PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a fantasy world as a child?

Letti
08-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Did you move in a world nobody else just you could see?
Let me know it.

For my part I didn't have a whole world but I had many friends in my mind. I still remember them and sometimes... I miss them. They loved as I was and they gave me a lot. It's still hard to say they never existed.
They did.

Maybe they still do. :D

MonteGss
08-04-2007, 07:04 AM
I did not.
Unless you count pretending to be Clark Kent/Superman all the time. I wasn't exactly in a fantasy world...I was fantasizing about being him in the real world. :)

Daghain
08-04-2007, 09:10 AM
What do you mean "when I was a child?" I still do. :lol:

Jean
08-04-2007, 09:42 AM
What do you mean "when I was a child?" I still do. :lol:
ditto
more than one

Letti
08-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Okay.. you are kids.. but you must be able to answer the question above, am I right? :D

Letti
08-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I did not.
Unless you count pretending to be Clark Kent/Superman all the time. I wasn't exactly in a fantasy world...I was fantasizing about being him in the real world. :)

I like this one a lot. :)

MonteGss
08-04-2007, 12:21 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x77/Gunslinger_Pimp/superman.gif

Daghain
08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
dittomore than one

Right back atcha. :)

Mine change as I get older, but generally are variations of each other. Or more mature versions of each other. I'm not sure which.

But a good imagination can help you pass a lot of time in a fun way. :)

Letti
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
At the moment I don't really see what you mean by fantasy world.
I mean all of us have our own worlds.. our souls need a garden to live freely. But don't mean that a fantazy world (here in this thread) however many people are so closed that they have no idea about what reality is.

Daghain
08-04-2007, 12:48 PM
No, I don't mean like a virtual reality. I mean like imaginary friends, etc. But I don't generally sit around and talk to them. :lol:

I have a lot of imaginary worlds in my head. Maybe someday I'll write about them and make millions. :)

Letti
08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Please do. And please send me one of the first prints with a "with love to Letti" line in it. :wub:

And are your imaginary friends humans? (What a question!)
Most of mine were animals. :)

Daghain
08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
When I write my first novel, I'll send you a signed copy. :)

All of my imaginary friends are human. :)

Letti
08-04-2007, 01:00 PM
When I write my first novel, I'll send you a signed copy. :)

I will remember this promise as long as I live. :wub:

Daghain
08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
You got it! ;)

She-Oy
08-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I had a fantasy world, so to speak. It was something reminescent of the Velveteen Rabbit (which actually happens to be my favorite childhood book). All of my stuffed animals lived. And whenever I would leave for trips (which was actually often considering my dad worked for a major airlines and we were constantly going on trips), I would have to make sure I talked to every single animal, and then I would place blankets on them, when I ran out of blankets I would use toilet paper...something anything, to make sure they were cozy.

And when I got back from my trips the animals would talk to me about what all went on while I was gone.

I wasn't so much a princess as a zoo-keeper for my stuffed animals. But I remember those feelings fondly. I guess it was the innocence to it all.

Sometimes I look at Drew's room and see his stuffed animals laying, and as I pick them up, I still have an urge to make them comfortable...LOL

Daghain
08-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Awww, that's cute. :)

Mordred Deschain
08-05-2007, 05:19 PM
If this counts, I did "day-dream" alot, but it was about me being placed in stories. I would seriously lose time.

Spencer
08-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I think reading The Dark Tower books is that world for me.

Mordred Deschain
08-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I think reading The Dark Tower books is that world for me.

There's a few book series that did that for me.

Daghain
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
You know, I have to agree with that. The Dark Tower series is in my head A LOT. I like to mentally write myself in there from time to time. :D

Mordred Deschain
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I do that with Dune as well. As kid, the whole Robotech trilogy had me daydreaming.

Darkthoughts
08-08-2007, 08:56 AM
When I was younger (5 onwards) I used to believe I was an elf/faery that had been sent to this world and raised by my human parents to protect me from some force of evil in my own land. My Dad was always telling me I looked like an elf to which I would think "little do you know!..." :lol:

I still spend about 85% of the day in my daydreams ;)

Jon
10-05-2007, 03:12 AM
As a child I wanted my horse to provide all transportation so as to eliminate a particular man. I wanted the cows to bring me milk and cereal so as to eliminate a a particular woman. I wanted the bull to gore a particular man who hurt me and my sister.

Then we, horse, sister, cow, and bull would live alone in peace.

Storyslinger
10-05-2007, 07:08 AM
I spent a lot of time in the woods, living in a world a sadly never will be able to revisit or remember :(

alinda
10-05-2007, 07:11 AM
This is the best fantasy world there is !!!:fairy:

Storyslinger
10-05-2007, 07:13 AM
If only I could remember those times

RUBE
11-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Does being in junior high school count as being a child? If so I had a very specific "fantasy world" that I would visit at night. Very specific and adult...

Letti
11-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Does being in junior high school count as being a child? If so I had a very specific "fantasy world" that I would visit at night. Very specific and adult...

For my part I would like to get more information about it. ;)

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2007, 12:28 PM
I always pretended I was different animals when I was little... and I was quite obsessed with the Neverending Story..

RUBE
11-23-2007, 12:54 AM

For my part I would like to get more information about it. ;)

Sure you say that now... but if you had the details one of us would do this: :blush:

cozener
01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Absolutely, yes. Music was always the vehicle of transportation for me. I'd put on the headphones and be whisked away. The fantasy was elaborate, taking place on two worlds...the real world and the fantasy world. In part of this dream I was marooned on this world by my enemies to clear the way to the Throne of the High King; the mastermind behind my banishment being my evil twin (of course) but a twin who was only marginally related to me. It was a smattering of The Man in the Iron Mask, Arthurian legend, Time Bandits, with a bit or two of other fantasy literature and a pinch or two of scifi thrown in. Maybe one day I'll write about it...if I can motivate myself to continuously write anything and figure a way to weed out the childish cliches' without completely deflating the story.

And like Rube, I was in middle school when mine started up too.

obscurejude
01-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Around the age of six, I became obsessed with the idea of being Chinese. For about a year I spoke in jibberish trying to imitate what I perceived as the most wonderful sounds of creation. I also wore my karate gee everywhere, including the supermarket. I was certainly in my own world...and drove my mom insane. I also got my cousins to do the same thing after one Christmas and my aunt got pretty upset because it took them so long to stop (several weeks). I think the phase had something to do with being a product of so many eighties action movies.

Letti
01-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Around the age of six, I became obsessed with the idea of being Chinese. For about a year I spoke in jibberish trying to imitate what I perceived as the most wonderful sounds of creation. I also wore my karate gee everywhere, including the supermarket. I was certainly in my own world...and drove my mom insane. I also got my cousins to do the same thing after one Christmas and my aunt got pretty upset because it took them so long to stop (several weeks). I think the phase had something to do with being a product of so many eighties action movies.

It sounds so nice.
I don't really understand why your mother didn't like it.
I wish I could have seen you in the market. I think I would have thought: "Hey, there is something in that kid." :)

Jean
01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
!!! my photobucket is on maintenance, or I'd put some cartwheeling bears here. That's exactly what still happens to me and Japan. One could blame Kurosawa or Akutagawa or Bashyo or Hokusai, but actually nobody is to blame but our perverted selves! Did you go as far as to learn the language?

alinda
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I was just about to say, I still have one!! Usually I am told that this "other"world is not real or that it is a fantasy world by other people...
I belive it is quite real, it is just that it is so fantastic and different than the more mundane (generally speaking) one that occupies most of my day.

cozener
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Around the age of six, I became obsessed with the idea of being Chinese. For about a year I spoke in jibberish trying to imitate what I perceived as the most wonderful sounds of creation. I also wore my karate gee everywhere, including the supermarket. I was certainly in my own world...and drove my mom insane. LOL

obscurejude
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Jean, I did not go so far as to learn the language. I really didn't have the means, and remember it was something my mom was trying to stop. I have since come to appreciate the culture for several more substantive reasons. I'm glad you guys thought it was funny. It really was a blast. I was a sight to see at the supermarket. Watching "The Karate Kid" brings back a lot of those memories. As well as a host of other movies...

Brice
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I was just about to say, I still have one!! Usually I am told that this "other"world is not real or that it is a fantasy world by other people...
I belive it is quite real, it is just that it is so fantastic and different than the more mundane (generally speaking) one that occupies most of my day.

:cool:

glm
05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
No, when I was a child everyday was sex, drugs, and Rock 'n Roll. But when I was ten, I was forced to go to rehab.

Letti
05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
No, when I was a child everyday was sex, drugs, and Rock 'n Roll. But when I was ten, I was forced to go to rehab.

Do you mean you lived this way when you were around the age of 5? That's something.

mia/susannah
05-06-2008, 03:38 AM
As a child, and still am as an adult, I am a solitary person for the most part. Was never good at making friends in the real world so I had imaginary friends. The places we went in my mind. I have a great imagination.

Letti
05-06-2008, 03:46 AM
I had imaginary friends, too. Some of them were humans and some of them were animals. Wherever I went a great deal of imaginary creatures followed me. :)

jayson
05-06-2008, 05:07 AM

are you Drew Barrymore? :lol:

obscurejude
05-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Also, why do the imaginary friends have to cease after re-hab?

:lol:

jayson
05-06-2008, 07:10 AM
isn;t one of the 12 steps to renounce imaginary friends?

obscurejude
05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Not if they're your higher power.

jayson
05-06-2008, 07:22 AM
now there's a good point my non-imaginary friend.

glm
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Do you mean you lived this way when you were around the age of 5? That's something.

I had my first shot at the age of four, after that just imagine Slash, Steven Tyler, Jimi Hendrix and all of them. That was my life . . . before rehab.

are you Drew Barrymore? :lol:
No . . . Brooke Shields.

KevinFlys
05-18-2008, 02:00 AM
No spam on the site, Please.

Matt
05-18-2008, 07:27 AM
This user has been banned. Sorry about that you guys, busy night last night. :lol:

Lily-sai
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I never had imaginary friends, though I wanted one, but however hard I tried, it didn't work.. =) But a fantasy world, oh yes.

It started with knocking the backs of the wardrobes (at the age of six-something), checking if there wouldn't be a doorway into the wintry Narnia. Well, there wasn't. sigh. Then there was Lord of the Rings, and oh, how much I wished I could find the Straight Road and flee into the Undying Lands. Even Tol Eressëa would have been enough for me. :)

Nowadays I just dwell in the birch woods, in forever-gray twilight, occasionally walking at the beach and sometimes stepping into the swan-boat - I always sink into sleep before my boat reaches the Last Shore. A good way to unwind and forget about everything, being gently lulled into sleep by the soft waves of the Great Sea. =)

Brice
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I never had imaginary friends, though I wanted one, but however hard I tried, it didn't work..

I know what you mean. It really hurts when they reject you. I had imaginary enemies. :cry:

Matt
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
What a beautiful fantasy.

I am the same, could never conjure an imaginary friend. I always thought it was a lack of imagination and envied people that could.

Since I started reading SK, I'm always on the lookout for other worlds.

AlishaRiley
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh, Christ, I had the most vivid imaginary friends, ever.
I also had a very "real" imaginary world. A lot of the time I still bloody live in it now! My imagination's been my best friend since I first discovered how abnormally vast it could be. :D

Lily-sai
04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
It indeed hurts when those imaginary friends reject you. My friend had imaginary hedgehogs and she kept telling people 'Don't sit there!! Wait!' and went to pick them off, then said person could sit on that chair. I just wondered what was going on, and why didn't I have such cute animals on my reach? :D
Later I discovered Middle-Earth, and understood that my imagination wasn't handicapped, as I had at first feared.. ;)

Letti
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh, Christ, I had the most vivid imaginary friends, ever.
I also had a very "real" imaginary world. A lot of the time I still bloody live in it now! My imagination's been my best friend since I first discovered how abnormally vast it could be. :D

It would be great to know more about them. :)

Lily - I am your opposite. I didn't try to create fantasy friends but they appeared suddenly when I didn't even think about them and they stayed with me for long.

Matt
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
See...it used to mean you were crazy, now it means you are cool. :lol:

Letti
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
See...it used to mean you were crazy, now it means you are cool. :lol:

Really? Do you think so..? :dance:

AlishaRiley
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, there was a green mouse called Cheddar (At the point I created him, i had no idea that Cheddar was a type of cheese. :P) And a lion named Zippy. Like all imaginary friends, I genuinely believed they were there, and they used to "look after me" while I slept. :)
I remember a day, very vividly, when Zippy went on holiday, and Cheddar decided at the last minute to go with him. :( I was truly devastated! :lol: They came back around a week later, of course.

These guys stayed with me up until I was around 10...I guess that's pretty old to have imaginary friends!! I put it down to the fact that i was a pretty solitary kid, and when i actually started making real friends, I guess I didn't need them anymore...

Oh, to be a child!! :wub: I loved those guys!

Matt
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM
In you and Alisha's case-very much so :wub:

Letti
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Okay, let me give you an example. I had a really good imaginary friend for long, it was a lion and he was called Igor. He appeared at the grave of my uncle when I visited it with my father. I was around the age of 12 or so.
Don't send me to madhouse, please. :)

Letti
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, there was a green mouse called Cheddar (At the point I created him, i had no idea that Cheddar was a type of cheese. :P) And a lion named Zippy. Like all imaginary friends, I genuinely believed they were there, and they used to "look after me" while I slept. :)
I remember a day, very vividly, when Zippy went on holiday, and Cheddar decided at the last minute to go with him. :( I was truly devastated! :lol: They came back around a week later, of course.

These guys stayed with me up until I was around 10...I guess that's pretty old to have imaginary friends!! I put it down to the fact that i was a pretty solitary kid, and when i actually started making real friends, I guess I didn't need them anymore...

Oh, to be a child!! :wub: I loved those guys!

Oh, I was even older when I had them but it's hard to remember,
For my part I knew they were from my fantasy, from my own mind but I loved them the same and I felt.. as if.. I had been their mother. Their creator. They ued to be very thankful because I gave life to them. :rolleyes:

AlishaRiley
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Letti, that's actually a very lovely story. Igor + Zippy shoould be friends. :wub: :lol:

:lol: Matt, I think I'd still be judged as pretty crazy, regardless. :P I did see a counsellor a couple of times when I was younger, and she asked me loads of questions about Zippy and Cheddar, but I'd never tell her anything. :orely:
I guess I was considered crazy around that time. :wtf:

Matt
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I think it's cool and always wished I could have something like it as a kid. I was very lonely.

Letti
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Letti, that's actually a very lovely story. Igor + Zippy shoould be friends. :wub: :lol:

I am sure about that. Igor was a very friendly lion. :lol:

AlishaRiley
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
As was my dear Zippy. :)
When i think back to it now, i think maybe a part of me knew that they were just a figment of my imagination, but perhaps I just didn't want to believe it. :orely:

It's strange remembering those times. Bittersweet. :)

Letti
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe they are together somewhere. ;)

AlishaRiley
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
:couple:

What a nice thought. :D