1 - 75, I believe) and own the 1001 Nights of Snowfall prequel. I'm not sure whether to start collecting the individual issues from now on or to just wait for the omnibuses.

And yes, please mark your spoilers ladies & gents.

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, it's a tough call. Me, I can't wait just for the trades, I really need to know what happens each month, so I buy the monthly issues, and then buy the trades as well, and give the monthly to friends to read after.

The new story lines that take place right after War and Piece is just amazing, the latest one, The Dark Ages, is incredible.

Do you read the spin off book Jack of Fables?

fernandito
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
I haven't read any of the Jack of Fables omnibuses yet...to be honest, they don't really pique my interest.

Should I start them?

Aaron
12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
I just finished volume 4, March of the Wooden Soldiers. I am enjoying the series immensely. The writing is great and the story is always engaging. I am still waiting for volume 5 to arrive in the mail. I already have volume 6 and it is killing me not to read it, but I have to find out what happens with

Snow and Bigby's babies.

I plan to read through the omnibuses as quickly as I can so I can pick up with the monthly issues. Once I have done that, I may start Jack of Fables. Not sure, though, Jack annoys the shit out of me.

fernandito
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Jack is decent as a supporting character, but I don't know if I'm willing to dish out the $15+ for a series focused solely on him. I'm going to pick up the first issue and see where I go from there.

Aaron
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
We're thinking along the same lines, Feev. :thumbsup:

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Jack of Fables is a good book, and you can really read just Fables and not need JOF. Now, that said, characters introduced in Fables do later on appear in JOF and some questions brought up in Fables are answered in JOF. Also, in Spring of 2009 there will be a cross over with JOF and Fables.

Yeah, Jack does come off as an ass, and he is. The first time I read the spin off I thought it was OK. It was later on, after doing a marathon reading of the last 20 issues or so, that I really warmed up to it.

Also, while Jack has an ongoing story line that plays off each past issue, much like Fables does, there are some great flash back stories dealing with Jack's past, one in particular involving Bigby Wolf and set in the Western days.

I also wanted to say, while I am caught up with all the comics in both series, I promise not to give any spoilers to you guys who are still early on in the series. It's a great read, enjoy the surprises!

Arthur Heath
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Here you go Fables fans...

Fables Jump to TV (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/120809-Willingham-Fables.html)

Aaron
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
:nana:

I was just talking about how I wished this was a show. I kind of hate that it's a network that wants to take it on, though. Censorship and whatnot.

But I will endure it gladly to see Fables on the screen.

The Cosmic Geek
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I was kind of hoping Fables would go the cable TV way, but, so long as they give us great stories I will be happy. And if it stinks, we still have the comic.

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
For those reading Fables montly, I believe the new issue is due this Wed.

The Cosmic Geek
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Did anyone buy the new issue yesterday? This series is so great and is getting better each issue. So many things are going on I need to discuss with someone!

For those reading, let's chat about it. For those not reading but are interested in what the comic is, give it a try, it's an amazaing read and is truly one of the great independent comics of our day.

fernandito
01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
<--- Still waiting for the omnibus :lol:

Seymour_Glass
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
<---- Still hasn't started reading Fables.

fernandito
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
^ Should get his ass started then :lol:

Seymour_Glass
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
:lol: ^ is probably right.

The Cosmic Geek
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL That was funny.

Yeah, give it a read, there are some amazing stories in this comic.

Aaron
01-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Just read volume 8 Wolves yesterday. Getting closer...

The Cosmic Geek
01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Have you read the original graphic novel 1001 Nights of Snowfall?

I tell you, the story line that is happening now after the war with the Adversary is just as exciting as the series was when it was leading up to who the Adversary was and the war. I'm really enjoying this comic. I was afraid maybe it would lose some steam, but if anything, it is going stronger than before!

Are you reading Jack of Fables?

fernandito
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I tell you, the story line that is happening now after the war with the Adversary is just as exciting as the series was when it was leading up to who the Adversary was and the war... I was afraid maybe it would lose some steam, but if anything, it is going stronger than before!

I was worried that the series would lose some steam after the war also, but with positive review after positive review, I think my doubts have been relinquished. :D

Aaron
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm havent read 1001 Nights yet, nor have I read Jack of Fables. I'm focusing on catching up with the main story now, so that I can follow monthly.

The Cosmic Geek
01-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I tell you, the story line that is happening now after the war with the Adversary is just as exciting as the series was when it was leading up to who the Adversary was and the war... I was afraid maybe it would lose some steam, but if anything, it is going stronger than before!

I was worried that the series would lose some steam after the war also, but with positive review after positive review, I think my doubts have been relinquished. :D

Oh man, it has been SO good. The story line out now titled The Dark Ages is just so great. So many exciting things are happening.

Let me know what you think of Jack of Fables when you get to it, Aaron.

turtlex
03-26-2009, 03:50 AM
There's a small write up about Jack of Fables in the new Wizard magazine... lots of surprises on the horizon apparently.

The Cosmic Geek
03-28-2009, 04:39 PM
jack is a pretty good book. The big Fables crossover starts in April.